PDA

View Full Version : For the Pete of SAKE!

Drendar Morevo
23 December 2005, 09:13 PM
Ok, this has gone on far enough... the Plural of Jedi is JEDI not JEDIS!

It annoys the everlasting F*** outta me whenever I see this, I feel these people must be utter idiots!

I could understand it in Jedi Outcast, the Chiss Bartender had a Speech Impediment, but past that there is no foreseeable reason anyone could think the plural of Jedi is Jedis.... gah. When it gets on a Website such as Atomfilms where thousands of people can see it and be confused by this stupidity it has gone too far.

Noun: I am a Jedi
Singular: He is a Jedi
Plural: Look at those Jedi
Adjective: He is such a Jedi

As vanger chevane mentioned to me, this is right up there with people who think the Plural of sheep is sheeps.

Rostek
23 December 2005, 10:15 PM
I can understand it being used (as you point out) within the context of Star Wars stories, since the Jedi Order is such a enigmatic organization, the proper use of their name probably isn't a huge bit of public knowledge off of planets without a Jedi presence (especially during the Empire's reign, though probably less so during periods of war where the Jedi become prominent).
However, from a meta standpoint, it is quite nearly unacceptable for a big SW fan unless English isn't your native tongue.

SmugglerJedi
25 December 2005, 03:55 AM
Yeah, and there are plenty of people out there who don't speak English. But for those Englishnians who just say wrongly...dude, those people are such morons. They need to be shot or something.

Snowtiger
25 December 2005, 05:35 AM
I think it's pretty obvious that some people don't have proper education in the English language, or have neglected their studies on it. This usually means that if their posts are hurriedly done and not thought out properly, it can give someone proficient in the language a headache to read all those poorly written run-in sentences and other pains in the neck.

The Chiss in Jedi Outcast could either have a speech impediment, or he's not fluent enough in Basic to understand that there is virtually no difference between the singular term and the plural form of it. He is to be excused, because he either cannot pronounce the word correctly, or is not fluent enough to notice that he's pronouncing it wrong.

What about suffixes then?

Could I use things like "the Jedi's lightsaber swung in an arc of blue light" when describing an unknown Jedi's moves? Yes that seems to work, because the suffix doesn't change the base word.

A Jedi is a Jedi is a Jedi, there are numerous other words in the English language that don't differ plurally. It's easy to stumble on these things if you don't know any better. Sure its a pain to read such poor English, but not all of us have an equal standing on foreign languages(especially if they're not one of the domestic languages).

I have been fortunate enough to become interested in the English language and have paid attention during classes. As you can see, I'm fluent enough in English to be able to speak read and write it as a second language, although people still can make a difference between my english, and that of a native English poster.

Instead of having difficulties in learning new languages, I've had my difficulties in math. I'm barely able to cite multiplication tables from the top of my head, and advanced maths give me a lot of trouble. Fortunately, I do have a calculator, so I don't necessarily have to calculate them using the one between my ears, which is more a translator than a calculator.

I agree with the original poster:

Jedi (singular), Jedi (plural). There is no JEDIS.

Darth Fierce
25 December 2005, 07:52 AM
I've never really had a problem with people using the word Jedis. Personally, I use the word Jedi for the plural form...but I can see where some diversity might come into play.

Take, for instance, the word "fish." What would you say is the plural form of that word? Fish...right? Not exactly. Consider this:

--When you have more than one fish of the same species, you refer to the group as fish.

--However, when you have two or more fish of different species, you refer to them as fishes.

So, who's to say that the word "Jedis" couldn't be appropriate at times? It very well could in some contexts.

Just something to think about...

Darth Fierce :vader:

SmugglerJedi
25 December 2005, 05:21 PM
I agree w/ <b>Snowtiger</b> and am intimidated by <b>Darth Fierce</b>'s glare. :D

Bob Boop
19 January 2006, 03:57 AM
Ya all you guys are right but it just sounds wrong. I mean do they ever say "Jedis", probably not. And besides there are not different kinds of Jedi, they are all Jedi.

I have never heard of any group of fish being called "fishes"

Xain Arke
19 January 2006, 04:47 AM
Jedi is clearly both the singular and plural

two examples of this; when C3PO [battle droid body] from AOTC shouts "Die Jedi Dogs" or similar, and in ROTJ the Emperor say "so be it Jedi" to Luke before zapping him with lightning.

actually you can have fishes, even though fish is singular and plural you can still have the word fishes...strangely enough :)

Xain

boccelounge
19 January 2006, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Bob Boop

From The Godfather, Part I:
SONNY (unwrapping the package of Luca's bulletproof vest-wrapped fish]

What the hell is this?

CLEMENZA

It's a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes.

HTH.

;) :D