PDA

View Full Version : Miniatures in a Table top game

darth venomous
16 December 2004, 12:41 AM
Hey guys,

It's been a long time since I poked my head around here, but I'm taking up the d20 game again and I found out about the minitures that have started to come out. Now I've never really had a chance to try a miniature game of any sort though I have to say that with the varying situations you can find yourself in just a Table top session, miniatures seem like a great resource to keep things straight. I was wondering if I were to buy then if the scaling of the miniatures would intergrate easily with the rule for combat given in the RPG Core.

The Ghost
16 December 2004, 03:00 AM
all WotC miniatures are already scaled to fit standard 1" battle-maps.
(D&D and SW minis)

i actually buy them for Tabletop purposes, and my group has only tried playing the D&D Miniatures "game" once.

with how expensive pewter figures are, the plastic miniatures are worth the price.

watanabe2k
16 December 2004, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I have shelled out $100's of dollars on the mini's and have only play the mini game once. The rest I am painting, customizing, using for my table top games.

For example I have 3 Obi-wan's, so I took one, and painted his robes black, repainted his face, gave him some dark hair, removed the beard, and presto! I had my gmc for the NJO games that I run.

Altman
16 December 2004, 12:45 PM
I've been using mini's in my table top games for years. I love the fact that the star wars & D&D mini's are both scaled to the battlemat i already owned.

I will say it's much easier to figure out if your under cover, and many other things while using the minies and a map. much better than trying to remember how far away the guy your shooting at is after you've both moved at strange angles to eachother...

That being said...they are sometimes easier to deal with if you have a big table to game around. Particularly if you are in a crossover game like i am, and find your GM using some of the Huge scale D&D minies...I'll say even a 1/2 stone giant Jedi ducks when the huge dragons start showing up.

darth venomous
16 December 2004, 03:45 PM
cool, thanks guys, now I have a few more stocking stuffers for friends and family to get me.

Jedi_Knight02
6 January 2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by watanabe2k
Yeah, I have shelled out $100's of dollars on the mini's and have only play the mini game once. The rest I am painting, customizing, using for my table top games.

For example I have 3 Obi-wan's, so I took one, and painted his robes black, repainted his face, gave him some dark hair, removed the beard, and presto! I had my gmc for the NJO games that I run.
That's really cool!What kind of paint do you use?Did you paint his lightsaber,too?

kaeroth
30 January 2005, 03:51 PM
not having tons of $$ to throw around, i used shrinky film. remember shrinky dinks form back in the day? well, you cna get blank shrinky stuff. so, i got some of that from the elementary school i work at. then you draw your character or whatever on there, color it, and shrink. the things shrink to about a third of their size, so you just scale your drawing accordingly. also, you can get shrinky stuff that works in your printer. so you find the right picture (SWAG has been a great resource), make sure it's gonna print the size you want, print it, cut it out, bake 'em up, and voila! of course, your mini is only two-dimensional, but he looks just the way you want him to.