PDA

View Full Version : Civillian Transport Groups

Stratus Tel'narus
16 February 2006, 07:52 PM
So I'm running my game the other day and my pcs want to form a transport group (transporting goods and the like, but legally, such as the Xizor Transport Systems compay) and I'm wondering, what sort of competition would they have? What other organizations of that nature exist during the rebellion era?

Any takers?

PsychoInfiltrator
17 February 2006, 06:01 PM
How big is the corporation?

Stratus Tel'narus
17 February 2006, 06:03 PM
Well they're just starting out, so I'm thinking in the future tense here. Any information you can give me, from small corporations to the galaxy scale ones would be appreciated.

gmjabreson
20 February 2006, 05:42 AM
i've been able to find many transport making companies throughout the galaxy, but have been unable to find any corporations that are named besides RenTrans and XTS. I know there are more of them, but with lots of things, this topic has been narrowly focused in the books. For example, you can find literally thousands of smugglers and individual freight hauling people, but can't find major shipping firms.
I've compiled a list of all the small shipwright companies that build or built cargo ships in the past or even up to the rebellion era. Sorry I haven't been able to help with the Civilian Shipping Company names, though I will be broadening my search later today. Now that I've got power from the storm that swept through lower michigan, I can check through Google and other places for such information.

Deano
4 March 2006, 12:04 AM
'Red Star Shipping' appears in the Far Orbit Project and I get the impression that they are quite large. They operate across the Galaxy from what I can work out and are indeed legit.

Deano

Ash DuQuennes
10 March 2006, 11:24 PM
Well, if continuity with the larger Star Wars EU isn't a factor, you could just make up a number of companies. Galaxy-wide firms, I'd think that there are fewer than a dozen. Regional firms, perhaps a few dozen. Sector firms, a lot. And of course, smaller outfits with anywhere from 6 to 12 ships, that might go anywhere.

Cpl_Headshot
31 March 2006, 10:09 PM
Thinking back to my X-Wing days, if your characters are trying to start a small shipping firm then they'd be running afoul of companies of the same ilk as Twin Suns Shipping as well as the Viraxo. In both cases, we're talking about small, family run regional shipping firms. Each group operates out of a few family-owned and operated space stations and service different companies that are operating in a small region; maybe only a few systems and the deep-space stations that act as way-stations between these systems. In the case of both companies, a large part of their success was through the long-term storage of commodities and bulk goods in large fields of containers out in deep space, away from normal space traffic. Your characters will want a few space stations to act as home base, perhaps refueling stations as well as some security stations that could protect those cargo containers. They'd want a small group of loyal captains under them, each with his own freighter. Looking back to on X-Wing, it's also a good idea to have some secret equipment and money stashes laying around in case things go south and you need to get the hell out of dodge in very short order.

In the case of companies like this, there are several different issues that you'll have to face. First off, competition between these sorts of companies, particularly out in the frontier worlds like in the Ison Corridor (where I assume X-Wing Alliance's family missions take place) gets personal very quickly. The Azzameens and Viraxo hated each other, and did their best to sabotage each others' operations. Another issue is piracy. In the case of a small company like we're talking about here, you don't have the resources available to be able to patroll all of your cargo containers, and you run the risk of losing a lot of property to small-time pirate gangs. We're talking about usually only one or two small ships, maybe medium haulers or something like that, but it's enough to put a significant dent in your profit. Lastly, there's the issue of backing. In the case of X-Wing Alliance, the Viraxo were trying to win over the Empire to their side in order to bully the Azzameen's out of business. Later on, the Viraxo would find a powerful ally in Black Sun as they tried to expand their shipping franchise.

Durian Keldrona
25 April 2006, 05:21 PM
open up your phone book and look up frieght shipping. you will likely see dozens with names that can be Star Warized.

Santa Fe Railroad, Union Pacific, Amtrack. all can be made into star wars regional transport companied just be changing the names.

They are publically traded companies so all the info on them is public and there fore useable for a starting point.

Alis_Morningstar
2 May 2006, 06:07 PM
Also, don't forget that with things like cargo companies, esp new and small companies, you can get a lot of Imperial intrest (the bad kind) in your little outfit.

Pel
5 May 2006, 04:51 PM
Ah, that's what bribes are for.

I did a quick search for shipping on Wookieepedia (Wiki with Wookiees) and got tons of hits. Plenty of material there if you don't feel like generating anything new.

Alis_Morningstar
18 May 2006, 07:20 PM
Unless you get a stormtrooper who is determined... cannot be bribed, blackmailed, etc... its just not natural.