PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Age of the Republic Project

Darth Fierce
12 February 2005, 07:38 PM
As some of you might remember, I had planned to release a series of Fan Fiction stories about the earliest days of the Old Republic starting last Fall. Sadly, due to a combination of factors, I abandoned my "Foundations" project...:(

However, I am proud to say that I am ready to release a new project known as the "Golden Age of the Republic" series. While not being set as far back as my proposed "Foundations" series, this current project will take place thousands of years before the Great Hyperspace War...when the Republic was still in its youth, a time of great triumphs and horrible tragedies.

Following is the first story in the "Golden Age of the Republic" series, "Dark Power."

Darth Fierce
12 February 2005, 07:48 PM
Disclaimer: Star Wars is the property of George Lucas. I merely am playing in the galaxy he "created"...;) :D

Preface: The following story contains some descriptions of violence. Use your own discretion inasfar as if you wish to read it...

Star Wars--The Golden Age of the Republic

Dark Power

12,000 Years Before the Battle of Yavin

On the plains of Aarn Kaboth, a tiny scavenger peeked warily between the long blades of a patch of grass. Where only hours before the air had been filled with the clash of swords, blaster fire and screams of the wounded, the world suddenly seemed a very quiet place. Hesistantly, the scavenger stretched its neck to allow its long head passage between the blades. The creature, known indigenously as a tressix, looked right to left and back again in search of any sign of movement...anything that might be dangerous to it. Seeing none, the tressix ventured forth, its long ears twitching as it listened for any approaching threat.

The tressix trotted on padded feet to the nearest body lying prone on the dirt. The scavenger sniffed at the body, and quickly tapped at it with a paw, to determine whether the larger creature was merely feigning death. Satisfied that the creature was no longer alive, the tressix opened its mouth preparing to sink its teeth into exposed flesh....

Before the tressix could take the initial bite, the "thud" of a booted footstep sounded behind the scavenger. The tressix pivoted to see a creature similar to the one lying on the ground towering above it. Startled, the tressix hissed and ran for the cover of vegetation.

Commander Ijo Hance of the Republic Army watched as the small furred creature dashed away, and then said to the raven-haired man a few meters behind, "I knew that we expected a significant amount of causalities at this battle, Master Jedi, but I never imagined that it would be this bad."

The raven-haired man, Master Adan Ferrous looked over the field of dead bodies...Jedi, local military, Sith, and Massassi and replied, "And all to halt the terror caused by one being." He looked into Hance's mournful eyes, and felt a twinge of pity for the young officer. "Come," said Master Ferrous taking a step past Hance, "Let's confirm that the reign of Talik Darr has ended."

Darth Fierce
13 February 2005, 08:36 AM
Master Ferrous and Ijo Hance rode in the back of a Republic military speeder toward the ruined gateway of Darr's stronghold, the Blackened Keep. Along the path to the stronghold stood two rows of tall poles, some impaling the bodies of Jedi. "Stop here," Ferrous called to the driver as the speeder reached one particular pole.

Ferrous climbed out of the speeder to approach the pole. Upon it was the body of a Duros. The slackened jaw was opened in a position of torment, and the eyes of the Duros had dulled of all life.

"Master Nuruk," Ferrous said to the still form. "I had hoped you had not been sent with the first wave." He bowed his head and said, "May you be with the Force now." After a moment of silence, Ferrous turned, and headed back for the speeder.

As he climbed in, Commander Hance asked, "Who was that?"

Looking back at the dead Jedi, Ferrous replied, "Soz Nuruk...he was my Master. I hadn't the chance to speak with him for weeks. I wasn't for sure that he had been among the first Jedi sent to assault Aarn Kaboth."

Ferrous turned his head toward the front of the speeder. "Driver, you may proceed."

At the destroyed gate, Ferrous and Hance departed from the speeder. The skeletal rectangular frame of a burned out Republic Treaded Assault Transport stood nearby. Slumped beside it sat a Twi'lek Jedi with a bloody wound on the right side of his abdomen. Ferrous rushed towards him.

"Samin Keetha, are you all right?" Ferrous asked.

The Twi'lek grinned, despite the obvious pain he was undergoing. "I'll be fine," he grunted. "We got him, Master Ferrous...we got Talik Darr."

To Be Continued...

Ronin
28 February 2005, 06:39 AM
So far I like it a lot!!!
Reminds me of LotR...and it's a fitting blend.
Particularly like the mention of a Republic Treaded Assault Transport. Nice and low tech. :)

Darth Fierce
9 April 2005, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Ronin. I've been meaning to make an update for weeks, but my job doesn't leave me with much free time. But, without any further ado, I give you the next portion of the story...

Torches flickered along the walls of the Blackened Keep's antechamber, playing light upon stone statues of former Sith Lords. Despite the fact that each Sith memorialized had long been dead, the statues' gazes kept a malevolent watch as Ferrous and Hance strode toward the keep's main hall.

Before the hall's entrance lay the corpse of a multi-limbed monstrosity, with tentacles surrounding its vicious maw. A stout, bald man approached the Jedi and commander. "It's something the Sith call a shilav," the man said, "Master Regali slew it, but was crushed in the beast's death-throes."

"Regali..." Ferrous said quietly. He looked at the bald man and said, "Kayne, show us where Talik Darr's body is..."

"Follow me," Kayne replied as he turned toward the hall. "But if you think you've seen the worst of what our forces have gone through, you are quite mistaken...."

To be Continued...