PDA

View Full Version : Deleted Scenes

stoic_75
2 April 2005, 03:37 PM
I just got the original trilogy on DVD. I was dismayed there were no deleted scenes. It gave me a taste with the old trailers but I want more. Where's Biggs? Where's the sandstorm in Episode VI? I wuz robbbed!

proxima centauri
3 April 2005, 01:44 AM
cry me a river

ij thompson
3 April 2005, 09:13 AM
George has to give us all a reason to buy his 'Complete Saga' boxed set for Xmas '06, doesn't he? :rolleyes:

cheshire
3 April 2005, 12:03 PM
That was my conclusion. But hey, I'm not shelling out more money for just a few deleted scenes. My friend will buy them and I'll watch the deleted scenes at his house. I haven't watched the deleted scenes from TPM and AOTC more than twice anyway.

ij thompson
3 April 2005, 12:49 PM
I hate to admit it, but I'd buy them again, if two conditions are met:

[list=1]
Each film gets a good, 'Phantom Menace' style documentary, with as much behind the scenes footage as they can stuff into it.
'A New Hope' is properly colour-corrected... and I don't just mean Luke's lightaber; the whole movie is shifted strangely toward the red end of the spectrum, and I personally believe GL did this intentionally, so that us sticklers would have to buy another one.
[/list=1]

At any rate, I do bet we'll see a new set soon, probably with an 'exclusive sneak peek' at the upcoming series (serieses?) :rolleyes:

Fingon
3 April 2005, 06:23 PM
I would also buy them... as good as the DVD's are, I was a bit disappointed that to CG wasn't improved at all... well, I'm going to need another 200 dollars

proxima centauri
3 April 2005, 08:15 PM
I have almost every VHS and Star Wars dvd available, so... yes... I'll shell out the money :P (I think I'm only missing Phantom Menace DVD)

Faraer
4 April 2005, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by ij thompson [list=1]
'A New Hope' is properly colour-corrected... and I don't just mean Luke's lightaber; the whole movie is shifted strangely toward the red end of the spectrum, and I personally believe GL did this intentionally, so that us sticklers would have to buy another one.[/list=1]That's pretty paranoid, not just because that would be immoral, but because it would be ineffective: I didn't notice any such shift and I'm sure most buyers didn't either. Though of course there will be another release in the next DVD format.

Corr Terek
4 April 2005, 10:18 AM
George Lucas is planning to re-release all the Star Wars movies in the nifty new 3D format (y'know, with those nifty 3D glasses), one per year starting in 2006 or 2007 (can't remember which). There was an article on it in theonering.net. Apparently, Peter Jackson, George Lucas, James Cameron, and a bunch of other big-name directors are calling for the introduction of 3D formatting to theatres.

Korpil
4 April 2005, 10:53 AM
The best way to see the deleted scenes, at least the ANH deleted scenes is getting a copy of the CD Star Wars: Behind the Magic.

And... Variety has just posted a copy of an article where Rick McCallum contradicts George Lucas by saying that the market for a 3D trilogy won't be ready by 2007, so it will be delayed.

kaeroth
4 April 2005, 12:22 PM
And... Variety has just posted a copy of an article where Rick McCallum contradicts George Lucas by saying that the market for a 3D trilogy won't be ready by 2007, so it will be delayed.

Well, perhaps Mr. McCallum can explain that to Lucas when returns to the ranch....

McC: ...L-Lucas is coming here?

kaeroth: Yes, and he's most disppointed in your....

blah blah blah you know the scene. that's just the first thing i thought of when i read korpil's post. sorry.

proxima centauri
4 April 2005, 07:02 PM
Can you explain to me what exaclt would a 3D triogy be?!?!?

Korpil
5 April 2005, 08:14 AM
Well, in the past ShoWest convention at Las Vegas, several filmmakers including George Lucas and James Cameron showcased a new digital projection technology which allows for 3D movies, you know, like in Disneyland where you get your special glasses and see the pictures in 3D...

Well, George was so amazed by the development that he promised (yet another) version of the original Star Wars trilogy in that 3D format, supposedly to be out for 2007...

Later, Rick McCallum, who has produced everything from the Young Indy cronicles up to Episode III, said it was too early to consider the 3D a viable market... so the 3D trilogy would have to wait further than 2007.

Sithspawn
7 April 2005, 05:19 AM
Surely films would have to be filmed in 3D, not just converted?

Though I admit I know very little about 3D technology.

cheshire
7 April 2005, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Sithspawn
Surely films would have to be filmed in 3D, not just converted?

Well.... they were filmed in 3D. I mean, unless Mark Hamil is a carboard cutout. :) Sorry, I just had to be a smart alec.

Anyway, They are more or less converted. I saw an article on it in National Geographic. It's nifty.

Corr Terek
7 April 2005, 11:11 AM
As I understand it, new 3D movies use two projectors, instead of one. Each projects at a slightly different angle, mimicking the different angles we get as humans from each eye. The glasses are used to accentuate the difference and give us depth perception.

At least, that's my understanding of it.

cheshire
7 April 2005, 11:20 AM
That might be how they do things with the polarized 3D glasses like they have at Disneyland (with Michael Jackson starring as Captain Whatshisname), and Jaws 3D.

The 1960's style of 3D was a bit different. The ones that use the red and blue glasses (which is, of course, more fun), is a bit different than what you see at Disney. The red and blue glasses actually make your mind respond to red and blue tints that are shaded into the film. So, in essence you are seeing the "real" Darth Vader, and red Darth Vader, and a blue Darth vader. A baslic and oversimplified explanation is that the glasses trick your eyes into cramming them all together, and with different distances between the red, blue, and actual immage, your mind makes it look like it's popping out of the screen.

If that doesn't make sense, feel free to ignore me. :)

gordoss_Vaa
7 April 2005, 11:58 AM
i'll be gettin that box set fo shizzle

hisham
7 April 2005, 04:49 PM
And coming in summer '08, the Star Wars saga back on the big screen... with scratch and sniff features!!!!! Holy cow!!! :)

ij thompson
7 April 2005, 06:26 PM
"Experience it again... for the very third time!!!" :P

proxima centauri
8 April 2005, 06:25 AM
I understand how 3d movies are shot... but the sw movies were shot in 2D, from 1 point of view. I cannot conceive how they can add depth... (I know, it's my field of work... 3D from 2D :)

hisham
8 April 2005, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by proxima centauri
I understand how 3d movies are shot... but the sw movies were shot in 2D, from 1 point of view. I cannot conceive how they can add depth... (I know, it's my field of work... 3D from 2D :)
To go from 2D to 3D you'll need 6 pips.

*ducks*

Corr Terek
8 April 2005, 09:40 AM
I understand how 3d movies are shot... but the sw movies were shot in 2D, from 1 point of view. I cannot conceive how they can add depth... (I know, it's my field of work... 3D from 2D

Well, they've done it. PJ already had shots from LOTR fixed up, and I *think* GL was doing some beta stuff too. Besides, they wouldn't be considering it if it wasn't possible...

proxima centauri
12 April 2005, 11:17 AM
still... I'm puzzled.