PDA

View Full Version : how does darth know?

king_watto
5 December 2005, 01:11 AM
hey i was wondering the other day.... how does darth vader know that luke is his son? i mean, he knows he is going to have a child... because he knew that padme was pregnant. but how did he actually know that luke was his blood son? wasnt obi-wan supposed to 'secretly' hide him on tattoine?
can anyone answer my dillema?

-kign_watto-

da_gm
5 December 2005, 01:48 AM
This is speculation but:

During the battle of Yavin, Darth knows he chased the guy he fired the shot that blew up the Death Star. He sensed that the force was very strong in the pilot, just like him. Not enough reason to suspekt anything, but...

later it becomes known that the rebel who destroyed the death star was Luke Skywalker, at least throughout the rebel alliance. And I'm sure imperial intelligence picked up on that one way or another.

Now Vader is faced with a Skywalker who is strong in the force, too much to be coinsidence. He "knows" that Padme died in child birth, but there is a chance that the child she was carrying survived.

Later when Vader confronts Luke on cloud city, he recognises Lukes force signature, as being the same as the one he felt at Yavin (remember that Vader can recongise people through their aura, just as he did with Obi on DS). And also when confronting Luke eye to eye, and he has a good chance to get a good "feel" of Luke, there is no doubt in his mind.

at least that's my two creds...

king_watto
5 December 2005, 02:48 AM
ya. that sounds like a very probable answer. i was pretty sure that imperial itellegence would have picked it up. and the name skywalker was too much of a coencidence. also that luke was a force user that also probably gave it away. thanks for the thought. hope others share theirs too.:)

:vader: :anakin:

-king_watto-

Darth Fierce
5 December 2005, 03:45 AM
The "true" answer is as follows:

Not long after the first Death Star was destroyed, a Rebel agent was captured by the Empire and tortured by Vader (who was in search of the name of the starfighter pilot who had evaded him). After a while, the agent was unable to stand the pain any longer and revealed that the pilot's last name was Skywalker. Vader understood what this meant, and there you go....

Darth Fierce :vader:

Marty-Wan
5 December 2005, 04:14 AM
Didn’t Vader find out about Luke in the comic series “Vader’s Quest”?

All the same it couldn’t have been Vader “feeing” him through the force because – earlier in Episode VI Vader is face to face with his daughter, and judging by their conversation it wasn’t the first time.

Another question is if Obi-Wan wanted to truly hide Luke, why would he bring him to the Lars homestead, a place that Vader had been to before on the planet Vader was from? Also why not have him adopt the name Lars why keep Skywalker? If you ask me Obi-Wan wanted Vader to eventually come face to face with his son, it’s a crazy plan but I guess in the end it worked.

darkforcerising
5 December 2005, 05:17 AM
About Leia, I would say that it's because Leia wasn't in tune with the Force they way Luke was when he blew up the Death Star. So Darth Vader really didn't sense the Force within her. Another thing is it seems to be the case that Luke is much stronger in the Force than Leia ever will be, so Vader would have had a much easier time sensing Luke.

And I would agree tha Obi-Wan (and Yoda, probably) fully intended for Luke to eventually face Darth Vader as his father.

Lucas Carr
5 December 2005, 06:08 AM
On Cloud City Lando tells the others that Vader is looking for someone called Skywalker.

Kelcheck
5 December 2005, 07:55 AM
I perfer the reasons given...

But good ol George Lucas has muddle things up again... In his new version of the EMpire Strikes Back, released to DVD, they added a new scene of Vader talking to the The emperor via hologram, where the Emp tells Vader that the one he is seaking, and the rebel that destroyed his death star is the son of anakin skywalker. I think that Vader could have figured this all out a while before and this scene was not nessisary. the opening crwl even says that Vader is Obsessed with finding skywalker, and vader is smart enough to figure out that a guy named skywalker that destroyed the death star (the rebels touted him as a hero for PR reasons anyway) that was in the company of his old master, that was on a ship that blasted off his old home world... might just be a relative, right?

king_watto
5 December 2005, 07:16 PM
ok. thanks guys. that clears some stuff up. i would probably go with the deleted scene in episode V because im sure george intended to explain that, but never got around or couldent because of the length of the movie.

-king_watto-

BrianDavion
5 December 2005, 08:43 PM
The emperor via hologram, where the Emp tells Vader that the one he is seaking, and the rebel that destroyed his death star is the son of anakin skywalker. I think that Vader could have figured this all out a while before and this scene was not nessisary. the opening crwl even says that Vader is Obsessed with finding skywalker, and vader is smart enough to figure out that a guy named skywalker that destroyed the death star
Just cause Palpy told Vader doesn't mean Vader didn't know. Vader honestly proably would purposefully avoid brining it up.

as for how Vader knew, IIRC Luke Skywalker kept his Ancestory no secrect. especially as Anakin Skywalker was a Jedi hero dureing the clone wars.

wolverine
5 December 2005, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by darkforcerising
About Leia, I would say that it's because Leia wasn't in tune with the Force they way Luke was when he blew up the Death Star. So Darth Vader really didn't sense the Force within her. Another thing is it seems to be the case that Luke is much stronger in the Force than Leia ever will be, so Vader would have had a much easier time sensing Luke.

And I would agree tha Obi-Wan (and Yoda, probably) fully intended for Luke to eventually face Darth Vader as his father.

IMO yes he did. As to Leia, i also feel Vader was not searching for someone force wise there, therefore he was probabily not paying attention to her possible force projection. Luke on the other hand shined like a light...

But good ol George Lucas has muddle things up again... In his new version of the EMpire Strikes Back, released to DVD, they added a new scene of Vader talking to the The emperor via hologram, where the Emp tells Vader that the one he is seaking, and the rebel that destroyed his death star is the son of anakin skywalker. I think that Vader could have figured this all out a while before and this scene was not nessisary. the opening crwl even says that Vader is Obsessed with finding skywalker, and vader is smart enough to figure out that a guy named skywalker that destroyed the death star (the rebels touted him as a hero for PR reasons anyway) that was in the company of his old master, that was on a ship that blasted off his old home world... might just be a relative, right?

IIRC it was in the origonal version, not retconned and added in for the special editions....

da_gm
6 December 2005, 01:24 AM
Luke on the other hand shined like a light...

And he was actualy using the force to guide his shot when Vader chased him down the trench, and I suspect it would be even easier to sense someone using the force.

Sithspawn
6 December 2005, 03:26 AM
You see, it started just before Luke meets up with Obi-Wan in ANH. By now old Obi is getting a bit senile, forgetting things, R2, etc. and wandering the Jundland Wastes doing Krayt Dragon impressions. So senile Obi gets home and looks at his calendar. Do shopping (water, bantha sausages...), Yoda's 900th birthday (remember to plan surprise party), Anakins birthday. Now it slips senile Obi's mind that Ani went all dark and evil, so promptly send him a Birthday card signed Happy Birthday Darth, lot of love, little Luke and uncle Obi.

Hence Darth Vaders mutterings on the Death Star that gets mis-heard, "A presence I've not felt since..." He meant PRESENTS. You see what he was thinking was, "Obi-Wan sent me a card but no present the cheapo git!" Right! From that moment on his fall to the Dark Side was complete and Darth Vader set about hunting down and killing both Luke and Obi-Wan who hadn't bothered to buy him a birthday present.

And the moral of the story is: Even a Sith Lord just wants to be loved ;)

Yes, it is a slow day at work :D

Xain Arke
6 December 2005, 06:14 AM
Yes, it is a slow day at work

so it would appear..;) :D

Xain

djas_puhr
6 December 2005, 06:18 AM
Agreed, tis a very slow day here at work... :D B)

Tao
9 December 2005, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Kelcheck
I perfer the reasons given...

But good ol George Lucas has muddle things up again... In his new version of the EMpire Strikes Back...

That scene has always been there. George simply reshot the footage of the Emperor so that the face matched those in Episodes 1-3 and Return of the Jedi.

Thinithil
9 December 2005, 12:11 PM
He changed a line or two or three as well in the Emperor transmission. "Son of Skywalker" became "Offspring of Anakin Skywalker" if memory serves. That would be a telling line since Padme is buried "made-up" as to seem still pregnant i.e. died before giving birth. Vader never looked for the child(ren) or suspected because as far as he knew he killed Padme on Mustafar before she could give birth. That's how I interpretted the dialogue change anyway.

gmjabreson
11 December 2005, 06:02 PM
I can't remember where I read it but vader did find out about Skywalker when torturing a rebel soldier after the empire destroyed another rebel base. As for leia I agree he wasn't looking for a person with force abilities at the time of thier confrontation. But it does shock me that he doesn't realize her ability when he tortures her in the Death Star. He never wondered why it was hard to torture her and no one else?

Lord Kjeran
13 December 2005, 09:38 PM
Chello!

Originally posted by gmjabreson
I can't remember where I read it but vader did find out about Skywalker when torturing a rebel soldier after the empire destroyed another rebel base.

A Dark Horse comic...Vader's Quest...iirc????

Tony

The Admiral
12 January 2006, 06:26 PM
Just a quick mention. Luke does run into a high security ploitically sensitive and therefore VERY bugged cell yelling 'I'm Luke Skywalker' whilst the last of the missing Jedi Knights has a showdown with Vader, shortly before they all escape in a distinctive ship which returns later during the battle to defend the one force-using starfighter with a compatriotly 'You're all clear kid,'.
There's no need for any other explanation. Until the escape from the Death Star Vader is unaware of a potential offspring, he then has at least one year to put the resources of the Empire to use filling in the small blanks.

The Admiral
12 January 2006, 06:29 PM
Just a quick mention. Luke does run into a high security politically sensitive and therefore VERY bugged cell yelling 'I'm Luke Skywalker' whilst the last of the missing Jedi Knights has a showdown with Vader, shortly before they all escape in a distinctive ship last seen leaving Vader's homeworld, which returns later during the battle to defend the one force-using starfighter with a comradely 'You're all clear kid,'.

There's no need for any other explanation.

Until the escape from the Death Star Vader is unaware of a potential offspring, he then has at least one year to put the resources of the Empire to use filling in the small blanks.