PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Use All the Rules?

shaobu
16 March 2006, 04:33 PM
Does anyone use all of the rules? I'd like to know how many and which ones you don't use.

Shaobu :plokoon:

Stratus Tel'narus
16 March 2006, 04:55 PM
There are a TON of rules I don't use, at least when I'm GMing, as well as a bunch of house rules.

For one, all classes that have a +1 base attack bonus at first level gets the quick draw feat for free. After all, what kind of a warrior can't draw his weapon in the blink of an eye?

All classes have spot and listen as class skills as well. It never made sense to me that only certain classes were good at noticing things. I mean come on.

The starship opperation feats. I removed them. Personally I think that if you have ranks in pilot, you can fly a ship. You shouldn't need a feat AND skill ranks to do something that most of the galaxy is capable of doing. It's just a waste.

Also, I use 3d8 as the base damage for lightsabers, and don't have the bonus damage to lightsabers. In the movies/books/comics, battles lasted for full minutes, even an hour in some of the more epic ones. However, at 20th level two jedi square off, and whoever wins initiative usually wins the battle. Doing 7d8 or so with a lightsaber with each attack, with 4 or 5 attacks per round = one short fight. So to make the battles last longer, and seem more realistic, it's 3d8 damage. That's it.

Hmm, that's all that comes to mind.

wolverine
16 March 2006, 10:31 PM
This also depends on which system you are on about....

For me, one of the rules i did not realise i was never using, but i will from now on, is the movement modifiers for missiles/torpeedos against ships...

Dashdar
17 March 2006, 02:42 AM
I have never used the encumbrance rules. No one ever comes close to having enough equipment, and my players are in love with DEX too much to wear more than a blast vest.

Sithspawn
17 March 2006, 06:13 AM
This game has rules? Wow!

If I'm on a roll mid-game and a rule gets in the way I just ignore it. It's the role-playing that counts.

Generally though there are no doubt lots of rules we don't use. I never bother with AOO in our games. Plus there a bunch of rules like Bantha Rush, etc. that I've just not bothered to tell the players about
:rolleyes:

Marty-Wan
17 March 2006, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Sithspawn
This game has rules? Wow!
:D

I believe that as a GM we are trying to tell a story with our players and if the complexities of the rules hinder the flow then I just make a quick judgment call and move on. I don’t see the point in stopping every five minutes to roll the dice if I know ultimately the players need to break down the door and rush into the room to save the Wookie. That being said when cultivating new stories I often look to the Core rule book to find some obscure rule that we don’t normally use and try and find a way to work in a situation the requires it to help us all understand the rules little bit better.

Sabre
17 March 2006, 05:15 PM
Who I'm playing with has an effect on what rules I use. If I'm playing with strangers over the internet, I'll stick to the core book entirely and sourcebooks on a case by case basis.

If I'm gaming with people I've gamed with before who know my GMing style, or friends, I'll open the game up to house rules (mine and theirs) to enable more flexibility in character design and development, and dispense with some of the core rules that I don't like to apply so much (like the letter of the law in training time).

Even in game though, if a rule is working counter to something I or a player is trying to do that I believe will have a fun or interesting effect overall on the game, I'll interpret the rule differently, or forget to apply it entirely.

Ubiqtorate
21 March 2006, 09:41 AM
I'm with Sithspawn. Rules? What rules? In fact, I think the only rule we follow consistently in my group is the old D6 rule that "if a rule gets in your way, throw it out!"

Some of the most frequently thrown-out rules include training time and other character development rules. We're in this to tell a good story, not one where our characters have to take a break between adventures so they can go back to Starfighter school. Multiple-action penalties are also applied somewhat loosely, but that's one I'm actually trying to follow more closely.

Dashdar
21 March 2006, 10:39 AM
Put me down for the story telling aspect too.

I do my best to try to anticipate what my players may want to do so I can be ready with a response. But many times, they surprise even me.

One time they were running from some security guards. They went through a cafeteria and one player asked me it there was “the Star Wars equivalent of fountain drink dispensers” in the room. I said sure. Then he said he wanted to take one of the Co2 cans, line it up to the door, and smash the top so it would fly at the guards.

Frankly, I thought it was a cool idea so I just made up some checks and ran with it. It was a nice little moment for the characters and memorable.

So I guess my point is…Never be afraid to say, “You can try it.” Then have them make some check that you think are appropriate. I think there is a chart in the RCRB about difficulty DC (what qualifies as easy-heroic). If they get a good check, roll with it if it works with your story.

LordSei
21 March 2006, 12:46 PM
theres definetly alot of rules i dont use...alot! like too many to list
usually i dont use all the space combat rules.... i just want to blow someone up not sit around for 5minutes calculating if i win :P