PDA

View Full Version : Submissions. ... ... ... ... .... ...

PsychoInfiltrator
7 June 2005, 04:05 PM
EGGGAAADDDD!!!!!!

Never mind that. No heart attacks, please.

My sticky keyboard would never forgive itself.

I have alot of problems with said section of SWRPGN. You are now probably expecting me to list off the problems and be all mad etc.

Well, I could do that. I could complain about say-it hasn't been updated since April 3rd and I didn't have a heart toi check which year. Or how even Moridin when I asked didn't know when it would be updated. Or how despite the various promises NONBODY seems to review your work and then NOBODY sends a response sating if it is accepted or whatnot. Or how NOBODY has even bothered to post with a reason WHY Submissions hasn't been updated.

But lo and behold, I'm not going to.

I'm merely going to provide a quick, simple, roleplayer and moderator friendly solution to avoid this problem again (Moridin says that there is a backup-I'm not surprised) assuming Submissions gets updated again, and i rteally hope it will.

Every 1-2 days, whoever does Submissions checks to see if there is any new material, then sends any appropriate PMs. Every week or so the list of new stuff is posted (if there is any, and after a couple of weeks if there isn't any somebody posts that to get the community's collective but in gear). It would require somebody(s) (I know, gr.) routine computer access, and would require a dedicated person or persons, but it would prevent pileups, people getting mad, and the rapid updates would probably make more people want to submit their material.

That's my plan.

{I jope I didn't offend anybody, but if I did, I didn't mean to and this IS the Rants and Raves forum.)

Darth_Cassed
9 June 2005, 09:44 AM
PsychoInfiltrator, that is, in fact, how the Submissions section of the site is supposed to work. This is impeded by several factors.

Volunteers
You don't just need volunteers, you need volunteers with several qualities. First; they must work for free. We're all volunteers here.
Second; they must be extremely familiar with the SWRPG and with RPGing in general. They must know rules inside and out, and be able to research them when something comes up. Also, they need to have knowledge in how new rules play into existing game systems.
Third; volunteers must be patient, friendly, and understanding. They must be able to go through revision after revision with the submitter to fine-tune their submission to the quality required here at the SWRPGNetwork.

Real Life
Volunteering on a website that envelops one of your major hobbies is all well and good, but there's other stuff going on. You may be moving to another location, having technical difficulties, losing your interest in what you're doing, or even all of the above. Generally, the volunteers that run these websites and events do this for a very long time, and very few quality people step forward with the attributes needed to do what they do. Sometimes, people just get burned out and things slow down.

The volunteers here at the SWRPGNetwork and at the HoloNet strive to do their best PsychoInfiltrator, but their lives don't and can't revolve around something fictional. These individuals who set up the groundwork and got things started for us deserve commendation for all their hard work and dedication, because they do it for us. The least I can do is volunteer to help convert our publications, come up with ideas, and encourage others to do the same.

The SWRPGNetwork has gotten somewhat dusty, but we're not dead yet.

PsychoInfiltrator
9 June 2005, 04:56 PM
I know, I've heard it before (mainly at SWAG) and I agree with your various statements.

I greatly appreciate Submissions and everything else on SWRPGN and all of the mods and admins especially Moridin and all the others who put lots of work into this site. I really do!

But I really felt like ranting, I really wish that it did in fact work that way, and I really wish that I wasn't dreaming. And my impatience isn't helped by the fact that i've submitted some material to Submissions that I put a bunch of work into and got XainArke to translate into the (for me) foreign language of D6.

All in all, it was a rant to show that updating Submissions would be a really great thing, and that at least one person (probably most others too) would really appreciate it if Submissions was updated. It would not go forgotten or unrewarded.

Think about it, if I just wanted to blast away at Submissions, why would I have put in a (non-sarcastic BTW) plan for how Submissions could thrive.

And yes, I have a real life too.

BlackThirteen
9 June 2005, 06:24 PM
As an aside, if volunteers are needed...
how does one volunteer?

Bjorn
15 June 2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Darth_Cassed
The SWRPGNetwork has gotten somewhat dusty, but we're not dead yet.

Not yet, but its starting to look like its headed in that direction.

I would just like the moderators and Mr. Moridin to be upfront and honest about the Submissions page. If its truly dead, tell us. I know you intend to update it...eventually...but what are the chances of that really happening? Honestly?

Bjorn

DarionA'res
15 June 2005, 02:58 PM
How about a thread where the most experienced gamers can bounce the revision process around ourselves and help get them revised and or converted to both systems before it even makes it to them. At least just as a little help. Mind you we can't have inexperienced posters just jumping in and saying no that won't work or how bout this...And quite honestly I could be considered one of those considering I just got into the game not even 6 months ago. But I'm fairly interested, especially in helping if it's possible.

I know it sucks everyone but these guys are doing an excellent job with very limited resources. The sites up and running and at least their are updates just a little slow. I had thought that RotS would revive Star Wars a bit and maybe it is just slowly but regardless we all still do have a forum to post to and rant and complain about things like this at least, it ain't easy work.

Bjorn
15 June 2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by DarionA'res
I had thought that RotS would revive Star Wars a bit and maybe it is just slowly but regardless we all still do have a forum to post to and rant and complain about things like this at least, it ain't easy work.

I had hoped that RotS would get the RPG rolling again too, but looks like that didn't happen. Who knows, it still could happen. If the Submissions page was up and running, maybe people here in the community could begin writing up stats for things seen in RotS and they could get posted on that page.

But alas, that seems to be but a dream...

Bjorn

PsychoInfiltrator
15 June 2005, 06:06 PM
Who's in charge of Submissions now anyway? Maybne somebody should PM them.

I believe that its Nafai, Rigil Kent and Moridin, but I could be wrong.

klodirofkuat
29 June 2005, 04:02 PM
I agree with you. This whole network seems to be dead. I mean, nobody's posted anything in a while. I mean, I used to post a thread, take a shower, and there'd be 30 responses waiting for me when I got back. People need to start submitting more, just getting into the feel of what's going on. Respond to anything, write something, just get the wheels turning!

"This is Red Five - I'm going in!"

-Luke Skywalker, Battle of Yavin

Taylor_Banyan
29 June 2005, 06:53 PM
Amen! Start posting anything anywhere anytime about anything! (Okay, don't go that post-happy, but truely, do post as often as you can, giving even the slightest amount of input that might remotely help someone on their search, check all boards and contribute to the thing that is the STAR WARS ROLEPLAYING GAME NETWORK! *many horns and trumpets sound*

FlipDog 2000
29 June 2005, 09:57 PM
I agree, one just has to remember to post significant things. There were problems a few years back with certain people posting one word responses only to boost their post count. Rank means nothing if you don't have anything to back it with.

Be involved. It's up to us (the members) to keep things going.

johnpatrickmcp
25 July 2005, 05:33 AM
Okay first off let me say that I have been away from the holonet for a while and just started checking back on a regular basis. I just ran across this thread and wanted to post a comment. First off I contributed four articles to that last batch of submissions and I was just tickled pink to have anything of mine published on a website as fine as this one. Now that being said I can't belive it was over a year ago that they were published. In that year I haven't added anything else to be published and I don't know if anyone else has. Heck I was on this site for a few years before I knew I even Could publish things on this site.

I understand it is probably alot of work to update the website, entries must be proof read, information needs to be entered, and may other tasks that I couldn't even imagine need to take place. Plus I'm sure they don't want to have to do that work for just one update so I assume that the will wait untill they have enought submissions to warrant the time involved in making the changes. in conclussion I just have to say that even if the wheels move slowly you guys are still doing a bang-up job.

And while that last update came in April of 2004 it is still more RPG information than WotC has published in that same time frame.:D

Sithspawn
26 July 2005, 01:50 AM
I've got to the point where I've ran out of ideas for my own website (which is just as well because I also hit my space limit).

You need to take into account that there's now a lot of subjects covered by online net guides as well as published material. The ideas can't keep coming forever.

PsychoInfiltrator
26 July 2005, 03:14 PM
I thought this thread was dead.

I don't think ideas is to much the problem. If not much was submitted it wouldn't be too hard to update. The problem is people with r'l and busy and non-r/l SWRPGN stuff to do too.

Moridin says its on his to-do list, and if you dig through the SWRPGN forum you can even find out where on his list.

Ineti
30 May 2006, 07:18 AM
Search brought up this thread, so I'd like to resurrect it and ask if making submissions to the site would be worthwhile, or if there's another online fan source for submissions. I'll be starting a new campaign in a few weeks, and would like to share the various and sundry content with fellow gamers.

PsychoInfiltrator
30 May 2006, 03:00 PM
if making submissions to the site would be worthwhile,

Personally, unless something major happens, I dont think so-it owuld be better jsut to make a thread for them. Nafai seems to have disappeared years and years ago, Rigil doesn't respond to PMs, and Moridin has plenty other non-RL things to deal with.

If we were to have some experienced volunteers, that might help.

I honestly don't know Moridin's position on this. But if he were looking for volunteers, I'd be ready and able (after exams in June, depending on the workload) to do whatever was required.

If I'm 'senior' enough on the list, that is. I've only been here at little over a year, Moridin might want only more senior members for something of that importance.

Who knows what's cooking in the mighty mind of masterful Moridin?

DarionA'res
30 May 2006, 04:02 PM
Well, I can look over anything but starships I don't quite understand the mechanics. Oh, and only d20, but I pride myself on being a good editor and story teller so I can edit and read over the write ups of each submission if you like. I also agree, doing it in thread allows real progress to be seen on the work involved in the submission progress. If people can see it work they won't PM constantly asking when it will be ready. I would definitely like to help in this endeavor.

PsychoInfiltrator
30 May 2006, 04:20 PM
I also agree, doing it in thread allows real progress to be seen on the work involved in the submission progress.

Conversely, doing it in a thread makes the system public, and may lessen editors' willingness to make thier opinions known if they believe some of the material is sub-par.

Doing it in a private thread would keep the convenience, and still allow an editor to be frank.

But we but speculate...who knows what Moridin is up too, as we stated before.

It is not for mere mortals to see into the minds of (web)masters unbidden.

DarionA'res
30 May 2006, 08:30 PM
Well, either way, I'm game if needed. I don't claim to be Simon Cowell but I'll tell ya if I don't think this is a good submission. We can even have a council if an editor is afraid to stand up for his opinion.

Ravager_of_worlds
9 June 2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Ineti
Search brought up this thread, so I'd like to resurrect it and ask if making submissions to the site would be worthwhile, or if there's another online fan source for submissions. I'll be starting a new campaign in a few weeks, and would like to share the various and sundry content with fellow gamers.

Good find Ineti. The Submissions Dept. is still "prod with a stick to see if it moves" stage. Rigil Kent, the old go to guy in charge of submissions seems nonexistent- his email account just bounces stuff back.

For the last few submissions, here's the dates-

April 3, 2004
Sept 27 2005
January 1 2006

Something is wrong. I've got some free time this summer- I could volunteer some of my time to help the submissions department. I've no idea what Darth Cassed is doing these days- we were both in on the Starships Challenge submission back in 2004.

BillyBoysPie
9 June 2006, 11:09 AM
I know there has been lots of talk about seinority on this page, and I obviously don't have it. However, maybe if there is a way to communicate ways to balance new ideas, then it may help the process of submissions be eaiser for the people in charge (if they are still handling submissions).
Or, create an online game thread for the playtesting of new ideas? That may get rather out of hand when one individual introduces an exorbitant amout of material, however, it may be another way to help alleviate the revision process.

Rostek
9 June 2006, 02:12 PM
I've also got some free time going on-- I'd be willing to help out Ravager and/or whoever else with getting this thing back on track.

johnnyputrid
9 June 2006, 07:06 PM
I don't know what I could do, but I would truly love to see Submissions back on track. I've got a huge amount of stuff I'd like to share with the community. Just let me know what needs to be done and I'll help out in whatever fashion I can.

Moridin
12 June 2006, 09:27 AM
Hey gang,

I'm just going to chime in here. Yes, I know people want their submissions updates. I get it. Believe me. But the fact of the matter is that time issues keep getting in the way. Heck, I'd like to update ALL parts of the site, but unfortunately I no longer have the luxury of doing so with the regularity I used to. Ya see, back in the day, I used to try and update the site every day, and I could do that because all I did was go to college. Unfortunately, I've since graduated from college and gotten a full-time job. The real problem, however, is that the time I USED to spend updating the site now is taken up by my professional writing.

That being said, I am aware that the entire site has stagnated, and I am working on a plan to get it back in action. I know, you've heard that before, but frankly I don't know what else to tell you. The reason I haven't appointed anyone else to help run the site is because I don't trust anyone to do so like I did the original staff. It's sad, but true. To become a webmaster means that you gain access to the SWRPGNetwork backend, and I don't like giving over that kind of power to just anyone.

I'd also like to be honest with you about one more thing: it really rankles me when people start getting rude or ranting about my failure to update the site. Please remember that while I would love to update more, there is little I can do to prevent delays. That being said, the site is on my mind more as of late. I'd hoped to do more with the site by now, but at the very least I'm looking into ways to revitalize things.

Your words have not fallen on deaf ears, rest assure. They may have fallen on ears belonging to a very, very busy person, but not deaf. I know you want more updates, and I want them too. I would just ask you to continue to be patient.

EDIT: Yeah, I made some changes. Decided that I was being a bit snippy and none of you deserve that for being concerned about the site.

Rostek
12 June 2006, 05:53 PM
That "work" business is generally a pain-- if only the world would only understand the true importance of SW... but alas alack ;)

I totally understand about the issues with letting people into the "able to fiddle with operations" club, too. Still, my offer stands if you ever become that desperate B)

PsychoInfiltrator
13 June 2006, 02:24 PM
I'd like to start with saying that I never intended any rudeness or ranting, if any was seen to be received. My sincere apologies if there was any.

Your words have not fallen on deaf ears, rest assure. They may have fallen on ears belonging to a very, very busy person, but not deaf. I know you want more updates, and I want them too. I would just ask you to continue to be patient.

Yes sir! I'm just glad that you have the time to keep the site running and that you so obviously care so much about this site. DRL ain't new to anybody, and I won't push you to update. I totally understand the trust issue, and
I totally understand about the issues with letting people into the "able to fiddle with operations" club, too. Still, my offer stands if you ever become that desperate what he said.

I honestly don't ever expect any position of power here at the site at all, nor is it number one on my wishlist, (which is Freedom and Justice for all,) but if needed, I can and will perform to my utmost.

Let no one speak rudeness or ranting to the high Webmaster Moridin ever, from this day forth! Long live the SWRPGNetwork, which he hath created!

FULONGAMER
14 June 2006, 04:16 PM
To be fair to Moridin, the "visible development of products" is really what a great number of the Holonetters do. Everything I've done in regards to Jedi Classes, Armor, Starship(and vehicle) combat, Grenades, Zero Gee, and an uncountable number of other threads are examples.

Every other day there is a new poster with "here's my new Force tradition" or "Any feedback on this new Ship's STATS" I truly feel that most of us post here to get genuine feedback used to refinish and refine all our products into material that not only does the game justice, but is actually worth hanging your name on whether anyone else even cares or not.

It is this crucible that helps form those who really have the drive and desire to breach that threshold and become professionals in this craft the skills one must need. Moridin himself is a prime example of this, and there are others. I may not agree with everything he does, and accept that he has the right to say the same about my works....but I credit him for doing that which I can yet only hope to attain. His name now graces covers. I'm only a footnote in an index........For now......

I wouldn't want to pass this treasury off to anything but the best of us, and I hope Moridin finds the one(s) he's looking for ::handwave:: sooner rather than later, but accept his judgement. We don't want this place facing raids by the Flanneled-One's regiments of CAD-bearing lawyer-minions, after all. Just know that we here do have impact and influence on that which has been produced to date, and as long as we maintain the higher levels of decorum, productivity, and well thought debate we can continue on, even into the murky depths of the SWRPG's future.

(hey, it IS the Rants and Raves forum....)

Moridin
16 June 2006, 11:28 AM
Oh, one more thing. Grimace pointed out to me that I made it sound like I'm going to be stepping down. That is not the case, not at all. What I was saying was that in order to bring on someone to do Submissions and such, they have to have access to our backend, which is something I'm reluctant to relenquish.

You guys will be happy to know that I've been working on some pretty big stuff for the site lately, and am hoping that it will come to fruition. I will be up front, though: the site's software problems are my #1 priority, and until I get those things fixed (repairing comments, stopping the database overflow, and upgrading critical system among them) I won't have time to focus on content.

I've just made a deal that will keep the Empire out of here forever. And if you don't buy that, I've been working with my peeps to try and get the ball rolling on repairs and maintenance.

PsychoInfiltrator
16 June 2006, 02:17 PM
You guys will be happy to know that I've been working on some pretty big stuff for the site lately, and am hoping that it will come to fruition.

:D

I will be up front, though: the site's software problems are my #1 priority, and until I get those things fixed (repairing comments, stopping the database overflow, and upgrading critical system among them) I won't have time to focus on content.

The important stuff comes first. (decides not to joke about TC-3.)

We'll wait patiently.

I've just made a deal that will keep the Empire out of here forever.

Right....that's a good thing? ;)

And if you don't buy that, I've been working with my peeps to try and get the ball rolling on repairs and maintenance.

Oh good, I don't have to defect. Yay repairs and maintenance! ;):);)

Zerek
9 July 2006, 02:03 PM
i agree. i sent a ton of submissions only to find nothing gets updated.

PsychoInfiltrator
10 July 2006, 05:54 PM
You can email it to Moridin as described in a recent post in the SWRPGNetwork forum. (Will this thread never die?)