PDA

View Full Version : Hero's Guide woes

cheshire
2 April 2006, 01:27 PM
Okay, I'll admit that I got into the d20 game late and didn't buy the books a when they were still in print, but this is getting a bit ridiculous. I finally got a bit of cash together and decided I would see what I could do about expanding my d20 collection. I've been trying to get my hands on the Hero's Guide, but it's going for $60 or $70 on Ebay. Some sucker just bought it for $100 on half.com.

I find it very odd that WotC couldn't make enough money off of these books if people are paying astronomical prices for them!

I suppose I wouldn't be so hacked off if it weren't for the fact that three times I've ordered a reasonably priced bopy of the book from different vendors, and for one reason or another the order has been cancelled.

Rostek
2 April 2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by cheshire
I suppose I wouldn't be so hacked off if it weren't for the fact that three times I've ordered a reasonably priced bopy of the book from different vendors, and for one reason or another the order has been cancelled.

Ouch- that would do it (at least for me...). I have to say, Hero's Guide is the best book put out for the RCR, though I don't know as though I'd pay such inflated prices for it. Good luck getting your hands on a copy.

cheshire
9 April 2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I just had another order cancelled this week. I hate it when the dealers confirm that the book is available, and then contact the publisher to find out that they can't get it.

I've been pretty upset with a guy on Half.com as he confirmed the order, and then waited a week to cancel it. In the mean time there was one sitting on Amazon that I could have purchased. Of course it was gone by the time he sent me the cancellation.

Anyway, thanks.

I just wish that WotC realized that the demand was high enough to push the price up past $80 on a good day (on eBay.) I would think they could make some money on a re-print of the book.

Ringlord816
9 April 2006, 03:19 PM
Ouch. I was lucky enough to get my copy about a month before amazon stopped selling it directly, but there are several books that I would love to have, but won't spend that much for.

Marty-Wan
9 April 2006, 03:37 PM
Now I’m not advocating the use of these :raised: even though I did purchase my copy when they were new I also found a “back-up” copy on a peer-to- peer server network … “lemon” or “lime” something or other.

Ardent
9 April 2006, 05:57 PM
You know, I have a spare somewhere, but I'm nowhere near where that somewhere would be. Sorry I can't help you out on this one, cheshire. All I can say is hang in there...eventually you'll find what you need.

Fandor Thamorrin
19 April 2006, 11:35 AM
I did some searching on a file-sharing program I own *cough* Morpheus *cough* and I found Hero's Guide on it. I could probably send the file to you via PM...

Darth Fierce
19 April 2006, 02:51 PM
Am I the only one that can still find many of the d20 Star Wars books at cover price or less? Well...obviously not, if my theory regarding the people who hike up the prices on the Internet holds any water.

Seriously...I often see books such as the Hero's Guide, the Arms and Equipment Guide, and Power of the Jedi in retail book sellers or used book stores. It was no so long ago that the Starships of the Galaxy supplement was pretty common in the used book stores I haunt. And I know I've seen either Coruscant and the Core Worlds or Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds somewhere recently.

I echo Ardent's sentiment...keep looking, you're bound to find the Hero's Guide for a reasonable price soon enough.

Darth Fierce :vader:

Jedi_Shadow
19 April 2006, 03:40 PM
To be honest, I hesitated on buying the D20 books too. (Die hard D6er.) But then I got one or two, and wow! The background information alone is great! So I started snatching up a bunch as I could find them, and as budgets permitted. Granted, I don't have much, but I think I got a lot of the best ones.

The Hero's Guide is a great buy, but I personally think that paying $60 or $70 for a single book is just too much. Good luck on the hunt.

IzVenjari
19 April 2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Darth Fierce
Seriously...I often see books such as the Hero's Guide, the Arms and Equipment Guide, and Power of the Jedi in retail book sellers or used book stores. It was no so long ago that the Starships of the Galaxy supplement was pretty common in the used book stores I haunt. And I know I've seen either Coruscant and the Core Worlds or Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds somewhere recently.

I concur - try some 2nd hand bookshops and browse the big retailers - there are often some hidden in between D&D books. :)

cheshire
20 April 2006, 05:01 AM
I think that's part of my problem, there aren't any really good second-hand dealers that trade in roleplaying items. There'a great place in Tulsa that sells all sorts of D6 and d20 materials. However, a two and a half hour drive is a bit much for me just to check the place periodically. :)

Darth_Vader2005
20 April 2006, 08:18 AM
My position is the same as that of Darth Fierce (maybe the dark side helps?) at my games store there are loads of d20 books at retail price, maybe a little higher.

cheshire
20 April 2006, 08:25 AM
Then perhaps geography is a big issue (or Dark-Side allignment). In the Wichita area, there's nothing. It makes me wonder if it's an issue of distribution or suply and demand in a given area.

Darth Fierce
20 April 2006, 09:20 AM
I think part of it that there's not a really big role-playing crowd in my area (Lawrence, KS) outside of the D&D enthusiasts. Thus, the stores in this locale are left with a bunch of SWRPG d20 stuff that sits gathering dust on the shelves. It's actually quite sad sometimes to go into one of the shops and see that no one has touched the Star Wars products for months.

Darth Fierce :vader:

DEFIANT
4 May 2006, 04:10 AM
I cant believe those prices...I bought my books as they came out and I am well glad my friends.

But the prices peolpe are willing to play makes me think about getting them online and selling the hard copies!! :)

Drendar Morevo
4 May 2006, 07:54 AM
If you'd rather go legit, they sometimes have copies of it on Noble Knight and if not there then try Hill Side Comics.

Yes, both are websites.

cheshire
4 May 2006, 08:21 AM
I placed an order at Hill Side a year ago and never got a book.

Drendar Morevo
4 May 2006, 09:54 AM
Funny thats where I got my DSSB (also around 8 months ago) so I have no reference.

cheshire
4 May 2006, 11:06 AM
Okay, I made a mistake, I placed an order with Hill CITY Comics, not Hill SIDE comics. Interesting, though, as I couldn't find a website for Hill Side Comics.

PneumaZ
4 May 2006, 11:24 AM
Weird. I'm really glad that I got my books as they came out. I missed a few but got L-U-C-K-Y with finding them at cover price.

I think the main reason why the fierfek books run so much is because they weren't a whole lot of them in general, then of course they are discontinued...it makes them that much harder to get. And we have to remember a lot of collectors probably have picked them up considering the books didnt have 25,000 copies or Mass Marketing.

They probably see them as the new 3.25" action figures. Small product line, hard to fine, discontinued (ergo there wont be more *hopefully* ever). Bastiches....

PneumaZ
9 May 2006, 11:08 AM
UPDATE: *I have been contacted and the book is en route. If I find any others I'll let you guys know*

I have found a copy if someone needs it. I can get it within ten bucks of cost...so if you need this, PM me and I'll see if I can get it. (its new, shrink wrapped, and untouched).

Pel
12 May 2006, 02:43 AM
It's probably none of my business and I'm certainly not a moderator, but I'm pretty sure any sort of "unofficial" mentioning or suggestions of illegal file sharing fly in the face of the user agreement for this forum.

Given how ardently our moderators have persued this in the past I'm surprised they let it slide on this topic. Anyway, I'm sure nobody wants to see legal wrath descend upon our beloved forum. To that effect, can everyone please refrain from advocating or mentioning any sort of file sharing, pirating, or P2P programs in posts or PMs?

FULONGAMER
12 May 2006, 02:45 PM
That said there IS a POC (not online) that can offer you retail priced copies of SWRPG Books (D6 and D20). They are a highly reputable game store in the Fayetteville/Ft. Bragg area, and are willing to work with gamers to deliver product worldwide.

For those who are looking for a very customer friendly source, able to access just about anything anywhere that was, is, or will be on the market, just contact these people:

The Hobbit
6111 A
Yadkin Rd.
Fayetteville NC 28303

(910) 864-3155

This is the premiere game shop in the Fayetteville/Ft. Bragg area and they are totally supportive of displaced gamers (even overseas).

Plus, they don't gouge or hike.

PsychoInfiltrator
12 May 2006, 04:01 PM
Plus, they don't gouge or hike.

They certainly won't go out of business for being customer friendly. :)

Must be gamers. ;)

(Or, more likely, must once have been broke gamers.)

Ardent
13 May 2006, 07:08 AM
They're still broke gamers, they just happen to support the habits of non-broke gamers in the military. ;)

My friend now owns a stake in a hobby shop. He makes just enough to pay for his apartment and food as a 25% owner of the place and works there two days a week. Which leaves him free to pursue his other passion...teaching high school (the income from which is just cream on top of the mug for him).

Ash DuQuennes
14 May 2006, 07:08 PM
Okay, I'll admit that I got into the d20 game late and didn't buy the books a when they were still in print, but this is getting a bit ridiculous. I finally got a bit of cash together and decided I would see what I could do about expanding my d20 collection. I've been trying to get my hands on the Hero's Guide, but it's going for $60 or $70 on Ebay. Some sucker just bought it for $100 on half.com.

I find it very odd that WotC couldn't make enough money off of these books if people are paying astronomical prices for them!

I think there's a copy of the Hero's Guide at my local game store. If you want, I'll look into it for you, and if there is a copy, I can pick it up for you and mail it to you (you pay cost and shipping up front, though).

cheshire
18 May 2006, 10:56 AM
Hey, thanks for the offer. PneumaZ had actually acquired a copy for me and I just got it (he was amazingly fast too). Thanks for your support!

PneumaZ
18 May 2006, 06:45 PM
Glad to help!!! I'm happy it got there a-ok and all is well. For 5 bucks above book value, the guy was really quite cool about it. If i run across any other book's i'll let you guys know.

stoic_75
20 May 2006, 02:17 PM
Really? That book is going for that much? I've seen at least two mixed in with the D&D stuff at Borders here in the city.

Andrew Simmons
30 May 2006, 05:51 AM
Just thought i'd jump in on this and say i'm appalled that you can't find the sw books you all require, us brits (well me and my club mainly) find it fairly easy getting star wars rpg books. A fellow gamer just bought 9 books off the internet and they came within 3 days.
If you're willing to have a go and email this particular site we get our books from, and find out how they get them so quick go to
WWW.gameslore.co.uk
They even do bulk discount deals.

Happy Hunting!!!

Moridin
12 June 2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Fandor Thamorrin
I did some searching on a file-sharing program I own *cough* Morpheus *cough* and I found Hero's Guide on it. I could probably send the file to you via PM...

I apparently missed this thread until now, but I'm going to take a moment to point out that any discussion of filesharing is a bannable offense. Frankly, the fact that you're talking about a book that I wrote only makes me more irritated.

Filesharing is illegal and a slap in the face to the people that worked hard to create copyrighted works. Pony up the cash and put forth the effort to buy a copy legitimately.

Jmacq1
12 June 2006, 10:25 AM
Not that I condone filesharing in any way, shape, or form (because I don't), but:

If he can't find the book at retail, and the only option for him is to purchase it is the secondary market where A: He's asked to pay hyperinflated prices and B: The book has already been purchased at retail, so the only person that's losing money on the deal is him, what's the difference if he downloads it, from a market perspective? In fact, the secondary market venue that's selling the book for 50-100 dollars is making a what....230 percent personal profit off of your work if it does indeed sell for $100? And all the work he put into it was buying it off the shelf in the first place. That just seems...stupid and wrong to me. I mean, who's the real "thief" here? :P (I know, I know, these are probably the kinds of arguments that go around endlessly when the topic of filesharing is put up).

I guess the key point I'd make is search hard for a copy at or below original retail price. Don't feed the scalping machine. I'm sure if you're patient, you'll eventually manage to find it.

Moridin
12 June 2006, 12:15 PM
Do not even try to make an argument for illegal filesharing. It's illegal and unethical.

Yeah, inflated prices suck for the buyer, but if someone's willing to pay $200 for a book I wrote, doesn't that mean that my own value as a writer has gone up? If the book is good enough to warrant those kinds of prices, why would I condone a practice that devalues my writing? It's supply and demand, and high secondhand prices means the demand also remains high, and such things can sometimes prompt other companies to give me better contracts or even do another print run.

cheshire
12 June 2006, 12:29 PM
It's more or less a moot point, anyway. There are a couple of users here that can obtain the book and are willing to sell it at a reasonable price.

True, on eBay and on other sites it's going for what I think is an unreasonable price. It's bothersome that suply and demand works that way, but in effect if the going price is higher than you're willing to pay, it just means that the general demand is higher than your own. Value is relative in a capitalist economy.

BTW, Mordrin, I wouldn't mind getting a PM indicating which sections of the book you've written. I'd just be curious.

SmugglerJedi
22 June 2006, 12:07 PM
Just out of curiosity (as I already have the <i>Hero's Guide</i>--great job, <b>Moridin</b>), is WotC going to do the PDF thing with <i>Star Wars RPG</i> like they're doing now with D&D? I've been seeing them gradually scan and move their D&D line over to electronic format (even if they <i>are</i> a bit pricey for a file--$40 for a PDF? C`mon), so will this translate into <i>Star Wars RPG</i> as well?

As for filesharing, it's unethical yet you can never legislate ethics, no matter how hard you try. I mean, just look at Bush... (whoops, sorry, no more politics.)

PneumaZ
22 June 2006, 12:22 PM
It seems to be a growing trend but as WotC is big dog on campus you may have a hard time convincing them to meet with other rpg's in PDF format like R. Talsorian, FASA, Palladium, or SJ Games. They can afford to make you buy cover value because the actual books seel fairly well.

As far as SW making it, i think that goes back to their license and the digital medium. Lucasarts has their fingers to tightly woven around that agreement to let them breathe a pdf through the cracks. I would say probably not unless someone renegotiates, and even then...its Lucasarts...they have a TON of money to say no so it doesnt hurt them any.

SmugglerJedi
22 June 2006, 06:48 PM
True, some very good points there. It's a shame. Hopefully someone over there has a heart, I mean, someone other than the Flanneled One. (I am, of course, working on the assumption that he's a nice guy, because I've never heard anything bad about him.)

PsychoInfiltrator
23 June 2006, 10:25 AM
because I've never heard anything bad about him.)

Right. OK.

As far as SW making it, i think that goes back to their license and the digital medium. Lucasarts has their fingers to tightly woven around that agreement to let them breathe a pdf through the cracks. I would say probably not unless someone renegotiates, and even then...its Lucasarts...they have a TON of money to say no so it doesnt hurt them any.

Can't we have soem optimism? Like say, how, so many people are willing to pay outrageous prices for books, that they must like it? Or that at least filesharing (me not condoning!) allows more people to play? Or how there is a chance that the SWRPG books will beocme .pdfs, regardless of what that chance actually is? Or how LucasArts had done good things in the past, and there's a chance they might do another one eventually?

PneumaZ
23 June 2006, 11:42 AM
Absolutely. But we all know that the stranglehold on the license right now makes it, at the very least, unlikely that something will change. But yeah, a reasonably rated PDF file that was legal and perhaps even new updates...i would give a pinky for (and thats a lot).

SmugglerJedi
23 June 2006, 04:22 PM
Another bad thing about pirated PDFs on P2P is that they're large, like over 100MB. For a guy with dialup, that simply isn't an option. Hopefully, the Star Wars PDF's will be around 4-6 megs, like the new D&D e-books.

And I mean, come <i>on</i>--isn't the majority of RPG done via e-books nowadays? Wizards can't resist this golden opportunity to make a bunch of moolah.