PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Trials in the Rebellion Era

Zeltron_Jedi
6 July 2005, 02:43 PM
Just a thought, but since there's no Jedi Council or organized system of trials by this time period...and each must face a certain number of trials to become a Jedi...I'm kicking around ideas for what those might be.

Here's what I'm thinking so far.

All must build their own lightsaber, the way I have it set up right now, they will have to do this as the campaign progresses.

One PC will have to train a student (So that the student, a force-sensitive Twi'lek tech spec 2, gains a level of Jedi Guardian.)

One PC will have to come up with their own lightsaber combat style, in effect creating a new Form Feat.

Has anybody else set up specific trials people must undergo in order to become Jedi during the Rebellion Era? I figure that since in the movies we see Luke having to face Darth Vader in order to become a Jedi, I'm not asking too much.

Any thoughts?

BrianDavion
6 July 2005, 04:32 PM
canalogically speaking the rebellion era trial is "kill a sith lord" :D

boccelounge
6 July 2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by BrianDavion
canalogically speaking the rebellion era trial is "kill a sith lord" :D

hee hee... and I think Yoda loosened up the dress code too.

Darth_Cassed
6 July 2005, 11:34 PM
Well I'd say you would have to speak to Luke Skywalker in order to become a Jedi. Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda, the old Masters of the old Jedi ways and the last surviving Jedi, confided in Luke to be the first Jedi of the New Order and the leader of said order.

So really, all other Jedi must go through him to be able to be considered as such.

wolverine
7 July 2005, 02:55 AM
Very true. Plus, with no other masters out there teaching, how will these jedi in waiting, get the training needed to even pass beyond padawans.??

Lucas Carr
7 July 2005, 04:10 AM
IIRC there are others trained in the Force out there (as we can se in EU), though the only one I can remember was the one that taught Kyp before Luke found him.

Practically one could become a Jedi Knight without the help of Luke, but as he is the head of the Order, a person would have to, at some point, go through him to be recognized as such in the Order.

Darklighter
7 July 2005, 06:33 AM
Well Zeltron_Jedi, I guess it all depends on how difficult you want to make it. The Rebellion era is such a challenging time for budding jedi that I think I would make the whole path to Jedi Knight one extended trial, not encapsulate it in single moment.

I see you're using the D20 system, so during the Rebellion era, no one should start out as a Jedi. That's the first hurdle. Then I'd start with the basics. How do these characters discover their Force sensitivity? Once accomplished, how do they go from there to learning Force skills? That would definitely require some kind of mission/adventure, and you don't have to let them go to the Jedi classes until they've accomplished these steps.

You can also limit the range of skills to which they have access. In the Rebellion era, there are so few sources of knowledge, with fewer teachers, and Force skills may be at low levels when these individuals are found.

Then there's the lightsabre as a task. They have to learn how to make one, gather the materials, etc. And then they have to learn how to use the thing!

You don't have to create new feats for them to discover. It would be a huge accomplishment for a budding Jedi to simply 'rediscover' an existing feat. The challenge isn't necessarily in discovering something new in the Rebellion era; the challenge is in discovering anything at all.

This should always mean adventures and quests, of course - a multitude of trials they've encountered and endured. ;)

Anyway, I hope some of that thinking is useful. :)

FlipDog 2000
10 July 2005, 06:34 AM
Also, if someone dares to become a heavy force user during this time, they better be prepared to be hunted down by the Emperor's minions.

...like me...

And how would they go through Luke? No one really knows about Luke becoming a Jedi unless you're a high ranking official of the Rebellion, a fellow base member...or one of his friends.

Trials during this time should be something like, "don't get killed."

Mith Eer
10 July 2005, 09:12 AM
Well I guess that if Force spirit like Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin can appear, they can teach to a Force-sensitive the ways of the Force. So if your adventure takes place during ANH, you can have Qui-Gon Jinn who appears from time to time and instruct the Force-sensitive in the ways of the Force and the art of the Jedi.

Also, you can use Luke Skywalker as an "instructor" as soon as he gained the Jedi guardian 4th level. At that moment, he knows the basis of the Jedi art.

wolverine
11 July 2005, 02:26 AM
Problem with that, is with Obi, he stuck with luke, cause luke was like an anchor to his spirit. Qui has been gone for a while, so how would he be still there for the pcs??