PDA

View Full Version : Starship questions

Redfinger
4 March 2006, 08:44 PM
Just a few questions about starships and using them in a game

1. Each starship has a "consumables" rating, i.e, 1 month, 2 months, ect... When a ship lands in a port and decides to resupply, what would the cost be? Air cleaning service, waste disposal, protein restock, coolant change, ect...

2. Speaking of docking at port, what do you guys charge(if anything) to players when they land at a dock. Is there a "docking fee"?

3. Targetting Systems on a ship. So if I wanted to allow my players to target specific components on a ship. i.e., a laser cannon, sheild generator, comm tower, ect. How would I encorperate that into the D20 system?

4. In the D20 system, when a ship starts taking hull damage when do you guys start having systems go down, like navigation system, life support, weapons systems, ect...?

Just a few questions that I have been thinking about lately

Red

Uron Teff
5 March 2006, 02:13 AM
4. In the D20 system, when a ship starts taking hull damage when do you guys start having systems go down, like navigation system, life support, weapons systems, ect...?

If a ship takes half it's hull points damage the first starship systems start to malfunction. The complete and precise describtion of this rule can be found on page 215 of the Revised Core Rulebook. The table (Table 11-9) for system malfunctions can be found on page 216 in the same book.

wolverine
5 March 2006, 02:22 AM
For 1 and 2.

The resupplying fee is different for every planet, and some even have variing costs, for different classifications of ships. Like a cruise liner with all those passengers would get charged differently than that bulk cargo hauler of the same size.
A good rule i go by, for smaller ships (fighters and YT size freighters) is 15 credits per day worth per person. So a 8 passenger/crew capable YT that needed 11 days worth of consumable restocking would be 15*8*11 credits. Which comes out to 15*8 = 120 * 8 for 960 credits total.

As to the docking fees, this is also dependent on the planet, but from what i remember from the novels and most adventures, they were roughly 50 credits per day for a YT 1300 size freighter, going up in size dependent on the Berth needed. EG a HT-2200 would be 150 credits, as it is huge. While a Nella 342 would be 30 credits.... NOTE THAT IS AN AVERGE!.

Uron Teff
5 March 2006, 04:43 AM
3. Targetting Systems on a ship. So if I wanted to allow my players to target specific components on a ship. i.e., a laser cannon, sheild generator, comm tower, ect. How would I encorperate that into the D20 system?

Well I guess you should consider the size of the targeted system or object. I'd use Table 11-6 in the Revised Core Rulebook to sigure out the Defense bonus granted by the size of the system. Therefore I'd say - taking a Quad-Laser as an example - its defense would be Ships Defense + 8 (for a large character scale sized object).

PsychoInfiltrator
5 March 2006, 11:26 AM
2. Speaking of docking at port, what do you guys charge(if anything) to players when they land at a dock. Is there a "docking fee"?

Technically, we don't charge them anything. The planetary government does that.

But to add on to Wolverine's comments, there are other things to consider. You don't have to land at a port. And if you land at a private port, you wouldn't ahve to pay a docking fee. (Assuming the PCs owned it, or someone they knew owned it.) Also, PCs traveling under Diplomatic Immunity on an official mission from another government would probably be directed to a more upscale port, and wouldn't have to pay anything.

Redfinger
5 March 2006, 12:45 PM
These are some great ideas!! Thanks for all the input!

I have been thinking about targeting starship systems and this is what I have come up w/

to target a specific system adds a +4 to the defense, this number is adjusted by the size of the attacking ship and the ship being attacked. + or - 1 for each size difference.

For example, a tie fighter(small) being attacked by a yt-1300(medium) would gain a +5 defense bonus to having its lasers taken out by the YT.

In order for the system to be disabled 1/2 of the ships hull pints need to be depleated.

What do you guys think?

Red

Uron Teff
5 March 2006, 12:52 PM
Okay... the problem about your rule is:
Imagine a Tie fighter attacks a Colossal capital ship's turbolaser battery. The colossal ship's weapons would get a bunos of +4 to the defense. Then the size of the two objects would come into play.
Following your example the defense would be lowered by -7 for the turbolaser battery. Therefore the weapons defense would be lower than the defense of the ship.
Or am I mistaken at this point?

Redfinger
5 March 2006, 01:15 PM
Good point, I was thinking this rule would be more applicable in a "dog fight" situation or ships of relative size....When it comes to attacking capitol ships and their smaller batteries the rule will need to be changed/thrown out...nevertheless, i am still going to do some thinking on this....

From another perspective that -7 isnt so far fetched.....The battery is attached to a very large ship that is only moving at 2 squares a round, furthermore, the battery isnt weaving and dodging like a fighter would be, so I think it could be plausable, perhaps w/ this idea, in regards to capitol ships) batteries and other such systems need there own defense bonus?

Just a thought

Red

Uron Teff
5 March 2006, 01:24 PM
But the problem I see is that it's not related to a "blind" shot on the starship. The defense of the turbolaser would be lower than the defense of the whole ship then. This makes no sense IMO. If the turbolaser is an almost stationary target then the ship should be too. And as a ship is bigger than the turbolaser it should be an easier target than the latter IMO.
Furthermore the Defense is not only defined by the maneuverability. It is also defined by its Armor.