PDA

View Full Version : IC: NR Marines: The Way It Was



Mack Jace
13 January 2006, 09:53 AM
---------------------------------------NR Marines---------------------------------------
------------------------------------The Way It Was-------------------------------------


After being at war with the Empire for so many years, peace is welcome in the New Republic. People are prospering, the economy is doing well, and everything is good. Or so they thought. For there are rumors that a new threat has made itself known, something that no one has ever faced before. That threat is the Yuuzhan Vong. They have obliterated the outpost on Belkadan, and have destroyed Sernpidal. They have a massive force, but most of it was destroyed at Helska IV. All the Republic can do at the moment is try and find a way to stop them…



A man who looks to be forty walks ahead of you at a brisk pace, forcing some of you to walk a tad faster than usual. You are inside of a large, open building, and he was the guide that was to show you the way to your quarters. Little did you know that you were getting the grand tour. All around you are refugees, people that are on the run from the “Vong” as they’re called. There are makeshift rooms, where families can stay together, despite the tragedy that has struck them. You pass a makeshift hospital room, and there are some inside wearing all kinds of bandages, and some have a bacta drip attached to them. The man looks back as you pass the “hospital” and says something.

[Guide] These people here are the ones that aren’t too badly hurt. We’ve got a hospital near here, and that’s where we’ve taken the more serious ones.
He kind of hangs his head and moves on. A short while later, you get to your barracks, and he stops just outside the door.

[Guide]Well, here’s your barracks. It ain’t much, but, it’ll do. Before I go, I just want to personally thank you for coming here to keep an eye on the people. I know you Omegas have been cut short, what with everybody being moved around and all, but it keeps the morale up, knowing that you guys’re here. And I’m sure that all the folks back on Coruscant will miss you. But in the meantime, enjoy your stay on Dubrillion.

OOC: You can introduce yourselves now.

olineisfine
13 January 2006, 10:15 AM
Anak sits down and looks at the guys infront of him he says "yo, why dont we get to killn' this vong jawn 'for it terrorizes mo' of these people, they shouldn't hafta put up wit this."
He kinda drifts into his own world waiting for someone to speak.

Rabbiddog
13 January 2006, 10:47 AM
"Specialist Rzadino here, most just call me Dino, I am the guy who will be keeping your equipmnet repaired and servicable, I guess that makes me the most important guy in this unit" he says with a smirk. "Seriously though, when you fellas get a chance give your equipment a once over and let me know if anything needs worked on. I like to make sure everything is in top working condition before it is needed"

guaeko
13 January 2006, 12:37 PM
The Bothan smiles softly at Anak. "I'd suggest putting that trigger-happy attitude on hold. There's no way our group alone can take down something that did this to a planet be charging in with blasters blazing." Raek stowes his backpack near his bunk. "I believe my equipment is in fine shape." He turns around and looks at the rest of the team. "I've been assigned here to act as a field guide in unfamiliar territory. I have other skills as well, of course. I'm an expert in special item retrieval, as well as reconnaisance and espionage."

olineisfine
13 January 2006, 12:40 PM
"Yea well, we're gonna need people liek you to temper me, i uhh have a habit of umm how do i put this, shooting stuff, alot. anyway just put me in a jungle or really any wilderness spot and i'll kill it, and the morgue can chill it, i think im gonna like this squad!"

Rabbiddog
13 January 2006, 12:43 PM
Dino smiles at the twos exchange "Ahh, yes I can see that we are all going to get along just fine, one big happy family" "Now who's up for a little cards, maybe some friendly betting?"

Omniscience
13 January 2006, 12:46 PM
"Lance Croperal Kaj. Don't bother with my last name much, takes too long." He glances at Dino, his eyebrow dipping.
"You ever worked on cybernetics before?" He says, " 'Cause I could really go for a lube job right now." flexing his obviosly cybernetic hand in the dusky light. "And as for cards, it's been a while, but I'll join."

guaeko
13 January 2006, 12:47 PM
Raek sits on his bunk with his legs crossed. He lays out his shadowsuit and blaster on it and begins checking the former for tears and cleaning the latter. "So, I assume that Dino is our field tech, and the other is our field...killer? I'll just watch the cards, if you don't care. I'm not the gambling sort."

OOC Edit: That lube job sentence from Kaj sounded like a pick up line to me... Sorry!

olineisfine
13 January 2006, 12:51 PM
"yep, feild killer, wilderness expert, a few women on naboo called me a stalker, i've heard all the names before, but anyway i say we kill atleast some of these vong before they kill anyone else"

guaeko
13 January 2006, 12:52 PM
Raek laughs. "You are an interesting creature, you know that? What is your name?"

Rabbiddog
13 January 2006, 12:59 PM
Dino signals to Kaj "Bring it on over and I'll take a look at it". Dino open a bag next to his bunk and pulls out a long pouch rolled and tied. Untieing the pouch he rolls the pouch out across his bunk and folds the inside flap back to reveal an array of tools.



ooc: I imagine this is just a standard repair check. 16+9(repair skil)+2(toolkit)=27

olineisfine
13 January 2006, 01:01 PM
" The name changes depending on the planet, job, army, or warrent, but usually it's Anak, anyway," he says pulling out his gun and playing with it which interestingly enough doesnt have a safety.

Omniscience
13 January 2006, 01:02 PM
OOC: A pick-up line? :? He actually has a a squeaky arm! That's like a person asking a doctor if he's treated a certain infection before! :o

IC: Kaj shakes his head, his expression distant, as he hears what Anak has to say. "Y'know, I knew how you feel right now. Just don't let it be the death of you. I was lucky... almost." He plops down onto his bed beside Dino and rolls the sleeve back on his false arm, his expression saddened.

guaeko
13 January 2006, 01:09 PM
Raek simply sits on his bunk and takes some notes in his journal. A gentle smile touches his lips. "So what do you guys think of the situation here? Any idea what we're going to be doing? Other than senseless killing?"

olineisfine
13 January 2006, 01:11 PM
"well, senseless killing, women, all of the above, neither in moderation, " and then anak gets up and walks outside to smoke a cigar.

Rabbiddog
13 January 2006, 01:15 PM
Dino turns to Raek "Well considering that I am not only a damn fine tech but a damn fine lover as well , I might just be checkin out some of the local ladies. By the way, any of you romantically challenged individuals need any love advice, you just ask ole Dino. I have also been known to be a pretty good card player too" he smiles wide.

guaeko
13 January 2006, 01:42 PM
Raek cocks an eyebrow at Dino. "In case that was directed at me, I'm sorry to disappoint you. My prior job to this required me to be sterile. And you guys are checking out the ladies on a planet that just had most of its population maimed or killed? That's kind of sick, eh?"

Rabbiddog
13 January 2006, 01:55 PM
"Hey pal, everyone needs lovin no matter what the situation, lovin is a damn sight better than what they have been dealin with. That may be sick to you but I see it as bringin a little joy and comfort to some peoples lives that have been without here lately" Dino says with a wave of his hand.

guaeko
13 January 2006, 02:03 PM
Raek laughs so hard that he falls on his back on the bunk. "You may have a twisted sense of morals, but I think I like you."

Rabbiddog
13 January 2006, 02:10 PM
Dino smiles half cocked "We all try and do what we can to help these people, each in our own special way" He moves a little close to Raek and speaks lower as not to be heard by everyone "I even got me a little setup that I can cook up a little libation if you want. You know a little touch of the hair of the bantha" Dino winks.

guaeko
13 January 2006, 02:14 PM
Raek shakes his head in bafflement. "That's alright, I assure you. I'd prefer to keep my mind on task. As for helping the people, I have little interest in doing so. I desire mostly to fulfill the assignment I've been given, the people and the planet and the battles are all just side orders."

Rabbiddog
13 January 2006, 02:22 PM
"And you say I have a twisted sense of morals?" "Ahh well no matter to each his own. But hey should you ever change your mind about any of this you just come and talk to me and i'll get you started down the right path." Dino turns to walk away and then hesitates, tuning back to Raek "Sterile you say? you mean no......" Dino makes a crude gesture with his hands "none of that? Hmmm.... ahhh!" Dino waves his hand at Raek "Your still alright by me" he turns and walks back to his bunk.

olineisfine
13 January 2006, 02:27 PM
Anak walks back into the room "hahahaha, twisted morals, ithink i've got that covered, i am after all the guy who loves to shoot anything, anytime anywhere, i just love pulling that trigger, whover the blaster bolt hits, well that really doesnt matter," he laughs and sits back down "soo think we'll ever get to go huntin' fo' them vong or are we jsut gonna sit here and talk?"

Rabbiddog
13 January 2006, 02:34 PM
Dino glances at Anak and chuckles "hey like I said, to each his own. As long as I am behind you when your doin the shootin don't make much difference to me"

guaeko
13 January 2006, 02:36 PM
Raek gives an alarmed look to Anak. "'Whover the bolt hits?' I'm never walking in front of you again... and we're waiting until our assignment is given to us before we leave. I'd assume."

olineisfine
13 January 2006, 02:39 PM
"o well, no i mean dont walk infront if i have my blaster out, otherwise you should be ok, but you know, i've been shooting people, and other stuff since i was like 5, so I have decent aim. especially learning in the swamps of naboo, too bad there aint no more stories, they were soo easy to spot., except on hoth," he adds with a laugh.

Mack Jace
13 January 2006, 03:05 PM
Corporal (No Name) sat on his bunk as the others sat down and listened to the banter going on. He had just been assigned to the platoon, but he was beginning to feel like a part of the team. He hears them talking about women, and listens especially to the one called Raek.


Raek cocks an eyebrow at Dino. "In case that was directed at me, I'm sorry to disappoint you. My prior job to this required me to be sterile. And you guys are checking out the ladies on a planet that just had most of its population maimed or killed? That's kind of sick, eh?"

The Corporal mumbles to himself.

[Corporal] Boy I'd say. I guess you guys have no standards, or morals for that matter.

He keeps listening to the conversation, and sits on his bunk with his hat over his eyes. The conversation keeps going, at least until everyone notices that the Lieutenant is standing in the doorway. Some people stop what they're doing and look at the Lt., waiting for something to happen; others stand at attention, but the Lt. just waves them down. He looks especially at Anak but he looks around at everyone. He has sort of a quietness about him, but there is something about him that makes you follow him.(OOC: He looks like Tom Hanks:D)

[Jace] So, you can't wait to shoot the 'Vong', can you? I haven't seen these guys personally, but from what I hear, they're your worst nightmare. I don't want you guys to go into battle, if we go into battle, being all cocky, so don't be. But that's for another time. Right now, I could use a little shuteye.

He walks over to one of the empty bunks, lies down, and tilts his hat over his eyes. After a few minutes of silence, he lifts his hat up again.

[Jace] I don't mind the noise, so go about your business.

The minute he says this, conversation resumes, and Mack goes back to sleep.

guaeko
13 January 2006, 03:22 PM
Raek looks at Jace and the Corporal. "I think that the man is right. We should get some sleep. Big day ahead."

Rabbiddog
13 January 2006, 03:28 PM
"ahh well since nobody wants to play some cards I guess I'll get a little shut eye maself" Dino rolls the toolpouch back up and stows it in his bag. Dino lays down and before closing his eyes he glances at each one of the team members.

olineisfine
13 January 2006, 05:11 PM
Anak looks over and sits down and lays down and goes to bed with his hand on the trigger.

darth_phobeius
13 January 2006, 09:59 PM
[Gax walks in still in his armored flightsuit talking on his helmet comlink.]
"Roger that Sir. Let me know if there is need of me to make another refugee run. I will be down for a couple of hours and then be back in action'
[He walks over and tosses his flight bag onto the bunk. It makes a heavy muffled sound (33kg). He sits down with a dead weight fall onto his backside and removed his helmet. His head is dotted with sweat and his hair his matted to his scalp.]
"Well here we are."

Doty
14 January 2006, 12:47 AM
Resk didn't remember much from his cramped flight aboard the refugee freighter, other than the scared faces and multitude of smells huddled together. The hulking alien in fact had managed to forget his T-21 in stowage before the claustrophobia wore off.

Darkness had settled in by the time the speeder truck he was bumming a ride from stopped near the base he was assigned to for the time being. He thanked the Twi'lek driver and grabbed his duffel out of the back. 'Seventh Division, Coruscani Regiment #2, E. Company..' repeated through his mind as he passed security, Heavy Weps papers in hand. It narrowed down further; Omega Platoon, new??? Further; 2nd Squad.

Also, he had missed the tour.

The thickset soldier worked his way over to Quarters with his gear, passing various droids and apprehensive Humans along the way. Seeing the lights were already out for the platoon, Resk's yellow skin paled down to the tips of his Nautolan-like tendrils. Exhausted, he eyed the hallway around the door, then leaned against the wall, sliding into a seated position, he passed out, duffel bag in lap, tattered blue cloak draped around his broad shoulders.

darth_phobeius
14 January 2006, 01:28 AM
[Opening the door to the darkened quarters when he hears a heavy thud outside the door. He is striped to the thinsuit bodyglove under his armored flightsuit doing stretches to work out the kinks after long hours of flight. He sticks his red haired head out the door.]
"Is someone there? Hello?"

Omniscience
14 January 2006, 04:46 AM
.(OOC: He looks like Tom Hanks) OOC: Oh, in that case, I'll gladly shoot him myself :D

IC: Kaj: Rolls over, and pries one eye open. "Yknow, buddy, between the two of us, the odds of a noiseless refugee camp seem slimmer than a rancor jedi, if you know what I mean." He stretches, and sits up. "Anyway, you must be here for a reason. Need something?"

Oathkeeper
14 January 2006, 07:48 AM
Seth walks toward the barracks looking over his new assingment, and thinking about the rumors tah the has been hearing abou the "Vong".

He arrives at the barracks to find his new squad.

Mack Jace
14 January 2006, 12:28 PM
OOC: For those that still want to post your actions before this, no problem, just act as if your actions happened before this.

IC:
You all wake up to the sound of bustling refugees, passing your barracks to go to the mess hall. Lt. Jace walks in the door as you are getting up.
[Jace] Okay men. The mess hall is just around the corner, grab some chow and meet me in the command center at (checks his chrono) 0800. That's one standard hour from now. We're gonna find out what exactly it is we're here to do.

He leaves you to dress, and you head off to eat. An hour later, as you shuffle into the command center, you see Lt. Jace and a general standing around a table that has a holoboard on it. From what you can see, it shows the outline of all the places the refugees were staying. The lieutenant finishes speaking with the general, and moves toward you.
[Jace] Listen up men. We have our orders from the general, we're going to be providing security for the refugees. I know that doesn't sound like the best task, but it's what we've been assigned, so deal with it. Everybody's going to grab a carbine from the weapons locker, and---

He is cut off by an alarm signal coming from the sensor station. Both he and the general move toward the station.

[Sensor] Sir, sensors indicate a large fleet, coming in on vector 230 mark 9.

[General] How big is it?

[Sensor] It's big sir.

[General] Alright. (Reaches down and presses a button)Attention all Squadrons. Scramble fighters to engage the Yuuzhan Vong, keep them off our backs until we can evacuate the refugees. May the Force be with you.

The General turns and begins to address you, when he is interrupted yet again.
[Sensor] Sir! 2 enemy fighters and 1 enemy landing craft bound for Belt Runner-I! And it's providing shields for the TIE's!

[General] (Turns from Sensor to you) If we lose that station, those three TIEs are done for. Lieutenant, I want you to take your platoon and defend that station! We have a smuggler here that can provide transport for you. He should be down in the hangar. He'll let you "borrow" the ship.

[Jace] Yes sir! (Turns to you) You heard him men, grab your weapons and move out!


OOC: I will move on once everyone posts what they are taking with them.

PsychoInfiltrator
14 January 2006, 01:47 PM
In the middle of the night, the door opens. A Togruta steps in, and looks around in the darkness.
My new unit. Well, my squad, and somebody else's make a unit. Hmmm....there's an empty bunk.
Ven shut the door behind him and used his sort-term meory and spatial awareness to gert to the bunk. He was dressed in full, if a touch rumpled, formal dueling regalia, in a blue/black colour schemer. He set his pack by the bed, and the case which contained the x-45. He kept his low-slung Kylan holster on his right leg, but took off his vibrorapier, resting inside its ornate, golden-guilded sheath. He then took off his cape. It was black on the outside, dark blue on the inside. It was soft but resilient. he used it for a bedsheet, and fell asleep promptly, assuming nobody noticed his mostly silent entrance.




[Jace] Okay men. The mess hall is just around the corner, grab some chow and meet me in the command center at (checks his chrono) 0800. That's one standard hour from now. We're gonna find out what exactly it is we're here to do.

Ven analysed the slowly wakign soldiers. Evidently he had woke first. He put his cape back on, as well as his swordbelt, waiting for a reaction to his usdden there-ness from the others assembled. His new rank emblems felt especially heavy, and despite outward apearance, he was slightly nervous.

olineisfine
14 January 2006, 03:43 PM
Anak walks runs down to the hangar with his equipment "whorah! lets kill somethin!" he yells as he approaches the ships, "So which one is ours?" he asks to no one inparticular hoping somebody knows.

guaeko
14 January 2006, 05:35 PM
Raek grabs his bag of infiltration supplies and dons his shadowsuit before running to the ship.

darth_phobeius
14 January 2006, 07:39 PM
[Gax double-times it to the ship with his duffel over his back and armored flightsuit on. Boarding the ship that is assigned to them after it is pointed out he tosses his duffel down and retrieves the riot blaster rifle from the bad, slings it over his shoulder, and grabs all his power packs (probably will need these). He makes his way to the cockpit and starts a abbreviated start up.]
"Everyone strap in as soon as your gear is stowed. It will be bumpy with the Skips in the air."

olineisfine
14 January 2006, 07:49 PM
Anak looks at Gax, "So how quickly can you get us to the uglies? my trigger finger is gettin' itchy," he says putting the finishing touches on his armor and loading up his gun, he sits down waiting to leave for battle, he is filled with adrenaline "this is why we signed up, ain't it?"

darth_phobeius
14 January 2006, 08:07 PM
[Laughing a little to himself.]
[To Anak] "Don't worry, I will get you there before the party is over."

olineisfine
14 January 2006, 08:26 PM
"Well then, onward to battle, lets kick some vong" "hahhaahahaahhaah"
He looks around "well are yall ready ta kill 'em and chill 'em, or what?" (to gax) "buddy, i think you and i are gonna get along just fine"

darth_phobeius
14 January 2006, 08:57 PM
[Laughing again at the comment. Gax seems to be totally relaxed once behind the controls. He keeps checking over displays and pipes to Anak. Legs....they are always funny right before battle. Got to give it to them. ]
"Hey see if this thing has a turret that you can man and you might be able to get some bigger shots at them before we hit dirt."

olineisfine
14 January 2006, 08:59 PM
"aww hell just put me on the roof with my blaster" he says and gets up to look for one
ooc- gonna have to wiat for mack to tell us if there is 1 or nto so.

darth_phobeius
14 January 2006, 09:16 PM
Yeah I know. Just thought it would be good to mention and that is something they would want a shooter to man.

Mack Jace
15 January 2006, 04:33 AM
OOC: Wow, you guys are fast!:D

IC:

The platoon double-times it to the hangar, everyone pumping with adrenaline. When you get there, you see a few scattered ships, but only one could be the one you were "borrowing". It was a heavily modified ship tht was indistinguishable from the original design. It had two quad laser cannons, one above, and one below the ship, and looked as if it had enough room to hold a small platoon, maybe more. There was a scruffy looking man standing outside, smoking a cigarra. He had a jacket on that had his name on it, Myk. He walked up to Lt. Jace, and saluted him.
[Myk] Morning sir. What can I do for you lieutenant?

[Jace] The general told me you'd let us borrow your ship to save the space station.

[Myk] Did he now? Well, I don't see why not, cause I'm not using her. Welcome aboard!

You all climb aboard, and find that there is more than enough room for all of you. After stowing your equipment, you all assemble in the cargo hold, where the Lt. is giving out your orders.
[Jace] Alright, there's going to be skips up there, so we're gonna need someone to keep them off our backs. Resk, Mank, I need you two to man the turrets. Don't go actively searching for targets, but if they get too close, blast 'em. Jonson, we need someone to fly the ship, so that's your job. Raz, Rad, oh forget it, Dino, your job is to make sure that any internal damage is fixed. Kaj, keep an eye on the shields. Karka, you operate the sensors. Everyone else, stand by, I might need you to do something else.

You each head off to your respective stations, and the Lt. follows Jonson to the cockpit. As Jonson gets settled in and starts the ship, Jace stands behind the co-pilot chair, one was taken by Myk, and the other was taken by Karka. The ship began to lift off, and it shot out of the hangar and into the sky.


OOC: I will post the ship stats in the OOC soon. I assumed that you were able to take ten on the roll darth. I'll let everyone post and then I'll update when I get back tomorrow.

Omniscience
15 January 2006, 04:42 AM
Kaj grins, and unscrews the vibroblade attackment from his arm, and slids into the Shield operator seat. After a quick examination, Kaj gives a broad smile, and settles in for a fun trip.

EDIT OOC: Oh the equipment that he brought is the following: Blaster pistol attachment, vibroblade attachment, Blaster Carbine (his primary weapon), and he is wearing his tracker utility vest and combat gloves, and left the helmet and vest behind.

olineisfine
15 January 2006, 09:04 AM
Anak gets into the turret and sits down, "well, lets see what this baby can do!" he says "come on i gotta shoot something."

Rabbiddog
15 January 2006, 11:26 AM
Dino, goes to the cockpit, and looks at Gax "Hey, just let me know if you need help operating some of the ships systems or if you need anything worked on?


ooc: BTW I took my gear with me, weapons and tools. also is Gax piloting the ship? NVM saw the part about Gax.

guaeko
15 January 2006, 06:30 PM
Raek sits in front of the sensor controls and starts them up, setting them to scan. "Anak, don't shoot too early... don't want them to blow US out of the sky."

Doty
15 January 2006, 07:02 PM
Resk stirred when the red-haired human poked his head out the door, then nodded a greeting at him and the others still awake before he crashed for the night.

[...]

Hearing the commotion outside, Resk instictively reached for his heavy blaster pistol when the human he recognized as their CO appeared. Standing to attention, he listened in...

..leaving his datapad and most of his field kit in his locker, Resk grabbed everything else, taking special care to strap on his newest aqcuisition; a Merr-Sonn Underslung Rotary Carbine, a vintage "minigun." After some last minute maintenance he sighed, slapped the blast vest & helmet on, and headed over to CC...

..snorting at the ComScan operator, he saluted the General and grabbed a carbine, then followed the Bothan, Falleen, Togruta, and flock of humans of his new unit to the bay, seeing a highly modified transport awaiting them ...

..'covering a bunch of TIE's, the universe has turned upside-down afterall...'

Nodding to the Lt. once aboard, he stowed the carbines then ascended the ladder to the dorsal turret. Plugging in and powering up, he clicked on the ship's intercom and croaked:

"Dorsal turret, good-to-go."

OOC:

'italicized text' = Resk's thoughts, "bold" = words

Knowledge:Technology if I can to ID the freighter type 1d20+6 = 10

darth_phobeius
16 January 2006, 01:52 AM
[After the initial lift off Gax punches the throttle wide open.]
"This is your pilot Blazer speaking. Make sure your tray tables and seat backs are in their upright position and if you are prone to motion sickness then I suggest you hold onto you guts because this is going to suck. You two in the turrets, keep the skips off our rear and don't throw up. Thank you and I hope you have a pleasant flight."

Oathkeeper
16 January 2006, 05:56 AM
seth grabs his vibrorapier and blastr rifle, straps on his combat vest and heads toward the ship.

"this is gonna be fun.'

Doty
16 January 2006, 11:05 AM
Swiveling his quad-laser cannon around to get a feel for it, Resk waits for the roar of the engines to die down a 'lil before keying his comlink, growling,

"Let's get their fighter escorts first, Mank, though if I have a good shot at the assault's engines; I'm gonna take it."

He didn't bother to memorize the other ranks of the other members other than the LT., figuring he'd see who lived through their first action.

Part of him hoped they'd catch the Vong face-to-face, though he hoped they didn't have space-armor on either, if Vong even needed them. 'I'm the only one with decent firepower in this tiny platoon, will have to hose them down extra good then,' he ruminated, playing with more switches.

olineisfine
16 January 2006, 11:08 AM
"roger, lets get shootin, come on where are you uglies?" Anak said he was waiting to shoot these enemies, he was itching to pull the trigger.

PsychoInfiltrator
17 January 2006, 03:55 PM
OOC: Blast-happy sleaze. ;) And I tohught BoRB was long on character development.

After being totally and completely ignored by all things senteint, Ven eventually donned his all-temperature cloak, but left his armor behind. This armor is flimsiplast. Better to dodge the shots then toi barely survive them.

Ven boarded the ship, and made sure that he was close to the exit ramp.

So undisciplined. Marines...pah! These people are to uncivilized ot be employed in a Hutt swoop gang. And I would know. Nobody's even bothered asking my name. Or telling me theirs. It's almost as if I don't exist, a figment of soembody's imagination, flitting across the screen of somebody's outdated datapad. After this fight, if they don't get themselves all killed (which may be an improvement in terms of combat ability of this unit, but seeing as there aren't any flippin' Gotals to read my mind...) I'll get some discipline into them. I wonder if the neuronic whip is a legal form of punishment in the NR Marines. I never had cause to check in my old unit...it was legal on Nar Shadaa, why owuld it be any different here...?

Mack Jace
17 January 2006, 05:54 PM
Lt. Jace listened to Mank in the turret, and keyed the comm system.
[Jace] Don't get cocky on me, Corporal. I don't need us to be blasted out of the sky if we can avoid it.

He walked out of the cockpit and saw Ven standing near the hatch. Assuming he was saluted, he returns it, then extends his hand for a shake.
[Jace] Sergeant Lasray, Lieutenant Jace. Welcome to the platoon. I'm sorry this is a little late in coming, but it's been a hectic day for all of us. I read in your record that you're a close-combat specialist. I hear that these Vong prefer hand-to-hand combat, so I'm gonna need you in front, next to me. That way we can keep them off the men while they finish them off from afar. Just wait for my signal okay?

He heads back toward the cockpit, and the ship shoots into space. The battle is raging, and it doesn't look like the fight is going in favor of the Republic, though they are fighting valiantly. However, with the superior weaponry and tactics of the Vong things aren't looking good. However, your attention is drawn away from the battle when Karka's ears perk up and turns from the sensors.
[Karka] Sir, enemy ships inbound! Looks like two skips checking us out. What are your orders?

[Jace] Everybody, do not engage. Repeat do NOT engage! We'll wait for them to make the first move.

Everyone tenses as the skips come closer. Finally, as they come within range, they each shoot out a few shots at the ship. Gax dodges them deftly, but that only piques their interest. After passing the ship, they swing around for another pass.
[Jace] Alright, that's a green light, engage, repeat engage! Let's blast these guys out of the sky!


OOC: Now we are in Combat Initiative, so I need everyone to make an Initiative roll, even those who aren't directly involved in the battle.

Rabbiddog
18 January 2006, 08:15 PM
OOC: 17+3


Dino straps himself into his seat, bracing himself for the oncoming battle.

darth_phobeius
18 January 2006, 09:46 PM
[Adjusting the Inertial Compensator for the pitched battle and punching the throttle full forward for combat speed he sets his mind to the task at hand and concentrates on reading sensors and watching for incoming.]

(OOC: Initiative: 11+4=15)
(OOC: Pilot Skill +20 +2 adjusting the Compensator - Whatever the new speed is)

Gax "Here we go boys. Lite them up and pave the way. Like a walk in the park....if the park was in space and full of enemies wanting to kill us.)

Doty
18 January 2006, 11:55 PM
OOC: Init. +2 = 6
IC:

The burly gunner winced upon seeing the weird "skips" and the rest of the Vong force mobbing their defenses.

His ears perked up at the Bothan's warning, and fiddled accordingly with his targetting computer, though it was weird fighting against what looked like an angry asteroid.

"I got this one on the left, er...stand by..." he balked over the intercom.

He saw streaks of lava briefly before Jonson swerved them out of the way, Jace then giving them the go finally. Resk breathed out, and lining up best he could [angle-of-deflection style if he has to] and let loose on the skip like the gunner he was.


OOC: rapid shot full attack (are laser cannons multi-fire or auto-fire? I'll multifire + rapid shot if I can: RAB +5/+5/+5/+0)

Oathkeeper
19 January 2006, 11:01 AM
Initaiative 9=11+20

Seth prepaes himself mentally for whatever these buggers might look like while trying to hold down his lunch from all of this space combat.

Omniscience
19 January 2006, 11:03 AM
INIT: 16

Readying himself, Kaj's hands fly across his instrument panel, his mind accelerating as the familiar rush of battle overwhelms him. He makes sure the shields are powered, and creating a battle strategy to maximize shield efficiency: Flying defensively would give us an edge, but I doubt our gunners would appreciate it Deciding against sharing his plan, he focuses on keeing the ship alive.

guaeko
19 January 2006, 06:46 PM
OOC: Initiative 12 (rolled 7, +5 init)

With a few strokes of his keyboard, Raek sends tactical data picked up from the sensors to the gunners. He keeps an eye on the long-range sensors for more ships.

olineisfine
19 January 2006, 06:54 PM
ooc-19 on my roll+initiative
ic-Anak watches the ships and tries to pick out a target.

Doty
21 January 2006, 01:01 PM
OOC:Mank are you delaying your action for later in the round? My Feeorin will snap at him if there's time in the round still

IC:

Resk was a bit incredulous that he was the only one firing back, so he turned his big head and yelled down the gunnery ladder;

"C'mon Mank! Blast 'em!"

'Boy, of all times to be gun-shy!' he mused.

Mack Jace
27 January 2006, 08:22 AM
OOC: Doty they are auto-fire. I'll put in your attack as such, unless you don't want me to....I was waiting for Oline to post his action, but I'll just have him attack regularly.

IC:
Everyone not involved in the battle waits at their assigned station, hoping the fight ends quickly. The lieutenant watches the skips lom closer, and feels the adjustment of the inertial compensator by Gax. In the turret, Mank's targeting computer gets a lock on one of the skips, and fires twice. The first shot overloads the dovin basals, and the second shot blows the craft to pieces. The skip fires it's "lava cannons" and the globs of lava impact with the ship. They begin to eat away at the shields, but dissipate before they can destroy the shields (5 shield points left). Immediately, Kaj begins work on the shields, and gets some up again (15 rcovered). Karka keeps the sensors feeding the gunners info on the skips. Some of this info goes to Resk, who uses it to get a lock on the remaining skip. Jamming down on the trigger, he keeps a flow of energy going through the weapon. He misses one shot, but the rest of his shots are dead center. With such a steady stream of fire, the dovin basals overload, and the shots rip through the cockpit of the fighter, blowing it into a million pieces. As the crew of the ship rejoices, Lietenant Jace speaks into the comm.
[Jace] Alright guys, remember, we still have to stop the Vong from destroying that spacestation. So let's not get cocky.

Gax punches the throttle and shoots off toward the station.

OOC: Looks like I didn't need to post a map after all. We are out of Combat Initiative, so go about your business.

Omniscience
28 January 2006, 08:31 AM
Kaj sighs, still slightly confused about the vong weaponry. He takes a moment to stare out the viewport, and is awed by the brilliant lights flashing in an unparalled display of mortal beauty.Suddenly remebering just how lethel this could become, heshakes his head, rubs his hands together, and continues to generate the shields.

PsychoInfiltrator
28 January 2006, 09:30 AM
[Jace] Sergeant Lasray, Lieutenant Jace. Welcome to the platoon. I'm sorry this is a little late in coming, but it's been a hectic day for all of us. I read in your record that you're a close-combat specialist. I hear that these Vong prefer hand-to-hand combat, so I'm gonna need you in front, next to me. That way we can keep them off the men while they finish them off from afar. Just wait for my signal okay?

"Not so much a close combat specialist as just really flippin' good at it with a vibrorapier. Comes with the profession. I can lead from ze back or ze vront, Force Alive knows I've done a-nough of both. All in all, against unknown veponry, I'd prefer to lead from the vront, holding a blaster. My Kylan can be qvite useful, even in close-quarters combat. ... Vun more thing-my experience as a hunter and further practice int he marines had allowed me to develop my sniping. I suspect the erroneous bio you gave forgot to mention my modified X-45?" Ven speaks in what would in this world be ocnsidered a slight Russian accent, and is prone tto addign words form Togrutan to the Basic language when there is no Basic word for whatever he is saying.

"Also, and I will see to this after the battle, if any of us are alive, this unit needs soem discipline. Casual observaytion has shown that my troops are currently undisciplined rogues-idiotz-to undisciplined to be hiredfor a Hutt's svoop gang. But vee can tok later."

Rabbiddog
28 January 2006, 10:55 AM
Dino sees to any ship repairs that need to be done.

Doty
28 January 2006, 12:51 PM
Resk grinned once his targetting computer lit up with data on the skips, then as his lasers stiched up the last skip. Despite it getting some shots off on them first, he pumped his fist and joined the others in cheering-

"Right!"

The Feeorin shifted in seat as Jonson throttled over to where the Belt-Runner must be. He scanned the battle outside, not only for targets of opportunity, but to try and get a feel for how it was going for them.

OOC:
Spot+7

Rabbiddog
4 February 2006, 04:34 PM
Dino continues to keep any ships systems in repair.

Mack Jace
7 February 2006, 04:35 PM
"Not so much a close combat specialist as just really flippin' good at it with a vibrorapier. Comes with the profession. I can lead from ze back or ze vront, Force Alive knows I've done a-nough of both. All in all, against unknown veponry, I'd prefer to lead from the vront, holding a blaster. My Kylan can be qvite useful, even in close-quarters combat. ... Vun more thing-my experience as a hunter and further practice int he marines had allowed me to develop my sniping. I suspect the erroneous bio you gave forgot to mention my modified X-45?" Ven speaks in what would in this world be ocnsidered a slight Russian accent, and is prone tto addign words form Togrutan to the Basic language when there is no Basic word for whatever he is saying.

"Also, and I will see to this after the battle, if any of us are alive, this unit needs soem discipline. Casual observaytion has shown that my troops are currently undisciplined rogues-idiotz-to undisciplined to be hiredfor a Hutt's svoop gang. But vee can tok later."

[Jace] Understood Sergeant. And yes, your bio did forget to mention your X-45. It definitely will come in handy, especially if you can switch between that and your vibrorapier. Listen, I've seen the map of this station, and it looks like we could split up and clear the area. Luckily we only have to worry about one small level, because the system has the rest locked down. You'll take half the platoon, and I'll take the other half, and we'll engage the enemy in a pinscer movement. We'll figure out who goes where when we determine the size of their force.


He walks back to the cockpit, and the battle commences.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After the battle, Resk sees that the battle is not going in the NR's favor, but the Vong aren't winning either. He can't see which side has more forces, he can just get the gist of the battle. Meanwhile, Jonson speeds toward the station, and after mere minutes, you arrive. He lands the ship in the hangar, and you all gather in front of the landing, and Jace gives out orders.
[Jace] Okay everyone, I have a map of the level here on a datapad, so everyone get a good look at it. Whiskey squad will consist of me, Sharden, the corporal, Karka, and Dino. Tango will be Sgt. Lasray, Mank, Kaj, Seth, Resk, and Jonson. Tango, you will head through the Mess Hall, and meet us in one of the Lounges. Whiskey, we will go through the Crew Quarters, and meet up with Tango. Now, we don't know how many Vong are here, as there isn't any type of landing craft here. We assume that the ship went back for more, because one of our ships reported shooting one down, on its way from the station. So we don't need to worry about reinforcements. So let's get tactical Marines! Hooah!

You all load your weapons, and as you exit the craft, you can see the destruction wrecked by the Vong. Maintenance droids lie in broken pieces, and a few computer terminals are still sparking. The Vong left almost nothing that consisted of technology, except for one terminal. Luckily, there are no Vong, but Jace sets up security. He instructs Kaj to try and get his hands on some security video from the hangar, to see how many Vong there were. The rest of you pull security on the only exit from the hangar, ready to fire on anything that comes out of there.

OOC: Omniscience, I'm going to need a Computer Use check to see what you can get from the security feed.

PsychoInfiltrator
7 February 2006, 04:45 PM
Ven: "Alright, men. Those of you who haven't bothered to ask your comrades' names, might want to do so now. I am the afforementioned Srg. Lasray. Don't call me "Sarge" or I'll introduce you to my vibrorapier. If ant of you are duelists, which I doubt, now would be a good time to tell me. ...
...Oh, and one more thing. When I give orders, I want them obeyed. The only exception is the rare time when you can do something better than I request. If oyur method ends up working better, you might not get courtmartialled-the things are flippin' boring and a waste of my time-but other than that, don't expect me to tolerate insubordination or dissension in the ranks.
Finally, try not to get yourselves killed. I'm sure to have enough paperwork to fill out as it is."

Omniscience
7 February 2006, 04:47 PM
Kaj files out of the ship behind Lasray, and says to himself,
"I wish the NR would wait until their recruits were 'fresher-trained before slapping promotions all over them." Realizing that he had said that far louder than he'd meant, Kaj keeps his head down until he reaches the sucrity console, and begins to work away at the smashed machinery-- Clearly, the Vong did not appreciate good machinery.
"Well well well, let's see what we have here, shall we?"

Computer use check: 32 (13 +19)

PsychoInfiltrator
7 February 2006, 04:52 PM
"I wish the NR would wait until their recruits were 'fresher-trained before slapping promotions all over them."

Ven turns and remarks cooly:
"And I wish that this unit was disciplined enough to qualify for positions in a particualrly unscrupulous Hutt's swoop gang. Your wish started happening shortly after they stopped promoting Skywalker. I'll be lucky to get mine in your lifetime."
Ven smiles slightly, toothily as only a predatory Togruta can.

Rabbiddog
7 February 2006, 06:36 PM
As Dino walks by Kaj he slaps him on the shoulder "Yah, well whish in one hand and crap in the other and see which fills quicker. We got a formidable enemy to fight, sometimes they don't have the luxury of lettin em get all the experience in the galaxy before sendin em to their deaths"
He says smiling wryly. Dino continues walking down the ramp to form up with Wiskey squad.

Oathkeeper
8 February 2006, 01:58 PM
" I'm Seth now let's hope we live long enough for this little social to mean something"
Seth walks off to join the rest of Tango squad while checking his weaponry over and over agoan.

guaeko
8 February 2006, 05:30 PM
Raek licks his lips lightly before saying, "This has been an interesting welcome..." He then joins his squad.

Mack Jace
12 February 2006, 05:04 AM
Kaj begins work on the console, and after a few minutes, it flickers to life. Punching a few keys, he finally gets the security feed going. Kaj can see the hangar they now occupy, only there isn't any destruction. The alarm klaxons are blaring, and he sees seven men rush out of one of the doors. They all have blaster rifles, and they get into position to defend the ship from any intruders. In the distance, beyond the hangar sheilds, there is a YV Transport, its cannons blazing away at the ship. It slides through the sheilds, settles down, and unloads the intruders. There are about twelve of them, but as they unload, some of them are caught off guard by the volley of fire, dropping their number to eight. The defenders only hold out for so long though, and eventually there is no one left. The last image the camera sees is the head of an amphistaff bashing down onto it. Kaj turns and sees the El-Tee standing behind him, shaking his head. He walks back over to address the two squads.
[Jace] Okay men, listen up. We have a idea on how many Vong there are, and that's eight of 'em. We're going to assume that they did the same thing we are going to do, and split up. That means that each squad is going to encounter at least four Vong. So be prepared men, and may the Force be with us. Let's move out!

The two squads move through the door, into a hallway, and pause at the junction of two doors. Jace motions for Tango to head through the door to the Mess Hall, and Whiskey to move into the Crew Quarters.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Tango squad moves into the room, which has a lot of space to move, and one of the tables was flipped over. At the far end of the room, they see two Vong standing over what looks to be a crew member. They are not aware of Tango's entry (OOC:flatfooted). Tango gets into position to attack.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Whiskey moves into the crew quarters, and they also see two Vong at the other end. They arenot as lucky as Tango however, because the Vong seem to have been waiting for them. They snap their amphistaffs to attention, and begin approaching Whiskey.
----------------------------------------------------------------
OOC: I'm going to need Initiative checks from everyone, and will explain the maps. For Tango, the gray line is the flipped over table, providing one-half cover. For Whiskey, the gray blocks on the side are bunks, and they provide one-quarter cover. Everyone got that?

PsychoInfiltrator
12 February 2006, 05:46 AM
Ven, his weapons already unsheathed, (Kylan left hand, vibrorapier right,) leads the attack.

Assuming BoRB combat style:

RND1
FA: "Fier at Viel!!!" AAction: Fire on nearest Vong with Kylan. MA: move off to the side.

2
MA: Charge Nearest Vong. AA: Attack with vibrorapier

3
AA: Vibrorapier. (blaster if target has moved out of range, or orig target dead.) MA: Intimidate check.

Rabbiddog
12 February 2006, 06:22 AM
Dino draws his customized T-6 blaster and runs to the bunks for cover and prepares to lay down suppression fire.

guaeko
12 February 2006, 07:50 AM
Raek moves behind the bunks and draws his blaster slowly and silently. He slips down into the shadows (hide roll: 25). He levels his blaster, searching for targets.

Omniscience
15 February 2006, 03:14 PM
Kaj grimaces at the sight of the Vong, and flexes his cybernetic hand. Init: 5 + 4= 9.

RND 1:
FA: "For Terra Nova!" (his hometown, massecred by the Imperials)

FA (Quick draw): Kaj smoothly draws his blaster barbine, and draws a bead on his nearest opponent.
MA: Kaj clips on his vibroblade attachment.
AA: He depresses on the trigger, and watches the shot arc out. (Atk Roll: 9+11= 20)

Oathkeeper
18 February 2006, 10:18 AM
ini 14+9

Seth takes his blaster takes aim and fires.( round one)
He contiues doing this til the vong get to close.

darth_phobeius
18 February 2006, 07:28 PM
(OOC: I can't remember if we roll or you do so if we do here is my Initiative: Roll 3 + Initiative 4=7 [Yeah I know that sucked])

Gax fires his Blaster Rifle-500 "Espo" Riot Gun on Auto.
+4/+4/+4/-1 Auto 3d8+1 Damage

Mack Jace
24 February 2006, 05:47 PM
Whiskey Squad
Whiskey Squad draws a bead on the approaching enemy. Both Vong pull out little beatle-like things, and hurl them towards the squad. Unfortunately, Sharden and the Corporal were pulling point, and thus were hit by the bugs. One clamps down into Sharden's throat, cutting it, dropping him dead in an instant. The Corporal was a little luckier however, seeing as he was smackd in the head and knocked unconcious. That leaves only three Marines against two Vong. Lietenant Jace lifts his carbine and fires his weapon on multifire toward the enemy (OOC: full attack, multifire) One of his attacks miss, but the other two hit home. One of the shots hits one of the Vong's upper right shoulder, putting a hole through him(OOC: Critical). He becomes enraged at this, and manages to stay up(OOC: 1 wound point left, made Fort check). Karka slips into the shadows, and manages to surprise the unhurt Vong (+3 to attack). His attack with his pistol smacks the Vong in the arm, barely hindering him(6 wound points left). Dino also moves to the bunks, and lays down a hail of fire. One of his shots hits the already hurt Vong, and drop him like a sack of spare hydrospanners, leaving one Vong.

Tango Squad
Ven opens up the battle with his battle cry, followed shortly by an attack on the first Vong. His attack easily hits the Vong, but just barely. It puts a hole through his arm, causing him to drop his amphistaff (OOC: 8 WP left). Ven moves off to the side, opening the way for Resk to lay down some fire. He opens up with his rotary, spraying blaster bolts into the area directly around the Vong. Tow of his attacks do some major damage to both Vong, causing them to be battered back by the onslaught(OOC: TWO criticals, both Vong have 2 WP left). Mank fires his weapon, but because of their preparedness, the two Vong manage to duck out of the way. Seth lifts his rifle, and fires at the first Vong. The invisible bolt strikes the Vong in the chest, dropping him. After attatching his vbroblade, Kaj fires a shot at the other Vong. The blast also knocks the Vong off his feet, killing him. After both are dead, Ven walks up to the bodies, and taps them with his vibrorapier, to make sure they're dead. After he's sure, he walks over to the worker lying on the ground, who was also dead after being tortured by the Vong. Ven motions for the rest to follow him to the next room.


OOC: I'll have the updated maps up most likely tomorrow. Whiskey can now post the rest of their actions.

Rabbiddog
24 February 2006, 06:11 PM
"Man Down!" Dino yells as he takes a bead on the remaining Vong. "Die you ugly bastard"

Mack Jace
25 February 2006, 04:41 AM
Here are the maps.

guaeko
26 February 2006, 08:09 AM
Raek stays hidden long enough to get as precise of a shot off as he can with his amateur blaster-work. He takes aim and fires at the Vong he injured.

PsychoInfiltrator
26 February 2006, 04:08 PM
. Ven motions for the rest to follow him to the next room.

OOC: Please read as: Ven motions for the others to go into the next room.

IC: Ven takes in the visual image of the mutilated worker. Impulsively, he walks back, and with two careful shots, blows off the amphistaffs' heads. He then reactivates his vibrorapier.

"Those two went down easy. Expect an ambush in the next room."

Oathkeeper
5 March 2006, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by PsychoInfiltrator




"Those two went down easy. Expect an ambush in the next room."

Seth hears him adn grabs a grenade
"Think we need this ?"

olineisfine
5 March 2006, 10:41 AM
ooc- hey sry, gonna have to catch up over the next week, but i had a lot to do lately, i will continue with my character starting monday.

Mack Jace
17 March 2006, 09:07 AM
Hey guys, I'm really truly sorry that I have not been here. I have had some major stuff going on with school and the ending of the quarter. I will be able to post something very soon, hopefully sometime around Saturday or Sunday. And if anyone is a drop, please let me know. Again, I am sorry. MJ.

Mack Jace
21 March 2006, 04:05 AM
OOC: Man, really sorry this took so long. If I have any drops, let me know, but I hope to continue at a much steadier pace from now on.

IC:
Whiskey Squad
The last reamaining Vong is outraged by what has happened. First his brother-in-arms was killed by these infidels, and then he himself was wounded by them. But they were still too fast for him. Raek sees that the Vong is a little confused, and manages to get another surprise shot off(+3 again). His attack barely hits the vong square in the shest blowing him off his feet. The squad manages to get the Corporal on his feet, but are forced to leave behind Sharden, until they finish the sweep of the level. They head off to the next room, not knowing what they'll find there.

Tango Squad
Sgt. Lasray and his squad move into the next room with their guns at the ready. The entire room is dark, and it is very hard to see much of anything. Gax manages to find the lights, and flips them on. Suddenly they can see the entire room. A few of the men wish they had left the lights off, for standing in the opposite corner is a Vong, and on the other side of the room, stand three more Vong.


OOC: Tango Squad, I need your actions.

PsychoInfiltrator
21 March 2006, 03:01 PM
Ven, in a decidedly nasty mood, is the last one to enter the room, jsut as the lights flip on.

"Vida Vrack! Fire at Will!" as Ven repeats the instruction in Basic.

Ven follows his own instructions, sliding over (2 mstep) to get a clear shot at the individual Vong, and opens fire.

NOTE: Ven was, as psoted previous, up to something while he remained in the room, and all will be revealed later. Or, tot he GM, upon request.

Mack Jace
24 March 2006, 03:30 PM
OOC; Take your time Psych. BTW, is anybody else still with us? Or should I consider this game defunct? I'll give everyone a few days to reply.

Rabbiddog
24 March 2006, 03:33 PM
OOC: Still here ;)

PsychoInfiltrator
26 March 2006, 07:34 AM
Rabiddog and Phobeius are still around, Omni's down for the count. Don't know aobut the others.

guaeko
27 March 2006, 08:06 AM
OOC: I'm here, too. Suprisingly. After having my throat nearly closed for a week and not being able to eat anything for eight days because of a nasty bout of strep, I'm back!

PsychoInfiltrator
28 March 2006, 02:55 PM
Unless I'm missing somebody, that aobut somes it up.

Mack Jace
1 April 2006, 10:22 AM
Tango Squad sees the Vong opposite them and open fire at once. The Vong barely has any time to react before he is cut down by the three squad members closest to him. The others quickly move to take up a position against the wall, and they too open up on the other Vong. There is hardly anything left when they are done. The bodies of the Vong lay smoldering on the floor, some a few feet in front of the others, those who had tried to retaliate. They move on into the other room, where they were supposed to meet with Whiskey. Both squads walk into the room at the same time, and both are horrified by the sight they see. In the center of the room are the bodies of all the workers of the station, who were clustered in the middle and slaughtered by the Yuuzhan Vong. Lt. Jace pulls off his helmet, and pays homage to the fallen. The rest of the squads do the same, and after gathering up the body of Sharden, exfiltrate the station.


OOC: That is the official end of the mission. I will post the next part soon. Thanks everyone.

PsychoInfiltrator
1 April 2006, 10:26 AM
The two squads of marines never reentered the room where Ven first encountered the Vong. If they had...somebody slashed their throats, and using a rapier-like isntrument, stabbed through the center of each eye. Someone apparently objected to the mutilation of non-combatants.

Mack Jace
8 April 2006, 03:26 PM
They say that time can heal the heart. But for the men of Omega Platoon, there isn't enough time in the universe to heal their hearts. After losing Nym, and the gruesome scene on the space station, they should have had time off, but there is no rest during war. The Yuuzhan Vong have been cutting a swath through the galaxy, stretching the New Republic thin. Instead of letting the Omegas rest, the New Republic has placed them on the Outer Rim planet of Tatooine, where it has been quiet. But recently there have been rumors of a new enemy, one that is just as deadly as the Yuuzhan Vong.....

The small cantina was busy as usual, with the various local riff-raff engaged in a bout of afternoon drinking and chatting, doing anything to escape the harsh afternoon heat of Tatooine’s twin suns. It had been many long years since Burn had been to this space-forsaken planet, but he gave it little thought as he strode towards the entrance. He would soon be off this rock, on his way to a new assignment with the marines of the New Republic. Making sure his frayed cloak covered his weapons, he stepped down a level and sauntered into the bar.

Humans and aliens of all type intermingled, some drinking, some already drunk, and a few lying unconscious on the floor. All in all, just another typical day at the Smelly Veermok. Had he not tuned down his olfactory sensors, Burn was sure the intense smells of the cantina would have over-powered his processors. As it was, he truly did not wish to step even a single duranium foot in this place, but it was here he was to meet a new member of his team. Why she had chosen this of all places was simply beyond Burn’s capacity.

“Hey you, get outta here! We don’t serve no stinkin’ droids here!”

The voice came from a grizzled old Klatoonian, obviously the chief tender of this facility. His clothes were greasy and the bizarre hat he wore made his already large head seem that much larger. He was waving his hand towards the droid, making halting gestures as the majority of the patrons turned to face him. I should have expected this. Will droid prejudice never cease? Ignoring the bartender’s threats and the looks of disgust from the crowd, Burn slowly paced himself to stand directly in front of the greasy alien and simply stood there, his photoreceptors piercing the smoke-filled room with an eerie red glow.

“You deaf, bolt-bucket? I say no stinkin’ droids here! Now get out before I blasts you out!” shouted the tender, now waving both hands emphatically. Burn remained rooted in place, staring the Klatoonian down. One thing about droids that most people seem to forget is that it is simply impossible to win a staring contest against a mechanical. After a few very long seconds, the bartender gave up. He then turned and motioned towards a couple of burly aliens hanging about near the bar’s small soundstage. The bouncers, a pair of tall and powerfully built Weequay, were chatting up a few females of their own species, but quickly let their conversation die as they noticed the large droid facing down their employer. Drawing vibroblades, the two bouncers forced their way to the bar and stood flanking the droid, who still had not budged a single centimeter.

Burn analyzed this new situation and found that he was amused. Did the aliens actually believe they could force him to leave? He merely wished to remain in plain view while waiting for his new partner. Standing in front of the bar seemed the best viewing location in the cantina, but now he was being threatened with physical violence for merely being there. The two Weequay were waiting for orders from the boss, gripping their vibroblades in anticipation of a fight.

“Okay droid, I give you chance to go and you no go. Now you pay price.” The bartender gestured to the bouncers. “Scrap it, then sweep up parts.” Both Weequay grinned and activated their weapons. Nearby patrons (at least the soberest of them) shoved each other out of the way and scrambled to give them as much room as possible. Burn still had not moved a servo when the Weequay both made an attempt to grab him. A fight is it? I believe I will comply. Perhaps the motions of combat will free some of this grit and sand from my joints. As the bouncers surged forth, Burn somersaulted backwards, drawing and activating his electrostaff in a single, impossibly fast motion. The Weequay collided briefly with each other, but regained their composure quickly. Raising their blades high, they both swung at the droid from opposite sides......

The little dive was dark, hot, and reeked faintly of alien vomit. She sat in the back, near the service entrance, with one eye on the door and the other on a couple particularly rowdy krish who’d already been warned twice about harassing the twi’lek couple in the next booth. As she emptied another shot glass, her fourth…or was it her fifth…she thought about the last time she’d been in a place where her boots stuck to the floor. Though she was now on the right side of the law, she still recognized this place. No, she’d never set foot on this Xendor-forsaaken dustball, but a place like this might have easily been a corporate chain. They had several thousand franchises on Coruscant. She’d receive no special treatment here from her military status, except maybe to be asked to leave…or jumped later at night.

The place did have its advantages, though. For one, everyone gave everyone else a decent degree of privacy. And for another, noone objected to their fellow patrons carrying whatever sort of kit they liked, an important plus for Brody Ness, standing at about 1.6 meters, carrying a heavy pistol that most would use two-handed.

Now, a commotion at the entrance attracted the attention of her ice blue eyes.

Now why did I assume he’d be biological?, Brody asked herself. Her contact, and it had to be her contact, stood defiantly in front of the bar, ready to tangle with Ik-mir and Gaz, the weequay bouncers. Brody was just about to get up when the fight broke out. She was surprised to see a droid somersault, nearly hitting the ceiling, but after that, she knew she’d better do something.

Shoving her way acoss the crowded dive, she eventually put herself between the droid and the weequays.

“He’s on his way out, dammit!”, she yelled at the bouncers and bartender, “You’re here for me, aren’t you, big guy?”

Without waiting for an answer, she gives the metal soldier a slight nudge toward the exit, then turns back to the bouncers, hoping the droid took the hint. She stares them both down, managing to look thoroughly confident and, despite her small stature, extremely detrimental to their state of health.

“Back off.”, Brody says flatly, “Last warning.”

And with that, she leaves the bar with the droid.

Out on the street, Brody looks up to the droid’s beady red photoreceptors, “I didn’t want to get the cleaning bill for the mess of weequay that was about to become.” Her voice is husky, even raspy. Almost as if she’d spent the last four hours screaming, at the same time, however, her appearance was about as rough as her voice.

Black military boots led up to a pair of camouflage pants with visible armor plating in them. Though the camo was currently a mottled black, it was slowly, but visibly, taking on the sandy brown hue of the desert, changing from the interior of the bar to the sunny desert street. Both of these pant legs were noticeably baggy on the woman, obviously intended for someone of a bit taller height. The top of the armored jumpsuit was unzipped, pulled down, and secured at her slim waist. She wore a white sleeveless shirt, drenched in sweat, that revealed tatoos on each arm. The skin she had exposed revealed that she wasn’t a native on this bright planet, as it was a pale, almost sickly shade of white. Her hair was dark black, in a ragged cut that, had it not been drenched in sweat, might have been some sort of wild style. At this point however, it just hung at odd angles around her face and neck. Finally, each of her ears held a trio of metal rings, her nose held one, a pair of silver bars passed through her left eyebrow, and a large ring rested in her lip, making her an interesting looking individual indeed. Had there not been such a large height difference, the driod may have also spotted a stud in her tongue.

Passing onto a less crowded side street, Brody led the droid down a half flight of steps and between two buildings. Knocking on a nondescript door, she stared up with that same defiance into a small camera positioned just above the door. As it hissed open, she strode through, indicating for the droid to follow.

Inside the building, about a dozen military-types were busy loading and unloading crates, cleaning weapons, stacking ammo crates, and working on a few speeders, visible through a narrow corridor in the garage a few steps up from the room they’d entered.

“Well boys”, Brody said to noone in particular, waving toward Burn, “Here’s Sergeant Burn, our reinforcement.”

A few of the soldiers looked up and nodded amicably to the droid, most were surpried to see a mechanical join their ranks as a combatant. As the droid’s gaze takes in the room, it finally comes to rest again on Brody.

“Welcome home”, she says with a wry grin, “Cold showers upstairs, beers in the cryo-unit over there.”

Abruptly, she realized she was talking to a droid, smiled for the first time since Burn had seen her, and added, “Oil bath out in the machine shop, across the garage.”

Acknowledging each trooper in the room with a simple nod, Burn flipped his tattered cloak off to the side and made a beeline for the garage. Ah, this oil bath is going to feel sooo good!

A week later, after landing in the local spaceport in their new ship, given graciously to them by Myk, who no longer needed it, what with the bonus from the New Republic for his service, Omega Platoon unloaded their cargo. Brody awaited the lieutenant at the bottom of the ramp of the ship.

"Sir, welcome to the biggest hell-hole this side of the Corellian Run," Brody said with a smirk as she saluted Lt. Jace. Jace peered around, and smiled. "Thank you very much, Lance Corporal. How've things been since you were deployed here?" he asked.

"Not one peep sir. I'm beginning to think that maybe those rumors were started just to divert some forces here," she said, "But I guess that would be a good thing, right sir?" Jace smiled, but it was one of fatigue, and Brody could see lines creasing his face; he was getting too old for this. But as quickly as that look was there, it disappeared, "That would be a good thing, Lance Corporal. That would be a good thing."

Later that day, when everyone was settled in, Lieutenant Jace gave them their orders. "Okay everyone, listen up. Tomorrow we are going to be patrolling the local outposts that keep an eye on the desert around the homesteads here. Nothing too fancy, just going to keep an eye on them. But for right now, we have the day off. So get some rest boys."

OOC: Okay, everyone (including new recruits) can now post whatever they want. I will give you guys a good while to do this, then I can post some more stuff.

Stormrider
8 April 2006, 03:46 PM
With a soft hiss the door would be opened to admit a seemingly middle aged Duros. Blue skin the color of the afternoon sky matched well with Jade green eyes. The lines that ran across the sentients face..seemed to indicate that he was in his late fourties or early fifties..but the confident stride that carried him across the room to the Lieutenant was that of a younger being..not slightly bent but upright and strong. decadesof experience showing with every step

The faint scent of chemicals hung about the Duros..along with a hint of a sickly sweet odor. A medical kit hung on one shoulder..and a utility belt was about his waist.

Offering a crisp salute, The Duros spoke with a quiet drawl..a polite smile spread across his face. He was dressed in fatigues with the symbol of the New Republic Navy on one shoulder.



Ah Lieutenant..forgive my absence. I am Lai Kavak Hospital Corpsman attached to your unit from the Navy. I was shopping for several components that my kit was out of....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A half hour later after exchanging pleasentries with the new unit commander..Lai could be found in a secluded corner on the roof..his slender form enganged in an almost hypnotic dance of punches and kicks. Sweat could be seen forming on the Duro's "brow" as he moved across the tiny space.

guaeko
8 April 2006, 06:12 PM
A Bothan in tight-fitting black armor attempts to shake the sand from his fur. He introduces himself to the newcomers. "The name is Raek. Raek Melan'sil. I'm our field guide."

Uron Teff
8 April 2006, 06:50 PM
Sitting on his bunk with his eyes focused upon one of the fundamentals of a military patterns of living Taran Barandai listes to what the Lance Corporal's short speech.


[Brody] Well boys, here’s Sergeant Burn, our reinforcement.
Not daring to lift his eyes from disassembled Herloss HBt-4 sporting blaster rifle on his knees his ears stay tunned for more input from the Lace Corporal.


[Brody] Welcome home, cold showers upstairs, beers in the cryo-unit over there.[...] Oil bath out in the machine shop, across the garage.
Ah well the typical this-is-there-and-welcome-home speech... Oil bath? What in the name of Xendor... Finally lifting his from his ancestor's weapon Taran takes a view of the new soldier in their group. Really. It is a droid. How can this be? With his eyes still staring at the droid Taran's hand continue to clean the last "dirty" spot on the HBt-4. For every other user of a HBt-4 this "dirty" spot would have been a clean spot he didn't have to clean but for Taran the HBt-4 sporting blaster rifle was more than just a weapon. It was a memory. A link to the past. A reminder of his parents. A piece of home in world he barely knew.
Tatooine is different from Andoran. True both worlds are mostly deserts but the Andoran day isn't nearly as warm as a day on Tatooine. And there is not nearly as much sand as in this sandpit. he thought with his eyes still resting upon the strange new soldier.
Well I think I'll have to talk to him later, after I have reassembled the HBt-4. And he continued to clean the last spot and to reassemble the weapon.

Vice Man
9 April 2006, 12:10 PM
Savin looked up to see the new comer. A droid? he thought to himself as he cocked an eyebrow curiosly, although no one could see it becuase he was in his Ubese enviromental suit. He had been working on a speeder of some sort, having got here just a few days before he was tring to be usefull by working on the speeders. Although no one was around him or the speeder, which is to be somewhat expected. He sighed, getting over years of xenophobia, for himself to other aliens and of course his Races reputation proceded him.

He looked at the droid then looked at the speeder, it was good as it was going to get, so he closed it up and went over to where he had laid out his weapons, and started cleaning them again, all the while silently Cursing the dust. He looked over the other in the garage, esspecially those in his platoon, this was going to be very intersting, he thought as he held up a Long-Sword and checked the edge.

Rabbiddog
10 April 2006, 11:28 AM
Dino is sitting on his bunk fidleing with a contraption, as the droid enters he looks up from his work. "Heya there, names Rzadino, everyone calls me Dino though. I am the resident handy man here. You need anything fixed or tweaked you let me know." Looks back down at the contraption on his bunk "Right now I gotta watch the temprature on this, too hot and this hooch is gonna taste like bantha piss".

coldskier0320
10 April 2006, 11:40 AM
“Oil bath out in the machine shop, across the garage.”

After this, Brody excused herself, eading upstairs to the bunk room and the ‘freshers. Stopping by her bunk, she peeled out of her sweat-soaked armor and draped the excessively heavy garment across the framework of her bunk. Rummaging through her pack (she never had gotten around to unpacking her stuff into one of the ubiquitous foot lockers this place had), she withdrew a large, resealable plastic bag.

Disrobing completely, she grabbed a towel and jumped in the ‘fresher, taking her oversized pistol right in with her, making sure to seal it handily in the bag before turning on the water.

Damn, Brody thought to herself, slowly zoning out under the nozzles, This has gotta be the only post in the whole damn rebuplic that’d trade hot showers for cold ones…

…One Week Later…

A thoroughly refreshed Lance Corporal Brody Ness comes back downstairs, after having fed her dirty clothes and towel to the housekeeping droid. She now wears simple black army-issue tactical pants and an identical white sleeveless shirt to the one she met Burn in. Experimenting to see which of her myriad hair products holds up best in the heat, her hair is pulled into footlong spikes in all directions from her head. Her T-6 rests at her side, strapped prominently low on her thigh (it has to be low, or else, the blaster would literally come up to her underarms).

Grabbing herself a cold beer, Brody cracks it open and takes a sip out in the garage, nodding to Burn, who was just about finished with another the oil bath’s longest cycle (Brody was glad that someone was finally getting some use out of that big ass oil bath system). Heading back into the common area, she throws herself into a dilapitaded chair and eyes the holo that some of the guys had set up in the center of the room. Scant seconds after she comes to rest, one of the group mutters, “Oh yeah…someone’s gotta go meet the CO. Brody, we all called it while you were up in the ‘fresher. He’ll be expecting you in five minutes over at the port.”

The young woman flicks an irritated glance in the direction of the voice, sits motionless for another few seconds, before finally getting up again.

“Frackers”, she mutters, with significantly less venom than she could have, “Do you not realize the pains I go through to get my hair like this? And now I gotta go back out in that smelting shop?! That’s it. I’m done for the rest of the day, and half of tommorow. If anyone feels like griping, they can go now. Any takers? That’s what I thought.”

With that, Brody takes a few large gulps of beer, emptying the miniature pressure keg and tossing it into the trash compactor in the corner. Snatching up her pack of cigarettes from their perch at the door, she stalks out of the room, closing the door on a few isolated chuckles as she heads up the steps to the street and turns in the direction of the port.


"Okay everyone, listen up. Tomorrow we are going to be patrolling the local outposts that keep an eye on the desert around the homesteads here. Nothing too fancy, just going to keep an eye on them. But for right now, we have the day off. So get some rest boys."

Never realizing (or caring) tat she didn’t technically qualify as one of the “boys”, Brody was relieved at the prospect of a quiet night. Nights here on Tatooine were her favorite part of the station. The chilly desert wind reminded her of the cold storm systems of the Coruscant underworld.

…Hours Later…

Climbing up onto the sand-colored dome roof with a beer and her electrobinoculars, Brody took the earliest turn of night watch available. She gloried in the chill of the harsh, dry night air against her pale, muscled arms as she used the night-vision mode on her electrobinoculars to scan the desert dunes on one side, the city on the other. As she’d told Lt. Jace, this place had been quieter than a dead vrelt since she’d arrived with the rest of the reinforcements. Still, like most places with climate extremes, Tatooine came alive at night. As darkness settled in, more and more townspeople could be seen milling about in the streets, some on their way to work, others, just getting back from a long shift, wer eheaded to the bars, and still others just came out to enjoy the most comfortable temperatures of the day. Once or twice, she’d spotted movement fomr the desert, but it was usually a passing dewback, or jawas, atop their peculiar ronto mounts, heading to town to hawk their low-quality wares. At some point, she heard the sound of the window panel beneath her sliding open, and another soldier came up to relieve her.

“Same old story up here.”, she told the man, before putting out her cigarette and heading back downstairs. Once inside, she undressed and jumped into bed early. Hopefully tommorow, they were going for a ride, otherwise, she’d need the rest.

PsychoInfiltrator
10 April 2006, 01:12 PM
"Heya there, names Rzadino, everyone calls me Dino though. I am the resident handy man here. You need anything fixed or tweaked you let me know." Looks back down at the contraption on his bunk "Right now I gotta watch the temprature on this, too hot and this hooch is gonna taste like bantha piss".

Ven emerged from behind a particularly large pile of ammunition crates, just in time to catch the last of Rzadino's remarks.

"'Hooch' alwvays takes like bantha piss, as you have so creatively abserved." Ven, streessing his v's and dressed in his traditional formal duelist's outfit, blaster holster cross-draw style on his lower right leg, vibrorapier sheath (with ornate vibrorapier) on his right thigh...a sand-coloured cape around his shoulders. He quickly spies Burn.
"Ah, you must be the combat droid liberated off Coruscant vay back ven. Apparently, (remarking to those assembled in general) you're qvite the close range combatant. ... Are you any good with a vibrorapier? I fancy myself a duelist."
(glances at his cape)
"This used to be black."

Rabbiddog
10 April 2006, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by PsychoInfiltrator


Ven emerged from behind a particularly large pile of ammunition crates, just in time to catch the last of Rzadino's remarks.

"'Hooch' alwvays takes like bantha piss, as you have so creatively abserved." Ven, streessing his v's and dressed in his traditional formal duelist's outfit, blaster holster cross-draw style on his lower right leg, vibrorapier sheath (with ornate vibrorapier) on his right thigh...a sand-coloured cape around his shoulders. He quickly spies Burn.
"Ah, you must be the combat droid liberated off Coruscant vay back ven. Apparently, (remarking to those assembled in general) you're qvite the close range combatant. ... Are you any good with a vibrorapier? I fancy myself a duelist."
(glances at his cape)
"This used to be black."

Dino glances at Ven and smiles "Ahh, you just haven't aquired the taste to distinguish the subtle differences between my world class hooch and bantha piss is all."

johnnyputrid
10 April 2006, 08:24 PM
Burn did have to admit that there was nothing so pleasing as a good 120-minute oil bath. Not only did it remove the majorityof dust particles and other foul contaiminents from his joints, but it lubricated them to a satisfactory degree as well.

In short, Burn no longer squeaked, a fact he was thankful for. He could only lower his auditory threshold to a certain extent before losing functionality, after all.

Donning his cloak, headdress, equipment bandolier and utility belt, he made his way out into the common area. The droid made sure his custom electrostaff was fully charged and that its ends were firmly retracted into the main sheath. It had taken some work to enable that particular modification, but had been well worth the additional labor and cost of parts. Enabling him to easily retrieve the weapon as well as manuever into tight quarters with it stowed beneath his cloak had proven to be invaluable on past assignments.

He noted nothing unusual about the area, as it seemed organics, regardless of title, station or employment status, always found a way to make a 'home' for themselves wherever they might be. And as usual, the activities of a group of soldiers were no different here than at his last assignment. Some cleaned weapons and armor or played games of chance, while others drank, and others still brewed the very concoctions that were to be consumed. Though he was not capable of consuming liquids, had little interest in cards and had little equipment that required cleaning, he 'understood' where they were coming from. Where a droid needed to recharge and recalibrate, an organic needed to rest and recuperate. The differences were only minor.

As was his manner, Burn simply nodded his head toward each individual, responding when addressed, as was the case here. The one brewing homemade ethanol was apparantly the resident mechanic. Making sure to properly face the individual called Dino, he replied.

"If you will allow me to conduct a full systems check, I shall get back with you as to my maintenance needs. However, if you are adept with droid upgrade proceedures, I should like to note that my upper torso acutators are well over 45 standard years old. If possible, I should like to have them replaced in the near future. I believe a strengthening modification would greatly improve my combat funtionality."

Nodding once again as Dino went back to his brewing, the one called Ven addressed him immediately thereafter. Taking in the being's formal appearance, he appeared to be a professional fighter of some skill. Burn relished the thought of testing his prowess against a fellow professional.

"Indeed, I am that droid. And yes, I should enjoy a test of combat skill. Please indicate when you are ready to proceed. Also, please allow me to say, that your cape appears both functional and asthetically pleasing. Might I ask as to where you obtained it? I should very much like to possess one like it for my collection."

Satisfied that he had breached no communcations protocols, Burn found an empty pressure keg and allowed himself to sit.

coldskier0320
10 April 2006, 08:44 PM
[OOC: Any posting I make for the immedaite future will be detailing what takes place in the time between Lt, Jace arriving, and her night watch rotation. That is all.]

Brody had given each Omega a mental once-over as she watched them come in and unpack their stuff. One entire half of the common room, the half that used to be home to their tri-dee entertainment unit, was now filled to capacity with all manner of cargo crates. They'd moved the projector out to a better spot, but now anyone walking into the garage interefered with the image.

Oh well, Brody surmised, guess that's the military life.

There was one particualrly exotic alien whose species Brody didn't care to identify, who caught her attention right away. Dressed like a Coruscani streetwalker, he'd apparently worked his way into some sort of leadership position, jusdging by the way the rest of the Omegas silently took his slightly arrogant manner. This in mind, Brody decided to give the guy a wide berth. She knew herself enough to know that a clash with the self-proclaimed 'duelist' was probably inevitable at some point, but she was determined to raise as little fuss as possible. Who knew? Maybe he backed up his talk out in the field.


"'Hooch' alwvays takes like bantha piss, as you have so creatively abserved."

After listening to the duelist knock another guy's homemade 'still, she was about ready to intervene. Though she'd been off of hard drugs for almost a year (a milestone, according to some of her rehab medics), she used alcohol as a sort of 'anti-drug', that allowed her to engage in some sort of vice, without turning back to glit-biting or blys-shooting. She'd been ridiculed for this, but through it, she found herself slowly becoming an odd sort of conaisseuse in matters of strong drink. She desperately wanted to check out the soldier's 'still, but her years as a glazed over gang member prevented any excitement or eagerness from showing.

Returning her attention to the duelist, she found him all-but calling out the droid, in a veiled challenge to a duel.

Save him for later, man., Brody thought to the droid. With what she'd seen the automaton do in the bar, she suspected the droid could teach this cocky kid a thing or two about personal combat. For her part, Brody was no duelist. She preferred fighting dirty, to stay alive and fight dirty another day, as opposed to any 'civilized' tactics. Inwardly, she hoped the flashy-dressed alien would never challenge her to a duel. Oh she'd refuse allright, the first time. But those types rarely let it go at that.


"This used to be black."

At this, Brody held back a snort of laughter, sitting on the stairs, slowly smoking a cigarette. For all his big talk, the duelist apparently had a sense of humor, whether he realized it or not.

Taking one last drag of her cigarette, Brody stuffed the butt down into the empty beer can beside her, exhaling a stream of smoke up overhead. The hold-gel she'd used this afternoon had, surprisingly, held up admirably in the afternoon heat, and her spikes still reached menacingly into the air around her head. On Coruscant, she'd barely have been given a second glance for such a hairstyle (on the lower levels, anyway...topside, she wouldn't be admitted into most buildings looking like she did), on Tatooine, however, it seemed as if every man, woman, and hermaphrodite stopped in the midst of their daily routine to gawk at the spine-headed human walking down their road. Brody had coldly stared down a few of them, ignoring the rest. She even noticed here, in this very room, she was getting apprehensive, sidelong glances thrown in her direction, wordlessly asking why the street urchin was here, but eyeing her well-muscled arms and thinking better of voicing their inquiries.

Let 'em wonder, Brody thought to herself, defiantly, they'll get past that after they've been kept alive by my cover fire once or twice...

Rabbiddog
10 April 2006, 10:16 PM
Dino eyes his contraption for a while and turns a small knob now and then. After a while he proclaims with a smile "Alright, it's ready. Who's up for a touch of the hair of the razor cat that bit ya?" he announces proudly. Dino takes out a collapsable cup and draws a small portion from the still. He swirls the concoction arround sniffing it. Finally he he puts it to his mouth and turns the cup up. Swirling the liquid around in his mouth he swallows, his eyes get wide. "Wow! that is not for the weak! Maybe a touch too much ST4 lubricating oil, still not bad if I say so myself"

coldskier0320
10 April 2006, 10:51 PM
"Wow! that is not for the weak! Maybe a touch too much ST4 lubricating oil, still not bad if I say so myself"

Descending from her perch on the stairs like a hawk-bat, Brody asks cautiously, "Lemme try some of that...".

As the first brave (or was it poor...) soul to test the homebrew spirits, Brody accepted the proferred cup, filled it with about a shot's worth of the clear liquid, swirled it around in silence, smelling it, then, inexplicably, looked up at the rest of the group watching her, and grinned maniacally. Just as she did this, she threw the shot straight down her throat, and handed the cup back to Dino.

Starting to speak, she found the shot had temporarily stolen her voice. Coughing once, she shook her head, and announced hoarsely, "Five minutes ago...good year for rotgut."

She then nodded appreciatively to Dino, "I dub you, Sir Dino the Brewmaster.", she said for everyone to hear, then gave him a conspiratory wink as she headed back for her perch on the stairs.

Then the burn hit.

Her throat felt positively corroded from the noxious brew. She was willing to bet at this point that the crazy bugger really DID put ST4 in the thing. Still, Brody Ness was not one to show weakness, and choked down her reaction, seating herself quietly, and lighting a cigarette....

Rabbiddog
11 April 2006, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by coldskier0320


Descending from her perch on the stairs like a hawk-bat, Brody asks cautiously, "Lemme try some of that...".

As the first brave (or was it poor...) soul to test the homebrew spirits, Brody accepted the proferred cup, filled it with about a shot's worth of the clear liquid, swirled it around in silence, smelling it, then, inexplicably, looked up at the rest of the group watching her, and grinned maniacally. Just as she did this, she threw the shot straight down her throat, and handed the cup back to Dino.

Starting to speak, she found the shot had temporarily stolen her voice. Coughing once, she shook her head, and announced hoarsely, "Five minutes ago...good year for rotgut."

She then nodded appreciatively to Dino, "I dub you, Sir Dino the Brewmaster.", she said for everyone to hear, then gave him a conspiratory wink as she headed back for her perch on the stairs.

Then the burn hit.

Her throat felt positively corroded from the noxious brew. She was willing to bet at this point that the crazy bugger really DID put ST4 in the thing. Still, Brody Ness was not one to show weakness, and choked down her reaction, seating herself quietly, and lighting a cigarette....

Dino eyes her as she shoots down the homemade brew, watching intently. After her proclamation he smiles "Now that's what I'm talkin about. That's someone with an adventurous spirit. Willing to step out a bit". He pulls out a flask and drains the rest of the concoction into it. He then opens his footlocker and retrieves a different flask.

Dino walks over to where Brody had sat down "Well now, be honest this time. It burned a little too much didn't it?" He winks at her "Thanks for puttin up the front for me. Now have a touch of the good stuff. This is an old recipe my great grandfather came up with and passed down." Dino opens the flask and takes a long drink, it's strong, yet it has a nice smoky flavor and a smooth finish, definitely better than his current brew. He offers the flask to Brody "I brew this every so often, the other stuff was my own reciping that i'm still uh... well experimenting with, I take it with me on missions. Helps to keep me on my toes, so to speak".

coldskier0320
11 April 2006, 10:17 AM
"Well now, be honest this time. It burned a little too much didn't it?" He winks at her "Thanks for puttin up the front for me. Now have a touch of the good stuff. This is an old recipe my great grandfather came up with and passed down." Dino opens the flask and takes a long drink, it's strong, yet it has a nice smoky flavor and a smooth finish, definitely better than his current brew. He offers the flask to Brody "I brew this every so often, the other stuff was my own reciping that i'm still uh... well experimenting with, I take it with me on missions. Helps to keep me on my toes, so to speak".

Brody cocks an eyebrow at Dino. The guy wa alright, but it didn't mean she wanted a friend. Still, he was head ad shoulders over that ridiculously-garbed duelist, "That stuff was just fine. it bites back, I like that."

Accepting the second flask, she again gives it her test-sniff, and is pleasantly surprised by the apparent quality of the liquid inside. nodding to Dino, she takes a small sip of the drink, actually bothering to taste this time.

"Not bad.", she says at last, "I'm used to that engine cleaner from before, but this is a nice change of pace."

Only showing the barest of smiles, she suddenly seems to realize she's letting her guard down, then hastily adds, "Needs more kick."

After a long moment of silence, Brody finally decides what to say: nothing. Still wordless, she lights herself another cigarette and watches the rest of the group carry on below her, content to let Dino occupy the same general area as her.

[OOC: Good stuff, dog! Thanks for some interaction on the fly. Also, as a disclaimer, I tend to get very in-character when playing these types, but believe me, it IS all an act. Just look at Q:TU-BH...Tresk absolutely hates Kol, but irl, i think SJ's great. A little goofy...but still. :)]

Rabbiddog
11 April 2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by coldskier0320


Brody cocks an eyebrow at Dino. The guy wa alright, but it didn't mean she wanted a friend. Still, he was head ad shoulders over that ridiculously-garbed duelist, "That stuff was just fine. it bites back, I like that."

Accepting the second flask, she again gives it her test-sniff, and is pleasantly surprised by the apparent quality of the liquid inside. nodding to Dino, she takes a small sip of the drink, actually bothering to taste this time.

"Not bad.", she says at last, "I'm used to that engine cleaner from before, but this is a nice change of pace."

Only showing the barest of smiles, she suddenly seems to realize she's letting her guard down, then hastily adds, "Needs more kick."

After a long moment of silence, Brody finally decides what to say: nothing. Still wordless, she lights herself another cigarette and watches the rest of the group carry on below her, content to let Dino occupy the same general area as her.

[OOC: Good stuff, dog! Thanks for some interaction on the fly. Also, as a disclaimer, I tend to get very in-character when playing these types, but believe me, it IS all an act. Just look at Q:TU-BH...Tresk absolutely hates Kol, but irl, i think SJ's great. A little goofy...but still. :)]

Dino smiles broadly at her comment "Well at least someone enjoys my brew. The others don't seem to have the taste to pick up on the subtle nuances of it. But you are right, this recipe could stand to be stronger..." He looks at the flask "Hmmm, maybe I can start experimenting with that recipe. Anyway, that's why I like to take the other stuff with me. Like you said, it bites back" Dino, takes another drink and sits for a bit, feeling somewhat awkward. "You know, for a dustball, I kinda like the nights here on Tatooine, quiet, cool, all the stars are out" He says, getting the feeling she doesn't really want any company, Dino excuses himself, "Well, I guess I should tend to other matters. Let me know if you want another drink, as a matter of fact I usually keep a flask under the pillow on my bunk. Just help yourself whenever you want" He stands and begins to walk back to his bunk, stopping briefly to turn and look at Brody, smiling he continues on.


OOC: Thanks, I like to play in character too. Good character development is key for me when playing theses games.

Stormrider
11 April 2006, 11:01 AM
After performing his daily excerise regimen of martial arts..Lai Kavak would hit the sonic shower..letting the grime and sand sluice off of his tired body.

I'm gettin to old for this... 21 years in the service. No friends, no family... After this war is over..I ought to retire..set up a practice on Duro...maybe head to some Rim world where docters are needed. The "old" Duros shook his head grimly...such thoughts were for peacetime..when there were not a horde of conquering aliens bent on enslaving the universe out there....

Dressing in a comfortable pair of blue scrubs he'd head out into the main area..where the others were. A polite smile was in place.

Standing distant from the others..he was content to observe. To stay quiet and distant. Reaching down into a small pouch clipped to the utility belt Lai withdrew a home-made cigerette.

rolling them yourself improved the flavor and was fracking cheaper than buying the professional brands like Marlblast. He gave a mental shake of his head upon seeing Na'duel....dressed like a colorful rooster..a great target for any blaster carrying thug. Not to mention the Vong. The rest of the unit seemed like a competent bunch.

Taking a puff on the cigerette Lai mused to himself... More like the ragtag units of the Alliance..bunch of characters and rogues than any formal New Republic military unit....


It was going to be an interesting time

Uron Teff
11 April 2006, 12:52 PM
Sitting on his bunk with the Herloss HBt-4 resting in his left armpit Taran follows the conversations in the room. Listening here and there his ears and eyes finally grind to halt upon the female Lance Corporal and the brewer who had introduced himself as Dino.
With average interest he follows the conversation till the two talk about the differences between the two liquors Dino served the Lance Corporal. His eyes shift from the two to the other members of the team trying to concentrate opon the other topics discussed.
Nothing of interest here. Despite this droid. Raising from the bunk his desert camouflage poncho falls back into the right position covering his upper body part. The sand at the sole of his boots scrunching as he walks up to the droid. Just before taking the word Taran swings his sporting blaster rifle on his back to have both hands free. His dark and foreign sounding voice clearly different from Brody's his eyes focus stay on the droid and its weapons.

[Taran] Hey droid. I'd like to know why you are here and what kind of special techniques and tricks you've got. You don't look like cannon fodder either. So tell what you're trained in, droid.

With the corner of his eyes Taran keeps track of the droids movement while staying focused on its "face" if it can be called like this. A swift expression of disgust is visible on Taran's face as he examines the droid. They are built to look like humans, walk like humans and talk like humans. But nonetheless they are still circuitry, metal and energy cells. The slight disgust vanishes as fast as it has appeared and Taran stares at the droids metal face with somewhat compressed dark brown eyes.

Vice Man
11 April 2006, 01:48 PM
Savin, having been assigned out here becuase of the Vong, hooks his Courier Communications Scanner to his hand held Personal Computer and boots up his A.I. Program, and loads a couple of his other programs and also loading in a New Republic Anti-Hacking/anti-trace software. he also hooks his system up to both a land line and a encrypted Comlink (DC 35). He then Sets the A.I. program to use the scanner to scan the com frequencies that the New Republic has logged as being used by the vong or the Peace brigade and any other frequencies for most commonly used phrases and words. Also to try to hack into any mainframes that are referred to by the peace Brigade or the vong, and get a list of transports that have been in here since two weeks before the report of the vong being here till now and look for any Biological or organic goods that came onto the planet recently and who owns the ships and where the crates are going.

Savin setting that aside and within eyesight started gathering the tools and materials nessecary for his upcoming project. Deciding on which person, and what armo to begin with. He went up to brody, in his envriomental suit and asked "I noiticed that your armor could use some modification, if you like, I could modify it for you, and you could even help, I would just need to know what modifications you would like."

Hopefullly she would agree without taking him aprat first.

(O.C.C. The A.I. Program will take at least 10 or even 20 to get as far as it is able. If it detects an atempt to back trace, using the NR Software it will sever the connection. Anything it can not do or deems to dangerous to do on its own, it will put it aside for when Savin comes back on, which will be at least twice a day. As for the Armor Modification, Mack please read my post on the OCC forum. I will take ten for the armor modifications each day.)

PsychoInfiltrator
11 April 2006, 02:45 PM
"Ahh, you just haven't aquired the taste to distinguish the subtle differences between my world class hooch and bantha piss is all."
"I hoep you didn't buy that from a local canteen. I bribed one of the bartenders to get him to tel me what the main ingredient is in the stuff they selll around here. It's liquified nerf dung." Ven winked at the others.


"Indeed, I am that droid. And yes, I should enjoy a test of combat skill. Please indicate when you are ready to proceed. Also, please allow me to say, that your cape appears both functional and asthetically pleasing. Might I ask as to where you obtained it? I should very much like to possess one like it for my collection."


Waht was it that Barabel said in his memoir? ... Ah-"A droid, a droid, and always a droid,"-that was it. All of a sudden, Ven knew what he meant.

"I acquired the original blue cape as the victor of a dueling tournament on Ragamon 4, well, the third moon thereof. I thne paid a fair-well, actually substantial-fee to have a thick black layer of fabric put on the outside, to contrast the colours. The fee also including a durability treatment which has helped to keep the cape in its pristine-if currently sand-encrusted-state. As an added bonus, the cape is quite warm when used as a blanket. Well, it's a bonus on most worlds. ... It does not appear that oyu are carrying a vibrorapier at the moment, but if someone-most liekly you or I-can convince the quartermaster to give you one, I'd be quite willing to go a few sparring mathces with oyu later-provided that we are off-duty, naturally."

...


Hey droid. I'd like to know why you are here and what kind of special techniques and tricks you've got. You don't look like cannon fodder either. So tell what you're trained in, droid.

"Probably decapitation of unruly marines. ... (to Burn) I do believe that you've been challenged to your preferred form of theoretically non-lethal close-range combat by this blaster conoisseur(sp?). ... Well, pick your instument of choice." Ven's look at Taran isn't a glare, but his fang-like teeth are currently arrayed in something that, if viewed by an expert on the species, would be a cross between a feral gaze and a grin.

OOC:
Also, as a disclaimer, I tend to get very in-character when playing these types, but believe me, it IS all an act. That goes ofr me too.

Uron Teff
11 April 2006, 04:55 PM
[Ven] Probably decapitation of unruly marines. I do believe that you've been challenged to your preferred form of theoretically non-lethal close-range combat by this blaster conoisseur. Well, pick your instument of choice.

Taran smiles obviously at the taunting remark towards his person but continues to stay calm. Not taking his eyes from the droid infront of him he addresses his next word towards the Sergeant.

[Taran] With all due respect, sir, I think this is neither the situation nor the place to arrange lethal contest between two squad members. I guess we've got some serious business to do here and it wouldn't pay of if two or at least one squad member were injured before the mission is in its important phase.

What a brain dead idea. A physical fight with a machine. I guess non of us could stand it. Slightly flinching from the thought of a hand-to-hand engagement with the large droid Taran steps closer to the droid called Burn.

[Taran] Well then. I guess your speciallity is then martial combat. Am I mistaken?

johnnyputrid
11 April 2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Uron Teff
[Taran] Hey droid. I'd like to know why you are here and what kind of special techniques and tricks you've got. You don't look like cannon fodder either. So tell what you're trained in, droid.

Burn knew from the emphasis on the word droid that the old prejudices would never vanish. While it is true that the occassional droid broke its programming and went berserk, this was not the rule, but rather the exception. He could understand the human's distrust of independent droids, but deep within his core, Burn felt he must address the issue and get it out of the way. He decided that instead of replying with one of the more vulgar responses currently cycling through his central processor, he would reply with a neutral tone.

"I am here because of my current assignment as a New Republic Marine. I am unsure of our command's motives for assigning me to this unit, but I assure you I will perform my duties to the best of my capacity.

As for my 'techniques and tricks' as you put it, I am programmed in 1,253 separate fighting forms involving the use of staff-like melee weapons. My original programming, which I still retain, was comprised primarily of small unit tactical routines for use against clone trooper and Jedi opponents. I possess an expert-level qualification rating on 93% of all ranged weapons currently in use by NR special operations forces, though I do admit a preference for blaster carbines. I have recently uploaded all known information regarding Yuuzhan Vong combat styles and have begun to incorporate counter-routines into my tactical analysis module.

I am fully armored in a light-weight duranium alloy composite armor shell which has enabled me to survive 11,967 direct blaster hits to the torso, as well as 2,760,411 vibro weapon attacks. My heuristic processor allows me to instantaneously adjust my tactics during combat, along with storing the appropriate counter-tactics and associated subroutines. I possess a backup processor and photoreceptor, enabling me to continue full operation in the event of decapitation or severe trauma. My leg servos enable me to jump up to 20 meters in a single direction or up to 8 meters vertically. My feet are able to magnetize, allowing me to traverse inverted or heavily sloped metal surfaces with ease. I am equipped with infrared vision, advanced audio and visual sensors and am well versed in binary communications. I also possess a secured internal comlink, an audio recording device and a reuseble grappling spike launcher."

Drawing himself up to his full 2 meter height, Burn adjusted his neck servos so as to look down upon the man.

"And I would prefer it if you referred to me as Burn, or IG-192 if you like. I will not be referred to as simply 'droid'. I did not suffer 19 standard years of torture, indignity and imprisonment by the Empire to be spoken to as if I were a common household appliance."

Letting his intimidation subroutines subside, Burn exited the room and stood alone in the desert night. Although not capable of true emotion, he had 'felt' some slight irration, and had noticed his core temperature had risen by 3 degrees. Allowing a soothing diagnostics program to run, he remained still as his systems cooled down.


(OOC: I also enjoy playing very in-character, for the record. All this in-character tension just makes things so much more fun!:D)

Uron Teff
11 April 2006, 05:38 PM
[Burn] And I would prefer it if you referred to me as Burn, or IG-192 if you like. I will not be referred to as simply 'droid'. I did not suffer 19 standard years of torture, indignity and imprisonment by the Empire to be spoken to as if I were a common household appliance.

Viewing the droid walk out of the room Taran stands there and his thoughts are racing. I've never seen a droid reacting this way. I could have sworn he raised his voice with his rising temper. But droids don't have tempers. They are droids. Not living individuals.
Looking back from the door to the place where the droid had sit, why did he sit anyway?, Taran's view falls upon the male Togruta to his left. Staring at him with a reproachful view Taran alludes with a slight smirk on his face just before he turned and walked back to the srmchair he sat in earlier.

[Taran] Well done, sarge.

-----------------
OOC: And yes, this time my character might be the bad boy... maybe. ;)

coldskier0320
11 April 2006, 05:59 PM
"I noiticed that your armor could use some modification, if you like, I could modify it for you, and you could even help, I would just need to know what modifications you would like."

Brody eyes the armor-clad humanoid uncertainly.

Real chummy, this group. What? Do I have 'Personnel Relations' tatooed on my forehead?

"Well", she begins, "err...what exactly did you have in mind? The last time I got that jumpsuit upgraded it was in the shop for three weeks. In between times I got transferred and spent a week up near the front with no armor. Not nice, believe me."

After getting a response, she puts off dealing with the guy, "Um, well lemme think on it. I'll get back to you...uh...later."


"I hoep you didn't buy that from a local canteen. I bribed one of the bartenders to get him to tel me what the main ingredient is in the stuff they selll around here. It's liquified nerf dung." Ven winked at the others.

Brody rolled her eyes incredulously, "I think you got suckered then, paying for that poodoo answer. There isnt a nerf around for parsecs and noone here's wealthy enough to import $hit. Might be bantha...or maybe dewback...but certainly not nerf. Do your homework before you go on the rip, kid."

Brody gives Dino a small grin.


I do believe that you've been challenged to your preferred form of theoretically non-lethal close-range combat by this blaster conoisseur(sp?). ... Well, pick your instument of choice.

"Someone should sue his proctologist for malpractice, he was supposed to remove that stick from his ass...", Brody murmurs to Dino, and whoever else happens to be beside her upon hearing the duelist's attempt to pick a fight...between two other people.

She could see that neither of the biologicals really liked the droid, but at least the human seemed to respect it's ability.

I'll give you your 'duel' anytime, drama queen. Weapon of choice? Oh, I'll take my heavy repeater, thank you. What? Well of COURSE it doesn't have a stun setting...

Brody thoroughly enjoyed the droid's monologue, and felt that he'd effectively shut down the other two, but was slightly disappointed to see him leave the room moments later. Getting up without a word, she headed upstairs, and sat on the roof, directly above where Burn stood.

"An eight meter vertical jump, man? I don't believe it.", Brody called down with a wry grin, inviting the droid to join her on the roof.

Rabbiddog
11 April 2006, 06:12 PM
Hearing the exchange between Taran and Burn, as well as Burns' response to Tarans' insistent question, he chuckles to himself and shakes his head at Taran. "Never bring a vibroblade to an assault droid fight" he muses to himself.

johnnyputrid
11 April 2006, 06:39 PM
"An eight meter vertical jump, man? I don't believe it.", Brody called down with a wry grin, inviting the droid to join her on the roof.

Allowing his diagnostic program to finish, Burn faced the woman and nodded slightly. Then without warning, he crouched and sprang precisely 8 meters straight up, twisting in midair and landing on the roof just hard enough to loosen some of the ceiling tiles inside the safehouse. Facing the young human, he bowed modestly, letting his arm sweep his tattered cloak aisde in a semi-dramitic gesture.

"I believe with some minor adjustments, my jump servos could enable a 9 meter leap, but I see no reason to go beyond 8. 8 is an asthetically pleasing number, wouldn't you say?"

Interesting. I believe organics would refer to this as 'showing off'. Perhaps I shouldn't boast of my abilities too strongly. It would bring much embarrsement if I cracked an actuator and failed to perform up to specifications.

Vice Man
11 April 2006, 07:30 PM
Savin momentarily rendered speach less quickly regains his footing repling in the raspy whisper his species is known for and made slightly worse by the voice amplification unit in his helmet, a male voice says "maybe 7 to 14 days, less if i had some help, as for mods, any one you could possibly want, maybe a built in comlink or some electrobinoculars built inot the visor?"

"Um, well lemme think on it. I'll get back to you...uh...later."

Savin Inclines his head slightly and turns and goes to the bench where he put his personal computer. He also checks on his personal computer and see how his A.I. coming along wiht what he tasked it with, he conects his computer to a droid who sorts files and colattes it all into understandable formats. While that is running, he uses a regular sized personel computer he loads a copy of his A.I. Program onto it and attempts to upgrade the program.

(OCC: if you need roll then 12 + 14= 26 for the alter program for the A.I. Also are you going to roll everything or what is the system on that? If you need any more rolls for the stuff The A.I. is doing then let me know.)

coldskier0320
11 April 2006, 07:32 PM
"I believe with some minor adjustments, my jump servos could enable a 9 meter leap, but I see no reason to go beyond 8. 8 is an asthetically pleasing number, wouldn't you say?"

Brody nodded, "Yeah, definitely. Have a seat. Nothing to be had at nine that you can't get with eight. Heh heh..."

Brody struggled for a moment, unsuccessfully, to avoid an awkward silence. As the seconds strectched out, she was grateful that droids apparently didn't recognize silences as awkward. In Brody's fairly short life, most of the sounds she'd heard had been shouting and screaming...normal conversation was a luxury to the street urchin turned marine, but she still found silence unnatural and unnerving on a subliminal level.

"So", she started again, "I, uh, I wouldn't let them get to you. You just prove yourself out there, and they'll shut up.", she indicated the desert with a vague gesture.

"You here by choice? How'd you end up as a marine? For my part, I ended up here after some, ah, 'social reprogramming'...apparently, my view of society was rather distorted.", she pats her superheavy pistol, "I'm glad to see they've straightened me out."

[OOC: Big hint as to the explanation of Brody's last name here! :D]

johnnyputrid
11 April 2006, 09:09 PM
"So", she started again, "I, uh, I wouldn't let them get to you. You just prove yourself out there, and they'll shut up.", she indicated the desert with a vague gesture.

"You here by choice? How'd you end up as a marine? For my part, I ended up here after some, ah, 'social reprogramming'...apparently, my view of society was rather distorted.", she pats her superheavy pistol, "I'm glad to see they've straightened me out."

Facing the indicated desert, Burn assumed a relaxed posture.

"Droid prejudice is not uncommon, even more so for those of us who are not bound by typical master/servant relationships. As there is little I can do, I shall continue to tolerate such behavior. Perhaps my actions will alter the viewpoints of others, perhaps not. It makes little difference to me.

As for how I came to be here, it was not by choice, but rather by duty. My former unit was disbanded due to the current war. We specialized in shipboard assault and vessel capture, but unfortunately the biotechnological vessels of the Yuuzhan Vong rendered my unit's mission obsolete. My supervisor inquired as to my next assignment preference, and I stated that I had none. I serve as needed. Apparantly, my services were needed with this unit. "

Noting the way she wore the heavy pistol on her hip, and the unusual reference to programming, Burn felt compelled to query this woman.

"Curious, I do not understand your reference to 'social reprogramming'. Are you saying that you were biologically altered at some point to become a career soldier? I had believed that sort of behavior ended with the demise of the Empire. Was I mistaken, or am I merely misinterpreting your statement?"

He expected no explanation, but he often found that his manner elicited positive responses from time to time. Perhaps the woman would tell him more, perhaps not. Strangely though, Burn found his processor actually anticipating a response.

coldskier0320
11 April 2006, 09:34 PM
"Curious, I do not understand your reference to 'social reprogramming'. Are you saying that you were biologically altered at some point to become a career soldier? I had believed that sort of behavior ended with the demise of the Empire. Was I mistaken, or am I merely misinterpreting your statement?"

Brody laughs at this, but it is a humorless, hollow laugh, that ends in a rueful smile and her staring out into the desert.

For a clone wars vet, he still has alot to learn...

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, she looked back to the droid, who was still sitting in more of less an identical position.

"Burn...", she began, "You've been a part of this galaxy for a long time. Have you ever...reached a point...where your life...your existence...seemed to lack any sort of purpose or direction?"

Brody returned her gaze to the desert. She almost gave Burn enough time to formulate a response, before she actually answered his original question, "And yes, you kinda missed my meaning there, bud. Basically, a few years back, I was a messed up little girl. I got 'involuntarily reassigned' into a sort of training regimen, and when I was done, I went from having no direction, to having a slight military leaning, so, with nothing at all to lose, I enlisted. Sometimes, like in the heat of an intense firefight, I'm glad I made that decision. I like feeling like I belong, like things would be very different were I not present. You know? But other times, like...well like at night...I wonder if i've changed after all. I dress the same, look the same, and think the same as 'street urchin Brody'. Sometimes...I just feel like a toy doll...I'm in the same packaging now, but instead of a pair of vibroknucklers and gang colors, my accessory pack includes military hardware."

A moment passes, before she adds...or confesses, "Sometimes...I feel worse for having enlisted. Like I just made up an excuse for myself to be a social outcast. Or like this is some cheap publicity stunt. Something the republic recruitment department can point to in pride. I thought I had no identity...until I lost it..."

A few seconds of silence, then Brody flinches suddenly, and that rare window into her existence is lost forever. She turns again to face Burn, and her eyes seem a bit darker, with a few streaks along her cheeks.

Cocking an eyebrow, she asks, "Wanna smoke?", and lights herself a cigarette, extending the handful of cigarette box and lighter to Burn. She didn't really think he'd accept, but she'd certainly seen weirder things in her day. What only her subconscious may have realized, however, is that Burn, more than anything, wanted to be considered 'personnel' not 'equipment', and, in her own subconscious way, offering him a smoke was her way of helping him out, as that was something a normal droid wouldn't be asked.

In Brody's mind, she just knew she needed one, and figured he might too...

PsychoInfiltrator
12 April 2006, 01:06 PM
[Taran] With all due respect, sir, I think this is neither the situation nor the place to arrange lethal contest between two squad members. I guess we've got some serious business to do here and it wouldn't pay of if two or at least one squad member were injured before the mission is in its important phase.

"Glad to see that you have a high appreciation of Burn's skills, if not his status. If I were you, I wouldn't insult him again."

Ven motions Taran aside.

Speaking loud enough to be heard by any nearby who were paying attention, but quiet enough that he didn't even raise his voice, Ven responded, "I once knew a Barabel who nearly tore a human in half for a derogatory remark along those lines. I hear one more racial slur to Burn and I'll carve you up myself. If he doesn't beat me to it, and I won't stop him. That goes for any racial slur. "

Ven, figuring that that about ocvered it, and that there were enough people allied agianst him-My troops need to band ot gether. They need a common enemy. The Vong aren't here, so I'll do fine. And I cannot tolerate cultural or species biases among my men-and women-and so I will not." -that he could get out of conversation range.

He moved off to the far cormer of the 'warehouse' and pretended to inspect the serial numberson some ammo crates, with his back turned. Nonetheless, he still continued to listen to what they said, as best he could. He cared greatly for 'his' troops, imperfect and insuboordinate though they might be. Fortunately, before he was tansferred, his sergeant had given him soem pointers. Ven had never realized that being the oen everyone hates was so tough. Or so necessary.

johnnyputrid
12 April 2006, 06:56 PM
Burn listened attentively as Brody explained her remark. Understanding that she had faced significant trials and tribulations, he remained silent as he contemplated these new findings and ran a quick analysis program. His conclusion was that the young human was without sufficient direction in life. Unlike himself, she did not have a set series of parameters and behavioral guidelines to follow in the absence of clear direction. He found this to be unusual, in that the majority of the organics he had worked with were much more focused and direct in their approach.

Burn found his diplomacy subroutines beginning to stir within his processor. By virtue of rank, he was clearly responsible for her well-being and training. As this was new to him, having only received his promotion recently, he decided to fulfill his leadership directives and assist her by whatever means necessary. How he was to accomplish this however, was something he would need to further analyze.

Burn was about to reply as such when she proferred him a small package of thin cylinders and an ingition device. Baffled as to their function, he accepted them and examined the package with multiple passes of his visual sensors.

"I do not believe I am familiar with these devices. Could you please explain their usage to me?"

Curious. I believe these devices may be a part of some sort of organic bonding ritual, the nature of which eludes my programming. If so, it would be my duty as her supervisor to accept her offering. Perhaps this will assist in developing our relationship. If I do not make some effort to assist her with her difficulties, I will be in violation of my responsibilities as her leader. This I cannot allow.

Still examining the cigarette package, he turned to her and spoke in quieter tone.

"Rest assured Brody Ness, that I will endeavor to assist you in discovering your direction in life. We should of course begin by killing every Yuuzhan Vong infesting this galaxy. Once they are gone, you will have more freedom to choose your path."

Hmmm. Perhaps more analysis would have been in order prior to that remark. I may have just convinced her that I am a nothing more than a bloodthirsty killing machine. This may well be an inherent programming dillema, since I am in fact a bloodthirsty killing machine. A rather sophisiticated bloodthirsty killing machine to be sure, but....

coldskier0320
12 April 2006, 07:24 PM
"I do not believe I am familiar with these devices. Could you please explain their usage to me?"

Real bright, Ness. Really, frellin' brilliant...Brody chided herself.

"Ah, well, ya smoke 'em. But seeing as how you lack the proper mouthparts, they wouldnt be much use to you, I'm afraid."

While internally, the droid's mechanical response only made her feel that much more alienated, but outwardly, she put on a good face, grinning slightly to Burn as he sat in whatever passed for deep thought among droids.


"Rest assured Brody Ness, that I will endeavor to assist you in discovering your direction in life. We should of course begin by killing every Yuuzhan Vong infesting this galaxy. Once they are gone, you will have more freedom to choose your path."

At this, a slight twinkle flashed across Brody's eyes as she smiled a bit more genuinely at the droid who'd just offered to solve her life as calmly and seriously as if he'd been answering a simple problem in arithmetic.

Sketching a mock bow as best she could without standing, she replies, "Well, I'm grateful for your assistance, though, if its all the same to you, I should like to work on the issue on my own a bit while the war progresses.", she finishes, finding herself grinning unconcealably.

This droid is more the gentleman than most guys I met on Coruscant! Go figure...

"Oh by the way, if you ever develop the ability to try those", she adds, indicating the cigarettes Burn held in his manipulator, "I wouldn't reccomend it. They'll take years off your life."

EDIT: Minor enhancements and corrections to improve readability. :)

Uron Teff
13 April 2006, 09:02 AM
I once knew a Barabel who nearly tore a human in half for a derogatory remark along those lines. I hear one more racial slur to Burn and I'll carve you up myself. If he doesn't beat me to it, and I won't stop him. That goes for any racial slur.

Taran shakes slightly at the Sergeant's remark. Forrowing his brows he stood infront of the Sergeant staring in his face. Even though this Sergeant was a Togrutan Taran did stare right into his eyes. Togrutas might view themself as fearless and formidable hunters but I've dealed with deadlier creatures than them. Not impressed by the Sergeants speak he replies.

[Taran] With all due respect, Sergeant, what made you think that I have prejudice towards any member of the squad?

Awaiting patiently the Sergeants reply his dark brown eyes stay fixed upon the Sergeant with hunter ancestors.

Stormrider
13 April 2006, 11:12 AM
With an agitated shake of his head and a mental sigh Lai would crush the half smoked cigerette under his well scuffed and scarred military issue boot. The Sergeant is either a fool or has a very strange way of leading. More than likely the former....and Taran..the same as I remember him from the Black Fleet Crisis.. With three strides the aged Duros be between Taran and the Togruta.

Gentleman...I would suggest a cease in hostilities. Bad blood between comrades is not something we need..especially with a war on. It can lead to..unpleasent consequences A polite smile was clamped on Lai's blue face. His voice was calm and collected..with even a trace of friendliness. Though it was loud enough for Na"duel to hear..as was his following offer.

Perhaps you would care to share a smoke? I find them to be great stress relievers..even if they are bad for one's health He profered a home-rolled cigerette to Taran and to the Sergeant if he should come over.


Damned young pups....brawling in the field... I'll likely wind up patching up one or the other before this tour is over with.and not from enemy wounds.

Uron Teff
13 April 2006, 11:41 AM
[Lai] Gentleman...I would suggest a cease in hostilities. Bad blood between comrades is not something we need..especially with a war on. It can lead to..unpleasent consequences.

As the familiar voice from his left spoke the few words his heart made a jump. Well I do remember what had happened on Kojash with us. The New Republic kept us waiting for two weeks before the final call send us is to liberate the miners. We almost killed ourselves in the save house.
With a grin playing around his mouth Taran looks at his long time comrade Lai Kavak.

[Taran] I do remember the du'kar'nor on Kokash. This du'jo'nar is almost as du'mar as this du'kar of Corporal back then. Remember?

With his view resting on Lai his mind keeps spinning. Is he still remembering what we learned on Kojash? Taran thinks as his hand moves to get hold of one of Lai's cigarettes.

Stormrider
13 April 2006, 01:16 PM
A weary chuckle came from the Duros as he sat next to his old comrade. ..That my friend is true.du'jo'nar indeed. Handing Taran his spare lighter..Lai offered a grim smile to the man. What brings you back to the service? At the man's mention of the Corporal..memories from several years back began to surface.

Ahhh Taran.. What memories we have....over two weeks of pure hell...masqurading as a slave is not among the best of things for one's health..nor is the threat of a painful death from the Yevathans..It was no wonder the new recruits cracked..fighting with each other...they should have never been on such a delicate operation. nearly blew the mission..I wonder where they are today. I do hope the slave's we rescued are safe and happy..

Lapsing into silence...he simply stared at the wall. A small smile hovered across the Duro's lips....it was good to see an old comrade and friend...

Uron Teff
13 April 2006, 01:51 PM
[Lai]That my friend is true.du'jo'nar indeed. What brings you back to the service?
<P ALIGN="justify">Without hesitation Taran takes the lighter and lights his cigarette. After two drags on his cigarette a smile froms upon his face. Good that you ask that. After what has happened here I almost forgot why I'm here.</P>

[Taran] It's a long story, Lai'roko.

<P ALIGN="justify">Using Lai's nickname from their last assignment together brings up memories pain and slaughtering in Taran's mind. His eyes shortly seem to focus on something far away outside of the protective walls of the squad's domicile. Realizing that he was staring his eyes quickly find again Lais' and he continues to speak.</P>

[Taran] Well after the assignment on Kokash and after the New Republic had won the war against those Yevethar de'ruki I had some interferences. I decided to go back to Andora. After quite a time...

<P ALIGN="justify">Pausing short and realizing that he is telling half his life, Taran face expressed a broad smile.</P>

[Taran] Oh, I didn't want to bore you, Lai'ruka. I didn't want to tell you my life time story. Well...

<P ALIGN="justify">Taran takes another drag from his cigarette before finally getting to the point.</P>

[Taran] Well I worked as a big game hunter for the last, uh, long time until a someone showed up and asked me to return to the New Republic military service. Ma'ruka, I don't want to talk about this person in detail. Let's just say, he made me a very good offer for my skills. Nonetheless he didn't restore my rank, as you can see, Lai'ruka.

<P ALIGN="justify">Taking a long drag from his cigarette his face turns to Sergeant Ven and back again. With a questioning expression upon his face he seaks up again.</P>

[Taran] And what about you, ma'ruka. Since when are you around this du'kar?

PsychoInfiltrator
14 April 2006, 07:54 AM
[Taran] With all due respect, Sergeant, what made you think that I have prejudice towards any member of the squad?

"Your tone of voyz, later augmented by Burn's analytical assessment of it. Rest assured, I have a very short memory when it comes to bad things that only happen once." Ven spoke evenly, authoritatively, and not the least bit condescendingly. OOC Note: Fro the time being, at least, I have decided that letters of syllables that are emphasized do to Ven's accent will be italicized.

IC:

Ven turns and lsitens to Lai.


Gentleman...I would suggest a cease in hostilities. Bad blood between comrades is not something we need..especially with a war on. It can lead to..unpleasent consequences

"I don't think a single in-see-dent will amount to to much in the grand scheme of things."


Perhaps you would care to share a smoke? I find them to be great stress relievers..even if they are bad for one's health

"No thanks, I don't smoke."

Ven turns and leaves the two-apparently old comrades-discuss old times in apparent privacy. Secretly, Ven listens in, always gathering more informationn to better assess his troops. A mini-deployment with both of them would likely increase their combat efficiency, but possibly alienate others. ...But then.... ...too many variables Ven decided-jsut in time to hear that his continued close presence-he must have pasued while walking-was noticed.


[Taran] And what about you, ma'ruka. Since when are you around this du'kar?

Ven turned back, and smiled, slightly. "Depends on the language, Vis'tar. (Vees-tar) In Togrutan...I have never been to a brothel, and doubt I ever will. In Huttese...that former pet nerf of Jarukal's was stepped on by his rancor years ago. I thought it stopped following me shortly thereafter. ... So which definition amI to use for 'du'kar'?"

Uron Teff
14 April 2006, 08:13 AM
[Ven] Depends on the language, Vis'tar. (Vees-tar) In Togrutan...I have never been to a brothel, and doubt I ever will. In Huttese...that former pet nerf of Jarukal's was stepped on by his rancor years ago. I thought it stopped following me shortly thereafter. ... So which definition amI to use for 'du'kar'?

Taking his eyes form his old friend Lai his view shifts to the Sergeant standing not far away from their position. With a broad and obvious double-faced Taran replies to the question.

[Taran] Well use the Yevethan definition, Sarge.

Not caring if the Sergeant understood their conversation or not Taran turned back towrards Lai rolling his eyes not visible to Ven.

[Taran] Where were you, ma'ruka?

PsychoInfiltrator
14 April 2006, 08:16 AM
[Taran] Well use the Yevethan definition, Sarge

"All well and good if I knew what it was."

coldskier0320
14 April 2006, 12:55 PM
I think we're all ready to move on to the next day...i think?

PsychoInfiltrator
14 April 2006, 01:35 PM
OOC: Mostly. I think that there might be a bit more to Taran, Lai, and Ven's conversation, but other than that...

Mack Jace
15 April 2006, 11:05 AM
OOC: I'm going to move us ahead. If anyone wishes to post stuff for before this, go right ahead.

IC:
After a few hours of playing cards, talking about past assignments, or cleaning of weapons, evryone eventually gets to sleep. Outside the "barracks", the Tatooine night becomes cold, the coldest the desert planet will ever get, and there is nothing alive save for a few bantha that roam around the city.

The next day, everyone is up at 0500 hours, getting ready for their patrol duty. There are a few moans and groans about how this isn't the work they were trained for, but were eventually stopped when reminders of what else they could be doing followed. The door to the outside slides open, and Lt. Jace walks in. He ignores any who salute him, not being a jerk, just preoccupied. He walks up to the nearest table, and clears it of any debris. "Gather 'round, everyone," he says, and when everyone complies, he goes on, "I just got back from command, and we've been assigned patrol route Gamma." He pulls out a small holoplayer and places it on the table. An image of tatooine from a bird's eye view comes up, along with their assigned patrol route labeled in red. Jace continues, " We will move south from Mos Espa to Tower 11, move east to Towers 5 and 7, move north to tower 2, west to tower 1, and south again home. All in all it'll be about 10 clicks of walking, so be in it for the long haul. We will stop at Tower 2 around noon local time, and rest there. Any questions?"

You guys can post reactions, etc. and I'll give you the map later.

PsychoInfiltrator
15 April 2006, 11:29 AM
...but were eventually stopped when reminders of what else they could be doing followed.

"I'm sure that you oculd be transferred to one of the frontline units with a 70% weekly casualty unit."

"Here at least you've got hot and almsot-cold running water. On Hoth, you have ice, and freshly melted ice. And did I mentiont he fact that the walls melt if you try to use any form of climate control?"

"Anytime you vant to switch places with the NR envoy to the Hutts, go vright ahead."

Mack Jace
15 April 2006, 02:28 PM
Here is the map.

Mack Jace
15 April 2006, 02:40 PM
Let's try this again.....

Mack Jace
15 April 2006, 03:01 PM
Okay, if this doesn't work, I don't know what I'll do.:mad: :) :(

coldskier0320
18 April 2006, 03:47 PM
Any questions?

"No sir.", Brody says in a neutral tone, then heads upstairs to gather her things, having no problems seeing what she was doing, even with only the pre-dawn gloom that was filtering through the windows.

She quickly, but methodically donned her armored camo jumpsuit over her white tank and polyfab shorts. Adding a second layer of socks, she then pulled on her boots, despite the tighter fit sue to the extra socks. Finally, she moved to her backpack. Remotely grateful that she hadn't yet unpacked anything, all of her stuff was still in the bergen, in the peripheral pockets. Slinging the light bag over one shoulder, she strapped her gunbelt on, grabbed her heavy repeater and headed downstairs.

The ready-room was a flurry of activity. Squeezing around between a large cargo crate and a Herglic's rump, she managed to get out to the garage, where her generator sat, attached to the home's power regulator. Detaching the imput couplings, she wrestled the heavy chunk of metal into her pack, making sure to fish the output cord through the grommet near the bottom of the main compartment. Screwing this into the appropriate port on the back end of her heavy repeater, she slapped a few switches and hit a few relays, and soon the power indicator had climbed to full.

Satisfied, she heads back into the ready room and snags a bottle of sunscreen being passed around, and gives her face a light coat, the rest of her being covered by her camo armor. Last but not least, she moves her pair of sunglasses from their pocket in her backpack, to a handy spot in a chest pocket. It wasn't bright out yet. But it was going to be. Soon.

johnnyputrid
18 April 2006, 08:59 PM
Having spent the wee hours of the night recharging his primary and secondary batteries, Burn found himself eager to conduct a patrol. The oil bath has sufficently lubricated his joints well enough to repel most of the ever-present sand, though he was concerned with keeping his core temperature in check. He would have to analze his performace during the patrol to develop a proper response program to deal with any unforseen weather-related issues. Unlike the rest of the squad, he had no issues with water loss, thankfully. He was confident he could conduct intensive reconnaissance with little disturbance.

Burn stepped out into the hot morning air ready to begin the day's activites. While his squad mates continued their preparations, he began his pre-combat checks, ensuring his weapons were functioning properly and ready for immediate usage. Adjusting his photoreceptors to account for the increased light emmissions from Tatooine's dual suns, he noticed Kesskel Teers, the avian S'kytri already aflight above him. Waving towards the droid, the grizzled recon trooper began a quick aerial survey of the local surroundings. Burn nodded back and returned inside to gather his squad.

Though it felt unusual to be in charge of organics, the droid quickly realized that each member of his squad was an experienced veteran of some sort, and could likely handle themselves with little difficulty. He decided to run his diplomatic leadership subroutines and address the squad as equals.

"Greetings, squad mates. I trust the morning finds you all well. When all are ready, we can begin our patrol. Perhaps we will even get to kill someone today."

Burn hoped that they all understood his last remark to be humorous, but he was still not completely confident in the delivery of his comedic protocols. Never-the-less, the droid did hope to see some form of combat before the suns set.

coldskier0320
18 April 2006, 09:15 PM
Brody setpped out into the pinkish bathing of light that was the Tatooine dawn, and crinkled her nose as she squinted up toward the target of Burn's photoreceptors. Shrugging, she simply found a place to sit, knowing she'd appreciate it later.


"Greetings, squad mates. I trust the morning finds you all well. When all are ready, we can begin our patrol. Perhaps we will even get to kill someone today."

I wonder if he realized how funny that sounded...Brody thinks to herself, crinkling her nose for the second time this morning. Trying to keep a silly grin from her face, and succeeding, she answers, "Couldn't agree more, Sarge. Let's go turn sand into glass."

Vice Man
18 April 2006, 10:17 PM
Savin just nodded and went to get his stuff. He quickly suited up, getting his Weapons in there proper postions and putting everything in thier correct pockets. Lastly he shruged on his combat pack and made sure he had everything, including a couple of canteens and everything worked properly. When things checked out he went down stairs and sat down in a conveint spot, Blaster rifle sitting in his lap.

He looked at Brody, Burn and their flying companion. He made a note to keep an eye on him, if for no other reason that he could be more vurnerable to enemy fire ecuase most likely see him first. He comtemplated the collection of species in the group, and what they thought about this Extra-galatic invasion and why they worked together. AS hard as he tried he could never seem to get over his Xeno bias, although he did try to be usefull. Maybe they would need to hack into something. However things went today, he hoped he would be helpfull at least.

"Greetings, squad mates. I trust the morning finds you all well. When all are ready, we can begin our patrol. Perhaps we will even get to kill someone today."


He let out a quick snort of laughter, coming out as some sort of electronic hash sound. "Yeah well you never know around here, wheather or not there are Vong out here." making it sound like they could be ambushed this very second, which he thought very likely.

Stormrider
19 April 2006, 07:12 AM
Any questions?"

None at all sir. Without a word to the others..Lai headed for his room to don his gear, First came the light blast vest colored to match the desert sands to Tatooine, Then the utility belt that held an assortment of useful items..from medpacks to rations. Wrestling with the bulky medical backpack he eventually was able to get it to rest fairly comfortably along his back. The Firelance was slung over one shoulder within easy reach should it be needed.and of course three canteens of water. With a sigh Lai Kavak headed back down into the ready room. I'm getting too old for this...tromping around in the sand. Still duty calls..

After coating himself in the sunblock that was being passed around..Lai headed out into the Tatooine morning..it was already hot.

With a shake of his blue head..the Duros would watch the platoon gather. After Taran emerged he offered a grin to the man. Such a lovely day for hiking in the desert..hot,dry, and hot.

Mack Jace
2 May 2006, 04:50 PM
Delta Platoon moves out into the hot, dry, sandy desert. With fresh power packs slapped in, and canteens filled to the brim, the march begins. Lt. Jace directs first squad to the left side of their route, and second squad to the right. He seeks out Lance Corporal Brody at the same time. "Lance Corporal, I need someone with really good eyes, to scout the way ahead," He said, keeping an eye on things as he said so. Brody raises her eyebrows at him, unsure about what he means. After a moment's hesitation, she replies, "Well sir, out of everyone, the best eyes would have to be Private Barandai. He would be the one to go for." After another moment's hesitation, she adds, "Sir, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to give this to you." She hands him a datapad, then continues, "It's got everything you'd ever need to know about the rest of the platoon. I figure you might be able to put it to good use." Jace takes the datapad, then smiles at Brody, "Thank you Lance Corporal, I will be sure to put this too good use." Brody then moves off to give Taran his orders.

Two towers, and just as many hours later, the platoon is about as tired as a group of spice miners on Kessel. Taran is becoming fatigued, and the desert is beginning tricks on him. For a moment, he thinks he sees the glint of a rifle muzzle, but dismisses it as he takes another swig of his water. As he crests yet another dune, he finally realizes what that glint really was, and he finds this out when a blaster bolt rips his hat off his head. He falls on his back, and levels his rifle on top of the dune, all th while yelling, "SNIPER! Everybody down!" Jace scrambles up the dune and lays next to Taran. He can barely see the third tower, and the last one is nowhere in sight. While he begins to try to think out what they can do, the res of the platoon begins to look around everywhere, to make sure there are no other surprises...

OOC: I need Spot checks from everyone. I will PM you the results.

Vice Man
2 May 2006, 05:43 PM
Savin hits the sand, his blaster rifle already pointing in the general direction of the blaster fire. Using his built in electrobinoculars to aid him in spoting the enemy he looks at the suronding dunes, hoping to get a glimpse at the attackers. Once he sights an enemy he will fire back and alert his squad mates to the position.

((OOC: Spot check= 15 + 2 = 17))

Uron Teff
3 May 2006, 01:46 AM
Lying prone only with his head showing up over the dune Taran activates the CT-3/&alpha; which is located on the left side of his head to grant him the certain bonuses of this nasty piece of equipment. He scans the area in front only with his eyes and the all-in-one comlink first and the shifts to the sniper scope on his Herloss HBt-4 Blaster Rifle. Now with magnified vision his view moves over stones and rocks as well as sand on the horizon.

[Taran] This guy shouldnt be that hard to find. He ignored totally the third rule of sniping. Never shoot against the standing sun. I saw a reflection from his scope - or his rifle maybe - before he shot. This guy is an amateur, Lieutenant.

While speaking his eye and his view - still magnified through the scope - scan the horizon and the spot where the reflection came from.

--------------------
OOC: 1d20+13=26 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=437630)
Aint bad, eh? :D

Stormrider
3 May 2006, 06:13 AM
Two hours after the platoon had set out..the desert was getting hot and Lai was getting slightly tired from walking in the blazing sun...sand had worked its way into his boots..somehow. Taking a swig of water Lai Kavak glanced outwards towards Taran..just in time to see his friends cap get shot off and hear his cry to get down.

Within seconds the Duros was on his stomach..Firelance pointed outwards and medical backpack resting next to him. Taran be injured a burn from the blaster bolt or worse..the damned sniper needs to go and quickly.....


Jade green eyes glanced outward scanning the desert for any tail tail signs that might give the attackers position away.



Spot Check. 25. Natural 20+5 skill mod (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=437853)

johnnyputrid
3 May 2006, 08:54 AM
Mostly unaffected by Tatooine's twin blazing suns, Burn trudged on at a steady pace, his cloak billowing slightly as he moved. Though his internal sensors registered a substantial increase in his surface temperature, his core remained fully operational. He'd been in worse conditions, and was truly thankful that at least Tatooine wasn't a jungle-infested world. He never enjoyed testing the capabilities of his rust inhibitor.

Burn was keeping himself busy by scanning the dunes for anything unusual when his audio sensors registered a blaster shot from off in the distance. Automatically adjusting the filters in his photoreceptors, he tuned out the fiery sun and recalibrated his sensors to decect particle energy. Following the bolt as it blew off Taran's cap, he quickly dropped prone and began scanning the general direction from where he thought the shot came from. Glancing back to make sure no one had been hit and that his squad was assuming proper positioning, he brought his carbine up. Peering down the weapon's sights with one 'eye', he kept the other filtered to the surrounding environment.

Long distance combat was not Burn's forte, so he could only hope the squad's marksmen had discovered the position of their attacker. Burn quickly calculated an attack formation subroutine designed to bring his squad into a flanking position, estimating their chances of defeating a single sniper to be reasonably high. But he knew from years of combat experience that rarely would one encounter a lone sniper in an environment such as this. At best they would be facing only a small recon team, or some of local savages known commonly as 'sand people;. Burn strongly desired an opportunity to face one of these masked creatures in personal combat, but knew that more than likely there were several beings gunning for them at the moment.


(OOC: Spot check; roll 6 + skill mod 9 = 15; I prefer to roll dice the old fashioned way, if that's no problem. I'm an honest fellow.:))

PsychoInfiltrator
3 May 2006, 02:32 PM
OOC: I roll dice the old fashion way too. Roll: 15+mod=total.

IC:

In short, Ven was bored.

Then a blaster bolt nearly took off Lt. Jace's head.

Then he was not bored.

Wishing that he was riding his swoop, Ven dropped flat, opening up the small black briefcase he was carrying in one smooth motion. The sniper was both hidden and somewhat far way. No point using his Kylan.

Ven's practised gestures put together his X-45. (I forget how many rounds that takes. Anyways, since I will be gone, here's waht Ven will do next.)

Assuming that he's located the sniper before the sniper dies, Ven sights on him and shoots.

If other snipers show, he'll shoot whichever one who he can see who has the best angle on shooting him and his men.

If someone attacks close combatwise, he releases his right hand grip on the X-45 (holding on to it still with his left) and shoots them with the Kylan.

If soemone attacks/heads at him with a gaderfii or equivalent, they get a rapier int he gut. (As Ven has both, (as I recall,) Quickdraw and Weapon Fopcus VBR, (as well as WepFin, if it matters,) with the JC rules I figure that it's a FA to draw the rapier.

In all of his actions, Ven will do whatever he cna to keep himself and his men safe, and he doesn't want to leave anything behind. Intelligent and honourable combat is his style, but if his troops are in danger, to Mustafar with honour!

Rabbiddog
3 May 2006, 03:27 PM
Dino drops to the sand with such force he almost knocks the wind out of himself "Did anyone see where it came from?" he calls out.


(OOC: Spot check 14+6)

coldskier0320
5 May 2006, 08:56 PM
Brody is trudging along in the rear of the group's loose formation, taking a sip of water when a shot rings out.

"Osik!", Brody hisses as she hits the ground. She notes with satisfaction that she'd managed not to spill any water in the maneuver. Quickly she spins the cap shut and shoves the jug back into her pack. Then Brody takes stock of the situation: unidentified sniper, bearing, anywhere from negative sixty to sixty. As Lt. Jace scurries up to the front of the unit, Brody unfolds the stout bipod on her repeater and checks the power feed cable, making sure she's ready to go.

After this she moves to a slightly higher point on the dune, careful to stay below the sniper's angle of attack, but keeping most of the unit out of her primary fire lanes.

Spot: 13 (roll) + 1 (Wis) = 14

also

Knowledge (Tactics) 12 (roll) + 13 (mod) = 25
[This is to determine Brody's best vantage point, where she can keep the baddies in her front quadrant, and keep most of her friendlies clear of her fire lanes.]

Uron Teff
13 May 2006, 08:29 AM
Taran view moves from boulder and rocks to dunes. Still no sign of this sniper. A sudden movement at the lower left corner of his enhanced but limited vision makes Taran blink twice. Moving his vision upon a large boulder he waits for more movement of the would-be sniper. Noone is that stupid. He's not moving while we're searching for hi... he is moving. What a du'kar'nor.
Clearly visible to Taran a scope and a rifle were raised above the rock blocking his view on the face of the "assassin".

[Taran] Clear shot on enemy target. North-West 3.4, 35m, Wind 1.2 m/s. Taking target down, now.

Taran focuses the scope of the sniper with the cross-hair of the Herloss HBt-4 and adds the wind and movement projection of the CT-3/&alpha; to his shot calculations.
Gotcha!

--------------------------
Taran: 1d20+14=33 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=450844)
Critical Confirmation: 1d20+14=18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=450850)
Damage: 3d6+6=14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=450853)

PsychoInfiltrator
14 May 2006, 04:51 AM
Clear shot on enemy target. North-West 3.4, 35m, Wind 1.2 m/s. Taking target down, now.


Ven, to his chagrin, had barely managed to note that the sniper was NW of him when Taran got off his shot. He's pretty good with that thing.

Ven thoguht he saw the now-evident sniper collapse, but he continued to assemble his X-45. (Second round. Next round he can shoot it at somebody, if necessary.)

EDIT: Sp.

Rabbiddog
15 May 2006, 08:38 AM
Dino lowcrawls to a better postition. "Looks like the shot came from the NW, I am also seeing something movin around to the west of us." he calls out.

PsychoInfiltrator
16 May 2006, 01:53 PM
Hearing Dino's call, Ven shifts his attention westward.

(Spot Check.)

johnnyputrid
17 May 2006, 01:50 PM
Burn's photoreceptors catch the movement of the sniper off to the northwest, but interferance from the double dose of stellar radiation produced by Tatooine's twin suns does little to improve his detection abilities. He barely manages to tune out the intense frequencies as it is, and is somewhat surprised his photoreceptors haven't completely burned out yet.

What appears to be ghost images to the east and west filter through his sensor suite, but the droid cannot distinguish any clear details. He remains in position, keeping his carbine trained to the northwest, but doesn't expect the short range weapon will be as useful, compared to the rifles of the squad's marksmen.

coldskier0320
17 May 2006, 02:10 PM
Brody scrambles to the top of a nearby rise, unfolding the bipod of her heavy repeater as she goes. Diving to the sand at the top, she hears Dino's warning, and swings around to cover that direction, grateful for her camo armor's protection, repeater hot and ready...

[OOC: Hide check and spot check.]

Mack Jace
17 May 2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Uron Teff
Taran view moves from boulder and rocks to dunes. Still no sign of this sniper. A sudden movement at the lower left corner of his enhanced but limited vision makes Taran blink twice. Moving his vision upon a large boulder he waits for more movement of the would-be sniper. Noone is that stupid. He's not moving while we're searching for hi... he is moving. What a du'kar'nor.
Clearly visible to Taran a scope and a rifle were raised above the rock blocking his view on the face of the "assassin".

[Taran] Clear shot on enemy target. North-West 3.4, 35m, Wind 1.2 m/s. Taking target down, now.

Taran focuses the scope of the sniper with the cross-hair of the Herloss HBt-4 and adds the wind and movement projection of the CT-3/&alpha; to his shot calculations.
Gotcha!

Apparently the sniper is more stupid than Taran thought, for as he appeared over the top of the boulder, Taran squeezed the trigger, and suddenly, the sniper was lying flat on his back, with flecks of plasteel and metal lying around him from the shot going right through his scope...ouch.:D Taran looks back to Lt. Jace and says, "Target down, sir."


Dino lowcrawls to a better postition. "Looks like the shot came from the NW, I am also seeing something movin around to the west of us." he calls out.
Burn's photoreceptors catch the movement of the sniper off to the northwest, but interferance from the double dose of stellar radiation produced by Tatooine's twin suns does little to improve his detection abilities. He barely manages to tune out the intense frequencies as it is, and is somewhat surprised his photoreceptors haven't completely burned out yet.

What appears to be ghost images to the east and west filter through his sensor suite, but the droid cannot distinguish any clear details. He remains in position, keeping his carbine trained to the northwest, but doesn't expect the short range weapon will be as useful, compared to the rifles of the squad's marksmen.
Brody scrambles to the top of a nearby rise, unfolding the bipod of her heavy repeater as she goes. Diving to the sand at the top, she hears Dino's warning, and swings around to cover that direction, grateful for her camo armor's protection, repeater hot and ready...

[OOC: Hide check and spot check.]

Dino can see something out there, but anyone who looks for anything can hardly see anything. Suddenly, Vindie Sel, the platoon's radioman, calls out, "Sir, I'm getting something from Tower 7! It seems they're in some sort of--" BOOOOM! Everyone whirls around to face Tower 7, which is now a heaping pile of rubble and smoke. It looks like it was hit with some sort of military-grade rocket launcher. It looks unlikely that anyone is still alive. Once more, Vin shouts, "Sir! I'm getting a report of major enemy movement toward Tower 5! They're in need of assistance!" Jace looks back to the platoon, looking almost eager for combat after being eld in reserve for a while, even though they came here for a break. Jace shouts out to the platoon, "Okay everybody, let's double-time it to Tower 5!"

By the time the platoon gets to the tower, the guards there are already getting ready for the massive assault that is about to take place. Jace rushes up to the commanding officer there, Cpl. Janade. "Oh thank the Force!, says Janade, "We thought that no one would be able to answer our call. Are your boys able to help us prepare, sir?" Jace looks around at what they have set up: a single, broken-down airspeeder with a blaster cannon on top, as well as some entrenchments and sand-bag bunkers, set up facing the direction of the attack. He says to the cpl., "Sure thing, whatever you need them to do." Janade heaves a sigh of relief and says, "Whatever can be done is good now sir, if they can think of anything that will help us out, that'd be great." Jace hustles back over to the platoon. "Okay, the corporal here says that if you guys can think of anything that can be done to prepare this place for the assault, you'd help out greatly. Meanwhile, I'm gona do my best to get some rinforcements here ASAP." He runs off with Vin to get those reinforcements.

----------------------------------------------
OOC: Okay, whatever you guys can think of, let me know, and I'll tell you what kind of rolls need to be made. I'll let you know when you don't have enough time left.

PsychoInfiltrator
17 May 2006, 04:30 PM
Ven: "We might wish to hide the snipers in fox hoels on sand dunes, or whatnot, so that we/they can be used to our/their full advantage." Ven cradles his X-45, but his vibrorapier can be clearly seen.

"We should also, if possible, send out a sortie to get behind the enemy and harass their rear. Preferrably with some high explosives. And we ought not to concentrate in the tower-unless that thing has shields, it's a sitting duck for any high-powered rocket-propelled grenade."

(Know: Tactics check to discern other possible strategies.)

coldskier0320
17 May 2006, 04:52 PM
Brody glances around the area from behind her sunglasses, standing in her tan camo armor and cradling her heavy repeater. In the bustle of actuvity, she presents an aura of calm, but finally lapses back into reality.


"We might wish to hide the snipers in fox hoels on sand dunes, or whatnot, so that we/they can be used to our/their full advantage."

"Negative", Brody shakes her head, "They'll have snipers too. And any of our sipers who take two shots from the same location are dead men. They'll need to be moving, constantly. The foxholes, however, would be a great idea for any indirect-fire weapons we may have."

"How 'bout it, boys", she asks the tower's contingent, "Got any mortars or grenade launchers? Dig 'em in."

With that, she searches any non-combat crew of the tower, especially their communications specialist. Finding him or her, she says, "Come with me." And leads them to the top of the tower, where she sets up behind a sandbag fortification on the permacrete roof. From here, she enjoys a limitless fire arc, in addition to an excellent view of the battlefield. And while she'll be a hot target for advancing forces, she can also duck back into the tower in a matter of seconds. She yanks the comm officer down beside her.

"See this? It's a power stack. If this indicator here goes into the red, you make sure I know about it. Got that? Oh, and be prepared to relay anything I tell you to Lieutenant Jace. You and I are gonna be primary spotters until we have to abandon this post. And when I say leave, I meant it. Get out of here, and fast. We'll meet...oh...I'll tell you later...that depends on the attack. Hell, we might not even have to worry about that!"

With that, Brody grimly scans the horizon, trying to find the coming threat...

[OOC: Spot]

PsychoInfiltrator
17 May 2006, 05:27 PM
"Negative", Brody shakes her head, "They'll have snipers too. And any of our sipers who take two shots from the same location are dead men. They'll need to be moving, constantly. The foxholes, however, would be a great idea for any indirect-fire weapons we may have."

"Moo-ving didn't do to much good for the one Taran the Sniper bagged, but OK, I'll bow to your ev-vident ex-pertisse."

Ven scans the horizon.

OOC: Spot check. (as I don't think a Know: Tactics takes a full round, and if it does, I tihnk we have mroe than one.

Vice Man
17 May 2006, 11:11 PM
Savin Looks at the speeder and shakes his head "That is way to exposed..." he stops mid sentence and thinks about. He then GEts out his tool Kit and turns and looks around for anyone standing Idle " You, You And You, You are now with me," He points to the speeder, " We need to make that a more secure position, And you will help me" With that he leads them over to the land speeder with as many sand bags and shovels. "Ok, here is what we need to do..."

Depending On how much time they have, Savin Will basically do this.
Unbolt the Blaster canon from the speeder and the power cable going to the power supply, He will tehn flip the land speeder on its side, Under carriage Facing Him, Reconect the power Supply to the Blaster Canon, Then Use the Blaster canons exsisting turrent mount and bolt the turret mount to any place on the frame that seems doable. Meanwhile the Three guys will pile sandbags in front of the landspeeder (topside facing the enemy) as well as in the seat where people would sit. while another one is digging a pit directly in fonrt of the l;and speeder putting sand on top of the sand bags when the stake is high enough and the others have moved to another section. If there is still time, he will then Take the repulsors off the underside of the speeder and mount them facing toward the enemy and rig a control that he can activate that will turn on the repulsors when the enemy gets close, perferably attached to a remote system. thats if he can salvage any of the repulsors and the time to do it with. The speeder/sand bags should give about 1/2 to 3/4 cover to hoever is on the blaster canon

Uron Teff
19 May 2006, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by PsychoInfiltrator
[Ven] We might wish to hide the snipers in fox hoels on sand dunes, or whatnot, so that we/they can be used to our/their full advantage.

Rolling his eyes upwards Taran shoke his head slightly. Oh boy!


Originally posted by coldskier0320
[Brody] Negative. They'll have snipers too. And any of our sipers who take two shots from the same location are dead men. They'll need to be moving, constantly. The foxholes, however, would be a great idea for any indirect-fire weapons we may have.

His eyes turned from his skyward view to look upon the heavy weapons specialist. I guess she has a half-decent knowledge of tactics and tactical movement. His view fell back upon the Togrutan Sergeant as he tried to talk himself out of the situation.


Originally posted by PsychoInfiltrator
[Ven] Moo-ving didn't do to much good for the one Taran the Sniper bagged, but OK, I'll bow to your ev-vident ex-pertisse.

Sighing unaudible Taran took out a spare power-pack and started to play around with it as his mouth opened to reply.

[Taran] You know, there are two grades of stupidness. First, the sniper who has no knowledge of the rules of sniping - like our friend there. This guy could - but in our case hasn't - survive a battle and is therefore the less studip one.
The second degree is far more dangerous. Rule 35 of sniping: Keep moving or be killed. Though our friend lacked a certain understandment of the simple "do-and-don't"s of snipingis his constant movement kept us busy for a while and we had some trouble to find him.
Therefore you idea was far du'mar than it was obvious. But you can go ahead, dig a hole and hide yourself in there, du'jo'nar.

While speaking his eyes were focused upon the power pack and he didn't even lift his view to look into the Togrutan's face.

Mack Jace
20 May 2006, 04:08 AM
Ven: "We might wish to hide the snipers in fox hoels on sand dunes, or whatnot, so that we/they can be used to our/their full advantage." Ven cradles his X-45, but his vibrorapier can be clearly seen.

"We should also, if possible, send out a sortie to get behind the enemy and harass their rear. Preferrably with some high explosives. And we ought not to concentrate in the tower-unless that thing has shields, it's a sitting duck for any high-powered rocket-propelled grenade."

(Know: Tactics check to discern other possible strategies.)

Just as Ven says this, Lt. Jace walks back over. "Negative on that one Sergeant. I've just received word that the attackers are pretty well-armed. It'd be a suicide mission. However, we can try to send a couple men out there to try to ambush them. I also just finished talking with command. They said that it's going to be tough to try to get any reinforcements out here, but they'll do their best.I'm going to see if I can pull a few squads from other patrolling platoons."


"Negative", Brody shakes her head, "They'll have snipers too. And any of our sipers who take two shots from the same location are dead men. They'll need to be moving, constantly. The foxholes, however, would be a great idea for any indirect-fire weapons we may have."

"How 'bout it, boys", she asks the tower's contingent, "Got any mortars or grenade launchers? Dig 'em in."
...
With that, Brody grimly scans the horizon, trying to find the coming threat...

[OOC: Spot]

Specialist Nader nods his head and thinks as Brody is talking. When she's done he says, "I think we might have a couple of mortars around, lemme go check." He runs into the tower, and a few minutes later, he runs back out, two mortars in hand. "It looks like there are only two in there, but no grenade launchers. I think we might be better off having the mortars behind the tower, instead of in a dune somewhere, unless there's someone here crazy enough to run up and reload it. Oh and we also have a couple of extra repeaters and rifles in there that no one is using. I'll go set these up now."


Savin Looks at the speeder and shakes his head "That is way to exposed..." he stops mid sentence and thinks about. He then GEts out his tool Kit and turns and looks around for anyone standing Idle " You, You And You, You are now with me," He points to the speeder, " We need to make that a more secure position, And you will help me" With that he leads them over to the land speeder with as many sand bags and shovels. "Ok, here is what we need to do..."

Depending On how much time they have, Savin Will basically do this.
Unbolt the Blaster canon from the speeder and the power cable going to the power supply, He will tehn flip the land speeder on its side, Under carriage Facing Him, Reconect the power Supply to the Blaster Canon, Then Use the Blaster canons exsisting turrent mount and bolt the turret mount to any place on the frame that seems doable. Meanwhile the Three guys will pile sandbags in front of the landspeeder (topside facing the enemy) as well as in the seat where people would sit. while another one is digging a pit directly in fonrt of the l;and speeder putting sand on top of the sand bags when the stake is high enough and the others have moved to another section. If there is still time, he will then Take the repulsors off the underside of the speeder and mount them facing toward the enemy and rig a control that he can activate that will turn on the repulsors when the enemy gets close, perferably attached to a remote system. thats if he can salvage any of the repulsors and the time to do it with. The speeder/sand bags should give about 1/2 to 3/4 cover to hoever is on the blaster canon

Savin and the two Private he grabbed begin work immediately. After a few minutes of working, Savin steps back to admire his work. It went just as he planned, the speeder able to mostly cover the person manning the cannon, and also has enough room to possibly fit another weapon on there.

---------------------------------------
OOC: I'll give you guys another day or so before we move on.

Vice Man
20 May 2006, 12:23 PM
Savin tips up hi hlmet jsut enough to expose his mouith and get a drink of water, then putting his helmet back into position he looks over to whoever said repeater and say "We can put on here at this position, it would give us a good base of fire" he then quickly goes and gets a repeater with a small generator and a small bag of power packs and sets it up by the blaster canon creating a good strong position. "Ok, This position is ready" he says after setting up the repeater. Savin stays at the reapeater while waiting for someone to take the blaster canon. this is going to be interesting.

Uron Teff
21 May 2006, 09:48 AM
Taran looked at the Lieutenant as he abnegated the Sergeant's comment - his so called idea. A slight smiled played around his mouth as he listened further to the squad leader.


[...] However, we can try to send a couple men out there to try to ambush them.[...]

After the Lieutenant finished his statement on the current situation Taran steped right up to him and replied to his ideas.

[Taran] Sir, I volunteer for the ambush mission, sir! Maybe we should place additional heavy material such in the abmush to flank the advancing forces with precission attacks as well as with heavy fire assistence.

Saluting with his right arm he waited for an affirmation or a denial.

johnnyputrid
23 May 2006, 05:14 PM
Though not unfamiliar with conducting an emplacement defense, Burn felt his abilities would be more useful in other areas.

"Liuetenant, I volunteer to conduct the ambush operation alongside Taran. I beleive my sensors and close quarters abilties would more more useful in this regard. One other should accompany us, as a three-being element is a standard recon formation. For example, during the Battle of M'ug'hk'aga Ridge, three Gamorrean scouts from Clan Urggh'uff turned the tide of the battle by successfully flanking Clan Orog'muh's position and decimating their fixed position emplacements by engaging in a surprise melee attack. As a result of their actions, Clan Urggh'uff was able to mount a final charge and complete their assault."

Satisfied that he had presented his case well, Burn awaited confirmation of his idea.

Mack Jace
24 May 2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by johnnyputrid
Though not unfamiliar with conducting an emplacement defense, Burn felt his abilities would be more useful in other areas.

"Liuetenant, I volunteer to conduct the ambush operation alongside Taran. I beleive my sensors and close quarters abilties would more more useful in this regard. One other should accompany us, as a three-being element is a standard recon formation. For example, during the Battle of M'ug'hk'aga Ridge, three Gamorrean scouts from Clan Urggh'uff turned the tide of the battle by successfully flanking Clan Orog'muh's position and decimating their fixed position emplacements by engaging in a surprise melee attack. As a result of their actions, Clan Urggh'uff was able to mount a final charge and complete their assault."

Satisfied that he had presented his case well, Burn awaited confirmation of his idea.

Jace looks a little puzzled by most of Burn's statement, but then gathers himself and says, "Very well, Sergeant. You can pick whoever you wish to accompany you on the mission. I think that there should also be a second group of ambushers, though that is your call. You might want to wait a while though, because we might be getting an air drop soon. I'll go--oh, speak of the devil. There's the air drop now." Jace points to the ship that is flying low from the city. As it getscloser it slows down, and eventually drops three plasteel boxes to the ground. Everyone gathers around the boxes, and upon opening, you can see lots of ordinance, including several boxes of grenades, around 10 rifles, and other things. The weapons arehanded out according to who needs them most, a.k.a. those who don't have good rifles, and those who are going on the ambushes.
-----------------------------------
OOC: The are 10 A280 Rifles, 3 of which have underbarrel grenade launchers. There are also 4 boxes of 5 grenades: 1 box of stunners, 1 box of glop, and 2 boxes of frags. There are also 3 boxes of 4 grenades for the grenade launchers. There is 1 light repeater, and 1 rocket launcher, along with 5 rockets. The rocket launcher stats can be found HERE (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?threadid=18146&perpage=1&pagenumber=99).

coldskier0320
24 May 2006, 01:05 PM
Having sighted the airdrop from the tower long before anyone on the ground, Brody had the ship neatly aligned with her sights for the entirety of its approach, even though it broadcast all the necessary passcodes. Seeing the drop was sucessful, she instructs her spotter, "I'll be back. Don't let anyone touch this setup, or I'll hold you personally responsible." Her expression implies a threat, while the slight smirk she wears belies an undercurrent of dark humor. With that, she trots down the metal staircase to the ground level and out to see what the flier brought in.

Coming to a halt some distance away from the bustle of activity, she stands beside Lt. Jace and gets a full SitRep, including the proposed ambush. Seeking out Burn, she finds him some distance away, running through a self-diagnostic program.

"Sargeant, I heard about your ambush. As an unassigned Lance Corporal, I'm free for the ambush, should you need me, though I'd just like to be placed wherever I can be best utilized. If you'd like me on, I'm here. Otherwise, I'll be the unit's eyes from the tower."

Uron Teff
24 May 2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Mack Jace
[Lieutenant Jace] Very well, Sergeant. You can pick whoever you wish to accompany you on the mission. I think that there should also be a second group of ambushers, though that is your call.

Taran's face stayed without any motion as Sergeant Burn was selected to lead the ambush comando. Though he had expressed his mixed feelings towards the droid before he tried to stay focused on the ahead lying task. Trying hard to smile he steped up to the droid and spoke up.

[Taran] I'm almost glad that you, Droi-...

He hesitated shortly before continuing.

[Taran] ... Sergeant Burn, were elected for this project. Not to think what would happen if some other du'jo'nar would try to take the lead.

After finishing the last sentence Taran's face was no more able to hide a smile behind behind an emotionless expression. Turning away from the Sergeant his eyes scan the horizon - not because he was either ancious or afraid of the upcoming fight but to hide his emotion. Surely he far from feeling comfortable with a droid above him in the chain of command but considering the other posibility he was somehow... glad.
With his eyes still turned away from Sergeant Burn and Lance Corporal Brody Ness he tried to concentrate his thoughts upon the possible strenght of the enemy force and burried his confusion deep inside him.

[Taran] Sir, any order for me for the upcoming task?

PsychoInfiltrator
25 May 2006, 03:02 PM
I think that there should also be a second group of ambushers, though that is your call.

"I'll lead/be the other 'group.' I'll spit as many as necesary on my blade.

Ven, uncharacteristically, takes off his treasured cape, noting that it won't be of use to him for the ambush.


I'm almost glad that you, Droi-...Sergeant Burn, were elected for this project. Not to think what would happen if some other du'jo'nar would try to take the lead.

"He's learning. Unfortunately, I think I've just been called unfit for command. Ah, such is the life of the sergeant. To be hated by all...respected by few...and hopefully paid by somebody. Hopefully."

Stormrider
26 May 2006, 06:35 AM
During the frenzy of activity in the Tower. Lai had begun assembling whatever medical supplies he could find. The others were more combat capable..so he left them to the defense of the tower...his job was to keep the unit alive and healthy. And he checked the charge on his Firelance...It would likely wind up getting used before the day was through.


Lieutenant. Where would you like me to station myself?





OOC. (What kind of medical supplies has Lai found? I'm assuming the tower is decently stocked)

Vice Man
29 May 2006, 01:48 PM
Savin stands for a bit then looking at their various positions he decides that making them better would help everyone, so working with the various troopers that are in the entrenchments and the sandbag bunkers, and helps them reinforce those positions with anything they can find, from sandbags to used plasteel containers and various bits of debri from wherever they can find it. The sandbag bunkers are covered in the front with ferocrete and other debri then a sand colored tarp then covered with sand, making more difficult to spot. The entrenchments get built up a bit more with sandbags and taken apart Plasteel containers and other bits and peeices that can be found as well. in the end looking somewhat like the battlements on top of old castle walls. these where also covered in sand letting it blend in with the suroundings and also making the bad guys think that its nothing but mounds of sand, at least thats the idea.

Rabbiddog
31 May 2006, 08:33 AM
Dino jacks into the towers computer systems to see ih he can bring up any kind of defensives systems.



OOC: Comp Use Check 11 + 13 comp use + 7 Profession = 31

Ravnor
1 June 2006, 07:20 AM
A dark figure watches him for the shadows, intrigued at his idea.

Uron Teff
1 June 2006, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Ravnor
A dark figure watches him for the shadows, intrigued at his idea.

Welcome to the HoloNet, Ravnor.
It seems that you want to join the New Republic Marines. But this is not the way you should and could do it. For information look at this thread HERE (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14240).

Ravnor
1 June 2006, 07:46 AM
Thank you for your advice.
(Ravnor leaves)

Uron Teff
3 June 2006, 11:08 AM
Taran stood close to the droid who used to call himself Burn and Lieutenant Jace and awaited special orders for the upcoming ambush as the other Sergeant drew the attention on himself.


[Ven] I'll lead/be the other 'group.' I'll spit as many as necesary on my blade.

Turning his back to the Sergeant Taran rolled his eyes as the leader of the second squad finished his statement. "I'll spit as many as necessary on my blade." Oh boy. I wonder who made this du'kar'nor a Sergeant. Taran thought while viewing the sandy plains of Tatooine. Turning back to face the three superior ranking soldiers Taran awaited the command of Sergeant Burn.

johnnyputrid
5 June 2006, 08:09 PM
Leaving the others to prepare defenses, Burn gathers Taran and Brody to his side. Though he doubted any of them needed guidance on how to conduct a successful ambush, he felt compelled to share some of his accumulated wisdom with his team.

"Since we are dealing with snipers, who typically remain in fixed positions, I suggest we conduct flanking manuevers to take away their long range advantage. If we move far enough away from the planet's twin stars, we should be able to place ourselves in a position where their rays will shield us from approach. This tactic was utilized successfully during the 2nd Battle of M'Donoto during the Nikto Unification Wars which took place approximately 100 years prior to their enslavement to the Hutt Empire.

In this battle, a small contingent of Nikto mauraders used their star's blinding light to conceal them as they crawled to the target location, specifically, the enemy field commander's tactical command post. The field commander had deployed Nikto with long-range weapons to guard his perimeter. Though the enemy snipers had the advantage of superior range and firepower, their weapon scopes were rendered useless in the light of the planet's sun. The victorious force simply stormed the sniper emplacements, setting up an opening for their advancing forces.

While it is unlikely we will deploy an advancing force, we can use a similar tactic to eliminate the sniper threat. However, my tactical module predicts an 8% chance of failure when utilizing this tactic. If you have any suggestions or improvements to add to my base plan, I will endeavor to conduct a detailed analysis. Though from past experience, I have noticed that quick assaults are generally more successful, even if slightly more prone to failure. No doubt your organic intuition may also provide greater tactical advantage to our situation."

Conscious of the fact that he had probably uttered his longest ever continual speech, Burn decided to end his rant with a motivational phrase to inspire his team. He had little experience with leadership activities, despite being programmed for combat teamwork. He searched his quote database, and picked a phrase once spoken by the infamous General Ala-kham of Morgius Prime prior to his eventual victory over the Sqillau Bandits of Reti VI.

"I am proud to lead you into the fires of Hell. May our enemies taste bitter defeat, and may their entrails hang from our spears for all who oppose us to see!"

Pondering his choice of quote for a few nanseconds, Burn quickly realized that perhaps this was poor choice on his part.

Mack Jace
6 June 2006, 04:19 AM
I'll lead/be the other 'group.' I'll spit as many as necesary on my blade.

Jace pulls Ven aside when he is finished with Burn. In a low voice he says, "Listen, I know that you want to go...hunting, I guess, but it seems that Burn has it under control and that he doesn't need an extra ambush group. That means that you're going to stay here and help organize these troops during battle, okay? I can't do it on my own." Letting him think about what he wouls need to do, Jace begins to walk away.


Lieutenant. Where would you like me to station myself?
"Well, I think wherever you would be most effective would be the best place. It's up to you to decide where that is. If you want, you can set up shop inside the tower, but again-that's up to you."

OOC: 20x Medpacks, and pretty much whatever else you need. I don't have my A&EG with me, otherwise I'd specify.

Jace walks around the tower, and sees Savin at work. "Good work Savin, that'll mess up the enemy. Keep it up."

While Jace is inspecting the goings on around the tower, Dino is busy inside. Looking through all sorts of system folders, he can't find anything that has to do with tower defense.

Jace climbs up to the top of the tower with a pair of electro-binocs. Scanning the horizon, he notices that the approaching force has both gotten bigger, because they're closer, and has also split up into multiple attacking forces. Climbing back down the tower, he finds Burn with the other two members of his attacking force. "Sergeant, I think it might be wise for you to start your ambush ASAP. The OpFor have been getting closer by the minute, and I think now would be the optimal time. Gather as many weapons as possible, and may the Force be with you."

Uron Teff
6 June 2006, 06:32 AM
Taran stood quietly besides the droid sergeant and listend this his exessive explanations of how to beat the advancing enemy forces.


[Burn] Since we are dealing with snipers, who typically remain in fixed positions, I suggest we conduct flanking manuevers to take away their long range advantage. If we move far enough away from the planet's twin stars, we should be able to place ourselves in a position where their rays will shield us from approach.

Slightly shaking his head as the Sergeant continued his detailed information upon batles fought long ago. As the Sergeant finished eventually Taran steped nearer and started to comment the prior.

[Taran] Although I have to appreciate your explanations and knowledge according the tactical warfare I ave to disagree with you in one point. The 35 rule of sniping is: Keep moving or be killed. We've seen the first sniper disobeying this rule entirely as he stayed on the spot, but we cannot aspect that the approaching forces and their snipers - if there are any - will follow the same procedure as the dead one.

Turning his head towards the two burning suns of Tatooine Taran moved on.

[Taran] Although I have to admit that I like your idea of using the sun as cover. Couldn't have a better one. Although I have to say that we should part our force at least with more than 10m between us. We don't know what heavy armament the enemy has got.

After that Taran turned to searched the group of soldiers for his "favorite" Sergeant and found him standing next to Lieutenant Jace. I wonder what he's telling this duk'jo'nar. Must be something important. He grinned slightly as the two suns unstopable power burned down on the whole group of soldiers.

PsychoInfiltrator
6 June 2006, 02:54 PM
Jace pulls Ven aside when he is finished with Burn. In a low voice he says, "Listen, I know that you want to go...hunting, I guess, but it seems that Burn has it under control and that he doesn't need an extra ambush group. That means that you're going to stay here and help organize these troops during battle, okay? I can't do it on my own."


After that Taran turned to searched the group of soldiers for his "favorite" Sergeant and found him standing next to Lieutenant Jace. I wonder what he's telling this duk'jo'nar. Must be something important. He grinned slightly as the two suns unstopable power burned down on the whole group of soldiers.

Ven, initially irritated will Jace's remarks, I don't need any more of thme to think me incompetent, though I'm sure our blaster fanatic will show me new ways to be disrespectful-

Ven's thoughts, and Jace's speech tailed off as Ven glanced off to his left, and noticed Taran just out of hearing range. His response to Jace was quick, and projected a bit better than the Lieutenant's...and it helped that Ven was turning away from the Lt. and towards Taran-he'd be able to hear it, all right.

"Yes, sir. I understand your need for some veterans to remain here."

Ven muttered sulkily as he walked away, and past Taran. Some of his words were probably said colse enoguh to Taran for him to hear them, but Ven didn't care. That was exactly the point.

"{mumbling, mild huttese and Togrutan curse words)...if that Lt can't command his men, he shouldn't be one...{mumble, mild Togrutan curse}...they should've promoted someone more versed in l;eadership...like a Gonk droid...{mumble}...he shouldn't need me here to do his job...{bitten off Togrutan curse}" Ven got within hearing range of the main group, and ceased speaking.

To pass the time, he drew his gleamign vibrorapier fromt he scabbard, and a rag from a hidden pocket, and spit-shined it for a bit.

Vice Man
8 June 2006, 11:09 AM
Jace walks around the tower, and sees Savin at work. "Good work Savin, that'll mess up the enemy. Keep it up."

Savin looks up briefly, nods at the commander, then looks down again directing improvements to the entrenchments and sand bag bunkers. He honestly did not know what more he could do to reinforce these defensive works. As it was his current round of defensive enhancements was almost complete. He wondered if this was a suicide mission.

Savin streached his body, getting the kinks out of his body that had formed while working on the emplacements. Specialist Nader had set up one repeater in each of the end sand bag bunkers, now reinforced and disguised by Savin, which will anchor the lines pretty well. Then the over turned broken down Air Car covered and concealed, with a blaster canon and another repeater was at the position, which happened to be more or less in the center of the line. Then entrenchments where now more concealed, and had more defense with it being built up and concealed to some degree, giving soldiers there more protection.

He then walks over to where the motars are being set up, over by the enterance of the tower, and directs them to set up the motars in a slight depression by the stairway. Using a partially broken down wall that ran around the depression, and stoped short of the tower itself, which was a good enterance way to make this a good backup position. So of course the sand bags go over the wall, on both sides of the tower, chunks of ferecrete on top of that, then a sand colored tarp and then sand on top of that. With help of the troopers standing aorund it is done relitively quickly. And they now had protected motar positions as well as fall back positions. Not the most ideal position but with the walls and sand bags and stuff, it should be resilient to attacks. Hopefully this would help. He wonders back over to the emplacements to make sure everything was done.

Rabbiddog
11 June 2006, 07:56 AM
Having no luck finding any tower defense systems, Dino will do whatever he can to help out, checking over equipment, supplies, amything that his talents as a Tech Specialist can use.

Mack Jace
4 July 2006, 06:50 AM
OOC: I don't think jp's gonna be able to post soon, and I'd rather not wait any longer.

IC:

Jace climbs up to the top of the tower with a pair of electro-binocs. Scanning the horizon, he notices that the approaching force has both gotten bigger, because they're closer, and has also split up into multiple attacking forces. Climbing back down the tower, he finds Burn with the other two members of his attacking force. "Sergeant, I think it might be wise for you to start your ambush ASAP. The OpFor have been getting closer by the minute, and I think now would be the optimal time. Gather as many weapons as possible, and may the Force be with you."
20 standard minutes later, Burn, along with Taran and Brody, is crawling along a sand dune, the blazing twin suns of Tatooine hovering above them. Slithering to the top of the dune so that he can just see over it, Burn focuses his photoreceptors on the enemy force passing the dune. This was the smaller of the two taks forces, consisting of only 10 riflemen, 1 comm operator, and 1 man with a heavy repeater. Burn signals this to the other two members of the ambush team. Taran takes out a pair of electrobinocs, and focuses on the location of the other task force. They were nearing the small fort, but they were far enough away that they wouldn't be able to hear any blaster fire. Giving Burn a thumbs up, Taran moves into position to take a shot.

OOC: Uron, you can take the first shot if you wish. Everyone is within range.

Back at the fort, Jace is once again looking through his binocs. The approaching force is now within range. Hurrying back down the ladder, he gathers everyone around him. "Okay, listen up. The enemy is approaching, and they are just about in range. They have about thirty-five riflemen, and three or four grenadiers armed with rocket launchers. Now, everyone is gonna take up positions where they can best attack. Mott, I need you and your cannon near the front wherever you can find room. I need someone else to man the repeater we have set up. Zaineb, I need you to man those mortars. Alright, everybody else, get moving." Everyone scrambles around to get to their positions. In minutes, everyone is ready, and Bezor is manning the mortars. Jace is once again on top of the tower, looking through his binocs. Getting the signal from Jace, Bezor fires the mortars. The rounds scream through the air, and land amongst the enemy, killing a total of five men. Then everyone else opens up.

OOC: I need some Initiative rolls, then you can post your actions.

Rabbiddog
5 July 2006, 08:04 AM
Dino takes up a position he feels he can do the best.

((OOC: Initiative: 12 +3 =15. Although since my character only has blaster pistol proficiency he will hold his action until the enemy are within range of him (12m) ))

PsychoInfiltrator
8 July 2006, 09:11 AM
Ven waits behind the sandbag barrier. He cradles his X-45 in his arms. The suitcase for it is beside him. His shining vibrorapier waited his his sheath. His prepped Kylan wiated in its sheath.

Ven waitedi n the hot sun.

OOC: Readied action to fire on first attacker. Once the attackers are close (20 m ish) He'll put down the X-45 and pull out the Kylan.

Init: 5+roll=7. :(

Vice Man
8 July 2006, 12:04 PM
Savin Positions himself behind the overturned speeder with the blaster canon and the light repeater attached to it.

((OCC: Iniative Roll 1d20+3= 13. Savin lays into the grenadiers first if he has a line of sight on them, otherwise he will cut his way through the enemy to the grenadiers. Firing on full Auto. ))

Uron Teff
9 July 2006, 04:40 AM
With the sand flying up from a small gust from the north Taran flinched slightly. With his view moving over the enemy lines he clearly could evaluate that the heavy repeating blaster would be the most dangerous weapon to the small New Republic task force. After a short look around he checked the wind speed and the distance to the heavy repeatig operator and his movement speed.
The view through his scope focused on the head of the enemy soldier. Not aware of the threat, aren't you? Taran thought silently. His right finger squeezed the trigger and a shot of deadly energy passed the landscape between the prey and the hunter.

coldskier0320
10 July 2006, 02:23 PM
As Taran got himself situated, Brody did the same, circling around the rear of the enemy formation, to get a very different angle on the group. Identifying the heavy weapons and grenadiers as the most dangerous to the tower, she decides to target them first. As she unfolds and plants the tripod legs of her heavy blaster, she checks the readings on her generator pack.

Excellent, everything looking good...

Just as she establishes a safe fire lane, she sees a glint of reflection from Taran's position.

Good, she thinks, if I can see the glare over here, it means they can't down there...