PDA

View Full Version : Rebel Transport Maps

Capt. Reed
14 March 2006, 02:29 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any idea where I could find a map of a gallofree yards class transport like the ones used by the rebels in episode 5? I want to run a creepy game aboard a gallofree yards transport that had escaped from Alderaan and was carrying some unknown things onboard. I know most of it is just cargo but I just really need the cabin parts. Have the lights creepy and keep hearing noise in the background, that sort of thing. If anyone knows of any good ideas for that either please post, this would be my first time of running a game like that. Thanks.

Marty-Wan
15 March 2006, 12:08 PM
Sounds like a cool idea for a game. I like stories that break from the normal “Star Wars mold”, I don’t think I can be of any help to you but I’m curious how this will play out.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
17 March 2006, 01:42 AM
*looks sheepish*

Well, there is -=this thread=- (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16753&highlight=rebel+transport) regarding some work started on a Gallofree Medium Transport... With best intentions never really did get finished, just widely speculated on and a variant idea or two done - side profile thats a "Closed Hull" type (vs the open hull shell)

if this helps you any - cool. Maybe someday i'll get back to finishing what i started. Just one of those things that I got interupted on, it got pushed to the back burner and eventually shelved.

Capt. Reed
17 March 2006, 09:54 AM
I think that I have seen that thread before and it did help, so thanks. I just did a rough sketch of it and I'll probably just use that, but thanks again. Hopefully the game goes good.

Capt. Reed
17 March 2006, 07:37 PM
I know that this should probably go into the rants and raves thread but still... That was the worst game I have ever done. I don't think it was the story or the maps, but rather me and my players. I am seriously thinking about quitting my GMing career now, I just can't take it anymore. :mad:
Although I did get the reaction I wanted, one of my players, the jedi said "I'm not going down there!" and he stayed at the ship. That was the best part, sad I know.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
19 March 2006, 02:36 PM
Sorry to hear about that. Well, not all plans happen the way we expect them to.

GM'ing is much like learning how to ride a bike. At first you fall off and get a few bumps and scrapes, but you gotta climb back on that thing and try again ;)

Basically, don't let this one game discourage you from future gm'ing. Its a learning process - always a learning process actually. Even for the experianced GMs. Even when you think you know what / how your players will react and proceed with the situation presented to them, they'll often surprise you, and put a big ol' wrench into your story, if not ending up doing their own thing.

Thats when you have to get more creative and improvise which can be tough to do at the moments notice on the spot. Call a 5 minute drink & chips refil break, hit the bathroom or whatever.

For your next adventure, do alot more 'what if' brainstorming before hand, or before the players arrive. It might better prepare you for having to improvise on the spot, very likely you'll have come across something you can use durring that brainstorm, or at least an idea that you can adapt for a slight alteration in your scheme of things.

If it makes you feel any better, I had written up and planned out an entire campaign that would've been a year's worth in play time length. I done up most of the npc stats, locations with writups, land maps, tons of plot hook ideas that could be used at moment's notice - very flexible in design... Well, the intro of the campaign didn't go over very good, once arrived at the destination there was some decent NPC interaction , then there was some problems with a couple of the other new players in the group and the game pretty much went up in smoke. kaput.

That was my very first attempt at running a game, let alone a campaign. I was fairly turned off at the notion to ever GM again, but I got over it. And i'm back gm'ing. It was a disapointment my first game flopped before it could even really begin, but it was a learning experiance.

Even now, i'm still not perfect. And I realized at one point, sometimes you just gotta sit down and talk with the players out of game, get their opinions and feedback of the game. Sometimes as GM's we don't see anything wrong with our gameplan, because we've got it all planned out with a decent outcome. We know it, but the players don't. Its inevitable some things have to happen to further the plot, the players may percive it as their character's doom. And if they're resisting to follow the turn of events, then you have to pause the game and simple chat with them, give them re-assurences that your not out to kill their characters. (not unless the players deliberatly do something real stupid like override the airlock safeties, or toss a thermal detonator a few meters down in a very narrow corridor with no cover...). And it never hurts to hint at a decent payoff for completion of the adventure as incentive.

If the players are always doing this to you, then its obviously not fair you you as a GM. You have to sit down with the players and have a serious talk. Voice your concerns and views, and let them voice theirs. Then try to come to some sort of compromise.

One thing that has to stop though - is the players simply saying "i'm not doing that" whenever they choose to. Theres always the element of risk and 'unknown' in any game - its part of rpg'ing and a fun part at that. Thats usually the whole point of RPG'ing - risk, adventure, discovery, delima, and solving the delima.

Metagaming - on the players part is a big no-no. if they know as a player something's down there and refusing to put their character at risk, thats poor rpg'ing on the player's part. The players may know better of the situation, but the characters sholdn't. Would be more acceptable for the player to take the character in cautiously. force sense checks etc, and proceed slowly with care.

Most movies simply wouldn't happen or stop 1/4 ways into the 2 hour show if the characters in the movie simply decided they're not doing that or going there. Dosn't matter be it horror, thriller, mystery, action or adventure.

Starship Troopers for example. John Rico and his classmates sign up for the military to earn their citizenship. Yeah, they know its dangerous, lotsa risk, and all that. At any point and time should Rico hav stopped and said: "I'm not doing that" well, there goes the movie... or the movie becomes a futuristic fictinal war documentary.

Capt. Reed
19 March 2006, 03:03 PM
Thank you for the advice, no really thank you very much, and no that was not sarcasm. I really need to prepare for the "What ifs" more.
I need to alter my story line and send them out into some place they know nothing about, in which I think that would maybe work. But thanks again, really thank you. :D

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
19 March 2006, 07:51 PM
Anytime! ;)

I always keep my mind open for 'what ifs'. Ideas and inspiration can come from anywheres.

What I did for all my 'what ifs' is type them all in jot-note format in windows notepad. I didnt have a palm pilot so i had to remember the ideas as they came to me when i wasn't around the computer (where all my rpg material resides).

However, if you have a palm-pilot, all the power to you. If not, a blank page back of your notebook or binder always works, or whatever.

With the 'what ifs', maybe by chance you'll even self improve your original game idea, with a collage of ideas that could happen, for the players the game can become very fluid and dynamic, rather than a rigid path they're forced to play out. Basically 'what-ifs' can not only expand your original idea, they can pose new questions as well as supply new ansers as well as multiple solutions and outcomes.

For me, this is as much a fun part of GM'ing as the actual gaming itself. Its non-stop creativity and freedom, always building on and expanding off from a basic idea.

gmjabreson
11 April 2006, 06:53 AM
The what ifs will get you every time. I remember reading stories and hearing other Game GM's talking about how frustrated they were when they had these elaborate maps for the players to follow and they went a different direction than what was intended. You just have to plan the what ifs and more importantly, go with the flow. Have some ideas set aside to find ways to get the group to go where you want them to go. What if the other route they want to take is either a dead end, has an uncrossable obstacle, or something else that ends that route for the players?