PDA

View Full Version : UNALTERED Star Wars OT on DVD - No Joke

S-Hershey
3 May 2006, 07:42 PM
News Flash!

They said it would never happen, but finally, the Star Wars Original UNALTERED Trilogy will be released on DVD....for a limited time only, of course.

Here's the announcement on Starwars.com:

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060503.html

n response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie, as well as the original theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. International release will follow on or about the same day. Each original theatrical version will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish for their U.S. release. International sound and subtitling vary by territory.

IzVenjari
3 May 2006, 08:00 PM
Heh - just in time to cash in on the Christmas rush - what's the bet they extend it until the 1st of Jan.

Not that i'm complaining of course - it'll be nice to watch Han shoot first on DVD :D

hisham
3 May 2006, 09:46 PM
About time too. My CAV laserdiscs are slowly getting thoses weird snow thingies.

Ubiqtorate
3 May 2006, 10:26 PM
When they say "as it first appeared in 1977", does that mean without the "A New Hope" subtitle? Of course, I keep hearing rumors that when Star Wars was first released it didn't even have the title scroll at all...

darth_wyld
4 May 2006, 01:00 AM
On this (http://comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14373) article they say it's the old crawl

cheshire
4 May 2006, 06:07 AM
This is way cool. I'm getting 'em. I've got my THX editions copied to DVD, though the quality is... well... you can imagine.

I think it's odd that they're issuing the 2004 and the original in the same package. I don't much like the idea of paying for something I already own. I'd also like to know what "attractively priced" means.

boccelounge
4 May 2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by cheshire
This is way cool. I'm getting 'em. I've got my THX editions copied to DVD, though the quality is... well... you can imagine.

Yes, I can-- I've got the same setup. ;)

Originally posted by cheshire
I think it's odd that they're issuing the 2004 and the original in the same package. I don't much like the idea of paying for something I already own.

I sympathize, but I LOVE the idea. In fact, I've held off buying the 2004 editions specifically in the hopes of getting a more "definitive version." When I saw what they did for the Aliens boxed set, I had high hopes that SW would take the same approach-- offering both versions in one package.

That's the best of both worlds, IMO-- there are things I like about both original and "special" versions, so now I'll have it all. Kudos to LFL.

Jastor
4 May 2006, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by hisham
About time too. My CAV laserdiscs are slowly getting thoses weird snow thingies.

I was under the impression that Star Wars on laserdisc was bootlegs and never officially released.

Ubiqtorate
4 May 2006, 09:07 AM
and yes, see Han Solo shoot first.

Well thank goodness for small miracles...

Pel
4 May 2006, 02:07 PM
Of course, I keep hearing rumors that when Star Wars was first released it didn't even have the title scroll at all...
It was there. I made my Mom sit through another showing just so I could read the text again. And see that ISD thundering across the screen...

dgswensen
4 May 2006, 05:00 PM
Finally, I can watch the OT again without cringing!

Pel
4 May 2006, 05:41 PM
The tag line is "See Han Solo shoot first."

Make of that what you like.

coldskier0320
4 May 2006, 05:47 PM
Did you see the T-shirt? :)

boccelounge
4 May 2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Jastor
I was under the impression that Star Wars on laserdisc was bootlegs and never officially released.

Oh no... Ep4 was in fact one of the first widely available laserdisc movies. Pretty much everyone I knew who bought a LD player (poor suckers) had the OT discs...

Now, bootleg copies of the original releases of DVD... no comment. ;)

Treefrog
4 May 2006, 08:53 PM
Treefrog dances..... dances..... dances...... in celebration

I knew he would cave! When 40,000+ sign the petition to have them put on DVD, I knew that he would finally cave to the original fans of the SW Trilogy.

While the SE versions had stuff I liked, I just never liked Haydn Christiansen in RotJ.... Or the altered dialog between the Emperor and Vader in ESB..... Or Han slightly moving his head as Greedo "shoots" first in ANH....

Call me a purist, but we can honestly say that the fans have spoken!

Now if we can only get Lucas to do Episodes VII - IX.....

Talon Razor 'GM'
4 May 2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Treefrog
Now if we can only get Lucas to do Episodes VII - IX..... [/B]

Man, are you kidding? Lucas, stay as far away from my Star Wars please! We saw what happened when he directs, look at the first three! He's admitted he doesn't like Star Wars and merely wants to make artistic films instead. No chance in hell we are getting the next three from him.

I'm not suprised to see this news, really. That's a lot of people clamoring for these DVDs and all those people have money. Lucas likes money, so it wasn't too hard to see this coming. :D

I know I'm buying three.

Pel
5 May 2006, 05:23 AM
I'll probably purchase them too. *sigh*

Already own them on VHS, VHS with THX, Laserdisc, and the "Georged" DVD set that came out last year.

Maybe after this the buying insanity will stop...

As far as continuing the series, I have no doubt it will happen. Too much talent and money involved for it not to. We just have to wait for Mr. Lucas to give somebody else the reins.

Jastor
5 May 2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Talon Razor 'GM'
[B]

Man, are you kidding? Lucas, stay as far away from my Star Wars please! We saw what happened when he directs, look at the first three! He's admitted he doesn't like Star Wars and merely wants to make artistic films instead. No chance in hell we are getting the next three from him.

Excuse me. "Your" Star Wars? George Lucas that owns the whole industry, not you.

boccelounge
5 May 2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Pel
Already own them on VHS, VHS with THX, Laserdisc, and the "Georged" DVD set that came out last year.

Maybe after this the buying insanity will stop...

No, it won't. These new "original cut" DVDs are due out this year, then "ANH 3D" is due next year, in time for the 30th anniversary. Each movie is then to be released in 3D format, one per year following... then there's the inevitable "6-disc boxed set," perhaps some expanded cuts of Episodes I-III... and by then, of course, the DVD format will likely be replaced by another, so we'll start all over again... well, you get the idea: there is ZERO chance this is the last version of SW you'll hve to buy... ;) :D

boccelounge
5 May 2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Jastor
Excuse me. "Your" Star Wars? George Lucas that owns the whole industry, not you.

Yeah, really. This idea that SW is somehow separable from Lucas utterly baffles me. But I dread getting into yet another insipid "EU vs. GL" debat-a-thon here... ;)

Treefrog
5 May 2006, 02:57 PM
Okay guys, let's not have a flame war over the whole EU debate thing.

All I know is that if its possible that he would change his mind on the Original Original Trilogy, then its a slim possibility that he'd change his mind on Episodes VII - IX....

Anything's possible......

boccelounge
5 May 2006, 04:28 PM
Okay guys, let's not have a flame war over the whole EU debate thing.

All I know is that if its possible that he would change his mind on the Original Original Trilogy, then its a slim possibility that he'd change his mind on Episodes VII - IX....

Anything's possible......

Hear hear. Well said, on both counts. :)

Faraer
5 May 2006, 05:58 PM
I'm happy that those that want those versions can have them on legal DVD, though I'm not interested myself. Let's remember that creators, usually authors, making tweaks to their work on republication is a common and normal thing, and that a demand existing for the original version is a very rare case. On one level, though, I'm disappointed that George didn't stick to his guns.

Talon: George has neither said he doesn't like Star Wars not that Star Wars isn't 'artistic films'. Your opinion of Episodes I–III is one thing, but don't attribute it to 'we', and don't attribute views and motives to people that you can't support.

Talon Razor 'GM'
5 May 2006, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Faraer
I'm happy that those that want those versions can have them on legal DVD, though I'm not interested myself. Let's remember that creators, usually authors, making tweaks to their work on republication is a common and normal thing, and that a demand existing for the original version is a very rare case. On one level, though, I'm disappointed that George didn't stick to his guns.

Talon: George has neither said he doesn't like Star Wars not that Star Wars isn't 'artistic films'. Your opinion of Episodes I–III is one thing, but don't attribute it to 'we', and don't attribute views and motives to people that you can't support.

George Lucas, when being interview about Star Wars, said he never really expected Star Wars to take off like it did and it has become a "monster" that he has to attend. He is very tired of making Star Wars films.

Plus, you guys know that he didn't totally direct the Original Trilogy, right? Steven Spielburg was on the set quite frequently giving Lucas tips. That's why he was excited about the next three Episodes I-III, the chance to direct his movies. The guy likes artistic movies, he has admitted that. Have you ever seen THX 1138? That's the kind of stuff he wants to do. He's not going to make another three. At least Lucas himself won't. Someone else, maybe.

Harrision Ford himself said that Lucas was a "diffcult" actor to work around. Ewan MacGregor HATED working on Star Wars projects. The guy just isn't any good working with actors. He's a great writer, a good visionary but I don't trust him with anymore movies.

Plus, don't be saying I'm going around saying the whole "Star Wars" fandom says this, because I'm not. :rolleyes:

Treefrog
6 May 2006, 05:45 AM
But that's just the point here. If GL thought that SW was too much a monster, then why did he do the Prequel Trilogy? If sounds too much to me like "cutting your nose off to spite your face." The fact is is that SW is big business that will allow him to do his "artsy" films. I know that I won't go to see them. I only want to see Star Wars films.

Episodes VII - IX need to be done, and GL not to direct them.

Faraer
6 May 2006, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Talon Razor 'GM'
He is very tired of making Star Wars films.Of course he is, after spending a continuous decade making them. That doesn't mean he doesn't like Star Wars, and his distinguishing of commercial blockbusters from the smaller avant garde films he wants to direct is not a distinction of artistic from non-artistic. Now you've misrepresented Euan MacGregor, too.
Plus, don't be saying I'm going around saying the whole "Star Wars" fandom says this, because I'm not. :rolleyes:You did just that in the third sentence of your first post.

Talon Razor 'GM'
6 May 2006, 12:20 PM
But that's just the point here. If GL thought that SW was too much a monster, then why did he do the Prequel Trilogy? If sounds too much to me like "cutting your nose off to spite your face." The fact is is that SW is big business that will allow him to do his "artsy" films. I know that I won't go to see them. I only want to see Star Wars films.

Episodes VII - IX need to be done, and GL not to direct them.

Yea...uh... that's pretty much what I was saying... :raised:

And Faraer, I'll find you those Ewan quotes. ;)

Faraer
6 May 2006, 11:11 PM
I've read them; and at least as many where he enthuses about the experience.

Fingon
7 May 2006, 05:10 PM
I was actually really suprised that the trilogy set the was released didn't have the option of 'origional release' and 'special edition' on them. Or that very little was changed fom the special edition (excpet for a couple of lights and Hayden Christianson). Now I know... we get to spend more money! Yay!

But, that said, I am pretty happy about this.

Thinithil
7 May 2006, 07:52 PM
Yeah, this is good news! I think the Dvd versions of the SE's are very good but I would like to have the originals in my collection as well. I'd still watch the SE's I think but every now and then I'm going to want to watch Han blow Greedo away. Good times...

Xain Arke
8 May 2006, 12:22 AM
on a related note, are they gonna release the prequel box set OR are they gonna release a combined box set and make us all buy yet ANOTHER version of the original movies?....

I think we all know what is more likely :D

still, good to see they sorta caved and gave the fans the original version of the OT on DVD [for a price :)]..I really felt for the Anakin Skywalker guy [sebastian shaw was it?] getting replaced in ROTJ by Hayden 'its all obi-wans fault' christensen. :)

Xain

Pel
8 May 2006, 07:00 AM
At least they left Mr. Shaw's name in the credits. Same with Clive Revell for the Emperor's visage in ESB. No sense depriving them of credit just because the "master vision" changes every few years. ;)

Thinithil
8 May 2006, 07:20 AM
I really hope that they do release some sort of super-saga-mega-all-in-one kit. I've seen many of the deleted scenes from new hopw in b;ack and white. I'd like to see them in color and context.

cheshire
9 May 2006, 05:39 AM
Where did you see them in black and white, Thinithil?

Thinithil
9 May 2006, 12:41 PM
On a cd-rom from around 1999 just before Phantom hit the screens. Head on over to ebay and try -- Star Wars Beyond the Magic. Two Cd's and worth it. Beautiful scene by scene breakdowns of the OT as well as some deleted scenes. Luke looking up and seeing space battle (B&W-no sound), Luke and Biggs walking through Anchorhead (B&W-sound), and an outake or rehearsal of Han's cantina meeting with Luke and Obi (B&W).