PDA

View Full Version : Clone Wars Ultimate Missions?

Hightower
16 March 2005, 09:56 AM
Has anyone seen or used this book yet?

Donovan Morningfire
19 March 2005, 12:30 PM
I picked it up from my local gaming shop this past Sunday, and have leafed through it a couple times.

I can't say any of the scenarios really grabbed my attention, but there were a few new supplemental rules that I found interesting, mostly those applying to campaigns, but as much for one-shot games. The huge-sized tile/creatures (3x3) might be a clue as to what we can expect in the Huge-sized expansion set, which I guess is kinda neat.

I would say unless you got a lot of use out of the Rebel Storm UM book, this one might be a pass unless you've got money to burn, as the price tag is $30.

Hightower
19 March 2005, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the info. I did buy the First Ultimate Missions book, so I will have to take a look if I can find it...

Reverend Strone
20 March 2005, 04:18 PM
Donovan (or anyone with a copy), how would you rate it next to UM RS?

Better? Worse? More of the same?

It's interesting to me to notice how little traffic any threads about these books get next to the anticipation a new SW RPG sourcebook used to generate. It would surprise me greatly if the sales numbers don't relect the same trend.

I do hope someone over at WOTC is paying attention. As attractive as these books might be, there's just no substitute for a dense, hardcover RPG sourcebook.

gordoss_Vaa
21 March 2005, 11:19 AM
i miss the good old days..... and your artwork:(

Reverend Strone
21 March 2005, 03:34 PM
Aw shuks G. Thanks. :o

Actually, I have art in both the UM books so far.

gordoss_Vaa
21 March 2005, 03:38 PM
damn, i;'ve been out of this game 2 long....

Donovan Morningfire
22 March 2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Reverend Strone
Donovan (or anyone with a copy), how would you rate it next to UM RS?

Better? Worse? More of the same?
I'd rate it as being a little bit better. The only reason being that the added rules options mesh with the minis rules better and seem to be more thought-out than in RS, things such as what's required to shoot a window out, and that the damage from effects is in increments of 10, not 5. Otherwise, it's pretty much more of the same.

And as much as I'd love the bean-counters to take notice and get us RPGers some solid sourcebooks, if they're not doing much to coincide with the marketing blitz surrounding the last Star Wars movie ever, then I don't think the prospects are all that good of us getting anything SW-related out of WotC besides more minis and trading cards.

Ris
9 May 2005, 07:54 AM
Amazon's prices on the 1st 2 Ultimate Missions books are $12 for UM: Rebel Storm & $19.79 for UM: Clone Strike.

Dono (or anyone else), I've gathered that neither book is worth the $30 list price. Are one or both books worth those discounted prices above? (Shipping cost isn't a consideration, since buying both would meet the $25 minimum for free shipping, or if we only wanted one, would combine with another purchase.)

Donovan Morningfire
9 May 2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Ris
Amazon's prices on the 1st 2 Ultimate Missions books are $12 for UM: Rebel Storm & $19.79 for UM: Clone Strike.

Dono (or anyone else), I've gathered that neither book is worth the $30 list price. Are one or both books worth those discounted prices above? (Shipping cost isn't a consideration, since buying both would meet the $25 minimum for free shipping, or if we only wanted one, would combine with another purchase.)
In brief, I would say not really. Or at least not at this time. Personally, I'd wait for the CS book to drop down a bit more in price (and will probably do so not long after the UM: RotS book comes out).

The Ghost
9 May 2005, 06:09 PM
here's me sounding like a jerk:

the Ultimate Missions books are almost completely worthless.
to be honest, the setups are something i would more expect as a web enhancement and not tossed into a book that actually costs money.

the art's fine, but it's just a bunch of scenario setups and then some cardstock that isn't even easy to detach.

if your only hobby is playing the SW strategy game with the minis, maybe they're good. for everyone else, don't waste your cash.

i get more use out of the RotS starter box heavy board than i do out of the flimsy paper map that came from UMRS.