PDA

View Full Version : Ep 3 novelisation.

wolverine
15 March 2005, 02:32 PM
Anyone know the author for the episode 3 novelization?? When it will be coming out??

watanabe2k
15 March 2005, 08:13 PM
I know James Luceno wrote "Labyrinth of Evil" a prequel to episode iii. I think Matthew Stover is doing the episode iii novel, but I am not 100% sure.

Tao
17 March 2005, 05:59 AM
if my memory serves me correctly, the novelization for ep 3 should be out the beginning of april.

watanabe2k
17 March 2005, 09:05 AM
I think it was April 2nd or 5th.........

I always found it weird that the novel comes out first.......... But I guess people can make more money with a novel before a movie than after.......

hisham
20 March 2005, 03:00 AM
Amazon.com is your friend! (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0345428838/ref=cm_bg_f_3/102-1556069-0291317?v=glance&s=books)

wolverine
20 March 2005, 10:47 AM
Many thanks..

jedi_lucky
7 April 2005, 11:55 AM
is the book out now or are we all still waiting? i definately want to read this one since the raider scene was cut out of the last movie! i would love to see what gets cut, if anything from this one!

lucky
:daala:

Nova Spice
8 April 2005, 06:42 AM
It's been out for a week. I've already read it. ;)

Garan
8 April 2005, 06:54 AM
HmmÖ. Am I the only one thinking that the novel is a lot better then the film will ever be? Especially if you read the script and see all the good stuff they just cut out, so we can get more time for pixel wars. :/

Nova Spice
8 April 2005, 07:05 AM
HmmÖ. Am I the only one thinking that the novel is a lot better then the film will ever be? Especially if you read the script and see all the good stuff they just cut out, so we can get more time for pixel wars.

First off, books are almost always better than the film version.

Secondly, there's a great deal in the film that Stover didn't even bother to touch in the book, which makes me believe that the film is likely to be far more enthralling in some aspects than the book.

For instance:

Stover doesn't even cover the massive battle that occurs on Kashyyyk. He simply mentions that Yoda goes to Kashyyyk and that's the end of it. And from what I've seen and heard, the Battle of Kashyyyk is supposed to be one of the high-lights of the entire saga.

Stover also doesn't go in to any detail about the specific, high-profile Jedi that are killed by Order Sixty-Six. We know, in the film, that there's a montage of the most prolific Jedi being killed from Order Sixty-Six.

Garan
8 April 2005, 07:21 AM
Thatís what I meant with pixel war. ;) @ Kashyyyk
It just strikes me that Lucas is pretty much just trying to compensate for not getting the Wooks to be the natives of Endor, as he originally wanted. Sure it well be a massive and grand battle scene, but animated warriors beating each other up is becoming so common in epic movies, itís getting a bit repetitive. ;)

As for order 66. Watching Jedi chars that I got to like through the EU, getting shoot in the back, or blown up without much chance of defending themselves, is certainly not going to be my favourite part of the movie. :(

jedi_lucky
8 April 2005, 08:14 AM
wow its been out for a week!!! i guess im slacking! thanks for the info!

lucky

Jonesy
8 April 2005, 11:28 AM
He also wrote the New Jedi Order Book Traitor and the Clone Wars book Shatterpoint with Mace Windu. Both were done very well.

jedi_lucky
8 April 2005, 11:42 AM
if he wrote traitor and shatterpoint it should be an excellent book! i loved both and traitor was one of my favorites from the NJO series!

lucky

Nova Spice
8 April 2005, 11:53 AM
if he wrote traitor and shatterpoint it should be an excellent book! i loved both and traitor was one of my favorites from the NJO series

It is an excellent read. Stover, like he does with Jacen/Vergere in Traitor and Mace Windu in Shatterpoint, gets inside everyone's head and gives you their thoughts and personal turmoils. And the seduction by Sidious is ingenius and very believable.

It's truly an impressive read for an undoubtedly explosive and impressive finale to the Star Wars films.

jedi_lucky
8 April 2005, 11:58 AM
looks like i will be making a trip to the bookstore this weekend so i can read it myself. i have been looking forward to it for awhile but now i am really excited!

thanks
lucky

VixenofVenus
9 April 2005, 12:30 PM
Hey all ... so the superlurker is just checking in because I picked up the book earlier this week, left all civilization behind, read the book the first day and was grumpy for almost a week because I had no one to rant or rave to ... everyone with me wasn't really a fan of Star Wars or didn't want to know. Not all of what follows is spoiler, but I just don't think I can sort it all out ... so now ... I shall vent all ...

Ok, so to begin, Matt Stover is a great novelist ... and of course props go to GL for the story of magic. Even if Stover's presentation is what made me finish the book three times in five days, it was the story that made me pick it up every time, and GL is the man for that.

Next, the wookiees were left out almost entirely and after watching my husband play through SW: Republic Commando and the wonderful work done on the story of that game with the wookiees, I expected more than just the mention of them ... but I know from the movie trailer's we'll see more ... also ... since Chewie was confirmed, and not in the book it actually makes you wonder if GL was like, "Hey Matt, uh ... cut out all that wookiee stuff.' Matt, 'Why?' GL, 'Cause I think I want em to be surprised!'

Next, I haven't actually been doing alot of SPOILERING for this one, I've been reading non-spoilered 'guessing' and 'supposing' like everyone and been talking about it of course with friends, so the fall of Anakin wasn't a complete suprise (well I mean how he fell, not 'that' he fell), but it was well portrayed and basically the core of the whole story. Without the fall of Anakin, the story would have no heart whatsoever. Also, I've been saying for about nine years now that the only thing that could possibly make Anakin fall to the darkside but not completly fall was his wife, the mother of Luke & Leia. I've actually been saying it since I heard there were going to be prequels and we didn't even know the name of their mother ... but anyway ... I'm glad I was right ... partially.

Next, the constant pulling and tearing of Anakin between Obi-Wan & Palpatine is the next best thing to sheer poetry. It was perfectly written in the novel and I hope is given the time to develope in the film. After reading the first 120 pages, I realized that to truly have all that was there, it would take about 40 minutes to get through it all, and by my estimates, that would make the movie about 2hrs and 20 minutes ... which is typically ... too long for George, but I sure hope that since he isn't going to fight the PG13 rating ... he might fight his instinct to snip snip snip and we'll have the 2.5 hr movie we deserve for such a climactic finish.

Next, Bail Organa was so instrumental, I want to elect him President of the United States of America (or at least the Democratic Nominee :D)

Next, I want a novel about Leia as a child ... we still have too much left over from the "She was kind ... but sad." line from RotJ. I need closure on this issue folks. I thought I was going to get it by Leia being born first and having a Force connection with Padme for an instant, but I was robbed by that damned farmboy again!

Next, THERE BETTER DAMN BE MORE SPEAKING COMIN' OUT OF THAT VOCABULATOR!! The man in the black mask only has a handful of lines in the book, he better have more in the movie ... or the 'deep voice' he gets better sound a lot more like James Earl or I'll ... I'll ... I dunno ... but it won't be pretty! (shakes fist)

Next, Ok ... so Yoda as an ugly baby ... hrm ... no comment.

Finally, the last words in the book ... I really want to know who wrote them ... was it Matt Stover writing all of the snippets before each part about the darkness ... or was it GL ... or what!? I didn't really like them until I read the last page ... then they all made sense ... as did the Prophesy of the Chosen One. It made sense in the way that we all knew it would, but the words put what we couldn't put into words ... into ... well ... words!!! Whoever wrote the words ... Matt or George or whoever ... this is my thanks from the bottom of my heart and soul for writing them.

And so ends a rave ... or a rant, from a certain point of view.

P.S. I'm giving up "waiting" for ~Star Wars Lent~. I WANT IT NOW!!! I CAN'T WAIT FOURTY DAYS!!

Nova Spice
9 April 2005, 01:04 PM
Vixen! Long time, no see! 8o :D

Anyway, I'm with you on just about all your points. And I agree that this film needs to be a two and a half hour piece to end the saga.

neolink111
12 April 2005, 05:19 PM
hey, i was wondering, does anyone think the commandos will be in the film? i heard they were. someone else said it would be the actual delta squad. anyone know if that's certain or anything yet?

Nova Spice
12 April 2005, 08:26 PM
hey, i was wondering, does anyone think the commandos will be in the film? i heard they were. someone else said it would be the actual delta squad. anyone know if that's certain or anything yet?

If I recall correctly:

I believe there will be both Clone Commandoes on Utapau with Obi-Wan and Felucia with Aayla Secura.

Wesly Senesca
13 April 2005, 11:35 AM
I've had a copy of the trade paperback comic of the movie which--after comparing it with stuff I've heard about the book--is accurate to the movie. So to answer some questions, here goes...

(remember spoilers being made by a forums retard with little time for formalities, so watch it!!)

First, off, Nova Spice, yes, they're are commandos complete with Aayla--complete with funky stripes and quasi personalities (i.e. snappy saying before killing stuff). Vixen, as far as the whole Leia thing goes, she could just be remembering her adopted mother. Remember (or not) that Padme died in childbirth, so how would either of them have any cognitive memory of their real mother? And as far as the Obi-Wan/Papatine conflict goes, I believe it is fair enough to do the job; but sinse I don't know about what happens in the book, I can't really tell if its an exact copy. Hope that's enough.

Jedi_Shadow
13 April 2005, 11:42 AM
Just read it for myself, and if the movie is only half as good as the book, it will be an incredible movie!

VixenofVenus
15 April 2005, 10:14 AM
First, Wesly Senesca:
I'd read a treatment for the movie about two years ago which had supposedly 'leaked' out of LucasFilm ... actually I know personally (I didn't do it, but I know who did) that it was stolen right out of the ranch ... anyway, even I was skeptical about how real it was until I read the novelization ... it was right about many things, but not all ... the biggest thing being where Yoda acted like a child ... in the treatment it was to escape Clones on Kashyyyk ... and then the 2nd biggest thing was that Leia was born first and there was supposed to be a tender moment where the music/lighting and mood would 'show' a Force connection between mother and daughter and Padme would shed a single tear and then die ... of course, the novel obviously shows that these two things were changed between treatment and final script ... the former for the better, the latter for the worse ... at least in my opinion ...

2ndly, Wesly Senesca:
You're right, with the way it is in the novel (and probably the film), it could just mean that Leia is talking about her adoptive mother. After recently watching RotJ again (after reading the book) I see now that Leia may actually have never really been told that she was adopted and up until that point when Luke told her that Vader was his father and she was his sister, she really never knew, but her gut, ie 'the Force' had always been trying to tell her. So it stands to reason that the reason her mother, the Queen was always so sad was probably because of the state of the galaxy and the fact that she could probably never bring herself to tell Leia who her real family was. I mean, could you tell your very young daugher, "Leia honey, we're not really your parents ... your mom was a great lady who died in child birth and your father is that mass-murdering half-human machine that is basically ruling the universe."

And 'C'
I'm pretty sure that we'll see some clones in the movie who we're supposed to infer are Delta Squad ... and I know the clone who Obi-Wan is almost killed by (can't remember his name from the book) is the Clone trooper leader that Obi-Wan worked with in a few episodes of the Clone Wars cartoons.

Wesly Senesca
15 April 2005, 11:36 AM
Hey Grimace, thanks for putting my post in order. The other day, I was almost late for work when I wrote the post. Also, I'd never done one of those things before so learning would have made me later than I already was. Thanks.

Nova Spice
15 April 2005, 01:39 PM
The Clone's name is Commander Cody, Vixen. :)

Sithspawn
20 April 2005, 03:21 AM
A friend bought me the Ep.III storybook. But I don't want to look at it. It will spoil the movie. But it's so tempting. Arghhh! Adventure. Excitement. The Dark Side are they. It's sitting on my desk begging to be opened up. The temptation. The Dark Side. Episode 3 !!! Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi... 8o

jedi_lucky
21 April 2005, 05:17 PM
i finally read it! it was awesome! i read it in like three days! i absolutely loved it!

lucky

Jedimonkey27
27 April 2005, 02:27 PM
I was going to wait to read it but I got my copy signed by Matt Stover at CII and I fell to temptation.:emperor: I think that Ep3 could very well be one of the best Star Wars movies, ever!

Jedimonkey27

Master Dao Rin
28 April 2005, 02:23 PM
I'm pretty sure it's gonna be better than Empire. It all depends on how George handles ( as in, directs ) the dramatic scenes.

Nova Spice
28 April 2005, 02:38 PM
According to Kevin Smith, RotS blows everything out of the water. He put his review up on his website. Be warned, it does contain spoilers. B)

Wesly Senesca
28 April 2005, 07:15 PM
According to Kevin Smith, RotS blows everything out of the water.

Hey, if respected writer, directer, and dedicated Star Wars supergeek Kevin Smith approves, then that has to mean something.