PDA

View Full Version : General Grievous, Jedi Hunter

Treefrog
8 April 2005, 09:11 AM
I just got my first two RotS miniature booster packs, and I pulled GG, JH. I was wondering something about his stat card. In the comments, it says "Force power". Now this is something that I think that WotC dropped the ball on: According to Lucasfilm, GG is not Force-Sensitive at all, so how can WotC justify this?

Or in other words: Is GG Force-Sensitive, or not?

Corr Terek
8 April 2005, 09:42 AM
I thought he was...how could you fight a Jedi Knight successfully lightsaber-to-lightsaber unless you also had the Force?

jedi_lucky
8 April 2005, 10:03 AM
i am confused on this too since he is not suppose to be force sensitive and as far as uing a lightsaber...anyone can learn to use one (by gaming standards since it is an exotic weapon) and according to comics and books boba fett knew how to use one.

lucky
:daala:

Corr Terek
8 April 2005, 11:14 AM
Knowing how to use one and being able to take on fully-trained Jedi with one are two different things...

jedi_lucky
8 April 2005, 11:56 AM
this is true but in one of the comics he uses it againest a jedi and walks away....either way...i guess it boils down to alot of different factors...

lucky

Mr. Fett
8 April 2005, 02:05 PM
Short and simple wizards dropped the ball. He is not force-sensitive merely an organic being living inside a droid shell. He has implants and various dark side manipulations that have affected his body. He is enhanced in every imaginable way: improved processors, cybernetic eye upgrades. He is not force sensitive merely highly trained and very perceptive.

Donovan Morningfire
8 April 2005, 02:32 PM
Since the only thing all three versions of RotS General have under Force Powers is Force Points 1, it's not really a case of "dropping the ball." Force Points in this game, as well as both d20 and d6 versions of the RPG represent luck as well as a connection to the Force. After all, Han Solo has Force Powers w/ Force Points 2 listed under it, and I don't recall hearing anyone gripe about that.

WotC just used the existing system they had in place to give G.G. a bit of extra luck or an "adrenaline surge" (yes, I know that as a cyborg he doesn't have adrenaline per se anymore, but just run w/ me on this one, 'kay?)

jedi_lucky
8 April 2005, 02:35 PM
i can agree with the fact that its just force points not powers...makes sense and ends the questions for me. thanks for clearing it up!

lucky

Treefrog
9 April 2005, 08:50 PM
I do know the difference between Force Pts and Force Powers. According to LucasFilm, GG is not Force-Sensitive, he's just extremely talented general.

Any living being accrues Force Pts up to maximum of 5 (1 per level), unless he/she has the feat Force-Sensitive - then the max Force Pt total is unlimited.

Now if Lucasfilm states that GG is not Force-Sensitive, and WotC puts him as having "Force Power", WotC is misstating stats in their minis game.

This is my main beef about the card - the mini itself looks awesome, and will be used as an NPC character representation, only (I won't play the minis game at all).

Donovan Morningfire
10 April 2005, 06:31 AM
So you mean to say that you're complaining about game mechanics on a fancied up piece of cardboard for a game that by your own admission you are not going to play?

Like I said before, there are characters in the minis game that have no connection to the Force what-so-ever, such as the afore-mentioned Han Solo. Much like the RPG, Force Points are a game mechanic attempt to allow for luck (much like Action Points in d20 Modern).

The card is not saying that General Grievous (or Han Solo) are Force-sensitive, just they're a bit luckier than most, which is why they only have a single Force Point, where most Force-users have at least 2, if not more (especially in the CS and RotS expansions).

Might even be best if you're not so literal with the descriptions on the afore-mentioned piece of cardboard. It's a game dude, relax and enjoy the brownies :D

Darth Jerrod
10 April 2005, 03:24 PM
LOL Donovan

Tao
15 April 2005, 07:23 AM
I think Donovan said it best... Force Points are NOT the same as Force Powers. In the D20 RPG, which the miniatures game is based on, ALL characters, whether they are Force Sensative or not, gain Force Points at a rate of 1 per level, and may gain additional FP for acts of heroism. Characters who are not Force Sensative (Greivous for example) may gain a maximum of five points. Force Sensative characters may gain as many FP as they can.

As Grievous has no Force Abilities (ae: no Force related skills or Feats), he can only use his Force Point to reroll attacks. I think that in and of itself shows that he's more lucky than Force Sensative.

I am in agreement that Greivous is NOT Force Sensative, but he does have SOME connection to the Force. Everything does... a rock, a tree, an x-wing. Everything. Certain people, like General Grevous or Han Solo, can not manipulate the Force but the Force can affect them, making them more able, and perhaps luckier, than the average being. And you can call it what you will, but in Star Wars "there is no luck, only the Force".