PDA

View Full Version : Question on Ties..

wolverine
10 May 2006, 10:25 PM
One of the newer people to be assigned editing of my modules for the Sparks group, has mentioned that the use of Tie interceptors and Tie Bombers is wrong for our timeframe (currently around 3-4 years prior to a new hope). Now i got from the main book, that the Interceptors were introduced shortly before yavin, but nothing on the bombers. SO when did they come out? And was there a Tie variant before hand that did the same job?

Garan
10 May 2006, 11:12 PM
TIE bomber was created shortly after Yavin as well, before that the Empire had the TIE/GT

http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/tiegtfighter/index.html

This link has stats for it, though I am not sure if they are right, since I don't have the AJ 10 :)

http://www.galacticempiredatabank.com/TIEGBomber.html

wolverine
11 May 2006, 12:13 AM
Thanks.

boccelounge
11 May 2006, 02:36 PM
wolverine, I always thought the story was that Vader's Ep4 TIE was one of the prototypes that eventually led to the TIE-Interceptor... is this no longer the "canon" history?

Garan
11 May 2006, 10:37 PM
It is canon, the "Squid" comes from Vaders TIE and is employed after Yavin, missread Wolvs post the first time. :/

Jedi_Shadow
11 May 2006, 11:16 PM
"Squid" or "Squint"?

Garan
12 May 2006, 12:20 AM
Squint :] sorry to early in the morning for me.

Pel
12 May 2006, 12:48 AM
The Interceptor was created as a foil for the X-wing, after it's devastating success at Yavin.

The bomber came along before that, replacing variants of the standard TIE. Interestingly enough, the bomber also had variants including a shuttlecraft.

wolverine
12 May 2006, 04:59 AM
But do you have a time (even to a year) that the bomber came out? While the Tie/GT will fill that need, it does have a lot of lacking for it, like 4 speed vice the 6 of the bomber, lesser sensors etc...

Garan
12 May 2006, 06:55 AM
I would make it the year of yavin as the ship was originally designed for the EP 4 film, but was first seen in ep 5.

Cha_man
13 May 2006, 01:44 AM
Alderaan is destroyed the week before 35:8:4, (SWAG 3, pg 33)
TIE/x2 ends field trials; will not be a production run (has hyperdrives etc) 36:1:13 (SWAG 5, pg 260)
production of squints noted to begin in about six months, wuith initial deliveries of squadrons beginning the next month. so, around 36:7:?
Report of battle of Hoth released on 38:6:9 (SWAG 14, pg 285)

Though there is a write up on TIEs in SWAG 10, it does not provide anything useful in the way of timelines

Personally, I'd put the bomber in the same production frame as the interceptor, since the Empire are already looking at upgrading it's forces and the bomber is the attack version of the interceptor.

wolverine
14 May 2006, 12:33 AM
Which kind of contradicts the Imp source book, which said bombers were 'released just before yavin, but not in full service until hoth era...

boccelounge
14 May 2006, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by wolverine
Which kind of contradicts the Imp source book, which said bombers were 'released just before yavin, but not in full service until hoth era...

FWIW, that's how I've always played it.