PDA

View Full Version : DSP and attone ment...

wolverine
5 March 2006, 10:10 PM
In the 2nd edition D6 system, they actually provided rules for someone to attone for a DSP gained, by spending 3 'sessions' absolving them selves from doing wrong...

But would it get harder for someone to attone, from something they did a previous time??

Eg john jedi, used force lightning, at a time of great peril. He spent the next 3 sessions attoning for that DSP earned. Later on, he uses force lightning again... would that make it harder to attone or easier??
Wht if he used force lightning a third or fourth time??

Jedi_Shadow
5 March 2006, 10:22 PM
I see it this way, wolverine, and you can agree or disagree:

DSPs are kind of like writing on a chalkboard. Once you've written, you've left a mark on the board, but with the proper tools it can be erased. Now, say you make that mark again, erase it, and again, and again. Over time that mark becomes harder to erase, and your old eraser is not going to be as effective as it was when you first used it.

That's how I treat DSPs. So the character committed some horrible crime. If they atone for it, essentially making right what they made wrong (as much as possible), and resolve to avoid the dark side from then on, then the point(s) can be erased. However, if you do something wrong, then are forgiven, and then do it again later, what does that say about your original return to the light? Absolution can only come as you swear off the dark side and adhere to the will of the Force.

Lucas Carr
5 March 2006, 10:59 PM
But the game mechanics don't mention that it gets harder or easier. Or in other words it is the same no matter how many times you do it. But if you want to house rule it differently you could do so.

And I agree with Jedi Shadow that it would become harder.

Jedi_Shadow
6 March 2006, 12:06 AM
That's right, there really aren't any game mechanics to reflect that. You might have to come up with some house rules that suit your situation.

Snowtiger
6 March 2006, 03:35 AM
You could probably implement this easily, by gradually increasing the number of DSP that the character gains upon doing things that incur DSP. This way, whenever tha character wants to atone for their evil deeds, they will have more DSP to lose and cannot lose them as easily as they normally do(use standard rules for atonement).

Example: The character lashes out in anger and kills an innocent bystander, you "award" him with DSP. Every time the character does this again, you add one extra DSP, representing that constantly venturing out to the fringes of the Dark Side makes it harder and harder for them to return to the Light. This also serves a reminder for the players, that you don't want them doing things this way.

Lucas Carr
6 March 2006, 06:17 AM
I don't like that mecahnic, as it also would require new rules that determines when you go Dark (or the equivalent for d6). I would instead increase the number of sessions needed to atone, perhaps with one for each new time or three to mirror Snowtiger's suggestion.

Ace Calhoon
6 March 2006, 07:41 AM
I run it like Lucas Carr's last suggestion: each time you attempt to attone it takes longer.

Of course, this is by no means an official rule. We've almost completely overhauled the DSP system.

wolverine
6 March 2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Lucas Carr
But the game mechanics don't mention that it gets harder or easier. Or in other words it is the same no matter how many times you do it. But if you want to house rule it differently you could do so.

And I agree with Jedi Shadow that it would become harder.

That is why i am asking...

I don't like that mecahnic, as it also would require new rules that determines when you go Dark (or the equivalent for d6). I would instead increase the number of sessions needed to atone, perhaps with one for each new time or three to mirror Snowtiger's suggestion

Lucas. When would that start? The second itme he slips up? The third??
Would it be incremental, that is 2nd fubar requires 4 sessions to attone. 3rd requires five. 4th requires 6? Or would it be harsher, being cumulative. 2nd requires 3, third requires 6. 4th requires 9... 5th requiring 15???

Lucas Carr
6 March 2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by wolverine

That is why i am asking...

Lucas. When would that start? The second itme he slips up? The third??
Would it be incremental, that is 2nd fubar requires 4 sessions to attone. 3rd requires five. 4th requires 6? Or would it be harsher, being cumulative. 2nd requires 3, third requires 6. 4th requires 9... 5th requiring 15???

That is up to you. I wouldn't use it myself. But my original idea was to increase it by one from 3 for each subsequent DSP (for the same thing) while something unrelated would still take 3 sessions. Though that increases GM bookkeeping.