PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Tie

Darth_Xanthor
31 July 2006, 08:05 AM
After reading the list of "what is there to many off" i was wondering....what is everybodies favorite Tie fighter?

pilnick1944
31 July 2006, 08:40 AM
It's been a close call between TIE-Interceptor and TIE-Defender. Defender carried the day for me with it's shield generator and it's hyperspace-capability.

I wish it were originally thought up for RoTJ, so that the standard line craft of the Empire would have been the TIE-Interceptor, with the Defender filling in the empty spaces in between.

Fingon
31 July 2006, 09:31 AM
Ummm... where's the TIE Avenger? I like that one.

PsychoInfiltrator
31 July 2006, 09:56 AM
I voted TIE Defender just because, but I'd rather fly a Clawcraft.

Ravnor
31 July 2006, 02:11 PM
definatly the Tie hunter.

Rogue Trader
31 July 2006, 05:11 PM
The Scimitar assault bomber.

Followed closely by the TIE Defender.

Darth_Xanthor
1 August 2006, 07:39 AM
The Tie Advenger was just a slightly different model of the TIE Defender/Advanced...so i just lump them.

PsychoInfiltrator
1 August 2006, 09:13 AM
The Tie Advenger was just a slightly different model of the TIE Defender/Advanced...so i just lump them.

The Defender had 3 wings. The others two. The defender sported 4 laser cannons, 2 ion cannons, and a pair of multi-warhead launchers. The Advanced had twin lasers.

Doesn't that qualify as a different model?

pilnick1944
1 August 2006, 10:30 AM
Psych's right on this one. I just knew that there was something missing! Anyway, even with Advanced taken into account, it'd still be Defender followed by Interceptor for me.

pilnick1944
6 August 2006, 01:16 AM
I've just checked theforce.net again about the TIEs and...

the Interceptor is... (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/tie.html#tiei)

simply insane. 10 laser cannons! And it says these were the type used in the Battle of Endor. I don't have RotJ with me here, so I can't check that, but that'd make it top canonicity of those 10 guns, right? Creepy!

PsychoInfiltrator
6 August 2006, 05:17 PM
It's supposed to be 4+2, not 2+4, so it would only be 6. This is based on erroneous video games where the lazy designers put the guns in the wrong spot.

Anyway, more importantly:

The Star Wars Technical Commentaries are not, shall never be, and never were, canon in any sense of the word whatsoever. Amen.

Sorry for the mini-rant. While it's true that the books Mr. Saxon wrote are on one of the lower rungs of canon, the site is not, and the books are at the canon level where pretty much anything else that disagrees with them trumps. This would be one of those cases.

The Admiral
8 August 2006, 03:26 PM
Got to agree with Psych. Saxton is counting the four laser cannon, the four range-finder lasers and the two chins stubs where the standard TIE guns would be if the ball pod were on a standard TIE frame not an interceptor one. It only has four laser cannon.

Not to jump on the canon debate again, but SW: ICS are not Canon, they are Official. SWTC is Apocrypha.

I have to vote TIE Fighter. They're iconic, still the best looking TIE, plus they're the only ones that howl.

The Defender was plain silly, IMHO. Why would you design a TIE that can't use TIE racks? Thats aside from it being wholly opposed to the design philosphy of the TIE series.

PsychoInfiltrator
8 August 2006, 05:50 PM
The Defender was plain silly, IMHO. Why would you design a TIE that can't use TIE racks? Thats aside from it being wholly opposed to the design philosphy of the TIE series.

And wholly better, IMO.

On that note, i've reconsidered my vote, and if some kind moderator would change it from the TIE Defender to the Nsiss class Clawcraft, it'd be muchly appreciated.

coldskier0320
8 August 2006, 06:30 PM
I voted for the Interceptor. Not because it's technically superior. If thats what this thread was about, its a simple matter of looking at flight data and weapons and armor loadouts. But it asked for a favorite, and the interceptor is mine. It just looks mean and nasty in a way that even the Defender can't match, as it's too busy looking exotic to look mean...and it doesnt look like a TIE to me. Anyway, the Interceptor is also my fave because its pretty much the fighter that only the best TIE pilots could do well in. Lesser pilots lacked the skill and reflexes to put the craft to good use, and it's more fragile build ensured that only the best survived very long at all. This, I'd imagine, had the after effect of subconsciously telling alliance pilots that when they went up against squints, they were probably good pilots. Again reinforcing the sentiment that Interceptor = Mean! :D

Darth_Cassed
9 August 2006, 12:34 AM
Gotta say TIE Interceptor as well. Fast, agile, and just plain annoying. Few rebel pilots or craft can keep up with a well-trained Interceptor. Let's not even mention Baron Fel ;)

Darth_Xanthor
12 August 2006, 08:59 AM
I'm not a big Barron fan...personally...now Jagged...I think he's kinda kewl

Deacon Frost
12 August 2006, 10:46 AM
I have to go with the Interceptor. Simply from remembering my reaction when I first saw them on screen in RoTJ. Very, very cool.

Darth_Xanthor
22 August 2006, 10:08 AM
Pain in the ass to fight on the Rogue Squadron Games....especially in a speeder

That Blasted Samophlange
23 August 2006, 03:19 PM
I went with the clawcraft.. After all, it combines the coolness of the tie fighter, and the coolness of the x-wing.

Ronin
23 August 2006, 06:19 PM
Looks like I'm the only fan of the TIE Boarding Craft then! :)
I would've voted TIE/In or Interceptor, but with a lot of love for them already shown I went for another of my personal favourites. Firstly I love the idea of using the TIE Bomber's hull for other purposes, secondly I like the idea of latching on to an enemy ship, burning through the hull then spewing stormtroopers to capture it.

If only it was a little tougher though! :D

Darth_Xanthor
28 August 2006, 10:45 AM
Wow this trhead has alot more love to it then i though it would have

Emperor Xanderich II
31 August 2006, 02:47 PM
If someone said to me which TIE would I take to war, then it would have to be the Defender.

But...if I was flying a TIE at an "air" show then I'd definately pick the Interceptor, it just looks so good! It'd be like flying a Spitfire at one of our air shows - turn a few heads!

So my vote went for the Interceptor.

Iain Kysler, Jedi Apprentice
26 September 2006, 12:04 PM
Hey come on now! Where' the TIE Avenger? That one was left out! That's my favorite TIE of all time!

Darth_Xanthor
27 September 2006, 08:31 AM
as i mentioned earler....i thought they were virtually identical...i was wrong...i apologised...

Jedi_Master_Yelrahc
10 October 2006, 02:27 PM
If you guys can tell me what the Emperor's Royal Guard TIE/I is.

If that was out of the category I would say the Interceptor, or the Defender. Most likely the Defender, becuase it is a beast!!:)

Darth_Xanthor
10 October 2006, 04:28 PM
Click below to find out about the Emperor;s Royal Guard TIE/In

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Emperor%27s_Royal_Guard_TIE/I_starfighter

Jastor
6 November 2006, 02:05 AM
Im glad to see that my favorite TIE Interceptor is in the lead.

Jedi_Master_Yelrahc
13 November 2006, 07:13 AM
Defenders were probably one of the smartest concepts that the Empire created for warfare. For once the Empire was not thinking of quantity this time they were thinking of quality

MERC
13 December 2006, 09:33 AM
Closely followed by TIE Advanced and the basic TIE.

Another one you missed was the early T.I.E.

Newer heard of these before:
TIE HUNTER
TIE Oppressor
TIE Phantom
TIE Vanguard

tauchiss
6 January 2007, 03:32 PM
I had to go with the Chiss clawcraft. The chiss are definately the coolest race. :thrawn: :thrawn: :thrawn: :thrawn: :thrawn: :thrawn: Who doesn't love a super intelligent race with freaky red ees. Plus the Clawcraft look just plain awesome.

"you have to admire the Chiss, they don't just steal your technology-they make it better." Un-named Imperial engineer.