PDA

View Full Version : New jersey and smoking...

wolverine
26 July 2005, 10:29 PM
Just read in the stars and stripes, that new jersey is trying to pass laws banning you from smoking while driving YOUR car/truck etc.
Apparently, the politician pushing it, is cause according to the death stats from last year, 1 whole percent of the deaths caused were from people smoking at the wheel.... Makes me wonder how many are attributed to people yapping on cel phones, or having to turn their heads to talk to kids in the back of the vehicle...

Sithspawn
27 July 2005, 11:06 PM
Well in the UK takling on your mobile phone while driving is illegal. And I think that throwing cigarette stubs from car windows should be too!

Actually the law is a bit messed up over here. You must keep both hands on the sterring wheel at all times. So how do you change gear then? How do you adjust the choke? Are you not allowed to wipe a misted up window?

Read a few weeks back that a guy got fined for waving his arms around in his car while waiting stationary at traffic lights. The police claimed he was not aware of his surroundings while in control of a vehicle, even though he wasn't moving!

wolverine
28 July 2005, 01:30 AM
Yes, i know how bad it is in the UK. Heck i was glad to go, after i read 2 reports on people fined for 'not being in control of vehicles due to eaing an apple (or that other one, who was blowing his nose while at a stop light)..

saucercrab
28 July 2005, 03:01 PM
Wolverine,
I'm pretty sure that not using a hands-free device with your cell phone while driving is illegal in NJ. Or at least it is in most towns & cities here.

(I say this because your first post seems to imply that it should be illegal.)

wolverine
29 July 2005, 01:39 AM
Well, i know of a few states that have made it illegal, but not all.

saucercrab
29 July 2005, 02:56 PM
I'm guessing states with major metro areas & high population densities are the type to make it illegal, but others, like Montana for instance, don't have too big a problem with cell phones & driving. ;)

coldskier0320
30 July 2005, 06:34 PM
Just read in the stars and stripes, that new jersey is trying to pass laws banning you from smoking while driving YOUR car/truck etc

Good grief, hope it doesn't catch on in PA, right next door. PA laws are anal enough as is. Not to mention I'd probably cause more accidents without being able to chill out and light a cigarette when people aggrivate me on the road...:rolleyes:

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
9 August 2005, 08:26 PM
Well, in our provinve of Saskatchewan, Canada here we've got smoking bylaws which bans allowance of smoking within public buildings. You wanna smoke, you have to smoke outside.

I'm a non smoker, and do have asthma & allergies. In some ways its a good thing this bylaw, the air in some public places is easier to breath - some malls, and eateries - especially durring busy times where theres a fair crowd and most of them are 'lit up' .

Though I do sympathize and understand that for those who smoke, need their nicotene fix and its a royal PIA having to go outside for it, even if its -30C in the winter. Especially those who dress light and formal to their workplace with indoor parking. Dunno about the rules about going back to their vehicle at break and smoking inside.

Though the law has not expanded to smoking within vehicle, or public living dwellings such as apartments.

Having lived the last several years in an apartment, thats one law I wish was extended to- when its winter, the windows frozen solid shut, and everyone down the hall, and floors above and below are smokers and 'lite up' , the smell does get and stay inside my apartment, and its several times worse in the hallway.

Now, considering that the smoking bylaw they do have implemented here, i'm griping with the lack of any "cell phone while driving" bylaws...

I can't even begin to tell you how many accidents are in this city due to those things. I've been hit several times, each time by someone yammerin a conversation on their cell and too busy to pay attention to the vehicle operation and traffic. And too many countless "near misses" by people miraculously slamming the breaks and reacting barely in split time to avoid a collision, but its still very much a "heart in your throat" moment of stress that i'd be very happy to do without....

Hands free vehicle cells? it only gives people reason to use thier hands for talk gestures while talking as if they were standing/sitting in person talking while using their hands...

Kinda stupid to how bad driving conditions / drivers in the city here have gotten and sunken to... Since the days of drive-throughs at fast-food joints, people have been eating takout while behind the wheel and that has caused by far, way less accidents, if not even a half of 1 percent, as cell phones have. ...

Ahh well... was nice to rant for a little bit ;)

chiefcaptin
10 August 2005, 05:02 AM
Hey Terras you never told me you was from CANADA!!!

I'm Canadian as well but I live down here in California were all public places inside or out are off limits to smoking. You go to Wallmart, you don't smoke until you get home. Taking a walk to the park, wait until you get home. It's awsome. Our cars don't even come with lighters or ashtrays any more. As they used to say on those commercials, "Smoke free is the way to be."B)

wolverine
10 August 2005, 05:30 AM
And one of the reasons i am heavily leaning against living in cali when i get out the navy...

Rostek
10 August 2005, 11:16 AM
I'm in Terras's school of thought- as a fellow asthmatic and allergy sufferer, I detest people who insist on smoking in indoor public places. It burns my lungs and makes every other non-smoker's eyes water.
What you do in your own home is your own business (so long as you're not harming anyone else- which elimiates the "closed apartment buildings" of Terras' example), but your car... I don't know.
Cell phones are a menace to drivers in my region- you have no idea how many cars I've seen spun out in the median on I-35 because someone 'needed' to use their cellphone. Hands free... well, I suppose that's a decently reasonable alternative.

Master Dao Rin
10 August 2005, 06:48 PM
Here, here, Rostek.

Even OUTSIDE, the smoke drifts by in a hazy cloud of death.

Smoking is a vile disgusting habit that makes even Palpatine look like Jessica Simpson in comparison.

:D

chiefcaptin
10 August 2005, 07:01 PM
All the more reson to live in Ca. wolverine. Come here, get a patch, and you'll live anouther day. Heck it makes that wampa with one arm from ESB look like Jessica Simpson and the Rancore look like some other rich and famouse chick.