PDA

View Full Version : Naboo during the Galactic Civil War

Ronin
4 March 2006, 06:46 AM
I wondered what you can all tell me/know about Naboo during this period?

As I understand it, the Gungans are fighting a guerilla war against the Imperials occupying the planet and the (Naboo) cities are pretty much fully under the Empire's control (?).

I heard that BattleFront II details some action between the 501st and the Queen of Naboo harbouring Jedi...though I'm not sure exactly what time frame that is (I don't have the game...yet ;) ).

Any info would be much appreciated :)

Uron Teff
4 March 2006, 07:02 AM
Well I got this from wookieepadia.com, there I've got no clue if this is right or wrong. But try also the Force.Net and maybe starwars.com for mor info.

Imperial period
In years to come, Naboo would generally support the positions of Chancellor and later Emperor Palpatine, including the establishment of the Galactic Empire, although doing so in a way that attempted to remind the population of the peace it had enjoyed during the days of the Republic. Many Naboo would serve in the Imperial Services, and Captain Panaka would become an aide to the Emperor, and later ascend to the rank of Moff of the Chommell Sector.

During the early years of the Imperial era, Queen Apailana remained loyal to the Empire on the surface but secretly harbored doubts about the new regime. Throughout her reign government buildings and organizations on Naboo continued to refer to the Republic, not the newly formed Empire. She secretly hid a group of Jedi who had survived Order 66, which would be her undoing, for she was caught in 12 BBY. During the isolated conflict that would later be known as the Fall of Naboo, Apailania and the Jedi survivors she harbored were killed by Darth Vader and the 501st Legion. She was replaced by Queen Kylantha, who was put on the throne as a puppet ruler.

Kylantha was not a supporter of the Old Republic, but neither was she an Imperial proponent. Kylantha refused to alter the democratic structure of the Naboo constitution, though she would reign for a much longer span of years than prior rulers (it is unknown if she became Queen for life). She is thought to have secretly and privately distrusted the Empire, but did not want a return of the Old Republic. Publicly, she maintained the status quo during the Empire's reign. She also appointed Padmť Amidala's niece, Pooja Naberrie, to the Imperial Senate. There Pooja would be a contemporary of her cousin, Princess Leia of Alderaan. Unfortunately, they would never know of each other's biological relationship.

After the Battle of Endor, when news of Palpatine's death had spread across the galaxy, Naboo saw an uprising which apparantly ended with the ousting of the local Imperial garrison by a combined force of Gungans and Naboo's Security Forces.

New Republic era and beyond
After the downfall of the Empire, Naboo ambassadors were sent to negotiate terms with the New Republic, and were among the signers of the Galactic Constitution. During the New Republic era, the Chommell Sector was represented in the New Republic Senate by Arani Korden and later by a Gungan Senator.

Marty-Wan
15 March 2006, 10:53 AM
Interesting.
Iím a huge fan of Naboo and her story but this is the first time I heard of Queen Kylantha.

Also when exactly did the Empire get tossed off of Naboo? It was my assumption that this didnít happen until after the Thrawn Crisis, 1 or 2 years perhaps. Am I wrong?

Iíve been working on a Naboo timeline (because Iíve been running games off of that planet for sometime) and this information would be so valuable to me.

Ris
29 March 2006, 06:45 PM
Ronin, I haven't seen anything from Rebellion Era, but the (young adult) SW novel A Death on Naboo by Jude Watson takes place partly on Naboo a year or 2 post Ep. 3 (my estimate, from other info in the "Last of the Jedi Series," of which this is #4).
Some of the events in this book should give you an idea of where Naboo was heading in it's attitude towards the Empire.
The villain in the series (so far) is an Inquisitor seeking info on Padme's pregnancy and death, so he can use it to advance himself at Vader's expense, so naturally he ends up on Naboo.

The planet itself is depicted much like in the movies--great natural beauty, no industry, people into art & philosophy etc. The Naboo, including government offcials and business leaders, are unfailiingly polite to Inquisitor Malorum, expressing their great desire to help him in any way possible--but they don't have that info, these datafiles aren't kept by this department, that kind of record isn't required by Naboo law, try Lord SoandSo. All the while so cooperative that even an Imp can't find a reason to arrest even one of them.
The hero of the novels, Ferus Olin, is a former Padawan who left the Jedi well before the Clone Wars, and is now trying to locate surviving Jedi & establish a sanctuary for them on a distant planetoid he's found. Obi-Wan has also asked him to keep anyone from looking into Polis Massa or Padme's death, so he follows Malorum to Naboo. In his efforts to thwart the Inquisitor's investigation, Ferus & his allies approach both Boss Nass & Apailana for aid. Both leaders still have a great deal of respect for the Jedi--& clearly do not believe the claims that Jedi murdered Padme--soa re finally persuaded to help out, once Ferus convinces them that his plans won't endanger either Naboo or Gungan civilians.
This would fit in with what Uron provides.

Ronin
30 March 2006, 06:05 AM
Cheers Ris! I read the first of the Last of the Jedi series...I'll have to keep an eye out for the rest, particularly number four! :)

Ronin
8 April 2006, 08:23 AM
I also just found out that Pooja Naberrie (cousin of Leia) is Naboo's senator during the reign of the Empire...and is also a rebel sympathiser/agent.

See Wookieepedia...