PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining permission

sithson
20 May 2005, 08:48 PM
I don't know if this goes here or not, but hopefully I can get some one who actually knows.

Basically I want to get offical permission to use the starwars logo in a fan fic book I want to make. (and any logo associated with it) This includes pictures what not. Any idea who/what email to use to contact the proper people? I Have already used the business link on the offical starwars.com web site, but im sure I wont recive a response. Homefully one of the webmasters here will know who I can talk to.. Thanks a bunch!

Chris Curtis
21 May 2005, 01:57 PM
I think you would have to obtain permission from Lucasfilm Licensing, so that's where you should probably focus your efforts. That said, I'd be very surprised if they granted you permission without paying them some insane licensing fee.

Ravager_of_worlds
22 May 2005, 08:28 AM
As someone who did the layout for 1/3 of the Web Features at the OJ (prior to the hurricanes), I'd suggset this for Star Wars logos- pick up the right font. Don't bother scanning any of the images from the WotC or the WEG books- just type it out. I'd suggest "Star Jedi Logo Double" for the title page, and if you have access to the WotC fonts, have at it.

Don't use any logo or image unless you make it, or you obtain permission from the artist who made it. Fan books are tolerated by Lucas, but it's best not to advertise yourself. The people at Lucas and WotC defend their use of the name and logos to the death.

Sithson, what layout/design program are you using for your fanbook? I'd suggest InDesign CS or 2.0 at least.

Iceberg
23 May 2005, 04:20 AM
WOTC takes forever to reply to a legal question anyways. I've been wanting to open a small business for a while and I wanted to use the name from an Avalon hill book, but considering WOTC now owns them, thought it might be preudent to ask permission first. This was in december 2002, I recieved a reply saying the matter was being looked into and that I would be informed when a decision was made. I've heard nothing and any followup is always answered with "Pending".