PDA

View Full Version : Deck The Cars

Darth_Cassed
21 December 2005, 07:54 PM
Hey all, just wanted to go on a rant about car accidents.

Someone, somewhere, is approaching an intersection. The light turns yellow. That driver keeps going, as he is at the point of no return. Another driver, Driver B, is heading the opposite direction, in the same situation, but he is turning left instead of going straight like Driver A. This means Driver B has to cross over the intersection, over the path of Driver A. So Driver B decides to make his turn, crossing over Driver A's path through the intersection and causing Driver A to impact him at around 30 mph. Driver A's car is totalled, and Driver B's car is mostly fine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/cassed/car.jpg

Driver A's car was that of my own. I walked away from the accident with a cut right hand and a bruised up left arm on my wrist, forearm and especially in my shoulder. I must have impacted the door pretty hard. It was, however, the coldest day of the year, hanging around zero degrees that I was standing in for a half hour.

I hope his insurance company pays up, as I got zero tickets and he got 2 resulting from the accident.

Rostek
21 December 2005, 08:35 PM
Ooooo, ouch... (manly pat on begrieved's shoulder)
That sucks man. Hope the company pays up and your rates don't jump too much :(

wolverine
22 December 2005, 02:37 AM
How far were you away from the light when it first turned yellow? Also what was your speed??? Here in guam, that is one of the main reasons we have accidents, is people thinking they can 'make it' before it goes red, or just flat out running the red.

Darth_Cassed
22 December 2005, 03:39 AM
As I was approaching it, maybe 12 feet from the intersection it changed to yellow, and I was heading a little over 30 mph. Not sure of the other guy's speed or story.

wolverine
22 December 2005, 04:12 AM
How far was he? Did either of you accelerate when you saw the yellow light?

Grimace
22 December 2005, 05:07 AM
Here in Montana, a vehicle in the intersection, waiting to turn, "controls" the intersection in that the traffic sitting at the other lights cannot enter the intersection until he/she vacates it by completing the turn. However, the vehicle waiting in the intersection has the responsibility to make sure that the way to turn is clear of traffic and pedestrians.

So in the case, as presented here, the guy turning would be at fault. It sounds like the police at the scene may have agreed with that particular method of traffic regulation. If the guy has insurance, he'll be paying for the whole shebang. If not, the poor Cassed may be paying for the insurance to get his vehicle fixed.

Either way, you probably won't have a vehicle to drive for a good couple two or three weeks. Even longer with the funky holiday schedule that places have this time of year. Sorry to hear about the whole thing, Cassed. It sucks royally to have your vehicle wrecked by someone else. I know, it happened to me a few years back. Just keep a stiff upper lip and keep on top of the claim so you know how fast it's progressing and whether or not the guy is trying anything funny to slip out from his responsibility to pay.

Darth_Cassed
22 December 2005, 07:00 AM
Oh don't worry Grimace, the other insurance company has already been trying some interesting things. The first thing they said when we contacted them was that the accident was 50-50 because I got a ticket too, which isn't true. The other man got 2 tickets and I got none. Now they've stopped all contact over the past couple days, so we'll have to bug em.

And as for the car, if the other insurance company doesn't pay, it's gone without repair or replacement, as we did not have coverage for the car itself, only liability for me and such.

Darth Fierce
22 December 2005, 07:45 AM
Ach! I hate car accidents, especially the whole rigamarole following the incident. One of my good friends several years back was killed when a man under the influence of drugs ran a red light and collided with her vehicle. :(

In a separate incident, I was sitting at a red light with a car behind me, when all of a sudden, a third car driven by a man (under the influence of drugs, again, though I didn't know it at the time) smashed into the car behind me, which, in turn sent that car rolling into mine. The man then indicated that all three of us drivers were going to pull into a parking lot to exchange insurance information. Then, as me and the girl driving the car behind me moved to do this, the guy who caused the accident sped away. While me and the girl called the cops to report this guy, it turns out he crashed into another car, and didn't escape from the scene that time. The cops arrested him, but the resulting fiasco regarding police paperwork for the wreck and insurance companies took at least a month to settle out. At one point, one of the insurance company even thought I was the one that caused the collision!!! :mad:

Anyway, sorry to hear about your car Cassed. Sounds like the guy in the other car didn't pay attention to the whole yield to oncoming traffic rule associated with such intersections.

Darth Fierce :vader:

Vanger Chevane
22 December 2005, 01:36 PM
Fun thing about insurance companies...they tend to become very cooperative when you respond consistently to their absurdities and attempts to wriggle out of their responsibilities with those Four Little Words...

"See You In Court." :P

BTW if they insist on playing games, retaining a lawyer may be a worthwhile investment. Have all documentation checked and verified by someone you can trust & who understands the arcane language before you sign to anything. ;)

Darth Fierce
22 December 2005, 02:50 PM
I don't know about Cassed, but I do know that in my case, my parents and I were talking about a lawyer into the situation, when things finally got settled. Funny you should mention the advice, Vanger. :D

Darth_Cassed
23 December 2005, 03:31 AM
The timing of the incident doesn't help either, as everyone is closing down for the weekend. I called and tried to get a hold of my insurance company, but no one's there. And as for trying to get a copy of the police report, they said to try on Tuesday, as they are closed for 4 days :(

wolverine
23 December 2005, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Vanger Chevane
Fun thing about insurance companies...they tend to become very cooperative when you respond consistently to their absurdities and attempts to wriggle out of their responsibilities with those Four Little Words...

"See You In Court." :P

BTW if they insist on playing games, retaining a lawyer may be a worthwhile investment. Have all documentation checked and verified by someone you can trust & who understands the arcane language before you sign to anything. ;)

While i have not had to go through that rigomoris, i know several people who have... and depending on the size of the Insurance company, they might not fear that phrase that much....

Sithspawn
23 December 2005, 09:29 AM
Sorry to hear about your car getting trashed man, especially this time of year.

I hope it all works out in your favour.

Vanger Chevane
23 December 2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by wolverine

While i have not had to go through that rigomoris, i know several people who have... and depending on the size of the Insurance company, they might not fear that phrase that much....
They might not, but I'm pretty certain their Client would. And for a company having a client sue them for Fraud after having the injured party come after them personally is certainly bad for business. ;)

SmugglerJedi
25 December 2005, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Cassed:
And as for trying to get a copy of the police report, they said to try on Tuesday, as they are closed for 4 days .

Huh? The police station is closed? I mean, I know people have to have holidays, but they're the frigging police! Aren't they always supposed to be open? Crime doesn't stop just because the tree goes up.

Anyways, sorry about the car. Yeah, that other guy better pay up. And may I just say, I hate about 99% of the corporations in existence (I say 99% because the one I irregularly work for isn't bad at all.) Insurance companies are just another type I dislike.

But I know nothing of courtroom drama, so don't ask me. Again, sorry.

Grimace
25 December 2005, 07:04 AM
Knowing what I know about police, the entirety of the Police station doesn't close down, just the majority of it. There are patrol officers that still have to work, and dispatchers, but the administrative offices, and officers filling paperwork post-accident are not obliged to show up during the holidays. Therefore, something like a report about an accident will either A- Not be filed by the officer on-site because he didn't have to put in the extra time to finish it up. or B- Has been filed but need to go through the proper channels to verification and certification, and all of those "channels" are closed up for the Christmas break, so therefore it's not finished. or C- It's all done, and simply needs to be pulled out of a particular file to be given out, but those files are maintained, organized and regulated by the admin offices, which are all closed for Christmas.

So while the police stations close, there are still police working, just not enough to deal with all of the normal duties associated with police work and -in this case- traffic accidents.

Think of it this way...if you were to get in an accident on a day today (Christmas itself), you'd have to wait an awful long time to get all of the paperwork done. The officers would have the stuff from immediately preceding the holiday, all of the stuff the happened the day or two before IN the holiday, and then they could get to yours. Holidays are certainly not easy for police in the paperwork department, but those guys deserve a break now and then too.

SmugglerJedi
25 December 2005, 05:14 PM
Well, at least it isn't entirely closed. I feel much better now.

coldskier0320
5 January 2006, 05:53 PM
This is kinda weird, I was in an accident on 12-20-04.

While driving down a street w/ parallel parked cars, some guy decides its a good idea NOT to look before he pull out, and CRUNCH goes the passenger fender of Jane (my Cavalier). Well, here in PA you can't drive legally without insurance on your car. So after a similar runaround to yours, Cassed, we come to the fact of the matter, which is that the guy who hit me was driving the vehicle, of the two they had, that was uninsured, illegally. (He gave me expired or incorrect info, i can't remember).

Similar to Vanger's tactic, I actually used the phrase on the phone with the guy, "Well, that's fine, but my next call is going to be to the state police."

Needless to say, a $900 check was in the mail the next day. ;)

Darth_Cassed
6 January 2006, 03:33 AM
I think I was more concerned of the fact that you named your car Jane.

Darth Fierce
6 January 2006, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Darth_Cassed
I think I was more concerned of the fact that you named your car Jane.

Jane...interesting.

Let's see if I remember the names of all my cars from the past.

Well, first there was the Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme I named "Nivore." Get it? Car + Nivore = Carnivore.

Then there was my Toyota pickup I named "Old Blue." Self explanatory why, really....

Next was my Ford Probe I called "Little Red."

Now I have a Chevrolet Prizm, though I've not given it a name yet....

I've always thought of my cars as girls, though. Maybe it's helped me treat my vehicles fairly well.

Jaggard
27 January 2006, 07:49 PM
you had a probe andyou named it lil red. Dude your hobby involves aliens, and you drive a probe... come on. :D

Sorry to hear all the trouble with the car.

My car had a less spectacular end. Um it desided to go to the little cars room and empty itself of transmition fluid without letting me know...
... Several months later it stopped moving. So I tinkered and found the problem and 'fixed it'...
... Christmas day on the way to mums house (in rural NewHampshire) it stopped working as it had emptied it's transmission again.

I had to buy a new car, and it was a small miracle I found anything in the dirt poor price range. I drove the old girl in first gear all the way. They gave me $100 trade in and informed me that it cost them more to have it towed off the lot.

I've got my new-ish car, and the last bit of detail is the insurance. Which has almost tripled to $150/month. I think well okay I signed up to pay by the month so I'll just do this month then switch to the lizard (who quoted me something that breaks down to 70/moth). So I talk to my insurance and they say *mind boggling legalese* deposit *technical mumbo jumbo* remaining.
"so if I decided to switch policies now?"
"You'd have to pay the remaining 880 as a penalty for leaving before the end of the term."
"So I'd end up covered for the next eight months?"
"No you'd have terminated your policy the 880 is the penalty for withdrawing."

Well geeze. Let me think pay 880 and get covered for it or pay it anyway and not get coverage, decisions decisions.

Then the very next day I go out and see my new car in the plowed driveway with two gougesin the plastic bumper and a long scraspe in the paint near the bumper.

So much for pretty and brand new looking.

Lord Kjeran
30 January 2006, 09:30 AM
Chello!

Dude, I sympathize. I went through an intersection a couple of years back and the someone in the crossing street did not stop and plowed right into me. The insurance tried to weasl at first,; however, the witnesses were an off-duty police officer and a "citizens on patrol" volunteer. It don't get much better than that! ;)

Tony

Darth_Cassed
31 January 2006, 03:13 AM
We may have made a *slight* threat of legal action, and have now received our check for the value of my totalled car :D

coldskier0320
31 January 2006, 03:15 AM
We may have made a *slight* threat of legal action, and have now received our check for the value of my totalled car

It's a shame it has to come to that, but I'm glad to see justice was done! :D It's good to hear some good news from ya, Kuh-said!

Darth_Cassed
31 January 2006, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by coldskier0320

It's a shame it has to come to that, but I'm glad to see justice was done! :D It's good to hear some good news from ya, Kuh-said!

Yea, I still lurk the boards everyday, but find little to contribute :(

Darth_Cassed
22 February 2006, 10:20 AM
For those that want to see the new car

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/cassed/carcopy.jpg

Vanger Chevane
22 February 2006, 02:21 PM
B)

Darth Fierce
22 February 2006, 02:43 PM
At first I was going to say, "Great Agamemnon's Ghost, is this thread really still alive?!?"

But now that I've seen the new car, I must say, "Not bad...not bad, indeed!" B)

tauchiss
21 April 2006, 03:49 PM
Nice wheels! But you should have gotten that lanspeed that was on Ebay