PDA

View Full Version : SW in 3D?

Pel
25 April 2006, 10:32 PM
I read in Time magazine some time ago that Lucas plans to release all the movies in 3 D complete with funny glasses. Has anyone heard anything more on this?

Salith
26 April 2006, 01:32 AM
They do have plans for this... getting the Star Wars newsletter is a good way to keep informed on things like that.

Bob Boop
26 April 2006, 04:33 AM
If they do it like Spy Kids 3 was done, it is going to be really stupid.

cheshire
26 April 2006, 06:25 AM
If they do it in 3D at all it's going to be really stupid.

Jastor
26 April 2006, 06:43 AM
Unless theyre planning to show this in thoose computer-controlled-visors 3d cinemas this is going to be a very bad idea.

Ubiqtorate
26 April 2006, 08:31 AM
How would they even do Star Wars in 3-D? Obviously it wasn't filmed in 3-D, but I've heard lately of a lot of things that weren't filmed in 3-D being shown in 3=D. Is there technology now that can extrapolate depth from a 2-D shot?

If Star Wars is shown in true 3-D, it could be really cool. If it's crappy 2-D with depth added in, it could be really lame.

boccelounge
26 April 2006, 01:40 PM
About a year ago, prior to the Epsiode III release, Lucas and McCallum announced this. There was also some press conference Lucas appeared at with Robert Rodriguez, Peter Jackson, James Cameron, Zemeckis, and a couple other directors to tout a new 3D method that allows existing films to be modified. I believe several new films have already been done this way (not Kong, coincidentally).

I haven't heard much about it since then, but the word was that GL is trying to revamp the Original Trilogy to 3D in time for the 2007 anniversary of ANH. I think the idea was to then theatrically re-release the films in the usual 4-5-6-1-2-3 order, one per year.

Ah, here's an article from last June:
http://www.flixnjoystix.com/index.php?p=425

Call it "yet another scheme to cash in on SW" if you will... I just look forward to any chance to see the films on the big screen. :D

Ubiqtorate
26 April 2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah, even if it is cashing in, I'll pay for one more go-around... for the original trilogy, that is. Even paying for the prequel DVDs makes me squirm a bit.

Pel
26 April 2006, 07:35 PM
Well, it's nice to know I didn't imagine that article.

Just think: in slightly over 1 year we can all see Jabba in 3 D ! 8o

king_watto
4 May 2006, 03:36 AM
I honestly think 3-D will ruin them. People will walk out of the theater saying, "Why did we pay that money?" If you've seen it in 2-D, whats going to be different in 3-D? I mean sure, TIE's flying at you, and energy bolts flying past your head, but will it really enhance your Star Wars experience? Or will it leave you feeling like you've just been robbed. If you ask me, they should put more time and money into the Star Wars TV series. Now thats AWSOME...

PneumaZ
4 May 2006, 05:58 AM
I dont know if i concur with that Watto...

I mean at the very least you get to see Star Wars on the big screen again (and thats always a good thing). The 3d could be just some icing. The real trick is making sure you can do so with the movies without causing a headache after some time. If they could do that I would gladly pay to see the movies in theatre's again. Nothing beats a big screen presentation.

But yeah, apparently this company took 10 minutes from A New Hope and ran it through their processor and was able to apply depth of field filters on the material and showed Lucas & co the clip - their jaws dropped. They said it was amazing, so much so that when IMAX approached them to do Ep3 in their theatre's Lucas would only do it if part of it could be 3D. IMAX said ok and then recanted later after they found out this 3rd party would be doing so.

But regardless....Star Wars...Big screen....studio seating...im sooo there.

boccelounge
4 May 2006, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by PneumaZ
But regardless....Star Wars...Big screen....studio seating...im sooo there.

Yup-- 'nuff said. :D

EDIT: OK, I'll say one more thing: The Devastator sliding down the screen -- in 3D -- that's going to RULE! ;)

Ubiqtorate
4 May 2006, 09:06 AM
I'm with Pneuma and bocce. 2-D, 3-D, $8, $20... any chance to see Star Wars on the big screen is worth taking a look at.

PneumaZ
4 May 2006, 11:18 AM
oh god, i didnt even think of the devistator going overhead at the beginning of Ep4....lol...*drools*

i was imagining the dog fight at the end of ep4 with wedge flying through tie fireballs and all that swooping through the canyon....

Vjerzag
4 May 2006, 11:21 PM
Wanna see Star Wars in 3D - go play Staw Wars Galaxies.