PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Soundtracks

The Old Master
13 September 2005, 06:24 AM
What's your favourite soundtrack?
I have these, but I can't range them:

Duel of the Fates, Imperial March, Across the Stars, The Force Theme, (Tales of a Jedi Knight) Learn.

Most Star Wars music is good, there are some other good ones at the end of Episode 3, but I haven't had the time to look up their titles.

Edit: Most of John William's works are good :P

Wesly Senesca
13 September 2005, 03:32 PM
Favorite soundtrack or favorite track from a soundtrack? Honestly, I prefer the second disk of Ep V SE--good stuff.

Thinithil
13 September 2005, 03:35 PM
I'm a big ESB guy. The music seemed to tell the story SO well I recorded them in cinematic order and could "see" the movie as I listened.

specifics: (in no particular order)
The Asteroid Field
Yoda's Theme
Imperial Theme
Hyperspace
The Rebel Fleet-End Title

The Old Master
14 September 2005, 07:06 AM
The best track... You have to excuse my blurry English...

Codym
14 September 2005, 01:00 PM
Out of the indivual tracks, my top five...

1. 20th Century Fox Fanfare & Star Wars Main Theme ... doesn't matter how many times I hear that combination, it never fails to bring back to old excitement. I'm so glad they included the fanfare on 2-disc special editions, it wouldn't be the complete soundtracks without it.

2. Duel of the Fates. Still perhaps the "song" I listen to the most. My favourite piece of music from Prequels. (While I am fond of Battle of the Heroes, I was disappointed that Anakin and Obi-Wan didn't duke it out to Fates.) This is also probably the most played piece of music in my RPG community, used for epic confrontations (I know of at least six game masters - none running Star Wars - who have used it to set the mood for showdowns.)

2. Imperial March. Just a cool piece of military music, and again, brought out a lot in local roleplaying games to set the tone.

3. Binary Sunsets. Sums up the magic and wonder of Star Wars, and is a beautiful piece of music on its own.

4. Asteroid Chase. This piece makes me dizzy. I can almost feel the Falcon lurching to avoid collisions with space debris when I listen to it.

5. Anakin's Theme. A nice reworking of Vader's theme, nuff said.

Out of the actual soundtracks themselves, much like the movies, I have to go with the original, A New Hope. It defined Star Wars and gave it that extra bit of magic that caused the saga to become a big part of my life for the last 28 years.

The Old Master
14 September 2005, 01:19 PM
A little to the side here: Day in and day out I wonder why the duel between Maul and Qui-Gon is called Duel of the Fates. Is it because they both meet their fates in the reactor room (or shaft or what it's called)? Or is it because everyones fates are dependant on that duel? (The duel of the fates isn't excactly over until Obi-Wan kills Darth Maul, though, but the track stops before then).

Anyway, my conclusion is this:

With this duel, the Sith are once again revealed completely to the galaxy. Qui-Gon meets his doom in the duel, which is the way it should be. When he dies, he seals both Obi-Wan's and Anakin's fate. Obi-Wan must kill the Sith and train Anakin. As the chosen one Anakin also has a faith to fullfill. There's a lot more I could've said, but I'll skip tos the tricky part: Technically the duel ends at Naboo, but in theory, I think, it doesn't end before Obi-Wan says "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine..."
What he meant by that is another thing I'm pondering about, but that discussion should be taken elsewhere.

Oh, by the way, Battle of Heroes is also magnificent :)