PDA

View Full Version : Can Wookies really swim?

Marty-Wan
30 March 2006, 07:06 AM
:wookiee:
When faced with a water obstacle do Wookies get a penalty for the fact that their fur will become so heavy when wet? Also my player who plays a Wookie has a small floating droid that translates everything she says, how should I handle this when the cave fills with water?
:wookiee:

Ronin
30 March 2006, 07:10 AM
I'd say they can swim...plenty of dogs with long hair can, AFAIK, swim.

As for the droid...I'd say it's speakers would be screwed by the water. :)....though I suppose a SW droid might have some kinda tech to prevent that. I guess it all depends how expensive a droid it is...

Jedi_Shadow
30 March 2006, 09:01 AM
LOL, the first thing that popped into my head was "Doggy Paddle."

Ubiqtorate
30 March 2006, 10:37 AM
Grizzly bears have fur that's quite similar to Wookiee fur, and they're great swimmers.

gmjabreson
30 March 2006, 11:13 AM
not to beat on the proverbial dead horse here, but I think they would be able to swim. However, being "able" to swim and the "ability" to swim are two different things. One can't swim very well if one doesn't know how to do so.

PsychoInfiltrator
30 March 2006, 12:47 PM
In other words, what I believe gmjabreson is saying is:

A Wookie with Swim ranks can swim, jsut like a Human with Swim ranks can swim.

It all depends on whether or not the Wookie has any ranks in Swim.

Uron Teff
30 March 2006, 12:59 PM
Well Swim can be used untrained and therefore a character without ranks in the Swim skill can still try to swim. And a character with 12 in Strenght and no ranks in the Swim skill can basically swim as well as a character with a Strenght score of 10 and one ranks in Swim.

Sithspawn
30 March 2006, 01:01 PM
Polar Bears are also good swimmers.
And a Wookie is a powerful beast, so I'd say they could swim well.

Marty-Wan
30 March 2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks.:wookiee:

Santa Claws
31 March 2006, 01:42 PM
Will be a WAMPA also swim, if he come to a world not like Hoth.
Not that a WAMPA may similar to a WOOKIE, but they both a hairy big creatures with powerful muscles...

Darth Fierce
31 March 2006, 02:24 PM
Well...I've always thought of Wookiees looking like over-sized sloths, and given the fact that sloths are great swimmers, it'd be plausible that Wookiees might be too.

Darth Fierce :vader:

Santa Claws
3 April 2006, 03:11 AM
And thats about the WAMPA ?

Darth Fierce
3 April 2006, 03:55 AM
No...that's about Wookiees. However, on the topic of Wampas, the answer is most definitely "Yes."

To elaborate, even on Hoth, there's bound to be occasions where liquid water can be found on the planet. As a result, it's perfectly plausible to believe that a Wampa could swim through it. And if that explanation doesn't suit you, consider the case of the Swamp Wampa in the Dark Forces expansion "Mysteries of the Sith." Likely such a creature would have to pick up some degree of swimming skill to survive.

Santa Claws
3 April 2006, 04:05 AM
Ok , thx and for the swamp wamba i take a look...

McRage
4 April 2006, 04:51 AM
When faced with a water obstacle do Wookies get a penalty for the fact that their fur will become so heavy when wet? Also my player who plays a Wookie has a small floating droid that translates everything she says, how should I handle this when the cave fills with water?

The fur of an animal is actually lighter than water and as such it floats. (Some animals in the SW galaxy might have heavier fur, but lets not talk about them now, shall we...). Fur also have the ability to trap air when submerging into water so a fured animal that lowers it self slowly into calm water will sometimes have even better boyancy than a furless animal of the same kind.
Fur becoming heavy when wet does not come into play until you get out of the water... and the fur itself doesnt get any heavier, it is just that it is trapping a lot of water.

So, fur will not hinder a wookies or any other aliens ability to swim. (As long as the race in question is not denser than water...)

As for the droid... as long as it floats it will be ok since it will be avove water. If it gats submerged it should have the possibility to shortcircuit unless it is waterproofed. Think of it as a watch, sometimes it might survive getting a quick dip in the water, other times it will just get soaked and in need of extensive repairs (and drying) to be able to function again. So, in a game mechanics way I would give him a fortitude save dc10 each round it is submerged. if it is submerged more than one round the dc would have to go up by +1 each round.

Snowtiger
4 April 2006, 10:51 AM
I think you guys nailed it right on the head, Wookiees can definitely swim, and we know that Kashyyyk has oceans and seas, so there's bound to be lakes as well. All the water that makes the Wroshyr trees grow has to come from somewhere.

However, someone from a desert world(such Tatooine) definitely has the ability to swim, but usually doesn't know how to swim(is not able to swim, or has "no Swim skill ranks" as it's put in D20 jargon). Apart from the trash compactor scene(although this cannot be taken as clear evidence that he can swim), have we ever seen Luke swimming.

gmjabreson
4 April 2006, 04:34 PM
Luke did a short swim, along with Artoo on Dagobah, from his fighter to shore in the swamps.

Darth Fierce
5 April 2006, 03:57 AM
I took it as Luke wading rather than swimming on Dagobah. One can wade without being able/knowing how to swim...I'm the perfect real-world example for that. :)

gmjabreson
5 April 2006, 04:08 AM
yeah, but he does drop in pretty far, i figured he mostly floated. Since he was wearing a flight suit that was probably made for situations like that.

Marty-Wan
5 April 2006, 07:46 AM
Didnít Luke swim in the classic Marvel Comics series (I know they need to be taken with a grain of salt, but so does the Rebellion series from Dark Horse )? I seem to remember him visiting a water planet where he hooked up with some yellow guy who became a regular in the later issues of the series. His swimming skills could have come from the zero-G training he ďmayĒ have gotten with the Rebellion; however I donít remember how well he swam.
:lukejedi:

TarlSS
27 April 2006, 12:16 PM
Wookies swim in Episode three, during the water fight.

boccelounge
27 April 2006, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Marty-Wan
Didnít Luke swim in the classic Marvel Comics series... ? I seem to remember him visiting a water planet... ?

Yes, he did!

Your post motivated me trek down to the basement and dig out my original, first-printing, bought-with-my-own-grubby-little-prepubescent-hands copy of Stan Lee Presents: Star Wars #12, evocatively (if not particularly descriptively) entitled Doomworld.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/boccelounge/swc_12.jpg

Luke not only swims, he also rides a sea-dragon, and fights off a horde or so of pirates with his [ahem] pink lightsaber-- or so my 28-year old comic would have me believe... perhaps it was "red" originally... ;)