PDA

View Full Version : Gravity Well Theory

Grim Fantango
3 October 2005, 04:28 PM
Ok, so we all understand the idea behind an Imperial Immobilizer 418 (Interdictor) cruiser, The Idea that it projects a gravity well shadow into hyperspace, thus knocking a ship out of hyperspace. Now, it is my understanding that the hyperdrive kicks you out of hyperspace as a precaution, so you donít slam into a planet. Now, if there isnít a planet, and just an Interdictor Cruiser, couldnít you deactivate the safety overrides on your hyperdrive and just jump back in? Or is it the actual gravity field itself that prevents jumping into hyperspace?

Rostek
3 October 2005, 04:41 PM
Short version: Yes

Long version: Doing so would probably require building a new hyperdrive unit, or at least ripping yours apart and rebuiliding it, then reprogramming an entirely new code and operating system into the nav computer.
There are no doubt hundreds, if not thousands of layers of security and safeguards in a hyperdrive/nav computer unit. Turning off the power source to shut down a hyperdrive is one thing, shutting off the nav computer without the hyperdrive? Totally another.
Besides, a ship without those safties wouldn't last very long- think about hitting even a small asteroid at several hundred times the speed of light- without those safties, it will, statistically, happen.
In short, it's something far too complex to have an "on/off" switch for.

coldskier0320
3 October 2005, 04:47 PM
I'd like to echo Rostek on his sentiments, and add to it that it is still, in theory, possible to do. If there's a slicer or a good astro droid in your party, you could hack the nav computer's safety code and get a temporary override, but such a feat should be incredibly difficult and time consuming, as well as being a one-way trip. ie. you'd have to reformat your entire nav comp afterward. This in addition to the very real possibility of hitting a mass shadow on your very first outbound jump that would, at very least, make the future of the group an academic question. ;) Especially in a battle situation, where debris lies all across the immediate area, waiting to be used as a hyperlight projectile against said craft.

hisham
3 October 2005, 05:21 PM
You can see the safety-disabled hyperdrive at work in the comic Jedi Council: Acts of War, when Saesee Tiin jumped "through" the mass shadow of a planet. The jump wasn't explained thoroughly so it might contradict established technical data on it, just that he said (paraphrased), It's not impossible, just insanely difficult.

Rostek
3 October 2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by hisham
You can see the safety-disabled hyperdrive at work in the comic Jedi Council: Acts of War, when Saesee Tiin jumped "through" the mass shadow of a planet. The jump wasn't explained thoroughly so it might contradict established technical data on it, just that he said (paraphrased), It's not impossible, just insanely difficult.

Of course, Saesee had a custom ship (though I don't know if that is what he was flying for this event)- perhaps he had managed to have the nav-computer made on-offable, but It would have to be a totally custom job.
cold is, as usual, correct- at best, you should have to completely reformat the whole shebang after it's use, a task which would require at least a couple hours (if not days), and unless you've got an astrodroid or a Given navigator who can plot coordnates and a collection of the latest sensor logs and astrographic charts, trying to jump without a working navcomputer-hyperdrive link would be suicide (DC 40+ Astrogation check at the very least).

hisham
3 October 2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Rostek
Of course, Saesee had a custom ship (though I don't know if that is what he was flying for this event)- perhaps he had managed to have the nav-computer made on-offable, but It would have to be a totally custom job. It was a variant of the Republic courier ship like the one in the opening shot of TPM. I'd just chalk it up to Saesee's high Instinctive Astrogation skill, if it was D6.

Rostek
3 October 2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by hisham
It was a variant of the Republic courier ship like the one in the opening shot of TPM. I'd just chalk it up to Saesee's high Instinctive Astrogation skill, if it was D6.

Ah- in that case I believe you're right. Instinctive Astrogation would cover it in a jiff- and I suppose if anyone had years of experiance in decativating Nav Computers, it'd be Saesee.

Darth_Cassed
3 October 2005, 06:08 PM
Actually, there's more to this than a hyperdrive. Yes, most hyperdrives will automatically bring you out of hyperspace in the event of a Mass Shadow or Gravity Well being on a collision course. Or at the very least, it will warn you, and tell you to pull out.

No, the problem is that if you strike a mass shadow or gravity well in hyperspace, you're not going to talk to anyone ever again. You will be vaporized in hyperspace, with no trace of your death or your remains.

So really an Immobilizer 418 forces you out of hyperspace, or sends you to your death.

This is not to say that travelling in hyperspace through said conditions is impossible, it's just near impossible. It takes an ace pilot and programmer to be able to pull it off. It'd be a heroic roll in game terms, because it requires making a jump in hyperspace in a mass shadow and skipping off of the edge of it in hyperspace as to not explode.

coldskier0320
3 October 2005, 07:02 PM
I'd always thought that the 418 simulates the mass shadow, fooling the nav-comp into the automatic cutout. Under these circumstances, what Rostek and I said would be accurate. Rostek makesa good assumption as to DCs as well, I might add.

If Elder Cassed is saying what I think he is, jumping blind while in a 418's cone of effect would cause the immediate nonexistence of said craft.

Darth_Cassed
3 October 2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by coldskier0320
I'd always thought that the 418 simulates the mass shadow, fooling the nav-comp into the automatic cutout. Under these circumstances, what Rostek and I said would be accurate. Rostek makesa good assumption as to DCs as well, I might add.

If Elder Cassed is saying what I think he is, jumping blind while in a 418's cone of effect would cause the immediate nonexistence of said craft.

Ah and the debate gets interesting now. :) Been a while since I've debated here on the HNet.

Now, if the Immobilizer 418 is simulating a gravity well, you're right. It's all a trick. However, I think you can simulate a gravity well without 4 huge blisters on the ship. I mean, you can just have a system in the ship projecting it or something, I would think.

As for jumping while in the cone, I think your hyperdrive would merely cease to function. However that could be completely random. It may cease to function, it may blow some bolts, it may explode. Who knows? It's running into the cone that will cause some cool colors.

Darth_Cassed
3 October 2005, 10:02 PM
Ah, if you look HERE (http://www.starwars.com/databank/technology/gravitywellprojector/eu.html), all is explained.

In short, it says that Immbolizer 418s simulate gravity wells, yes. However, they send out powerful waves that distort the mass lines in space, maing it really seem like a mass shadow. So it's simulated, but it is in reality distorting the continuum.

It also states that there was no way to counter this until the Corellian Crisis, when the New Republic invented a device that could move through it. I would think these to be very costly, though.

wolverine
3 October 2005, 10:33 PM
And very dangerous. Remember one of those ships came out severly damaged...

IMO the hyperdrive is not automatically going to drop you out, unless left on automatic. Otherwise it is to you as the pilot to pull the lever dropping you out, though better do it quick. I say this, as IMO the hyperdrive links to the sensors to continually sweep the area ahead of the ship, and when it senses the grav well, it signals to drop out. BUT you have not yet hit it.
Some ships have it where the drive will automatically disengage, others have it manually done...

Darth Fierce
4 October 2005, 03:45 AM
I seem to remember at least one case (probably in TTT) where a starship was drawn out of hyperspace by a Interdictor in interstellar space (no planets around). IIRC, whomever was piloting the said starship had to find a way around (out of) the grav-field being produced by the Interdictor before being able to jump to hyperspace.

Darth Fierce :vader:

Garan
4 October 2005, 03:54 AM
You can find more stuff on the bakuran HIMS in the Genosis and the Outer Rim Guide and Crakenís Threat Dossier. Though as far as I understand the system the down point of it is that it might in fact crash you straight into a real gravity well. 8o

coldskier0320
7 October 2005, 04:20 AM
This (http://swsrc.starwars-rpg.net/guides/blockade/hypermods.html) might be useful as well.