PDA

View Full Version : How do you play?

Sithspawn
23 May 2005, 07:38 AM
Although I've collected the mini's since their release I've only really just started playing them as the stand alone game. And boy do we lots of discussions about Line of Sight!

Anyway, I was just wondering how you play?

Do you stick to the Factions?
Do you play to the proper Era's?
Do you allow duplicates of Unique's?
Do you play all out combat or play missions?
Do you play converted RPG characters?

I'm just curious really. B)

Donovan Morningfire
23 May 2005, 03:06 PM
Around my area, we pretty much play it by the book in terms of Factions and only one of a Unique in a squad (though other people's squads can have the same Unique; was interesting to see Boba Fett vs. Boba Fett :D )

As far as eras, we tossed that out the window. We've had Separtist vs. Empire, Empire vs. Republic, and once a Rebellion vs. Republic, stuff that by timeline is supposedly impossible, but since it's a game, it's all good.

For the most part, our style of game play is all-out, though we have been incorporating mission-style tactics and objectives of late.

Since nobody's really sure what the stat-construction formula is, we've steered clear of trying to convert RPG characters, mainly because a couple of the guys that play would try to justify 15pt characters that could mop the floor with Mace Windu, Darth Maul, and Sith Lord Vader all at once.

In regards to line of sight, we've pretty tossed the official ruling out the window. What we do is measure from the center of the figure to the center of the target figure, as well as eyeballing to see how much of the target figure can be seen to determine if a wall should grant cover or prevent line of sight. On the WotC SW Mini boards there's a chap named Guy Fullerton that has the current mini's gathered rulings on his website, as well as a revised method of determining line of sight.

Sithspawn
24 May 2005, 05:02 AM
Other than the Line of Sight change I've been playing it pretty much the same.

We do tend to have 120 point squads, rather than the recommended 100. But did have a 200 point game the other night, Rebels vs. Seperatist. Seperatist Droids with General Grievous wiped the floor with my Rebels :raised:

Donovan Morningfire
24 May 2005, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Sithspawn
We do tend to have 120 point squads, rather than the recommended 100.
We also tend to vary the point values. Still debating about a 400 point battle royale at some point.

There's a thread concerning the new expansions were I voiced a concern regarding "power creep" of the newer sets that would make the older sets, like Rebel Storm, obsolete. I'm not surprised that a Grievous droid army mopped the floor with the Rebels, as I've routinely annihilated Empire squads using lots of Clone Troopers and the Dynamic Duo of Anakin and Obi-Wan (with Anakin recently getting the Jedi Knight upgrade per the new set, but sticking w/ Clone Strike Obi for the extra movement). Then again, with the new Palpatine in the RotS set, I may need to reconsider my options :(