PDA

View Full Version : what I hate

Bob Boop
19 January 2006, 04:09 AM
Do you know what I really hate? I hate when people just type their posts and don't check to see if they make any mistakes. I was reading a post the other day and it was really interesting and then I read this word: tyr. It totally messed my consentration up, I could not focous on anything until I figured out what that wor was, I was SO frustrated. I could not figure out what word it was, there were at least five different words that it could be by using the context that it was in and four of those would fit the spelling if he only made one mistake. I had to write them all down and go through an use elimination and figure out which word it was and it turned out to be try. All I can say is that I REALLY HATE THAT.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(sigh) now I feel better

Xain Arke
19 January 2006, 04:36 AM
then I read this word: tyr. It totally messed my consentration up, I could not focous on anything until I figured out what that wor was

oh the irony :D :D

Xain

Stormrider02
19 January 2006, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Bob Boop
Do you know what I really hate? I hate when people just type their posts and don't check to see if they make any mistakes. I was reading a post the other day and it was really interesting and then I read this word: tyr. It totally messed my consentration up, I could not focous on anything until I figured out what that consentration was, I was SO frustrated. I could not figure out what word it was, there were at least five different words that it could be by using the context that it was in and four of those would fit the spelling if he only made one mistake. I had to write them all down and go through an use elimination and figure out which word it was and it turned out to be try. All I can say is that I REALLY HATE THAT.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(sigh) now I feel better

"Decides to play evil Storm today"

Before griping about other peoples spelling..please check your own. :D

"counts consentration, focous , consentration, and this..., I could not focous on anything until I figured out what that consentration was"

This has been your daily broadcast of the smart-alec news.

Darth Fierce
19 January 2006, 05:08 AM
Truth be told, I don't notice many misspellings around here unless they're blatantly obvious.

You must understand that not everyone who posts on the Holonet learned English as their first spoken and written language. Therefore, it's perfectly understandable if they don't spell a word correctly every time.

And even the folks who have been raised with English as their first language make a mistake every now and then. Some folks have problems deciding which of different homonyms should be used. For example, I often make the mistake of using the word "it's" when I should have used the word "its." If I notice my mistake later, I go back and change it.

Additionally, occasionally people are simply in a hurry and typing so quickly that they don't notice their typos. It's a very forgiveable error.

In any case, the truth of the matter is this...the value of a post should not be measured by how accurate it is spelling-wise and grammatically, but rather, by the message behind the post.

Darth Fierce :vader:

Uron Teff
19 January 2006, 05:14 AM
You must understand that not everyone who posts on the Holonet learned English as their first spoken and written language. Therefore, it's perfectly understandable if they don't spell a word correctly every time.

Well said Darth Fierce.
Nonetheless I think few misspelled words don't ruin the fun in reading post/stories or post.
Just me. :)

gmjabreson
19 January 2006, 06:24 AM
Even us americans have mainly bad English skills, it has been proven that some foreigners speak English better than we do. I know that I'm not perfect and I don't claim to be. I've mispelled some words before, and sometimes I type faster than my mind thinks and get ahead of myself.

To admit error, is to be human after all.

Xain Arke
19 January 2006, 08:03 AM
Even us americans have mainly bad English skills, it has been proven that some foreigners speak English better than we do.

foreigners like..hmm, the English perhaps? ;) :D

we should perhaps give Bob a break though, after all this is the rant and rave forum, I just thought the irony of his first post was very funny and couldn't resist commenting :)

Xain

gmjabreson
19 January 2006, 08:05 AM
Japanese beat americans in English, the top proper English speaking Countries: Japan, China, and Germany, their students and other students from around the world entered a competition on English, Those three were the top three, back in 2002, I don't know about any results of later tests.

Darth Fierce
19 January 2006, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Xain Arke

foreigners like..hmm, the English perhaps? ;) :D

we should perhaps give Bob a break though, after all this is the rant and rave forum, I just thought the irony of his first post was very funny and couldn't resist commenting :)

Xain

Oh, I mean no disrespect to Bob. I was just pointing out the fact that there are many factors that could affect the spelling in someone's posts on the forums.

I don't believe anyone intentionally misspells the words on the forums unless he/she is trying to make a joke with the error.

Darth Fierce :vader:

Bob Boop
19 January 2006, 10:30 PM
Ya I know people make mistakes sometimes but I was just really annoyed and I was not in that good of a mood when I read that thread and I just needed to say something about it to someone so I posted it and even if it does not change anything I still feel better.

Santa Claws
20 January 2006, 12:11 AM
So, if the pleps want to learn an better english, they must learn it from the only really source of good english.
Take copies of the old MONTY PYTHON FLYING CIRCUS TVshows, films and the magnifiquet, impressing, wunderbar, nie zu verstehen,
"LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL"

More to say?
A N S C D

And now something completly diffrent......

Ubiqtorate
23 January 2006, 07:34 PM
I appreciated the irony, Xain.

I was once in a chatroom where a guy thought I was a foreigner because I wrote too well to be an American. Heaven forbid people should use proper capitalization and punctuation. Not to mention spelling.

stoic_75
29 January 2006, 07:56 PM
I know you could not be referring to me. I am a genius, and geniuses never make misteaks.

Originally posted by Bob Boop
Ya I know people make mistakes sometimes but I was just really annoyed and I was not in that good of a mood when I read that thread and I just needed to say something about it to someone so I posted it and even if it does not change anything I still feel better.