PDA

View Full Version : ROTS Soundtrack

Sithspawn
18 March 2005, 07:41 AM
Just read about the release of the ROTS CD over at theforce.net. Comes with a DVD of extras.

But, unlike the AOTC CDs, can I play it on my PC? :?
I don't know if the AOTC CD will play on PCs, but the cover says it won't so I never bought it.

I use my PC as my stereo. What is the point of me buying a CD I cannot play? Surely such anti-piracy action is more damaging to sales that the piracy? Besides, the pirates will probably have ripped such protection anyway. Maybe I should have gone on-line and downloaded the AOTC clone tracks for free (I didn't BTW)?!!! :raised:

cheshire
18 March 2005, 08:59 AM
Not only have I played the AOTC on my PC, but I made a copy of it, which you are also not supposed to be able to do (so I hear).

Vanger Chevane
18 March 2005, 02:37 PM
Note: This only applies to the United States & my amateur understanding of the details involved.

If you own a Copyrighted work, current Copyright Law allows you to make one copy For Personal Use Only. This allows you to buy something like the DVD Box Set, play it once to copy the data, then leave the Original Discs on the shelf gaining Collector's Value while you watch the copies. You cannot sell the copy & if you part with the Original, cannot keep the copy in its place.

But it also in no way stipulates the manufacturer has to make it easy for you, and does make some tools available & used illegal.

For example, I have a collection of videotapes of an old (one of the first & most responsible for bringing the Genre here) Anime Series. I had to check a dozen or so different VCRs before I found one that would allow me to make a copy so I could watch & trash out the tapes without losing my investment in the originals. Kill a tape, trash it & make a copy of the little-played & high-quality originals.

Should I ever part with those tapes, I'll have to destroy said copies as I no longer possess the Copyrighted Work that allows me to legally possess one copy of it. Were I to keep my copies & sell the originals, at that point I could fall into the Pirate Category, and incur all the legal hassles and penalties thereof. Also owning a Videotape Duplication Machine may be considered illegal as it would allow me to pirate videotapes & that would be the most likely reason an individual would own one for non-business purposes.

cheshire
19 March 2005, 07:50 AM
I suppose I should have added that I made the copy so that I could take it to work with me in my discman without fear of it getting lost, damaged, or stolen.

I got tired of having to use a CD Dr on all of my favorite CDs, and so I started copying them.

I have every intention of doing that with the RotS soundtrack if I am at all able. :)

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
19 March 2005, 03:35 PM
The bugger of it is-

I've bought cd's within last year and some of them won't work in my diskman without having skips in the music induced by the stupid (so far have yet to be effective) copy-protection schemes...

Kinda stupid when those schemes prevents the average person from enjoying the cd on their own portable or home audio players (and those who have the means) have to resort to 'ripping' & reburning onto a cdr just so they can enjoy listning to their purchase :P - or in SIthspawn's case, where many people's computers are their music players.

Here's another one for ya- By putting / playing those store bought cds on yer computer, in which cases they prompt you to install their little player software: well, you're not listning to the actual 16bit 44.1khz quality audio, but super low 24kbps low quality encoded propreitary format & encrypted wma's. Now how's that for rip-off??? :mad:

(has been tested, on same set of speakers, on sample played via computer, then plugged the same audio jack into diskman)

So it boils down to either tracks skipping in personal audio players or wont work on the computer or it does work but as a seperate low quality version. Either way, people still get screwed.

Well, either way, least when I buy swIII soundtrack, i'll be able to enjoy it one way or another. (be it cd, or cdr)

So, i'm guessing the track listing will be in order of events of the movie like they usually were?

And btw, since digital music devices are quite the rage and super popular now, from mp3 / wma diskmans, to 20-60gb hd jukebox ipods, to memory stick palm or pen sized players with built in or removable memory, i'm fairly certain that now days, that the average cd buyer probably rips their own cds to put them onto thier digital music players, or at least purchases the tracks online (which now is becoming a viable option). Especially with players that accept 512mb - 2gb memstick cards, you can easily have 5 - 12+ albums carried with you in the palm of your hand... And most of those players do come with software to transfer your tunes from cd onto the player.

I'd just like to make clear that i'm not advocating ripping cds for fileshare / pirating. So lets not even talk about that particular subject.

Sithspawn
20 March 2005, 02:28 AM
The problem with downloading (and I'm talking official downloading) is that you still don't get the full CD quality as far as I was aware. So you're paying the same money for an inferior product and still have to do the burning to disc yourself.

Add to that anything with the Star Wars brand name is more expensive.

Rip off.

Oh no, I thinking I'm heading back to my anti-LFL phase 8o

cheshire
20 March 2005, 11:04 AM
Unfortunately, the only way to send a message to the music industry is not to buy their product. I'm not advocating pirating here, but rather saying that if the tampering with the product bothers you, the best thing you can do is avoid the product.

Unfortunately, when you enjoy the artist, it really kinda sucks.

Nightsider
8 April 2005, 12:20 PM
I understand the DVD included with the soundtrack has music videos of Tracks from the entire saga.