PDA

View Full Version : New to Miniatures

Arjuna
18 March 2006, 10:39 PM
Hello all

I am new to the forums and new to minis. I was wondering how hard these are to find and if there are any that are impossible to get now.

S-Hershey
18 March 2006, 11:56 PM
Generally speaking, you should be able to find the minis at better gaming stores or several online outlets. If you're just starting out, the easiest way to begin is pick up the Revenge of the Sith Starter Set and a couple of booster packs.

I wrote a blog entry over at starwars.com about getting started with SW Minis. It provides a detailed overview that you'll find helpful.

Starting Star Wars Minis
http://blogs.starwars.com/silverforce/12

As for current availability, the Rebel Storm Starter Set, Clone Strike Starter Set and Clone Strike Boosters are no longer available (though you might get lucky and find a copy somewhere). Clone Strike focused on Episodes 1 and 2. Rebel Storm Boosters are still available (they were reprinted). Revenge of the Sith boosters and starters are still out there, as is the Universe set. AT-ATs are still in some stores and the Attack on Endor Scenario Pack was just released.

The next full set is Champions of the Force, and is due out in early summer. Bounty Hunters follows that one later in the year. There will also be a space miniatures game, though details haven't been announced yet.

If, for some reason, you can't find starters but only boosters, you can get the rules online at the Wizards of the Coast website. You'll still need maps from Attack on Endor (or a blank battlemap will do in a pinch).
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars

Arjuna
19 March 2006, 09:08 AM
Thank you S-Hershey.

I guess I got into it late to get some really cool minis.

Other then playing and using them for the RPG I was really wanting to collect all the Force users. Do you know what minis will be included in the Champions of the Force set?

Sithspawn
19 March 2006, 01:49 PM
Known Champions of the Force minis are Exar Kun, Sith Master, Sith soldier, Jania Solo, Ugnaught demolitionist & General Windu (I think). Pretty sure there is a Darth Vader with Commander effects in there too. It's going to be force user heavy and introduces the Sith and Old Republic Factions.

As for previous sets, most can be picked up easily off eBay or online shops, except Clone Strike.

Darth Maul & Aurra Sing being the two most expensive I believe. I've seen them advertised for over $70 each!

If you like the original trilogy pickup some Rebel Storm. If you can't find a starter then buiy the ROTS starter, that has a nice board map too.

Arjuna
19 March 2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks for your responses

WOW 70 each thats an awful lot.

I seem to just keep getting more disapointing news about these minis.

blemelisk
19 March 2006, 06:57 PM
whats interesting the game didnt really seem to get a big following until ROTS came out. then rebel storm and clone strike just seemed to disapear. everyone seem to get into the game then and wanted the earlier stuff

i hope they make some new ewoks... though i need more... one day I WILL walk in to the store with 33 ewoks for the 100 point tourney...why you might ask?...because i can .MWUUUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

:ewok:
Thou shall fear thy Ewok*

Arjuna
19 March 2006, 08:46 PM
Okay I just looked all over google to see what was out there and what kind of prices I am looking at to get the minis I want. I found that most of them are sold out on all the game and toy sites but I did find some of them on eBay.

Is it worth it to buy them on eBay or is there a source that I may be missing?

Santa Claws
20 March 2006, 05:11 AM
Welcome Arjuna, nice that you share the net with us. Now some tip for you:
Take a look at these link:
www.popularcollections.com.

here you can find some single minis for a good price (execpt the VR`s).

Will be good to give us a hint their is you MPTS (most place to stay
:D ) so some of us in your neighbourhood can you help.

blemelisk
20 March 2006, 08:41 AM
iconusa.com is also a good place.

S-Hershey
20 March 2006, 03:10 PM
I've used these guys on occasion:

http://www.twilightcards.com/

Don't forget to check out your local gaming stores as well. Some stores sell individual minis, like they do with card games.

Arjuna
20 March 2006, 09:28 PM
Are there any retail stores that sale these. I know that I saw some at Barnes and Noble and Suncoast Video but they no longer have them. I found out that a local comic book shop owner bought up all of them he could find and jacked the price way up on them. I hate guys like that but that is capitalism. Oh well he got them first so I cant cry to much.

S-Hershey
20 March 2006, 10:09 PM
That's unfortunate. Seems like that's not a great way to lure customers to your store.

The only retail stores I've seen them in are Barnes and Noble, but that was last year when they had all of the Revenge of the Sith stuff. I did see D&D minis at B&N recently, though, so you might keep an eye out. They were on a freestanding shelf along with some RPG hardbacks.

Also, Amazon carries SW minis online.

coldskier0320
20 March 2006, 10:25 PM
I can vouch for Borders/Waldenbooks having minis. I worked last winter at a Borders and I just went to get Triple Zero and saw some, I think, like thispast weekend. :) I personally dont play, so I didnt bother to check exactly what set they had, but hey, at least youll get those ones at MSRP.

Iceberg
21 March 2006, 04:19 AM
Paizo (http://www.paizo.com) (publisher of Dungeon magazine and Dragon Magazine) also carries single minis. The prices are fairly reasonable.

Click Here (http://www.paizo.com)

PsychoInfiltrator
21 March 2006, 03:37 PM
Chapters/Indigo stores often carry them, but at least here in Canada they jack the prices up a bit.

i hope they make some new ewoks... though i need more... one day I WILL walk in to the store with 33 ewoks for the 100 point tourney...why you might ask?...because i can .MWUUUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

They need an Ewok shaman, and a Huge Ewok Glider.

An Ewok archer would be nice, too.

Not to mention an Ewok slinger, but maybe that's too beyond impossible.

Arjuna
16 April 2006, 07:41 PM
Just talked to a reputable comic shop owner in my area and he said that he is going to start carrying all of the Wizards of the Coast minis. I asked him if he was going to be able to get the older sets and he seemed pretty confident that he would be able to. I hope he is right.

My question is is it just wishful thinking on his part or do you guys think he will be able to?

Also if he is able to how much do you think it would cost to get caught up on the sets?

PsychoInfiltrator
17 April 2006, 11:23 AM
Wishful thinking or good connections, IMO.

S-Hershey
17 April 2006, 03:18 PM
I'm not up on the availability of sets at the moment. However, here are a few comments....

Rebel Storm reprinted awhile back and still seems to be available, except for the Starter Set.

Clone Strike has not had a reprint and all signs show that one isn't coming soon, if at all.

Revenge of the Sith should still be available. This has the only current starter set.

Universe is still out there.

The AT-AT I'm not sure about...

Attack on Endor is the most recent release.

The next set is Champions of the Force, due out late May or june, I think. I don't know the exact date.

The ships game and Bounty Hunters will be out later in the year.