PDA

View Full Version : No SWRPG Books planned for 2005 by WotC

johnpatrickmcp
15 March 2005, 10:47 AM
Well I was just over at GamingReport.com and noticed that Wizards of the Coast had just posted thier planned 2005 release schedual. As usual there was one thing painfully abscent from it, the Star Wars Role Playing Game. So just for the record Wizards of the Coast has no planned releases for the year.

Man that sucks!

Rostek
15 March 2005, 11:19 AM
That they are willing to tell us about.
I refuse to believe that Hasbro/WotC won't attempt to feed from the money trough of Episode III.
If there's still nothing on the horizen a month after Ep III's release, then I'll concur, but I can't see a giant corp not trying to cash in... I mean it's basically a sure thing that it would sell with all the SW hype (not to mention starving us for so long :().

We shall see, though.

Vanger Chevane
15 March 2005, 01:23 PM
Seeing as we can't get anything from an Insider Source, like Moridin... ;)

I believe that WotC is working on RotE material that has to be kept Top Secret until RotS hits the theaters to keep the Flanneled Emporer from bursting that vein in his forehead. :P

"Lack of evidence is not evidence of lack." We'll have to see what WotC says in late May & June. :raised:

johnpatrickmcp
16 March 2005, 11:53 AM
All I know is that I don't care if it comes packaged with a working lightsaber I will not shell out another $40-$50 dollars for another version of the core rule book.

Okay well maybe if it comes with a working lightsaber, but otherwise not happening.

cheshire
17 March 2005, 05:52 AM
I think I had read in an FAQ somewhere that they wouldn't be publishing a new core rule book, but would publish an EIII sourcebook.

Bram Corolev
17 March 2005, 06:22 AM
I've heard the license is being renegotiated with Lucasfilm and WotC might give it up depending on how well the minis line goes. Can anyone support or debunk this?

Personally I wouldn't shed any tears if WotC lost it. They haven't done such a bang up job anyway, mostly just rehashing the old creations of WEG.

Would SWRPG be any better or worse off if WEG got it back or even if White Wolf picked it up?

cheshire
17 March 2005, 12:41 PM
I know that this might verge on going into a D6 vs. d20, but I'll risk my two cents. I've got books from both sets, but personally I wouldn't mind having some fresh material in D6. It would be interesting if they actually came out with the Jedi Galaxy Guide they had talked about.

Nonetheless, I have serious doubts that Star Wars is going to go back to WEG. I'm not sure if I can point to a specific reson why, it's just a lingering doubt.

johnpatrickmcp
17 March 2005, 12:59 PM
I just read an article over at GamingReport.com that WEG announced at gamma that they have secured rights and are publishing a Star Trek RPG. This could be a good sign that WEG has gotten their feet back under them and they could pettition for the license again.

hisham
20 March 2005, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by cheshire
Nonetheless, I have serious doubts that Star Wars is going to go back to WEG. I'm not sure if I can point to a specific reson why, it's just a lingering doubt.

Here's my reason.

WOTC --> Hasbro --> George Lucas.

(--> = "is owned by")

Unless something really profound occurs, I don't see anything that can cause WOTC to lose the license in the near future.

hisham
20 March 2005, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by johnpatrickmcp
I just read an article over at GamingReport.com that WEG announced at gamma that they have secured rights and are publishing a Star Trek RPG. This could be a good sign that WEG has gotten their feet back under them and they could pettition for the license again.

A D6 Star Trek RPG???? Oh, the irony. :D

Dr_Worm
20 March 2005, 11:34 AM
If a huge (for an RPG company) corp. like WoTC cannot make money off of SWRPG (largely due to licensing) then I see no hope for another publisher to be successful.

Grimace
20 March 2005, 11:58 AM
Of course, using the same rationalization, one could say that if WEG could go bankrupt when they had Star Wars, then so could WOTC:raised: .

Okay, that's ignoring certain facts, but so is assuming no other company could make a game genre more successful than WOTC.

The whole point of fact is that, as of now, no new material is being put out. Now, true, they might be holding some as "secret" until the movie comes out, but then one would have to wonder about the rationale of causing fear and consternation in their fans by making the fans think nothing new is coming out. That would be a good way to drive away some fans.

It would be interesting to have a poll on what people's outlook is on the "life" of Star Wars with the WOTC line. I would be curious how many are being driven away by the marketing plan of WOTC right now.

REG
20 March 2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by johnpatrickmcp

Sorry, but that's not the official Paramount Star Trek universe that they're doing a d6 and a d20 version, which will add to the current GURPS version in the market today.

Prime Directive RPG is based on the universe of Star Fleet Battles, which derived from TOS (minus the trademarks owned by Paramount, including Captain KIrk) and the Star Trek Technical Manual by Franz Joseph. Think of it as an alternate universe.

So, if you're expecting stuff from TNG and later series, you won't find it here.

As for Star Wars, I too am hoping that they are waiting until the release of the final film so that whatever ended up on the theater screen is reflected onto the pages of the RPG products. After all, we role-players want details. Though I confess, the waiting is the hardest part.

Faraer
20 March 2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Dr_Worm
If a huge (for an RPG company) corp. like WoTC cannot make money off of SWRPG (largely due to licensing) then I see no hope for another publisher to be successful. It's not that the SWRPG wasn't making money, but that it wasn't making *enough* money. Compared to other RPG publishers, Hasbro/WotC has both much higher overheads and a higher profit margin that it deems acceptable. Conversely, a smaller company that could make a comfortable profit would have less money to make the books glossy, less advertising and distribution muscle, and less chance of being granted the licence.

Dr_Worm
20 March 2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Faraer
It's not that the SWRPG wasn't making money, but that it wasn't making *enough* money. Compared to other RPG publishers, Hasbro/WotC has both much higher overheads and a higher profit margin that it deems acceptable. Conversely, a smaller company that could make a comfortable profit would have less money to make the books glossy, less advertising and distribution muscle, and less chance of being granted the licence.

As much as I would like to belive that is true, I just don't think that is the case. The liscencing fees are likely huge, and the expectations of the LFL burocracy are likely overbearing. When WEG started making SWRPG it was not nearly the hot marketing commodity that it is today. As a result LFL has used it's copywrite power and has imposed serious restrictions and fees for anyone using the SW name.

Ewen_Rawthor
1 April 2005, 02:14 PM
No more WotC books ever! Heck, I like this system, flawed as it may be. I wonder how much tweaking the WEG d20 books are going to need to fit in with the current game. Also, does this mean the WotC books are going to go out of print? Could anyone with better knowledge of the licensing laws than me guess at when this might happen? Should I be stocking up now?

Talon Razor 'GM'
1 April 2005, 03:18 PM
Hey buddy. Click the link that post gets it sources from. ;)

Then come back and go "Oh". Meanwhile, I'll enjoy a good laugh.

Darth_Cassed
1 April 2005, 03:19 PM
Hey there Ewen_Rawthor, I uh suggest you to click the link that notifies the source at the bottom of that article. ;)

This Link is the source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fool%27s_Day)

Ewen_Rawthor
3 April 2005, 04:09 AM
Eh, leave me be. In England, if you pull an april fool's joke after midday, the joke's on you, so I stop looking out for them at noon.

wolfe
3 April 2005, 09:53 AM
you folks are aware that WOTC has been "reviewing the RPG license" for some time.
most folks in the industry have considered the line dead.

this isnt april fools- only fools continue that stupid tradition past the 4th grade- ,or rumor,this has been out for some time,even mentioned on t.v.

suprised it hasnt been mentioned here..

Talon Razor 'GM'
3 April 2005, 12:59 PM
Hey buddy.

Few things:

1. The guy who pulled that prank actually has worked for the company Wizards on the Coast. So I think he kinda knows a little more then some "internet rumor".

2. It's not the best idea to go and kinda insult the whole of the internet, for everyone is doing it. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_1%2C_2005)

3. We actually know nothing about the line until futher information comes out. It's very hard to put any exact information on something until we get more information. Is the line dead? Probably but you can't keep people from speculating until we got a solid answer.

Have a great day.

Darth_Cassed
3 April 2005, 01:07 PM
Hey wolfe, no need to be hostile. The real truth is that it was an April Fool's joke. If you look back to that article, it even notes that it's a joke, so problem solved. :)

heh, april fool's jokes are a longstanding tradition among Star Wars fans. SWAG has a yearly one, Network can pull a few legs, and even Star Wars.com usually has a prank! :D

Grimace
3 April 2005, 01:19 PM
I think several people need to settle down and chill out.

Wolfe, not everyone that pulls a prank once a year is a fool. Some people just don't take life as serious as others.

Talon, that was unnecessary and uncalled for!

Cassed, you should know better regarding the first part of your post.

I suggest dropping the subject of who's a fool and who's not before things get uglier than they're already heading.

wolfe
3 April 2005, 02:37 PM
wasnt saying the link was real -didnt even care to read it-... guess should have made that clearer.

just the reviewing of the license was real.

the reviewing was mentioned by members of wotc not a rumor trying to emphasise that part, not the link..

as for insults. not really was meant to be.
its widley known as a fools day where fools fool the foolish..
thats been said for years.. no need to get insulted over being called a fool on fools day..

seems like people get cranky this time of year..

ive seen a few people get injured and killed over "april fools" jokes.
many people dont even acknowledge the day anymore.. we're too busy doing having fun with people than wasting time trying to make them look foolish,humilitaing and insulting them, to many thats foolish.

i spent my day showing kids some of our weapon systems, answering questions, letting some folks fire some light arms,-up to m134- having a BBQ and having a grand ol time..

some folks make people look foolish, others blow ---- up and have a grand 'ol time..

:D

REG
3 April 2005, 02:55 PM
Gee, for a moment there I thought you were ranting about the validity of April Fool's Day. :P

Sithspawn
4 April 2005, 03:27 PM
I went to Memorabilia yesterday (a show with loads of sci-fi stars & merchandising) in Birmingham, UK. I was surprised that WOTC had a stand, so I took the opportunity to ask about the RPG line. The official answer was (from a guy who looked like he'd been asked this question all day) that they have nothing planned for this year as they are concentrating on the Mini's :(

On the plus, they were giving out a free Kit Fisto Mini B)

Nightsider
8 April 2005, 12:16 PM
WotC does seem to be concentrating on the Minis line, saddly to the exclusion of the RPG. Oh, well. Not long ago, some friends and me cracked open the old WEG Star Wars RPG and had a blast. I had forgotten how much fun the d6 version was. The WEG version put the emphasis on FUN.

:yoda:

PadawanJohn
11 April 2005, 09:25 AM
Do you suppose that an organized, civil petition to WotC - electronically signed by a few thousand or so Star Wars RPG players - would have any motivating force?

:hansolo:

Darth_Cassed
11 April 2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by PadawanJohn
Do you suppose that an organized, civil petition to WotC - electronically signed by a few thousand or so Star Wars RPG players - would have any motivating force?

Quite simply, I think this has been done. If not once, then several times. Several thousand dollars might change their minds ;)

SmugglerJedi
28 April 2005, 02:46 PM
Oh, a new explosion of SWRPG products will come out after Ep3, as that is where the few thousand dollars <b>Cassed</b> was referring to will come. WOTC <i>can't</i> not cash in on Ep3 and the SW craze. So everyone, chill out, wait for 2006. In the meantime, start creating PDFs on your favorite SWRPG topics and keep playing the game. Just because no new products are coming out doesn't mean you can't enjoy the game.

Now, I don't know about D6, but personally, I don't think WEG will get the license again. If Hasbro is owned by Lucas, then WOTC will definitely keep the license. Whether or not you like D20 is irrelevant; WOTC will keep the license. If you don't like D20, fine; go play it in D6 with your own books or even GURPS or some other system. No one says you have to do things WOTC's way; in my words:

<b>
"RPG mechanics are meant to be hacked, slashed, and basically slaughtered to appease the maniacal whims of the players and the GM."
</b>

So, who really cares? I don't need any new SWRPG books (except a continuation of the Arms & Equipment Guide) for now, so I'm happy.

SJ.