PDA

View Full Version : IC: Q:TU-RG1: Dragon Pearl



coldskier0320
15 November 2005, 06:55 PM
INTERIOR: SOLITUDE STATION- LANDING BAY

Scene opens into the bustle of activity in Solitude’s landing bay. Techs and repair droids move about, completing any number of tasks. On one side of the huge, cavernous chamber, VOOKO ZEELAS, WYNN ANTILLES, KELVIN RADEGANT, and TIA NEBULAR work on two very unique craft: Vooko’s Tancredi-Zeelas PROTOTYPE A-WING and Wynn’s PROTOYPE X-WING. In the middle of the bay rests a new craft, the MOONLIGHT MAIDEN, an older Phoenix Hawk pinnace.

___________________________________________________________

The A-Wing was mostly operational, and Vooko, with the aid of the stations techs, was mainly fine tuning the fighter and synchronizing its systems. Wynn, on the other hand, had enlisted the aid of Kel, Tia, and an entire swarm of techs to assist her in getting her X-wing space-worthy. The fighter had arrived, in pieces, on the Maiden, a freighter that had been scheduled to make a delivery to Eden just hours after the attack. It’s crew had assisted in the base’s cleanup, and delivered its cargo, bringing injured with it to its next stop, Solitude. The fighter had been ravaged by the fuel fire in the Eden hangar, but, all in all, it was only slightly more severe than an unshielded atmospheric descent, and the parts that made the fighter unique had survived more or less unscathed. Taking these parts from the fighter, the Maiden had arrived a few days ago, and since then, Wynn had spent literally every free moment, assisted or not, putting her beloved fighter back together. Solitude, being a fairly remote supply station, had a large stock of spare X-wing parts. Using an empty “parts” X-wing chassis, she’d made most of the necessary alterations, and her ship was now more or less spaceworthy. In another day, it’d be at one-hundred percent.

* * * * *

Wynn closed down the plasma welder she’d ben using for the past twenty minutes, wormed meters up inside the fighter’s fuselage. Wriggling her way out of the craft, she stood on the landing bay floor, stripped off her gloves and wiped twenty minutes of grime and sweat from her forehead. She’d tried the S-foil acuator, only to tear the port ventral wing strut right out of its housing. Now, after several long minutes alone with a plasma welder, she had a solid brace put in, fabricated by the station’s chief tech. Maybe now this overhaul would start going smoothly…

* * * * *

Vooko inhaled reflexively at the cold metal manipulator pressed into his side. After that first day, and the crazy party, the medical wing of the station had seized him as a veritable test-rodent. When he couldn’t manage to sneak away to tweak his fighter, Vooko had been forced to endure hours of testing, re-diagnosis, and overall needless monotony, all in the name of education. Solitude had gotten a decent team of core medical officers, but outside those four or five individuals, much of the medical staff was totally inexperienced. On top of that, there was only a pair of 2-1B droids and four FX-7 medical assistants on board to assist the Med team. Thus, they’d taken to using Vooko as a textbook example of common injuries sustained by fighter pilots. Yeah, he was sore, yeah his neck had taken to making some godawful cracking noises in the mornings since the battle with the Animosity, but he knew he’d come around, without help from these whackos. Still, he stoically endured their tests, though he was nearly sure each and every person in the med-staff had tested him at least five times…

* * * * *

Kelvin stood alone in Observation tower 24-B. He’d found that, while Solitude beat the hell out of Eden, he just couldn’t get used to life in a metal box. He’d been getting along well with Tia over the past few days, and when she’s led him to this little piece of heaven, he’d been infinitely grateful. 24-B portruded from the top of the old barge like a needly spine on a quillarat’s back. Originally designed to help a pilot make a precision landing, 24-B gave a good, 360-degree view of the surrounding area. One half of the view was dominated by the endless blackness and starfield of space, the other, by the hulk of the Solitude’s dorsal surface. The gray, metal mass, dotted with all manner of turrets, antennae, and towers looking much like some sort of eerie, frozen landscape. The galaxy itself hung overhead, its murky mass resembling an overcast sky to complete the illusion. While it wasn’t a real woodland, to Kel, it was all he could hope for way out here. Still, he couldn’t wait to tread on some real dirt again…

coldskier0320
16 November 2005, 10:09 PM
24 hours later...

KELVIN, TIA, WYNN, and VOOKO are working on Wynn's X-wing, and have just finished necessary repairs and have begun superficial maintenance such as painting and cleaning...

As the remaining group works on Wynn's fighter, they have some time to reflect on what has brought them together. Originally meeting each other on Eden, the Imperial attack had forced them to operate as an effective, if unlikely team. In the confusion that followed the Animosity's appearance, they'd managed to not only hold off the imperial attack singlehandedly, but also severely crippled the Animosity itself. In fact, the holo-feeds of the three fighters, combined with the approval of Solitude's commanding officers, had seen to it that Vooko received an official Alliance citation for a Star Destroyer kill. The citation, a bone-white bar, was meant to be displayed on a pilot's flight suit. Reports from Eden personnel established that Imperial rescue craft had succeeded in towing the Star Destroyer away, though it didn't look as if the Animosity would ever harass Rebels again.

Just yesterday, Tobler had received orders from CorSec: they'd received news of the attack and demanded that he return to Corelia immediately to report on the situaiton. As Solitude was a fairly secret station, they only had incoming and outgoing traffic for about a thirty minute window each day. Thus, Tobler's transport was set to leave early tommorow morning. The CorSec transport had arrived yesterday, with orders for his return as well as the means of transportation. The only other transports in the bay were the cigar-shaped hull of the Pachyderm, still dented and scorched from its narrow escape, and the Moonlight Maiden.

the Maiden was on older ship, a Phoenix Hawk - class pinnace that had seen its heydey some time around the clone wars. Still, they were able-bodied little craft, and this one seemed to be in excellent condition, considering its age. It was painted a light slivery blue, and, if one was close enough, a faint set of flames, done only in shading, could be seen running the length of the ship, in an attempt to resemble the old straight-racers from the time when the Maiden was a young ship. While her chassis remained more or less unaltered, anyone who knew ships could see that she'd undergone some significant modifications since she'd rolled off the Kuat Systems Engineering factory line. Her rear engine compartment nearly overflowed with bulky, high performance engines, the turret on the end of the main stabilizer spar was double-sized, sporting an extra pair of heavy blaster cannons, and a single missile launcher hung on a swivel, recessed into the hull, its carbon scoring marking one of the few areas of the hull that you couldnt see your reflection.

With the Maiden had come new faces. The ship's arrival caused a small amount of excitemeny for the crew of Solitude, as they got more news about nearby Eden, but for the people who were there, there was little more to be told, except that the people who'd remained behind were doing well, working on the cleanup.

The crew of the Maiden consisted of a brash sullustan, full of bravado, with an attitude to match and a somewhat more reserved human, who still carried himself well, and exuded an aura of confidence that was unmistakable, even next to his shipmate's boisterous attitude. Flying along with them was a second human who had a different sort of confidence, but had it just the same. Blessed with a quick wit and strikingly good looks, this man was a favorite with the female portion of Solitude's staff before he heven made it to the bottom of the ramp. Since his arrival, he was rarely seen without some sort of company, and he'd even managed to come across some rare and expensive wine that had somehow survived last week's revelry.

Now however, the "repair crew" is interrupted, as a junior tech walks up to the group.

"Lieutenant Antilles?", the young girl asks.

Upon being recognized, she continues, "Major Tumb would like you to report to briefing room 5A at 1730 this evening."

Then, message delivered, she turns smartly, and heads off on some other errand.

((OOC: Go ahead and post your reactions. Assume that you have about four hours until the meeting. You can do what you like in this time, but end your post with your entrance into briefing room 5A.))

Kell, Koss, and Remy:

Though the crew of Soliture genuinely tried to make the crew and passenger of the Maiden feel at home, they found they slept better aboard their ship. In addition, that's where they spent the majority of this welcome down time, playing holochess or sabacc in the lounge. Thus there was a small amount of groaning and eye rolling when they heard the unmistakable clank of someone rapping on the hull.

"Allright, we hear ya!", someone muttered, hitting the ramp release, "They don't know how much this paint job cost!"

In from the landing bay came a young woman wearing a tech's coverall. When she had everyone's attention she announced, "The Major requests the presence of the crew and passengers of the Moonlight Maiden in briefing room 5A at 1730 this evening. Any questions?"

As it was a fairly simple message, there were no questions, so the tech turns and leaves, adding, "Sorry to have to disturb you." She leaves without further comment, and only one half-glance back at Remy before she heads off on some other errand.

"Ah, no rest for the wicked, eh?", one sarcastically asks the others.

"The talented either", another opines.

((OOC: Same as the 'Old Guard'.))

boccelounge
17 November 2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by coldskier0320
Though the crew of Soliture genuinely tried to make the crew and passenger of the Maiden feel at home, they found they slept better aboard their ship. In addition, that's where they spent the majority of this welcome down time, playing holochess or sabacc in the lounge. Thus there was a small amount of groaning and eye rolling when they heard the unmistakable clank of someone rapping on the hull.
Captain Koss looks up from the holochess game at this sudden disturbance. He bolts upright, and stomps down the ship's short gangplank. He throws his hands in the air, in an expression of exagerated alarm.
KOSS: What is this rapping?! There is no rapping on the Moonlight Maiden!!!


Originally posted by coldskier0320
In from the landing bay came a young woman wearing a tech's coverall. When she had everyone's attention she announced, "The Major requests the presence of the crew and passengers of the Moonlight Maiden in briefing room 5A at 1730 this evening. Any questions?"
Seeing the visitor, the swarthy Sullustan's attitude shifts immediately. He drops to a deep and formal bow.
KOSS: If seeing this Major will please you, my dear lady, then I shall be double-- no, triply-- pleased to comply!
He bows again, for some reason.



Originally posted by coldskier0320
As it was a fairly simple message, there were no questions, so the tech turns and leaves, adding, "Sorry to have to disturb you." She leaves without further comment, and only one half-glance back at Remy before she heads off on some other errand.
Koss sighs dramatically as the young woman walks off.
KOSS: Ah, she is as impassive as she impressive... what a sweet and thorny nut to crack!
No one, possibly including Koss, is quite sure what this mixed metaphor means.



Originally posted by coldskier0320
"Ah, no rest for the wicked, eh?", one sarcastically asks the others.

"The talented either", another opines.
Snapping out of his reverie, Koss replies to his companions.
KOSS: Well, as I am both: I appreciate your heartfelt sympathy! But I remind you: we three must all attend upon the designated officer at the designated time! One's Fate shall be All's! And One's!
Koss storms off to his cramped cabin. He is overheard trying to write a poem, in elegiac couplets... this takes up most of his afternoon. Apparently, his progress is stymied when he can't find a rhyme for "apopemptic."

He's ready for the evening meeting, and accompanies Kell and Remy to the briefing room.

Rostek
17 November 2005, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by boccelounge

What is this rapping?! There is no rapping on the Moonlight Maiden!!!

Kell rolled his eyes. "Allright, we hear ya!", he muttered, leaning back in his chair and hitting the ramp release, "They don't know how much this paint job cost!" he added grumpily, annoyed that the rapper had ruined his enjoyment of Remy and Koss' holochess game. Add competition to this group is a recipe for a very long evening- something which Kell had looked forward to. We probably won't even get to my turn in the round robin now...
"Some people just have no respect for our recreation time. It's as if we're part of a para-military taskforce or something." the Alderaanian said more audibly.


In from the landing bay came a young woman wearing a tech's coverall. When she had everyone's attention she announced, "The Major requests the presence of the crew and passengers of the Moonlight Maiden in briefing room 5A at 1730 this evening. Any questions?"

KOSS: If seeing this Major will please you, my dear lady, then I shall be double-- no, triply-- pleased to comply!

He bows again, for some reason.

Kell, for what seemed to be like the thousanth time, had to stifle a facial tic.
"Ah, no rest for the wicked, eh?", he laments with a sardonic half-smile, tossing a look at Remy to catch his reaction to their titular pilot.
I swear- if he weren't as good as he says he is, I'd toss him out the airlock to save my sanity he thought, shaking his head.
As Koss storms off, Kell shifts his position to the Sullustan's former chair. "I suppose that's a forfeit on his part. We've still got time for a few games, even using military rules... shall we continue then, or do you wish to work on your own compositions?" he asked, wincing as he heard Koss shout a maddened babble of spontaineously created verse at the top of his lungs.
"At least he's using that energy creatively..." Kell mutters.

Ris
20 November 2005, 03:13 PM
Wynn was only too happy to get back out of the cramped spaces inside the fighter. How techs with way more than a foot of height & 50 lbs on her managed to keep from getting stuck, she'd never been able to figure out. But it was also satisfying, she thought as she returned the welder to it's place. Her mother had mentioned that there were once cultures where the warriors' rites de passage included crafting their own personal weapon--and the X-wing was Wynn's chosen weapon. Mother would be pleased then, that I'm doing this myself, rather than relaxing on a pillow in the corner while the techs do all the dirty work. She never held with that. But Wynn only told "her" crew, "Well, that's one more major thing off the To-Do List. You are the best! Thank you. I'll be buying all of you a few rounds to celebrate tomorrow night, it looks like."
A Solitude Ishi Tib tech grinned up at her. "Rounds of what, Ma'am? Tapani-style virgin sodas with cream? 'Bout all the good stuff was drank at The Party--but you'll remember that?"
Wynn felt her already heat-flushed face redden a little more. Thier arrival celebration had, alas, given the high-born pilot a reputation as something of a Party-Girl. But Wynn concealed her dismay at yet another good-natured dig and smiled back. "I seriously doubt that the bar's now dry, but if it is, I'll set up a tab. Right now I need to check up on a couple other things, so take a long breather." Wynn felt lucky, she hadn't had problems getting parts for her personal starfighter. Vooko had told her that could happen, if you didn't have a special dispensation on record. But Wynn hadn't had that problem, even though some of her records and stuff hadn't caught up with her. I bet Comm. Alkan or Gossipy Goldie told someone who I was.

After cleaning up a little, Wynn detoured to Medical, to see if she could prise Vooko out of Doc Goldie & Company's clutches for a while. She well remembered how she'd hated being stuck in Medbay while recovering from the injuries sustained when her fighter was damaged;but she'd needed to be there & knew it. Besides, she was starting to get worried over all the time they were spending on her wingman. I know Goldie says its "strictly educational" but maybe they found something. A muscle pull or sprain from uncompensated cockpit Gee's can't be that different from one gotten sparring or playing grav-ball, after all? Lt. Antilles also wanted the younger pilot to help her with the inertial compensator they were ready to install on her snub. She wanted her friend's take on whether 0.98 might might work for her. Wynn couldn't tolerate the 0.95 setting so many hot pilots swore by--all it did was make her sick as a Hutt's food-taster, almost as bad as she'd felt the day after That Party.
Goldie greeted Wynn warmly, and took advantage of the woman's arrival to give Vooko a short respite while she gave the less-experienced medics an impromptu lecture on skull injuires, one of the Bothan surgeon's specialties. Although Wynn consented to let Goldie show where her head had been cracked & why, and then described the headaches that plagued her recovery, the Alderaanian lieutenant refused to be another test-rodent. Wynn liked Doc Goldie & appreciated her treating the hangover--but not to the extent of becoming a second test-rodent. The prescription had worked--but Wynn never wanted a medic to tell her "Roll over" again.

That night, Wynn didn't tumble into her bunk and fall asleep right away, as she'd done after all those other long stretches restoring her X-wing. Instead she flipped through some datapads and holos--and not, tonight, schematics and tech references. These--and a bit of jewelry and clothing--were the only mementos she had of Aldaraan.
Some family holos. Her and Trevor at play as kids. Funny, she'd never noticed that Leia and Winter were also in that one before. Grandparents. Other family friends, like Lord Leto Janus, the royal surgeon. A formal portrait taken when she'd been about 16. It had been made just before a Life Fete ball. Wynn was wearing a gown like her mother's, loose-cut, in a translucent fabric, like many Alderaan gowns. She lingered longest, tears prickling her eyes, over one of her as a little girl, with Raymus Antilles. At that age, her red-gold hair was more red than gold, although the reverse was true now.
It had been taken on Tantive IV and her dad was wearing the old-style Alderaan livery, blue-grey with the elliptical tabard. Wynn was wearing the long, heavy cloak that completed a high-ranking officer's uniform. That was a shakedown cruise after some upgrades. Her dad had sat her in his own bridge seat, and had her repeat the commands to leave orbit that he'd whispered in her ear. Somehow, losing her father was the worst of the losses, though they'd all hurt--badly--and still did.

Maybe it's just easier to think about losing one person than everyone, Wynn Antilles mused. I never asked the Minders why, never saw them at all--and they were too busy helping survivors who seemed more traumatized, or didn't have friends able to help them through it. My wingman, Guay Tel, and the rest of the squadron were all I needed. My CO kept me busy with duties, & told the Minders I was fine, Guay made sure he or another pilot was there when I wasn't so fine.
Wynn recalled the last time she'd seen her father, on his beloved Tantive IV. Cinowyn Antilles was only 17, and newly sworn to the Alliance in the person of her kinsman Viceroy Bail Organa. Capt. Antilles wore the newer, beige uniform, less formal-looking. She was in the green dress she'd worn several times on Eden, supposed to be going for an off-world semester, on a world near one of the planets Princess Leia was visiting officially. But she would end up somewhere else. Over a private meal in the Captain's stateroom father and daughter had said their good-byes. And Raymus had an offer. "You could serve the Alliance here. The Viceroy has given me a commission for you as a junior officer on the Tantive. If you want it, by next watch you'll have uniform and quarters and be assigned to Astrogation. You seemed eager enough to fly my ship when you were 8," he grinned, sharing with this younger Wynn the memory frozen in a holo. But Wynn was too eager now to fly a fighter--and Capt. Antilles, like any good father, had let her go to take her own path, telling her he loved her, was proud of her, knew she'd make him & her mother even prouder. Had we known we'd never see each other again, would we have said more, hugged harder?

He'd also had one more thing for her--a datapad with textdocs on the purchase, transport, and ownership transfers of a certain small in-system transport, a custom sport-skiff named Star Dancer. Just the kind of vessel weathy, doting parents often purchased for teenage offspring. Star Dancer had been the last present Lady Cinowyn's parents, Captain Raymus and Lady RiSanne Antilles had given her, an early 18th birthday gift. The marketing suggested they not only looked like racing-skiffs Vooko had flown, but handled like them. Having already piloted several friends' sport-skiffs, Wynn, even at 17, doubted that. If racing-skiffs handled & accellerated like her pals' toys, then they could be beaten by the remote-control models she collected. But Star Dancer wasn't at all like the other "sporties."
It wasn't even a sportie--it was a prototype modified T-65 that Incom had opted not to put into production. At that point in the Rebellion, the High Command was focusing on just getting more of the basic snubs built and pilots trained. But arrangements had been made, through intermediaries, to buy this prototype and get it flight-ready. The Alliance hadn't objected--after all, they not only got the prototype for free, but it freed up a second snub, that Wynn would otherwise have been assigned. Alderaanian courtiers wouldn't be buying a fighter, hence, the designation as a sport-skiff. Wynn, to the amusement of the other Shooting Stars, had named the snub with the angled wings for the fictional ship on the docs. Wynn smiled through more tears at the schematics patient Razzle--another gift--was projecting of those wings, which had been altered recently from the original prototype specs.

Only a couple short months later, she was called to her CO's office at Yavin Base. Wynn had been out-of-sorts for several days, long enough for it to affect her scores badly. Guay had suggested that the usually tolerant Cory Redsun had "gotten his fill of your abyssmal scores and worse moods & is gonna do a major attitude adjustment." But a dressing down was preferrable to what he told her. "I'm sorry...Tantive IV was lost with all hands...tragic accident, according to the Imperial Navy...Alliance Intel has no reason to doubt that your father & the others are dead...don't believe for a nanosec that it was accidental...Viceroy Organa sends his..."
Wynn didn't have a change to gasp "No!" before another squadron CO had barged into Cory's office, yelling that Alderaan had been destroyed. The next days were a blur of grief and frantic action. Being woken from a screaming nightmares by Guay or another squadronmate...preparing fighters and gear for a possible evac...her cousin Leia's unexpected return...sobbing angrily because the Stars was considered a trainee squadron & thus not good enough to be involved in any part of the desperation attack on the Death Star...standing in ranks watching the honors done to the Heroes of Yavin...the very short talk with her cousin before Yavin was abandoned, after someone--Redsun or Dodonna, perhaps--had told the Princess she was there. Soon after Yavin, Wynn had repainted both helmet and snub in colors and designs that strongly suggested those used for Aldaraan service at the end of the Republic and the beginning of the accursed New Order. Tomorrow Razzle would oversee, as he had then, a restored Star Dancer being painted the same.

Even though it was four years ago, the loss of her dad and then the rest of her family & even their homeworld still hurt. Vooko can't know how truly he spoke when he told me it wasn't a long time--and I hope he never understands exactly. I've got to tell him and Kelvin, that if they ever need help getting word to their Family, they'll have mine. Or if they need help with anything more.

*********
24 hours Later...
Wynn surveyed her newly-restored snubfighter with satisfaction. Today, the sadness she'd felt the night before was gone. It was replaced by gratitude that she'd had such wonderful parents and the sure knowledge that they were proud of her, wherever that Final Jump had taken them. That was the usual pattern.

Now however, the "repair crew" is interrupted, as a junior tech walks up to the group.
"Lieutenant Antilles?", the young girl asks. Upon being recognized, she continues, "Major Tumb would like you to report to briefing room 5A at 1730 this evening."
Wynn nodded, "Yes, we will be there." As the girl leaves, Wynn tells her companions, "Sounds like the Alliance might be putting us to work again. Guess I should buy that round of drinks later tonight, rather than tomorrow? I'm sure Kel can find what's left that's good to drink. I'll provide the purse to get it--but don't expect much of a Finder's Fee beyond your share, Kelvin," she smiled. "Well, let's finish this up in the next hour or two so we have some downtime before the briefing. Vooko, does Neckbreaker need any more tweaking or is she good to go?" After all the work they'd done yesterday & earlier today, Star Dancer was ready as soon as the paint dried. "If it is another mission,Vook, I'm going to insist on enough time to take a shakedown flight or 2 in our snubbies." She points out the messenger, now leaving Maiden. "See how she keeps looking back at that old Phoenix? Bet you credits to Chandrillan crullers, she's wishing that one guy would've noticed her." After a chuckle, Wynn told her impromptu "flight," "Kel, Vook--you'll be joining me at the briefing, of course."
****
After another couple hours of touch-up, diagnostics, and tweaking on her starfighter, Wynn takes off to clean up for the meeting. Just before 1730, she arrives outside 5A to meet her friends. Wynn is wearing a neat uniform with her X-pilot wings, rank pips and decorations. The almost shoulder-length copper-blonde hair is in a neat knot at the nape of her neck. Her datapad and stylus are in a pocket.

Ris
20 November 2005, 04:14 PM
<sigh>

Donovan Morningfire
29 November 2005, 02:12 PM
In from the landing bay came a young woman wearing a tech's coverall.

When she had everyone's attention she announced, "The Major requests the presence of the crew and passengers of the Moonlight Maiden in briefing room 5A at 1730 this evening. Any questions?"


Remy quietly smirked. About time they have something for us to do. If all the downtime continued, I might just have to invent some trouble. It had been fine the first few days lounging on the Sullustan's ship and acing his fellow passengers at sabacc, but it one could only play Senate Rules before getting tired of it.


Kell, for what seemed to be like the thousanth time, had to stifle a facial tic.
"Ah, no rest for the wicked, eh?", he laments with a sardonic half-smile, tossing a look at Remy to catch his reaction to their titular pilot.

"The talented either," Remy replied. The self-proclaimed Captain Koss was a bit of grand-stander, but he didn't mind. It was the glory hounds and spotlight hoggers that made his line of work that much easier. After all, if the right hand is making elaborate gestures, it's that much harder to notice the left hand lifting your credit pouch. "I'll catch you lot at the briefing," he said, waving them off as they headed back into the ship. He thought that he heard Kell mutter some invictive as Koss spouted off yet again.

Been a while since I stretched my legs in a place like this, Remy thought darkly. Of course, the last time he'd been kept in any one place, it wasn't as an invited guest. Just another chapter in a very interesting life. He checked his wrist-chrono, and saw that he had another couple of hours to kill before the briefing. I wonder if there's any new marks? he mused to himself, but quicky thought better of it. He doubted such things would do little to endear him to the brass.

He looked up as a tech passed by, noticing that he'd wandered over towards one of the fighter bays. The snub fighter was an X-wing, and from the looks of it the pilot had put a lot of personal touches on it. He raked through his memories of the local gossip, trying to piece who the ship belonged to, but came up blank. Didn't really matter who was flying it. Unwanted memories of the last time he'd strapped into a snub-fighter came drifting back.

"Not in this lifetime," the scoundrel groused to himself. It was a good sign that after those thoughts his first instinct wasn't to grab the closest thing this place had to good, strong drink. That was a lifetime ago, and another chapter of his life he'd long since closed the book on.

He spotted a rather cute little package working on the snubbie. She must have been pretty involved in her work, he noted, as she remained oblivious to his presence. The hair was an interesting shade, he thought. Not to many women could pull of a red and gold mix, but for her it worked.

Best to leave her to her work, Remy concluded. Don't want to get her in trouble with whatever hot-shot jockey that ship belongs to.

After walking everywhere in the base he had clearance to get to, Remy finally wound his way towards Briefing Room 5A a few minutes before the briefing was to start. He's mildly surprised to see the cute redhead now wearing an fighter pilot's get up, looking like she's ready for a field review. If he were the self-conscious type, Remy might be concerned about the scruff of his clothes compared to the neat-and-trim attire of the fighter jock. But being self-conscious was something a man in his line of work quickly learned to get over.

Deciding he didn't quite want to be part of the crowd, Remy stood off to the side, leaning against the wall, waiting for the briefing room doors to open. For the start of a grand adventure, I guess this beats all of us meeting in a bar, he mused, a wry grin coming to his features.

Ris
1 December 2005, 09:44 AM
Wynn looked over the man who leaned so casually near the doors. Before she left the repair bay, the tech who'd notified them of the briefing had told her the guy had been watching her work. "If you hadn't been so busy, you could've gotten yourself a hot date, easy," the woman had told her with a sigh of envy. Wynn had only smiled, adding "Just my luck," before heading on her way.
He was good looking, with the long blond hair & hieght, but not quite to Wynn's taste. The high cheekbines some of the other women raved about, just made his face look a little too gaunt or ascetic. Wynn wasn't concerned about looks, not when it appeared he would be involved in whatever she was doing next. He didn't look untrustworthy, just standoff-ish. She'd just have to reserve judgment, but nothing would be gained by refusing to notice him. "Hello, I'm Cinowyn Antilles. I haven't had a chance to meet you before now..." Wynn waited for him to supply a name.

Vanger Chevane
1 December 2005, 07:48 PM
As they shoved something cold against his body for the Nth time, he fought to keep his temper, but couldn't refrain from comment.

"Have you ever thought about heating those up to something approaching a comfortable temp before prodding someone with them?" The inexperienced MedTech, one of the small herd we was Victim du Jour of during this improvised Training Day lied

"They are." "Get em from SoroSuub?" With a disgusted look on his face "No, good ones from Fabritech."

Bored and annoyed almost to his limit Maybe they're testing that too...
Then aren't I a little tall for a Sullustan?

The Medtech shrugs as if Vooko was swearing at him, but one or two giggles in the crowd told him that someone got the joke.

Then he heard Wynn calling "Hey, the Alliance doesn't condone torture--especially of it's own heroes!...So what's the diagnosis, Vooko? Terminal boredom, or acute desperation?" "Umm...yes?" was his grumpy reply.

The Bothan Doctor greeted Wynn with "Ah, come over here my dear." and immediately launched into a dissertation on Cranial Trauma as the medtechs crowded around them. Totally forgotten, Vooko used the distraction to quietly gather up his boots and pad out despite the cold decking biting into his bare feet.


Once in the Turbolift he pulled out two legths of fine, super-comfortable cloth, wrapped his feet, and shoved em into his boots. Some crewer in the lift commented "Shame to waste good cloth like that." Arriving at his destination, Vooko tossed over his shoulder "Cheaper than your socks."

He found his way to Observation tower 24-B without much difficulty. Kelvin had told him about it, and his directions were normally quite precise. Savoring the peaceful solitude along with the view Vooko lost track of time until his stomach reminded him. Later he checked Logs and Dispatches (what passed for local news out here at Almost Forgotten). After a quick search trough the Regulations Database, he packaged together a request and sent it through the base messaging system to the one Droid he could trust to get it just right, Razzle.


As he and Kelvin were relaxing just before bed, the door chime sounded. Answering it, Vooko takes a duraplast-backed sheet of Flimsiplast and a woven strip of white cloth with red embroidered edges, and small metal bar from the purple-and-white Astromech with the unusual gold-plated dome. "Thank you." Razzle tootled a cheery "Be-Doop.", turned and trundled down the hall to do whatever it was ever-helpful little droids did with their time off. Hope Wynn doesn't mind.

Kelvin, practically hovering over his shoulder, "What's this?" Shown the stylized, yet easily recognizable cutout-template of an ISD, Kelvin's reaction is "Isn't that a bit small?" "It's roughly the same size as the rest of the markers. One to-scale would be bigger than the hull, as well as an irresistable invitation for every hotshot bubble-boy and his greedy wingman to come blow me up." "Mmmm. And the other stuff?" "High Command figures if you're stupid or insane enough to take on a Heavy Cap, and have a big enough Barrel O'Luck to survive it, they want you tagged for Observation."

Kelvin, always a merry soul, laughed heartily. "Another party then? We're gonna have some great stories to tell when we get home." "Gotta survive long enough to tell them. After last time, I'm bout partied out for a while." Sobered a bit by the implied lengthy and hazardous journey home for them, Kelvin sits on his bed "Better turn in then, no telling if we'll need it tomorrow."

After the lights are out, "Vooko?" "Yeah?" "I like your boss, she's feisty." Vooko almost reflexively flung one of his pillows off into the darkess, and judging from the muffled laughter from across the room connected solidly.


The next day he started doing final inspections and fittings on his snub early on. Giving the hull a rub with his hand We've been through some really rough runs in a short amount of time, but she's always come through when I needed it. Wouldn't do to have something going wonky now I've the time to take care of her.

The forward sweep of the S-Foils on Wynn's X(W?)-Wing seemed strangely familiar, the full thought just elusively out of reach in the back of his mind...

Touching up the template-sprayed ImpStar Silhouette that was the last job on a long list for his Neckbreaker, he heard behind him an irate shout ""How dare you abandon me to those Lumrunners!! You owe me big time--but i guess I'll let you off since you're now a Major Hero--hey, there's the proof even! When did you get that bar?" "I had to break when you gave me cover or I'd probly still be their guest. Checked dispatches last night. Special citation for dragging down a Heavy Capship, and an ImpStar is definitely at the easy end of that scale. You might wanna check the regs, might be something for the Assist."

"Ironic choice of color though." "Oh?" "Oyah. When the Avenger grabbed me, I was scared bout this white." Wynn couldn't keep from giggling. Glancing over at the small crowd of techs apparently stumped by something in her ship, "C'mon, I'll help ya with yours. We should get over there before you find you're the dubious owner of an Ithorian Massage Command Chair with built-in Caf Distiller."


Seeing the underside of one foil had been removed showing some odd bars spaced at what appeared to be random intervals along its length, "What's this?" One of the techs answered "They're a liquid metal stabilized with piezoelectric crystals" Vooko replied "Must be combo dampers. See here? The brackets aren't part of the electrical connection, as if they're only for shipping purposes and need to be removed before flight." Kelvin, throughly confused, asked "Could you translate the Gibberish into Basic?"

"Sure. Basically a super-performance spring that'll give off small electrical signals, or vibrate predictably when a stronger one is applied. Those floofy tufts you put on your bow act as a passive damper, the tendrils vibrating instead of the string once you've fired. These are built to not only provide data on passive performance to a computer, but be stimulated by one to offset the vibrations the forward-sweep is well known for."

The Baragwin spoke up "But they've been installed in the wrong order and we can't figure it out. Yesterday we simmed atmos with a pressor field and tore one of the struts out on opening." "Sounds oddly familiar." His gaze unfocus as he attempts to wrangle the annoyingly errant thought.

Tapping idly on the foil, Vooko accidentally found one spot that was oddly resonant, sounding like a small drum rather than slab of armor plate. The odd familiarity of the design and sound spurred somthing in the back of his mind, his eyes unfocused as he chased the errant thought. Tok...tok...tok...tok...

Without warning he softly sang out Bok! Bazzz-Frit-Nurrrg-Oohsss-Tammm-T'k. Dreek-Saam-Voot-Chay-Rool-Zneet. To Wynn's ear it sounded quite melodic, but she couldn't recognize the language. "What is that? It's lovely, but I don't understand a word. The metre is vaguely familiar. Is it Ode to a Snub? This set Vooko to grinning very mischevously "It's Rodian Opera."

Frowning, the Baragwin tech, whose delicate touch defied their large, thick build looked across the foil at Vooko and said "That has to be the worst rendition of Vorg Rasch Noolakt I've ever heard." With suppressed laughter in his voice he replied to the Baragwin, "Probly, but I'm pretty sure I have the layout." Lining up the rods following the sequence in his mind, "Lets drop em in and find out."

Wynn, taken aback, "But it sounded good." "Not if you're Rodian. Most of them think Chesvyn's Distant Dreamer is appalling." Recalling fondly the song her father used to croon her to sleep with when she was little, Wynn blurted out a shocked "That's impossible!" The Baragwin took over, "The tempo of the lyrics changes significantly when translated. It and the melody go together like Mulak'kit and Novruum." Familiar with both the crunchy, spicy Twi'Lek fungus and the slippery, cloyingly sweet Sullustan dessert, her stomach roiled in disgust.

When she got control of her gut, Wynn glared at her wing & the Baragwin, grumbling, "Everyone's a music professor!" Abruptly, she snatched the static-fluxmeter and turned back to the snub, before there was any chance of them seeing the sudden tears. Wynn stabbed the probe viciously into the energy field, as if the shield were at fault. "Razzle, re-do the diagnostics--there's still too much fluctuation!"


Another tech spoke up, "I see how the numbers stamped on the bottoms relate to the words, but aren't they mixed up?" The Baragwin saved Vooko from a long explanation. "Not if you recall that stanza is sung in counterpoint, the second line only a half-step away from the first."

Once the rods were all in place & the ends left free to vibrate, Vooko checked the panel he'd tapped earlier. This time there was only a solid thud. "Sounds good to test." After the test came out beautifully smooth, and they were advised of the briefing, one of the techs asked "How did you know which order they go in?" "Took a while for things to connect, but it's a simple mnemonic. Provided you know the Engineer who designed the system and his favorite opera."

Kelvin chimed in "So that's why Ruuvi was always humming that annoying thing." Looking over to Wynn "You really should have gotten the optional Caf Distiller. Ruuvi could take a greasy-digit distiller and have a gourmand weeping for more."


On his way to the briefing, Vooko checks his uniform to make sure everything's in place, and the new gold bar hanging off the bottom of his Pilot's Wings - delicately & precisely engraved with ISD Avenger and the appropriate Republic Calendar date gleams brightly. Grinning slightly he reminds himself Don't get cocky, somewhere out there is someone whose Big Game Bar reads Death Star.

Ris
2 December 2005, 07:30 PM
"...Special citation for dragging down a Heavy Capship, and an ImpStar is definitely at the easy end of that scale." I'd guess that was what Razz was up to last night while I was, ah, looking over some stuff?" Wynn gave him a bright smile to show that she wasn't annoyed. In fact, she was pleased that Vooko thought so much of her droid pal.


"You might wanna check the regs, might be something for the Assist." So he still thinks that's all I care about? Well, I suppose it's understandable after that stupid remark before the party. Yeah, I'm bugged I was transferred out of the Stars for no good reason, when I was where I wanted & had good chances, but not an excuse for acting that way. The Aldaraan pilot shrugged. "If there is something in the regs that applies, the datapad-jocks will find it soon enough," she told him. "I can wait." I don't think I did much assisting, anyways. And Wynn really didn't care much about the citations she'd already received. She'd got them fighting for what was right and just, for a cause her parents and her sovereign--her homeworld!--had died for. Nothing like holding your dad's posthumous citation & hoping you can keep from bawling over it--at least 'til you're somewhere you can't be heard--to teach you perspective about medals.


"We should get over there before you find you're the dubious owner of an Ithorian Massage Command Chair with built-in Caf Distiller." The joke eases the momentary melancholy. "Wouldn't it be the chair that was dubious? I'd love to have my seat rigged for massage, though--be great on long hyperspace jumps. Can you help me install one?"


"Took a while for things to connect, but it's a simple mnemonic. Provided you know the Engineer who designed the system and his favorite opera." Kelvin chimed in "So that's why Ruuvi was always humming that annoying thing." Wynn had been ignoring the continued talk about the opera, but the comments about an engineer named Ruuvi got her attention. "What do you 2 know about this Ruuvi?" she asked. "There was no Ruuvi on the Incom design team for this prototype--and I don't need Razzle to bring up the specs to know that Star Dancer's S-foils have been altered since the last time I flew her." Her tone holds only curiosity, and the way one hand caresses the nearest foil shows she's pleased with the foils' new configuration.
"Ruuvi is a Filght Engineer, Caf Aficiando Supreme, Mentor, and Chief Designer of a confirmed capship-killing snub," Vooko informs her with a big grin.
"And above all, someone very dear to you--both of you," she says warmly.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
4 December 2005, 01:41 AM
Kelvin stirred somewheres shy of noon. His head was still in a haze... Ironically, a tune was stuck in his head, one not soo different than what was last night -

Could've been the whiskey
Might've been the gin
Could've been the three or four six-packs,
I don't know, but look at the mess I'm in
My head is like a football
I think I'm going to die
Tell me, me oh, me oh my
Wasn't that a party

He was still a bit buzzed from the night before. He probably layed there for half an hour, waking up. Yup, that was a party! Kelvin grinned to himself as he groggily dragged himself out of bed, pulled on a few cloths and headed out the suit. Kelvin first made his way down to the doc Goldie's office to get something for the 'buzz' that still lingered. Few minutes later, Kelvin's stomach rumble was excuse enough to releive him to the mess hall. Glancing at the wall chronometer, it was quarter-to. Maybe with luck he'd Catch Tia there yet and join her for the remainder of the lunch hour.

Well, he caught Tia, as she was dumping her tray contents by the door. "Hi!" Kelvin beamed

"Hi." Tia replied, half smile, placing her tray on the stack.

"Hey, still got fifteen minutes before the dinner menu closes. Care to join me?"

"I Just ate Kel"

Shrugging, "Yeah, but still got room for another cup of caf at least? half cup? quarter even?" Kelvin tried hopefully.

"Nope." Tia shook her head

"So, hour's not up yet. Still can yammer or something for a few, right?"

"Yammer or... something?" Tia asked puzzled, then she blushed, then made one of those girly gasp sounds.

"Well, I suppose we could do that too, now that you mention it..." Eyebrow raised, Kelvin grinned mischeviously

"Kel!" Tia exclaimed wide-eyed, clearly embarased for jumping to the wrong assumption, then covered her mouth from the outburst, looking around quickly. Few people walked by, merely a glance of curious interest, nothing more.

Sheepishly, "You suggested it, not- Ow!" Kell yelped from a playful jab to the arm, only managing to draw just slightly more attention from a few seated onlookers.

Tia grabbed and pulled Kel out from the doorway, to a blind spot behind the door frame, least out of view from the curious onlookers, "Wha- hey, now who's the friskey one h- Ow!" Kel finished as she pushed his backside to the wall. Mabye a tad more force than intented.

Tia's eyebrows slightly furrowed, "Kell!" she lightly scolded in hushed tones.

Raising a hand to the backside of his head, to rub it, "So, what do you wanna do for the next - thirteen minutes give or take? You do wanna spend a few minutes right?"

Apologetic - slightly, "Sorry-" with a wince and sorry look, placing a hand on his chest, sighing "I gotta go Kel. I've got an afternoon's worth of work ahead of me, wanted to get to an early start. Another time Kel?"

Half smiling in defeat, "Yeah... I Suppose. Hey, I was gonna go up to the tower again. When your shift's done, wanna join me then? Call me before your done, I'll grab some food and y'know, go back up there. It'd be like dinner under the stars. No bonfire but under the stars litterally!"

"I'd like that...." A pained expression on her face "I'll try. Yo know how some tech shifts can be right?" she shrugged fleetingly

"Yeah..." Kelvin sighed, he kinda knew, from past his moms' and uncles bent or crawled under engine hoods.

Tia reached up and gave a tiny peck on his cheek then hurried off to her shift. Kelvin was left standing backside against the wall. He stood there for the next few moments, then decided to hit the cafeteria, grab something to eat or what was left of it.

Sitting under the transparisteel dome in tower 24-B, sipping a hot de-caff (all that was left, a herbal tea blend, quite flavorfull, and aromatic actually), a half eaten lunch, sat unwrapped beside him. Kel simply starred out at the stars. Black expanse and white specs all around him, as he sat within this bubble. It was completely peacefull, Kel had to appreciate that. Just him and his thoughts all to himself as he idley snacked on his 'take-out' meal. Only thing was missing was the freshness of outdoor air, preferably a slight breeze too. And Tia. He imagined her fragrence from the night before as they had sat next to each other at the table, the occasional lean-into him as they shared the spirits with tales from days of yore.

Yawning, he pulled out a datapad and blank card that he nabbed from a supply locker on the way over to the tower. He also pulled out his comlink, making sure it was on and set it aside. Removing his vest, he rolled it up to a makeshift pillow and stretched out flat. The view was even more entrancing, as there was just something about laying flat and gazing upwards. The stars drifted ever so slowly, even more surreal than on a planet with a clear night sky. Datapad back in hand, he settled in for something he had been putting off for quite a long time now. Now's good as time as ever. Flicking the switch, the datapad came to life. For the better part of several hours countless tries, starts and rewrites until the following was finally ecked out:


Dear Mom & Mom,
Hi, its Kelvin. Where to begin? Well, sorry for starters I suppose. Please, I hope you both weren't mad at Crix for running of to the Rebelion. It was my choice, something I felt I had to do. To go try and make a difference. Vookoo was leaving anyways - to save the Neckbreaker. The trip to Nar Shadda was just fine too. On the way back home, Crix was nice enough to drop me off at a shelter that was a Rebel recruiting place. Spent a while there and then we were shuttled off to this wilderness planet that I still can't name due to security and open holonet messaging. Lovely planet, large forests just like outback at Uncle Hlarret's farm. Weren't it not one large training ground, I could've swore it was more like camp. Had a great time there, reminded me of home. We weren't allowed to make any outgoing calls or messages, for everyone's safety should the Imps locate us. Our supplies were delivered by transport once a month too, guys and freighters much like Crix's operation. I made a friend there too, Alaira. I think you would have liked her, kinda mousy, shy and into gadgets. Interestingly, it was Crix who came to pick us all up and drop us off at various Rebelion sites. She wasn't in the same roster as I. Neither of us spoke it, but I think we both knew it'd be a longshot at best we'd ever meet up again. I wonder how she's faring today?

Well, that was quite a few months ago. Next destination was at a nice little paradise spot, a facility and hanger. And guess what? Vookoo was there! Yeah, he in the Neckbreaker and a friend of his escorted our frieghter back to the planet. The ride kinda sucked though, the pilot and co-pilot a pair of Farghul twins were.. well, wonder where the Rebelion even got these two, much less tolerate them. There was a Gungan with me from Cor-sec as well. No mom, I wasn't in trouble, he was being transfered to the same place I was. Those Gungans, they talk awkward, and are an interesting species though.

It was a nice awkward little re-union, Vookoo's flight officer is cute too, the one that flew with him as our escort. There was this crew cheif there too, her name's Tia. She's really great, yeah, didn't get off to the best start but after that it was good, maybe even something alot more. Few days later, the base was under attack, somehow the Imperials found out. Must've been those two Farghuls, something just didn't seem right about them, Y'know? Anyways, We all made it out fine, just barely. Few bumps and bruises, and an obstacle run through the base corridors as the place was burning and falling down all around us. Just like in one of those Action Holos. Y'know?

Anyways, I got to fly a Y-wing for the very first time, and boy, it's nothing like a speederbike! It was one thing to get it off the ground and out of the burning hanger, and entirely another thing to fly it! Maybe the Gungan should've flown, though a minute longer and I would have had to go on my own. There wasn't much time to unbuckle and jump to the seat behind. The astromech finally got fed up with me, beleive it or not. And he took over flight for the rest of the way including hyper-jump. Then again, droids never did seem to like me too much, or maybe I just hadn't found the right type yet. And out in space, there was one of those Star Destroyers we've heard about. The news holos weren't kidding, those things are huge! I'll bet it wasn't even doing much for the base to get pummeled like that. And guess what? Vook had this warhead on the Neckbreaker and got to lob a shot at it!

Arriving to this new place was ok of a ride, the Gungan was silent for most of it. The Techs sure had a fit when we landed, I didn't think I handled the craft that badly. I think thats the last time i'll try pilot anything like that again. Yeah, we all arrived safely. Vook got a bit banged up, getting away from that Star Destroyer, but guess what? Vook got awarded a Kill-shot for it! Vook's doing alright, the medstaff here is not bad. No, it's nothin serious, I think we were in far worse from goofing off back on the farm. Oh yeah, and last night there was a stationwide party down in one of the hangers. Only thing missing was you both, the team and a race trophy.

Well, I guess this is about it for now. Will try write more if I can. Never know when we'll be sent off somewheres on the next mission, where it'll be, what it'll be, or how long. Don't worry, I'll be fine. I've been doing alright sofar, survived that unexpected attack with little more than a scratch. Hmm, it's early evening already. I'm in this neat observation tower, got it all to myself right now. Waiting for Tia's comm, supposed to grab some supper and come back here to eat it. Hope her shift is done soon.

Kelvin.

The letter finished, Kelvin set the datapad down, and resumed starring up at the stars, like many a night back at training camp. And as many a nights, he eventually nodded off soundlessly. Vookoo dropped by, waking Kelvin from his nap, and they both shared some quiet time, just the two of them. Was just like old times, durring the racing off-seasons back at the farm, or equally aboard the team transport, both in their bunks, glancing out the viewport.

Later that evening, both grabbed some supper and retired to their shared quarters. Wynn's astromech delivered Vook a little package with the ISD template cuts. A bit of banter and sugestion of another party and it was time for lights out. Remembering a bit earlier from the personal typed message, Kelvin couldn't help comment about Vook's boss, which in turn a thrown pillow from Vook, which Kelvin laughed and return the favor. Yup, despite everything , little changed from since back when, before the Rebel enlistments.

****
Next day was off to a fresh start. Kelvin helped Vookoo and Wynn in the hanger with their fighter maintenance. Wynn's was just about done, and going over the Neckbreaker with Vookoo was almost a time honored tradition, after all the time they spent getting it built.


"How dare you abandon me to those Lumrunners!! You owe me big time--but i guess I'll let you off since you're now a Major Hero--hey, there's the proof even! When did you get that bar?" Kelvin piped up to Wynn's - greeting "Hey Wynn, thats 'Flight Officer Hero', thought you knew your ranks?"

Rest of the time was spent on both fighters, until Vookoo started singing that darned Rodian opera, Kelvin could only guess for the nth time just how little of it was actually right. Not that he could even fathom what the meaning was, much less understand Rodese, even though Ruuvi was usually the one who started singing it in the first place.


"And above all, someone very dear to you--both of you," she says warmly. "Thanks Wynn. Hey Vook, speaking of which," Kelvin pulled out a datacard and waved it at vook,"Forgot to tell ya, wrote a letter to send to our mom, finally got the chance to. Figure you wanna say a little somethin before I send it and we head out again? Y'know how mom gets sometimes, she'll end up getting Crix to track down our whereabouts."


Kelvin followed Vookoo and Wynn to the briefing room, where a few others were also assembled. The ones that just arrived perhaps? One of them was already quick to make aquaintences with Wynn. Considering they were all waiting around, no commanding oficer inroom to brief them yet, Kelvin figured he'd might as well make the best of it, and kill some time. Piping up, cheerfully, "Hi! Didn't see you at the party the other night. Just arrived didn't you? Guess we're all here for a reason. Might as well get aquainted right? My name's Kelvin, this here's my brother Vookoo. And yours would be?"

boccelounge
5 December 2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar &amp; Raven
Kelvin followed Vookoo and Wynn to the briefing room, where a few others were also assembled... Piping up, cheerfully, "Hi! Didn't see you at the party the other night. Just arrived didn't you? Guess we're all here for a reason. Might as well get aquainted right? My name's Kelvin, this here's my brother Vookoo. And yours would be?"
The Sullustan steps in to the briefing room, and hearing Kelvin's comment, steps in front of whoever the greeting was directed to.
KOSS: I am called "Captain Koss." This is useful, as it is my name! I shall assume for the time being that "Kelvin" and "Vooko" are likewise accurate designators for yourselves...
He exchanges vigorous handshakes with the two men.
KOSS: But this is not here, nor is it there! I request that the briefing begin, and that it be brief! "Promptly to the point and quickly to the question," as I say! Let us not tarry on pleasantries! Let us not dawdle, diddle, drag, linger, loiter, or procrastinate! Warriors at rest are of no use in war! On with the brief briefing!

Ris
5 December 2005, 02:39 PM
Under his breath where Wynn can hear it but Koss can't , Vooko tells Blue 7 in Sollustan, "Then drop the drama & get to business." Her wing's raised eyebrow & slitted eyes plainly say to her, "Is he really insane or just way too full of himself?"
Wynn gives one of Those Smiles, the kind Vooko suspects had newbie Shooting Stars pilots quailing, since it bears more than a passing resemblance to a Mom Stare. "I think it would be more courteous to allow the Major that priviledge, my dear Captain."

boccelounge
5 December 2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Ris
Wynn gives one of Those Smiles, the kind Vooko suspects had newbie Shooting Stars pilots quailing, since it bears more than a passing resemblance to a Mom Stare. "I think it would be more courteous to allow the Major that priviledge, my dear Captain."
The excited Sullustan suddenly becomes very serious and calm, nods gravely and very knowingly at this statement, and responds politely.
KOSS: This is very true. Brief though it may be, a major briefing requires a Major briefer. As you, I await this one's entrance.
Still nodding at Wynn's wisdom, Koss takes a near the front of the hall, and sits upright and attentively, his hands folded primly in his lap.


EDIT: minor change to character's location, per GM's request.

Donovan Morningfire
5 December 2005, 04:31 PM
I'll say this for the Captian, he sure talks a good game. Be nice if he can actually back it up when push comes to shove. Remy thought to himself. He'd seen too many blowhards, and right now the self-proclaimed Captain Koss fight nice and snug into that category. In his former line of work, the more people out there that knew about you, the harder it was to get the job done. Then again, if Koss was as wanted by the Empire as he'd claimed, he'd make great bait for any bounty hunters that wandered by.

Remy took stock of the meeting attendees. Cinowyn Antilles he knew, as she'd walked up and introduced herself, though he wasn't feeling very chatty at the moment. Kell he knew from being stuck on Koss' ship. He heard Antilles mutter something, but didn't quite catch it, and given Koss' reaction, it probably wasn't very complimentary. Then there was Kelvin and his brother Vookoo, though Kelvin seemed the more forward of the pair. Again, Remy hadn't felt very chatty, and for once was actually glad Koss had swaggered in.

And I thought the last bunch I worked with was a motley lot, Remy mused silently.They weren't kidding when they said the Rebellion will take anyone. Well, I suppose I might as well get the formalities out of the way.

Stepping over to Cinowyn, Remy offered his hand in greeting, "Sorry if I seemed a mite rude earlier, lieutenant. The name's Remy Marsteen."

coldskier0320
5 December 2005, 07:43 PM
As the group gathers in the briefing room, several small conversations start. There is a low-ranking soldier near the door keeping an eye or three on things until the briefing could get underway. Though the room is large enough to hold a small platoon of soldiers, at the moment the only occupants are Vooko, Wynn, Kelvin, Remy, Koss, Kell, and the Gran Rebel near the door. The room itself is a utilitarian affair: the bare metal walls and metal grate floor didn’t do much for the terraced rows of benches that filled several shallow steps from the door down to the front of the room, where a holoprojector and a vidscreen sat, inactive. Despite the spartan surroundings, however, it’s apparent someone took some time to remodel the room at some point, as the hum of machinery that filled nearly every part of the old space station was noticeably absent here. The background noises that had drifted to everybody’s subconscious now became conspicuously quiet. Anyone who goes to the middle of the room and looks down through the grating will see the ventilation fans, and, far below them, in the air ducts, a crimson haze: the air passages were guarded by particle-shielding.

At precisely 1730, the Gran attendant barks, “Officer on deck!” and jumps to attention. As this happens, Major Tumb enters the room, accompanied by a few others. The first is a tall, striking female in a gray Intelligence uniform. She wears he dark red hair pulled into a severely tight bun and her ice blue eyes are so pale that it almost looks as if she has no iris at all, giving her an attractive, if intimidating look. She gives the room’s inhabitants a quick once-over, and looks as if she’s less-than-impressed. The second is an average-looking man. That in itself makes the man stand out in a way. He is of average height and build, with short light brown hair, brown eyes and slightly tanned skin. He has a short, well-kept beard and mustache and has a gaze that seems as if he is learning things about you that even you don’t know. Though unmistakably human, he could pass for a native on a thousand different worlds.

With the trio coming to a halt at the holoprojector, Major Tumb says, “Have a seat everyone, up front here, where everyone can see.”

As the group files into place, the Sullustan CO addresses the Gran, “Thank you, Deehk. You’re on ship’s leave for the next twenty-four, have a good time.”

Slightly puzzled at being dismissed form this sort of job so early, the Gran tilts his head for a moment in uncertainty. Still, he knows better than to look a gift bantha in the mouth, and smartly nods, says, “Thank you, sir.”, and exits.

As soon as he leaves, Tumb touches a control on his belt and two more durasteel panels slide into place over the door and the lights flicker a moment. Waiting a full ten seconds in silence, the Sullustan eventually continues, wasting no time on pleasantries. The amiable, easygoing man of last week’s party is gone, replaced by a no-nonsense, to the point officer.

“You are all now under a state of level five security clearance. Any and all information you receive during this briefing is to be maintained as ‘eyes-only’ and/or ‘ears-only’ as the case may be. In addition, any and all information discussed in this briefing is considered to be classified, and as such, maintained at a level five priority code of clearance. This means that is not to be discussed, under any circumstances, with anyone, except level six and higher Alliance officials and those officials with level five clearance as well as priority documentation pertaining to this assignment.”

The major pauses for a moment to let that sink in. The group wasn’t being offered an assignment, they were being assigned. Also, level five clearance meant Alliance High Command wasn’t fooling around. This wasn’t a test or drill, training was over, and it was time to deliver. Tumb continues,

“Allow me to introduce my associates, the lady is Lieutenant Miykus Dar’tann from Department seven of Alliance Intelligence, and this is Colonel Crix Madine, Alliance Special Forces. I’ll now be turning this briefing over to them. Remember, eyes and ears only, welcome to Operation: Dragon Pearl.”

Tumb takes a few steps back, giving the floor to the man, Madine. When he speaks, Madine has a soft, yet determined voice. As he begins to speak, the holoprojector comes to life, depicting a planet, rotating slowly on its axis, with a key location in the southern hemisphere marked with a pulsating red light, also, the lights in the room dim at a touch from Tumb’s belt unit, bringing out the colors of the holoprojector.

“Horxon-Glyn is the site of a large Imperial prison complex to which we’ve traced many of the Imperials’ high-risk Alliance captives. While political prisoners are usually spread out in remote locations, a large percentage of military prisoners and Special Forces have been incarcerated within the cell-block tiers of the Horxon-Glyn prison complex.

“Though we would love to make a jailbreak there, it is simply beyond our abilities…for now. Though an assault, or even a commando raid, of the prisons are a long way off, we have nevertheless started to make preparations for just such a mission, by sending scouts, spies, and surveyors to the planet. In addition, though escapes are uncommon, they do happen, and the rebel cells on a half dozen planets near Horxon have established a covert pipeline for getting the rebels who DO manage to escape, and seeing them safely to places far enough rimward the ensure a relative degree of safety.”

At this, the gray planet shrinks in relation to the holoprojector, putting itself in the center of several other marble-sized holo-planets. Then, several paths, highlighted in bright colors, link up a few series of worlds, causing Horxon itself to resemble the body of some exotic, gaudy spider.

“One such pipeline runs from Horxon, through Ord Mantell, Chalmyron, and finally Darlyn Boda, before sending the escapees on to their own unit. This is also our primary method of exfiltration and recovery for the agent we send in to gather intelligence on the Horxon complex. Recently, however, one of our agents was forced to go to ground on Chalmyron, the most sparsely populated of the planets on the pipeline.

While Madine says this last, one of the “legs” is focused on, increasing in size to fill the entire holo-field. After a moment the third of the four planets swells to fill the entire holoprojector’s projection field. Chalmyron is a green and tan world with large landmasses, low mountains, and a pair of small, but deep oceans. It was a world of cliffs and canyons, with only a few small population centers scattered across the coastal lowlands.

“To everyone except Department seven, and the highest ranked members of High Command, agent Enquinn Kryke, codename Mindsight, is thought MIA on a sabotage mission to Bilbringi. However, Mindsight sent one last transmission before his burn on Chalmyron. Apparently, he’d made contact with a ranking member of the Horxon command staff named Trilth and convinced the Imperial to defect. When he’d made his exfil, the imperial in question would volunteer to track him down, and our agent would lead him to a rebel cell, finalizing his defection. However, things went wrong.

“Apparently, Imperial Intelligence was on Mindsight’s trail, and when he left Horxon, not only did our defector get sent out, but also quite a sizable chunk of Imperial Army. They’ve established a temporary garrison near the capital city of Drutan and have hundreds of small rapid deployment stations scattered across the globe. One of the reasons that the planet was chosen to be part of the pipeline was its low population and development. Another was its inaccessibility. During the Clone Wars, Chalmyron served as a staging area for Republic forces. Later on in the war, it became a supply dump. At some point, the Seperatist forces staged a large-scale offensive in the area, and the Republic was forced to abandon its supplies, so they mined the asteroid belt around the planet before they left.”

The display zooms out to reveal the planet’s complex system of rings, through which was scattered scores of tiny, red pinpricks of light: mines. As if a ring system that nearly covered the entire planet wasn’t bad enough, there were things that went boom. Still, Madine continued,

“Your mission will be to land on Chalmyron undetected, make contact with Trilth and evacuate him form the planet. If you happen to make contact with Mindsight in the process, you are to bring him as well, however, this is a secondary objective, Trilth is your main concern. Now allow me to turn this briefing over to Lieutenant Dar’tann.”

Madine steps back beside Major Tumb as Miykus Dar’tann steps forward and the lights come back up as Chalmyron dissolves as the holoprojector shuts down. Miykus eyes the group with that same disapproving gaze from before. It’s the type of look a discerning customer would give a nerf, if she were thinking about buying it and having it slaughtered, and it doesn’t make anyone feel at ease. After a long moment of silence, the severe-looking woman speaks, her voice a total turnaround from her demeanor and appearance, seems almost warm and inviting, with a slight accent that reveals that she’d spent time on Brentaal. Now that you hear the voice, she does have a look of nobility about her…

“This mission is very important to High Command, so you’ll be provided with anything you need, within reason, of course. Because the situation involves a defector, it falls under Intelligence’s field of expertise, thus my superiors are the ones who have masterminded this mission, and through me, they have passed this assignment along to you. In addition to everything Colonel Madine has said, I’d like to add that, should you be unable to see Trilth, codename Gardener, his contract is to be closed. I trust I make myself clear?”

Silence hangs like a wet blanket for a few long seconds before Tumb again speaks,

“Are there any questions?”

Vanger Chevane
6 December 2005, 03:30 PM
So deep in thought that he forgets Military Protocal and reverts to the Team's method of roundtabling & brainstorming, Vooko forgets to raise his hand and stand, "Presumably someone will have methods to ID them and IFF ourselves.

One of them (indicating Remy, Koss, and the unusually taciturn New Lieutenant) should know how to Harvest Poach with something large enough to carry a dozen passengers minimum. A snub, especially one capable of carrying heavy ordnance, makes a lot of noise telling the entire system there's someone about they really want to vape.

Since this commando-type stuff isn't my forte', why am I here?"

Donovan Morningfire
6 December 2005, 03:32 PM
Remy sat quietly through the briefing. In spite of the stories he'd heard of the ramshackle way the Rebels conducted things, the stark professionalism of Colonel Madine and Lt. Dar'tann made it very clear there was no room for tomfoolery and less room for error.


Silence hangs like a wet blanket for a few long seconds before Tumb again speaks,
“Are there any questions?”

Still relaxed in his chair, Remy raised his arm, feeling for the life of him as if he were back in school and the teacher had just told them the class project was going to be worth most of their final grade. Which come to think of it, might just be the case.

"First question, do we have viable descriptions of Gardener and Mindsight to work from? Second, how many ships will we have available for the insertion? Given the profile, I'm figuring a single light transport would be the best option for not attracting undue attention, though it might make a hot exit a bit on the tricky side. Further, is there a strict time frame that we're working under aside from the usual 'as-quickly-as-humanly-possible? Becuase if Imperial Intell was on to your boy, it's not a far bet they might be on to Trilth as well. And if we can't make the extract or we find out he's damaged goods, just how much finality do you want in closing his contract? The lieutenant's indication was she doesn't want him putting out a greatest hits album at a later date if he doesn't sign under the Alliance label." Remy paused a moment, looking the stern-faced Miykus dead in the eyes, then added, almost as an afterthought, a slight smirk on his face, "and while we're in the neighborhood, just how much of the garrison do you want standing when we leave?"

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
6 December 2005, 05:20 PM
After both Vookoo and one of the new guys that was introducing himself to Wynn raised their hands to ask questions, Kelvin was curious about a few things too, raising his hand, asking cheerfully,

"Hey uh, what are we all allowed to take with ourselves? Are we gonna have a couple bikes an speeders or local animals, or are we all hot-footin it? A repulsor sled would be handy if thats the case we're in for a campin trip with tents an' all..."

coldskier0320
6 December 2005, 07:18 PM
Miykus eyes Vooko, Remy and Kel with an odd mixture of emotions, mostly the same coldness, but with the barest hints of interest and approval, as if she's glad to finally be in the company of logically thinking people.

In response to them, she says, "Before you leave here, you'll each be supplied with high-security datapads with all of the information we've discussed here, as well as complete dossiers on both Mindsight and Gardener. As for the other issues, I believe Colonel Madine withh clear some of that up when he goes into the details of the tactics to be used. As far as time frame, the imperial army is actively hunting Mindsight, who has to walk a thin line, keeping the imperials after him, but not getting captured, until you can take Gardener. Once you secure Gardener, he can leave, either with you, or through the cell to Darlyn Boda, either way, the sooner he gets clear, the better, as the Imperials will eventually catch him, if he is forced to stay too long. If this does happen, and Mindsight is unable to escape or be rescued, you are to close his contract as well. He has level five clearance, and is not someone who can fall into imperial hands.

"As far as the Imperials being informed of Gardener, it is unlikely, as he is leading a significant portion of the search-and-detain force. Still, it is possible. Concerning contract-closing, you are to do just that. Ensure that none of Mindsight's or Gardener's assets, whether physical or mental, can be used against us. Ever. I trust I make myself clear?"

Turning to Kelvin, Miykus answers, "I believe Colonel Madine will clear this up for you."

That said, she again steps back and Madine takes over,

While Chalmyron is a fairly unpopulated planet, the Imperial Army has brought with it the latest in sensor detection systems. Foremost among these systems are a ground to orbit sensor capable of identifying sublight and repulsor emmisions nearly to the edge of the atmosphere, and a network of ground-based sensor pods that, at their maximum gain, could identify energy signatures as small as a nicostick lighter anywhere within a 100 km radius of the main base, or 1 km of each of the rapid deployment stations. Fortunately, local volcanic activity in the form of open seams in the planet's crust force them to block any signature less powerful than, say, a swoop engine. Anything close to this level of power, however, would need to remain close to one of the volcanic seams, or out of sensor range. Thus, while you're on planet, you'll also be on foot, if you must do any travelling. And while a repulsor sled isn't recommended, you'll have access to repulsor-assisted bergens, which have a low energy signature.

The ideal situation post-mission is one where you've landed, secured Gardener and Mindsight, undetected, and gotten away with a minumum of casualties.

Unfortunately, while the ground-based sensors are being dumbed-down, the ground to air sensors suffer no such inhibition. This necessitates a fairly unconventional insertion. Coming out of hyperspace in the Chalmyron system will pose no problems, as the garrison has no long range detection systems, just highly sensitive air sensors. Upon reversion to realspace, you’ll be required to navigate the minefield. This is where the fighters will prove valuable, shooting mines out of the Moonlight Maiden’s path if necessary. Also, they will be expected to deal with any other spaceborne threats that may present themselves, both in the infil and exfil. Upon penetrating the mine field, all ships will enact a piloting program, much like a slave circuit, that will put them at a proper entry angle for entry into Chalmyron’s atmosphere. The program will then kill the engines and let the crafts freefall toward the pre-scouted landing area, a valley between two mountains just northeast of the garrison, out of the sensors’ fields of view. Should anything interfere with this, you will have a backup landing location in your computers, a small sandy area in a canyon where a river falls, emptying into the nearby ocean.

“Once landed, you will proceed to rapid deployment station 55-Jenth (55-J), just south of the garrison, secure Gardener, who is the CO there, and return to the LZ. From either LZ, this should take several days by foot. So prepare accordingly when you report to the quartermaster after the briefing.

“In addition, your hulls will be powdercoated with a compund that will burn up on atmospheric entry, protecting your hulls, and resembling a meteor strike, a very common occurrence in the Chalmyron night sky. For the exfil, repulsors will be necessary, so just try to avoid Imperial forces as much as possible. You should have no problem escaping to hyperspace well ahead of any interceptors.”

Madine gives this a few long moments to sink in, then again asks, “Any further questions?”

Rostek
6 December 2005, 07:54 PM
After settling himself into a chair in the briefing room and adopting a slightly less than military grade posture- not quite a slouch, but more than a minor deviation- he prepares himself to assimilate the mission briefing.
The Alderaanian lieutenant nods and makes mental notes at the appropriate points during the brief, and finds himself wondering why the zoomies were in the room at all.
Sounds terribly like SpecOps, or- at worst- SpecForce or Intell territory to me. he thought, itching his chin absentmindedly.
Kell decides against commenting among the initial barrage of questions- after all, it would be best to get things out in small chunks, as there is a human tendancy to provide more detail to fewer questions.
At least the zoomies have the common sense to wonder what the hell they're supposed to do. Bodes well for the mission that they're smart., Kell thinks approvingly at the one male pilot (and assuming that his associate is of similar nature). The other... how... rustic- though apparently is aware of the basic logistical needs of the mission. he thought, waiting particualrly to hear this part of the coming explaination.
That's a longass way to Heel-Toe it Kell thought, sighing at both what he knew were the upcoming answers to this and Remy's questions.
How terribly typical of Intell. No fun at all- in 'n out. Still, given the rather apparently sparse reasources being applied to this mission, it makes sense. Hell- I'm probably the most experianced one at this kind of stuff assigned- and I've only done it once. Well... once and a half... he thought.
That mission on Ord Yarndtil counted, even if those partisans had started the firefight before he did. I was just about to anyway... he thought with a mental equivilent of a shrug. That thought triggered a relevent concern.
Raising his hand, Kell asked: "This probably needs to be asked... while I'm aware of and prefer the communal planning and mission pursuance and whatnot... who has command authority to call FUBA- er... abort or other possible necessaries for mission, as far as direction purposes and such?" he said carefully. Kell was unaware of the zoomies' (and their friend's) impact on the command structure and, perhaps more interestingly, Kell was totally unaware of "Captain Koss'" actual rank or position in the command structure. As far as the SpecOpser had gathered, "Captain" was his first name, which, while it did not complicate things on ship, was far more relevent to the mission at hand in times of crisis.

boccelounge
7 December 2005, 01:32 PM
Koss takes in the briefing with sober attention, occasionally nodding gravely at certain points made by Major Tumb and Colonel Madine. He starts to jot a few notes to himself on a small pad, as the other team members begin their questions. Something Remy says makes the Sullustan freighter captain look up.


Originally posted by Donovan Morningfire
Remy paused a moment, looking the stern-faced Miykus dead in the eyes, then added, almost as an afterthought, a slight smirk on his face, "and while we're in the neighborhood, just how much of the garrison do you want standing when we leave?"
His eyes twinkle brightly at this suggestion, and Koss half-stands from his chair.
KOSS: Yes! Rockets! I say we use rockets! Commandoes on rocket-packs with rocket-launchers! Death from above, to the Enemy Garrison! Death By Rocket!


Originally posted by coldskier0320
Miykus answers, "I believe Colonel Madine will clear this up for you."

Madine: "The ideal situation post-mission is one where you've landed, secured Gardener and Mindsight, undetected, and gotten away with a minumum of casualties...
Koss considers this, then sits back down, somewhat dejected, but looking appeased.
KOSS: Hmm... yes, yes... this could work too. Very good... very good.


Originally posted by coldskier0320
Madine: "Upon penetrating the mine field, all ships will enact a piloting program, much like a slave circuit, that will put them at a proper entry angle for entry into Chalmyron’s atmosphere. The program will then kill the engines and let the crafts freefall toward the pre-scouted landing area... "
The pale blue Sullustan again bolts up in alarm.
KOSS: I am liking this less than before! Making the pilots slaves to a computer?! Killing engines?! This is no passable proposition for proficient pilots such as these!
He stands aghast for a moment, then composes himself.
KOSS: But it is clear these... these... ignominies are unavoidable.


Originally posted by coldskier0320
Madine: “In addition, your hulls will be powdercoated with a compund that will burn up on atmospheric entry, protecting your hulls, and resembling a meteor strike... ”
This, finally, wins over Koss, and he points his finger up in agreement and obvious delight.
KOSS: Aha! Yes! Like the Solar Sky Raiders, we shall burn our valor into the sky, as we swoop down on the unsuspecting foes!
Koss sits back contentedly, and listens to the rest of the briefing.

Donovan Morningfire
7 December 2005, 02:49 PM
Remy had to work hard to keep from rolling his eyes each time Koss made an outburst. The rate he's going, he should have the entire sector convinced he's a first-rate buffoon. Of course, it could all be an elaborate act...


KOSS: Aha! Yes! Like the Solar Sky Raiders, we shall burn our valor into the sky, as we swoop down on the unsuspecting foes!

At this, Remy just lowers his head and shakes it in disgust, muttering under his breath, "So much for that theory."


Madine gives this a few long moments to sink in, then again asks, “Any further questions?”

Remy raises his arm again. "You mentioned snubfighter support in addition the Moonlight Maiden. I'll confess to not knowing how many in this group are qualified fighter pilots, aside from Lieutenant Wynn," he asked, nodding to Cinowynn as he said the last bit. "So how many snubfighters are we being allocated for this mission?"

Vanger Chevane
8 December 2005, 04:02 PM
Vooko watches Koss' antics with growing distaste...and concern.

Was he Combat-Lobotomized at some point or does he need to be?


"You mentioned snubfighter support in addition the Moonlight Maiden. I'll confess to not knowing how many in this group are qualified fighter pilots, aside from Lieutenant Wynn,"
Vooko thinks sourly, Then finding out even the absolute basics about whom you'll be stuck working with has slipped past you. As have basic Uniform Regs. Can't recognize Pilot Wings unless they shoot at you?


"So how many snubfighters are we being allocated for this mission?"
Now to see just how much of a Kloo he can stuff into his ears...

"Unless you've brought your own, two. The low profile needed to pull this off is likely to preclude participation of pilots not present, and then only in a worst-case situation we'd prefer not to experience.

Fortunately for you, the ships are custom-engineered and give us more options than Incom or Blissex hands out."

To Madine, "Sir, what kind of supply, security, and/or camo options are available at the LZ? Finding our way out after groundpounding a very significant distance confiscated by Imps or crashed by some snot-nosed kid with less sense than bravado will heavily cripple the op, and your reputations. Being able to adapt a solution At Runtime sounds to be desirable, if not critical, to success.

Also, how much time do we have for prep & sim?" Recalling the extensive injuries his sister had suffered from a low-level avian strike forcing a very hot dead-stick landing, "Given the method of going in, as a team we all need to not only be sharp on our piloting, but crash recovery and repair as well. I'm presuming that having us stuck Dirtside there as well would be a very Bad Thing all round."

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
9 December 2005, 12:32 AM
That said, she again steps back and Madine takes over,

While Chalmyron is a fairly unpopulated planet, the Imperial Army has brought with it the latest in sensor detection systems. Foremost among these systems are a ground to orbit sensor capable of identifying sublight and repulsor emmisions nearly to the edge of the atmosphere, and a network of ground-based sensor pods that, at their maximum gain, could identify energy signatures as small as a nicostick lighter anywhere within a 100 km radius of the main base, or 1 km of each of the rapid deployment stations. Fortunately, local volcanic activity in the form of open seams in the planet's crust force them to block any signature less powerful than, say, a swoop engine. Anything close to this level of power, however, would need to remain close to one of the volcanic seams, or out of sensor range. Thus, while you're on planet, you'll also be on foot, if you must do any travelling. And while a repulsor sled isn't recommended, you'll have access to repulsor-assisted bergens, which have a low energy signature.
"So in otherwords, it is a 'nature walk' and 'camping trip', low tech all the way. Thats all I needed to know for packin the bags. Thankyou sir." Kelvin replies appreciatively, with a bit of a grin, looking at the rest of the group, "This is gonna be fun. I hope some of you don't mind 'roughing it' "


KOSS: Yes! Rockets! I say we use rockets! Commandoes on rocket-packs with rocket-launchers! Death from above, to the Enemy Garrison! Death By Rocket!
Kelvin couldn't help it, adressing the solustan directly, "Are you frellin nuts?!? Thats not covert! To pull this off, not alert the Imperials, we must be one with the forest. I've heard of designated decoys but rocket packs just take the Ryshhcake! You'll bring the entire down upon us." Kelvin shakes his head in utter disbeleif...

boccelounge
9 December 2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar &amp; Raven
Kelvin couldn't help it, adressing the solustan directly, "Are you frellin nuts?!? Thats not covert! To pull this off, not alert the Imperials, we must be one with the forest. I've heard of designated decoys but rocket packs just take the Ryshhcake! You'll bring the entire down upon us." Kelvin shakes his head in utter disbeleif...
The Sullustan considers this thoughtfully for a moment...
KOSS: Yes... yes. You speak truly. It is said that "fortune favors the bold," but I agree that we should favor stealth!
He turns to face Madine and the Major.
KOSS: I shall be ready to embark on your orders, sirs! The Moonlight Maiden shall be prepped, ready, and at your disposal-- er, let us not call it "disposal"-- at your service as soon as is possible!
Koss sits back in his chair, and gives Kelvin a reassuring nod of approval.

coldskier0320
9 December 2005, 11:36 AM
"This probably needs to be asked... while I'm aware of and prefer the communal planning and mission pursuance and whatnot... who has command authority to call FUBA- er... abort or other possible necessaries for mission, as far as direction purposes and such?"

Madine pauses a moment to regard Brannick almost quizzically, before answering, “Why, you do, Lieutenant. You do have the most experience in this sort of thing, am I not correct? You will be the overall leader, with Lt. Antilles as a second decision-maker in the event of a group split or casualties. In addition, Radegant will be considered to have specialist’s status for this mission, with respect to wilderness operations. Within this field of knowledge, his wisdom and judgement will override those of the rest of the group. While spaceborne, Lt. Antilles has first command. So you see, with such an irregular unit as this, leadership falls upon whomever is best suited for leadership.”


KOSS: Aha! Yes! Like the Solar Sky Raiders, we shall burn our valor into the sky, as we swoop down on the unsuspecting foes!

After Koss’s tirade, all three of the brass hesitate for a few long seconds to stare at Koss in dumbfounded disbelief. Madine looks almost as if he is fighting off a grin, while Dar’tann looks totally disgusted. Tumb, for his part, is showing every ounce of dismay he can pull from his already mournful looking features. You can almost see him thinking, but he came so highly recommended!


To Madine, "Sir, what kind of supply, security, and/or camo options are available at the LZ? Finding our way out after groundpounding a very significant distance confiscated by Imps or crashed by some snot-nosed kid with less sense than bravado will heavily cripple the op, and your reputations. Being able to adapt a solution At Runtime sounds to be desirable, if not critical, to success.

Also, how much time do we have for prep & sim?" Recalling the extensive injuries his sister had suffered from a low-level avian strike forcing a very hot dead-stick landing, "Given the method of going in, as a team we all need to not only be sharp on our piloting, but crash recovery and repair as well. I'm presuming that having us stuck Dirtside there as well would be a very Bad Thing all round."

“Each ship will be supplied both with camouflaged netting sufficient to cover the ship, as well as a magnalock for each hatch. To use the camo netting, simply spread it over the ground nearby for a few minutes, then drape it over the ships. It will take on not only the color, but also the sensor characteristics of the ground it was on.

“As far as prep and sim, I’m afraid you won’t have much time. We needed to keep this assignment as quiet as possible, and thus we couldn’t have you knowing this information and walking around Solitude, security compromised. You were chosen because you are the best people for the mission. And we are confident that you’ll have no trouble completeing the task. That said, you’ll be travelling to the Chalmyron system via the escort carrier Eripsa. On board, you’ll be residing in a section sealed off from the rest of the ship. This section will be equipped with several sim units for you to make dry runs. The trip to Chalmyron will last approximately a day and a half. When you come out of hyperspace, you will be expected to have your ships hot and ready. You’ll leave the Eripsa’s docking bay and she’ll return to hyperspace immediately, waiting only for green codes from each of your craft. Now, the Eripsa will be arriving in just a few hours. This will be enough time for you to report to the quartermaster intelligence brought with them, who will get you what you need from the Solitude’s supplies. You’ll be departing from this station at 0400 tommorow morning, standard time, and will be making planetfall on Chalmyron about this time two days from now. Between times, you are to have no contact whatsoever with any of the base’s personnel. The only people you are cleared to speak to are myself, Major Tumb, Lt. Dar’tann, and the intelligence people. Is that clear?”

coldskier0320
11 December 2005, 06:56 PM
After a moment passes, a hidden door panel slides open in the front of the room, and Lieutenant Dar'tann says,

"This corridor leads to the intelligence ship I arrived in. You'll find a single large passenger berth onboard for you to spend the night in. My people will bring your belongings from your rooms. Once you are settled in, I suggest you get some rest. Tommorow promises to be a long day."

Vanger Chevane
11 December 2005, 09:27 PM
Still confused about his role and the lack of critical answers, as calmly and respectfully as he can...

"Lieutenant, I still fell that my role Dirtside is unclear and need to know what I'mr supposed to be doing, as well as what kind of supply & repair will be available there in order to help pull this off as successfully and smoothly as possible.

I'd be grateful if you could get me that information quickly."

Ris
13 December 2005, 06:12 AM
Stepping over to Cinowyn, Remy offered his hand in greeting, "Sorry if I seemed a mite rude earlier, lieutenant. The name's Remy Marsteen."
Wynn inclines her head in acceptance of the apology, as she took the man's hand. "Pleased to meet you, Master Marsteen." The Gran announced the Major as soon as the greeting was past her lips. The pilot gives another gracious nod & mouthes, "We'll speak more," then takes a seat near her wing, hoping the Sollustan's serious mood will stay serious, considering how solemn Tumb is now..

For a brief moment, the woman, Dar'tann, reminds her of her mother--but only for a moment. The hair is too dark, the eyes too pale, the woman's mien too superior, with none of the graciousness that Lady Antilles used to conceal her true reactions. Wynn listens to the briefing details, then her teammates' queries. Not being strong in the area of logistics, Wynn isn't sure if she'll be any use is supply requisitioning. So the sometime noble takes mental notes of what they ask about. As far as she can tell they have pretty much covered the basics. She's also impressed by Kel's specific skills--perhaps she should find out how he knows what to look for. She does have her personal gear already stowed between the Star Dancer & Razzle.


Remy paused a moment...then added, almost as an after thought..., "and while we're in the neighborhood, just how much of the garrison do you want standing when we leave?"
His eyes twinkle brightly at this suggestion, and Koss half-stands from his chair. KOSS: Yes! Rockets! I say we use rockets! Commandoes on rocket-packs with rocket-launchers! Death from above, to the Enemy Garrison! Death By Rocket!
Lt. Antilles gives Koss a quelling stare. Remy's question isn't unreasonable, though the phrasing isn't her style, but Koss' outburst is not going to endear them to these high-up Alliance officers. "Marsteen has a point--what are our secondary or tertiary objectives, if any?"


Upon penetrating the mine field, all ships will enact a piloting program, much like a slave circuit, that will put them at a proper entry angle for entry into Chalmyron’s atmosphere. The program will then kill the engines...
KOSS: I am liking this less than before! Making the pilots slaves to a computer?! Killing engines?! This is no passable proposition for proficient pilots such as these!
My sentiments exactly! But I so wish he'd not seen fit to make them for me Wynn moaned silently. "I thank you for your concern for my wing and myself, dear Captain, but we will take up issues related to snubfighters," she told him. For most beings the warning edge in her otherwise-conversational tone would have been subtle, as would the annoyance on her features--but it was plain now that "subtle" would be missed by Koss. Unless having a 20-octave, triple-grand Naboo clavier dropped on one fits the definition of "subtle..."

After Koss’s tirade, all three of the brass hesitate for a few long seconds to stare at Koss in dumbfounded disbelief. Madine looks almost as if he is fighting off a grin, while Dar’tann looks totally disgusted. Tumb, for his part, is showing every ounce of dismay he can pull from his already mournful looking features. You can almost see him thinking, but he came so highly recommended!
Wynn shoots the Major a despairing "But I tried, I really tried! And I'll keep trying!" look of apology. She makes yet one more effort to rein in this drama-king. "Captain Koss, sir," she whispers in exasperation, touching his arm, "These officers are trying their best to make this a short meeting, as you requested yourself. Please sit & let them get on, so that it does conclude at a reasonable hour." How did mother keep some highranked boor from going on & on? I wish I knew--or that a trapdoor to a rancor would open under his feet!

Then Remy's asking about the number of pilots irritates Vooko. But he keeps control, as Wynn had expected of him. She nods in approval of his comments, including his not mentioning the 2 snubs are personal property. She still doesn't like these officers' plan for her & Vook's snubbies, and speaks up in support of his request for sim-time after Madine refuses it. "Colonel, I must protest this overly-limited sim-time. I am sure that your subordinates have made you aware of how heavily-modded these 2 fighter-craft are. It is essential for the mission sucess that we ensure that the landing programs you deem needful for our entry will work properly with these snubs' systems. For example, the unique foils on my X-wing affect it's behavior significantly. Also, refit of this craft was completed only this afternoon." If the program will work at all with them...


Still confused about his role and the lack of critical answers, as calmly and respectfully as he can...
"Lieutenant, I still fell that my role Dirtside is unclear and need to know what I'mr supposed to be doing, as well as what kind of supply & repair will be available there in order to help pull this off as successfully and smoothly as possible. I'd be grateful if you could get me that information quickly."
Wynn adds, "I would be grateful as well, Colonel, Lt."

Rostek
13 December 2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by coldskier0320


Madine pauses a moment to regard Brannick almost quizzically, before answering, “Why, you do, Lieutenant. You do have the most experience in this sort of thing, am I not correct? You will be the overall leader, with Lt. Antilles as a second decision-maker in the event of a group split or casualties. In addition, Radegant will be considered to have specialist’s status for this mission, with respect to wilderness operations. Within this field of knowledge, his wisdom and judgement will override those of the rest of the group. While spaceborne, Lt. Antilles has first command. So you see, with such an irregular unit as this, leadership falls upon whomever is best suited for leadership.”



Kell nods his head in comprehension. "I suspected as much, indeed, it is how we tend to operate in SpecOps- still, I was uncertain as to the status of my paramilitary travel companions or the Fighter Command officers in comparison to my own as far as such a mission is concerned. In any case, it eliminates any uncertainty on mine- and I suspect, others'- parts, and I am glad to see such a... diverse mission group has such a problem as overabundance of expertise and intellect." he says, his expression more or less blank outside of a small frown, common to men who are in some deeper thought for a moment.
"In case of... casualties? Why didn't he just come out and say "you" in this case. No matter... that's not going to happen, is it? Kell thought. Further pondering was interuppted by one of Koss' outbursts:


KOSS: Aha! Yes! Like the Solar Sky Raiders, we shall burn our valor into the sky, as we swoop down on the unsuspecting foes!

Kell is unable to restrain his developing tic, and a muscle in his face twitched, temporarily turning the right side of his face into a forlorn grimace. The response of the brass was all too typical- of course he's nuts... how do you think you got the sector guys to hand him over on such short notice, magic? he thought, shaking his head.


"Captain Koss, sir," she whispers in exasperation, touching his arm, "These officers are trying their best to make this a short meeting, as you requested yourself. Please sit & let them get on, so that it does conclude at a reasonable hour."
Kell restrains a laugh in his throat- Good luck with that, sister... he thought, thinking vaguely that the woman looked somewhat familliar. Brushing such thoughts aside for a later time, Kell's mind then wandered to the nearly non-existant preperatory phase and to the apparently well planned landing and initial mission phase.


“Each ship will be supplied both with camouflaged netting sufficient to cover the ship, as well as a magnalock for each hatch. To use the camo netting, simply spread it over the ground nearby for a few minutes, then drape it over the ships. It will take on not only the color, but also the sensor characteristics of the ground it was on.

At least we have an actual plan... better than usual. he thought, a ironic smile drifting up to the surface unconsciously. If our crack squad of pilots can manage to pull things off getting in, then the problems should be confined to the inevitable appearance of enemy troops or local wildlife at just the wrong moment, where they have the opportunity to bungle things beyond repair... also better than usual.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
15 December 2005, 04:20 AM
“As far as prep and sim, I’m afraid you won’t have much time. We needed to keep this assignment as quiet as possible, and thus we couldn’t have you knowing this information and walking around Solitude, security compromised. You were chosen because you are the best people for the mission. And we are confident that you’ll have no trouble completeing the task. That said, you’ll be travelling to the Chalmyron system via the escort carrier Eripsa. On board, you’ll be residing in a section sealed off from the rest of the ship. This section will be equipped with several sim units for you to make dry runs. The trip to Chalmyron will last approximately a day and a half. When you come out of hyperspace, you will be expected to have your ships hot and ready. You’ll leave the Eripsa’s docking bay and she’ll return to hyperspace immediately, waiting only for green codes from each of your craft. Now, the Eripsa will be arriving in just a few hours. This will be enough time for you to report to the quartermaster intelligence brought with them, who will get you what you need from the Solitude’s supplies. You’ll be departing from this station at 0400 tommorow morning, standard time, and will be making planetfall on Chalmyron about this time two days from now. Between times, you are to have no contact whatsoever with any of the base’s personnel. The only people you are cleared to speak to are myself, Major Tumb, Lt. Dar’tann, and the intelligence people. Is that clear?”

Letting the rest voice their comments, concerns and questions, Kelvin sits back, not much chance of getting something in if he had wanted to... (without an outburst like the Captain did)...

"Hey, don'cha think thats kinda over-redundant on the no-talk policey? Not to talk to anyone of lesser clearance considering we're being escorted to select quarters soon as we're all done here? And does that include no messages to pals to at least say 'sorry, we're headin out, catch ya later when / if we get back. else it's been great time spent with ya' sorta thing?"

"Minor redundancy aside, what's the backup plan? or is there a backup plan or failsafe point to fall back on should something go wrong at any point, and I do mean any point, Or just how much leeway do we have for comin up with somethin. Y'know, like when some yokel accidentally drops the fizz-stick into the nerf pen and next thing ya know, it's instant no time for 'oh-frell' time?"

"Not that I don't want to rain on anyones parade, but things rarely ever go according to plan right? No offense to intel, I'd just rather asume something will go wrong, then it just ain't so bad when something does go wrong. "
Kelvin finishes with an upwards hands shoulder shrug, being kinda speculative and hopeful in jest, with a fleeting smile feeling that he had to bring it up if no-one else did.

Hope nobody minds a bit of classic -=- (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000114/) Steve Buscemi -=- pessemistic optimisim intended flavor here ;)

coldskier0320
4 January 2006, 07:56 PM
"Lieutenant, I still fell that my role Dirtside is unclear and need to know what I'mr supposed to be doing, as well as what kind of supply & repair will be available there in order to help pull this off as successfully and smoothly as possible.

"Your role, and that of Lieutenant Antilles will become much more of a support role in this assignment. While this may seem a misallocation of personnel to you at this point, you may change your mind after you get to that mine field. This will be the third such mission we've sent to similarly mined planets. Should you make it planetside unscathed, you'll be the first."

Dar'tann lets this hang in the silence a moment, to ensure that the pilots don't take their roles lightly, before addressing Kel.


Hey, don'cha think thats kinda over-redundant on the no-talk policey? Not to talk to anyone of lesser clearance considering we're being escorted to select quarters soon as we're all done here? And does that include no messages to pals to at least say 'sorry, we're headin out, catch ya later when / if we get back. else it's been great time spent with ya' sorta thing?

Dar'tann manages to show a little annoyance as well as some confidence, though serenity is still clearly in the vast majority among her surface emotions, "This is simply standard security measures for an Intelligence mission. And no, you will most certainly not be permitted to make transmissions of any sort between now and H-hour. You may, however, leave recordings here on Solitude.


"Minor redundancy aside, what's the backup plan? or is there a backup plan or failsafe point to fall back on should something go wrong at any point, and I do mean any point, Or just how much leeway do we have for comin up with somethin. Y'know, like when some yokel accidentally drops the fizz-stick into the nerf pen and next thing ya know, it's instant no time for 'oh-frell' time?"

At this, all three of the briefers stare at Kel, wearing much the same expression they'd worn after Koss's sudden outburst. A few long moments pass; Miykus finds herself first,

"Uh", she begins, a strand of dark red hair finally falling from its severe style to frame the left side of the young woman's face, making her appear a little more approachable, but by no means friendly, "You will have full and total access to any options available to you. Your priorities are yourselves first, Gardener second, and Mindsight a distant third."

After a moment of silence, Madine takes over, "Then if you'll follow me...", as a secret, disguised panel slides up in the rear of th room, revealing a dimly lit passage.

Filing down the narrow walkway, Madine in front, and Dar'tann bringing up the rear, the group winds their way through the nearly total darkness, finally arriving at the other end. Palming an unseen control, the dead end slides up with a series of hisses and clicks to reveal a smallish room, lined with bunks.

As the entire group assembles in the room, Madine motions to a stack of datapads on a low table near the wall, "You can put all of your gear requests on those. I'll be back in fifteen minutes to retrieve the datapads, and an hour after that, you'll get as much of it as possible. After that, I suggest you get some sleep."

And with that, the three officers head back into the passage, which seals shut behind them. Apparently, the path leads into the room you'll be riding in. The Eripsa must have arrived.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
18 January 2006, 10:28 AM
Kelvin grinned inwardly to himself, thinking the loose strand of hair was a major improvement on the lady. He had to wonder what a smile would do to further her looks.

The breifing was pretty much over, they were led from the briefing room into the small bunk quarters. On the way out, Kelvin stole a brief glance at Miykus as he passed by.

"Dibs on top bunk!" Kelvin enthusiastically shouted, soon as he stepped into the room, then making a B-line for the table and datapads as soon as he saw them.

"Hey Wynn, whats your pref?" noting she being the only female of their group.

Kelvin grabed a couple datapads and went to work their survival gear.
Per person:
Aquata Breather x1
Breath Mask x1
Camouflage Poncho x1
Comlink x1
Distress Beacon [Saladar Systems PED-21] x1
Dura-Shelter [Adventure Hiker & Hunter] x1
Electrobinoculars x1
Energy Cell x5,
Glow rod x3,
Grappling Spike Launcher x1
Medpac x3,
Ration Pack [Adventure Hiker & Hunter] x3, Syntherope (20m length) [Degan Explorations] x1
Water Jug Filter [SurvivalGear] x1


"Hey Vook, would'ya have a look at this? I had something in mind. What do you think?" Kel calls his pal over, with one of those is it doable' grins, pointing to a particular item on the list...

Vanger Chevane
20 January 2006, 02:34 PM
Looking over Kelvin's shoulder: "Does being two meters closer to the stars make that much of a difference to you?

Hmmm...you want to comm-enable the beacon? Shouldn't be too tough, provided we can get a clear range of channels to operate on.

Or were you wanting voice activation? Might wanna take along some real food and a stove to avoid Graybar Sickness as long as reasonable."

Rostek
20 January 2006, 03:07 PM
Kell sighs and follows Madine into the staging room.
Laying his stuff on one of the bottom bunks, Kell takes a datapad and enters his armarment request:



1x AVt Combat Jumpsuit w/ blast helmet
1x Snooper goggles in lieu of electro binoculars
1x Blaster Rifle (Merr-Sonn G8) w/ std cleaning kit, bipod and sonic scope
1x Blaster Pistol (Blastech DL-22)
1x Underbarrel grenade launcher (Zone Control Viper 2)
1x Laserhone Vibrodagger with boot sheathe
Ammunition Bandolier with 8 spare power packs and 10 fragmentation grenades
All weapon requests assume supply of standard ammunition capacity (i.e. power pack/grenade mag).
1x Standard survival kit

-Recommend all personel carry sidearm (blaster pistol) and if cleared, blaster carbine/rifle
-Further recommend all comlinks issued be hands-free/headset supporting models

Nodding in approval of his handywork, Kell returns the pad and stretches out on the bed, using it as a makeshift couch.
"Anyone up for a game of sabaac?" he asks once everyone is settled in.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
20 January 2006, 03:15 PM
Looking over Kelvin's shoulder: "Does being two meters closer to the stars make that much of a difference to you?

Kelvin shrugs, "Eh, personal preferance."

"Why shouldn't we have a clear range of comm channels? Place is more backwater and unpopulated than home Vook... Hmm, maybe one or two with voice, rest I think just to be comm activated. "

"Stoves? nah. Bonfire. Wont even need any lit-sticks, just a couple of twigs and a bit of patience." Kelvin smiles.

"Greybar sickness on the otherhand, I think i'll just stick to my baggie of chewies and hope I have enough to last the flight. Or maybe Doc Goldie can prescribe something so I don't get quite near as sick?"

"Sabacc? Maybe on flight for somethin to pass the time with..." Kelvin responds to the invite.... Then continues to work on the equipment list, now for the personal gear.

Ris
20 January 2006, 07:51 PM
"Hey Wynn, whats your pref?" noting she being the only female of their group.
"That one," she says, pointing at a bunk in the corner. "Gentlemen, could you do me a favor & come up with a gear list for me? I've no head for logistics. Cory--the first Shooting Stars CO--useta say if I were Logistics Officer, I wouldn't even remember to requisition snub fuel. And I nearly decked Guay the time he said it was 'cause I'd always had stuff given to me."
She snags a datapad, plus the pillows from a couple spare bunks, using them to prop herself up on her chosen bunk. Taking out her stylus, she begins a letter to her brother.


"Greybar sickness on the otherhand, I think i'll just stick to my baggie of chewies and hope I have enough to last the flight. Or maybe Doc Goldie can prescribe something so I don't get quite near as sick?"
"Even if she did, you probably wouldn't care for the route of administration. Better ask her to prescribe a Real Food Only diet," Wynn replied, putting her 'pad down for a moment. "And speaking of Real Food, I could use a midnight snack about now--whether it's midnight or not."


"Anyone up for a game of sabaac?" he asks once everyone is settled in.
"Sorry, Kell, another thing I don't have a head for, and I really want to leave this letter." Wynn actually knew how to play but didn't care for the game, & had found claiming lack of talent was more "socially accpetable" than saying she found it boring. Wynn had learned the game from Leto Janus, Aldaraan's Surgeon General, as a girl, but only to humor the dear old man, who had been like a bachelor uncle to her & her younger siblings.

Vanger Chevane
21 January 2006, 10:51 PM
"And speaking of Real Food, I could use a midnight snack about now--whether it's midnight or not.

"Sorry, Kell, another thing I don't have a head for, and I really want to leave this letter." "
Sounds good if you don't mind the company. I should update my Journal as well, (with a side glance to Kelvin he knew would register) just in case...

But we all have a big problem to chew on as well.

We're sposed to fly through a live minefield, and I recall those aren't usually any kinder to unknown contacts as those they recognize as Foe.

We don't have the time to research, let alone rig up looks or sensor profiles, but is there any way we can get & overlay legit Republic IFFs so only the Imp stuff will try to kill us?"

Donovan Morningfire
23 January 2006, 04:24 PM
Remy snatched up a datapad from the table, then chose a section of wall to lean against as he considered what he might need that he didn't already have. He'd learned to travel light and to keep the basics on him at all times. Still, after that fiasco out towards the Kathol Sector, there were a few items he might as well try to get.



- Shadowsuit
- Breath Mask
- 3 Power Packs
- Mil-Spec Encrypted Comlink (if possible, one for each group member)
- Ziko 1125 Heads-Up Macrobinoculars
- Neuro-Saav TeleSonic Audio Pickup w/ headgear mount
- 20 meter length of syntherope
- Two changes of non-descript civilian clothing, one set a little on the baggy side.
- 500 credits in local currency
- Falsified IDs w/ plausible cover-story for as many of us as possible.


He considered adding more survival-orientated gear, but had a hunch that the ground-pounders would have a better idea of what would be needed. Placing his datapad back on the table with the others, Remy turned to stow his gear next to one of the unoccupied bunks, one that was preferably as far away from Koss as possible.


"Even if she did, you probably wouldn't care for the route of administration. Better ask her to prescribe a Real Food Only diet," Wynn replied, putting her 'pad down for a moment. "And speaking of Real Food, I could use a midnight snack about now--whether it's midnight or not."

She's expecting real-food in this place? Remy thought to himself as he checked the power pack on his blaster, more out of habit than anything else. I've seen better chow-halls in the refugee sectors on Nar Shaddaa.

"I suppose one last decent meal before we start living off ration packs wouldn't be a bad idea," Remy added, making sure his 'tools of the trade' were in good working order. He may not have made the grade as a professional soldier, but when you did what he did to make your way in the galaxy, it never hurt to make sure your gear was as ready as you were. He'd heard and seen too many stories of half-cocked hot-shots that got long stretches in the Imperial Graywall Hotel becuase their gear wasn't up to scratch. [i]At least that last nimrod I had to work with had the decency to get himself snuffed without taking me with him,[i] Remy concluded. No he just had to hope the same held true here. He still wasn't quite up to par on the Rebellion's ranking systems, but from the sounds of things most of the group had worked together before. The only left was to see if the new wild cards would be sabers or fools.


"Anyone up for a game of sabaac?" Kell asks once everyone is settled in.

"Sounds like a good way to pass some time," Remy responds after tucking his gear away. "You willing to risk a few credits or is this Imperial Senate rules?" he asked with a sly grin.

Rostek
23 January 2006, 04:59 PM
"Sorry, Kell, another thing I don't have a head for, and I really want to leave this letter."
Kell nodded- "Of course. I used to be a hot hand at Aldera Poly's club circuit before I left for the Academy. They don't look too fondly on gambling at Corulag, so I've been rather rusty. If you want, I can give you some assistance if you want to participate in the future. Offer's on the table- keep it in mind. A lot of this stuff is mind-numbing travel." the Alderaanian said, chuckling to himself.



"Sounds like a good way to pass some time," Remy responds after tucking his gear away. "You willing to risk a few credits or is this Imperial Senate rules?" he asked with a sly grin.

Kell laughed- "Against a shark like you? Senate rules shall suffice to pass the time, I believe." he said with a sardonic smile.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
25 January 2006, 08:36 AM
"Thanks for the tip Wynn, I'll take your word about the prescription. Midnight snack? Now your making me hungry, and I left my baggie or chewies back in my duffelbag. Else i'd offer ya some." Kelvin shrugged sympathetically, nothing else he could do about it. Well, nothing that'd make the staff pleased anyways. And he seriously doubted the staff had the same sense of humor as the training sargeants back at camp. Not that he was too worried about Miykus, it was the other two he really didn't wanna cross.

Kelvin caught that certain glance from Vooko, and knew what it meant. He and Vook were pretty good at exchanging glances back when kids, it was almost like a second language for them. Well, there were those few times he or Vooko misread, Kel mused.

His attention was just about to get back to the datapad, when he heard the other two newcomers chat sabac rules. Oh, this is too good to resist
"Imperial Senate Rules? Wheres the fun in that? Hey, you guys never heard of 'Poor Mans Rules' ? Loser gets the week's task of laundry or whatever. Best played in a group, like the half dozen of us. See, it came from us having to delegate chores. And sometimes laundry was just rank, specially if someone stashed a few items for 2 weeks, poor guy."

With a grin from some of the more memorable occasions, Kelvin got back to work with the datapad. Next Entry:
Kelvin's Gear:
Arrows (10) x3, Blaster [Sporting Rifle, Drearian Defense Conglomerate 'Light Sport'], Bow, Credit Chip, Dura-Shelter [Adventure Hiker & Hunter], Grappling Spike Launcher, Knife x2, Macrobinoculars, Syntherope (20m length) [Degan Explorations], Utility Belt (Contains 3 days rations, 1x Medpac, 1x Tool kit, 1x Power pack, 1x Energy Cell, 1x Glow rod, 1x Comlink, Couple Empty Pouches),

"Hey Vook, wanna do Wynn's list? you know her longer than I have." Kelvin smiles.

On the next datapad, Kelvin wrote a letter home, starting with 'Dear Mom', and finished it with 'P.S. DOn't worry, both I and Wynn will lookk after Vook.'

Vanger Chevane
25 January 2006, 02:34 PM
"Imperial Senate Rules? Wheres the fun in that? Hey, you guys never heard of 'Poor Mans Rules' ? Loser gets the week's task of laundry or whatever. Best played in a group, like the half dozen of us. See, it came from us having to delegate chores. And sometimes laundry was just rank, specially if someone stashed a few items for 2 weeks, poor guy."
Vooko half grumbles, half jokes "Like you and your Hiking Skivvies, Sock-boy?"


"Hey Vook, wanna do Wynn's list? you know her longer than I have."
Already trying to marshal thoughts for his Journal, he replies distractedly "Aside from what I already have in my Crash Kit and some of the feminine conveniences Zarya always insisted on, I'm pretty much at a loss right now. Can ya put together some suggestions I can go over in a bit?"

Rostek
25 January 2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar &amp; Raven
His attention was just about to get back to the datapad, when he heard the other two newcomers chat sabac rules. Oh, this is too good to resist
"Imperial Senate Rules? Wheres the fun in that? Hey, you guys never heard of 'Poor Mans Rules' ? Loser gets the week's task of laundry or whatever. Best played in a group, like the half dozen of us. See, it came from us having to delegate chores. And sometimes laundry was just rank, specially if someone stashed a few items for 2 weeks, poor guy."


Kell's eyes twinkled and he barked a laugh-
"It's fun for me not to pay this shark my hard earned credits or do his business and still waste the time. Were it one of you gents, I might think otherwise, but our friend here is quite the hand at games of chance, I'm afraid." he said, removing his deck from his pocket and inserting the interferance field and randomizer program into his datapad, and setting the airport to the cards' frequency.

Donovan Morningfire
25 January 2006, 04:58 PM
"A card shark?" Remy responded to Kell's statement.

"Just becuase I happened to have a lucky streak doesn't mean I'm a pro. Granted, I've had plenty of time to brush up my rules, and it's pretty hard to pull off three consecutive Idiot's Arrays in a row without a skifter or three," Remy pauses to raise his arms as though to say Nothing up my sleeves, folks, "doesn't make me a card shark, just very lucky," Remy said, shrugging as he said the last bit.

"But seeing as how our dealer is a tad reluctant to up the ante, let's just keep it at Imperial Senate rules for the meantime," he added as an afterthought. "Unless you think you're too macho for just a friendly game of cards?" Remy added in an amused voice.

Casting a sly grin in Wynn's direction, Remy asks, "Are you sure you can't be convinced to share a few hands with us?" Have to admit, she's a lot easier to look at than the rest of this crew, and twice as much as that group on Bestine. And if the work she put into her snub is any indication, she's got quite a bit to bring to the table.

Rostek
25 January 2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Donovan Morningfire
"A card shark?" Remy responded to Kell's statement.

"Just becuase I happened to have a lucky streak doesn't mean I'm a pro. Granted, I've had plenty of time to brush up my rules, and it's pretty hard to pull off three consecutive Idiot's Arrays in a row without a skifter or three," Remy pauses to raise his arms as though to say Nothing up my sleeves, folks, "doesn't make me a card shark, just very lucky," Remy said, shrugging as he said the last bit.

Kell raised an eyebrow, not convinced-
"In my experiance, the differance between a lucky man and a shark is purely semantics, as the result for mere mortals such as myself is the same. In any case- I reinterate that offer is open to all that care to partake. I would be willing to use fracs- maybe five creds a piece total chips, five hundred pieces worth. Should make things reminicent of an actual match, if that is the experiance so desired."
"I'm sure you can forgive me- I'm saving my cash to assist in the aquiring of a Prax Blast and Smash- the wet dream of every chaos-wreaking SpecOps weapons officer. I have a former classmate on a privateer, who says he can get one, but I'll need to cover at the very least the sticker price of 6,500- probably more, which means I'm rather tightfisted at the moment out of necessity. The ordinance office is rather stingy with handing them out, since they only have a few dozen- and most of them go to the SpecForcers, for good reason. That and... well, we in the Ops tend to break our toys more often than usual." he said, shrugging.

boccelounge
25 January 2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by coldskier0320
As the entire group assembles in the room, Madine motions to a stack of datapads on a low table near the wall, "You can put all of your gear requests on those. I'll be back in fifteen minutes to retrieve the datapads, and an hour after that, you'll get as much of it as possible. After that, I suggest you get some sleep."
The Sullustan surveys the room with great intent; despite the simplicity of the arrangements, he seems to take great care studying its contents and layout.

After a time, Koss nods in grave approval, muttering to himself.
KOSS: Yes, yes... very well done...
He chooses a random bunk, stows his scant gear, and and begins updating his briefing notes on a personal datapad.


Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar &amp; Raven
Kelvin grabed a couple datapads and went to work their survival gear.

"Hey Vook, would'ya have a look at this? I had something in mind. What do you think?"...
Koss perks up at this, and strides from his bunk to peer over Kelvin's shoulder at the list.
KOSS: Hmm... yes. It is a good list! With a trek through untamed wilds looming before us, it is good to have one so experienced on the team. The "Trek Team," as it were!
He pauses for a moment, nodding approvingly...
KOSS: But, dear sir, may I ask if it is your intention that we carry all this equipment with us at all times? It is said that that a successful trek is nine-tenths preparation... but I suspect the remaining tenth may comprise being able to make it to the target! With all these items... we may not be able to stand, let alone... trek!
Koss waits for an answer; he looks mildly-- but sincerely-- worried...

[OPEN]

The Sullustan begins work on his own equipment list; it comprises mainly a large variety of crucial spare parts for the transport and the two snubfighters. This takes some time, and after finishing a rough draft, he addends a second, shorter list of personal gear. He titles it "Emergency Back-Up Parts and Materiels, Not Listed on Main List, Such As May Be Stowed Upon the Moonlight Maiden Until Such Time As They Are Needed By Trek Team Members."
Blaster Pistols (4)
Blaster Rifles (4)
Blaster Rifle, Light Repeating (1)
Blaster Cannon (1)
Power Pack (10)
Grenade, Frag (4)
Grenade, Stun (2)
Field Kit (4)
Medical Kit (1)
MedPacs (10)
Vibrodagger (4)
Comlink (4)
Credit Chip (2)
Rocket Pack (AraTech R-series or Mitronom Z-series)
Koss takes a final look over this second list, then brings back the main list of starship parts back up. After going over this, he starts to walk it over to Vooko and Wynn...


Originally posted by Rostek
Kell returns the pad and stretches out on the bed, using it as a makeshift couch.
"Anyone up for a game of sabaac?" he asks once everyone is settled in.
This gives Koss some pause, and he replies to Kell:
KOSS: Hmm... this is a tempting offer, my friend... but no; I think it best we keep our minds on the business at hand. The Major and the General seemed quite serious about this whole affair...
Koss starts off again toward the pilots, but turns once more to Kell and replies with a devilish grin:
KOSS: Please be assured, however, that I will be quite happy to relieve you of your money and valuables at a later date... and no Imperial Senate shall impede us!
Approaching Vooko and Wynn, Koss hands over the list of spare parts, and greets them with a short bow.
KOSS: Greetings, brave fighter pilots. I could not fail to notice that your ships are not of... stock configuration. First, let me commend you on your initiative, independence, and indefagitability in choosing to brave the hostile space lanes in... "experimental" craft... truly, you are beings after my own heart.

Second, I wonder if you would be so kind as to review this brief list of essential parts, supplies, tools, and materials that I have compiled. It is my intention to keep a small but well-stocked starship repair facility on board the Maiden, and I should like to know if the components listed will serve adequately with your craft...

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
25 January 2006, 10:40 PM
"Koss my good man, i've suggested as much camping gear as you've weapons!" Kelvin happily replies, "I'm just tryin to make sure everyone's gonna be cozy like a trip to the campgrounds or adventure hike."

Kelvin patted the sullusten on the shoulder, "Although, when it comes to the nitty gritty, all we really would need is the barest basic of essentials: a knife, length of rope, and a canteen of water, and maybe a flask of Jet-juice. When it comes down to that and just the shirts on our backs or less, and it may seem like a week spent in the nine Corellian hells, you can still rest assured we'll make it through it alive..."

"So, maybe some of us can divvy up your extra gear, or we'll figure out somethin.... Or all you can choose to take is a knife, some rope and a flask. But yer gonna be makin yer own shelter should it rain... You do like rain, right?"

"Either way, short of the mission goin drastically fubar... Only choice we got is what we're packin with us. Personally, I'd rather take too much and groan about it rather than cursing about needing it and not having it!" Kelvin thumbed to himself, having spoke from experiance.

Kelvin chuckled at Vooko's response about the socks, "You're never gonna forget that one are ya? Neither will mom I dont think. 'Specially that time I thought I'd do everything in one load, poured in the ALL the detergents and some cleaner too. Colors were bleached, and whites were tie-dyed. Mom was real pleased, considering day after we had to load up and go back ship-board for the new racing circuit season... But wait! You shoulda seen what happened at camp, til today I don't think the Camp Trainers are ever gonna let that one sarge live it down... I got him but good!" Kelvin whistled in mischeivious doozie of a reverie with a slight shake of his head, drew a breath, made a face and cracked in laughter like a kwoikian monkey lizard. Inbetween breaths, "Picture this - He was a Gotal and it was day before the General's Visit. His entire laundry washed with 5 gallons of degreaser, then risned & tumbled dry with a few dozen paint balls! Sargeant Pink or Polkadot Sir! Best part was, he had won the game, he was caught with a skifter falling out of his sleeve as he reached for the chips, and I got off scott free!" It took a few moments to wear off, wiping the tears from his eyes...

Calming down a bit, still taking a few breaths, "Hmm, ok, I'll see what I can come up with for Wynn..." Back on the equipment datapad entries he added Wynn's list, so the entries looked like this:


Wynn Antiles:
Blaster Pistol x1
Clothing - adventurer & hiker wear
Utility Belt x1

Kelvin's Gear:
Arrows (10) x3
Blaster [Sporting Rifle, Drearian Defense Conglomerate 'Light Sport']
Bow
Credit Chip
Grappling Spike Launcher
Knife x2
Macrobinoculars
Syntherope (20m length) [Degan Explorations]
Utility Belt (Contains 3 days rations, 1x Medpac, 1x Tool kit, 1x Power pack, 1x Energy Cell, 1x Glow rod, 1x Comlink, Couple Empty Pouches),

Further thinking, he remembered two more vital items to add to the main list for each of the group members.
Survival Gear Rev 1.b:
Per person:
Aquata Breather x1
Breath Mask x1
Camouflage Poncho x1
Comlink x1
Distress Beacon [Saladar Systems PED-21] x1
Dura-Shelter [Adventure Hiker & Hunter] x1
Electrobinoculars x1
Energy Cell x5,
Glow rod x3,
Grappling Spike Launcher x1
Medpac x3,
Ration Pack [Adventure Hiker & Hunter] x3,
Syntherope (20m length) [Degan Explorations] x1
Water Jug Filter [SurvivalGear] x1
knife x1
multi-tool x1

The last two added entries were extremely important. With a bit of rope is all a person needed to survive.

Vanger Chevane
26 January 2006, 02:58 PM
KOSS: But, dear sir, may I ask if it is your intention that we carry all this equipment with us at all times?
"Some of it will be necessary. A medpack on the ship does you no good if you're shot several klicks away. We need to pack around what will be the most necessary and/or useful. Unique items need to be spread out among us so that losing one person's gear isn't a disaster."

Thinking more about it, he starts listing things in his Datapad as he delivers the "lecture".

"Several changes of durable clothing...looking like an unfamiliar soldier is likely to gather more Official Attention than Just Another Local Yokel and Orange Flight Suits say 'Just Shoot Me Now'. Kelvin, can you round me up several meter squares of lightweight cloth suitable to make Wraps and/or bandages for just in case?

Food, or at least enough rations to get you there and back. We can't depend on the local wildlife - if we find any - being edible. Raiding local farms and such is going to have people demanding the Imps drop the hammer on us.

Some small amount of Imperial or Local Credits. Would be nice if we could buy a meal or a place to stay with Hard Cash, not looking like desperate drifters will help keep Security out of our faces...and packs.

Weaponry: We may not want to be packing more than a few or showing Gubmint-grade hardware. (indicating his pistol) With a little bit of propwork, I can make mine look like a Merr-Sonn Adventurer. An uncommon but not unusual blaster for a traveler or farmer, and only close inspection or someone very familiar with the Luxan Enforcer will tell the difference. A Stormtrooper Carbine is near-impossible to mistake for anything else. So we'll need to hide or conceal anything extraordinary to appear as Normal as reasonable.

For example, if I were some local merchant and I see a block of clearly marked Demolitions Explosive in your pack, I'm calling the Imps soon as you're safely away from me. Give it a rind, some false color & aroma, it's just a block of cheese unless someone eats a chunk or the detonator's shoved in it.

Some sort of shelter and bedroll, you Tough Guys can huddle under a blanket if you like, I prefer to put my energy into fighting the Empire not the Elements."



KOSS: Greetings, brave fighter pilots. I could not fail to notice that your ships are not of... stock configuration. First, let me commend you on your initiative, independence, and indefagitability in choosing to brave the hostile space lanes in... "experimental" craft... truly, you are beings after my own heart.

Second, I wonder if you would be so kind as to review this brief list of essential parts, supplies, tools, and materials that I have compiled. It is my intention to keep a small but well-stocked starship repair facility on board the Maiden, and I should like to know if the components listed will serve adequately with your craft...
"I know an Engineer who knows how to get more out of things than the Factory does, and enjoys the challenge of an Elegant Solution. Both designs are nice and robust, but Demise or The Broken Starship is one of the Card-chips you can get.

(looking over the list) "Pretty comprehensive on a general basis, any sort of a Machine Shop on your ship in case we need to fabricate parts or an Improvisation? I think most of what's not currently present are Snub-specific like engine parts. We could probly get a Debris Extractor or two pretty easily, but the RV-3 is a bit more exotic. Main worry is what's likely to be easily broken if we get bounced around by a mine or two. Some heavy-duty Hi-temp Cloth or Foam would really help protect what's undrneath any necessary patchwork." To Wynn "You might wanna pass this by Razzle and see if it has any recommendations for you."



"It's fun for me not to pay this shark my hard earned credits or do his business and still waste the time. Were it one of you gents, I might think otherwise, but our friend here is quite the hand at games of chance, I'm afraid."
"If there's a Casino along the way, that may be useful, but not something to rely upon."


"Just becuase I happened to have a lucky streak doesn't mean I'm a pro. Granted, I've had plenty of time to brush up my rules, and it's pretty hard to pull off three consecutive Idiot's Arrays in a row without a skifter or three, doesn't make me a card shark, just very lucky," Remy said, shrugging as he said the last bit.
Studying Remy, and this new information "Surviving a Furball in an asteroid field intact is hard, that is near impossible. Sure you have any luck left?"

Ris
27 January 2006, 09:36 AM
OOC: Sorry, this isn't one of my great ones. But I think I covered most everything.

IC:

We don't have the time to research, let alone rig up looks or sensor profiles, but is there any way we can get & overlay legit Republic IFFs so only the Imp stuff will try to kill us?"
Wynn considered this important enough to pause in describing Doc Goldie to her brother. "Good idea. You'll have to put it in our requests. If they'd brought Razzle here, I'd just get him to find it for us. I guess they'll have to pack him with my snub--but just to make sure, someone add him to the equipment list. Don't want to risk Intel just grabbing the first R-series droid they see.

"Aside from what I already have in my Crash Kit and some of the feminine conveniences Zarya always insisted on, I'm pretty much at a loss right now. Can ya put together some suggestions I can go over in a bit?"
Well, so much for that idea, he's already taken. Wynn couldn't help asking curiously, "Who's Zarya?"

Casting a sly grin in Wynn's direction, Remy asks, "Are you sure you can't be convinced to share a few hands with us?"
He's one of those charmers, I see. Well, they can be fun for a girl to be around--when you're in the mood, but I'm not tonight. Maybe post-mission. Wynn shook her head, a polite smile on her lips. "Maybe some other time. This is the first time I've had to write & I really want it ready to be sent on to the Censors before we leave on this chase." She resumed writing.
A little later Wynn closed her letter, and added the request for her personal droid and 'fighter to the equipment datapad. She didn't have a separate for her personal items. Most of those were already stowed in the snub, except for the most precious ones, in terms of sentimentality even more than credits. Her personal jewelry as well as her sidearm were in Razzle's storage area. With her attention off the letter, Wynn noticed her hunger once more. She'd seen the looks passed between Kel and Vook. She didn't know their personal "code," so to speak, but she did recognize it for what it was. And the silent communication could pertain to obtaining edible midnight snacks, she guessed. [i]Kelvin can really put away food, and he is good at finding things from what he & Vooko have been saying. She goes to the 2 "semi-cousins." "Still interested in food? I am. So where do we get it, Kelvin?"

Donovan Morningfire
27 January 2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Vanger Chevane
"If there's a Casino along the way, that may be useful, but not something to rely upon."

Studying Remy, and this new information "Surviving a Furball in an asteroid field intact is hard, that is near impossible. Sure you have any luck left?"
Remy just grinned. "What can I say? I live a charmed life. But don't worry, if it comes down to it, I've learned to make my own luck when the situation calls for it."


Originally posed by Ris
"Still interested in food? I am. So where do we get it, Kelvin?"
"Well, I could suggest a really good Twi'lek take-out joint," Remy said, before adding in a non-chalant tone, "if the Empire hadn't flattened the place about a month ago. A real shame too, their main cook made some of the best Bantha ribs this side of Breental."

"On a side note, we may want to give some serious thought as to our cover story should the mission necessitate use interacting with the locals in a less-than hostile fashion. Saying we're tourists doesn't go as with Imperials these days as it used to. I asked for some false IDs, but given the time-table, they may not be able to cook up anything beyond the basics, if that."

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
31 January 2006, 01:49 AM
"Yeah, I'll try Vook, at worst we can 'borrow' some of the local supplies if the station dosn't have any." Kelvin shrugged.


"Still interested in food? I am. So where do we get it, Kelvin?"

"Hmm, did any of them say we were quarentined here til morning or? Can we just stroll outa here and just not talk to anyone about the mission? I'd say we play the ol' 'sick routine' and bust outa here but that usually works better when those keeping us arn't on the same side... Anyone else have a reason to go for a walk? If not, then I guess we'll just have to ask and hope they allow us one last meal... As ironic as it sounds, don't it? Hopefully for some of us, it won't be our last meal."


"Well, I could suggest a really good Twi'lek take-out joint," Remy said, before adding in a non-chalant tone, "if the Empire hadn't flattened the place about a month ago. A real shame too, their main cook made some of the best Bantha ribs this side of Breental."

"Bummer, bet the place really was good. But hey! I'll bet ya never tasted anything better than Grams' H'larret's open pit roast nerf. Broiled over open flames, with her special blend of seasonins and glaze, the most decadent meal this side of the galaxy! Served outdoors, the ol' wooden bench tables, and a keg of Gramp H'larrret's ale. Forget the silverware, someone bring a guitaro, a feast to remember, enough food and drink for all of us. My mouth's just watering thinking about it, ain't yours Vook?"

"Well, if we need cover, how about we're prospective land buyers? scoutin' the area, for nerf ranchin'? or somethin?"

coldskier0320
7 February 2006, 06:38 PM
After the space of about an hour and a half, Madine and Dar'tann return, a worker droid with repulsorlift handtruck in tow. Everyone notices that the door they entered is no longer connected to a cramped hallway, but now a pristine white docking tube. Viewports in the sides show the exterior of the station: apparently, Intel was serious about keeping everyone quiet. As the droid deposited the platform, Madine spoke,

"Here is what we could fill of your order at the Quartermaster. After the Lieutenant and I leave your company, the Eripsa will depart for Chalmyron. Tommorow morning, standard time, you'll drop out of hyperspace a short jump from Chalmyron. Yes, you're aloready aboard. The Maiden and the two fighters were loaded via tractor beam during the briefing. Good luck and may the Force be with you."

At this, Miykus' face, which had been carved from stone, finally broke a tiny bit, showing worry steeped in tension, and not completely well. Suddenly she picked up her head and said,

"Excuse me, I'm feeling faint. Colonel, I trust you can conclude this last phase of the briefing, I need to get some air."

At a nod from Madine, Miykus strides quickly back into the tube without a backward glance.

With the facial expression equivalent of a shrug, Madine finishes,

"I'll address any last questions and collect any letters you've written and instructions for their sending, then you'll leave for Chalmyron. and I do suggest you get some sleep."

OOC:

In addition to personal belongings (on your character stat equipment lists), each character receives the following, in a rugged brown and green pack:

Aquata Breather x1
Breath Mask x1
Atmosphere Canister/Filter x5
Camouflage Poncho x1
Comlink x1
Sleeping Unit (resembles a sleeping bag on steroids, w/ a fully sealable sleeping chamber that connects to a breath mask as well as heating/cooling controls) x1
Electrobinoculars x1
Energy Cell x5
Glow rod x1
Grappling Spike Launcher x1
Medpac x3,
Ration Pack [Adventure Hiker & Hunter] x5
Syntherope (20m length) x1
Water Jug Filter [SurvivalGear] x1
knife x1
multi-tool x1
Empty Utility belt (attach to it whatever you like) x1

Also, the group as a whole receives:

Blaster Pistols (6)
Blaster Rifles (6)
Power Pack (18)
Grenade, Frag (12)
Grenade, Stun (6)
Medical Kit (2)
Comlink (Military-grade headset) (4)

EDIT: Also add one (1) Aratech "Jumper" Rocket Pack, with a tag attached that reads, 'be safe, have fun', and signed by the QM. Has one fuel cell.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
8 February 2006, 03:01 AM
Kelvin made a surprised face when Madine and Miykus entered with a worker droid in tow. Part from the loaded sled, part from what was behind them - wasn't the same place they entered this room from...

Miykus' face was a bit of curiosity, from stone face to something else, then excusing herself abruptly. Kelvin found it most curios as it gave him a sinking feeling about something he said was right, and filed it for later.

At Madine's request, Kelvin promptly handed over his datapad which contained the written letter home.

Though he didn't have any questions to ask- oh wait! food! "Uh sir? Would it be too much to ask to get some evening snaks or light lunch? I, Wynn, maybe couple others are kinda hungry. Its not like we can just head over to the mess hall sometime while inflight from here to there? I and ration packs seriously don't get along..."

"If I may ask, there anything wrong with the lady? The look on her face and me asking for snaks almost makes it feel you'd be handing our last meals, y'know?"

Glancing at the sled, he spots his bag & belongings, releived... He waits for Madine to leave before grabbing his stuff - slinging bag over one shoulder, bow & rifle over teh other.

"Woohoo! My lucky draws! this mission can't be all that bad." Spotting the jetpack, the tag catches his eye. Kelvin bends down and reads it, then quips out loud - "Hey Koss! I think they brought ya the wrong jetpack! Theres a tag on here that reads be safe, have fun signed by the quartermaster. Arn't the tags supposed to be for yer service number to i.d ya by? And this thing's also lacking a shiny red button on the back of it!" Kelvin cracked a grin on his face in good jest as he carried his gear, nodding Wynn over to the bunk. Kelvin was surprised Vook still hadn't told her yet... Kelvin figured he might as well...

"Maybe its a good thing we didn't try for the messhall, or we may have been going for a vac walk, and without the floatsuits" Kelvin commented with a hopeful shrug, until Wynn was close by.

Ris
8 February 2006, 05:24 AM
Wynn, who had stood up when the 2 officers entered, observed Dar'tann. The Aldaraan pilot observed the woman's reactions, but carefully concealed her opinion of them. They made her suspicious, and just the slightest bit comtemptuous. No, Dar'tann's not the least bit like my mother. And that's not here nor nor there--pay attention to Madine now that she's gone & then talk it over later with Vooko--& Radegant. There's more in that happy-go-lucky brain than some people might think.


"If I may ask, there anything wrong with the lady? The look on her face and me asking for snaks almost makes it feel you'd be handing our last meals, y'know?"
Kelvin's way of adressing the colonel confirmed Wynn's assessment of him. With her features schooled into slight shock at the hunter's over-casual manner of speaking to their superior, Wynn could intently watch Madine as he replied.


Madine finishes, "I'll address any last questions and collect any letters you've written and instructions for their sending, then you'll leave for Chalmyron. and I do suggest you get some sleep."
Wynn bends down to pick up the datapad from her bunk, and takes it to Madine. "There are 3 letters here. A quick note to Dr. Dy'nar and a letter for my old CO Capt. Guay Tel. Also one to my borther, 2nd Lt. Lord Trevor Antilles," she murmured for Madine's ears only. Wynn looked up at the colonel, a pleasant smile on her face, waiting to see any reaction to the subtle reminder of who she was.

Once Madine departed, Wynn grabbed a pack and took it off to one side to check the contents. She cast a wistful eye over at Vooko, recalling the embrace she'd gotten him into so they could discuss their concerns about Eden Base. She'd thought it would be a pleasant way to handle it, but hadn't expected her strong reaction to her new wingman. Forget it! Plenty of other cute guys in the galaxy, several of whom are conveniently located right here. Including the "semi-cuz," if he wants to get over Tia...

"Maybe its a good thing we didn't try for the messhall, or we may have been going for a vac walk, and without the floatsuits" Kelvin commented with a hopeful shrug, until Wynn was close by.
Looking up from the items on her bunk, she notices Kel. "Thanks for speaking up for my poor stomach." She indicates the bow. I wish I knew how to use one," she beings, then pauses, noting that Kel seems to haave been waiting for her. "What's on your mind, Kelvin?"
Maybe I'll get his take on our bosses, now.

coldskier0320
8 February 2006, 12:36 PM
"Uh sir? Would it be too much to ask to get some evening snaks or light lunch? I, Wynn, maybe couple others are kinda hungry. Its not like we can just head over to the mess hall sometime while inflight from here to there? I and ration packs seriously don't get along..."

"Absolutely", Madine smiles politely, "I'll have the mess prepare you all a small meal, i believe the mess is serving traladon and tubers in gravy, I'll have them send some out."


"If I may ask, there anything wrong with the lady? The look on her face and me asking for snaks almost makes it feel you'd be handing our last meals, y'know?"

"This operation and the one it's been sent to remedy have greatly taxed Lt. Dar'tann's inner reserves. She's very stressed about the whole situation, as we all are."


Wynn bends down to pick up the datapad from her bunk, and takes it to Madine. "There are 3 letters here. A quick note to Dr. Dy'nar and a letter for my old CO Capt. Guay Tel. Also one to my borther, 2nd Lt. Lord Trevor Antilles," she murmured for Madine's ears only. Wynn looked up at the colonel, a pleasant smile on her face, waiting to see any reaction to the subtle reminder of who she was.

"Understood", Madine nods gravely, "They'll be censored by this time tommorow, with the rest of the outgoing transmissions, and bundled with the information packets we send to High Command each week...figure on final arrival in about three to four days." Though he undoubtedly knows who Wynn is, he's too much of a professional to giver her any obvious preferential treatment over anyone else.

With that, Madine collects all of the other letters and leaves, heading back through the docking tube.

...

About twenty minutes later, the door again swishes open, this time, revealing a protocol droid with a reuplsor-tray. On the tray sat a large sealed bowl and six plates and utensil kits: dinner.

"You can leave all of your dishes and any leftover food in the compartment over there", the droid motions to a small compartment on the opposite side of the room, "I do hope you find the food satisfactory."

The droid ambles back down the tube and then you are alone.

Next Stop: Chalmyron.

[OOC: Feel free to RP as much as you like for the trip, let me know OOC when you're ready to move on. Also, if anyone else has anything to say to Madine, just post it here and I'll edit this post to reflect. I'd just like to get moving.]

Rostek
8 February 2006, 12:58 PM
Kell checks through the equipment and makes a note of it so that he can practice packing up his pack to determine the best distrabution of weight, and also makes notes as to the team's firepower multipliers.
Disappointed the QM didn't have a grenade launcher in stock, Kell is at least somewhat consoled by the extra ordinance.
At least we'll have a chance... unless Intel is wrong like they always are... he thought with a sigh.
He then notices the jetpack, and the accompanying note... and shudders at the thought of Koss zipping above the battlefield, screaming old holoserial theme music at the top of his lungs and dropping grenades on unfortunate groundbased personnel.
Typical QM office- don't have anything useful, but damned if they don't have the idiot toy that'll get us all killed... he thought to himself, praying that the pack's engine stays cool for the entire experiance... but deep with in his mind doubting it.


"Absolutely", Madine smiles politely, "I'll have the mess prepare you all a small meal, i believe the mess is serving traladon and tubers in gravy, I'll have them send some out."

"Sounds just lovely- " Kell muttered, adding his check to the mess list.

Vanger Chevane
8 February 2006, 02:08 PM
"I'll address any last questions and collect any letters you've written and instructions for their sending, then you'll leave for Chalmyron. and I do suggest you get some sleep."
"Republic IFFs, Decoys, EW or sensor gear would help gets us through to Dirtside, especially a matched hardpoint-pair EW and STAG set. (Checking one of the packs) Some clothes in the local average fashion are a necessity, local money and IDs would be good." He hesitates for a moment, then continues "Last I'd heard, the Imps are still painting their practice targets Flight Suit Orange..."

Ris
8 February 2006, 03:01 PM
"Absolutely", Madine smiles politely, "I'll have the mess prepare you all a small meal, i believe the mess is serving traladon and tubers in gravy, I'll have them send some out."
Wynn smiled, "Thank you sir, that will be wonderful, I'm sure. What's for dessert?"

After her wingman asks about IFF's and lcoal itmes, Wynn recalls something else. "I trust R2-Z11e was brought over along with my personal snubfighter?"

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
8 February 2006, 11:33 PM
Looking up from the items on her bunk, she notices Kel. "Thanks for speaking up for my poor stomach." She indicates the bow. I wish I knew how to use one," she beings, then pauses, noting that Kel seems to haave been waiting for her. "What's on your mind, Kelvin?"

Kelvin shrugged "No problem. Nothing worse than an empty stomach while traveling, really makes the flight seem that much longer than it is."

Wynn indicated his bow, "Knife and bow are the most basic and primitive tools and weapons ever made. They still have their uses, and not too hard to use either."

Leaning against the bunk. "Your probably wondering who's Zarya. She's Vooko's younger twin. I'm surprised that Vooko didn't mention her already. Can't really blame him I suppose, not like I 've said anything about her to anyone either. I'd just about forgotten about her, been kept busy from camp til' now. Hopefully she stayed home where its about as safe as it'll ever get while the war's still on..."

"Did you catch the look on Dar'tann's face and brisk exit? I gotta wonder what that's all about. "

Ris
9 February 2006, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar &amp; Raven
"Knife and bow are the most basic and primitive tools and weapons ever made. They still have their uses, and not too hard to use either."
Wynn nodded. "You think I can pick up the skill fast? Too bad I didn't think about this earlier--could have asked for a second bow. Probably wouldn't have been one in stock. Oh well..." The Aldaraan pilot sounds truly disappointed. "Guess I can concentrate on the knife then. Would you teach me please?"


Leaning against the bunk. "Your probably wondering who's Zarya. She's Vooko's younger twin. I'm surprised that Vooko didn't mention her already. Can't really blame him I suppose, not like I 've said anything about her to anyone either. I'd just about forgotten about her, been kept busy from camp til' now.
Wynn Antilles couldn't deny that learning this Zarya was no lover pleased her. But she was just going to take her time. As she'd observed earlier, the ratio was very much in her favor right now--and anyways, once they arrived at that damned Force-forsaken rockball, there'd be no time for dalliances. So best to just enjoy the men's company on the way in.
"A twin sister? One of my brothers & my only sister were twins. Donal & Donella, they were real good at music. They'd've been 16, no, 15 still. Drove me & Trevor crazy, and not just Pesky Younger Sibling stuff, though they were good at that too. Basic was kind of their second language--they made up their own when they were babies. Uncle Leto siad some twins did that & it wasn't a big deal, even though it was usually identicals, not fraternals. But it drove all us kids nuts & a lot of the grown-ups too. But there's little I wouldn't trade to have them right here making my life miserable..."


"...Hopefully she stayed home where its about as safe as it'll ever get while the war's still on..."
Kel, don't try to tell an Aldaraanian there's such a thing as a safe planet, But she didn't speak the words aloud. Instead, she returns to the orignal subject. "What can you show me here about your favored weapons?"


"Did you catch the look on Dar'tann's face and brisk exit? I gotta wonder what that's all about. "
"That'll be something to while away the jump-time, Kelvin. I didn't like it either--and not just because it wasn't exactly professional. I was hoping that if there was something Intel wasn't telling us, Col. Madine might look a bit uneasy, if I reminded him I have a civvy rank as well. But he's too good an operator for that. If that woman had stayed longer after 'getting sick,' she might have given a few more clues. Probably why she hit the sublights before she was out of the hangar."

She stops as the protocol droid enters with their dinner. While it's busy showing where to stow the used utensils, Wynn tells Kelvin quietly, "I'll serve our sabaac sharps &, ah, the Good Captain Koss. You get Vooko & the 3 of us can discuss it over dinner. Then we can get the others' take."

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
9 February 2006, 08:03 PM
Wynn nodded. "You think I can pick up the skill fast? Too bad I didn't think about this earlier--could have asked for a second bow. Probably wouldn't have been one in stock. Oh well..." The Aldaraan pilot sounds truly disappointed. "Guess I can concentrate on the knife then. Would you teach me please?"

Kelvin shrugged, "I don't see why not. Might have to wait til we hit dirtside, this ship or whatever it is, is kinda cramped. And if the arrow goes wide, someone might end up walking funny from gettin one in the posterior." he said with a non-serious grin.


"A twin sister? One of my brothers & my only sister were twins. Donal & Donella, they were real good at music. They'd've been 16, no, 15 still. Drove me & Trevor crazy, and not just Pesky Younger Sibling stuff, though they were good at that too. Basic was kind of their second language--they made up their own when they were babies. Uncle Leto siad some twins did that & it wasn't a big deal, even though it was usually identicals, not fraternals. But it drove all us kids nuts & a lot of the grown-ups too. But there's little I wouldn't trade to have them right here making my life miserable..."
Taken slightly aback, "Wow, I didn't know. I suppose that would've driven me up the walls too if Vook and Zarya did that. Well, if they did, I sure didn't notice anything."


Kel, don't try to tell an Aldaraanian there's such a thing as a safe planet, But she didn't speak the words aloud. Instead, she returns to the orignal subject. "What can you show me here about your favored weapons?"
Kelvin had to think for a moment, "Well, first off - theyre simple. no jams, and amunition required or is easily made. If all you have is a knife, you can hunt food, cut a shelter, and craft more weapons. A knife was Uncle H'larret's best friend, always carried one wherever he'd go. That and a multi-tool. Too bad they don't teach this in basic combat & survival."


"That'll be something to while away the jump-time, Kelvin. I didn't like it either--and not just because it wasn't exactly professional. I was hoping that if there was something Intel wasn't telling us, Col. Madine might look a bit uneasy, if I reminded him I have a civvy rank as well. But he's too good an operator for that. If that woman had stayed longer after 'getting sick,' she might have given a few more clues. Probably why she hit the sublights before she was out of the hangar."
Kelvin grinned "Well, had I a rope handy, I could've tried lasoo and tie her in place, though I'd probably looking at a set of walls muxh cozier than his by now..."


She stops as the protocol droid enters with their dinner. While it's busy showing where to stow the used utensils, Wynn tells Kelvin quietly, "I'll serve our sabaac sharps &, ah, the Good Captain Koss. You get Vooko & the 3 of us can discuss it over dinner. Then we can get the others' take."
"Sounds like a plan..." Kelvin replied, then walked over to Vooko,

"Hungry? Hope so, theres alot to chew on..." Kelvin said, hoping Vook would pickup on it being other than food...

coldskier0320
16 February 2006, 03:34 PM
"Republic IFFs, Decoys, EW or sensor gear would help gets us through to Dirtside, especially a matched hardpoint-pair EW and STAG set. (Checking one of the packs) Some clothes in the local average fashion are a necessity, local money and IDs would be good." He hesitates for a moment, then continues "Last I'd heard, the Imps are still painting their practice targets Flight Suit Orange..."

"As far as the IFF, if the Rebellion has anything like that, High Command didn't feel the need to give me any of it, so I'm afraid you'll have to do without. The decoys, and EW/STAG, I can help a little bit. Ill have the Eripsa's techs work up some hardpoint add-ons to your fighter that will be half chaff cloud launcher and half EW/STAG. That will help keep the fighter balanced for atmospheric flight. Also, if you like, Lt. Antilles, I can have decoys loaded into your proton torpedo launchers in any way you'd like."

[Open]

Madine pokes a few buttons on his datapad then adds, "As far as the local garb, scrip, and ID, there are only a few isolated settlements on this planet. We don't have any specific intelligence on these locals, other than what aerial flybys have revealed. That said, this ship's quartermaster will supply you with both simple brown cloaks and clothing as well as a set of camouflage fatigues."

Madine doesn't seem to respond to the slight joke about Imperial targets...apparently, this close to H-hour, he's just as stressed as Miykus...well maybe not quite as stressed.


"I trust R2-Z11e was brought over along with my personal snubfighter?"

"Of course, Lieutenant.", the droid is currently jacked into your prototype fighter. He'll be ready when the time comes."


About twenty minutes later, the door again swishes open, this time, revealing a protocol droid with a reuplsor-tray. On the tray sat a large sealed bowl and six plates and utensil kits: dinner.

ADD: Madine comms the Eripsa's QM requesting the neutral browns and the camo fatigues. his request is quickly honored and the QMs assistant quickly replies that the knapsacks for each person are loaded and ready to go.

OOC: Hopefully, Chalmyron before the weekend! :)

Donovan Morningfire
20 February 2006, 02:48 PM
The smell of food brought in by the serving droid takes Remy's mind off the sabaac game that apparantly isn't going to happen. Wynn's got the right idea about getting some real food before we make landfall, he mused as he took a plate and scooped some of the bowl's contents onto a plate.

As Remy leans back against a wall section, he begins pondering their cover story should such a thing be needed. I figured it was too much to ask for false identicards on such short notice, but it was worth a shot. To bad this planet's so much of a back-water; with a group this mixed playing tourist might have been an easy sell. Of course, if there's not a lot of communication between the settlements, we might be able to pose as travelers from a distant settlement, hoping to find work where the off-worlders are. Just have to hope the Imperials haven't gotten a sudden attack of good-will and upgraded the local's too far up the tech scale. Of course, stranger things have happened.

As the droid leaves, Remy clears his throat. "Like I said earlier, we're going to want a plausible cover story should our being in the back-end of the middle of nowhere come into question, especially since some of you have distinctive accents," he said, nodding in Wynn's direction.

"If this place wasn't so backwater, we might have a chance of pulling of the 'wandering tourist routine' given our diversity. Way I see it, our two best options are travelers from a distant settlement come looking for work, or posing as representives to a wealthy off-world concern. If we go with number two, there's a shipping concern that has heavy Hutt backing that I wouldn't mind using as part of our cover, since any Imperial trouble for them is good business for everyone else."

Remy pauses to eat some of the food, trying not to cringe too badly. Dear gods, did they let an auto-chef cook this stuff? I bet detonite tastes better than this slag. After a moment, he forces himself to swallow, reminding himself this might be the last bit of real food he has to eat for some time. "The other option is we completely avoid any Imperial entanglements other than those necessary to either extract or eliminate the target." He pauses again as a grin plays across his features in rememberance of a little stunt he pulled some time ago. "Of course, if we could get our hands on some Imperial uniforms while dirt-side, we might be able to pull off a variation of the 'Stormtrooper Two-Step."

Vanger Chevane
20 February 2006, 03:32 PM
The Imps don't like Hutts much either, so that could give us more problems or scrutiny than is healthy.


"Of course, if we could get our hands on some Imperial uniforms while dirt-side, we might be able to pull off a variation of the 'Stormtrooper Two-Step."
"We'd best be careful with that idea. Wynn hasn't the voice for one, I'm a bit small to fit into that Plastoid Nightmare well, and Koss..." he shuts his mouth to avoid laughing at the mental image of the Sullustan attempting to strut around in armor twice as big as he, and pompously barking out orders.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
20 February 2006, 06:49 PM
As the droid leaves, Remy clears his throat. "Like I said earlier, we're going to want a plausible cover story should our being in the back-end of the middle of nowhere come into question, especially since some of you have distinctive accents," he said, nodding in Wynn's direction. "Makes sense" Kelvin agreed

"Of course, if we could get our hands on some Imperial uniforms while dirt-side, we might be able to pull off a variation of the 'Stormtrooper Two-Step."

"Hey! I bet that'd be fun! Never did that before. And could ya imagine what a site that'd be? stormies shootin at stormies, then more stormies come and we like go point 'they're the rebel imposters!" Kelvin was grinning from ear to ear at this


"We'd best be careful with that idea. Wynn hasn't the voice for one, I'm a bit small to fit into that Plastoid Nightmare well, and Koss..."

Kelvin shrugged "Well, what if some of us pretended to be rebel prisoners? or even local prisoners that had been stirring up a rucus? Asuming we aquire some local garb...?"

coldskier0320
20 February 2006, 09:43 PM
The group talks into the night, excited despite themselves, and knowing they should be getting some sleep. Eventually, someone turns out the lights, though the collective conversation continues for a while, even in the total darkness. Then, at long last, all six Rebels lay asleep in their bunks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mornin' troopers!", a soft call awakens a few of the Rebels. A good shake rouses the rest.

"Bloody hell...", someone mutters, still waking up, "what the hell time is it?"

"Four and a half in the AM, friend.", the voice, which belongs to a young rebel officer replies cheerily, "There's a bottomless caf brewer out on the deck if I need to dangle that in front of your noses."

After several minutes of getting the kinks out, and taking turns in the tiny, cramped fresher in their room, the group finally exits their little lair to find themselves in a huge cavernous landing bay. A huge, high-ceilinged chamber, the Eripsa's main bay is an impressive sight indeed, with a magnetically sealed opening large enough to swallow up even a CEC corvette...sideways.

Just outside of their door (a carefully hidden hatch in the wall of their sleeping quarters), the group finds the promised caf dispenser, and they help themselves to steamy cups of...surprisingly tasty, full-bodied caf. Now that the blood was pumping, they notice that their room is a clever, most certainly homebrewed, contraption. A small chamber, about the size of a small bunker sits on industrial skids: a self-contained room, perfectly suited to maneuvering via tractor beam. If not for the flowy script 'Eripsa' scrawled across the back wall of the hangar, you couldn't be sure you were even on the same ship. Several meters of deck away, the Maiden, along with the two unique fighters, sat ready for the task ahead. Gleaming pale, silvery blue in the harsh deck lighting, the Moonlight Maiden looked like quicksilver, with a flame detail along her side. All in all, the old girl looked like she were the fastest Phoenix-Hawk Pinnace still in existence.

As if confirming the group's thoughts, the warrant officer pipes up, "Oh, we added our own touch to that little pinnace you're flying. There's a protected little red stud beneath the edge of the control board at the pilot's station. It activates a pair of triple force-fed turbo-impellors. They run off of their own independent Quadex power core and each TI has three baradium-isotope fuel rods."

To Kel and the other non-techies, the guy is spouting babble, but those in the know are grinning in spite of themselves. Turbo-impellor modules...on the wish-list of every hot-rodding teen from Coruscant to Tatooine, they offered drastically increased speed bursts, even at the risk of destabilizing your engine housing if not used carefully.

[OOC: Think nitrous for a ship. You've got three bursts to use that will bump your speed from 10 sq. up to 15 sq. for three rounds. After each use, there's a recommended 3 round cool-down period. There's a chance for mishap if this 3 rd. cool down is violated.]

As the group is heading for their ships, one of the hangar turbolifts hisses open, and a High Command Rep rushes out.

"Lieutenant Bigsby!", the man calls out. Undaunted, the team ignores him.

"Lieutenant Bigsby!", the man shouts again.

Finally, exasperated, he screams, "KOSS!", across the deck. Now the group as a whole stops and turns. Looking forst at the man, and second at the Sullustan.

"Yes", Koss replies uncertainly, "I am he. Or rather, I am me. And me is he who you seek. Or at least if he is me then he--"

"You're Koss?", the man asks, cutting him off.

Koss sighs, "I am."

"I'm so glad I caught you before you boarded, Arthyr. You're sitting this one out."

"Oh no, my dear friend", Koss laughs heartily, "I'm bravely going where no Sullustan has gone before, denying the Imperial Machine while raining fiery death from above! I shall restore the glory of rocket troops!"

"I have the flimsy right here, Lieutenant. Pending a short stay on Home Fleet's medical frigate, you'll be discharged, free to return to whatever you were doing before the war."

"But my place is here", Koss replies, "With these, my sworn comrades, my fellow soldiers of freedom, fighting alongside them to the death, if that's what is required, for liberty of the opressed--. And why are you calling me that other name?"

"Arthyr Bigsby?", the man asks, "Why...that's your name! I see you certainly deserve this Section Eight. Please. Come with me, don't make me call the MPs."

Koss sighs heavily, and seems to shrink in on himself. As the HC Rep leads him away, he says his goodbyes to the group,

"Be strong in my absence, dear friends. Remember everything we've shared in our days together and never lose heart! This is but a small hurdle for me, and I'll soon return to the forefront, rocketing my way into, and back out of trouble!"

As he is saying this, the Rep starts to literally push him along the way to the lift. Eventually in the lift, Koss pulls himself around the corner one last time, in an image too...unique to forget. Poking his Sullustan head one last time out of the lift, he shouts, "I shall return!", and just like that, he's gone, and it's back to work.

"Uhhhhhh...", the young warrant officer starts again, "You'll get the signal from the tower when it's time to shove off." He motions to a large control room suspended over the center of the hangar.

[OOC: Post any preperations. Next post takes us into mission proper! :D]

Rostek
20 February 2006, 11:11 PM
"Hey! I bet that'd be fun! Never did that before. And could ya imagine what a site that'd be? stormies shootin at stormies, then more stormies come and we like go point 'they're the rebel imposters!" Kelvin was grinning from ear to ear at this

Kell shuddered- now he had two of them to worry about. Thankfully, Koss had thus far been uncharacteristically quiet (at least compared to the demented chatterbox he had been on board the Maiden during the group’s trip to the base.
Could be worse… he mused, looking from his seat on the bunk out onto the assembled group.
Not that he’s serious… right? Please, please don’t be serious. the Alderaanian officer thought with a sigh.
“Probably better to stick with something more mundane.” Kell commented without tone.

Sleep, Sleep my pretties...
The Next Morning:



"Mornin' troopers!", a soft call awakens a few of the Rebels. A good shake rouses the rest.

"Bloody hell...", someone mutters, still waking up, "what the hell time is it?"

"Four and a half in the AM, friend.", the voice, which belongs to a young rebel officer replies cheerily, "There's a bottomless caf brewer out on the deck if I need to dangle that in front of your noses."

"That's First Lieutenant Trooper to you- and unless that brewer is filled with something other than that sludge these Intel types call "caf", then I'm staying here for another few hours." Kell's voice emerged, muffled, from beneath his blanket, which was pulled over his head.
After reassurance or further prodding, Kell grudgingly rolled out of his bed and gathered his things, then completed his morning ritual when it came his turn.
You'd think they would be more respectful of a man trying to take refuge in what is likely his last safe sleep in a fair while. his sleep-addled mind mused, as it's owner poured himself some caf.
Kell made a face- for regular Alliance caf, it was alright (as far as Kell was concerned, all straight caf tastes like chalk anyway), and at least didn't offend his palette too badly... but one must keep up appearances, after all.
"What a lovely transition to ration packs- throwing us into the lake instead of letting us soak our feet first." the Lieutenant deadpanned, rolling his head around to loosen up his stiff shoulders, upper back and neck muscles. Yawning and smacking his lips to eliminate the last vestages of cottonmouth, Kell proceeded to begin the loading process.



"Oh, we added our own touch to that little pinnace you're flying. There's a protected little red stud beneath the edge of the control board at the pilot's station. It activates a pair of triple force-fed turbo-impellors. They run off of their own independent Quadex power core and each TI has three baradium-isotope fuel rods."

Kell smiled widely, shaking his head with his eyes cast down- We're all going to die... he thought mournfully.
Sure- let's give the unbalanced Sullustan an afterburner-slash-bomb assembly to go with his rocket pack- why the hell not? One can't go out in public without the set, you know! Kell thought grimly, taking a deep breath and surpressing a shudder.
I suppose it would be worse without him though... so long as we can control his impulses, of course. Goodness- if he were gone, that would mean I would probably have to fly the ship! he thought with an ironic laugh.


"Lieutenant Bigsby!", the man calls out. Undaunted, the team ignores him.

"Lieutenant Bigsby!", the man shouts again.

Finally, exasperated, he screams, "KOSS!", across the deck. Now the group as a whole stops and turns. Looking forst at the man, and second at the Sullustan.

No... surely the universe can't hate me that much. Kell thought, his eyes pleading the Rep to just go away and let the crazy man stay.


"I'm so glad I caught you before you boarded, Arthyr. You're sitting this one out."
Sithspit... We're all going to die. he thought. Kell was too distracted by the gravity of his situation that he wasn't even bothered by Koss' bizarre monologues. Having a crew's pilot being transferred out without warning was an inauspicious start to a mission, that was for certain.
Oh hell... this is bad... a bad start. he thought, but resolutely began to turn back to his work once Koss bids them farewell.


"Be strong in my absence, dear friends. Remember everything we've shared in our days together and never lose heart! This is but a small hurdle for me, and I'll soon return to the forefront, rocketing my way into, and back out of trouble!"

"For some reason, I get the feeling you're probably more correct than what's good for my peace of mind." Kell muttered, but smiled and waved goodbye to their now ex-pilot. At Koss' last-minute encore finished, Kell's face once again ticced, and the new captain* of the Midnight Maiden shook his head and got back to work.
Kell looked over to Remy-
"I suppose that means we get to fly the ship, then." he droned with a sigh.
"Crazy or not- traversing the minefield will be that much harder. Still, I have confidence we can handle things, especially with our escorts." Kell added.

OOC: I figured I'd do one IC post in 24 hours, so this is once- I'll be back and at 'em at decent strength by tomarrow afternoon ;)
*Courtesy title of highest rank in field of handling the ship

Ris
21 February 2006, 01:00 PM
Lt. Antilles inwardly cringes at Kel's idea of playing Rebel prisoner, the old nightmare flashing through her mind. Her dad & his people, many of them familiar to her since babyhood, herded, hands on heads, to their deaths. But nothing of this shows in her face, as she forces herself to evaluate the idea on it's merits. "I think Remy meant masquerade as officers," she told the "cousins." "Which I could manage, since female officers tend to keep their mouths shut. If we obtained a women's uniform. I sure can't alter a man's to fit me. I never learned how to do clothes, always had a modiste for the asking," she explains sheepishly. "But our pilot is still an issue. He'd have to pose as a prisoner--and I really don't think he could play that role. Besides, I prefer to keep it simple. Let's just try playing locals."
*******
As she finally returns to her bunk, Wynn can't resist asking, "Hey, isn't anyone gonna tuck me in?"
********
Deeply asleep, without the bad dreams she'd half-feared, Wynn wakes to a hand on her shoulder. How come no one trains the wake-up call cadre not to act so cheerful? After dressing, Wynn reluctantly approaches the caf dispenser. She can't stand even the best caf, but there's nothing else to drink. She does ask the warrant officer about breakfast though.
At the sound of Wynn's voice, excited droid trills fill the hangar for a few moments.
"Hey, Razz! All ready to fly? Good!" She greets the R2 happily.
*********
A few minutes later, Wynn watches the "drama" unfold between Koss & the HC man. Looking uncertainly after them, she says to no one in particular, "Should I have a good feeling or a bad feeling about this?"

Donovan Morningfire
21 February 2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar &amp; Raven
"Hey! I bet that'd be fun! Never did that before. And could ya imagine what a site that'd be? stormies shootin at stormies, then more stormies come and we like go point 'they're the rebel imposters!" Kelvin was grinning from ear to ear at this.

Remy shook his head. "I said variation, not actually strapping on the plastic shells. Besides, it's been done to death by plenty of other hotshots. I was thinking more along the lines of Imperial Army uniforms, and a ranking officer's code cylinder if the opportunity manages. Which given how lax some Imps can be, might not be too hard to swing. And if we do go that route, then Koss just got nominated to be prisoner. Not to mention," he said while turning to look at Wynn, "your Core-World accent would be a boon."


Originally posed by Ris
As she finally returns to her bunk, Wynn can't resist asking, "Hey, isn't anyone gonna tuck me in?"
Remy grins in spite of himself. "I'm sure any of us would love to, but there'll be time for that sort of stuff after we get back in one piece."

*Queue up the next morning*

Can't say I'm sorry to see that nut-job taking a powder, Remy thinks to himself at the site of Arthyr "Koss" Bigsby being 'escorted' off before turning his attention to the Moonlight Maiden. Been a while since I've flown one of these. I just hope the techs found time to fix the lilt on the left stabilzer array while they were strapping in the boosters. Still they might come in handy if we need to make a fast getaway. Could have used something like those for that job in the Ursag system.


A few minutes later, Wynn watches the "drama" unfold between Koss & the HC man. Looking uncertainly after them, she says to no one in particular, "Should I have a good feeling or a bad feeling about this?"
"Off hand, I'd say good feeling, but that's just me," Remy retorted.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
21 February 2006, 07:05 PM
Once the last of the comments and chit-chat died off, sleep was hard for Kelvin... Too much pent up anxiety. Was always like this for him, just before heading off to a new place. He tossed and turned, to no avail. Tried thinking happy thoughts - Tia's smiling face, but that was more damper than perk. By luck he remembered back to some of his younger days, eventually nodding off...

4am Wakeup call... Kelvin coulda sworn he had barely shut his eyes few minutes ago... Groaning to himself "4 frellin A.M. in the morning?!? frak...." Kelvin seriously did not want to be waking up this early...

Doggedly, he did manage to not fall out of his bunk, and land on his feet. And just leaned his back against the wall, til the world came into focus. A few minutes in the 'fresher proved helpful, and the strong aroma of cafe...

Stepping out of the room with the others, into a hanger, it was twice already like stepping into some holo-flick -same door to a different room... Or hanger as it was this time.

Then there was the surpise removing Koss from the group. Kelvin just looked and watched.


"Should I have a good feeling or a bad feeling about this?"
"Off hand, I'd say good feeling, but that's just me," Remy retorted.Hearing Wynn & Remy, "Dunno, do we really wanna know?"

Leaning an arm on Vooko's shoulder, "Hey, now ain't that a pretty sight for sleepy eyes?" Kelvin spoke with an air of appreciation, pointing over to Vooko's and Wynn's fighters. Proud sleek blue-grey & purple-grey angles in stark contrast to the oddball shaped freighter.

Vanger Chevane
22 February 2006, 03:40 PM
As she finally returns to her bunk, Wynn can't resist asking, "Hey, isn't anyone gonna tuck me in?"
Jokingly, Vooko shoots back "To avoid a Testosterone-fueled brawl, I think we'll just leave it at 'Aren't you a bit old for that sort of thing?'."

Vooko feall asleep pretty quickly, long-trained in the habit as sleeplessness before a big event usually meant failure - or worse.



"Mornin' troopers!", a soft call awakens a few of the Rebels. A good shake rouses the rest.

"Bloody hell...", someone mutters, still waking up, "what the hell time is it?"

"Four and a half in the AM, friend.", the voice, which belongs to a young rebel officer replies cheerily, "There's a bottomless caf brewer out on the deck if I need to dangle that in front of your noses."
Vooko grumbles as he swings out of bed, "You'd think they'd include the Itenerary in the briefing.

I'll bet the Distiller has the same settings on it they use for concocting something rumored to be Antiseptic and Anaesthetic..."



"Oh, we added our own touch to that little pinnace you're flying. There's a protected little red stud beneath the edge of the control board at the pilot's station. It activates a pair of triple force-fed turbo-impellors. They run off of their own independent Quadex power core and each TI has three baradium-isotope fuel rods."
Vooko nods appreciatively "Nice little hotshot, provided you're very careful with it."

After Koss "Sidelining":
"Arthyr Bigsby? No wonder he took a pseudonym.

Well, really depends on who out of Kell or Remy has the most experience flying something like that. I think the last adventure proved Kelvin's better suited to other responsibilities."


Leaning an arm on Vooko's shoulder, "Hey, now ain't that a pretty sight for sleepy eyes?" Kelvin spoke with an air of appreciation, pointing over to Vooko's and Wynn's fighters. Proud sleek blue-grey & purple-grey angles in stark contrast to the oddball shaped freighter. Aye that. Let's hope we can bring em back in as good of shape." Leaving unspoked the comment that everyone was almost certainly sharing ...and ourselves as well.

Ris
22 February 2006, 05:43 PM
Jokingly, Vooko shoots back "To avoid a Testosterone-fueled brawl, I think we'll just leave it at 'Aren't you a bit old for that sort of thing?'."
After appropriating the blanket from the empty bunk (to join the pillow), Wynn brandishes her extra pillow at her wingman, and equally jokingly grins, "You're no fun! Hmpph!" A final "Sweet dreams, gentlemen," and she curls up under her covers, cuddling the extra pillow. She didn't care if she got razzed over the comfort item, if the guys even noticed. She, like Kelvin, was lonely. But like her wing, she had taught herself to fall asleep at almost any time.

************

"Hey, now ain't that a pretty sight for sleepy eyes?" Kelvin spoke with an air of appreciation...
"Aye that. Let's hope we can bring em back in as good of shape."

Wynn walked over to the 2 younger men, attaching her holster to the belt over her flightsuit. "Agreed on both counts," she told them warmly, "My 'Dancer's never looked so beautiful. Thanks again for helping me with her."

Vanger Chevane
23 February 2006, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Ris
Wynn walked over to the 2 younger men, attaching her holster to the belt over her flightsuit. "Agreed on both counts," she told them warmly, "My 'Dancer's never looked so beautiful. Thanks again for helping me with her."
"My pleasure. Tis good to know least two of them made it across safely, he'dve been likely the first Isk-Isk laid their grippers 'pon."

Ris
7 March 2006, 06:56 AM
"My pleasure. Tis good to know least two of them made it across safely, he'd've been likely the first Isk-Isk laid their grippers 'pon."
Wynn stays silent for long moments, pretending to study the datapad feed from Razzle, informing her that one of the torpedo tubes had been loaded with the decoys as Col. Madine had offered. Her thoughts aren't really on specs right now, but on Vooko's journal. Poor guys, they must be worried sick about their family. Cold comfort that it is, at least I know most of my loved ones are beyond any more suffering at the Empire's bloody claws... Finally, she looked both Kelvin and Vooko in the eyes. "You said 2? Who else, your sister? You must miss her. I know I miss Trevor & we're not twins--though people mistook us for them often enough. We have similar hair & were close to the same size until he started shooting up when he hit the teens. What's she like?
"When we get back, we can try to get word to them--if your lyric tenor was working on 'Dancer, he'd've been in the same place as the Stars, my last squadron, if not attached to them--so I moght be able to help. Maybe even be able to find out something about the rest of you family, even ask to have them extracted to a safe world. You 2 are serving the Alliance military, you've the right."

To lighten tings a little, Wynn eventually got the whole team together and asked about the sabacc game. "If you hadn't been playing Senate Rules, who would've taken who's credits?"
She then asked Kell, "You might have met a friend of mine at some of those clubs, Dr. Leto Janus. Older portly man. Genial with a big laugh. He was too busy to go to the clubs as much as he'd've liked, though."

?(ooc: just a bit of gabbing to get this back on page 1--so Cold can find it easier when he updates. :))

Vanger Chevane
7 March 2006, 02:03 PM
"You said 2? Who else, your sister? You must miss her. I know I miss Trevor & we're not twins--though people mistook us for them often enough. We have similar hair & were close to the same size until he started shooting up when he hit the teens. What's she like? "
"That'd be Ruuvi and his mate Hasho. Had she not made it across, there'd be a message or something from our 'Master Caf Aficianado' marking that tucked away where only Family would find it. Hasho worked Security and is a Huntress not to cross. I'm pretty confident they've made it.

As to the others I've no idea whither they're ducking down at Home or what's happened. Last I saw of Zarya she was still mid-recovery from an avian strike that led to a nasty Deadstick Landing.

By all rights that would've killed most people. It's a testament to her skill and tenacity that she'll be back to full spec at all."


"If you hadn't been playing Senate Rules, who would've taken who's credits?"
Vooko chuckles. Patting his cherished Luxan Enforcer, "That depends on how the rules are interpreted. Sometime I'll have to tell you how I got hold of this.

We've a mission to complete, and a minefield to run. Who's driving the Hawk, what's the coordination, plan, and backups?"

Rostek
7 March 2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Ris
To lighten tings a little, Wynn eventually got the whole team together and asked about the sabacc game. "If you hadn't been playing Senate Rules, who would've taken who's credits?"
She then asked Kell, "You might have met a friend of mine at some of those clubs, Dr. Leto Janus. Older portly man. Genial with a big laugh. He was too busy to go to the clubs as much as he'd've liked, though."


Kell laughed as Vooku patted his blaster- "The young snubjock is quite astute... though I daresay Remy came out the best as per usual." he said.
The Alderaanian wracked his mind at Wynn's mention- "Well... the image and a Doctor by that description does ring a bell. Of course, I was a poor student at the time, so had to generally confine myself to the lower-stakes games. I sadly was unable to ingratitiate myself with the higher stakes tables before I left for the Academy, though I had planned to rejoin the circuit once I made O-4 and was on the command track..." he said, trailing off. Everyone like as not knew exactly where such a story would lead.

Ris
8 March 2006, 06:57 AM
"That'd be Ruuvi and his mate Hasho. Had she not made it across, there'd be a message or something..."
Wynn gave her wing a conspiratorial smile. "I did take the liberty of letting Capt. Tel know in my note, that his miracle-worker & I have mutual friends. If it makes it through Censors, Guay'll pass it on."


"...Last I saw of Zarya she was still mid-recovery from an avian strike that led to a nasty Deadstick Landing.
By all rights that would've killed most people. It's a testament to her skill and tenacity that she'll be back to full spec at all."
The Aldaraan snubjock winced. Like all pilots, she knew that flying critters were a major menace iin atmospheric flight. Just such an accident had cost the life of another pilot-trainee shortly after she'd joined Shooting Stars.
But then she recalled Vooko's daring challenge of a capship, and clapped him on the back. She hoped Comm. Aklan had taken her suggestion for Vooko, all he'd replied was "I'll take it under advisement."
"Just what I'd expect of your twin after that escapade above Eden! I hope she's well and safe by now. And that's the kind of flying we're both gonna need to do. And I think we're up to it!"

She grinned at the byplay over Vooko's blaster, and patted her own gold & silver sidearm, just retrieved from Razzle while she let the others get to the caf first. Perhaps she should take an extra blaster, a more ordinary looking one, and keep this one concealed. "Nice solid weapon, Vooko."

"Well... the image and a Doctor by that description does ring a bell...though I had planned to rejoin the circuit once I made O-4 and was on the command track..." he said, trailing off. Everyone like as not knew exactly where such a story would lead.
And no one else here knew that better than Lady Cinowyn Antilles. It was just the path she was trying to avoid. "Well it's too bad you or Remy didn't get to play with him. I daresay it would have been some game. And I think maybe I will join the next game. If the offer still stands." She smiled, thinking At least once, just for you, Uncle Leto.


"We've a mission to complete, and a minefield to run. Who's driving the Hawk, what's the coordination, plan, and backups?"
"Yes, let's get this settled and get aboard our rides. Remy and Kell, sort out who's pilot & co-pilot for the Maiden. Vooko, we need callsigns. I'm Racer 1 and you're Racer 2. I think that we should do an inverted V, with Maiden at the point & our snubs ahead and a little to the sides." Wynn wanted the smaller ships to make a path for the frieghter. "Anything else we need to settle before launch?"

Vanger Chevane
8 March 2006, 01:44 PM
"I need to check what kind of detection gear I've got, but we need to work out if we're going to try and slip through the minefield quietly, and at what point we need to blast ourselves a path.

Avoiding the mines is probly the best approach, provided we don't take so long everyone knows we're there."

Ris
8 March 2006, 05:56 PM
"I would prefer quietly, too. If discretion isn't enough, let's use the chaff, then decoys, before blasting the rocks. But if blasting's what it takes, we'll have to--and hope the local Imps are asleep on duty."

coldskier0320
12 March 2006, 06:46 AM
As the trio of ships leave the gaping maw of the Eripsa's hangar bay, the escort frigate herself accelerates, and sends a plain text burst 'May the Force be with you.' to each ship, before jumping back into hyperspace. It was show time.

Closing on the planet, and running a scan, your threat analysis gear picks up one mine...then five...then twenty...then a hunred...

The software tries valiantly to plot each mine's orbit, but once you close to a certain range, the asteroids register as threats as well, and the detection gear has the electronic equivalent of a nervous breakdown, and simply labels the entire area as 'hazardous'. Still, after a moment of chewing on the numbers, the computer spits out two routes through the field. The first is a fairly stable window, leading more or less to the secondary landing site, which would put you at the mouth of a river, several days out from the target location. The second is a somewhat less reliable 'window', aimed at neither landing field, but favoring the primary site: a small valley between two peaks near the target. If landed here, you could get to the target in about a day, though it'd take about three to get back, as its all uphill.

You seem to be all alone here in orbit, and it's obvious why the Imps didnt bother to install any ground to orbit sensors: that blanket of space junk would block any and all data transmission. Still, below that, anything was possible. For now though, you were very much alone.

Vanger Chevane
13 March 2006, 01:43 PM
Making sure his transmission strength is dialed down far enough it wouldn't reach much beyond his group, "If we narrow the sensors down a bit, we may ge a better answer by limiting the clutter."

OOC: Comp use to focus the passive scan better.

coldskier0320
14 March 2006, 11:54 AM
The sensors go through several filters, adjusting frequency, resolution, and a thousand other parameters, looking for a readout that would be more helpful. Finally, One particular setting of the readout is able to give something a little more helpful: by condensing each asteroid or mine to a single point, and plotting that point's tracectory, the readout shows the planet surrounded by a halo of rings. This readout only confirms the last: there still only appears to be the same two moderately passable areas. The computer adds, however, that until the mines' detonators engage, they won't show up as an energy source. When they do, the sensors will be able to easily identify them.

Common sense tells you all, though, that by that time, it could be far too late.

Vanger Chevane
14 March 2006, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by coldskier0320
The sensors go through several filters, adjusting frequency, resolution, and a thousand other parameters, looking for a readout that would be more helpful. Finally, One particular setting of the readout is able to give something a little more helpful: by condensing each asteroid or mine to a single point, and plotting that point's tracectory, the readout shows the planet surrounded by a halo of rings. This readout only confirms the last: there still only appears to be the same two moderately passable areas. The computer adds, however, that until the mines' detonators engage, they won't show up as an energy source. When they do, the sensors will be able to easily identify them.

Common sense tells you all, though, that by that time, it could be far too late.
"Ugh. Well, looks like we've a choice of doing a fair bit of walkin, or we play Sabacc with a deck that's stacked with multiples of The Idiot, Demise, and Broken Starship with our lives and limbs as part of the wager hoping to pull that Great Parking Space from the Pot...

Anyone else have an opinion?"

Rostek
14 March 2006, 04:08 PM
Kell takes the left hand seat but yields primary piloting duties to Remy, contenting himself with monitoring the sensor readouts and navigation info.


Anyone else have an opinion?"

"Nope... looks like we'll be sticking with the original plan. So... you guys want to lead us in?" Kell replied with a sigh.

Donovan Morningfire
15 March 2006, 08:11 AM
Remy mulls over the computer readouts in regards to the mines. Tough, but not impossible. But at least this thing doesn't handle like a crate with wings and boosters strapped on to it.


Originally posted by Vanger Chevane

"Ugh. Well, looks like we've a choice of doing a fair bit of walkin, or we play Sabacc with a deck that's stacked with multiples of The Idiot, Demise, and Broken Starship with our lives and limbs as part of the wager hoping to pull that Great Parking Space from the Pot...

Anyone else have an opinion?"

Remy grins at the mention of the Grand Game. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees Kell recheck the data nervously.

"Maybe, but winning the pot is that much sweeter when the deck's stacked against you." Remy pauses a moment before adding. "But I'm sure a couple of ace fighter jocks shouldn't have too much trouble with a glorified obstacle course, and this wouldn't be the first time I've flown the needle. As for the return trip, worse comes to worse I'm sure we can 'borrow' a speeder or two for the return trip to the primary landing site."

Rostek
15 March 2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Donovan Morningfire
"Maybe, but winning the pot is that much sweeter when the deck's stacked against you." Remy pauses a moment before adding. "But I'm sure a couple of ace fighter jocks shouldn't have too much trouble with a glorified obstacle course, and this wouldn't be the first time I've flown the needle. As for the return trip, worse comes to worse I'm sure we can 'borrow' a speeder or two for the return trip to the primary landing site."

Kell grins- "True on both counts, though my recollection of primary flight training doesn't include exploding obstecals on the course. But then, it's been a while." he finishes with a wink, looking down onto the field with lessened if still very palpable apprehension.

Donovan Morningfire
16 March 2006, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Rostek
Kell grins- "True on both counts, though my recollection of primary flight training doesn't include exploding obstecals on the course. But then, it's been a while." he finishes with a wink, looking down onto the field with lessened if still very palpable apprehension.
"Then they must have had you flying the beginner courses," Remy quips. "Still, might not be a bad idea for you to keep an eye on the sensors for any sudden energy spikes. Worst case, it might be just enough of a head's up to keep us from being totally vaped. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm far from ready to cash in my chips."

OOC: Kell does an aid another on either Computer Use or Pilot to give Remy a +2 circumstance bonus to his Pilot checks. The R2s in the fighters might be able to do the same.

Ris
16 March 2006, 04:17 PM
"I'm not ready for the Final Jump either," Wynn comments. She then declares, "We're taking the short way down. We may need that extra time dirtside. Racer 2, ready to trailblaze with me?"

Once the flight down is sorted out, Wynn focuses on her flying, trusting Vooko and Remy to do the same. "May the Force be with us!"
Wynn instantly feels she's in her "Zone," noting the hazards before Razzle alerts, it seems to her. Her nearly 4 years' experience as a starfighter pilot is paying off here.

coldskier0320
18 March 2006, 01:58 PM
As the trio of Rebel ships enter the edge of the "red-zone", the respective sensor operators (Razzle, Vooko, and Kell?), must dial down the sensitivity of their sensors in order to help resolve the individual obstacles. Out here on the edge of the field (that extended down to the very edge of Chalmyron's atmosphere), the particles moved much more slowly. Most that were in visual scanning range were easily identified as chunks of gray-brown rock, in sharp and ragged shaped, continuing their long, lazy orbits around Chalmyon. But in addition to those rocks, one could also see a few green-gray mines, floating along their way. Further into the field, you can see the rocks closer to the planet cruising by at a furious pace, in order to resist Chalmyron's gravity.

Passing inside the orbits of the outermost rocks, the DERs (Dedicated Enegery Receptors) on every ship suddenly light up with a big energy signature, from the edge of the planetary horizon, then the frazzled computers automatically adjsut the sensitivity down once again, as the three craft head deeper into the field.

Wynn's intuition warned her a split second before the poodoo hit the ventilator. Only her reflexive pull on her stick saved her fighter from certain doom as an old mine erupted in front of her, raining fire and shrapnel in the area she occupied seconds before. As all three ships maneuvered evasively, shields easily shrugging off the tiny bits of hot metal peppering them, the pilots were careful not to collide with any rocks.

Still, as everyone reported that they were okay, everyone's sensors lit up, looking like a half-squadron of tiny fighters closing on them, through the rubble. A visual inspection revealed that, in their evasive maneuvering, each ship had attracted the attention of a pair of active mines. Activating at extreme range and using a primitive targeting computer to close in on their quarry.

As the fighters and transport react to this new wrinkle, they're forced dangerously close to the edges of their "safety corridor"...

(OOC: New idea: A RG1 soundtrack. Now Playing: Creedence Clearwater Revival - Travellin' Band, as an overscore. :) Tell me if you like the idea of having this. Also, if you like, I can email you the songs I'll be picking. I'm just trying to help set a mood. :))

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
18 March 2006, 06:26 PM
"Frell! Boot camp never told us about anythin like this!" Kelvin exclaimed, as the particles plinked and pinged of the hull plating... Admitedly he was more nervous than usual. It wasn't him doing any good to sit down and strapped in, so he kinda paced around, even glanced out the viewports...

Though he had a crazy idea... "Hey guys? If Koss was pulled last minute, wouldn't his gear still be loaded up? like that jet-pack? I was thinking, if we fired that thing out the airlock, wouldn't that let us know of any more unexpected surprises? or does this ship even have an airlock, let alone a vac suit for that matter? Not that i'm volunteering for anything here...."

Vanger Chevane
20 March 2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar &amp; Raven
"Frell! Boot camp never told us about anythin like this!" Kelvin exclaimed, as the particles plinked and pinged of the hull plating... Admitedly he was more nervous than usual. It wasn't him doing any good to sit down and strapped in, so he kinda paced around, even glanced out the viewports...

Though he had a crazy idea... "Hey guys? If Koss was pulled last minute, wouldn't his gear still be loaded up? like that jet-pack? I was thinking, if we fired that thing out the airlock, wouldn't that let us know of any more unexpected surprises? or does this ship even have an airlock, let alone a vac suit for that matter? Not that i'm volunteering for anything here...."
We've Decoys for that but keep toying with the idea, it may be useful yet.

If we limit the scans to smaller objects, we stand a better chance of picking up the free-floaters but missing emplacements. Means giving the rocks a sizable berth."

Spotting the Active Mines. "Sithspit, we've picked up Hunters. Bout half-dozen. I can try to draw them off and hope the ECM buggers em into missing, or we launch a decoy or two and go dark hoping they go on a Wild Wivvie Hunt. Which you want, Boss?"

Rostek
20 March 2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar &amp; Raven
Though he had a crazy idea... "Hey guys? If Koss was pulled last minute, wouldn't his gear still be loaded up? like that jet-pack? I was thinking, if we fired that thing out the airlock, wouldn't that let us know of any more unexpected surprises? or does this ship even have an airlock, let alone a vac suit for that matter? Not that i'm volunteering for anything here...."

"Yes, and I believe yes- but I ain't crazy enough to even think about trying that thing." Kell said with a laugh. "Still, that last episode was a good reminder of why we put the snub jocks on scout duty..." he added, keeping his eyes glued to the sensor board.

Ris
25 March 2006, 01:30 PM
Wynn's intuition warned her a split second before the poodoo hit the ventilator. Only her reflexive pull on her stick saved her fighter from certain doom as an old mine erupted in front of her...
Lt. Antilles and her ship dart away, Razzle's trilling and blatting commentary ringing in her ears.
"C"mon, you'd have a reason to complain if I didn't pull back! You--oh frell-it-all!" she gasped as the pips from the Hunters appeared on her HUD.

"Sithspit, we've picked up Hunters. Bout half-dozen. I can try to draw them off and hope the ECM buggers em into missing, or we launch a decoy or two and go dark hoping they go on a Wild Wivvie Hunt. Which you want, Boss?"
"Racer 2, One. Decoy & dark. Two & Maiden 6 second powerdown on my mark," Wynn's calm voice came over the comms. "Razz," she called to the droid, "arm decoy & plot a sweet trajectory away from us and just close enough to the Hunters to get their attention. I'll launch. Powerdown right after my mark."
Whe they're done, Wynn takes a deep breath, the kind her mother had taught her as a calming excercise, and launches the decoy. Even as her finger nears the control, she's on the com to Vooko and Kell. "Two, Maiden ready for powerdown--on--Mark!" Just after the firing button was depressed.

Donovan Morningfire
25 March 2006, 03:57 PM
"Racer 2, One. Decoy & dark. Two & Maiden 6 second powerdown on my mark," Wynn's calm voice came over the comms. "Razz," she called to the droid, "arm decoy & plot a sweet trajectory away from us and just close enough to the Hunters to get their attention. I'll launch. Powerdown right after my mark."

Here goes... Remy mused as he prepped for an emergency shut-down. And if she's wrong, we might not be around long enough to complain about it.



"Two, Maiden ready for powerdown--on--Mark!" Just after the firing button was depressed.
Without a word, Remy kills every high-energy output system the ship has, leaving the bare minimum for survival. It's days like these I wonder if I should have gotten into a respectable line of work. Might have been boring, but at least the odds of making it to retirement age were a lot better.

Vanger Chevane
27 March 2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Ris

"Racer 2, One. Decoy & dark. Two & Maiden 6 second powerdown on my mark," Wynn's calm voice came over the comms. "Razz," she called to the droid, "arm decoy & plot a sweet trajectory away from us and just close enough to the Hunters to get their attention. I'll launch. Powerdown right after my mark."
Whe they're done, Wynn takes a deep breath, the kind her mother had taught her as a calming excercise, and launches the decoy. Even as her finger nears the control, she's on the com to Vooko and Kell. "Two, Maiden ready for powerdown--on--Mark!" Just after the firing button was depressed.
"I copy, standing ready." After receiving and checking the course, and ensuring he was properly on it, Vooko was ever so grateful that his Family had the forsight, or experience, to incorporate a crash-shutdown and recovery menu into the system software Probably Deyff's doing... Shutting down was a simple button tap, and suddenly it was eerily dark and silent. Tracking Wynn's decoy by eye & trying to spot the Hunters, Chase it you Mikwaabs! Nothing but boring scrap over here...

As he floated in the dark, he connected a cable from his datapad to a port under the console, allowing him limited access to the main computer without producing much stray signals or power signature for anything to lock on to...Shield and Laser cells are full, good for a restart. Hmmmm...what needs to come up first, should things go wrong or right? Shields, Engines, ECM, Weapons. Rest can cycle up normally.

Then he returned his full attention to his aim, keeping a sharp eye out for any surprises that could force him to power up and avoid a Military Funeral for a while longer, one finger resting gently on the restart button.

coldskier0320
27 March 2006, 07:16 PM
As the three ships go cold, and Wynn's lone decoy streaks off into the abyss, the half-dozen active mines momentarily slow in their burns, then, for a miracle, turn toward the decoy.

Each of the six seeker mines arc toward the new, lone offender, following the shortest path necessary. One of the mines that was following the Maiden followed its arc nearly through the metallic blue ship, rattling the viewport, and depositing a healthy dose of carbon scoring on her side as she passed.

Suddenly, as the other five mines streak off after the decoy, the one that nearly hit the Maiden shudders.

It's sensing its own heat reflection! the snubjocks realize, as the finite tracking computer in the warhead struggles with its decision, all the while, splitting the angle between the decoy's vector, and the loop back to the Maiden. Finally, in digitized exasperation, the mine writhes around in utter confusion for one last moment, and detonates in a dazzling explosion. The other mines, for their part, finally close on the decoy launched my Wynn, until, in a slightly beneficial twist of fate, the decoy missile impacts dead-center on a stationary mine, which explodes, taking al of the seekers with it, and activating another pair of the mobile mines, which nosedive into the fireball and detonate as well.

As the fragments of superheated metal cool, silence reigns supreme, and the rebel team finds themselves still only about a third of the way into the field, and now, a good distance from their "corridor", thanks to the uneven drift of the field.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
31 March 2006, 12:02 AM
"Still, that last episode was a good reminder of why we put the snub jocks on scout duty..."

As Kelvin watched the bright explosions from standing by the entrance of the cockpit, "Woo! Like jumpin into the nerf-pen and all covered in chop-dust all over ya! ... Or being caught red handed with a firegnat nest... I'm just kinda glad it was it and not us... Sure hope there arn't any more of those mines out there... Don't need more than one to make a bad day for all of us eh?"

Vanger Chevane
31 March 2006, 03:02 PM
As the three ships go cold, and Wynn's lone decoy streaks off into the abyss, the half-dozen active mines momentarily slow in their burns, then, for a miracle, turn toward the decoy.

Each of the six seeker mines arc toward the new, lone offender, following the shortest path necessary. One of the mines that was following the Maiden followed its arc nearly through the metallic blue ship, rattling the viewport, and depositing a healthy dose of carbon scoring on her side as she passed.

Suddenly, as the other five mines streak off after the decoy, the one that nearly hit the Maiden shudders.
Vooko almost jumps as one of the seeker mines scrapes past. Too close. Sithspit, it's coming back! Maybe... His eyes tracking the confused Hunter very carefully, his finger tightens up on the restart switch.

Got a second, maybe two to power up & pull that thing away. Probly pick up a few more, and hafta find a way to thread through this mess way too quick.

These things are really dumb if they don't have the most basic of neutral-object-avoidance systems. Amazing they've survived this long.

After the spectacular fratricide of the mines, and the suicide of the last seeker, Vooko's head bounces around as he quickly scans areound him trying to ensure that nothing else was triggered and enroute (Spot +6).

If his check produces nothing, he sags in relief, checks his bearings, then pulls a spot-luma from his utility belt, aims it at Wynn's cockpit (and Razzle), then using a trader's Blink Code flashes out

W...E...A...R...E...O...F...F...C...O...U...R...S...E

W...H...A...T...N...O...W


B)



OOC: Force Pilot/Navigation would be super-useful right now, too bad I didn't pick up Force Sensitive as one of my leveling feats. :P

2000th Official post too! :D

Rostek
31 March 2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar &amp; Raven


As Kelvin watched the bright explosions from standing by the entrance of the cockpit, "Woo! Like jumpin into the nerf-pen and all covered in chop-dust all over ya! ... Or being caught red handed with a firegnat nest... I'm just kinda glad it was it and not us... Sure hope there arn't any more of those mines out there... Don't need more than one to make a bad day for all of us eh?"

"That would be a correct observation." Kell deadpanned. "Stang... we're off course by a fair bit. I guess we'll wait and see what our fearless snubleader has to say before we run out of air." he said with a sigh.

Ris
5 April 2006, 06:08 PM
Wynn sighed at Vooko's sign & Kell's comment. She told Razzle to blink back,
P O W E R U P T H E N S C A N
to her wingman and when he had complied, she commed the tranport and Neckbreaker.
"Racer One to Group. Let's get back on course. Two, picked up anything?" Once Vooko replies, Wynn orders him, "This time we're gonna use the chaff if we pick up trouble again. I don't want to use a decoy so soon after the last--just in case anyone's paying attention, we don't want to risk them picking up on a pattern."

Vanger Chevane
6 April 2006, 02:00 PM
Getting a response from Razzle, he triggers the restart, then quickly dials down the shield and weapons recharge to reduce his power signature, then double-checks his comm output's not going much farther than needed.


"Racer One to Group. Let's get back on course. Two, picked up anything?"
After checking carefully with the passives, "Seems clear for now. Recommend we try Low and Slow this time. Excepting the pinnace, we can yank 'em back and be out of trouble quick enough...

P'raps I should take Drag so I can decoy for Maiden should something else go wrong..."

Ris
6 April 2006, 03:24 PM
"Seems clear for now. Recommend we try Low and Slow this time. Excepting the pinnace, we can yank 'em back and be out of trouble quick enough...P'raps I should take Drag so I can decoy for Maiden should something else go wrong..."
"Low & Slow, it is, Two...permission to take Drag for the Maiden.
Wynn cautiously takes her Star Dancer ahead of the other 2 vessels, returning to the original course.

Vanger Chevane
7 April 2006, 02:03 PM
"Copy that."

Letting the pinnace slide past him he takes up his slot, and keeps a careful eye on his scanners not wanting to be blindsided like that again.

Let's hope this works, or we'll be left with charging through on full throttle...

Donovan Morningfire
9 April 2006, 02:38 PM
Remy wasn't about to let anyone know just how badly that close call with the mine had rattled him.

Now I remember why I never liked space flights, Remy groused to himself.


As Kelvin watched the bright explosions from standing by the entrance of the cockpit, "Woo! Like jumpin into the nerf-pen and all covered in chop-dust all over ya! ... Or being caught red handed with a firegnat nest... I'm just kinda glad it was it and not us... Sure hope there arn't any more of those mines out there... Don't need more than one to make a bad day for all of us eh?"

"No arguements there," Remy replied. Seeing that the snubfighters had switched their sublights back on, Remy did likewise. He stifled a curse when he saw how far off course they had drifted. Just once, just once, I wouldn't mind it if things actually went the way they're supposed to go.

"Let's see if we can keep our appointment, shall we?" Remy quipped as he followed the snubfighter's lead and headed the Maiden back to their original course.

And maybe keep from getting turned into space dust while we're at it, he added silently.

Rostek
14 April 2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Donovan Morningfire
Remy wasn't about to let anyone know just how badly that close call with the mine had rattled him.

"Let's see if we can keep our appointment, shall we?" Remy quipped as he followed the snubfighter's lead and headed the [I]Maiden back to their original course.

And maybe keep from getting turned into space dust while we're at it, he added silently.

"A capital idea, my friend..." Kell replied dryly, then entered the requisite course into the computer, which then presented itself upon Remy's computer display.
"Course laid in, pilot, steady as she goes, I think." the SpecOpser told his compatriot with a somewhat humorous drawl.

coldskier0320
14 April 2006, 09:19 AM
The three ships cautiously make their way, back through the minefield, to the edge of their former passage, match speeds with it, and continue down, toward the planet. As they creep through the "tunnel", they spot several gray-green mines, floating almost lazily among the jagged rocks. Unnervingly, their sensors fail to register anything amiss until they are practically right on top of the things...if at all.

Finally, the group reaches a point where their tunnel seems to end. Between them and the planet swirls a band of rock moving more rapidly than the rest of the field. Approaching slowly, almost hesitantly, the computers in the respective ships analyze the drift, and set up a new course to take into account the faster moving rocks.

Flipping her customized X-wing up into the last obstacle between the rebel team and their objective, Wynn expertly maneuvers her fighter down through the mess of space debris, the Maiden on her heels. Vooko, too, in his A-wing, slides in, apparently safely, behind the Maiden, bringing up the rear.

This last band of rock doesn't permit the group the luxury of slow careful movement, however, the rocks in this area are more spread out, balancing out the flying difficulty. As Wynn guides her fighter through the middle of this band of debris, a mine, fairly close to her, is tagged by her sensors. Before she can do anything about it, it locks on to her and closes in.

Expertly, Wynn throws her chaff cloud, and the space around her fighter, and the Maiden's nose, is filled with tiny bits of sensor-baffling metal flakes. The mine dips, twists, and finally impacts the side of an asteroid, fracturing it into three smaller rocks without much fanfare.

Resuming the march, Wynn's fighter finally, after what seems like years, emerges on the inner side of the asteroid belt, into a thin band of calm ad the very edges of Chalmyron's atmosphere. In fact, the area around her has a faint blue tinge...the first hints of a real sky. Suddenly, however, her calm is interrupted by a cracking explosion. The Maiden, coming in behind her, had to travel through the chaff cloud she'd deployed. Unfortunately, the chaff scrambles all sensors, without discrimination, and the Maiden's scanners neverhad a chance to warn about the stationary mine closing in from their starboard side. With a horrific thunderclap, the tiny pinnace is thrown comletely askew, bathing the entire cockpit in red light, and setting warning alarms and klaxons blaring throughout the tiny ship. (106 points of damage! Shields gone, -6 HP)

Luckily, the mine wouldn't prove fatal. It had detonated on the underside of the craft, and apparently ripping in to the custom-installed speed boost system, as bright orange flame jetted out from her ventral hull. Her paint job, regrettably, was also ruined.

Finally, Vooko, following the Maiden in, had his shields peppered by the shrapnel, but luckily, they held up as they were expected to, only letting a few small chunks glance off of his hull (shields depleted, Hull DR shrugs off remaining damage).

After this debacle, all three ships meet on the other side, banged up, but alive...though the Maiden has taken some structural damage.

Rostek
15 April 2006, 04:28 PM
Kell cursed when the ship entered the chaff field-
"What a damned nerf-brained ide-" he started, but his statement was interrupted by a massive (to Kell's ears) explosion. Needless to say- he cursed some more.
When it became clear a few moments later that he wasn't dead, Kell fumingly checked his boards- the hull was pretty smashed up, probably more than a few microfractures over the armor plating, and the engine mods were mostly toast- and the diagnostic systems were probably fried elsewhere. Crap crap crap crap crap... his mind repeated ad nauseaum.
"Alright, see if you can get this thing straightened out Remy- Kelvin... can you get a breath mask and toolkit and do an internal inspection for anthing that might kill us on a reentry attempt. I'll try to restore the shields some, so we might have a chance of surviving to touchdown. EIther way, we might need to find some alternate means of transport off-planet." Kell said, getting up and moving over to the shield control console behind the lefthand station so he could begin the restoration process. As an afterthought, he commed the snubbies-
"We're alive, but we're going to need one of you do a visual inspection of our exterior hull. Might I suggest we refrain from using chaff next time; that stuff is a double blind." he said, with bitterness creeping in with the second half of his call.

Vanger Chevane
15 April 2006, 08:19 PM
"We're alive, but we're going to need one of you do a visual inspection of our exterior hull. Might I suggest we refrain from using chaff next time; that stuff is a double blind." he said, with bitterness creeping in with the second half of his call.

Edging in carefully "Don't drop on me. Looks like the booster took most of it, I got a wee crisped from that sleeper torching the Jump Juice. I'd be set for a week were I your Painting Contractor, but I don't see anything important dangling loose.

Three, I've got flares, we can try that next time. It's getting back out that concerns me more. Run through your contol surfaces callout, I'll spot. How's yer hand at minmum power ballistic entry?

Which mark are we trying for? Close may take some hard pullouts and hugging the ground hoping we don't get spotted by some nerfherder or such."

My Neckbreaker has the fins & flectors for solid atmo control, but most ships have the control and glide path of something tween a dying avian and a chunk of duracrete without full engines and repulsors.

We don't need to come in looking any more like a target than we already have...

Ris
17 April 2006, 05:38 PM
"We're alive, but we're going to need one of you do a visual inspection of our exterior hull. Might I suggest we refrain from using chaff next time; that stuff is a double blind." he said, with bitterness creeping in with the second half of his call.
Lt. Antilles chose to ignore Kell's remarks. She had expected the chaff to be helpful to the transport, or she would never have accepted the offered payload. And she didn't care for the SpecOps man critiquing her flying decisions. He sure wouldn't care for her second-guessing him on the ground.


Which mark are we trying for? Close may take some hard pullouts and hugging the ground hoping we don't get spotted by some nerfherder or such."
"Racer 2, One. We are going for the same LZ -- unless ground-hugging's beyond Maiden. I've no worries about Dancer in that regards."

Donovan Morningfire
3 May 2006, 12:16 PM
"We can cast blame for the chaff all we like once we hit dirtside," Remy said non-chalantly in response to Kell's outburst. "In the meantime, keep your eyes glued to ship's integrity. If the hull stress starts to redline, let me know immediately. How much stress this bucket can take could mean all the difference between pretending to be debris and actually becoming it."

"As for ground-hugging, I can manage it, but not with any kind of high speed. That slight drift cost us some time, so we can't afford the lost time in going for the secondary landing sight. It's your call Lt. Antilles, but I say we aim for the primary site."

Ris
3 May 2006, 01:58 PM
"Copy, Maiden, that was my thought as well. Let's get down there."

How many more times am I going to have to repeat that? Wynn asked herself. She refrained from asking anyone on the team, however.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
3 May 2006, 03:31 PM
"Alright, see if you can get this thing straightened out Remy- Kelvin... can you get a breath mask and toolkit and do an internal inspection for anthing that might kill us on a reentry attempt. I'll try to restore the shields some, so we might have a chance of surviving to touchdown. EIther way, we might need to find some alternate means of transport off-planet."

"Yeah..... In a moment...." Kelvin replied with a sickened groan, "Soon as I can convince myself to get moving...." Despite any possible bruises, he was quite comfortable in whatever position he was laying in from being knocked around. "I'll be happy once we hit dirtside - softly as possible that is." As he began pulling himself back onto his feat, feeling the slight tinge of nausiea...


"We can cast blame for the chaff all we like once we hit dirtside," "Heh, least that gives us something else to look forward to. My vote's for giving an extra big thanks to the Imps if/when we meet up with them"

Rostek
3 May 2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Donovan Morningfire
"We can cast blame for the chaff all we like once we hit dirtside," Remy said non-chalantly in response to Kell's outburst. "In the meantime, keep your eyes glued to ship's integrity. If the hull stress starts to redline, let me know immediately. How much stress this bucket can take could mean all the difference between pretending to be debris and actually becoming it."


At the first, Kell rolled his eyes- Suck up... he thought derisively.
"Where do you think they are? " he replied in general. "As for the hull, I wouldn't recommend doing much of anything until I get the shields back up, and I sure as hell wouldn't pull any manuevers, lest we lose something." he finished, still working on the shields.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
3 May 2006, 05:00 PM
"As for the hull, I wouldn't recommend doing much of anything until I get the shields back up, and I sure as hell wouldn't pull any manuevers, lest we lose something."

"Just great. I guess I'd first better find something to tie a secure line around myself. Getting sucked out some torn breach in the hull, and doing freefal all the way down, is not the way I wanna hit dirtside" Kelvin remarks. Yeah, he wanted to be down on dirtside, but not that quickly in that order of fashion...

coldskier0320
9 May 2006, 07:43 PM
Emerging on the other side of the minefield more or less whole, the three ship element makes its way to the coordinate where they need to turn their shps over to computer control. Arriving in place, their computers chirp softly. As instructed, each craft is set to the landing protocol for the primary landing site, and they begin their descent.

The first phase of the reentry involves powered flight to get an appropriate angle and velocity. Then the computer shuts everything down (except itself and a few maneuvering thrusters) and you feel yourselves pressed into your seats, as the freefall to the planet accelerates. Soon, everyone is buffetted by currents of denser atmosphere, and before long, you see the angry orange wisps of flame framing your viewports: the spray-on coating doing its job.

The crew of the Maiden is getting along well, dealing with the jostling and jerking, when suddenly the entire ship bucks, colliding with warmer, denser air. Everyone hears a loud CLUNK! and looks at one another in trepidation.

Behind the Maiden, both fighter pilots are startled to see the last remaining speed-boost fuel tank on the Maiden finally shake free, tumbling up and out of the hole made by a mine minutes before. The oblong metal tube kicks out of the ship and tumbles, end over end, back toward the fighters.

Both Vooko and Wynn instinctively wrench their sticks to get clear, but neither craft responds.

Luckily, the tank zips through the gap between the fighters, narrowly missing Vooko's starboard hardpoint.

Then the tank, sufficiently disturbed, ignites. In a loud crack, all three ships feel a slight nudge, speeding them along, as the bright explosion's shockwave reaches them from behind.

Noone can guess how that looked to an attentive sensor operator planetside, though whatever the outcome, it couldn't have helped.

Several tense seconds later, braking thrusters fire, and the nondescript nightside of Chalmyron resolves into a rocky mountain pass. Once slowed to a sane velocity, your boards light up, and each craft executes a sucessful (if bumpy, in the Maiden's case, through no fault of the pilot) landing.

For a few seconds, the entire group, in their own ships, arecompletely silent, and only breathing can be heard on the comms. Then, one by one, people start to move again.

Vooko Zeelas pops the canopy of his A-wing, which still hasn't totally cleared up from its polarization darkening in response to the flame, and is the first member of the strike team to feel the chilly, dry breeze of Chalmyron through his hair. He begins to climb out, but from the way the metal of his fuselage is ticking as it cools, he decides to give it a minute before touching the metal. Looking over at Wynn's X-wing, he notices her nose cone is still glowing dull red in the starry, moonlit Chalmyron night.

Lt. Cinowynn Antilles completes a proper military cooldown sequence and locks down the board of her X-wing before popping her canopy (after getting a thumbs up from Razzle's atmospheric breathability test). She gets a slight chill as the night air cools her sweat-soaked neck, but eventually manages to stretch once in the confines of her seat, having received a hull temp warning from Razzle when she first moved to get out. Instead, she smiles over at Vooko, giving him a polit's thumbs up as they waited to egress.

The crew of the Moonlight Maiden sat in silence longer than either of the snubjocks. Finally, Kel unstrapped and declared, "I'm going to go get some fresh air.", heading for the boarding ramp. Soon, both of his companions followed, after closing down the board.

As the ramp opened, the three of them got a blast of cool, almost cold Chalmyron night wind full in the face. To Kel, it smelled faintly of tree sap and peat. A dry air that was either blowing a front in or out of the area. To Kell it carried no sounds out of the ordinary. Animals, if they were out there, were still too afraid to say much, but there were no noises of civilization. Remy got much the same message, though to him, it said something more along the lines of, 'Welcome to the Boonies'.

The cavalry had arrived on Chalmyron.

As Kel, Remy, and Kell descended the ramp, someone noted that while the exterior surface of the Maiden appeared gray-blue in the moonlight, the hull just beneath the exterior still gave off a faint cherry glow. Someone spat on the metal to test it and their spittle was instantly and angrily seared to oblivion, emitting an agitated buzz for a split second.

Everyone made a note not to touch the still ticking and contracting exterior.

Reaching the bottom of the ramp, the trio stepped onto the surface of Chalmyron. It was dry and rocky and crunched beneath their feet. Jagged gray-brown peaks rose in every direction except where the pass led deeper into the mountain range on one side, and a thin black strip was visible in the other direction, over a slight rise. Kel figured they were looking at trees. Looking toward the nearest peak, Kell spied a large crevice that might be big enough to hide the ships in, should the group decide it might be a good idea. Taking a few steps toward the damaged section of the ship, Remy became the first member of the group to make contact with the inhabitants of Chalmyron. As he stepped around one of the Maiden's landing struts, the pile of brown flaky rocks he was on suddenly shifted. Leaping back in surprise, the pile of rocks extended five pairs of squat, caled legs and crawled off in a serpentine motion, hiss-croaking irritably. As it left, the meter and a half long lizard still perfectly resembled the rocky terrain, though as it moved, Remy could make out a head from the rest of the body, and even spotted one beady eye beneath a brow of jagged, rock-like plates.

Welcome to Chalmyron.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
10 May 2006, 02:09 PM
Kelvin inhaled deeply drawing in the fresh unpoluted, non mechanical, non recycled air. "Now this is what fresh air is!" He happily exclaimed. It was almost perfect, save for the ticking of the cooling hulls, a grin grew across his face. "Hey, anyone remember to bring the mallows? I'll bet the hull is still hot enough to roast some! If not the Maiden's then probably the nose of Wynn's X-wing" Noting the fient red glow of it.

Kelvin didn't wait for the others to reply, walking around, he glanced at their surroundings as his eyes adjusted better to the moonlit sky.

"I think we got some trees and mountain range on over this way..." Kelvin commented

Ris
12 May 2006, 05:37 PM
Both Wynn and Razzle complained bitterly about the computer-controlled descent. Neither pilot nor droid liked having their snub flown by something else.
"Twee--squawk--chree--blat!"
"Copy, Raz, autochef software would pilot better! Oh &*^#!"
The rest of the woman's uncharacteristic curses were drowned by the R2's shrill (and equally "impolite") plaints as the booster-tank tumbled between the 2 starfighters.
"Racer 2, are you okay?" Wynn asked, hoping her voice sounded calmer over the comm than it did to her.

***
As soon as Razzle informed her the hull had cooled enough she could exit, Wynn was out of the cockpit and onto the ground. With the cool night air, she was glad for the warmth of the flightsuit.

"Hey, anyone remember to bring the mallows? I'll bet the hull is still hot enough to roast some! If not the Maiden's then probably the nose of Wynn's X-wing"
"MMM, sounds good to me, Kel -- just don't let one of the melty things get stuck onto my snub, we'd never get that stuff off! Wait, you mean you didn't bring them?"

"I think we got some trees and mountain range on over this way..." Kelvin commented
She moved closer to the outdoorsman. "Well, what's your call? do we start moving out now, or rest til morning? And should we just leave the ships out in the open?"

Rostek
12 May 2006, 06:33 PM
Kell really could have rather done without the trepidation of the reentry, but breathed a sigh of relief as they made their initial landing. Exchanging a look with Remy, Kell unbelted himself from the cockpit and got up.
"Sweet crap..." he muttered, looking at the exterior of the pinnace through the cockpit window.
Following Kelvin outside, the SpecOpser breathed in the air of the planet, and, once Remy was down as well, hocked some spittle onto the hull and winced at the result.
"That's bad... She's got the structual integrity of a cardboard box and it's hot and warping.
I don't know if we'll be able to use her for exfil, 'specially if we're expecting company. A TIE pilot's frozen spitball would knock this thing out, and that won't be improving a whole lot unless she spends a couple weeks in a repair station." Kell observed with disgust.
"In any case, boys and girls, I spotted a hidey hole over there-" he pointed to where the crevice lay. "-And I suggest we move over there. This out in the open business isn't good for our collective health." he finished. "Some slow NOS flying will cool off our hulls so we can camo-net them and get to business, as well. Other wise, we'll just be sitting here for a while doing nothing." Kell added with a shrug.
Once everyone began to return to their ships, (to move or, conversely, in order to start the camo-covering) Kell was halfway up the ramp when Remy stepped on the... thing-lizard.
"Oh..." Kell moaned. "Of course this place would be more of a hellhole than described." he muttered further.

Ris
13 May 2006, 06:00 PM
"Yes, let's not stand around. Are you proposing the shelter for us or the ships? It doesn't look big enough fpr all 3." she asked Kell. <OOC--open for Rostek>
Wynn then looked up at Razzle. "You pick up anything, little guy? Critters, people, scans?" As she waited for the droid to finish checking out whatever he could, Wynn mused, "I sure wish we could take him along. Shoulda asked for the equipment to get him in & out. Wonder if there is a big winch in the Maiden?

A few moments later, Remy scares the lizard off. She watches it slowly move off. As cool as it is up here, she's surprised it isn't even more somnolent. Wynn catches Kel Radegant's eye. "Now don't you suggest roasting that over a hot snub! And don't tell me you weren't thinking about there are probably enough reptilian flapjacks under that transport to feed us for a couple days."

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
13 May 2006, 06:17 PM
"MMM, sounds good to me, Kel -- just don't let one of the melty things get stuck onto my snub, we'd never get that stuff off! Wait, you mean you didn't bring them?"

Kelvin shrugs, "Yeah I brought'em. I was just wonderin who else brought any. Can never have enough mallows on a camping trip right?"


"In any case, boys and girls, I spotted a hidey hole over there-" he pointed to where the crevice lay. "-And I suggest we move over there. This out in the open business isn't good for our collective health."

"Sounds good to me. Though ummm... If the ship's hull was blazin hot when we landed, what's gonna be left behind after we move the ships? Singed oval area out of the norm is kinda a giveaway aint it?"


"Now don't you suggest roasting that over a hot snub! And don't tell me you weren't thinking about there are probably enough reptilian flapjacks under that transport to feed us for a couple days."

Chuckles, "Well, I don't think you have to worry about it until we run out of rations. Even then I think I could scare up a little somethin more apetizing in a forest like this."

Rostek
13 May 2006, 08:49 PM
"Do we want to stuff the fighters in there or put the Maiden down?" Kell asked. "It's smaller than it looked initially... I don't look forward to hauling most of our equipment out of there, but nor do I like leaving our only means of getting all of us and our objective out up in the reletive open. But getting down there to the ship would also be dodgy... so I think the lesser of two evils would be to put the fighters down there so we have a quick last ditch escape available... no offense to you snub pilots, of course." he continued, stroking his chin.

Donovan Morningfire
15 May 2006, 02:04 PM
Remy tried not to be too amused by how squeamish Kell was acting in regards to the lizard, or at the banter about toasting marshmallows on the hull of the Maiden. After a moment, Remy checked the skyline to make sure nothing was flying overhead while the group bantered. He knew from experience that if the Empire's tech-boys picked up anything that deviated from the norm, it wouldn't take them long to scramble a fly-by just to check out.

So far, so lucky, he mused to himself. Definitely not one of my better piloting jobs. I wonder how the Alliance tech-boys will respond when they learn we lost the booster without ever having used it.

"I agree with Kell. Worse comes to worse, the Maiden's got enough room to carry us," Remy said, adding, "'it might be a bit snug though," as he looked in Wynn's direction. "We might just want to consider picking up a new ride on the way out, as I'm not too convinced the Maiden can make another trip through that asteroid field. Of course, if this while thing ends up going down the sarlacc's throat, we might not even have to worry about that."

"Besides, a pair of snubfighters that are routinely used by the Alliance draws a lot more attention than a beat-up star tug. Not to mention that Wynn's astromech should be able to bring her ship out. So unless anyone's got a better idea, let's get these ships parked. If we're lucky, then either no anamolies came up on the Imperials' sensors or the tech-jockey was too busy goofing off to pay attention."

Ris
25 May 2006, 01:57 PM
...so I think the lesser of two evils would be to put the fighters down there so we have a quick last ditch escape available... no offense to you snub pilots, of course." he continued, stroking his chin.
"I'd prefer the snubs out of sight -- but I don't want them left if at all possible. They aren't run'o'the mill Alliance snubs. Technically, they aren't even Alliance property," Antilles pointed out. "But that's to decide on exit." She shrugged at Kell. "So how about we camo the Maiden?


"I agree with Kell. Worse comes to worse, the Maiden's got enough room to carry us," Remy said, adding, "'it might be a bit snug though," as he looked in Wynn's direction.
She caught Remy's look at her, and held it with one of her own. Which might or might not have said, "You'd like that wouldn't you?"

"I guess that settles it?" She asked after a pause, including the 2 "semi-cousins" in her question. "So let's get out the camo netting to cover the cave after we get our snubs in -- plus this one as well. We might have to use her on the way out, depending on what we find & what else is going on. And yes, Razzle can get mine up. Wonder if he can get your Neckbreaker out by remote, if needed?" she asked her wingman.

coldskier0320
28 August 2006, 10:33 AM
The group hurries in the chilly night air to get both of the fighters squeezed into the crevice, which ended up having more headroom than it first appeared, and succeed in doing so without any great incident. They also move the Maiden over next to the cliff face, draping camo netting over both the ship, and the opening of the crevice. Though a passerby on foot would probably notice the ruse, most flybys and all orbital scanning wouldn't notice a thing.

Then, good deed accomplished, the group packed up their gear, and, thanks to their Intel, headed down the rocky slope toward the dark treeline. About fifteen minutes later, they noticed the ground was no longer crunching under their feet, and soon great dark trees loomed overhead as they made their way deeper into the highland forest.

The hike was monotonous in the pre-dawn gloom, but time passed quickly as the walking was easy and the way was clear, and before long several of the forest's birds had begin chirping and the sky was noticably lighter. Once, Kelvin, walking at point held up a hand to stop. At the group froze in uncertain fear, the sound of footsteps revealed a small group of deer-like creatures in a thicket grazing on berries, powerful looking wings folded flat across their backs. The group, downwind of the creatures, passed quietly, not seeing any reason to stir up trouble, and soon found themselves safely past the thicket.

Finally, they came upon a mountain stream, working its way down to the lowlands. As the yellow-orange sun had just finished seperating itself from the horizon, Wynn decided it was as good a time as any for a break. Choosing a rocky outcropping at a bend in the stream, the group shed their packs between the rocks and drank some water, enjoying the respite: the day was rapidly growing warmer and warmer.

[OOC: Feel free to do some banter, I'll do more later. For now: Weeeeee're baaaaaaack! :D]

Donovan Morningfire
29 August 2006, 12:11 PM
"Am I the only that thinks everything is going a little too smoothly so far?" Remy asked quietly as he reclined against one of the rocks. "Not that I'm complaining mind you," he quickly added.

Ris
29 August 2006, 02:23 PM
"No, you aren't, Remy," Wynn replied as she shrugged out of her pack, then spread her poncho to stretch out on. "So let's enjoy it while it lasts -- but enjoy alertly."
As warm as it was, Wynn was glad to be wearing hiking clothes -- tee, long pants, hiking boots, longsleeved shirt and hat. Although the longsleeved shirt was lightweight, she pulled it off to cool a little more, being careful to keep the tee in place. "You have any sunscreen Kelvin? And is it possible to make a hiking stick out of the local wood?"

Rostek
29 August 2006, 04:12 PM
Kell averted his eyes as Wynn deshirted--
"A warning next time would be appriciated-- they'll take away my gentleman's badge if even any scent of impropriety should fall upon me." he deadpanned despite the grin on his face, eyes still shut and in the opposite direction-- albeit in ironic manner.

"As far as our ease of passage is concerneed: I should think that we a short respite before the hammer inevitably drops. It is more sporting for whatever forces there are in the universe when things happen that way." Kell commented, returning to normal countainence, though he kept his eyes on the ground in any case, warily watching in the unlikely case it should fall out from under them right there and then.

Donovan Morningfire
29 August 2006, 04:41 PM
Kell averted his eyes as Wynn deshirted--
"A warning next time would be appriciated-- they'll take away my gentleman's badge if even any scent of impropriety should fall upon me."

"Next time you try sarcasm, you might actually want to put a little effort into it," Remy retorted. "Besides, with that kind of talk, you're starting to sound like a born-again. One might even think you were a eunuch from that kind of talk," he added with a smirk. "Besides, she's still got a tee-shirt on, or are you the sort of bloke with a tee-shirt fetish?"

Glancing over a Wynn, Remy couldn't help but appreciate the lose of Alderann all the more, especially if that world could produce such a nice looking young woman.

Focus, you gorram fool, he mentally chided himself. Last time you let a pretty face distract you during a job, it lead to some pretty bad circumstances. If we make it back in one piece, then you can let your mind wander.

Taking Wynn's advice to remain alert, Remy's gun-hand drifted lazily towards his blaster as he eyed the sky-line. Let the gorund-pounder worry about the dirt, Remy was a might more concerned with any aerial patrols.

Rostek
29 August 2006, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Donovan Morningfire


"Next time you try sarcasm, you might actually want to put a little effort into it," Remy retorted. "Besides, with that kind of talk, you're starting to sound like a born-again. One might even think you were a eunuch from that kind of talk," he added with a smirk. "Besides, she's still got a tee-shirt on, or are you the sort of bloke with a tee-shirt fetish?"


Kell smilled smally and moved his eyes back up to Remy-- "I am out of practice, I fear; I have had little to smile at these past few years. I born again I am not-- though my mother, rest her soul, terrified me of impropriety with the opposite sex. When a woman changes clothing-- I am forced by habit and instinct to look away; I fear my mother's tongue, even from beyond the grave. So sue me, old boy." he explained with a wry chuckle.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
30 August 2006, 01:43 AM
After finding a decent spot for a break in the hike, Kelvin was content to rest his own feet. Choosing a spot by a mountain stream next to a tree trunk, Kelvin just had to stop, lean against it, just to appreciate and take it all in. No two planet was ever alike, yet each unique with nature's beauty.

It was a beautiful sight, as dawn was slowly becoming day. The sun just rising into the skyline, the first rays of sunlight, painting the whole forrest around them in a bright orangey tinted hue. The sky itself was slowly in transition, from dark blues into twilight and growing lighter. It was still cool from the night's chill, but the outdoors was fresh with the sweet scent of morning air. And it was peaceful, so far away from civilization. The stream a gentle soothing flow - could be heard if one just held one's breath for a moment's time. On this planet, it was indeed a brand new day.

Reminiscantly, Kelvin thought of home. Back on Druckenwell, the farmers would be getting up to feed the livestock. More recently at camp, the cook's hall would be busy, the perfumes of cooking food wafting through the camp. Crisped bread, Breadstacks with syrup, fried porcine strips, spiced meat sticks, Whipped Rycath eggs, and a fresh pot of coffiene brewing.


"You have any sunscreen Kelvin? And is it possible to make a hiking stick out of the local wood?"

"Hiking stick? Sure, No problem. I'll make one if I can't find one around here. Sunscreen? Yeah, I think so... I think..." Kelvin responded, while still in a personal reverie as Wynn was making herself comfortable on a choice spot, shedding some of the heavier clothing. Kelvin glanced in Wynn's direction with a smile, happy to be back in the vast outdoors, with his cousin Vook.

As Kelvin was about to dig into his backpack to look for some, it had appeared the other two guys noticed Wynn, and had to break the silence, ruining Kelvin's serene mood.

Mildly annoyed with a sigh, "Hey guys, if your weren't so pre-occupied, perhaps you'd realize and notice Wynn's doing the right thing. Its still cool now, but we'll be keeping warm soon as we start hiking again. And before it even reaches mid-day, you'll be sweating heavily if your not used to the hiking regime. These water canteens won't be lasting you very long."

Once Kelvin said his peace, he began surveying the area for a decent length of fallen tree branch, nicely aged, if not, then to go about cutting one for Wynn, himself, and anyone else who wanted one.

Rostek
30 August 2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar &amp; Raven
As Kelvin was about to dig into his backpack to look for some, it had appeared the other two guys noticed Wynn, and had to break the silence, ruining Kelvin's serene mood.

Mildly annoyed with a sigh, "Hey guys, if your weren't so pre-occupied, perhaps you'd realize and notice Wynn's doing the right thing. Its still cool now, but we'll be keeping warm soon as we start hiking again. And before it even reaches mid-day, you'll be sweating heavily if your not used to the hiking regime. These water canteens won't be lasting you very long."

"I am not yet that out of practice, I assure you, nature boy." Kell replied sweetly. "Though thank you for the reminder; surely your expertise will continue to prove helpful on our trek. I shall not require a stick, however much it would make the hike easier; I need to have both hands free to wield the rifle. That area is my contribution to this mission." the Rebel officer added more seriously. It was good, he reminded himself, that they had a survival spec here-- this place seemed inhospitable enough with him around, and Kell shuddered to think what it would be like wandering around without him.

Ris
31 August 2006, 06:04 AM
Wynn Antilles ignored Kell and Remy's comments, although it was extremely tempting to say something. But she'd been part of a fighter squadron for about 4 years, and knew better, it would only make things worse. It was too bad that there wasn't another woman on this mission. Yeah, that was so much fun -- all us snub-jockettes gabbing about Guay, Ta'sayl' and the other flyboys. If they'd only known...

Wynn left her 2 comrades to their talk, and rolled over onto her side to talk with Kelvin. "Do you think we'll see any more of the winged deer?"
She was pleased that he seemed to think she knew something about hiking. Truthfully, she hadn't been on any since she was a young girl and had forgotten most of what she'd learned. And they hadn't been difficult treks either. She did remember that water was important, as Kel reminded the others.

"...And before it even reaches mid-day, you'll be sweating heavily if your not used to the hiking regime. These water canteens won't be lasting you very long."
"How far can we follow this stream do you think? That would be easy." It sounded possible to Wynn. "If not shouldn't we drink our fill now, and then again when we get on our way?"

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
5 September 2006, 01:21 AM
"I am not yet that out of practice, I assure you, nature boy."

"Glad to hear that." Kelvin replied.

Turning his attention back to Wynn, "I'd hope to see more winged deer. I've no clue what other sorts of other local wildlife are in the area. Hunting one for supper would be ideal. Can't say i've ever hunted anything that large with wings before."

Kelvin bent down to pickup a fair length sized branch. It was well nicely weathered, dark grey, and smooth. He held onto it approvingly, then looked around for another.


"How far can we follow this stream do you think? That would be easy." It sounded possible to Wynn. "If not shouldn't we drink our fill now, and then again when we get on our way?"

"Hmmm, hard to say, " Kelvin wasn't quite sure. So he walked over to Wynn, and looked in both directions of the stream. "Well, water almost always flows to lower lands, or unless there's a large resevoir at the source - like a waterfall or underground spring. Downstream i'd guessmaybe a kilometer or two. Upstream? Maybe a waterfall..." Kelvin decided to sit down near Wynn, figuring to give his own feet a bit of a rest.

"Hey, did I ever tell ya about this one spot on Varonat? Was nicely a half hour away from camp on speederbike, and we're talking like everglades here. Well, the trees were prett tall and dense, so one would never suspect they're walking up a gradual hillside or down an incline and not see the mountain up ahead. Anyways, there was like this crescent shaped cut in the mountain, was kinda gradual than became steep. highest point made a 25 foot wall, and the entire area was surounded by bush, fauna and trees. The canopy climbed and was like a slanted ring the entire crescent. In the middle was this deep lagoon with an underwater tunnel to inside a cavern inside the mountain. Right where this waterfall was flowing down. I'm telling you, the whole area was like a slice of paradise. You'd never spot it from air, the canopy secluded it that well. And the sunlight was like in rays of light that shone through the fauna all the time until sundown. I used to love spending entire days there, on the weekends."

Ris
6 September 2006, 04:06 PM
Wynn smiled at the description of that valley. "It sounds lovely, Kel. I've always loved waterfalls. One of my earliest memories is the garden off my mother's private chambers -- the fountain was a miniature replica of the Wiuthu Falls, the most famous on Aldaraan." Rather than dwell on memories that would quickly sadden her, she describes another favorite fall. " I read a very old legend once, a classic quest. In one chapter there was this wonderful hidden base in a cave. There was a waterfall that captured the colors of the planet's setting sun every evening, and the light of the full moon as well. The captain of the soldiers named it Window of the Sunset. He was well-read as well as very brave."

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
6 September 2006, 05:22 PM
Kelvin sat there, listining in interest, "Wow..." he finaly said. With that he decided to lean back, and res his head on his arms. "Y'know, if we weren't on a mission, dangerous one at that, all we're missing is a drawn tent, and a campfire. And nothing else but the great outdoors and time itself."

Donovan Morningfire
7 September 2006, 03:55 AM
Remy just smirked at how much Wynn and Kelvin were enjoying the so-called 'great outdoors' as he shrugged off his overcoat.

"You can keep your tents and campfires Kelvin," Remy said. "Guess I'm too much of city boy. At least there, the only predators you have to worry about at the two-legged variety, and most of them are more interested in your wallet."

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
8 September 2006, 04:01 AM
Chuckling in response to Remy's preferance, "Likewise. I'd rather deal with a critter or two, of most times could be avoided entirely by a little ingeniuty beforehand. And they're by far easier to spot than those of our own 2 legged kind."

"See, most animals are either minding their own business when you disturb them, or they're foraging for food. Where as with us people type, its not always money that they'll prey on. Wear a new nerf-leather jacket, have a good looking gal with you, or simply because theres one of you and a group of them... If i'm more at home in the wild, theres a good reason for it. Before Vooko and I joined this rebelion, before the Empire closed down most of the galactic race tracks, our mom's racing team- team Tancredi. We used to race at all the circuits, went to all the starports, and then some..."

Rostek
8 September 2006, 09:57 AM
Kell chuckled ironically at the discussion: "I had about as much outside as I could handle for a while on Hoth..." he added, "still, this is rather nice for outside-- though we haven't met much of the local wildlife, or at least the unfriendly kind. Those fellows can change one's outlook pretty fast."

Ris
10 September 2006, 06:35 PM
Wynn Antilles slowly got to her feet and stretched. She could have happily stayed right there for hours enjoying the beautiful riverbank and listening to the men debating whether animal or sentient predators were more fearsome. But they had a mission to complete. "Isn't it time we head on our way, gentlemen?" she asked.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
10 September 2006, 07:04 PM
"I don't see why not. Sure, lets get a move on. While its still early in the morning, we can get alot of ground covered before the afternoon sets in where it'll likely get hotter and slow our pace down."

Kelvin got to his feet, testing the walking stick's strength - which seemed adequate.

"Everyone onwards then?"

coldskier0320
10 September 2006, 08:14 PM
As the group continues on through the forest, they find that the small stream more or less parallels their course, and rather than cross the ever-widening creek, they decide it's more effective to just follow a bank, ensuring it follows their course close enough via their personal navigation computers. Thankfully, it does, and they continue on along it through the afternoon. They see several more herds (packs?) of winged-deer, as well as several other kinds of animals, including foot-long caterpillars that fled from them anytime they were encountered, a flock of green-brown birds that seemed to prefer running to flying as they disappeared into the forest around them, and yet another of the rock lizards, this one with a gray skin that matched the local rock, and a healthy population of moss covering his (or her?) back. Once again, the method of discovery was accidental, as Vooko literally walked overtop the creature before it stood with an irritable groan and lumbered away, snagging a centipede form the undergrowth as it went with a two-foot prehensile tongue.

At some point in the mid afternoon, Kel happens to brush against the cut top of his green walking stick. Within moments a painful burning sensation fills the spot he made contact with the cut branch, and the skin there turns pink almost instantly. When they check out the rest of the groups' sticks, they find that the green ones are all form the same plant (judging by bark, smell, etc.), and discard them, in favor of dead sticks, that serve their purposes just as well.

As they continue on, the oppresive heat of the day is lifted by a gentle breeze. While, at first, everyone appreciates it, it soon turns into concern, as the breeze whips itself into a frenzy of a wind, sending little swirls of leaves and dust circling around the group's feet. Finally, after a few more miles of hiking, the weather's ruse is up, and the late afternoon gives way to an early evening as dark clouds blow in, and the first sentry drops of a cold, angry rain blow in to challenge the hikers.

Across the stream lies the rocky cliff face that has been their cross-stream view for the past several hours. To their left, the ground angles away on a fairly even level, with the soft, peaty ground occasionally broken up by a thick patch of thorny bushes.

As the rain intensifies from a sprinkle to a drizzle, Kel begins to look for a sheltered spot to set up camp. He notices some fizzures in the rocks that might make a good shelter, though Vooko cautions him with the concern that, should an imperial patrol happen upon them, they'd have nowhere to go but up. A dangerous twenty foot vertical climb that would almost certainly require a rope system. Still, the group has seen no sign of Imperials all day, and with the rain rapidly intensifying, they know they'll have to think of something fast.

Finally, the reason for seeing all the animal life makes sense: they knew about the coming weather, and wanted to get their foraging out of the way before it came.

Ris
11 September 2006, 11:02 AM
Wynn couldn't help giggling a little at the spectacle of her wingman, one foot off the ground in mid-step as the big lizard grumbled at him & went looking for a rock not surrounded by clumsy bipeds. It was easy to forget they were on a mission, to imagine the 5 of them were just hiking for pleasure, with the gurgling stream and the wonderful breeze. Even Kel's mishap with the mildly caustic sap from their sticks was the kind of thing that might occur hiking. Wynn had to keep reminding herself why they were here.

But the breeze changed to a real wind, tangling Wynn's hair even though it wasn't too long. "Wish I'd worn a headscarf but this would've probably blown it off, fast as the clouds are moving in." She didn't have time to ask Kel about likely shelter when the first drops hit her.

While she shared Vooko's concern, she didn't see any better option than the rock fissures. "Unless we want to hunker amongst those thron-bushes. Most of these ponchos will double as timy shelters. Or we could keep going through this for a short while to see if there's something better. But I doubt a patrol's gonna be out in this unless they know there's someone out here. I think if they'd noticed our descent & decided it was anything other than just-1-more-meteor they would have been out hours ago & we would have heard some sign of a patrol in the distance long before the weather turned."

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
15 September 2006, 01:31 PM
After the lizard incident, and the reaction from the sap... Both were mild, and such was to be expected when traversing a jungle on a totally new planet. Kelvin had his fair shares of more 'interesting' encounters back on Varonat the first few months there.


While she shared Vooko's concern, she didn't see any better option than the rock fissures. "Unless we want to hunker amongst those thron-bushes. Most of these ponchos will double as timy shelters. Or we could keep going through this for a short while to see if there's something better. But I doubt a patrol's gonna be out in this unless they know there's someone out here. I think if they'd noticed our descent & decided it was anything other than just-1-more-meteor they would have been out hours ago & we would have heard some sign of a patrol in the distance long before the weather turned."

"Well, if those bushes weren't thorny that might be an option. Wouldn't be good to get all scratched up to find out differently."

Kelvin looked around, and up at the fissures again, and thought for a moment, "We could still look around, but if we find nothing, then coming back here - assuming we can still find our way back here if the storm gets any worse. Nothing like being trapped out in the open, and I really don't like the look of those clouds - especially the wind that came with it. Were it just rain, heck we could simply wait it out or continue walking, with pnchos..."

"Those rocks could offer some shelter, and we could keep warm bunching close together.... Although, I did bring along a dura-shelter incase it starts hailing or something. We could also tie our ponchos together and cover the durashelter to make it less obvious. Since we've a long hike yet ahead of us, i'd prefer we all keep warm and dry for the most part."

Rostek
15 September 2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar &amp; Raven

"Those rocks could offer some shelter, and we could keep warm bunching close together.... Although, I did bring along a dura-shelter incase it starts hailing or something. We could also tie our ponchos together and cover the durashelter to make it less obvious. Since we've a long hike yet ahead of us, i'd prefer we all keep warm and dry for the most part."

Kell nodded-- "I concur; the rocks offer a more defensible position as well. I'll let those with more experience determine the precise set-up of the tents, though." he said approvingly to Kelvin.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
15 September 2006, 02:43 PM
Kell nodded-- "I concur; the rocks offer a more defensible position as well. I'll let those with more experience determine the precise set-up of the tents, though." he said approvingly to Kelvin.

"Well, then lets get the shelters setup near the rocks. Normally these ultralight portables only take one person to setup but with these winds a second pair or two of hands will be needed to hold it down. We'll only get more drenched as we stand around." Kelvin guestured to the rocks, and slung off his backpack to dig out the folded shelter, which was about the size of a bedroll or smaller.

Ris
16 September 2006, 06:00 PM
"I think you're the only one with a real shelter, we'll have to make do with ponchos & sleep-sacs. Unless those cracks are small caves & aren't occupied by anything bigger & sharper-toothed than us," Wynn told Kel. "Soon as we're off this dirtball, Kelvin, I'm gonna pay you to scrounge one of those for me & then I'm gonna tuck it into my Dancer's cubby." Wynn shivered a bit as the raindrops seemed to be getting colder. "Oh, well, be warmer than standing here, eh, Remy?" The pilot turned to the other man, who had remained silent. Funny she hadn't figured him for the quiet type.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
17 September 2006, 03:22 AM
"I think you're the only one with a real shelter, we'll have to make do with ponchos & sleep-sacs. Unless those cracks are small caves & aren't occupied by anything bigger & sharper-toothed than us," Wynn told Kel. "Soon as we're off this dirtball, Kelvin, I'm gonna pay you to scrounge one of those for me & then I'm gonna tuck it into my Dancer's cubby." Wynn shivered a bit as the raindrops seemed to be getting colder. "Oh, well, be warmer than standing here, eh, Remy?" The pilot turned to the other man, who had remained silent. Funny she hadn't figured him for the quiet type.

And suddenly Kelvin felt totally sheepish, only realizing now he was the only one who had a durashelter. Heck, it was in his dufflebag from camp yet. The things were so handy he thought they were part of standard issue personal gear. Even a bit surprised that it wasn't part of snubbie stowage / survival gear. Heck knows what sorts of outdoor environments pilots would get exposed to if bailed out and awaiting pickup. Yeah, Search & Rescue was one of the essential survival courses taught at camp, which included several mission simulated combat games.

As the rain kept coming down, growing in intensity and chill, Kelvin looked at Vooko, who in turn was looking back at him. Only thing missing was mom or Aunt Hlarret standing here giving Kel one of her lectures. Vooko knew it too, with that unspoken uh-huh.

So Kelvin did what he did best, and improvised, turning back to Wynn, "Don't need to pay me to scrounge for a tent for you. Take this one if you like." Kelvin offered with a smile.

"Now where'd I put that roll of engine tape?" Vooko asked out of Kelvin's earshot, due to the sounds of oncoming storm as he had a thoughtful expression on his face, as he unshoulded his pack and began digging through it...

>zeeeek!< And Kelvin turned around, to see Vooko using a roll of engine tape to tighten up his poncho more flutter resistant. With roll still in hand, Vooko simply said with a shrug "What?"

:edit: Vooko edited in by yours truly Vanger Chevane, over yim... ;)

Donovan Morningfire
17 September 2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Ris
Wynn shivered a bit as the raindrops seemed to be getting colder. "Oh, well, be warmer than standing here, eh, Remy?"
"Yeah, it would," Remy answered a bit absent-mindedly. He hated the fact of being practically sealed into the rock outcropping with no easy way out. Always have a back-up plan for your back-up plan was a smuggler's motto, and even if Remy wasn't a smuggler, it was still a sound plan. But right now there wasn't even a back-up plan to the main plan. But from half the stories he heard before signing up with them, that was pretty much modus operandi for the Rebellion.

Pulling his pack off his shoulders, Remy headed towards the rock fissures. "Kelvin's right, let's get under something that can pass for shelter before we're throughly drenched. I'm figuring if the Imperials noticed us coming down, we would've had company by now. And as long as we stay inconspicuous, any routine patrols that fly overhead shouldn't be a worry."

Ris
17 September 2006, 05:06 PM
So Kelvin did what he did best, and improvised, turning back to Wynn, "Don't need to pay me to scrounge for a tent for you. Take this one if you like." Kelvin offered with a smile.
Wynn smiled back at him. "No, I'll be fine with the poncho. You're sweet to offer, but I'm just one of the guys on this one. And maybe there is a cozy cave?"

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
17 September 2006, 10:24 PM
Pulling his pack off his shoulders, Remy headed towards the rock fissures. "Kelvin's right, let's get under something that can pass for shelter before we're throughly drenched. I'm figuring if the Imperials noticed us coming down, we would've had company by now. And as long as we stay inconspicuous, any routine patrols that fly overhead shouldn't be a worry."

"Yeah thats main priority right now, and can possibly hide far enough into the fissures between the rocks which should conceal our cover well enough - even on a clear day. Could possibly even smear some wet dirt/mud/foilage onto these things to help look more natural in the rocks... All sorts of stuff grow where theres shade and soil."


Wynn smiled back at him. "No, I'll be fine with the poncho. You're sweet to offer, but I'm just one of the guys on this one. And maybe there is a cozy cave?"

"Alrighty! I might as well stow it away and join the rest of you. Fair's fair right? Besides, never know if this storm gets worse and we end up slicing it apart to provide with a better improvised shelter that could benifit us all. Out in the wilderness here, as long as you've got a cutting tool, some rope or adhesive tape, a bit of ingenuity, and some spare material, its quite interesting how well a single person or group of individuals could make do with and survive." Kelvin said, indicating to Vooko's tape-job.

"Hey! now theres an idea! maybe under all this mound of rock theres a habbitable crawlspace , would be kinda cool, and good if the storm takes all evening to weather itself out..."

Kelvin puts back the folded dura-shelter, and digs out the poncho to put on.

coldskier0320
18 September 2006, 02:50 PM
As the group picks their way down the bank to the stream, each one feels a definite nasty chill in the air. A long low rumble of thunder puncrtuates this. Scrabbling across the rocky streambed and up the bank on the other side, they notice another, smaller path on this side of the little creek. While the trail they'd seen on the other side was paved with the same peat as the rest of the forest, this little path was bare rock, the same color as the cliff.

The first person across was Vooko. He takes one last stretch in the open, then ducks into the crevice they'd spotted from the other side, even as Wynn ducks in behind him. Though the opening to the crevice is a tight squeeze with a pack on, both pilots make it with little difficulty, as Kell comes to the opening, with Remy just crossing the stream and Kel in the rear, covering the groups' collective tracks.

The narrow, high ceilinged chamber in the rock wall is surprisingly dry, and the rocks have seemed to absorb some of the day's heat, resulting in a pleasant warmness in the cozy, but at the same time spacious chamber. A rock shelf near the back is shrouded in darkness and appears to lead to a passage deeper into the rock and the floor is littered in dry twigs and leaves, but very little honest to goodness dirt.

As the rest of the group works their way into the entry Kell's eye notices something...

Before he has a chance to react, however, a large silvery head, about the size of an MSE-6 droid flies out of the darkness in the back of the room, baring several rows of glistening, needle-like teeth. While Kell dodges out of instinct, it's also clear that the animal's attack was a warning strike, not intending to hit anyone, just showing off an impressive, silvery serpentine body and a row of neck frills on each side of its head, which looks vaguely like a streamlined metallic rancor head, though quite a bit smaller.

After its initial challenge to the intruders, the thing has disappeared back into the shadows , though occasionally, someone hears a dry scratching, no doubt caused by silvery scale on dry gray rock, from somewhere in the tiny space.

OOC: For combat purposes, though you know its there somewhere, you're all still considered flat-footed (though Kel still retains his Dex bonus to defense). however, combat isn't necessarily a must in the situation. Also keep in mind you have yet to see the entire animal...or eliminate the possibility of it having a few roommates.

Rostek
19 September 2006, 12:53 PM
Kell cursed loudly and dropped to his knees and tried to bring his rifle up.
"Somebody get a glowtorch on the back of that cave, if you please-- or a luma!" he shouted eyes darting about the cave, searching for the creature. "I'll have us covered," he added, trying to at least provide some semblance of assurance to the others.
Typical... the Rebel officer thought, This planet's fauna certainly tends toward the "Surprise!" factor, doesn't it. What are they hiding from, I wonder. he mused nervously.

Donovan Morningfire
19 September 2006, 02:02 PM
"No need to shout Kell, we can hear you just fine," Remy snarked, "as well as whatever else is in here."

Managing to reach into his pack, Remy pulls out a glowrod, his free hand drifting down to his blaster out of habit. "And you guys wondered why I'm not a big fan of the great outdoors. I guess we might as well met the rest of the neighbors..."

coldskier0320
19 September 2006, 02:54 PM
Remy flips on the glowrod and illuminates the back of the cave to find...

...nothing.

Though you know better, the cave appears to be totally deserted. As the others find their lights, the closest anyone came to contact was when a slight rustle drew all their lights to the passage in the back.

At first, it looked empty, but then, almost abruptly, everyone noticed the pair of beady black eyes peering out from the meter round opening. Behind this, Vooko, the closest to the opening, spies a small pile of oblong silver objects: eggs.

As silence falls over the small cave, the group can hear the dry, agitated hissing from the reptile across the room...

Ris
19 September 2006, 03:56 PM
Wynn tries to step back at the renewed hissing, and backs right into Remy. "Sorry, Rem -- Oh! My!" she gasps at the glitter of eyes in the luma-beams. And shrinks against Marsden.
Calming herself, she murmurs, "Why it's a mother, that's all. Kel, if we stay back away from her tunnel, do you think she might see we don't care about the eggs & leave us alone? Or would food work on a broody reptile?"

Rostek
19 September 2006, 03:59 PM
"No need to shout Kell, we can hear you just fine,"

"Smartass..." Kell mutteres quietly, irritated but preoccupied with something a tad more important.
"It appears as though Mommy-Creepy-Cave-Beast is not keen on having company over." he commented drily. "So, do we want to go back outside and give it a go with our survival gear, or shall we brave the possible wrath of the creature of indeterminate danger, assuming attempts to pacify it aren't fruitfull?" he asked, not especially caring which. The survival bag would prevent quick response in an attack, but the angry mother creature could be poisonous... or worse. Neither option was particularly appealing, so hopefully the Nature Boy could provide a means of soothing for their would-be roomie.
"If we stay here, might I suggest that we stay near the opening?" Kell added as he let the others mull their options.


EDIT: Ris posted while I wrote, so I felt it necessary to qualify a statement.

Ris
24 September 2006, 05:26 PM
"Well, whichever we do, we need to do it. I think the rain's harder now," Wynn grumbled. "And it seems like that last stop was too long ago," she added.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
24 September 2006, 11:26 PM
Though a little surprised as he was the last one in so he just caught the tail end of the surprise. The cave's resident inhabitor. And a nest...

"Yeah, I think we could try food. I've got some chewies I could try, what about anyone else?"

"I think we'd better try stay inside though. Even if it is closer to the entrance. At worst, we could still take care of it, should it pose a problem. Suppose it'll also depend how long we're gonna be holed up here."

Donovan Morningfire
25 September 2006, 02:12 PM
Remy hadn't expected Wynn to jump back in surprise, much less bump in to him as she did so.

Any other time or place, I'd probably be more appreciative, Remy thought to himself.


"Well, whichever we do, we need to do it. I think the rain's harder now," Wynn grumbled. "And it seems like that last stop was too long ago," she added.

"Agreed. I'm not looking forward to getting drenched unless it's unavoidable."


"Yeah, I think we could try food. I've got some chewies I could try, what about anyone else?"

Remy grinned as he shrugged. "I've just the same mil-rats everyone probably has. Worse that might happen is she'll think you're trying to poison her with those things."

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
25 September 2006, 03:17 PM
"well, its worth a try anyways. Sofar I hadn't met one species or creature that hasn't been able to resist these chewies. And I ain't talking about the humanoid kind."

Kelvin reaches into his pack, digging for it, then pulls out a small hand-sized bag. "Darnit, I really gotta make more when I have the chance. Uncle's own Recipe." With that, Kelvin opens the bag, pulls out a couple finger sized peices and tosses them in the direction of the creature.

"Guess we'll see eh?" Kelvin finished with a shrug.

Ris
9 October 2006, 12:47 PM
"Mmm, that smells a lot better than the rations, Kelvin," Wynn whispered, then shut up to see if a snack would soothe the unhappy reptile. She shivered again from the damp & chill. There are reasons I didn't volunteer to lead the troopers -- like this. I should never have grumbled about nothing being more miserable than being flat on my back in med-bay she thought glumly.

coldskier0320
31 October 2006, 05:39 PM
(OOC: Sorry about the wait!)

Despite the attempts to placate the large serpent, the angry mom doesn't seem to be having any of it, hissing and snapping at the group, herding them back out toward the mouth of the cave. Though she tracks the food as it flies toward her, once it lands, she dismisses it as a possible threat and returns to confronting the group. Looks like she's not interested in tenants.

Outside, the foul weather has matured into a full blown storm. While not a very bad storm, Kel's expert opinion tells him that it's about to get worse. If they can't stay here, he feels it best to find new shelter as quickly as possible, even if it means finding a bit of flat ground on this bank and staking the sleeping units to the ground.

Judging from how these bluffs were dotted with crags and crevices, anyone who bothers to think on it (with a hostile creature of undetermined size on their mind as well), would surmise that there's probably a few more such caverns further downstream.

As the momma snake keeps snapping at Vooko, who is closest to her, the group has slowly retreated, Kel feels a few raindrops hitting his head: he's back outside.

Rostek
31 October 2006, 06:21 PM
"Well," Kell muttered loudly, "anyone have any bright ideas?" he added seriously, surveying the storm. His own instincts weren't as keen as some of the others in the party, but he could tell that this probably wouldn't slow down fast enough for them to get a decent night out of it.

Ris
1 November 2006, 02:34 AM
"Who, me? I'm just a snub-jock, 100% good looks & recklessness," Wynn grumbled, feeling the eddies of chilly, damp wind that wafted into the cave & tangled her hair as she backed out the way they'd come in. She didn't like the weather one bit, and wished she had her flightsuit, or at least the heavy jacket that went with it in cold climes. "But this is obvious enough for me -- find another cave, before we look like we're auditioningto be blue dancers in Py'lobi-Lus." She was referring to a famous Twi'lek experimental dance company. Wynn had met them as a teen on Aldaraan, and later was reunited briefly with one of them, now a Rebel transport pilot. Like many male dancers, Mee'cayl was too tall to fit well in a snub.
In spite of the ill weather, Wynn smiled. "Lead on, Mr. Radegant. Give me a heading & I'll trudge on." Those couple weeks she and Mee'Cayl
had been on the same base had been a lot of fun. Too bad he hadn't been available instead of that crazed Koth. Well even if he was at Solitude Base, he wouldn't have been tapped for a mission that involved so much hiking, thanks to that drunk Imp. But even if his leg wasn't up to professional dancing, he still had the physique & the moves. Wonder if I'll run into Mee'cayl again...
If her fellow team members had no idea what had improved the pilot's mood so suddenly, they were grateful for it.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
1 November 2006, 02:35 AM
"Lead on, Mr. Radegant. Give me a heading & I'll trudge on."

Well, that obviously didn't work as planned. Kelvin thought. "Maybe its a vegetarian?" Kelvin suggested questioningly with a shrug regarding the snake, even there was little humor to be had in their circumstances. It was either kill the creature or brave the weather.

"Well guys and gals, do we deal with the snake or leave it be and try take some shelter against the rock siding outside the cave?"

"Hey, I've an idea - i've still got the dura-shelter. We could lineup our sleeping bags beside one another against the rock siding, and cut-up the dura-shelter and kinda have a make-shift wrap-around tent for the 5 of us. We'd still be able to chit-chat, and while giving appearance as a few campers stuck under some makeshift tented fabric."

"Kel used to do this as kids, with our quilts half on-half off the bedside onto the floor. You'll want to secure it folded in from the inside to the sleeping bags with engine tape. Then tape the other end to the rockside. Effectively making a slanted roof shelter." Vooko chimed in, cautiously backing away from the snake. "Assuming the engine tape adheres to the rock."

"Exactly!" Kelvin beamed a happy grin. "Why wouldn't it stick to the rock? Thats stuff's been around longer well before they hyperdrives. Hey, at worst, we could just tuck the other end over-under our heads and use a few spare branches to prop it up in the middle" Kelvin added, moving closer to the entrance to glance at the developing weather outside.

Ris
2 November 2006, 03:36 AM
"Maybe its a vegetarian?" Kelvin suggested questioningly... "Or maybe a people-tarian?" Wynn retorted, though she found no more amusement than the outdoorsman.

Wynn listened to the 2 younger men with admiration. "Wow. Sounds good to me. And certainly cozier than hiking in this--stuff." She glared upward at lashing branches & dark clouds. "Also a lot better company than that ill-tempered beastie. And my classmates wondered why I could resist the Virtual-Reptile pet fad. Idiot things, but at least they were programmed to like people."

Donovan Morningfire
7 November 2006, 12:58 PM
Remy kept a wary eye on the snake as Kelvin and Vooko discussed new sleeping arrangements. They were getting pretty animated, and since the reptile didn't care for Kelvin's food offering...

"The impromptu tent idea soulds like a winner," Remy prompted. "Or at least a much better idea than standing around here or trying to trudge through all that rain." He glanced in Wynn's direction briefly before returning his attention to the snake. "Unless the missus is keen to pick up material for a new purse."

Ris
7 November 2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Donovan Morningfire
He glanced in Wynn's direction briefly before returning his attention to the snake. "Unless the missus is keen to pick up material for a new purse."
"Not this missus!" She favored the scoundrel with her best imitation of her mother's "Look." Then Wynn grinned at Remy. "Now the other missus there sounds like she might want a new one. I suggest we get outta Mos Eisley at point 9 past lightspeed, huh, Kelvin."

coldskier0320
7 November 2006, 03:29 PM
With that the group worms their way out of the tight, rocky opening, back into the rapidly worsening weather. With no trees on this side of the stream, the wind rules the cliff face uncontested, angrily tugging at any free bits of clothing or straps left dangling on packs. Still, the way is wide enough, and the rock is rough, and free of moss, making for stable footing.

Here, the stream is fairly level, making a wide curve with the cliffs on the inside. Trudging in the wind and (surprisingly still light) rain, the group passes several small fissures in the rock, leading to deep openings into the mountainside, most only a few inches wide.

Finally, the group comes to yet another decision point: ahead, the trail becomes a bit more challenging, following the stream down a small but impressive breakdown falls. Just at the edge of the level ground, there is a small area where the trail widens to about 6 meters where the rock has been worn away from the cliff side. In the middle of this gap, there is another fissure in the cliff, this one plenty wide to fit a person with a pack on, without worry about scraping against the sides, or bashing one's head. It looks to narrow further on in, but it, like the last one, looks fairly dry, and with the wind and rain finally making its determined way through some of the group's jackets, dry is looking good.

Now, for the first time, with the ground sloping off sharply before them, the group gets their first really good view of the landscape since their mountain landing...as well as of a few jagged bolts of lightning leaping from the sky off in the distance. The accompanying rumble of thunder sends a chill down a few of the rebels' spines, even as Kell, with his experience in SpecOps, picks out a slightly out of sorts spot on the horizon: a marked lack of tree cover that might indicate a landing field and the Imperial base. Also, everyone notes the stream's progress downward, eventually flowing into a small canyon further on down the way.

Ris
12 November 2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by coldskier0320
With that the group worms their way out of the tight, rocky opening, back into the rapidly worsening weather. With no trees on this side of the stream, the wind rules the cliff face uncontested, angrily tugging at any free bits of clothing or straps left dangling on packs...
Wynn grumbles under her breath as the wind blows her hair into her eyes, blurring her vision, and tangling her poncho around her legs. She brushes it away & pulls the hood as close as possible around her head & follows close behind Kel Radgant.


...ahead, the trail becomes a bit more challenging, following the stream down a small but impressive breakdown falls....
Wynn can't help but gaze for just a moment at the falls, recalling the fountains of her homeworld. With the weather & being out of practice at hiking, the distraction almost costs the woman her footing. Yelping, she keeps from falling with the aid of the walking stick.


Just at the edge of the level ground, there is a small area where the trail widens to about 6 meters where the rock has been worn away from the cliff side. In the middle of this gap, there is another fissure in the cliff, this one plenty wide to fit a person with a pack on, without worry about scraping against the sides, or bashing one's head. It looks to narrow further on in, but it, like the last one, looks fairly dry, and with the wind and rain finally making its determined way through some of the group's jackets, dry is looking good.
Lt. Antilles regards the cave with a mix of relief & suspicion. "Wonder what's bedded down already in this one?" she asks. "Any bets? I'll put a near-useless ponytail holder & a couple proto-blisters on another snake," she offers. "But if we can use it, we need a rest & to plan before going in," she added, serious again.

Donovan Morningfire
27 November 2006, 08:13 AM
"Well, if there's one thing to be said for this weather, it's that the odds of us having unexpected Imperial company just dropped to about Kell's chance of winning a hand of sabacc," Remy joked, trying to lighten everyone's mood a little. Though he had to agree, being out here in the wind and heavy downpour wasn't doing wonders for his spirits either.

"Mind your step," Remy playfully chides at seeing Wynn lose her balance for a moment, though he'd already started moving to catch her if need be when she regained her footing.


Lt. Antilles regards the cave with a mix of relief & suspicion. "Wonder what's bedded down already in this one?" she asks. "Any bets? I'll put a near-useless ponytail holder & a couple proto-blisters on another snake," she offers. "But if we can use it, we need a rest & to plan before going in," she added, serious again
"Even I won't touch those odds," Remy added. "But we won't know what's in the cave until at least one of us pokes their head in."

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
26 December 2006, 05:13 PM
Lt. Antilles regards the cave with a mix of relief & suspicion. "Wonder what's bedded down already in this one?" she asks. "Any bets? I'll put a near-useless ponytail holder & a couple proto-blisters on another snake," she offers. "But if we can use it, we need a rest & to plan before going in," she added, serious again.
"Mind your step," Remy playfully chides at seeing Wynn lose her balance for a moment, though he'd already started moving to catch her if need be when she regained her footing.

"Careful there!" Kelvin chimed back, as he kept his eyes on the descending slop infront of him, "Wouldn't want any of you to loose your footing. The danger is in breaking a leg or limb - or get speared by hardened dead foilage."

"I think that next clearing is worth a shot for a dry place too. Couldn't be any worse than what we were just in right?" Kelvin finished optimistically.

Rostek
27 December 2006, 11:35 AM
Kell was too taken in by his scan of the horizon to bother with Remy's comment. He thought that he spotted a clearing just on the horizon... Clearings of that size on this world, he imagined, would likely be artificial.
"Guys, we may have a complication: there is a clearing over on the horizon, one that I think could be man made. A landing field or base site, maybe. We should proceed with somewhat greater caution... they may have patrols out tomorrow if the weather clears." he explained.

coldskier0320
27 December 2006, 08:34 PM
This time sending Kel, the acknowldeged wilderness expert of the group, in first, Murphy's Law kicked in and the young man entered the cave to find it dry, roomy, unoccupied, and strikingly beautiful.

Calling the rest of the group in, they found themselves in a large chamber easily large enough to accomodate the group. The ceiling was just barely high enough that nobody had to stoop and, unlike the last one, this seemed to be a fairly uncommon geologic occurence: situated literally beneath the waterfall, the cave's walls were smooth and flowing, indicating that the room had been forming for years. Across from the entryway, a few boulders mingled with tree roots, admitting some light and a view of the outside world across the creek through a few gaps in the rock and plant matter. On the upstream side, clear, cold water sluiced silently down into a large oval pool that took up a good third of the room, which overflowed gently on the other side. The main volume of the creek still continued on overhead in muted gargles, and eventually crashed over the rocky falls in front of a large round opening in the cave that was situated directly behind the falling wall of water. On a lesser stream, the falls would have provided a rustic curtain to the opening, but this creek put up a no-nonsense barrier that would prevent all but the most determined from even noticing the opening.

Further exploration of the cave reveals a tiny side chamber that cuts back underneath the path they'd been using, that was littered with crushed up bits of dead leaves, twigs, and shells that could have meant anything from high-water deposit to long-abandoned animal nest.

The main room, for its part, had a large, roughly bean-shaped area of dry rock that wrapped around one side of the pool, and is lit by some pale grey sunlight filtering down with the water to give the room a ghostly dim light that encourages someone to set up a glowrod as a lantern, casting a warm glow around the rocky room.

Though not the Grand Corellian Hotel by any means, it was one of the first truly hospitable things Chalmyron had done for the group.

Just in time too: as the rapidly dampening group sheds their packs and lays out some of their equipment, the skies outside break open with a thunderous roar, and rain can be seen pouring down in sheets when one peers through the gaps in the rock on the other side of the little pool. As the group continues to unpack and settle in for the night, each thanks providence for small favors, as the room is spacious, hidden, and above all, dry.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
27 December 2006, 10:40 PM
Kelvin takes in the view and grins enthusiastically "All we need is a few hammocks strung and anchored into the walls and this is what I'd call paradise!"

Choosing a spot, Kelvin sets his pack down, and began to get some gear out - his sleep roll, a glow-rod, and something to snack on...

Getting an idea, looking at the pool with the pale light shining into it, and reflecting out back to the smooth cave walls, "Hey, wanna know what'd really make this nice? First - if we can toss a glow-rod in the pool for more ambient light, and then find a way to heat the water up... Make this our paradise vacation suit, with built in-room hot tub? Would be nice wouldn't it?" Kelvin suggested...

Ris
28 December 2006, 02:07 AM
Carefully pulling off her poncho so she doesn't get herself on anyone else damper, Wynn smiles at the woodsman's remark. "I like your way of thinking, Kelvin. But I guess we're not lucky enough for this to be a hot spring. Would be nice to have the extra light, but we'd have to get the rod out before we leave the Royal Suite. Even I know better than to not pack out all my trash - especially when we don't want to let anybody know we're about." The pilot spread out her poncho on a rock as she talked. "So how else do we mke this cozier?" Wynn asked, shaking out her hair, after pulling out a ponytail holder that was just hanging off a few locks.
She took out some food and made a face. "Who wants the red wrapped bars? I don't care for them - how could a 5-star hotel hire a chef who doesn't know you just can't be heavy-handed adding ground oolseed," she sniffed, imitating an insufferable Aldaraanian gourmand who had served as a good reason for why most cultures considered food a forbidden topic for mealtime conversation. "I just hope we have the proper vintage to go with the blue ones."

Rostek
3 January 2007, 07:03 PM
Kell chuckled-- being of middle-class stock, the faux accent was all too familiar as a point of humor.
"Whilst we send the valet to the cellar to check our vino, perhaps we can determine the watch schedule. I'll go first if no one else wants to..." the Alderaanian said.

Donovan Morningfire
4 January 2007, 12:25 PM
"Knock yourself out Kell," Remy replied. "I could use an hour or two of downtime after the way todays' gone."

"After all, we need to make sure that we're able to give the Imperials our best when we show up on their doorstep. Though I do have to admit, in retrospect, that crazy Sullustan's notion of bombing the place isn't sounding quite as crazy anymore."

"Hey Kelvin, If you really want to see the definition of 'paradise,' remind me to give you a certain set of astro-coordinates." Remy paused to grin as he recalled some rather fond memories of that particular place. "Truth be told, if there were more spaceports like that in the galaxy, no one would ever feel unloved, regardless of gender."

Ris
4 January 2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Donovan Morningfire
"Hey Kelvin, If you really want to see the definition of 'paradise,' remind me to give you a certain set of astro-coordinates." Remy paused to grin as he recalled some rather fond memories of that particular place. "Truth be told, if there were more spaceports like that in the galaxy, no one would ever feel unloved, regardless of gender."
"And you're not gonna share them with me?" Wynn asked, "I might even serve you a better meal for those coordinates."

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
4 January 2007, 08:03 PM
"Hey Kelvin, If you really want to see the definition of 'paradise,' remind me to give you a certain set of astro-coordinates." Remy paused to grin as he recalled some rather fond memories of that particular place. "Truth be told, if there were more spaceports like that in the galaxy, no one would ever feel unloved, regardless of gender."

"I'll have to see it to believe it.If we're talkin about a spaceport, then its really gonna have to be one heckova spaceport..." Kelvin replied as he leaned back against the wall, "Truth be told y'know, this planet ain't really so bad itself, weren't it for those Imperial buggers."


"And you're not gonna share them with me?" Wynn asked, "I might even serve you a better meal for those coordinates."

"Lucky Guy" Kelvin complemented light heartedly over to Remy.

Donovan Morningfire
5 January 2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Ris

"And you're not gonna share them with me?" Wynn asked, "I might even serve you a better meal for those coordinates."
Remy laughed. "I might. Of course, you could just think of it as a little extra incentive to come through this mess alive. Though given how must snubjocks cook, I'm not so sure meal offerings is a good bartering chip."

Ris
5 January 2007, 04:51 PM
Wynn looked a little surprised that Remy thought she was offering to cook. While she knew highborns who appreciated fine food enough to want to learn the art of cooking, Wynn had never been interested.
"Sorry, I misspoke. I menat to say I'd buy you a meal at the classiest place on the other end of those coordinates." She yawned, hiding it behind her hand. "Kell mentioned watches -- does anyone mind if I take the dawn watch?" She yawned again, then offered the ration bars to Remy. "Don't worry about supper for me. Sweet dreams, gentlemen."
Wynn got out her bedroll and curled up in it.

coldskier0320
9 January 2007, 09:56 AM
As the group finished setting up their sleeping units, Kel checks out the pool. Surprisingly deep, it is comprised of several large rocks on the bottom, making it a chest-deep hole at the middle that rises up to a small area only about six inches deep on the side where the group slept. As he peers in, he spies half a dozen or so stout, gray, tubular fish, that don't seem terribly concerned with his presence until he moves, at which point they disappear into gaps between the rocks. Also, he notices a large crustacean picking its way along the bottom, and several tiny silver fish darting around in the shallow part.

At some point, the young man's eye picks out an anomaly: one of the little silver flashes that the fish were making as they turned, hadn't moved. At all. In all the time he'd been stnading there. Taking closer notice, he realized that the silver flash was not indeed a fish, but some reflective rock on the bottom of the pool. On a whim he decided to make a closer inspection, kneeling at the waters edge and digging the thing loose with his fingers. After a few moments, he'd pried up the item, and was surprised to find that it was not a rock, but some sort of metallic strip. Showing it to Kell, the soldier examined it, eventually deciding it was the military ID of a commando from the clone wars. While certainly not common by any means, it did make sense that such an item would be found on a planet like Chalmyron, that had been a focal point of the war in her sector. Pleased at the interesting find, Kel tucked the tag in his pocket and headed off to the small side chamber, gathering a few of the dry twigs for a fire.

Kell, for his part, went back to the laborious process of removing the waterproof top shell of a shelter from the rest of the unit. Once complete, it'd make a good blind for whoever was on watch, not to mention keeping the rain off of their back. Remy and the pilots helped out where they could, but for the most part were relegated to staying out of the way, and setting up the sleeping units. Still, it was a good time for everyone to wind down from a long day of walking.

Rostek
17 January 2007, 03:58 PM
Kell shook his head and watched as Kel returned to the others with his new find identified, and once again went to the task at hand.
Why the designers had decided to make the shelter so un-user friendly was beyond him, but nevertheless he persevered in his attempts, as this piece would offer a great boon to a proper observation point.

Ris
10 February 2007, 05:21 AM
Cinowyn found that while she while very tired, she couldn't fall alseep right away for once. It wasn't that the guys were keeping her awake; if anything, they seemed quieter than she'd expected. No, it was her or the mission. She felt--like something was going to happen, it wasn't necessarily bad though...
After a while, she crawled out of the bedroll and joined Kell who looked to be fighting a tough battle with the shelter. "Lemme give you a hand--& maybe a leg or 2," she added, pinning a stubborn support between her legs to hold it in place, imitating how she'd seen archers at a living history exhibition hold a primitive bow, the kind without pulleys & so on, to string it. (Kel Radegant, if he happened to be watching, would certainly recognize the move.)

As the 2 worked, she glanced at the huntsman, as she'd started thinking of Vook's "cousin," & saw that he was lookng at something. "What's Kelvin got there?"

Donovan Morningfire
14 February 2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Ris
As the 2 worked, she glanced at the huntsman, as she'd started thinking of Vook's "cousin," & saw that he was lookng at something. "What's Kelvin got there?"

"I'm guessing either a snack for later or a souvenir," Remy answered, deciding he'd be of more help in setting up the shelter by not getting in anyone's way. "Given this used to be a Separatist base, could even be a chunk of either a battle droid or a clone's armor."

Ris
14 February 2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Donovan Morningfire

"I'm guessing either a snack for later or a souvenir," Remy answered, deciding he'd be of more help in setting up the shelter by not getting in anyone's way.
"If it's a snack, he'd better share--on second thought, I'll pass," Wynn amended, thinking of what kind of thing some of the Alderaanian huntsmen & foresters talked about eating.


"Given this used to be a Separatist base, could even be a chunk of either a battle droid or a clone's armor."
"Wow, those would be cool--as long as it's not one of the droid weapons." Wynn raised her voice a little to reach Kelvin. "What did you dig up, Kelvin?"

coldskier0320
21 February 2007, 02:57 PM
As dusk shouded the surrounding countryside in darkness as well as wetness, the deluge only increased in intensity. Luckily, this seemed to keep any would be invaders at bay, and the watch enjoyed turn after turn of no interesting goings-on. While a watchman took his or her turn up above, though, the rest of the group enjoyed a dry, cozy retreat in the cave below, gathering around a small fire, and dining first on rations, then hesitantly tasting one of the tube-like fishes that Kel had managed to fling up out of the pool in an impressive display of skill, dumb luck, and no small amount of wild flailing. At first, the fish had looked utterly unappetizing, a slimy, flopping crature on the dirty cave floor, but Kel folowed through, cleaning and cooking the fish over the fire, and adding a few seasonings from a tiny container he'd seen fit to bring along. After a little persuasion on his part, everyone had the pleasure of enjoying a small but tasty helping of 'real food' with their ration packs, as the yellow-orange flesh of the fish proved surprisingly tender and flavorful.

By the time dinner was over and the fire was dying, night had established itself, and the group was getting tired, thus, Vooko put out the embers, for safety's sake, and the Rebels headed to sleep.

Several Hours Later

"Rise and shine, kiddies!", Kel calls softly to the young rebels, asleep in their shelter-units as he comes down from his watch, the last of the night.

As the team awakes, they note the dim grayness of dawn shining through the waterfall, now a milky brown from last night's rainfall. They also notice that Kell has once again provided for the group, somehow bagging a pair of plump birds, whose brown feathers sit in a pile beside a new fire, atop which the birds themselves are roasting.

The morning is cool, and Wynn subconsciously pulls her heated sleeping unit's hood up with her as she sits up and yawns. Kell is the first to pack for the morning, and he heads up top to take a look at the morning landscape, glad to note that the rain has stopped and a chilly breeze has blown the storm over the ridge. Remy, for his part, finishes packing his stuff up neatly, then heads over to the pool to wash his face, disturbing the large crustacean there, who scrambles for cover.

By the time the birds are ready, everyone is packed. Kell has completed a short tour of the area and returns to present a new problem to his team: last night's rains have turned the creek into a potentially hazardous obstacle. Though the path on this side is clear, Kell can't be sure that they'll be able to cross...here or anywhere...without a bridge. Then again, Remy points out, they're not really sure what side of the creek they want to be on anyway. While the groups is generally ill at ease with the new wrinkle, they also realize there's no need to create a problem where none exists. Thus, they finish an early breakfast (the birds again prove delicious), and head off, packs on their backs, down the side of the stream, a cliff rising a few meters to their right, and the swollen, rushing stream a few to the left, with the rocky trail wet, but not too slippery underfoot.

Ris
22 February 2007, 03:26 PM
Cinowyn finally persuades herself to leave the cozy sleeper and join the others for breakfast. With her mussed hair and slill-drowsy eyes she doesn't really look like either a snubjock or a highborn lady, just a somewhat pretty young woman. Looking at the birds, just starting to turn golden, makes her mouth water. "Mmm, that looks wonderful. There's not much you can't get hold of is there? When we start our own squadron, Vooko, I'm gonna draft your cuz to lead the support team, that way it won't lack for anything." The feathers catch her eye, and she looks closer. They aren't just brown, they're also mottled with a rust color, and the longer tail & wing feathers are tipped in irredescent blue-green. "I'd like to keep these, not sure what I'll do with them. Maybe make hair ornaments?" she adds in a moment of whimsy, holding one up by the side of her face.

Once on their way, Wynn asks Kelvin what he can teach her as they hike. "I really would like to learn, so I'd be more useful. A few times yesterday I was feeling more trouble than I was worth, slipping & not being able to cook & all that." It was clear from the way she looked at Kel's bow that she was most curious about that, but she didn't say anything. "Though I think Remy would prefer I didn't try to cook. Do you really think I'd try to poison a guy like you, even accidentally?" she asked the scoundrel.

Donovan Morningfire
1 March 2007, 02:49 PM
Definitely one of the better ways to start the day, Remy mused as the sound of others scuffling about the cave and the smell of something delicious roused him. He only hoped this day's travels would be a bit smoother than yesterday's. But he'd let the nature experts figure that one out. He ran their cover story over in his head a couple times, trying to make sure there weren't any glaring errors or omissions that could get them in hot water.


Originally posted by Ris
"Though I think Remy would prefer I didn't try to cook. Do you really think I'd try to poison a guy like you, even accidentally?" she asked the scoundrel.
"Funny you should mention that. My ex said the same thing, just before she did try to poison me."

Rostek
1 March 2007, 05:49 PM
Kell was grim, as per his usual mission operating procedure.
"Well," he said, "we had better hope that we're on the right side of the river, or else this might be a short mission," he deadpanned. The Rebel licked his fingers to remove the last of the ration pack sauce-- something entirely unidentifiable-- in anticipation of the real food, which he had allowed to sit before him before indulging.

As the group leaves, Kell wearily keeps his rifle at the ready and his eyes keen looking for any potential threat... he didn't like the feel of this world, not at all.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
8 March 2007, 02:05 AM
Wynn: Once on their way, Wynn asks Kelvin what he can teach her as they hike. "I really would like to learn, so I'd be more useful. A few times yesterday I was feeling more trouble than I was worth, slipping & not being able to cook & all that."

Beginning with a broad answer, Kelvin started on a range of topics with a shrug, "That would depend on what all you'd like to know I guess. Aside from cooking, theres quite a few equally important and useful stuff to know out here. Take for instance - spotting things that could be a problem. Wildlife - predators, suspicious looking fauna that may be disguised traps, things about the area around us that may be good or bad and still useful."

Kelvin noticed Wynn looking at him, in a questionable curious sort of way. In a way, it wasn't all too much different than the looks their moms gave him and Vooko sometimes when they were heading for the door - usually for another outdoors adventure off in the woods or to Uncle Hlarit's farm.

"Y-eah?" Kelvin asked Wynn, wondering what she was curious about.

Ris
8 March 2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Donovan Morningfire
"Funny you should mention that. My ex said the same thing, just before she did try to poison me."
The snubjock tried to figure out how serious the scoundrel was, decided it was probably a joke. "Well, uh, I guess it broke you from trying to date chefs & TDLs, huh?" she grinned at him.


Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar &amp; Raven
Kelvin noticed Wynn looking at him, in a questionable curious sort of way. In a way, it wasn't all too much different than the looks their moms gave him and Vooko sometimes when they were heading for the door - usually for another outdoors adventure off in the woods or to Uncle Hlarit's farm.
"Y-eah?" Kelvin asked Wynn, wondering what she was curious about.
Cinowyn hadn't realized she been staring so intently. "Oh, ah...your bow, Kelvin. I really would like to learn to use one." She hesitated, then asked shyly, "May I see it? I understand if you don't want me to..."

Ris
18 April 2007, 06:36 PM
You guys are all walking down the riverside trail and eventually you reach a point where the trail shows that it is, in fact, man made. It comes to a point on the cliff where the trail simply ends, turning into a steep dropoff into the river about 10 feet below. However, there is an old rope bridge across the water at this point. While it looks as if its been there a while, a cursory once-over proves that it's sturdy.
Standing well back, Wynn eyes the bridge & the river warily as 1 or 2 of the guys check it over. "C'mon, is it good to go or not?" she asks, trying to sound impatient, rather than nervous.
After a few short exchanges between Kel and Kell, they decide to take the group across, with Kel on point.

"One at a time," Kel Radegant cautions in a low voice, creeping over the V-shaped rope construction. Having to hold on with both hands, he has his bow across his back, as Kell covers him with a blaster, keeping a sharp eye on the opposite bank. A few long seconds later, and Kel sets foot on wet, but stable land on the original side of the creek, a chocolate brown tempest beneath the bridge as a result of last night's downpour.
The pilot watches Kel, wondering if getting it over with would be the best tactic. She holds her breath, but doesn't realize it until she exhales when the huntsman reaches the far side safely.
"Remy, you're up next," Kell mutters over his shoulder, as Kel, across the creek nocks an arrow in his bow and scouts out the immediate area.

With a slight grumble, Remy places both feet on the coarse brown line that makes up the footing on the bridge, and sways a bit, testing how much give the thing had, should he need it. About halfway across, his foot slides off the rope and he sinks down, only an impressive display of upper-body strength keeping him from dangling from the hand-hold ropes. With great effort, he manages to pull himself back up, and continue to the other side, where he examines himself for any minor scrapes or bruises.
Wynn again watches worriedly, but moves up, deciding that waiting is only making it worse. She'd always disliked those times when she had to sit in a cockpit in a hangar during a long jump. "Whatever happened to ladies first?" she asked Kell. "You're the Officer & Gentleman of the team," Cinowyn added, forcing a little humor as she recalls the Aldaraanian's reaction when she'd taken off her outer shirt earlier.
Kell cocks an eyebrow at her and grunts, "Well you're next. Off you go."
"See ya after the jump, wing," she grins at Vooko before starting across.
Vooko grins and gives a mock-salute in return.

As Wynn starts off, she finds the rope a sturdier presence underfoot than the team originally gave it credit for, though the ropes do irritate her hands. As she makes her way slowly, trying to imitate Kel Radegant's moves, she mutters to herself, "Why didn't your Ladyship wear gloves?" Well, if the medkit didn't have a cure for her hands once they were all across, Kel probably would. Once or twice she looks down at the foamy, dark waters & hesitates. She wishes she'd asked for help across, but that would have been embarrassing, as well as unwise.

About 2 paces from the opposite bank, Wynn glances down to the water below and feels an intense wave of vertigo hit. Though uncommon in pilots, this wasn't exactly space, and she just manages to hear Vooko call out, "Wynn!" before she's suddenly flipped around below the bridge, her head impacting solidly with the rocky bankside, leaving her dangling by a few fingers. Doubly dizzy from both the vertigo & the crack on her head, Wynn nervertheless tries to focus on holding on and getting a better grip.
As she scrabbles for purchase, Remy takes a reflexive step onto the rope to give the pilot a helping hand. As he does, the ropes creak threateningly under the double load. Recoiling in alarm, the rope bounces under his reduced burden, just enough to send Wynn into the brown rushing water below.

The woman doesn't feel the ropes burn her fingers, but she does feel the hard blow of the water. Worse'n one of Mom's kicks in class, she thought, then focused on kicking for the surface. Spitting out gritty liquid as her head broke water, she tried kicking off the hiking boots. Get the boots off, but how? she wondered, trying to keep from panic. The boots don't budge, being tied firmly by Wynn herself hours ago. However, her outfit was slightly bouyant, and she had little difficulty coming to the surface for a much-needed breath. To her dismay, however, she was already a good 10 or 15 meters downstream, compliments of the swift current. Forget the *&^$ boots, gotta find something to grab, like in the holos. Wynn hoped the writers of those action-adventure holovids had done their research.

Now quite out of sight of her friends, Wynn grasps for a tree root protruding from the canyon wall. At first she just misses, but a good second effort sees her gripping the root securely, though she wasn't sure the root would hold her weight for long.
With a brief moment to collect her thoughts, she sees the steep stone walls to either side of her, tracing the path of her most recent trip. Pulling wet strands of hair out of her face, she peers downstream, into the darkness of the underground caverns that the creek enters about 30 meters away.
Whew, Force or something must've been with me--probably goes so deep they'd have to pipe sunlight in with a straw. Hope it stays with me, so I can hold long enough for the guys to get here, can't climb up. She's tempted to call out for her friends, but decides against it. They are close & she should take advantage of this breather. She also vaguely recalls that sound travels real good near water & she doesn't want to risk a patrol hearing. Wynn rests for a few moments, then looks to see if she could climb out of there. Are the rock walls rough enough? Rough yes, but too steep. Try to hold on to this root, with an arm hooked around it, then. Wait for the others to get here & help.

The cold water sobers Wynn, helping her to see and think clearly despite the shock of the situation. She smartly decides to wait for friends to arrive, but soon the decision is taken from her as a large tree limb or something similar washes up underneath her, knocking her easily from her holdfast and poking a sharp, broken-off branch into her thigh. Though it wasn't deep, Wynn knew it had broken skin. Luckily, she was able to wrench it free before her world was shrouded in blackness as she entered the cavern.
As she's swept deeper into the cavern, the current becomes incredibly strong, as water is sucked through the rocky passages. The water temperature also drops considerably, chilling her to her core. As the water goes deeper, the cavern gets narrower and narrower, to the point that there's only room enough for Wynn's head and shoulders above the surface of this deadly parody of an amusement park attraction.

Wynn tried to keep calm, it was no worse, the snubjock told herself, than ejecting into dark space--and you could breathe without help, even. Just then, her head went under momentarily--but she pops back up. Wynn felt she had little choice but to literally go with the flow. She told herself, as the water became chillier, that it was warmer than in space.
As she pops back up, the current takes her over a short underground falls. Speeding up just in time to give her a second knock on the head this afternoon, this one strong enough, thanks to the increased current over the falls, to plunge her into an even blacker world...Much later Wynn would remember she seemed to relive that last ejection--drifting in space, waiting for a pick-up...It had to have been the icy water and the darkness...Eventually, the dreams faded as she drifted deeper asleep...

Ris
18 April 2007, 06:47 PM
Some time later, Wynn comes to on dry ground. No, she corrects herself mentally, its not ground...it's a floor...Indeed, her body rests on a perfectly smooth, flat, level surface of the same brown-gray stone of the canyon walls, but hewn into a real floor, and even polished a bit, whether by traffic or other means.
Good, guys got me to a hospital, musta fallen out of the bed. Well I can get up & back in she thinks & tries to roll over & pick herself off the floor. Hoisting herself into a sitting/reclining position, Wynn squints and peers across the small room. It had a somewhat low, domed ceiling, and the walls of the round room were lined with bins and shelves cut right into the rock. On one side, a small, but bright fire crackled happily away in a flreplace that was aparently lighting other rooms, as she could peer through the flames into other open spaces. Near the fireplace, a semicircle of a doorway led into other areas. A pair of round windows held a view of the night sky from her position on the floor.

"Where am I?" Wynn wasn't aware she'd murmured her thought. Still chilled a little, she moves to the fire, starting to get up, but changing her mind & deciding to just slide over. Only once she's there does she realize that someone had to have brought her here. Was it her teammates?...
Wynn gingerly tries to check herself over, and feels for the medkit that should be at her belt. Wynn finds that she's largely unharmed, excepting, of course, the hole poked in her leg (which has been cleaned and bandaged with a light beige cloth) as well as the lumps on her head, which sting at the touch. She's wearing her own clothing, though it is remarkably quite dry, and her backpack is nowhere to be found.
The pilot figures she'd lost the backpack during her wild ride on the river. Wynn had no idea how long she was out. She wonders where Kel & the others are. One of them should have stayed with her. She tries to get up, carefully, mindful of the injured leg and possible dizziness from the cracks on her skull. Wynn wondered why there were 2 large lumps, she could only recall hitting her head when she lost balance on the bridge. As she gets to her feet, she is very unsteady. Wynn looks around for something to lean on, even the wall, as she moves around. Steadying herself on the wall/ceiling (it IS a dome), she moves toward the fire, basking in its warmth. Eventually, she heads to the doorway, noticing for the first time her bare feet and her boots and socks laying neatly by the doorway. As she looks down at them, it sinks into Wynn that it might not be Kel, Vooko & the others who brought her here. She peers cautiously around the next room, through the doorway.
The doorway leads to a common room of sorts, with a low, round bowl in the middle with a smoldering, low fire in it, and several doorways leading out from it. The fireplace in Wynn's original waking place was open to this common room, as well as the outer chamber adjacent to hers. Several such fires crackled around the room. Opposite these rooms, a few low steps led to what appeared to be a utility room of some sort.

As she takes a few steps into the utility room, Wynn starts, and adrenaline floods her system as a voice calls out, "There you are, child. I was beginning to think you'd sleep through the night. How's the head?"

Wheeling around in the direction of the voice, Wynn sees an elderly woman rising from a cooking hearth across the room. A low table set for one was nearest Wynn, a brown earthenware bowl with some older looking metal flatware whose fancy scrollwork looked out of place in this rustic environment. The woman seemed genuinely friendly, a warm smile crossing her thin lips. Gray hair was pulled back simply and lay across the back of a green and brown cloak she was wearing with hood back.
Wynn turns toward the voice, almost staggering, her hand reaching for an absent blaster. She realizes the voice isn't an enemy's and drops her hand. "It hurts like all 9--uh a lot, ma'am. As per usual," Wynn added, rubbing a hand gingerly across her forehead, starting to feel dizzy again. "Thank you."
The woman nods sagely, seeming to appreciate the respect she's shown, though in a modest way, not as if she'd expected it, but rather that it came as a pleasant surprise. Ambling over toward Wynn and the table with the pot she'd been tending over the hearth, she asks, "Do you have much of an appetite? Well, either way, you should at least eat a little, to regain your strength. Here." She pours a bit of the pot's contents, a hearty-looking stew, into the earthenware bowl, and motions for you to sit and eat.
"Thank you, I am hungry, madam." Cinowyn sits & takes a few spoonfuls of just the gravy & pauses for a few minutes. She's had enough experience with head injuries to not want to court the nausea that often results. The mild seasonings aren't familiar but do taste good. "Thank you for helping me, I'm Cinowyn." The stew is very tasty without being overseasoned. While it is piping hot, Wynn can cool it to tolerable levels while she learns more about her mysterious benefactor, who sits in the seat opposite her and smiles, her worn face reflecting the firelight, with a pair of oval windows in the wall behind her revealing the night sky above.
"Of course, child, of course. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, though I must say, I'd have preferred less injurious terms, for your sake," she replies with a gentle grin, studying the swollen lump on Wynn's forehead, "My name's Taya. I must ask though, what brings you to the wilds of Chalmyron? I haven't seen humans here for over a decade. Except the clones, of course."

Wynn takes a bite of the meat as she listens to her hostess' reply. Not sick yet. Maybe I didn't get concussed again. The pilot smiles at the woman's gentle joke. "Me too, Taya." Wynn searched her brain for the team's story, or had they even come up with one? "Ah, survey team. My 'mates must be looking for me. Where are we?" Clones? Madine & Co. didn't mention any clones...oh she must mean the Stormies. I am not tracking that well. Wynn knew that her parents & some others of their generation often called the stormtroopers "Clones" even though relatively few of them were clones any more.
At this, Taya narrows her eyes up at Wynn, "Survey team? Who sent you?"
"We're independant. Not Imps or anything," Wynn hastened to reassure her. Remind me not to try & think in this condition. I sound stupider than the groundpounders think we snubjocks are.
At this, Taya visibly relaxes, and smiles up at Wynn once again, "You ended up in my little eddy of the creek, so I brought you in and cleaned you up, and gave you something for the headache that would have no doubt resulted. Also patched up your leg."
Some moment later, "So where are you from, and what were you looking for here? You must have been looking for something specific to bother getting past the minefield and the laser traps."

At this, Taya visibly relaxes, and smiles up at Wynn once again, "You ended up in my little eddy of the creek, so I brought you in and cleaned you up, and gave you something for the headache that would have no doubt resulted. Also patched up your leg."

Some moment later, "So where are you from? and what were you looking for here? You must have been looking for something specific to bother getting past the minefield and the laser traps."
"How bad are the lumps? I think I've got a slight concussion. And I bet half my torso's bruised from when I hit the water." Wynn didn't exactly answer the question Taya asked. "I fell off this old rope bridge just a little above where the river goes underground--couldn't hold onto that root long enough for the guys to get to me. Do you know where I mean & how far away it is? I've gotta get word to them before they decide I drowned." Wynn was tempted to tell Taya everything, the older woman was clearly trustworthy she felt. But she hesitated, trying to feel her resucer out a little more--then she might tell her. "You've been here over 10 years then I guess. And seen no one but the clones in all that time?"
"Oh, well, I suppose that's not totally true. There's several officers that sometimes make the trip up to the highlands, but the vast majority of the trouble that comes this way is in the form of clones on their speeders, making their loop." She pauses to refill your bowl, then goes on, "The lumps aren't so bad, and the concussion, you're fully recovered from. It's a good thing you met me here, though, that bridge isn't normally so bad, but with the rain, those ropes can get funny. You've come a pretty good ways downstream here. I do hope you were headed in this direction? You're going to resupply at the garrison, I assume?"
"The garrison?" Wynn was confused. "Oh the town that's attached, you mean? Yes." As Taya turns back to the hearth, Wynn asks about the officers. "The officers go out themselves? Not just leading men--clones? Doesn't sound like most Imp officers." As the lady fills her bowl, "Do you have some water ma'am? I'm afraid I'm more thirsty than hungry right now, odd with all the water I probably swallowed, huh? I'm sorry I can't do your stew the justice it deserves. And I'm very grateful for your care--you're as good as a lot of doctors."
At this last the woman flashes a proud grin, "Better, actually," she rejoins, heading across the room to an odd looking piece of sculpted rock coming out of the wall, "And you know the GAR better than most. Their officers...'Imp' as you call them, don't dare come out alone. No, they're usually just personally overseeing a routine field exercise. The garrison's commandant is a sharp enough military man, I suppose, keeping his clones in shape like he does."

Returning with a ceramic cup full of cold, clear water, Taya hands it to Wynn, continuing, "And if you're headed for the town, you've got some old survey data indeed. The town hasn't really been much of anything for the past several years. But that stew, I'm glad you like Rock Skale, and surprised you havent already had any, as they're fairly common. Then again, the storm probably sent them all deeper into the creekbed."
GAR? Wynn revised way upwards her estimate of how long Taya had been out here, alone, and felt a pang of sympathy for her. Had she been someone like her mother, whose noble blood hadn't kept her from losing everything & everyone in the Clone Wars? "Well, they call themselves Imps, now. Sorta. The Empire." Wynn's old anger--and anguish--at the usurping government that bore the ultimate responsibility for all the lost lives welled up, making her voice bitter. "Haven't been the GAR for, well, longer than I've been alive." Wynn nods thanks for the water, and takes a long sip, as she tries to get her emotions under control.
Taya seems to take the news in stride, and with a mental shrug, she smiled once again at Wynn, "Which brings me back to my original question, who are you? I got your name, and although I don't believe you're a danger to me, your story has some holes in it. If it's the truth, I'm not sure its the whole truth...even if its all that you know." Dishing herself a small bit of the rock skale stew, she nods, "It seems you've missed all the excitement then, being born after the war. Good for you." In this last, there is no trace of sarcasm, just genuine happiness that Taya was talking to someone whose life hadn't been ravaged by the horrors of war...or so she thought.

Once more Cinowyn felt a pang of sorrow for her rescuer, living all alone since before one war ended & apparently unaware of another. Wynn decided she could trust Taya for this. "I'm no more a threat to you than you are to me. My friends & I were seeking 2 men, to bring them off Chalmyron, without the Imps knowing. They are no friends of ours. They don't seem to be friends of yours, either, Taya. You don't seem to have anything to do with them." There was no accusation in her voice either. The pilot was already wondering if she could persuade Taya to not only help her find Kel, Vook, Remy & Kell--but then aid them. Someone who knew this planet so well & had medical skills would be invaluable. And in return, she'd see they took Taya away from here, if she wanted to leave. "I may have missed that war, but..." Wynn sighed. Curiousity as well as sympathy aroused, Cinowyn asked her hostess, "How did you come to be here so long alone?"
Taya smiled ruefully at this, "I came here with the Army to help the medics heal the wounded clones. As unnatural as I felt that those soldiers were...and still are...they're living things with a heart and a soul, and they didn't have any choice in their creation, so I couldn't bring myself to deny them life based on my convictions. Besides, I'm a healer, it's what I do. I couldn't deny those boys aid any more than I could have denied you when you were brought to my dwelling here. Since the end of the war though, I've been here in the highlands, living a simple life, and lying low anytime the patrols come around, though they've long given up any suspicions that I'm still out here." At this, she allows herself a sly grin, as she collects up the empty dishes and sets them in the same odd-looking structure from which she'd filled Wynn's cup.

Wynn smiled at her. "I was told once that my biological father was a battle-surgeon who got killed during the Clone Wars. I don't remember ever hearing his name." Wynn was surprised to hear her speak of the old clones as having hearts & souls. No one--not even Wynn herself--gave even the "real humans" who now made up most of the Stormtrooper ranks credit for having either of those. "So why do you hide from beings like those you once helped?" Wynn found herself asking--as if she didn't know it was because gratitude would mean nothing to them. "And what's a healer, ma'am?"

Taya took all this in, eyes half-closed, nodding occasionally. After Wynn finishes, she looks up, "Well I hide because they turned on us. In an instant, the soldiers went from following the Jedi and appreciating us healers, to trying to kill us all...like they were driven mad. Luckily, the ones around me were all hurt, so I had time to escape into the caves up here. I haven't seen anyone from my group since that day, all dead, I suppose," the knowledge didn't seem to bother her, "And a healer isn't necessarily better or worse than a doctor. Just different. A doctor uses science, I use talent."
"But doctors need talent, too, not just sci--" Cinowyn started quoting her old friend, the Aldaraanian royal physician, another who'd never refused to help. Then Taya's words actually penetrated. [/i]Better than a doctor?[/i] Wynn was begining to suspect, something--magic like you'd hear in old folktales, maybe? Swords of pure light-energy...Jedi? she thought, but no, it couldn't be. "Jedi? They've been gone all my life too...No, you?" Wynn's voice & eyes held an odd mix of doubt and wonder.
At this, Taya laughs audibly, "Heavens no, child! If I were a Jedi I wouldn't still be stuck out here in the sticks! No ma'am, I'm afraid I didn't have what it takes to be a Jedi. I'm glad they're still out there though. Without the Jedi, I imagine the galaxy would probably lose hope. No, I was a member of the MedCorps, I'm sure you've heard of them on your homeworld...which reminds me, you still never told me where you were from. Troubled past, I suspect?"
"MedCorps? Was that short for Republic Medical Expeditionary Something? That's the only medical corps I heard of in the Clone Wars...Troubled past, never thought of it that way, but I guess you could say so. I was from Aldaraan, but now there's no Aldaraan to be from!" The injuries and fatigue have taken a toll on the young pilot. Tears trickle onto her face as she tells in a few stark sentences what happened to the lovely world. Wiping her eyes, Wynn breaks the news to the old woman. "Taya, I'm sorry, but there aren't any Jedi any more, That's why it took me so long to even think you might be one. I dunno what happened, they--weren't really talked about."
Taya takes the news about as well as could be expected. Her face flashes first with denial, then seeing the emotional impact the revelation had on Wynn, her shoulders slump as if under a great burden. Quietly, she admits, "I'm from Alderaan too, originally. What happened? The war? We're a peaceful people."

Mentally picking herself up and dusting herself off, she again turns to regard Wynn, but it looks as if years have been added to the woman's features, "I guess I'd hoped that a visitor would bring good news. Optimism is dangerous." A long moment later, she adds, "No. The MedCorps is-- was, a part of the Jedi, a large group of Force-sensitives with a natural talent for healing, that weren't powerful enough to be true Jedi. We worked closely with the Republic Medics, but were distinctly different."
Hating herself for being the cause of the old woman's distress, Wynn goes over & puts her arms around her. How do you condense a quarter century of history? "The Clone Wars ended, I guess right after the clones attacked you & the Jedi. The chancellor declared himself Emperor...
"So about 4 years ago, after they've captured my cousin, the Princess of Aldaraan, the Empire decides to make an example. And, our planet was, no more. But neither is that hellish Death Star," Wynn adds with satisfaction. "I should've been on the Tantive, had been a midshipman, when the Princess was taken & my father & his crew murdered, but I never could sit comfortably on cushions in a corner. I was already learning to fly starfighters. And thus here I am. Bumbling around on the ground scr--messing up--a mission. I'd've never made a Jedi."
"Princess?", Taya mutters, "Bail Organa's daughter? Well good for him."

Beckoning for Wynn to follow, she heads back toward a different room in the row beside the one she woke up in, "As for Alderaan's fate, it is unfortunate, but we cannot change the past. I can learn more of it tomorrow, but for tonight, we must rest.", she stops at an arched doorway. Inside, you can see an inviting sleeping pallet, "You can stay in here for the night, and we'll try to find you your friends tomorrow. I do hope they don't try to come the way you did," she finishes with a sad smile.
"I've learned to accept that no one can change the past, it's just sometimes it hurts worse than other times, Taya. I wish I could have told you some easier way." She smiled suddenly but briefly at the image of all 4 men jumping in after her. "I doubt they'll imitate me, I'm sure Kel will think of another way. Will you come with us then? If I couldn't provide better news, I can provide you company & a way offworld, if you would like. I would be honored if you would."
Taya seems to consider the proposal, looking as if that idea never occursed to her. Finally, she decides on a compromise of an answer, "We'll see, child. Get some sleep. We wake at dawn."

Rostek
18 April 2007, 07:03 PM
Kell cursed, and tried to find the fallen pilot in the waters to no avail.
"Damn!" he said, smacking his thigh in frustration, "That will complicate things; I don't think that river gets much calmer down the line. What do you think, Kelvin?" he asked the more experienced woodsman.

Ris
18 April 2007, 07:07 PM
Several hours later, Wynn is awoken to Taya's gentle nudging. Though it seems is if she'd just laid down moments ago, the murky grayness outside her window suggests otherwise. "Come, child. I've something to show you." With that, Taya leads Wynn out to the common room, where she carefully pulls the fire bowl aside from the center of the room and pulls up the circular metal disc in the middle of the floor, revealing a dark shaft below. A ladder of sorts is built into the side of the cylindrical hole, where metal bars have been embedded in the rock. Taya starts down, then motions for you to follow.
Wynn felt great, to her surprise. She'd expected to be still a little shaky, or at least tired. Whatever "healing" involved, she was glad of it. She willingly followed Taya to the shaft. She gave Taya a doubting look as the spry older woman started down the stairs then looked back at her. "Wow, what is this place? Did you find it here?"
Taya chuckles softly, "Find it? Heavens no, child! I've known about it since I arrived on this world. Just mind your step..."

Reaching the bottom, Taya palms an unseen switch in the darkness, which illuminates a small and dated-but-modern vehicle bay. Though the technology scattered around the bay is clearly from an era past, it all looks to be in mint condition, and untouched for decades, judging by the dust that covers most surfaces. Along the back wall, a few rooms have been cut into the rock, and service and repair equipment have been mounted along the rocky ceiling. In the center of the room sat four vehicles of an unfamiliar design to Wynn, though she thought they very vaguely resembled an X-wing. The bay door was camouflaged in an elegant style: to leave, the vehicles had to maneuver through an opening that angled down sharply. From the outside, only an individual standing at exactly that angle would see anything but an unbroken cliff face, and even then, they'd just see a dark chasm that would look perfectly natural. All in all, it was a total change from the hut-like caverns above.
A delighted smile spread across Wynn's pretty, but still-bruised face. "They're beautiful! What are they? I've never seen snubs like these." Which seemed a bit strange to the girl, she'd had all kinds of remote-models as a youngster. "Was this a Clone Wars base, Taya?" This might solve their transportation issues, too.
Taya shuffles across the bay, not waiting up for Wynn, and calls over her shoulder, "Yes, yes. Hideous things, I say. Some sort of prototype fighters, I think. Rubbish, the whole lot!"

By this time, she's reached the last of the doors into the side rooms. Waving over a small sensor, the door hisses open and the glowpanels inside illuminate a small square room with pristine white walls, floor, and ceiling. A raised cube in the center of the room could have bene anything from a pedestal to a stool...or even an altar. As the two step in, the door swishes shut behind them, surrounding the women in a world of light.
Wynn, nonplussed by Taya's dismissal of her favorite "toys," nevertheless hurries to catch up with the woman, wondering what other fastastic things might be here. Entering the room, she squints in the light. Wynn studies the odd cube, then turns to Taya."What is this place, ma'am?"
Taya smiles up at Wynn, "Its a Jedi meditation chamber. Here, just keep quiet for a moment." At this she places her hands on the edges of the cube, and her brow furrows in concentration and effort. She stays like this for a long while, and just when the pilot thinks something has gone wrong and she needs to step in, Taya looks back up at Cinowyn, smiling, wiping a bit of sweat from her forehead. With the same concentration, she holds her hand out toward the cube. For a long time, nothing happens. Then suddenly, the top of the cube shifts slightly. For a short moment, Wynn blames this on her misperception, then the top of the cube clearly lifts into the air, where Taya reaches out and grasps it.
"Always did struggle with that. This is a Jedi security chest. It has a totally internal locking device that requires the telekinetic force powers of a Jedi to open," she explains, pulling a small leather case from the box. "This belonged to the Jedi master who led the forces in this little base. He instructed all the Force sensitives in his group, including me, to protect this in the event that something happened to him. I know he'd have wanted you to have it. I can feel your strength in the Force, and I'm a mere MedCorps healer. I imagine that had you been born a few decades sooner, you'd have made a fine Jedi."

Opening the leather case, the Aldaraan Lady-cum-snubjock finds a series of holocubes, for playing from a holoprojector, as well as a silvery metal cylindrical object, that her gut tells her must be one of the weapons she'd heard of the Jedi using in stories.
Wynn stood with her mouth open in amazement. If someone who "didn't have what it takes" to be a Jedi can do that, what could a real Jedi have done? Taya's explanation of what the cube was made limited sense to the pilot. Telekinetic,what's that? Force sensitive, did I fall into a holo-fantasy? Wynn automatically takes the little case from the old healer. Studying the contents, recalling the little she & Trevor had found about the Jedi weapon and marveling to see one, it took a moment for Taya's comments to penetrate.
"Me? I'm not a Jedi, ma'am. I'm just a Lady turned snub-jock-ette. I can't lift--whatever it was you did with that lid. I don't even know what you mean by 'Force,' I'm sorry." But the protest was more wistful than anything else, and Wynn found her gaze drawn back from Taya's face to the weapon, if that's what it really was. Wynn started to remove the cylinder, but pulled her hand back from the silvery smoothness. She knew better than that. "May I look at it--it is one of those light-swords?"
"Lightsaber," Taya corrects with a smile, "And don't sell yourself short. If I knew how, I'd train you myself, even just to develop your raw talent a bit. Just remember: you have a special gift. I'm sure you've seen its effects before now. A sort of invisible guiding hand, or a bit of extraordinary luck, perhaps? You must use that power for the good of others. You may do what you like with the contents of that case: it's yours."
This is almost overwhelming for Cinowyn. "How do you know I have this Force? And shouldn't you be able to teach me like you were taught? Or don't healers have to learn the way doctors do?" She took out the lightsaber ash she talked,turning it over in her hands, keeping them off anything that might have been a switch. Or does it have switches, maybe it works the way Taya took off that lid? "But how do I use this lightsaber? I don't have any idea how it works. And I've never used even a real blade weapon. My mother only taught unarmed."
"I can feel the Force in you. In time, you'll learn to feel it even more strongly than I do. As far as teaching, this sort of thing is like anything else, there's a big difference between knowing how to do a thing, and being able to teach someone else how to do it. I don't know how I do the things I do. I just do them."

Stepping over to eye up the lightsaber, Taya lifts the weapon from Wynn's hands, flips it to face the opposite direction, then instructs her, "Press this."
"Like this?" Wynn tries holding the weapon as Taya demonstrated. She double-checks where she is pointing the cylinder, then presses the indicated button, wondering what will happen.
Instantly, a meter long shaft of sapphire blue light leaps from the end of the cylinder, humming oddly. As Wynn turns the grip a bit, the humming changes frequency. Though the lightsaber looks exactly like a normal sword now (with the obvious differences in blade appearance), she has some difficulty estimating where the blade is going without the familiar weight of a metal blade to guide her. Still, the lightsaber's blue glow bathes the pristine white room in a light shade of blue, turning the box, Taya, and everything else into an azure version of themselves.
Wynn's face once more is wreathed in a wondering smile as she looks at Taya. "I've never seen anything like this..." she whispers, out of reverence or just fascination. Hesitantly, she moves the blade again, up and down, and takes a step or 2. "How am I supposed to learn to use this? It's supposed to be able to cut off limbs? I guess you can't teach this either?" Before Taya can answer the last, Wynn added, "I'm sorry, that was rude. I don't think they'd let just anybody use one of these. So if you can't teach me, how do I learn?" Her tone was once more wistful. Wynn Antilles moved a finger, deactivated the weapon, realizing that it already felt as familiar as the yoke in her Stardancer when she'd first begun to learn it's paces. "Thank you," she tells the healer, smiling in wonder as she hasn't for years, & impulsively hugging her. But the sudden fade of the sapphire light reminds her of her duty. "I think it's time to seek my friends. And I will bring you off Chalmyron if that is your wish Taya."

Donovan Morningfire
19 April 2007, 02:37 PM
Crap! was all Remy was thinking after Wynn slipped into the waters. And I was standing right next to her too, the fat lot of good that did, he added mentally, still chiding himself.

Noting Kell's vocal frustration matched Remy's own feelings about the matter, he looked down the river. Not having much experience with these sort of things, he wasn't sure on the odds of Wynn being okay after that kind of tumble. Heck of a lousy way for a fighter pilot to snuff it, he groused to himself, not that there's ever a good way to take the final jump. But at least she'd have gone on her own terms in a cockpit.

"I know how you're feeling Kell, but we might want to keep from being too vocal until we have to," Remy said cautiously, not wanting to provoke a fight, verbal or otherwise. "Don't forgot, there's still a lot of Imperials on planet, and I'd rather not test our cover story until we absolutely have to." Turning to regard Kelvin, he added "You're the experienced woodsman here, so it's your shoot. What's the plan?"

Vanger Chevane
23 April 2007, 10:49 AM
About 2 paces from the opposite bank, Wynn glances down to the water below and feels an intense wave of vertigo hit. Though uncommon in pilots, this wasn't exactly space, and she just manages to hear Vooko call out, "Wynn!" before she's suddenly flipped around below the bridge, her head impacting solidly with the rocky bankside, leaving her dangling by a few fingers. Doubly dizzy from both the vertigo & the crack on her head, Wynn nervertheless tries to focus on holding on and getting a better grip.
As she scrabbles for purchase, Remy takes a reflexive step onto the rope to give the pilot a helping hand. As he does, the ropes creak threateningly under the double load. Recoiling in alarm, the rope bounces under his reduced burden, just enough to send Wynn into the brown rushing water below.

The woman doesn't feel the ropes burn her fingers, but she does feel the hard blow of the water. Worse'n one of Mom's kicks in class, she thought, then focused on kicking for the surface. Spitting out gritty liquid as her head broke water, she tried kicking off the hiking boots. Get the boots off, but how? she wondered, trying to keep from panic. The boots don't budge, being tied firmly by Wynn herself hours ago. However, her outfit was slightly bouyant, and she had little difficulty coming to the surface for a much-needed breath. To her dismay, however, she was already a good 10 or 15 meters downstream, compliments of the swift current. Forget the *&^$ boots, gotta find something to grab, like in the holos. Wynn hoped the writers of those action-adventure holovids had done their research.


Seeing Wynn fall, Vooko grabs for his Luxan Enforcer. Trying to sight where he can put the built-in winch line so she'll either snag on it or be able to grab it.

With Wynn swiflty receding into the distance, and his own not-that-steady aim he hesitates. <i>Be my luck I totally miss, or worse, <b>spear her</b>. Shoulda spent less time with my head in an engine and more out Varminting with Kelvin.</i>

Frustrated, Vooko bites out "Sithspit!" and fights the urge to slam his cherished sidearm into the ground.


"You're the experienced woodsman here, so it's your shoot. What's the plan?" Vooko looks over to his kinsman <i>C'mon bro, we gotta do <b>something</b>...</i>

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
25 April 2007, 09:46 PM
Kelvin had his back turned to the rope bridge, giving the area ahead of them a good look when all of a sudden, there was a couple snapping sounds, then a SPLOOSH! of something hitting the water below just as Kell cursed, before Kelvin could even turn around.


Kell: "Damn!" he said, smacking his thigh in frustration, "That will complicate things; I don't think that river gets much calmer down the line. What do you think, Kelvin?" he asked the more experienced woodsman.
"I know how you're feeling Kell, but we might want to keep from being too vocal until we have to," Remy said cautiously, not wanting to provoke a fight, verbal or otherwise. "Don't forgot, there's still a lot of Imperials on planet, and I'd rather not test our cover story until we absolutely have to." Turning to regard Kelvin, he added "You're the experienced woodsman here, so it's your shoot. What's the plan?"

Vooko looked at him, as did the others as Kelvin sprinted the few paces over to the steep ravine edge - just in time to see Wynn get whisked away hurriedly down the rapid river by the strong flowing currents.

"C'mon!, lets try to follow her. Maybe we can still snare her before..." Kelvin quickly suggested, trying not to shout, and waving his arm for the others to follow and taking off on a sprint in the same direction, "Before she's out of our sight!" Kelvin finished, although sadly, it was just that - she already was out of their sight, though what really worried Kelvin was other things that could still go from bad to worse. A number of things he knew could happen - rocky rapids, waterfalls, forks in the river - none that he particularly wanted to voice outloud to the others. And that wasn't helping a pang of guilt that was rapidly swelling within as he was feeling responsible for the team's safety.

Vanger Chevane
26 April 2007, 11:01 AM
Vooko holstered his blaster - giving it a tug to make sure it'd stay with him, shifted his pack, and sprinted after Kelvin. Just like he'd done throughout his childhood.

<i>Chasing him through the back hills of home feels almost an entire <b>galaxy</b> away...</i>

Donovan Morningfire
26 April 2007, 02:19 PM
Taking Kelvin's lead, and quietly agreeing that they shouldn't be giving up hope just yet on the cute little snubjock, Remy quickly fell in behind Vooko.

If he thinks that Wynn's got a chance of being okay, that's good enough for me, Remy thought to himself. Besides, if I'm going to keep up this hero role, then I might as well play it to the hilt, he added silently. And helping to save an Alderanian noblewoman certainly falls within that range. I just hope none of the guys back home get wind of this; might ruin my less-than sterling reputation.

"You coming or what?" he teased Kell with a brief backward glance over his shoulder.

Rostek
26 April 2007, 05:26 PM
"Smug little kark..." Kell irritably muttered under his breath as he took one last forlornly dubious look at the running water. He briefly considered if this sidetrack was a good idea, but dismissed the thought with the reminder that the rest of the group was already quite committed to the whole thing.

Ris
30 April 2007, 04:01 PM
Cinowyn dropped the subject of taking Taya offworld. She figured the older woman would answer when she was ready.

The most pressing thing right now was to reunite with her teammates. Wynn had no way of knowing how long they would search for her, or even if they would decide she had died, & go on without her. She thought they would search a while before giving up--but the mission had to take priority.

She hooked the lightsaber to her belt for now, and slipped the case of holocubes into the deepest and most secure of her pockets. "Taya, do you have some extra backpacks or belt-pouches? And will you need help with breakfast?"

Wynn could not resist going over to the prototype fighters, in spite of her firend's dismissal of them. They still seemed like a good alternative to the Maiden for getting the 3 or 4 non-snubjocks offworld. If they are multi-seaters. If Kelvin never tries to fly another fighter, it will be too soon, she thought with enough affection to surprise her.

The first thing was to contact the guys however. Wynn didn't want to use a comm, even if the equipment could be tuned to any of the channels her friends would monitor. There was too much chance the Imps might pick them up. Yes, Imp. garrisons on isolated worlds could be quite lax, but Wynn didn't want to trust their lives and Taya's on that being true--especially when what Taya had said about exercises indicated the commandant expected his people to be alert. How, then?

Wynn couldn't think what old holo-adventure--or could it have been historical fiction?--had shown beings hearing each others' thoughts. Had they been Jedi? It was possible. They were sometimes featured as holo-villains, particularly in the very early days of the Empire, before the Empire apparently decided that was one of the Republic memories it wanted to obliterate. Also before some lucky holo-studio discovered that O-so-cute preteen boy. What was his name? Funny how she could recall face, but not name.

"Taya, can--could--Jedi talk to people over distance? I mean without a commlink? With this Force...?" Wynn wasn't sure if she was making any sense but if she was so strong at this as Taya thought, she owed it to her friends--to the Alliance--to use it. "Can I talk to my friends this way?"

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
3 May 2007, 12:19 AM
A few minutes later, Kelvin and the team came to the river canyon's end - a near solid wall straight down to the waterline; save for what might've been at one time a large cave entrance, the remaining archway appearing just a couple feet above water.

"Frak!" Kelvin cursed in disappointment & frustration. "I knew I should've secured a line across the bridge. We had the rope for it..."

"Can anyone see her down there? A jacket caught on something or anything?, if not, lets try look for where the river exits on the other side. If the river flows in one end, its gotta flow out another..."

Donovan Morningfire
7 May 2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar &amp; Raven
"Can anyone see her down there? A jacket caught on something or anything?, if not, lets try look for where the river exits on the other side. If the river flows in one end, its gotta flow out another..."
"I don't see anything," Remy replied, straining to see any sign of Wynn as he moved closer to where Kelvin was standing. "But that doesn't mean quite as much given how quick this river's flowing."

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
22 May 2007, 07:41 AM
"Well, c'mon guys, lets scout out the area. I'd think its best to leaving the water filled cave entrance as a last resort. I just hope she's still alive..." Kelvin suggested, as he started to search around, leaving the river behind him.

Donovan Morningfire
22 May 2007, 12:44 PM
Following Kelvin's lead, Remy started searching for some sign that maybe Wynn had managed to crawl out of the river before being swept under the rock wall.

It may not be likely, but it was better odds than hoping Wynn had made it under the rock wall...

[i]Of course, now would be the perfect time for an Imperial ambush,[/i} the scoundrel sardonically noted as he kept checking the area, deciding to maybe pay more attention for the sounds of incoming repulsors and letting the wilderness experts look for any tracks from the snub-jockette.

Vanger Chevane
22 May 2007, 09:35 PM
"Well, c'mon guys, lets scout out the area. I'd think its best to leaving the water filled cave entrance as a last resort. I just hope she's still alive..."
Vooko thought of pitting the skill he'd developed playing with Kelvin & other members of his large patchwork Family in the pools, creeks, & ponds all over the hills of the Tancredi Estate against the swift current that had swept Wynn Zim-knows-where and shuddered.

Least I've a Breather and can swim. Some of these guys may have bout the same chance in that river as a Mynock in atmosphere...

"Aye, but we'll need to be fast, and split to check both sides.

A trail of dripped water may not last long...or lead to something we don't want to square off with."

Rostek
22 May 2007, 09:49 PM
Kell, with a wary scowl upon his face, reluctantly followed the woodsy scout.
He was still concerned about the potential for derailing the mission over a missing member, and the increasing danger of an Imperial attack while their attentions were placed elsewhere.
However, it seemed that he was the only one with such concerns, and the only thing worse than the current plan, he mused, was splitting up.
Resigned to his current trip, Kell nevertheless kept his weapon at the ready as he brought up the rear, watching for the much-feared ambush.

coldskier0320
30 June 2007, 01:23 PM
As the men of the group continue downstream in search of Wynn, they lose the creek that had been their constant companion since early yesterday morning, as it flowed into the rocky cliff face. Kel leads the four men into the edge of the forest for cover, keeping the cliff within sight at all times, in effect 'handrailing' the rocky wall, hoping to find out where the water emerges from it.

With the thought of ambush at the front of everyones' minds, the group stays quiet, keeping their eyes peeled for any signs they'd been spotted. At a few points, they come to tiny streams, all easily stepped over or walked through at less than ankle depth. To their dismay, however, each of these tiny rivulets flowed straight to the cliff, where they promptly disappeared under the rocks.

Eventually, the sun started its descent into the mountains, and the rebels were forced to find a good place to make camp for the night. A bit of searching, and Kel decides that their best option is where a huge tree had recently fallen, and the hole where the base had been provided the best shelter, with the now exposed roots forming a thick wall of earth and vegetation. Within minutes, the group has made a first rate lean-to large enough to hold them all. Everyone agrees that a fire would be a bad idea, so they settle in for a long night...one woman short...

[OOC: More to come]

Vanger Chevane
30 June 2007, 05:01 PM
"Well, this is great.

We either keep searching for some second access to wherever the river goes, rope someone off & fish them in hoping they find something before we run out of line, or jump in at it's mercy."

Looks over at Kell & Remy

"You can swim, yes?"

Donovan Morningfire
1 July 2007, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Vanger Chevane
"Well, this is great.

We either keep searching for some second access to wherever the river goes, rope someone off & fish them in hoping they find something before we run out of line, or jump in at it's mercy."

Looks over at Kell & Remy

"You can swim, yes?"
"Just well enough not to drown," Remy replied. "Sorry, but there's not much of a need for swimmers in my line of work."

Rostek
1 July 2007, 01:36 PM
"Swimming is a last-ditch survival activity only where I come from... sorry," Kell shrugged sympathetically.
He was still rather nervous, but that nothing bad had happened yet was a somewhat encouraging sign.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
5 July 2007, 02:27 AM
They had made their makeshift shelter as the sun began to set, the remaining light painting the landscape and everyone around in deep yellow and orange ultrabrite hues. Normally a warm, calm and relaxing sight to signal the end of the day. But this evening it was cold to Kelvin, as if taunting them, taking all its secrets including Wynn with it, as it was vanishing behind the mountains.

"Well, at any rate, thats still better than swimming like a rock." Kelvin mused with a shrug, being perhaps the only point just a shade brighter than their dour situation. And it wasn't by much either.

Who was Kelvin trying to kid? Himself perhaps, but it wasn't working. He was feeling the weight of the responsibility that they just lost a teammate on his shoulders, through his bones.

Digging out some of their rations, indicating to Kell and Remy, "I suppose the next question is - either of you know any life saving skills?" Kelvin knew that time could be crucial and its possibly a race they already had lost - if Wynn was still out there and in such need, yet still out of their reach. Kelvin shelved the thought, he had to. The worst pat of it always was the 'not knowing, or so he was told once. But was it really any less worse than knowing and living with the end result?

Instead or further self dwelling on the subject, "Well, say suppose we all jumped in the river and see where it takes us. Us versus the water. And if some of us don't fair so well, it might be crucial that more than one of us has any knowledge in that department."

Kelvin took a bit out of the rations he opened, not bothering to read the content label first. It all pretty much tasted the same anyways. And with each bite, he knew the sunlight was getting dim. The light itself like time synonymous with life too was fading. And Kelvin hoped they wouldn't be too late.

Vanger Chevane
5 July 2007, 07:09 PM
"I suppose the next question is - either of you know any life saving skills?" Kelvin knew that time could be crucial and its possibly a race they already had lost - if Wynn was still out there and in such need, yet still out of their reach. Kelvin shelved the thought, he had to. The worst pat of it always was the 'not knowing, or so he was told once. But was it really any less worse than knowing and living with the end result?

Instead or further self dwelling on the subject, "Well, say suppose we all jumped in the river and see where it takes us. Us versus the water. And if some of us don't fair so well, it might be crucial that more than one of us has any knowledge in that department."

Vooko repressed commenting on the skill he'd built up patching himself, Zarya, and Kelvin in particular from their various misadventures both on the Tancredi Estate and Star Street.

"Kelvin, if we all jump in and there's a bone-crushing drop, or something large & hungry in there, we're all karked with no hope of someone saying a few words over our carcasses...let alone rescue.

Best bet would likely be fishing you in there on a line with a breather & a comlink so we can get an idea on what's actually in there up to the length of the line. Once we reel you back in I can at least get you a semi-professional bandaging...again."

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
15 July 2007, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Vanger Chevane Best bet would likely be fishing you in there on a line with a breather & a comlink so we can get an idea on what's actually in there up to the length of the line. Once we reel you back in I can at least get you a semi-professional bandaging...again."
"Just like that one cave when we were kids. Except back then we didn't have much of a line, no rebreather or comlink. Just a glow rod and a multitool. Those were the days, eh Vook?" Kelvin reminisced with a sigh.

Kelvin began checking his belt and backpack to see what he'd need. Some gear was essential, while the rest wasn't and would just be excess weight dragging him down once he got into the water. Or in the case of strong currents, get dragged in easier.

coldskier0320
27 July 2007, 08:05 AM
[Chalmyron, 02:45, local time]

From the middle of a troubled sleep, Kelvin Radegant wakes suddenly, sitting upright and nearly rapping his head against a tree limb he'd used in building the shelter. Letting his eyes adjust to the darkness, he spied Vooko, sitting motionless near the shelter entrance, awake on guard duty.

Kel is about to call out softly to his best friend when some gut instinct tells him to keep quiet...and still. Studying Vooko's posture, he can tell that the pilot isn't just being alert, but staring intently at a specific area out in the blackness. Years of working with Vooko gives him some more information about his mood, as he senses that his friend isn't particularly alarmed, but whatever has caught his attention was probably out of the ordinary.

Just then, Vooko glances back in on his teammates and sees that Kel is awake. Motioning to him slowly, silently, Vooko beckons him to come up to the entrance, but to stay quiet. Once they're together, Vooko murmurs, at the edge of audibility,

"Noise and movement in those bushes at one o' clock, about twenty meters. Haven't seen anything for about--."

Vooko is cut off as a branch on the bushes the two are looking at rustles slightly, and both of them hear a sound that, in the brief moment it was heard, sounded like metal scraping softly against stone. As quick as it happened, however, it is over, and the two men are left in silence...and a sense of danger.

[OOC: Vooko and Kel succeeded on Listen checks that Remy and Kell failed. You guys will be asleep until something wakes you. Vooko and Kel, with the amount of light available and the distinctness of the noise, you can surmise that whatever created the noise is within a meter of the ground under those bushes. Though you may suffer penalties, yu may target the source of the noise with an attack if you wish.]

Vanger Chevane
30 July 2007, 01:36 PM
Vooko quietly drew his Luxan Enforcer, thumbing it over to Stun. Feeling more than hearing the soft ping of it warming up.

Without moving his gaze from just to the side of where he thought whatever-it-was is located, he whispers to Kelvin "Your bow is a lot quieter than this, let me know when you're set up and I'll handle a challenge."