PDA

View Full Version : Thread Quality

Darth_Cassed
5 May 2005, 11:37 PM
You know, the HoloNet works on a cycle. For a season or two, it survives on the hardcore members and regulars to keep constant posting. Suddenly, at some points, there's an explosion of activity.

Now I've been off and on lately here, but I'm never completely gone. It seems to be one of those periods to me where posts and threads decline in quality, but quantity is driven up. This is most likely due to the casual gamer and Star Wars fan who loves to rave about them, but doesn't know enough to know how the HoloNet society works.

Being enthusiastic is fine, but be enthusiastic and do something constructive. Motivate, incite, and propel the rest of the sleeping population to join in and create something fantastic. Sure, it's cool to post threads and voice your opinion and find others to backup and debate your points, but it may, in the long run, be detrimental.

The HoloNet prides itself on the quality of its members, and the members pride themselves on the quality of their posts. I urge members to discuss constructive points and use minor threads as a springboard into a bigger world.

Posting on something random and unconstructive, something minute, something speculative that has no bearing on anything, and posting on nothing at all is wasted in that incarnation.

To be sure, this is not pointed at everyone. Rather, it's no one's fault, and it's not one person's problem. While I don't mean to point, I also urge viewers not to take it as a point. This isn't a stab, it's a gentle prod. I myself am a victim of this sometimes, and we all need a snap to wake up and get back to work.

The recent events that have led to the downfall of several big websites still has not been fixed, and few volunteers come forward to help in projects. All it takes is a few people with enthusiasm and constructivism to match, and the community is stirred again.

That's the end of my rant :) I do hope things can get revived back to the ways they were before, those were certainly better days as for as the fan-SWRPG business went. :D

PneumaZ
6 May 2005, 06:33 AM
Ok..well I'm fairly new here, but this is certainly the most open Community I have seen for any topic. Yeah people get a little heated, but that's digital courage for you. I have not seen anything too out of line so far, but it excites me to know it can get 'better'. Oh well...Blue Skies.

Master Dao Rin
6 May 2005, 02:03 PM
Perhaps a cause can also be found that a new Star Wars movie is due out shortly.

I've noticed in my years on the internet that this sort of thing happens when a major event outside the boards is occuring. Speculation abounds and fun and outrageous frolicking is had by all.

Patience, DC, things will turn around! :D

Darth_Cassed
6 May 2005, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I know there's gonna be a surge of activity when anything as big as Episode III approaches :) That was something I had already thought of, but hadn't mentioned. One loses which stations the train should stop at when you make such a big post :D

I'm also sure things will go back to normal, but we still have the problem of a lack of activity in terms of projects, volunteers.....etc, along those lines.

Thinithil
7 May 2005, 10:31 AM
Perhaps we need a sort of "classified" section where specific projects can list their needs and the levels of follow through?

There does seem to be a lot of postings (which I also attribute to some upcoming movie or something) but I wasn't aware the community was lagging in helping out on whatever needs to be done. In fact while following some of the big sites problems over the last year or so I've been wondering at the lag. I just assumed it was real-life (dang it!) that was causing the lag as oppossed opposed appossed (what the? I'm going with #2) to a lack of committed helping hands.

dragonseye
12 May 2005, 07:47 AM
Honestly, the quality of posts does vary at times. it's not really anything to get upset about, and it's deffinitely not as bad as many anime forums I've visited in the past (those can be truly horrendous where the most intelligent conversation is usually which character can kick who's buttocks along with which female has the largest bust size.)

As to lack of volenteers, I attempted to participate in no less than three to four on-line projects, but was never contacted by the leaders of the groups after volenteering my services- I offered sections I'd be willing to work on and the project leader would agree with topics I suggest, but I would recieve absolutely no contact from the project coordinators after that. So it may not be just a lack of volenteers, but people not communicating with those prospective volenteers as well.

After several attempts of that sort, I pretty much just gave up on it and moved on to other things. Sadly, I really have no interest in doing something of the sort now, especially since I've not participated in a Star Wars game in over three years.

Darth Fierce
12 May 2005, 09:16 AM
As has been said, thread quality fluctuates, and I tend to avoid threads that I think have no bearing on Star Wars (be it the overall franchise, the Network, or the RPG).

I try to be constructive with the majority of the threads I've started...giving the community access to my imagination regarding new worlds, species, characters, etc.. However, as far as major projects are concerned, I've tried to help out...but often the real world gets in the way, and by the time I've have an opportunity to get back to really putting a lot of effort into a project, it's virtually dead.... Unfortunate, but true...:(

I hope to be able to contribute more to my Holonet Alien Anthology soon, as well as new stuff for my currently idle Friends and Foes Compendium thread. I also plan to help out joebi-wan kenobi with the new pre-existing species stats thread...I suggest anyone interested to do so as well.

Take heart, Cassed, there's many of us who believe that the forums will a new golden age of productivity in the near future...:)

Darth Fierce :vader:

PsychoInfiltrator
12 May 2005, 04:18 PM
I am a relatively new member and I agree with the post quality issue. I've noticed several people start up after me and essentially bombard with relatively stupid stuff for a bit, ostensibly to get their rank up. Of course, I did it too when I first showed up. Now I try to keep my posts higher up on the quality scale.

Now for the actual point of this post.

I don't think that it is just projects that are good for the Holonet Community. Things like fanfics, (of which I have one that has stalled) and participating in the Rolelaying section are good too. So are threads such as "1001 ways to respond to an Attack Roll" etc which offer broad advice that is useful, but not to highly focused.

But then of course, debate is also a good thing. To a point.

PsychoInfiltrator
13 May 2005, 01:36 PM
I just went through C&M, General SWRPG, and D20, and euuuuhhhh...

And to think I nitially came (to SWRPGN Holonet) for the thread quality...

Thinithil
13 May 2005, 02:07 PM
euuuuhhhh...And to think I nitially came (to SWRPGN Holonet) for the thread quality

Strongly worded the above is.

There have been a large amount of threads begun of late that I merely associate with a great increase in members drawn from those excited with the arrival of a new SW movie. I'd hesitate to call them good or bad there is merely many many new threads and all can't win a pulitzer.

The increase in threads will experience eventually bring...And welcome those new we should.

PsychoInfiltrator
13 May 2005, 02:57 PM
Sorry. I'm one to be noted for strong opinions and bluntness. Though if I want to I can be quite eloquent, if I do say so myself...But that's offtopic.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
27 May 2005, 02:14 AM
To be honest, i've yet to see any flaming around the forums. Theres very few forums on the net like this where people are on above average at their best behavior rather than have a bad attitude and start the rudeness, hence flames get traded.

And really, is there anything defining as to what makes a thread quality or quantity? How do you rate one's idea or question above anothers?

Some topics are prone to cycle around time to time as a brief influx of new members join. Those of use who've been here for a few years now were once 'new' at one point too ;)

The holonets are about sharing ideas, getting opinions and feedback, as well as helping out those who are very new to rpg'ing.

On the whole, activity is a good thing. Activity means theres people out there playing the game, coming here for help or ideas or to share.

Activity wise, the biggest boom has been in the Roleplaying section. I can't remember when last there was soo many active games abound, where a thread can bump to top and hit near bottom of page by day's end.

I for one, enjoy trying to help out, and contribute. Often someone's got an idea, asks for opinions or feedback, or is just plainly reaching out for ideas. If my imagination is piqued, sure i'll reply. If one thing out of several paragraphs is used by someone or inspires someone to a new branch of ideas, then I feel i've served my purpose. ;) I've taken and then branched off from other peoples replies too.

Good non-flaming behavior aside, IMHO, voicing opinions and giving feedback to help others & contribute is one of the fundamentals of this forum. Opinions are not right or wrong, feedback is always good even if partially helpful. As long as ideas are being discussed and exchanged. Ideas spawn more idea off-shoots.

IMHO, i'd rather want to see a forum section active and alive, rather than seldom activity of new threads or replies. Stagnant is definately not good.

In which forum will a person in need of help or advice likely post in? one that's fairly active with throughput? or one where the order of threads barely move at all?

I can't really comment about projects, as those are entirely individual cases, much like the games in the rpg section. some get to fruitition, others while hopefull, don't.

well, thats my opinion ;)