PDA

View Full Version : New Minis from WotC

Nightsider
18 July 2005, 01:23 AM
Any details on future miniatures for the Star Wars Miniatures Game from Wizards of the Coast?

:isd:

PneumaZ
18 July 2005, 06:26 AM
Yes actually. In august the begine the Universe Line of Mini's which will include the first set of HUGE mini's for SW. It will encompase characters from the movies and the EU plus the three main eras if i remember correctly.

Then in November they will be releasing the massive AT-AT mini for 50 bucks.

January will be the release month of the Champions of the Force which will be a similar companion to the Universe line. After that...i am not sure.

Reverend Strone
18 July 2005, 05:08 PM
January will be the release month of the Champions of the Force which will be a similar companion to the Universe line. After that...i am not sure.

Ooh ooh! I am! I know! I have been doing stat card sketch illustrations for the new and upcoming sets and I can say that there is some incredibly cool stuff coming down the pipe. Unfortunately, I am sworn to silence over them all so can say nothing, but take it from me- cool stuff is a-comin' folks.

I would expect WoTC to reveal their plans for the line publicly at Gen Con this year- though that is just a guess.

PneumaZ
19 July 2005, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Reverend Strone

Ooh ooh! I am! I know! I have been doing stat card sketch illustrations for the new and upcoming sets and I can say that there is some incredibly cool stuff coming down the pipe. Unfortunately, I am sworn to silence over them all so can say nothing, but take it from me- cool stuff is a-comin' folks.

I would expect WoTC to reveal their plans for the line publicly at Gen Con this year- though that is just a guess.

Thats just mean Strone...:yoda

Lord Kjeran
19 July 2005, 01:23 PM
Chello!

I just hope there's a ::thrawn::

lol

Tony

Reverend Strone
20 July 2005, 07:54 PM
Thats just mean Strone.

Yeah, you're right. Sorry guys, but trust me- cool stuff is coming. ;)

PneumaZ
21 July 2005, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Lord Kjeran
Chello!

I just hope there's a ::thrawn::

lol

Tony

Actually If i remember, there is a Thrawn. Plus Xixor...i know he's a faleen, but it will be cool to have one. Or is that in champions? Strone?

Donovan Morningfire
21 July 2005, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Reverend Strone
Yeah, you're right. Sorry guys, but trust me- cool stuff is coming. ;)
Well, if you're working on the artwork for future sets, that's good enough for me *gives Rev a double thumbs up*

GunStar4
21 July 2005, 02:33 PM
Does anyone know how many figures are going to be in the Universe set?
60 like the other Star Wars sets, or 72 like the D&D Huge set?

Reverend Strone
21 July 2005, 03:33 PM
Ghengis Ska has a great website devoted to the latest minis news. Check it out here. (http://swminisinfoworld.com/index.htm) He answers many of your questions in there. I'd recommend checking it out. :)

Oh and thanks Don. :)

Sithspawn
27 July 2005, 08:36 AM
Just seen this on Rebelscum.com
I'm a bit miffed that they still have to include yet more repeat characters. Han, Lando, Yoda, and two Lukes!

Still, from the pics I've seen so far they look pretty good.

UNIVERSE (HUGE PACK) - Upcoming Set (partial list)
Republic
__ Clone Trooper on BARC Speeder
__ Obi-Wan Kenobi on Boga
__ Naboo Flash Speeder

Rebel
__ Admiral Ackbar
__ Han Solo, General
__ Luke Skywalker on Tauntaun
__ Leia in Endor Gear
__ Chewbacca
__ Rebel Commando (Endor Gear)
__ Orrimarrko
__ Lando Calrissian, General
__ Wedge Antilles
__ Yoda

New Republic
__ Kyle Katarn
__ Kyp Durron
__ Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master
__ Noghri

Separatist
__ Acklay
__ Darth Maul on Sith Speeder
__ Nexu
__ Sith Assassin
__ Super Battle Droid
__ Super Battle Droid
__ Super Battle Droid
__ Hailfire Droid
__ Reek

Imperial
__ AT-ST
__ Baron Fel
__ Grand Admiral Thrawn
__ Stormtrooper
__ X1 Viper Droid

Yuuzhan Vong
__ Yuuzhan Vong in black armor
__ Warmaster Tsavong Lah
__ Yuuzhan Vong Warrior

Fringe
__ B'omarr Monk
__ Bith Mercenary
__ Dash Rendar
__ Dr. Evazan
__ Guri
__ Lobot
__ Abyssin
__ Prince Xizor
__ Rodian in trenchcoat
__ Shistavanen Mercenary
__ Rancor
__ Tusken Raider on Bantha

Wesly Senesca
27 July 2005, 07:35 PM
Although I have to agree with you on the the doubles issue, Sithspawn, I do believe some of them are welcome: Luke, Jedi Master, Generals Solo and Calrissian, even Ep IV Leia. Here's hoping Katarn's stats and figure do him justice. Also, I'm hoping they make a Light Side Mara Jade--mayhaps after her marriage? Oh, and Corran Horn, with or without a lightsaber, I don't care.

On a side note, Rancor...AT-ST? How big are these boosters gonna be?!

Sithspawn
27 July 2005, 10:48 PM
This is the HUGE pack.
60 mini's in the set, with 10 HUGE (approx. 3x3). There's a guaranteed Huge in every booster, same as the D&D Huge. Does mean the price is going to higher though, but my supplier still hasn't got a price for me.

saucercrab
28 July 2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Sithspawn
This is the HUGE pack.
60 mini's in the set, with 10 HUGE (approx. 3x3). There's a guaranteed Huge in every booster, same as the D&D Huge. Does mean the price is going to higher though, but my supplier still hasn't got a price for me.
If it follows the D&D mini' pricing, then the huge sets should be more expensive, prob' running around $20 (the list price for the Giants of Legend series) . 'Course, I don't have any SW mini's, so my knowledge base is inherently flawed. :(

Wesly Senesca
28 July 2005, 05:11 PM
Depending on where you go, they can run between ten to fifteen dollars.

'Course, I don't have any SW mini's, so my knowledge base is inherently flawed.

Sucks to be you, dude. :(

saucercrab
29 July 2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Wesly Senesca
Sucks to be you, dude. :(
Heh, the frownie was for the "inherently flawed" comment, not the lack of SW minis'. Since I'm not currently involved in a SWRPG game, I have absolutely no use for them. :)

On top of that, from the SW ones I've seen (& from the looks of the D&D ones that I have), I'm not all that impressed with WotC's plastic minis' in general. What I do value them for, is for the large & huge monsters that cost mucho bucks for pewter versions. Being able to get a plastic bulette or blue slaad for the equivalent of a couple bucks is freakin' awesome. My SW games usually involve character-type characters/minis', & WotC's plastic minis' just aren't up to snuff for me for that purpose.

Sorry 'bout the mini rant. Pun intended. :D

Wesly Senesca
29 July 2005, 04:24 PM
WotC's plastic minis' just aren't up to snuff for me for that purpose.

Yeah, quite a few of them don't look as good as they could have been. And not just the scultures, the stats, too. I was disapointed with the stats for Anakin/Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight minis. Anakin didn't have the powers I would have given him, and Luke's stats were a little too low for my tastes. Here's hoping that Luke's Jedi Master stats and powers are much more representative of him during the NJO--he is the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy by then and the strongest lightsaber combatant, too.

Reel 2/Dialogue 2
25 August 2005, 12:28 PM
I'm kind of disappointed that they're not casting/designating these figures in the same fashion they do the TCG, such as having common, uncommon, and rare figures of major characters. Otherwise, I've been waiting years for this game to happen. "What took them so long" doesn't even cut it!!

Cha_man
25 August 2005, 01:57 PM
I thought there was a rare/common scale, or is that just D&D minis? whatever. some of the 'minis' will not be in a box, like the Sentinal from the Marvel minis, the At-At is huge, I think the base was 4x8 probably a little longer. It's going to be 45 or 50 dollars.

Sithspawn
26 August 2005, 04:20 PM
I've seen a photo of the AT-AT, it looks awesome.

As for the Universe range, I do like them. My only gripe is the constant need to keep re-doing characters such as Chewbacca, Luke & Vader. That said the Luke on Taun Taun is excellent and it's the best Vader figure yet. I would like to see more races though so they're more useful to us RPGers. And at least Commons go cheap on Ebay.

I bought one more box today and was pleasantly surprised. The Huge was the Rare Clone Trooper on the bike, and I also had the Very Rare Darth Maul on bike. A Rare and Very Rare in the same box, superb! B)

Donovan Morningfire
27 August 2005, 05:37 AM
Sithspawn,
I'm pretty sure the Huges and regular-sized figs are individually sorted in terms of rarity. The booster I opened that contained my Rancor also had a Kyle Katarn, both Very Rares. Sadly, Luke on TaunTaun is the one Huge I need to finish the set (along with a handful of Rares and Very Rares)

Reel 2/Dialogue 2,
The "common/uncommon/rare" separation of the same character is one of the many gripes I've heard concerning HeroClix, which has three levels of most of the characters. While that might work fine for a CCG, if WotC did that with the minis, myself and a fair number of people would be royally pissed.

Cha_man,
The rarity scale in SW minis is the same as D&D minis, going from Common to Uncommon to Rare to Very Rare.

(Of course, just because a figure is Very Rare doesn't mean it's uber. Dr. Evazan is a VR, and he's about half worthless, while the Phase III Dark Troopers are pretty darn brutal for Uncommons. Then of course you've got your Mace Windus, Master Lukes, Yodas, Darth Palpatine, and Darth Mauls that live up to the VR=uber concept.)

Reel 2/Dialogue 2
28 August 2005, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Donovan Morningfire
The "common/uncommon/rare" separation of the same character is one of the many gripes I've heard concerning HeroClix, which has three levels of most of the characters. While that might work fine for a CCG, if WotC did that with the minis, myself and a fair number of people would be royally pissed.

But why? The stats for a common Luke would be lower than that of a rare, and would allow casual collectors to have him in play without paying through the nose in secondary markets to get the very rare Luke. Might even drive the market price down. Everybody but speculators wins (always a dream world of mine... ;)). Unless you're worried about whether the same or different molds would be used for a major character... meh, either way I'll be satisfied.

Right now, I'm just hoping to see some Human Fringers made, for RPG purposes. Not every Rebel or smuggler dresses like an Imperial Navy guard or in Hoth fatigues.

One thing that is weird is who is designated as part of the Fringe. Ewoks? Working for the Empire? If you thought they were dangerous with slings...

EDIT: Got to thinking a bit more, and figured a way to circumvent having to end up with 15 common Bespin Lukes or such during booster collecting... common box sets. Much like West End did (though not for rarity reasons), have Stormtrooper Han, Chewie with Hydrospanner, the Droids, Hoth Leia, Bespin Luke, General Lando, Wicket, and Jek Porkins in a seperate set like "Heroes of the Rebellion" or such. Other sets could feature Imperials, Seperatists, Republicans (heh), and Fringe. WIZARDS WOULD CLEAN UP, I TELL YOU!! :D

This would only work with major characters, mind you. If done with army builders, a lot of customers might abandon the boosters.

Drendar Morevo
28 August 2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Donovan Morningfire
Your theory doesn't exactly hold water, I got a Tsavong Lah UR (he also lives up to uber-badassness of an UR) in a booster just chock full of uncommons and commons
Same when I got my pidly 4-LOM (R) in a box full of stormies and holth troopers.

The Hailfire droid looks stupid... I should know, I've got one...:rolleyes: I would much rather have gotten an X-1...

I've gotten tired of having such small squads, my buddies and I play with ARMIES, 400 pointers and such. we're looking foreward to multiple AT-AT's vs Epic amount of trooper assaults.

blemelisk
14 September 2005, 09:07 AM
that is how we play Drendar Morevo at the venue i go to we have 3 4' by 10' tables all lined up and we all get about 200 or more points of minis and fight it out on the table. we have a lot of warhammer (warhammer and warhammer 40k) terrain and it works out pretty darn well... and it looks great 2. 2 story houses from which to recreut new units or take a granade * d6 odds your ok you can role to recrout evens take 10 damage save 11, to recrout rol d6 even you succeed, role d6 1=10 points 2= 20 etc...* it is A LOT of fun. we will have about 6 or more of us playing. and the game will last at least 6 hours or so.

the common to ultra rare thing:
maybe have rebel luke be common,
jedi knight luke uncommon
master luke (ep 6) rare
master luke (post ep 6) ultra rare....

other wise i dont like it cause you dont want 5 or 6 luke skywalkers of the same type do you? AND everyone else have them 2... no trade value and not very cool when you rather have one luke and some troopers to make your squad.

just my 2 cents.

btw: i had a friend that was going to host a game like that the Battle of Hoth... we have a table that is an "ice field" like table that the venue got at a con..... its going to be awsome.

djas_puhr
14 September 2005, 09:57 AM
WH40k is fun. At my local game store we've played a 4k point army battle. Needless to say it took forever to finish! The table was six feet wide by twelve feet long and had an attachment at the south end to make a 'T' shape that was six feet wide by twelve feet long. The terrain was awsome and very detailed. There were elevation changes ranging two inches to eight inches. Two story buildings and four story buildings as well. It took us little over a week just to set up the terrain and buildings, but man it was SO fun.

I wish I had picutes of it on hand so you all could see it. I'll see if my folks still have my photos at home in Washington State.

blemelisk
14 September 2005, 11:38 AM
http://www.thedragoncaves.com/sitedefault.aspx

of the venue i used to go to and they used to have pictures of the games.....but they arent up for some reason.... but i know the terain you are talking about.. its expensive but awsome for star wars minis

Donovan Morningfire
14 September 2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Drendar Morevo
Your theory doesn't exactly hold water, I got a Tsavong Lah UR (he also lives up to uber-badassness of an UR) in a booster just chock full of uncommons and commons
I can only comment on what I've personally seen. I'm not saying that it's a common occurance (also pulled Tsavong Lah w/ the Huge being yet another frelling Viper Droid), just that I've seen it. Maybe those incidents were boosters that were mispacked. That's the thing with "randomly sorted collectible MacGuffins." Sometimes the randomness works against you (getting a uber-fig amongst a bunch of crap figs), sometimes it works for you (getting two or more really cool figures in one box).

Though as far as collectible games go, I don't think I've seen much that could beat my pulling Darth Vader, Vader's Lightsaber, and Tarkin for the Decipher CCG in my first starter :vader: :ds1:

Cha_man
14 September 2005, 09:00 PM
I thought so, but I wasn't sure, and some of the other posts implied that there wasn't. So I went for a clarification.

Anywho, I'll just keep using the figs I have from WEG, & legos for anything I don't have