PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Empire at War : Any good?

Darth_Xanthor
24 March 2006, 04:58 PM
Hey

Has anybnody played the new RTS game Star Wars: Empire at War?

If so ...is it any good? or is it like Bantha Fodder?

Thanks in advanced

S-Hershey
24 March 2006, 06:47 PM
I've enjoyed it quite a bit. I find the space combat the most fun, by far. There are little things that really add to the star wars feel...like the fleet dropping out of hyperspace and or the ion cannon effects. I also like that each unit has a different special ability that you can actually use to your advantage.

There is a sort of "movie mode" where you can watch the battle from cinematic viewpoints. It's fun, though it doesn't always show the most interesting part of the battle.

I'm currently playing the Rebel campaign at Medium difficulty. It's been challenging. The Empire regularly shows up in force to stomp my little Rebellion. It's very appropriate and can be amusing. I'm starting to get the hang of it, though. Little by little, I pry one more system away.

I haven't played the Empire yet, but those I know who have tried are enjoying it as well.

Haven't tried multiplayer yet.

It's a different game from Galactic Battlegrounds (which was essentially Age of Empires Star Wars). Better in most ways and has a much improved star wars feel. The only thing I really miss from Galactic Battleground is the ability to build your base to your own liking. The options are more limited in EaW.

I highly recommend Empire at War.

wolverine
24 March 2006, 09:20 PM
I have actually been contemplating geting battle ground and battle ground 2.... Especially since they are around 20 bucks now...

S-Hershey
24 March 2006, 10:02 PM
So....tonight the Empire sent in a fleet of star destroyers....6 ISDs, an interdictor and a couple of very small cruisers versus my level 4 station, its built-in garrison force (xwings, ywings, corellian corvettes and a Nebulon B) plus a couple of Corellian corvettes.

It was a short battle. managed to take out the interdictor and the cruiser and nearly got one ISD.

Ouch.

But fun.

gmjabreson
11 April 2006, 06:17 AM
HyperVelocity Gun is a very useful tool to use as well in space combat above planets you control. Had fun with that little bugger last night. Almost made laugh when I first saw it fired, looked like a white version of the planetary gun used in "Battlestar Galactica" episode Gun on Ice Planet Zero. Having Star Destroyers and that in same system a foolish rebel dares attack is bound to end in disaster for them.

Marty-Wan
11 April 2006, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by wolverine
I have actually been contemplating geting battle ground and battle ground 2.... Especially since they are around 20 bucks now...

Yes, my son has Empire at War and he loves it, but I still play Battlegrounds, that game is limitless in the fun you can have with it.

gmjabreson
11 April 2006, 07:10 AM
I have battlegrounds as well, especially like playing the standard games, can build how you want and what you want, much like the archaic command and conquer games of old.:)

Alis_Morningstar
28 April 2006, 06:03 PM
Empire at War seems very much like a combination of the old rebellion game and Battlegrounds. Adding options from both but removing many features that would tie the game up or make it too complicated. Overall I think it is a great strategy game.

Bob Boop
28 April 2006, 08:44 PM
I almost got it but I figured that I already had too many Star Wars games so I got Battle for Middle Earth 2 which is a great game and I reccomend it to anyone who likes Lord of the Rings

PsychoInfiltrator
29 April 2006, 09:35 AM
Empire at War seems very much like a combination of the old rebellion game and Battlegrounds. Adding options from both but removing many features that would tie the game up or make it too complicated. Overall I think it is a great strategy game.

It was billed to us Rebellion fans as a Rebellion sequel.

As far as it goes, what Rebellion is, EAW isn't. Before I go into any discussion of the worthyness of EAW, I must point out that EAW is not Rebellion. It has simlarities, and was probably used to show what to build on, but Rebellion is totally different than EAW. The combat system is totally different, and the galaxy map functions in EAW pale comapred to what you can do in Rebellion. Furthermore, the most important part of Rebellion, for Rebel commanders and Imperial admirals alike, the diplomacy meter, is non-existant in EAW.

But I can save my long-winded comaprison of Rebellion and EAW for some other thread. Now for my speech on EAW's merits and demerits.

EAW's graphics are not 3x past amazing, like we are led to believe. They are good, but just good, on a scale with Oblivion at 10 and Pong at 1.

EAW's space combat system is overly simplified, so that practically anyone can pick up and play, and the learning curve is neither steep nor never-ending. Once you have realized the basics of space combat, the outcome of battles basically depends on relative tech levels (The fire-power jump from, say, Acclamator to Victory is immense) and your awareness of the battle.

99% of all tactics in that game are done to either alter the fleet's starting makeup/position and to best rectify problems coming from inattention being payed by the commander to one or more allied and enemy fleet elements.

For the most point, ambushes are useless. For one thing, agaisnt a computer player, they don't work. For another thing, the simple and practical tactic of keeping your heavy ships and support ships massed in one spot, missile gunships far from the enemy fire, means that an effective (that it to say, a maneuver more effective than simply attacking headlong) ambush against either heavy cruisers or light support ships is nigh impossible. And space stations, the other main target, only become particularly high-value targets once they develop particularly high powered weapons and shields. In other words, they are not worth going out of your way to kill until after they have the ability to effectively defend themselves.

In addition, the tactics to take out a space station of any level are quite simple elementary, and there isn't all that much that a human commander can do to stop them. No maneuver-counter maneuver here.

And don't get me started on the fleet design. Because the fleet size is so limited, ostensibly due to graphical limitations, very little of a large fleet actually starts off in play, thereby giving fleets with vastly fewer (more more powerful) ships the advantage against the larger fleet as long as the smaller fleet's commander makes no major mistakes and can avoid a war of attrition. This is way to easy at the lower difficulties, though it does admittedly get a bit harder int he higher ones.

The other annoying thing, presumably to steamline space combat, is the way support ships are set up. If you have 1 of a particular ship, it will be out, emaning that a well balanced fleet ends up being almost more diverse on the battlefield than off it.

My big problem is that the two monstrosity ships, the ISD and MonC, will always (assuming there are enough 'points' in support ships) only come in groups of one at the start of battle. In order to increase your fire-power, you must take casualties. You cannot swap out ships.

Another problem I have with the game is that a MonC at practically no health, but still alive at one point in time remarkably becomes full-health a day later when my next fleet arrives. This bit of unrealism probably comes from tthe limited-fleet factor and inability to swap out ships.

My last and final comment at the moment on EAW space combat is this:

It's to flashy. Probably because of the main in-combat problem with rebellion, that is, that each volley from any ship (exempting the SSD) is composed of one appropriately coloured blast, every ship in EAW fires half a million bolts evetry volley. This is good for the poorly-scaled MonCs and ISDs, but unrealistic for a Corellian corvette. The flippin' thing only has a maximum broadside of 5 guns, after all-not to mention the fact that many of the energy bolts in EAW clearlydo not emanate from gun barrels, and certainly not in a recognizable stream, more clump-styled.

OH, I forgot one compalint. In essence, from a control point of view, EAW's space battle might as well be in 2D.

Fingon
8 May 2006, 05:07 PM
I agree with PsychoInfiltrator on most of those points. The game was fun, if I wanted to see Star Wars ships shoot eachother. And It was very cool, being able to command fleets of Star Destroyers and crush the pitiful Rebellion fleet. But beyond that, the game wasn't that great. The thing that bugged me the most was balance issues, the Nebulon B frigates going toe to toe with Imperial warships... not likely. Ground combat was a little unbalanced also. X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter spoiled me in that respect; although the fighters are riddiculously overpowered, the Capitol ships were well represented.

All things considered, however, this game wasn't half bad. It was still fun, just not accurate. But, if ya'll like these fleet command games, I would suggest Homeworld. Excellent game.

Pel
12 May 2006, 01:06 AM
I see an expansion is due this fall called Forces of Corruption.

It appears to add various units like B-wings, Yoda, Executor , and my personal favorite, Eclipse . The second Death Star will also make an appearance.

Guerrilla warfare is mentioned in the writeup. Not sure how that will affect gameplay, or if it's intended to address some of the issue brought up in previous posts. Could be interesting.

gmjabreson
12 May 2006, 04:47 AM
Saw a preview of it last night when the LucasArts President was interviewed on TV last night. Two words, "F^(^%^( Awesome"

PsychoInfiltrator
12 May 2006, 04:08 PM
I saw the muted trailer today. My only concern with the Eclipse is: What Rebel monstrosity are they gonna make up to balance it? The Bulwark cruiser died with SW: Rebellion, after all.

Fingon
12 May 2006, 06:44 PM
Luke and Leia, of course! Remember what happened last time?

But seriously, that is kind of the problem with games like this, the whole idea was the the Rebellion was completely outgunned by the Empire. The battle where the Tantive captured the Death Star plans was their first Victory, the Battle of Yavin was the second, and they kinda had a jedi-to-be and prophesy on their side.

But on a purely gameplay level, the Rebellion might have a whole bunch of Mon Cals, use Suicide tactics, or whip out a few captured Star Destroyers. Possibly in junction with suicide tactics.

wolverine
12 May 2006, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by PsychoInfiltrator
I saw the muted trailer today. My only concern with the Eclipse is: What Rebel monstrosity are they gonna make up to balance it? The Bulwark cruiser died with SW: Rebellion, after all.

Bulwark cruiser?

Pel
13 May 2006, 01:59 AM
Yup. Bulwark Battlecruiser from the venerable Rebellion PC game. It was the 'big gun' capital ship of the Rebel Alliance. Sort of their answer to the Super Star Destroyer (SSD).

boccelounge
13 May 2006, 07:55 AM
Bulwark cruiser?

Originally posted by Pel
Yup. Bulwark Battlecruiser from the venerable Rebellion PC game...

It looks like a big fat guppy... not quite the streamlined, curvy elegance we're used to seeing from Alliance cap ships...

As far as I know, the Bulwark makes its only (canon) appearance in the Rebellion game. Has anyone ever seen it elsewhere?

Doty
13 May 2006, 10:48 AM
Wookieepedia entry: (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bulwark-class_battlecruiser)

After a while, it was real hard for me not to skip the ground action, rather bleh.

Other than combat gameplay improvements and increased unit diversity, I hope they make the interface more ergonomic (the steepest learning curve.) I do kinda miss the diplomacy, sabotage, the ability to name your own units, & conquer the entire galaxy starting with only a handful from Rebellion.

boccelounge
13 May 2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by boccelounge
As far as I know, the Bulwark makes its only (canon) appearance in the Rebellion game. Has anyone ever seen it elsewhere?

Originally posted by Doty
Wookieepedia entry: (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bulwark-class_battlecruiser)
Thanks!

Originally posted by Doty
I do kinda miss the diplomacy, sabotage, the ability to name your own units, & conquer the entire galaxy starting with only a handful from Rebellion.
Yeah, I really enjoyed Rebellion... and I'm becoming increasingly convinced that EaW is another one I'll get into... as soon as I get over this Total War addiction. ;)

Thinithil
13 May 2006, 03:36 PM
EaW is another one I'll get into... as soon as I get over this Total War addiction

Good luck! Medieval 2-Total War is due later this year I believe. Now Star Wars- Total War... That's a title I'd like to see. I have enjoyed EaW but haven't yet found it as entertaining as Rebellion. What I was really looking for was a super-remake of Rebellion in the first place. EaW is good, I like some of the aspects, but it seems hectic or something. I'm not sure how to explain it but it feels like I need to sit there with my face planted on the screen - no down time.

wolverine
14 May 2006, 12:35 AM
So would you recommend getting rebellion?

boccelounge
14 May 2006, 09:25 AM

I would, if a) you can still find it, and b) you like RTS games. It's a relatively dense game, with resource management, troop-building, fleet combat, diplomacy, exploration, and more all packed in.

It got a few bad reviews, based (apparently) on this density, and on what some felt was a difficult-to-learn interface-- apparently the [Right-Click] just confuses some people... ;)

I liked it quite a bit; there's a minor learning curve to get started, but the interface is no more difficult than, say, Windows 95. And the replay value, IMO, is very high. You learn new tricks and tactics all the time.

And, well, it's just plain fun to conquer the galaxy. :)

Doty
14 May 2006, 09:50 AM
Yeah, it's really too bad Petroglyph didn't incorporate things people liked from Rebellion at all--on their fan forums they said the expansion won't have gameplay improvements like diplomacy or veterancy/experience gain either = me waiting for the sequel.

For coming 10 years later, the biggest difference between the 2 is really only & obviously graphics, little advancement was made in terms of gameplay. Outside of MP, EaW has limited replay value at this point, only the map editor coming out/the mod community add that, other than the Exp.'s brief pirate campaign in the Fall.

The Exp's made-up pirate units look kinda stupid anyways.

PsychoInfiltrator
16 May 2006, 03:08 PM

(emphatically) YES

It got a few bad reviews, based (apparently) on this density, and on what some felt was a difficult-to-learn interface-- apparently the [Right-Click] just confuses some people...

Interestingly, it seems form my limited observaiton that those who didn't like Rebellion loved EAW...and the reverse also seems to be true.

{Shameless Advertisment for Rebellion Fans Follows}

www.swrebellion.com-best Rebellion site on the Net.

Tell 'em Psych sent ya. At elast one or two'll pronbably make some crack about thinking I'm dead. ;) But that' another off-topic story...

Alis_Morningstar
18 May 2006, 04:45 PM
Not entirely true, as I have both games and am horribly addicted to both. If I ever had to choose I would be bereft. Rebellion has so much depth, once you conquer the rather simplistic controls that you will lose large gaps of hours to it. EaW is an entirely different sort of game IMO due to the much more in depth combat system -- In the end, Rebellion is a strategy game and Empire at War is a tactics game with a dash of strategy.

PsychoInfiltrator
18 May 2006, 05:25 PM
Not entirely true,

I was nto implying that people cannot like both games, depsite appearances to the contrary, I do. I just think that Rebellion was done better.