PDA

View Full Version : Hyperspace Attacks

Uron Teff
18 July 2005, 03:06 PM
Hi guys!

It's just ashort question about the Hyperspace and Hyperdrives.

What happens if you accelerate a starship into hyperspace in front of a capital ship?

Are they both blown up? Does nothing happen, because of the less mass of the capital ship compared to a planet?

Maybe you can help me!

Lucas Carr
18 July 2005, 10:50 PM
I would say that that depends on the direction you're flying in.

If you're not flying towards the capital ship, you can jump to hyperspace normally as the films show us.

But if you're flying towards the capital ship, I'd say it has the standard effect of a collision.

Ace Calhoon
19 July 2005, 06:21 AM
I believe Pirates & Privateers states that it takes a mass equal to that of the ship in hyperspace to trigger its failsafe mechanism (or destroy the vessel if the failsafe has been tampered with). Although I seem to recall seeing other sources that indicated a smaller required mass.

That bit of technobabble aside, I'd agree with Lucas Carr on this one: if the ship in question is on a collision course with the Star Destroyer, it won't be able to jump (either collides with the Destroyer prior to entering hyperspace, or is dragged out by the Destroyer's mass shadow). But if the smaller ship isn't the Star Destroyer doesn't have a large enough gravity well to prevent the jump.

hisham
19 July 2005, 06:51 AM
I seem to remember in Jedi Council: Acts of War, Saesee Tiin or someone disabling the failsafes and making a microjump from the orbit of one side of a planet to the other side... He said, paraphasing from my bad memory, "It's not impossible, just not recommended" or something like that. Dont have the comic with me right now for an exact quote and account.

Salith
19 July 2005, 07:16 AM
In the XWing series of games, you can't jump to Hyperspace if a capital-scale ship/object is in the way.