PDA

View Full Version : Font Size and Quoting

Master Dao Rin
3 June 2005, 06:47 PM
Not sure which moderator to address this too but:

Could we make the font size on stuff in quotes bigger? As it is now, you have to have a magnifying glass just to follow a poster's thread ... at least for me, anyways. Is my screen resolution too high or something?!?

:mad: Just a little rant.

B)

hisham
3 June 2005, 08:30 PM
Hope this helps: For most browsers (I've checked it with Firefox and IE6), you can change the text size by View > Text Size. Maybe that would allow you to read the quotes. The quotes are alright for me, btw.

Grimace
3 June 2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Master Dao Rin
Not sure which moderator to address this too but:

Could we make the font size on stuff in quotes bigger? As it is now, you have to have a magnifying glass just to follow a poster's thread ... at least for me, anyways. Is my screen resolution too high or something?!?

:mad: Just a little rant.

B)

This is actually out of the realm of what a moderator can do, but I will see if I can't jog Moridin into reading this thread. I don't have a problem with font size in quotes, so perhaps it is simply a matter of your screen resolution. I know that I've seen some people's screen resolution so high that text is itty bitty small. Perhaps that is what is occuring in your case. You may also try what Hisham suggested and see if that fixes the problem, so you don't have to adjust your screen resolution every time you visit here.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
5 June 2005, 10:38 PM
I definately see where this is can be a problem. The quoted text is a few points smaller than the regular forum posted message text.

And when you moniter / desktop resolution is set so high that the main forum text is small, quoted text is unlegible.

its not always super high resolutions either that quoted text can be hard to read. If your using an old moniter (say +6yrs or older, possibly 800x600 ot 1024x768 res) and the moniter's dot pitch is larger than .25 (grid size of the screen mesh for displaying color blocks that form together to form images & text). Basically think back to the 486 era days where those old vga/svga 14" moniters were optimal for 320x200 or 640x480, but once ya hit 800x600 or 1024x768, fine quoted text will be a blur at those resolutions...

Theres one thing you can also do besides change font size in your browser:
Right click on your desktop -> display properties -> settings tab -> advanced button -> Advanced Display properties sub-window: General Properties Tab ->DPI Setting:
-Normal Size (96dpi) - Default
- change to 120 DPI or
- custom setting

The other thing you can do is bump down your screen resolution by one level.
ex:
1280x1024
1152x864
1024x768
800x600
640x480

To be honest, even though i've a 15" moniter with .25 dp display, and it can handle up to 1280x1024 res, my desktop is set to 800x600 because its a comfortable setting for reading in the forums. When it comes to computer gaming, i'll do 8x6 or 1024x768, depending on how much ingame text there is (and the size of the ingame text).

I know some people go nuts over using the highest resolution their moniter can offer, because everything's smaller and you can fit more open windows in the same area. However the smarter people who do that also increase their windows font dpi size in accordance so the text is of comfortable readable size.

Bottom line is- if your having trouble reading the quoted text, then your going to have to increase your font size or reduce your screen resolution somewheres. It's not worth straining your eyes over, specially due to the nature of long reading sessions in these forums (nor does it help you any if you can't read the quoted text)

Grimace
6 June 2005, 02:32 PM
Actually, if you look at the source coding, there is only one font size difference between the quoted text and the regular text. The quoted text is the same size as the "Send PM" and "Send Email" that is below each person's name.

Those are some good suggestions, though!

Master Dao Rin
7 June 2005, 03:26 PM
Okay, thanks guys! I'll try some of these suggestions when I get home tonight.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
10 June 2005, 12:51 AM
Thx for the slight correction Grimace!

Grimace's method is for the browser only (possibly email if its the same program like netscape) but pretty much covers both windows, mac and pretty much the rest of the various operating systems out there (ie Linux, BeOs, FreeBSD, etc) as well as the majority of browsers availble.

My tips are for a global desktop setting, that the one adjustment does it for all apps to use. Though my steps are windows based that applies to windows 9x, nt4, me, 2k, & xp (dunno about media center edition though). For other operating systems, you'll have to improvise and find where your font & display / desktop settings are, dig through the options and do a wee bit of experimenting to get the same effect ;)

If you try Grimace's, you wont need to go and follow mine yet, and vice versa - kinda redundant. Feel free to experiment between the two! they all work and ultimately you'll be able to decide which suits your needs.

I probably should have added that comfortable reading size varries from moniter size and resolution combinations. For referance, i'll use my example:
800x600 for 15" screen
1024x768 for 17" - 19" screen.
1152x864 - 1280x1024 possibly for 19" - 21" screens (rough guess)

All in all, let us know which works/worked best for you!, it'll most likely come down to personal preferance i think ;) Between Grimace's and mine suggestions, you should be clear sailing, err reading ;)