PDA

View Full Version : Legacy, or: Seems We Need a New Era in This Forum Section

MikeLynch
2 February 2006, 08:04 AM
In case you haven't seen it yet, Randy "Kiss My A$$, Continuity" Stradley and some of his more respectable cohorts at Dark Horse have announced the SW Legacy comic series, set something like 130 years after ANH.

See http://www.TheForce.net for details.

Reactions? Exclamations? Excoriations? Baseless speculation?

Personally, I think (1) the sexy Twi'lek angle is pretty tired, but not at all surprising, (2) the edgy-ex-Jedi angle is pretty tired, but not at all surprising, and (3) the hero just doesn't LOOK particularly appealing. I do like the name, though: Cade Skywalker.

Jonas Malcume
2 February 2006, 08:47 AM
I wonder who/what is the "Bad Guy"/deadly enemy now? It almost seems like they're grasping at straws here. It interests me, definitly(hey, I'm a die hard Star Wars Addict and will be 'til the day I die), so I'll have to read it before I pass judgement on it.
:xwing:

darkforcerising
2 February 2006, 09:00 AM
Truth told, I have never thought the Dark Horse comics up to par with the rest of the SW published material. I'll refrain from judgement until I read it though, after all, tired and unsuprising elements can sometimes come together pretty well.

Thinithil
2 February 2006, 10:12 AM
The whole anti-hero thing is pretty common these days but being very nearly the norm in most forms of media is in danger of becoming cliched. My first reaction was to groan at the tired idea and villain right off the cover of an Image brand comic book.

I don't need that much angst in a Star Wars book. A peripheral character perhaps but the main guy - and a skywalker? I guess I might buy the first issue just to see but I'll probably end up shaking my head and breezing through it pretty quickly.

Darthspectre84
24 May 2006, 10:42 AM
Not sure what to think of this. I am a bit put off because of what happened to the Skywalker line but will remain and see what happens on this.

And I wonder about the bad guys....I mean we have seen the galaxy fight endless automaton armies, extragalactic alien invaders, ancient bug people, imperialistic government that takes over the reigns of a democracy, force using bad guys, shadowy crime syndicates, xenophobic reptiles...whats next?

Ardent
24 May 2006, 01:48 PM
I seriously doubt this era will become popular enough to warrant its own epoch, MikeLynch. It's too similar to many of the Infinities ideas crawling around out there; many of which are terribly unpopular with even lax purists. I look at Legacy as Infinities; which it's not clear it will be, but I'm guessing that's a likelihood.

130 years may seem like a long time, but with Star Wars lifespans that's only 3-4 generations (if you count the RotE/Rebellion era as two generations and the NR/GA era as a generation). Those sort of changes seem unlikely over that short a span of years without something a bit further back being knocked off-kilter. Jacen being killed, for instance.

boccelounge
24 May 2006, 03:01 PM
I've just recently gotten back into collecting Dark Horse SW comics, after a long absence, so I'm pretty enthusiastic about the newer titles (Rebellion, KotOR, Rogue Leader)...

I'm also a fan of Duursema and Ostrander...

But from what I've seen this new title looks nothing short of JAW-DROPPINGLY BAD.

"WTF??" doesn't do it justice.

Move over "Kyp Durron"... I might have to make room for a new "most PoS SW character in the Galaxy".... ;)

IzVenjari
24 May 2006, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Darthspectre84
And I wonder about the bad guys....I mean we have seen the galaxy fight endless automaton armies, extragalactic alien invaders, ancient bug people, imperialistic government that takes over the reigns of a democracy, force using bad guys, shadowy crime syndicates, xenophobic reptiles...whats next?

Well we haven't had force-using, xenophobic, extra-galactic, bug-like alien invaders yet. Maybe that's in the cards:)

wolverine
24 May 2006, 11:47 PM
I thnk i know whom the new enemy will be/...

Force using LAWYERS:P :P :P

Reed
15 June 2006, 08:18 PM
I must say I am skeptical of this new series. Though I have the first few clone wars graphic novels and they are quite good so I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt. Can't say the whole anti-hero thing is that appealing. Having another Skywalker is fine but I feel that a Skywalker character belongs on the Jedi Council as a more Yodaish or Winduish figure. What about the Solos? I mean, there are a lot more of them in the books then there are Skywalkers at this point. Seems likely that a Jedi character with the Solo name should be somewhere in there. But who knows, maybe there will be.

End Rant