PDA

View Full Version : Temple on Dagobah

stunnedtodeath
26 March 2005, 11:15 AM
Years ago I posted a thread about the temple on Dagobah. I'm resurecing this topic in light of RoTS impending release.
In ESB, Luke drops down into a hole that leads him to a hollow under the root system of the "mystic tree" (The Art of the ESB,p. 101 footnote 2&3)
This hollow leads him to the entrance of what is clearly a doorway wide and the base and narrower at the top. This doorway w/ a corridor made of large stone beyond, is where "Vader/Luke" appears and then saber ignite - etc., etc.
This seems to indicate that there was/is a temple on Dagobah.
Although most references call this a "dark side cave" or "dark side tree" that doesn't quite compute. Why would the DS warn Luke about the dangers of following the darker path?
I hope this temple will be addressed in RoTS.

Midnight_Marauder
26 March 2005, 11:42 AM
That sounds like a good theory, but I have one question. Where in ESB did the DS warn Luke Skywalker of the danger inside the cave?

stunnedtodeath
26 March 2005, 12:18 PM
If the temple/cave was infused w/ the Dark Side then Luke's vision of himself in the Vader helmet essentially warned him from the Dark path. My personal speculation is that the projected vision was a teaching tool. The temple was just a place of training for the jedi and their apprentices and Yoda returned to live/hide in a familiar place that would let him remain strongly linked to the force in case he also was hunted down by Jedi hunting teams.
The temple being a teaching tool was an early idea of GL's in an very early draft of Star Wars according to the Annotated Screenplay.

kaeroth
30 March 2005, 11:58 AM
This is EU stuff, so of course it's bit down the ladder of "offiicaldom", but in.....i'm pretty sure it was a Zahn book, in one of the Hand of Thrawn duology books, there's talk of a guy who was on Dagobah and witnessed Yoda fighting a powerful Darksider. yoda won, of course, but the death of the Darksider left a big Dark Side imprint, like the Emperor's blot in space around Endor (again, that's from the first Zahn trilogy). the implication was that Yoda stayed near the cave because the Dark Side aura helped cancel out his Light Side presence, so Vader or other jedi hunters couldn't find him.
no mention of a temple in there, but that doesn;t really mean anything. it just explains why there would be a DS presence in what may have once been a jedi temple, or might have just been a cave formed by the roots of a tree.

Nightsider
31 March 2005, 02:45 PM
I never thought of that -- Yoda using the darkside energy to hide himself. It sounds reasonable.
We know that Palpatine was so shrouded in the dark side in Episodes I-III that the Jedi couldn't see who he really was.

jedi_lucky
8 April 2005, 10:13 AM
i always assumed that that was how yoda hid...but any theories on kenobi? how did he manage to just hide on tatooine?

lucky
:daala:

Nightsider
8 April 2005, 10:24 AM
Maybe its because Tatooine is the last place in the galaxy Vader would think to look for him.

Or perhaps Vader has blocked out his earlier memories of his former life, and thus didn't consider Tatooine. Luke said in 'Jedi' that Vader had "forgotten" his former self.

:isd:

jedi_lucky
8 April 2005, 10:32 AM
thats a good point...i never thought about it that way i just took it as a metaphore for losing the good in himself...such as losing yourself in the moment but its definately a good consideration.

thanks!

lucky
:daala: