PDA

View Full Version : Using miniatures for Star Wars Roleplaying Game

The Dark Lord
14 March 2006, 09:09 PM
I am really new to SWRPG and i was wondering if it is all right to use Miniatures out of Star Wars Miniature Game to use in SWRPG. I like maming scenery and stuff like that and i thought if i use miniatures then it would probably look pretty good.

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

The Dark Lord

Xain Arke
15 March 2006, 06:55 AM
am really new to SWRPG and i was wondering if it is all right to use Miniatures out of Star Wars Miniature Game to use in SWRPG. I like maming scenery and stuff like that and i thought if i use miniatures then it would probably look pretty good.

The Dark Lord, if you wanna use minis in the RPG it's up to you dude :D seriously, I think you are probably the type of gamer WOTC dreams about ;)

I've thought about using some of the minis myself for a Prequel era game I'm planning.

so I guess in conclusion, yeah it's okay to use the minis in the RPG just stick to the RPG rules for ranges etc and you'll be fine. :)

Xain

Jedi Master Talon
15 March 2006, 06:56 AM
I use minis all the time in my game and it works great. So ya its all good. INfact I think that was supposed to be another reason for making them.

Donovan Morningfire
15 March 2006, 08:18 AM
I've been using the SW minis for my table-top games for quite some time, and they work great. Granted, it can be something of a pain if you haven't been buying them since they came out, especially for Clone War-era games where you'd need Clone Troopers and Battle Droids as Clone Strike is out-of-print. But if set in Rebellion or later eras, there's been a re-release of Rebel Storm and the Universe set has quite a bit for those eras, especially NR and Vong.

Marty-Wan
15 March 2006, 10:18 AM
Iíve used Minis, Action Figures and Lego in the game before Iíll use anything I can to help the players visualize the game. My sonís toys have been a great help in playing, in fact I was using his old Micro-Machine Ships to help in a space battle the other day.

Roehug
15 March 2006, 12:21 PM
Minatures can also help save time in the long run. I play all my rpg's with minatures if possible using a gaming grid. Scale stops being a problem and ranges are much easier to tell

Elvenshae
15 March 2006, 02:07 PM
When playing just about any RPG, I prefer to bring minis into the equation.

I find they help the players gain a better understanding of where everything is, which allows better use of tactical thinking.

Also, let's face it, minis are cool toys in their own right, and it's fun to move your mini across a battlemat, screaming a Rylothian war cry! :D

Reverend Strone
15 March 2006, 02:28 PM
Ditto to my esteemed collleagues above- I also use minis for my games. They really help bring the scenarios to life.

I think the only pit trap you want be sure that you avoid is when your games are limited by the availability of minis. I struggle with this myself sometimes because I want to have an accurate representation of every character and don't like using stand-ins that look nothing like the true character in the RPG. Sometimes you just have to accept that or else you can only ever use characters that are in the mini lines, which is very limiting to one's creativity as a GM.

I also supplement my games with paper minis like the ones I used before the plastics came along. It works just fine and means the pool of characters I have to draw from is much larger than WoTC's miniatures line and the few that I own.

Santa Claws
15 March 2006, 11:21 PM
Yes, i also agree with all forespeakers(really a typical german incorrect translation). You get no nasty discussion with your rpg-players, who has a LOS(line of sigth) or the wookie fires in the back of the jedi.
Itīs easier for all gamers to identify with their chars. I use miniatures in all my rpg-groups of the diffrent system. In figths you can as GM controll it easier if you have no minis.
But if someone has a struggle for the party with more than 35-40 combatants use the old mini-rules from WEG.

The Dark Lord
16 March 2006, 09:32 PM
Thanks guys for your comments.
I am also playing the miniature game and i was wondering if it was possible to make scenery as long as you had the grid on the board. This was because i love making scenery and i used to play warhammer 40,000 which is simmiliar to the miniature game.

Thanks again.

The Dark Lord

Hooly
19 March 2006, 02:19 AM
Been using mins all the way through my time with the RPG, including the old D6 version (back when WEG was making metal minis).

The part I'm excited about is "Galactic Conquest". This is due in November and is the starship battles game. Info has been from the Wizards Board.

Cheers.

blemelisk
19 March 2006, 06:49 PM
everyone i know that plays the rpg uses the minis. lol you dont need permission to use them. however warhammer 40k terrain and warhammer terrain makes good terrain for scale for the most part. *not to push warhammer on you* but its good terrain. though anything cheaper would be awsome 2 *that looked just as good* if any of you know of any point me to it PLZ!!! lol :D

alex_van_d
6 April 2006, 04:23 PM
I like to use the minis for RPG as well. But I also found the number and type limited. (My budget is only so big.) I found another solution. Get a one inch square punch. (Scrapbooking places make them Creative Memories has a really good one.) Buy those cheap cards from all of the Star Wars card games that have gone belly up. (You can get lots for cheap!) Punch out one inch counters of whatever you need. Use these for the minis you don't have. I've got dozens upon dozens of clones and droids, plus all sorts of aliens, and other characters. This is a really cheap way to represent tactical battles.

Alex

Sithspawn
10 April 2006, 07:05 AM
My group were not hot on using the minis at first. So I just started using them occasionally for the odd little skirmish. And it's working.

Oddly, I've started running my first ever D&D game (first D&D after over 17 years of role-playing!!!) and I used mini's for every encounter and they loved it?!

Personally I love the mini's either as a stand alone game or for RPG use B)

The Dark Lord
14 April 2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks Guys For The Comments

Arjuna
14 April 2006, 07:06 PM
when my players and myself were younger we tried to use Ral Partha figures for D&D and nobody really got into it much. So when I suggested that we use Mini's for Star Wars they looked at me like I was nuts.

themuffinman1201
14 April 2006, 09:39 PM
We just use good old pen and paper...with several dots and badly drawn trees on the paper. And sometimes a wall as a reference point.:P

Kanth D'Bari
11 December 2006, 02:37 AM
Some on mentioned paper minis... I have found some online for SW and they are very good overall. They can really help you out if you don't have the budget for the plastic kind.

I am just starting to experiment with the minis in my game and am looking forward to seeing how it plays out. :)

Does anyone have any links to places where one could find full body shots of any and all Star Wars (or really other Sci-Fi) characters? It would help making paper minis as well.

Just think, you could print up page after page of Stormtrooper or Clonetrooper for pennies :)

Stratos
11 December 2006, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Elvenshae
When playing just about any RPG, I prefer to bring minis into the equation.

I find they help the players gain a better understanding of where everything is, which allows better use of tactical thinking.

Also, let's face it, minis are cool toys in their own right, and it's fun to move your mini across a battlemat, screaming a Rylothian war cry! :D

Right on! I have players with little imagination so having minis on the table to represent them, their allies, and the their foes helps a lot!

Stratos
11 December 2006, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Kanth D'Bari
Does anyone have any links to places where one could find full body shots of any and all Star Wars (or really other Sci-Fi) characters? It would help making paper minis as well.

Just think, you could print up page after page of Stormtrooper or Clonetrooper for pennies :)

You could scan the Essential Guides books?!

gmjabreson
11 December 2006, 04:35 AM
I used the old D6 metal minis back when I first started, had all the "box sets that had them too. Added those to the paper minis, and now use micromachines, plastic minis, and legos to represent characters and baddies.

One can always "customize" a mini to look more like your character, if you want a closer representation and don't mind doing that.

Kanth D'Bari
12 December 2006, 04:24 AM
The Essential guides require me going out and buying them. I was thinking more of webpages with promo shots from Lucas Film, etc... used to be those were all I could find. Now that I want them... ha! Needle in a haystack ;)

A question about the WEG Metal minis. How are they size-wise compared to the WotC minis? I ask before I shell out $30 for a box of 9 Imperial Troopers (something I wish WotC would make for their game) plus shipping.

Anyone know?

Stratos
12 December 2006, 04:33 AM
WEG metal minis are slightly smaller in most cases (true 25mm instead of WoTC's random 28mm). And the details is even less than what WoTC sculpts.

Kanth D'Bari
12 December 2006, 04:36 AM
I see, so would they even be worth it? In the end I mean... if they are smaller and crappier... I dunno... grrrr... thoughts?

Stratos
12 December 2006, 04:46 AM
I see, so would they even be worth it? In the end I mean... if they are smaller and crappier... I dunno... grrrr... thoughts?

For gaming purposes... probably not. You shold be able to buy WoTC singles on eBay or various sites for the same price.

If you're a collector - they are wha they are... a sign of the late 80s early 90s.

When it was all there was, we used them in our gaming. But we never invested into huge lots of them - gladly too now that I don't cllect Star Wars stuff, I just game.

Kanth D'Bari
12 December 2006, 04:50 AM
Oh I am so not a collector... waste of time and money that is ;) I am a gamer and a storyteller and I would love to have some Imperial soldiers (non-Stromtrooper) but WotC doesn't have them yet. May never.

This was an option, a way around that. But if they are total crap then it would be a waste of money.

Kanth D'Bari
12 December 2006, 04:59 AM
Star Wars Unleashed Battle Packs?

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?ID=16991&BR=495

What are these things? What size are the figs?

gmjabreson
12 December 2006, 05:10 AM
they are nice sets, but rather large. Way bigger than minis are by far. They are about the size of the battle packs you see just down the aisle from them. But these are finer detailed and don't carry spring loaded weaponry and projectiles.

Stratos
12 December 2006, 05:55 AM
Star Wars Unleashed Battle Packs?

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?ID=16991&BR=495

What are these things? What size are the figs?

They're highly-detailed, non-poseable, 2 inch figure packs. I really like them but don't actually own any. BUT, if anyone should ever come in possession of an extra Aayla Secura I'll gladly buy it off you for my shelf. My second daughter is named Aayla (after said character) so I have a collecting weakness for her toys. :)

kaeroth
12 December 2006, 06:32 AM
(true 25mm instead of WoTC's random 28mm)
Here's where I show my ignorance. I've never actually *seen* a SW mini, so i don't know how big they are. My group uses custom shrinky-dinks (ahem- it's much cooler thanit sounds), and I've been contemplating getting some minis to add to the fun, btu i was worried about the size. Is the 28mm figure correct (for medium size)? Our shrinkies hover right around an inch after they're all shrunk down, so they'd be great.
If you want more info on using shrinkies, I may have already said something about it earlier in this thread, but I *know* I've pimped them elsewhere on this site. Try a search. For shrinkies.

Edit: I did the search. It's in a thread that Elvenshae started showing off some Starship sheets he made, which are awesome. Shrinky pimp in Elvenshae's thread (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?threadid=19550&perpage=15&highlight=shrinkies&pagenumber=2)

gmjabreson
12 December 2006, 06:47 AM
yeah, I remember the thread on shrinkies, but if you are really "desperate" for character representation, nothing works better than modifying by paint old Legos figures. I've got lots of the things and been mixing town sets with Castle, and others to mix with Star Wars to create buildings, characters, vehicles, etc. Got a great big 55 Gallon tub full of he dang things.

And yes, its heavy as hell.

But I've also got a 1 gallon container full of minis and micromachines to use, so I'm well covered either way I go.

boccelounge
12 December 2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by kaeroth
Is the 28mm figure correct (for medium size)?

25mm is an old school wargamer scale; it fits the "1 inch = 5ft/2m" scale that most RPGers use (in my experience). But for a while now, a lot of minis from companies like Reaper and Wizards have been slightly larger-- 28mm or so.

They still work, but if you draw up good scale maps with a fair amount of detail (as I often do) the 28mm's are a little big. HTH.

Also-- yeah, we've been using a lot of Lego characters along with the normal minis for a while now-- they work quite well. In fact I'm giving a few of my buddies Lego SW ships for Christmas, because a) they like them, and b) I can then use them in RPG campaigns. ;) :D

Kanth D'Bari
12 December 2006, 09:29 AM
What is 1:32 scale then? 28mm? 30mm? Anyone?

Stratos
12 December 2006, 10:00 AM
What is 1:32 scale then? 28mm? 30mm? Anyone?

About 54mm

The scale you want for 25-28mm is 1:43. Corgi brand toys make quite a few licensed vehicles for Batman, Bond, etc. in this size. Testors makes modern cars as well. Both are diecast and fun to customize.

Kanth D'Bari
12 December 2006, 10:05 AM
Bummer... I found a guy who makes Classic BSG minis, but they are 1:32 scale. :( They would bloody well tower over the rest of the figs!

WE ARE THE COLONIALS! YOUR DOOM IS AT HAND!

Kanth D'Bari
12 December 2006, 10:30 AM
What the heck are these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270055877053&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

Sithspawn
12 December 2006, 11:09 AM
I'm guessing there some promotional Ep.I stuff. Probably available through Burger King or KFC.

Stratos
12 December 2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Sithspawn
I'm guessing there some promotional Ep.I stuff. Probably available through Burger King or KFC.

They are - but Japanese Pepsi tie ins and not standard USA fare.

Kanth D'Bari
13 December 2006, 04:32 AM
Interesting... thanks for the info, I think I will give them a miss :)

Can anyone tell me how tall by comparison to the WotC ones the Micro Machines figures were?

Stratos
13 December 2006, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by Kanth D'Bari Can anyone tell me how tall by comparison to the WotC ones the Micro Machines figures were? [/B]

Micro Machine figures are about 1/3 to 1/2 the size of most WoTC minis. Tiny with crappy details.

Kanth D'Bari
13 December 2006, 04:37 AM
Thanks!

Well I guess I'ma stayin' with the WotC ones then :) No big deal in the end ... Just need more! More! Hang those who speak of less! ;)

Ris
2 January 2007, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by boccelounge
Also-- yeah, we've been using a lot of Lego characters along with the normal minis for a while now-- they work quite well. In fact I'm giving a few of my buddies Lego SW ships for Christmas, because a) they like them, and b) I can then use them in RPG campaigns. ;) :D
Hope you have better luck than we did. A few years ago we got the set with Zam Wesel's speeder & the speeder Obi-Wan & Anakin were using to chase her in Ep. 2. First game I used them in, one of the players (a good but not always sensible friend) could not keep his hands off them. Taking them partially apart, mixing up the parts, you name it & he messed them up totally, even after My Hubby asked him to not fiddle with them, that we wanted to be able to display them when we weren't gaming with them. We just gave up on them & let the kids have the pieces. And even if you don't have gaming buddies who sometimes act 1/10 their age, some of the models can come apart easily. I have to be very careful with my B-wing for example, as the model's a little top heavy on it's gantry.

gmjabreson
7 January 2007, 01:07 PM
yeah, the legos can be a bit awkwardly balanced from time to time, but building large facilities out of them and having the players actually move lego characters around inside, never knowing where the enemy is, if they are around that corner or behind that closed blast door.

What fun I've had using various things.

Admiral Zaarin
8 January 2007, 01:21 PM
Due to my lack of miniatures, I often use my overabundant d6s. They work quiite nicely, especially for generic enemies such as battledroids/clonetroopers/stormtroopers/[insert your generic opponent here]. :)

Jame
9 January 2007, 05:34 AM
Using the minis for RPing? Hell yeah!

My only complaint is that WotC makes too few girls armed with guns.