PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the Sith Miniatures? SPOILERS HO!

Moridin
2 April 2005, 02:06 PM
Hey all,

Well, did anyone besides me pick up some Revenge of the Sith miniatures today? I did, and let me tell you, I'm tickled pink. I didn't get as many battle droids and clone troopers as I'd hoped (the ratio was down in Clone Strike from the high stormtrooper ratio in Rebel Storm) but I apparently got really lucky with my first batch.

For my rares, I got Agen Kolar and Sly Moore (boo!), but on the upside I got General Grievous on Wheelbike (a large, ultra-rare mini) and an Anakin Skywalker (Imperial ultra-rare). Additionally, I got several Utapauan soldiers and several little bitty alien medics. And my Wookiee berserker rocks!

All in all, pretty impressive for my first four boosters. I've still got to decide whether or not to order a case of Clone Strike (never got one, and they'll be going out of stock soon) or a case of Revenge of the Sith (for the cool new Episode 3 minis). Any suggestions?

Ris
2 April 2005, 07:11 PM
As some holonetters know, My Hubby & I are costumers as well as RPG'ers. Last night & today, local SW costumers of the 501st & Rebel Legions were invited to one of the Walmarts for the toy release & both of us participated. Hubby was one of the midnight costumers, since they were offered first chance to purchase the new items. Among other things, he picked up 2 Revenge starters & 2 boosters--he said they didn't have many boosters or he would have gotten more.

The starter set is in a heavy cardboard box which is big & sturdy enough for all my minis rule booklets, d20's, battlemats & cards. There's an actual gameboard (in sections for easy storage), not the paper map of the other 2 sets, plus a booklet of "Advanced Rules." I've just skimmed it, but it seems to be the full rules from Rebel Storm/Clone Strike plus new Special Abilities. It also includes 20 sided die, Quick Start Rules, Damage/Force counters, ROTS minis checklist & 6 minis.
I was a little disappointed--but not much--at the minis assortment in the starter set. In RS & CS you get 2 exclusives plus 6 randoms, while ROTS not only has 2 less, but they aren't random. The 2 exclusives are Gen. Grievous, Supreme Commander & Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master. The other 4 minis are 2 Clone Troopers & 2 Super Battle Droids.

Hubby & I didn't get anything really spectacular in our 2 boosters, alas.

Darth Jerrod
2 April 2005, 08:58 PM
Go with Clone Strike first. That way you can have a nice Old Republic Era/Rise of the Empire group of mini's from which to use.

Oh and Rodney. I hope to play ya this year at Gencon and anyone else for that matter. I plan on kickin some major butt.

Darth Jerrod

Moridin
2 April 2005, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Darth Jerrod
Oh and Rodney. I hope to play ya this year at Gencon and anyone else for that matter. I plan on kickin some major butt.

This may or may not surprise some Holonetters, but I am absolutely AWFUL at this game. I love tactical strategy games and am usually pretty good, but for some unknown reason fate conspires against me and when I try to play the minis game I just always end up getting my butt handed to me. It makes no logical sense, but I'm TERRIBLE.

I think Clone Strike now, then a case of Revenge of the Sith in the couple of months, may be in order.

Donovan Morningfire
3 April 2005, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Moridin
This may or may not surprise some Holonetters, but I am absolutely AWFUL at this game. I love tactical strategy games and am usually pretty good, but for some unknown reason fate conspires against me and when I try to play the minis game I just always end up getting my butt handed to me. It makes no logical sense, but I'm TERRIBLE.

Sometimes it all comes down to the roll of the dice. I've seen players that have flawless strategies that can't buy a successful attack roll, and clumsy clods that plow through with strings of rolls that are in the high teens.

I think Clone Strike now, then a case of Revenge of the Sith in the couple of months, may be in order.

Definitely Clone Strike, if only for a solid base for Old Republic games. A fair warning though, you'll probably end up with more Fringer commons than you can count.

Sidenote, I also snagged a couple boosters yesterday at a Borders bookshop (WallyWorld and Toys'R'Us don't sell them in my area), and am rather underwhelmed with the general sculpts. The notables I got was a Republic Medic, the Fringer Med Droid (seems good for keeping big targets alive), young Boba, and a Jedi Knight that due to lack of paint looks like one side of his head has been shaved. But then, I'm still waiting on my two cases to come in, so hopefully I'll soon have a larger selection of RotS minis.

And Ris, from what I've seen of TV spots and the theatrical trailer, I have a pretty good notion what Order 66 involves (as well reading the tiny print on the back of the booster box).

Ris
3 April 2005, 07:11 AM
Dono, I had better luck on the paint jobs. Tarfful was beautifully done (fur highlighting, shoulder armor aging, 95% of details on gear-haness & weapon) as was Gen. G from the Starter. The latter did have a few flaws where the cape lining met the body, but still very good. The worst jobs were in the Starter: the 2 clones (the orange armor markings were a little off in placement) & Obi-wan (the face, hair & undersleeves weren't done well, tho' the outer tunic was nicely detailed). All other mini's had good to very good paint jobs--many with very well done effects, such as highlighing, shadowing, and armor burnishing.
I'm a fairly good wargaming/RPG miniatures painter (even as small as 15mm scale, 2/3 to 1/2 the size of SW mini's) & was taught the art, in part, by a master, so I feel qualified to speak on this. Judging from my Obi-wan & Dono's Knight, maybe I should apply for a job as WOTC's Official Jedi-painter.

Rodney, you surely cannot do as badly as my 9 year old son. He's clever & understands the rules, but has no clue about tactics, bless him: "Hmm, Dad's got Jango & a Sith Acolyte that can get in 2 attacks right there. I think I'll keep all my troopers way back & unactivated & full-move Luminara up to the acolyte this phase." <ignores Mom telling him "why don't you have the troopers shoot that Acolye before she can close with Luminara--you'll lose her, or at least a lot of her Hit Pts if they fight right off. And trying to shoot Jango isn't a bad idea either"> :rolleyes: (Note: Dad & Mom are both experienced wargamers)

Moridin
3 April 2005, 09:26 AM
Honestly, I don't think it's my tactics. I'm great at tactical video games, and honestly the Star Wars minis game is closer to tactical RPGs on the consoles/computer than it is to wargaming. It's just that the winds of fate seem to always push my dice the wrong way. That, and my only steady opponent (DarthXavien) has the best miniature in the whole game (IMHO, Boba Fett from Rebel Storm).

Ris
3 April 2005, 12:34 PM
Moridin, I hope you didn't think I was implying your tactics were that bad! I wasn't!
I have the same kind of problem--especially when My Hubby fields Mara Jade. I have about concluded my only hope in such a case is to talk him into rerolling low rolls until he uses up all her Force Points.

Donovan Morningfire
3 April 2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Moridin
Honestly, I don't think it's my tactics. I'm great at tactical video games, and honestly the Star Wars minis game is closer to tactical RPGs on the consoles/computer than it is to wargaming. It's just that the winds of fate seem to always push my dice the wrong way. That, and my only steady opponent (DarthXavien) has the best miniature in the whole game (IMHO, Boba Fett from Rebel Storm).
Never said your tactics were the reason, mi amigo.

As for best mini, I guess it varies. Boba can be deadly against an army that fields a lot of uniques. I tend to think Sith Lord Vader was the uber-piece out of Rebel Storm. Mace Windu (and from what I've heard, Darth Maul) are the two killer pieces in Clone Strike.

Dragging this back on topic, just how brutal is Sith Apprentice Anakin?

Darth Jerrod
3 April 2005, 06:06 PM
thats alright I have won I think once.

And that was because of my partner. We tend to play 2 on 2 and take a nice pool of points and build the force and split the troops up. Makes for a longer game but we have fun.

We took a bunch of jedi vs the droid armor of my friends group and those Security Battle Droids kinda are tough at range.

When I used the sepratists we had a spider droid on the bespin map. We were to go to the far corner and hold it for 2 turns. Well that nice spider droid was keeping the republic from opening that that front door until thier arc trooper squad tossed some grenades and well that spider could only take so much.

I was pretty mad. I should have had two in them in my squad.

Jedi Master Talon
4 April 2005, 05:23 AM
When did the Revenge of the Sith set come out I was just at Walden Books last Thursday and all they had were the Clone Strike. Some one please tell me if they have them out already.

Also On a much lighter note, I will be going to Gencon and will be bring my minis. I hope to see some of you there.

Hightower
4 April 2005, 12:15 PM
I think you should blame your dice. I always do.

Ris
4 April 2005, 01:03 PM
The Revenge sets were released on Sat. 4/2, along with a lot of other ROTS toys & books. Surprisingly, in our area, Walmart has them.

Jedi Master Talon
5 April 2005, 05:00 AM
Well that answers my question. Thanks for the info.

Garan
7 April 2005, 12:38 AM
Just picked up the Merc Commander figure, my favourite figure so far, just from the look of it. Anyway I was wandering if one of you had it as well and could scan the artwork for me. I would like to use the picture in my online rpg and donít have a scanner, myself. :/
Thx in advance

Donovan Morningfire
7 April 2005, 02:33 PM
Well, it would seem after getting my 2 cases of RotS minis last night, I need to revise my opinion on the quality of the scuplts. They are much better than Clone Strike, but not quite as good as Rebel Storm.

Overall, I'm fairly happy with what I got. Even if I didn't get a single one of the Imperial Rares :(

The other thing I noticed was that the Human Merc's card says Devaronian Solider on the front, but Human Merc on the back. And Jedi Knight Anakin uses the double-saber pose on the front and back of the card from Clone Strike. I'm wondering if there are any more such goofs in amongst the cards? I know Dooku and Maul in CS had the Force Point cost of Sith Lightning and Sith Rage wrong.

Donovan Morningfire
9 April 2005, 04:44 PM
Just played a few rounds using mostly the new RotS stuff ...

and Mace Windu, Jedi Master may well be the new uber-figure of the game. Don't have Darth Maul, but I've heard he's pretty brutal.

Going up against Palpatine, Sith Lord flanked by two Royal Guards, I charge him up to base-to-base contact w/ all three, unleash a Whirlwind Attack (brutal, just plain brutal), leaving a wounded Emperor and two dead guards (took the guards out 1st, so no damage sponges for old prune-face). Between that and Triple Attack, not to mention massive Hit Points, a very high Defense and Atack Bonus, he's worth every bit of his point cost. Granted, SL Palpatine is also very nasty (especially if your opponent is fool enough to bring an all Clone army), but it wasn't even a contest in that game.

Jedi Master Talon
11 April 2005, 06:25 AM
I see what you mean Mordin. I got a starter set just last weekend and only got six minis. And they were all a set amount. That was so un cool. I liked the way they did the other starter sets. You go more men for your money and other then the exclusive ones they were completely random. I have a bone to pick with wizards now.

Grabs his lightsabers Bring it on.:D

Jedi Cahlwyn
11 April 2005, 10:59 AM
Well, at least they tell you on the box (at least I think they do) what you get inside. I too bought the starter due to needing the exclusives (grumble grumble). I wouldn't get them if it wasn't for the exclusives. Stupid CMG!!! :sabersml:

Donovan Morningfire
11 April 2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Cahlwyn
Well, at least they tell you on the box (at least I think they do) what you get inside. I too bought the starter due to needing the exclusives (grumble grumble). I wouldn't get them if it wasn't for the exclusives. Stupid CMG!!! :sabersml:
It does say on the box what minis are included. I'm sure some people ordered/bought multiple starters in the hopes of getting not only some extra copies of the Rares, but a nice little selection of Commons. I bought two, mostly to have an extra copy of the rulebook, as well as an extra Obi and Grievous. Would have been happier with randomized commons/uncommons instead of the preset commons.

Ris
11 April 2005, 03:32 PM
Not only does it say so on the box, but I warned people on the 1st page of this with my little review of the starter. I would've liked randomized mini's like the other 2 starters. But I got a nice assortment in my 2 or 3 boosters, inlcuding tarfful, plus Bail Organa, whom I really wanted. Why? I like the character--always have.

Jedi Master Talon
12 April 2005, 05:03 AM
Speaking of Bail Organa, I was wondering when it came to the Diplomats you can put on the feild what can they do. We know they can at least take some hits before they die. But what are there special abilities? How much damage do they do? I'm just curious on this what does Bail have?

Donovan Morningfire
12 April 2005, 12:07 PM
There's a thread over on the WotC Star Wars Minatures forum that has the stats on all the characters from every set to date. Then again, given the recent flakiness of their message boards, I believe it might be more expedient (and at least less frustrating) to answer the Bail question here.

Cost: 29
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 17
Attack: +6
Damage: 10
Special Abilities: (see rule booklet in the RotS starter for descriptions)
Unique
Alderaan Senator
Synchronized Fire
Commander Effect:
When coordinating fire w/ other Alderaan Troopers, the attacker gains +10 to damage for that attack.

Bail works best with a significant number of Alderaan Troopers, giving them a bit more bite for their 6 points. You could field a squad of Alderaan Troopers w/ Bail that has pretty good attack bonuses and good damage, but you won't get quite as many shots per round as a squad of Clone Troopers, though the AT's accuracy will be significantly better due to their Synchronized Fire ability.

Sithspawn
14 April 2005, 03:31 PM
I picked up a Start and six boosters. I think this is the best set yet. I was dead set against the Mini's when they were originally announced but I've been won over. I actually liked this starter for the solid board. And the set selection of mini's in it means you can start playing with just the starter.

In my packs I got a good selection witha couple of Very Rare's (Darth Vader, Mon Mothma) and fortunately no duplicates of figure I didn't want duplicates of. I'm hoping to get some more Dark Side Adepts though because I'm currently running a KOTOR RPG campaign B)

Wesly Senesca
15 April 2005, 11:57 AM
Hey, I'm looking into buying some of the stuff, but I'm hesitant due to a stark lack of money. I'll probable end up buying individuals. So, what I want to know are the stats for some of the figures--namely Anakin, Jedi Knight, Obi-Wan, Jedi Master, and the uncommon Jedi Knight. These are the ones that I'm inerested in buying, and I would like to see their stats before I make any final decisions.

Donovan Morningfire
15 April 2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Wesly Senesca
Hey, I'm looking into buying some of the stuff, but I'm hesitant due to a stark lack of money. I'll probable end up buying individuals. So, what I want to know are the stats for some of the figures--namely Anakin, Jedi Knight, Obi-Wan, Jedi Master, and the uncommon Jedi Knight. These are the ones that I'm inerested in buying, and I would like to see their stats before I make any final decisions.
If you want stats, check out this thread. (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=295311) It has the basic stats (Hit Points, Defense, Damage, Attack, Special Abilities) of every character from every set. It doesn't explain what the special abilities mean exactly (you'd need a rule booklet for that), but it should give you a general idea of what each figure is capable of.

To give you fair warning, depending on what individuals you're looking to buy, it might be a lot cheaper in the long run to buy boosters in bulk. Most websites that sell boosters offer case deals that average around $100, while certain very rares can run up and over $30 each.

Wesly Senesca
15 April 2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks Donovan, that thread helped a lot. Although, I'm only looking for specific characters, and I have a limited budget (a burned out transmission/carcked radiator and college tuition can burn out a bank account faster than the eye can see). Besides, I'm friends with the local comic store manager, so I can get discounts on products, for instance, if I pay in cash, he waves sales taxes (its good to be a friend :D). Anyway, its only a matter of time until he starts getting doubles of RotS minis for sale, and I've already given him an "want these" list. But, anyway, thaks.

Humble minion
16 April 2005, 06:38 AM
I hate you all. :(

We in Australia don't get the Revenge of the Sith set until April 18, and it's another week after that before the FLGS will let you buy cases. Damn it - I need some fringers and a couple of Senate guards in time for the big roleplaying session on the Anzac Day public holiday...

Anyone know a passably cheap mail-order website whose shipping prices aren't too extortionate?

Donovan Morningfire
16 April 2005, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Humble minion
I hate you all. :(

We in Australia don't get the Revenge of the Sith set until April 18, and it's another week after that before the FLGS will let you buy cases. Damn it - I need some fringers and a couple of Senate guards in time for the big roleplaying session on the Anzac Day public holiday...

Anyone know a passably cheap mail-order website whose shipping prices aren't too extortionate?
As far as mail order, the best prices I've seen to date (for both individual minis and booster cases) are to be found atCoolStuff (http://www.coolstuffinc.com/).

I don't what their shipping would be to your neck of the woods. They've got an option to calculate shipping costs based on what your buying and where it's going, so that might help you gauge what the damages will be.

Reverend Strone
17 April 2005, 03:00 PM
if you're in Oz and buying minis, you'd do well to check out CaseFresh (http://www.casefresh.com/starwars/wizardsofthecoast/) . They're a local online shop with reasonable prices.

Humble minion
17 April 2005, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the links. I might just have to suck it up and wait, however. Casefresh is already sold out (2 hours after the official release!) and I can't really justify paying Coolstuff's shipping costs.

Ah well. They tell me patience is a virtue...

Reverend Strone
18 April 2005, 02:40 PM
Stang.

Best of luck in your efforts. We got lucky witha local comic shop here in NZgetting them in at a reasonable price, otherwsie I would be in the same boat as you.

I have in the past also ordered from Game Outfitters (http://gameoutfitter.com/). The stock took four months to arrive, but their prices were by far the best I've ever seen online and I believe the problem with my order was exceptional. Everyone else I have spoken to speaks highly of them. Australia is on their shipping list too.

Ris
22 April 2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Donovan Morningfire
The other thing I noticed was that the Human Merc's card says Devaronian Solider on the front, but Human Merc on the back. And Jedi Knight Anakin uses the double-saber pose on the front and back of the card from Clone Strike. I'm wondering if there are any more such goofs in amongst the cards? I know Dooku and Maul in CS had the Force Point cost of Sith Lightning and Sith Rage wrong.

Huh, my Dev. Soldier card has the correct name on both sides. WOTC should be willing to replace it.
For anyone who has problems, below are the links for the WOTC site pages with the instructions/addys for getting replacements for either damaged mini's or missing/damaged/wrong stat-cards.

Damaged Mini's (http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=119&p_created=1109817716&p_sid=LbQbrBDh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTAmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnB fY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZ wX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PW1pbmlhdHVyZXM*&p_li=&p_topview=1)

Stat Cards (http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14&p_created=1109362453&p_sid=LbQbrBDh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTAmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnB fY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZ wX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PW1pbmlhdHVyZXM*&p_li=&p_topview=1)

Basically, If a mini or card is damaged, you return it for replacement. If you didn't get a stat card, or you got the wrong one (ie, Capt. Antilles with the Royal Guard card), you must send in the mini--which presumably they will return along with your correct card. You should also include a letter stating the problem.

Reverend Strone
24 April 2005, 05:59 PM
My Human Merc is labelled Devaronian soldier as well. An odd goof. I'm not concerned enough to send it back, but it is odd, just as the Anakin pose is a wierd one. Comparing the cards from CS and ROTS, the pose appears to be, quite literally, traced over and cleaned up a bit. It is odd to have him depicted as a padawan, complete with braid, when the figure is a knight. Curious indeed.

The stat cards use artwork that was done as reference for the sculptors, though in some cases the pose differs for some reason. When the job is a rushed one I can imagine that the sculptures are started while stat card illustrations are still being done, so perhaps that's what happened here. Conversely, perhaps art for Anakin as a knight was not up to scratch or otherwise pulled for some reason, necessitating a reuse of existing artwork at the last moment?