PDA

View Full Version : Starship question...

wolverine
23 August 2005, 05:55 AM
Something came up, while playing Sparks at Gencon.

One of the rules we have been using a lot, which initially came from one of the D6 modules, was that when a ship wishes to land, it uses the repulsor ops skill. Though the rules don't say anything on it in the books, and as such would default to space transports. Many people complained about it, and it got changed to space transports mid con...

What say you all??? was that a good rule we used?

Random Axe
23 August 2005, 09:06 AM
...therefore the skill would remain under Starship Piloting. I've never differentiated the kind of operations needed to get a ship from point A to Point B.

Repulsorlift Ops is used to pilot any other repulsor-driven vehicle that is not a starship.

Jedi_Shadow
23 August 2005, 10:18 AM
It has less to do with the device/engine used for locomotion, and more to do with the control console involved. An X-Wing, for example, uses a flight stick and pedals for maneuvering, warranting the use of Starfighter Piloting. The Millenium Falcon on the other hand is more of a "keys and knobs" console setup, and as such uses Space Transports to control them. Additionally, Capital Ship Piloting is for piloting systems with a crew of up to hundreds or thousands.

As Random Axe pointed out, Repulsorlift Operation is for smaller craft with something similar to a steering wheel or control yoke. Something similar to a flight stick or joystick could be used, but I'd imagine it would be different enough from Starfighter Piloting to require the different skill usage.

Anyway, that's just my rule of thumb. There could be examples of how and where the skills are used, but as I see it this is generally how it stands.

Also, Random Axe mentioned the skill Starship Piloting. That was used in the first and second editions of D6 (IIRC), and Revised and Expanded split that into the skills I mentioned before. Deciding whether you want to use the original skill or split it in half is up to the group.

Kelcheck
23 August 2005, 07:27 PM
Hey Buddy... I would have to stick with Space transport/ starfighter piloting even when taking off and landing. Part of a Pilot's training (IMO based of earth pilots) covers taking off and landing the craft.

PsychoInfiltrator
24 August 2005, 05:19 AM
Isn't this a D6 subject? None of this makes any sense to me (a D20er) so I think it is...which would imply that it is currently in the wrong forum.

Kelcheck
24 August 2005, 05:25 PM
well it is more of a gm question really, besides d20 specific threads are post all over with out anyone caring. Its fine where it is