PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars TV series opinions

king_watto
2 August 2006, 12:28 AM
Ok, so lucasfilms announced that they are going to make a TV series. I think I heard it was going to be set in the Clone Wars between TCW and ROTS. Do you think once it has run, they will make them off some of the books? I personally think that 'Tales of Bounty Hunters' would be a good TV series, partially because they are short stories, and because they are perfect for an hour long TV show. What are your opinions?

Darth Fierce
2 August 2006, 04:59 AM
Well, rumor has it that the "live-action" TV show is going to be about Boba Fett...or, at the very least, Lucasfilm has said "about a certain bounty hunter."

Darth Fierce :vader:

IzVenjari
2 August 2006, 05:10 PM
That would be awesome.....but how old will Boba Fett be if it is going to be set in between TCW and RoTS.

Personally i was hoping it would be set between RoTS and ANH - with Mace Windu making random appearances... :D

Lucas Carr
2 August 2006, 11:43 PM
The last thing I heard there was going to be two TV series, one live action taking place between RotS and ANH and one animated that I think was going to take place during the Clone Wars. But I'm not sure on the last.

Darth Fierce
3 August 2006, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by IzVenjari
That would be awesome.....but how old will Boba Fett be if it is going to be set in between TCW and RoTS.

Personally i was hoping it would be set between RoTS and ANH

Last I heard, the "live-action" series is going to be between RotS and ANH. Thus, if the rumor is true regarding Fett, we probably won't have to worry too much about his age.

The cartoon series is supposed to be set between AotC and RotS....

Darth Fierce :vader:

Lucas Carr
3 August 2006, 10:37 AM
One rumor I've heard was that it was supposed to be something like the Young Indiana Jones show they did years ago. Perhaps Fett will take that role.

king_watto
5 August 2006, 02:15 AM
I think the live-action one of Boba Fett would be great. Is there any website anyone can find that can give info on it? :)

Keaton
6 August 2006, 08:23 AM
I think they are keeping things under wraps.....AKA it is faultering in some way and probably will end up being delayed. From what I heard Boba Fett is supposed to be a main character, a rumor I heard said that the boy who played Boba in AotC may reprise. Rumor though, no idea how much truth to it.

I myself would like to see the books done, even if they are TV movies. Love to see all the Tales books done as episodes. I think they would make for some good coloring of the background. But knowing what was done with episodes 1-3, some timeline will get screwed up.

Ravnor
6 August 2006, 01:58 PM
I think a live action series would ruin star wars to tell you the truth. I just can't see it being a sucess.

Keaton
6 August 2006, 06:34 PM
I think a live action series, if done right, would be awesome. It could give us a great view and lots of new background material for games. If done the slightest bit wrong........boy ole boy you would be right.....it would ruin it.

IzVenjari
6 August 2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Keaton
I think a live action series, if done right, would be awesome. It could give us a great view and lots of new background material for games. If done the slightest bit wrong........boy ole boy you would be right.....it would ruin it. Unfortunately it has more capacity for wrong than right....specially in the eys of us in the fanbase.

But man, it could be so kicka$$...:D

Keaton
6 August 2006, 09:07 PM
Well a lot, and I mean a LOT, is dependent upon who is involved in the process. IMO Rick McCallum is one of the worst and I mean the worst influences that has ever hit SW. To me he is to SW what Rick Berman is to Star Trek. A pale comparision of the original.

The worry I have is that GL will want it to be mysterious and surprising and will forsake all the rich history that has developed around SW over the years. Oh wait......he has already done that. I really hope it isn't ruined with a live action tv series, but only time will tell.

cheshire
7 August 2006, 07:56 AM
To be honest, I'd like to hear ANYTHING about it at the moment. The only thing that we heard about the content was shortly after ROTS, and that it would be between episodes III and IV, and feature some of the less epic characters. Then we heard it would be delayed.

I'd love to hear something about the casting, a hint about characters, or something. I mean, shouldn't they be trying to get us excited or something?

Keaton
7 August 2006, 04:02 PM
I would love to hear something too. I am kind of wondering if I heard something last night (which goes to another post of mine in this forum) on Cinemax. I am a little lost by it as I have't had time to investigate.

king_watto
8 August 2006, 12:07 AM
Yea. If it would be live action, I would want George Lucas directing them. I just wish he wasnt so DANG OLD!!!! :D :D It would be much better with him because he created everything in his mind and he knows how things should be done on the big screen (or your tiny television set). If someone else tried to do it, they might screw it up.

Ravnor
8 August 2006, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by king_watto
Yea. If it would be live action, I would want George Lucas directing them. I just wish he wasnt so DANG OLD!!!! :D :D It would be much better with him because he created everything in his mind and he knows how things should be done on the big screen (or your tiny television set). If someone else tried to do it, they might screw it up.

You do realise that other people directed ESB and ROTJ, don't you?

Corr Terek
9 August 2006, 10:01 AM
You do realise that other people directed ESB and ROTJ, don't you?

...And that good ol' George directed the last three films? Of which only RotS is any good, mainly because many of the most memorable scenes were done by Spielberg?

Lucas Carr
9 August 2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Corr Terek

...And that good ol' George directed the last three films? Of which only RotS is any good, mainly because many of the most memorable scenes were done by Spielberg?

Spielberg hasn't directed Star Wars.

PsychoInfiltrator
9 August 2006, 03:35 PM
Spielberg hasn't directed Star Wars.

Go buy the ROTS DVD and watch the bonus feature ont he making of ROTS. Corr may be exaggerating a *bit* but he ain't lying outright.

Keaton
9 August 2006, 04:02 PM
A New Hope had many fine actors that it would have been hard to have gone wrong directing. With Alec Guiness and Peter Cushing anchoring the cast, James Earl Jone providing the voice, Harrison Ford who would go on to become one of the greatest actors(IMO) of all time, how could you go wrong.

ESB and RotJ both had fantastic stories and great acting, neither directed by GL.

TPM, good story if taken as a stand alone. The acting was good but you had up and comers Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman, american steady Samuel Jackson, british greats Liam Neeson and Ian McDiarmid. The casts acting could overcome the shortfalls in directing.

Then comes AotC (my least favorite, only watched it twice.....cant stay awake thru it anymore than that). I believe the poor direction of this film coupled with a weak story and forced attraction between the movie's two love interests is what killed it for me. I do not think it was the actors fault as they have clearly come into their own over the years (Ewan McGregor being the lone exception to my critisism as his time while to brief on screen was the better part of the movie (IMO)).

I believe that Anakin's whining was a direct result of poor directing. Hayden Christensen had shown great potential in his prior work and has come into his own after this movie. I believe that it was the directors failure that the sceens with Anakin and Padme felt forced, and that his on screen whining left me feeling he was just a spoiled crybaby.

In RotS I still felt that the sceens with Padme and Anakin were forced, I never really saw a connection between the two of them. Now Anakin and Obi-Wan's interaction I though was great. The two had obvious chemistry and worked well together on screen.

I guess what I am getting at is that I feel that if he had given up the directors chair in AotC and RotS the movies would have flowed smoother. While I feel that GL is a great story teller and movie maker, I do not believe he is one of the best directors in hollywood. I think his talents lie in telling and setting up the story, let others draw out the performances.

And as far as GL knowing what the Star Wars vision is......well with the EU (books, comics, SW-RPG, etc) it has truly grown beyond one mans vision. It belongs to us the fans now as much as it belongs to him. Hence why we write our stories, lay out our games, and enjoy this world he so kindly created for us. I do not think he is the best person to oversee a TV series. I think a lot of people should be involved, mainly those that have expanded upon what he has given us.

I know this post will probably get flamed, but these are my opinions (and hopefully not too out of place). If you disagree that is fine, but don't send hate posts.

Whooooo.........now that was a mouthful huh. :D

PsychoInfiltrator
9 August 2006, 04:13 PM
A New Hope had many fine actors that it would have been hard to have gone wrong directing. With Alec Guiness and Peter Cushing anchoring the cast, James Earl Jone providing the voice, Harrison Ford who would go on to become one of the greatest actors(IMO) of all time, how could you go wrong.

By firing any and all of the above? That's about it.

ESB and RotJ both had fantastic stories and great acting, neither directed by GL.

Oui, IMO.

TPM, good story if taken as a stand alone. The acting was good but you had up and comers Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman, american steady Samuel Jackson, british greats Liam Neeson and Ian McDiarmid. The casts acting could overcome the shortfalls in directing.

Again, I agree.

I believe that Anakin's whining was a direct result of poor directing. Hayden Christensen had shown great potential in his prior work and has come into his own after this movie. I believe that it was the directors failure that the sceens with Anakin and Padme felt forced, and that his on screen whining left me feeling he was just a spoiled crybaby.

Totally.

I guess what I am getting at is that I feel that if he had given up the directors chair in AotC and RotS the movies would have flowed smoother. While I feel that GL is a great story teller and movie maker, I do not believe he is one of the best directors in hollywood. I think his talents lie in telling and setting up the story, let others draw out the performances.

And as far as GL knowing what the Star Wars vision is......well with the EU (books, comics, SW-RPG, etc) it has truly grown beyond one mans vision. It belongs to us the fans now as much as it belongs to him. Hence why we write our stories, lay out our games, and enjoy this world he so kindly created for us. I do not think he is the best person to oversee a TV series. I think a lot of people should be involved, mainly those that have expanded upon what he has given us.

Very much so, IMO.

I know this post will probably get flamed, but these are my opinions (and hopefully not too out of place). If you disagree that is fine, but don't send hate posts.

Flamed? This is the Holonet. Half of us don't know how to flame. You shouldn't get flamed. Perhaps some disagreement, but no flaming. (which was the point of most of this post.)

IzVenjari
9 August 2006, 04:18 PM
Oh - i wanted to flame so bad :rolleyes: - nah - just kidding :D

I agree with most of your thoughts keaton - i personally felt that while Natalie Portman is pleasantly hot, she didn't really fit the role in the second and third movies. Hayden Christiansen (sp?) was great in Episode III i thought - and his whining was to be expected throughout - he is Luke's father after all :D

Keaton
9 August 2006, 04:27 PM
Well I have been over on the SWG forums for a while......got to get used to sensible replies again. :D :P

Disagreement I can deal with, senseless flaming no. LOL

As far as Anakin's whining though.....it could have been handled better I think. A great director could have pulled the feel out of the actor and made it more memorable than "he is a big cry baby". And the lack of chemistry.....dear god it was horrible. I just never could get the feel that the two were in love.

And as far as Natalie Portman.......oh yeah :D ......hot ain't even the word I would use.

Corr Terek
16 August 2006, 12:51 PM
Go buy the ROTS DVD and watch the bonus feature ont he making of ROTS. Corr may be exaggerating a *bit* but he ain't lying outright.

You'll notice I never said he *directed* Star Wars, heh. Certain point of view and all that. Thanks for the assist, Psych.

As for Natalie Portman, frankly I think they'd have done better to reverse her and Kiera Knightley's roles in TPM and gone from there. Kiera seems more "royal", methinks. And is much more attractive.

IzVenjari
16 August 2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Corr Terek
As for Natalie Portman, frankly I think they'd have done better to reverse her and Kiera Knightley's roles in TPM and gone from there. Kiera seems more "royal", methinks. And is much more attractive. Personally, i think they should have cast Angelina Jolie as Amidala - she's far too old, and not particularly royal - but most of the fanboys out there would have been happy - :P me included

Or Jessica Alba - yeah, that would have been great...

Sorry - completely off topic - my apologies :rolleyes:

Keaton
16 August 2006, 06:51 PM
Interestng.....Angelina Jolie as Amidala. Only problem with that is Hayden would never have had a chance with her. Way out of his league. LOL

Jessica Albe would have been an interesting choice too. I think Kiera Knightly would have been a better choice though. Something about it seems to have spelled a little more chemistry.

IzVenjari
16 August 2006, 06:57 PM
Maybe they can weave Jessica Alba into the tv series somehow...:D - and maybe Kiera Knightley (just with a few more pounds) :rolleyes:

cheshire
17 August 2006, 08:54 AM
How about the Olsen twins as Amidala and her decoy?

*ducks and runs in a serpentine manner to avoid incomming fire*

wolverine
17 August 2006, 06:39 PM
*not realising the cubby he ducks into is mined!!!*

Keaton
17 August 2006, 08:37 PM
oooooh mined cubby. lol Haven't seen anyone duck into that into a long time. Last guy...............well we only found residue. :D

IzVenjari
17 August 2006, 10:30 PM
*watches mined cubby explode in a shower of shredded paper*

....and that's the end of that then...:D :D

I think maybe we should start a poll - who do we want as the hot chicks in the SW series? :P :rolleyes: :D

That Blasted Samophlange
21 August 2006, 03:25 AM
*watches mined cubby explode in a shower of shredded paper*

Wait.. was cheshire made out of paper mache?:?

Wedge in Red2
21 August 2006, 03:59 AM
To quote Pops from the trench run in ANH:
"Stay on target... stay on target"

That is to say, enough of the cubby comments :). Lets keep the discussion on the TV series.

Jon

Ravnor
21 August 2006, 01:56 PM
(looks at the remains of Cheshire) leave some for me next time.

Anyway, what about the exact time period? I think that a good time to set the series would be shortly after the Truce at Bakura, and before the Thrawn trilogy. Anyone got any better suggestions?

IzVenjari
21 August 2006, 03:57 PM
I think the current rumour is that the live action series will be set between RotS and ANH..

If the main character is going to be Boba Fett - fingers crossed - then not too long after RotS would be good - track him from his mid-teens or something..

Ravnor
21 August 2006, 04:40 PM
I think that one of the main problems by using Bobba Fett as the main character would be that he could lean too far towards the 'hero' aspect of his personality. Does anyone else think differently?

boccelounge
21 August 2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Ravnor
I think that one of the main problems by using Bobba Fett as the main character would be that he could lean too far towards the 'hero' aspect of his personality. Does anyone else think differently?

That's a good point-- I agree that Fett plays much better as an antagonist.

That said, it would be pretty massively cool to have the Fett as a recurring villain. I'd love to see his early career, as seen in his occasional run-ins with the protagonist.

THAT said, who would be the perfect protagonist, IMO? None could be finer than THE MAN (Works Every Time) (http://www.swg1.net/encyclo/images/billy-dee-williams.jpg).

;)

IzVenjari
21 August 2006, 05:20 PM
I think that one of the main problems by using Bobba Fett as the main character would be that he could lean too far towards the 'hero' aspect of his personality. Does anyone else think differently? Hmmm...yeah he could do that - i would be interested in his character development - how he developed his sense of morality - almost amoral but not quite - and it would be interesting to pit him against the likes of Lando...

However, when has anything SW-movie related stuck to the EU continuity - so if Boba is the main character he would probably turn out completely different than we know him

Keaton
21 August 2006, 08:02 PM
He would almost assuredly would end up differently. With the way Lucas likes to try and "surprise" people and keep what he is doing under wraps, he would most likely change everything we know about the most feared hunter in the galaxy. He has already rearranged Boba's EU history once for his own purposes. I would prefer to see the series set post RotJ. It would be great to see a kick off of the tv series with The Truce of Bakura. Say do it as a mini-series to kick things off. You can use the original cast, this is true......but you could recast. Have the tv series span the EU books. Each episode could be several chapters of the book. Have stops along the way for mini-series, such as the Thrawn Trilogy. March it right up to the NJO, if the series can last that long.

Ravnor
21 August 2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by IzVenjari
However, when has anything SW-movie related stuck to the EU continuity - so if Boba is the main character he would probably turn out completely different than we know him

It could be different from that, he could become more and more like the character we know throught the series. Kind of like Big Boss in MGS.

Originally posted by Keaton
You can use the original cast, this is true......but you could recast.

I can't see Lucas doing that, it would ruin the image of the first trilogy... still, who do you think they would cast as Mara Jade :D

Darth_Xanthor
20 September 2006, 07:14 AM
What I would really want in the live TV series would be the inquisitors,

They make sense and would be a nice addition.

Ravnor
20 September 2006, 07:17 AM
I agree with that, the inquisitors and Ishard as the main villan (appart from Vader or Plapy of corse).

Keaton
20 September 2006, 11:13 AM
Ishard and the Inquisitors wouldn't be a bad idea. I just hope that what ever is done doesn't kill or warp anymore of the established history. As for Mara Jade.......Alicia Witt comes to mind for some reason. Think it is the firey redhead thing. LOL

MikeLynch
22 September 2006, 09:44 AM
So apparently nobody else heard the latest rumor...

Somebody briefly interviewed Edward Furlong recently, asking him what was next in his career (apparently he still has one), and one of the things he mentioned was "and maybe the Star Wars TV series, man." (Quote approximated.)

The wife and I debated Edward Furlong's inclusion in SWdom, and agreed that it might not be a bad thing. He's got edge, and he didn't totally ruin Terminator 2 -- plus he's older now and likely to be far less annoying.

If true, this also puts to rest rumors that the show is not being worked on.

Zak'irek
23 September 2006, 08:37 AM
Okay, I'm not sure how relieble this source is.

I am currently attending an acting school (graduating year, thank you very mutch. wherte is the bowing smilie?)

Aparently, a guy I went to school with who graduated two years ago, has been employed to be a stunt double on the tv series. again, I haven't been able to talk to him and ask. But he is a veritable Ninja. and would make a very good Mace windu type. ;) :twilek:

boccelounge
23 September 2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Zak'irek
Okay, I'm not sure how relieble this source is.

I am currently attending an acting school (graduating year, thank you very mutch. wherte is the bowing smilie?)

Aparently, a guy I went to school with who graduated two years ago, has been employed to be a stunt double on the tv series. again, I haven't been able to talk to him and ask. But he is a veritable Ninja. and would make a very good Mace windu type. ;) :twilek:

Psshaw... reliable, schmiable. I will now spend my time spreading the rumor that the forthcoming SW TV series a) is actually forthcoming, and b) will include ninjas.

Star Wars Ninjas! Woo-hoo!!!

:D

stoic_75
6 October 2006, 05:17 PM
That settles that. No live action, no cameos. Just an ordinary cartoon show but with 3D effects. At best, it's Transformers Beast Wars. At worst, Voltron 3D.

LOS ANGELES - The wars aren't over for "Star Wars" creator George Lucas.

Lucas said Wednesday he's making an animated TV series of "Clone Wars" that could air next year, although he hasn't sold the show to a network yet.

The series is set during the time when the Republic is fighting a civil war against separatists led by Count Dooku.

The mythic period hasn't been dealt with too much in the popular "Star Wars" movies, so "it's a fun place to go," Lucas said.

"It basically has all the main characters" such as Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, Lucas said, but the stars who played them in the movies won't voice them for the TV show.

"There's nobody famous," Lucas told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

The show is planned as a continuation of the Emmy-winning "Clone Wars" that aired in 25 episodes on the Cartoon Network from 2003 to 2005. That series used limited animation. The new version will use 3-D computer graphics.

It's one of many projects being pursued by Lucas, including a fourth "Indiana Jones" movie.

"We're working on it. We haven't agreed on a script yet," Lucas said.

boccelounge
6 October 2006, 05:49 PM
No, stoic, there's nothing here that kills the live-action show. They've been saying for quite some time that the cartoon would come first.

I think we can hold out a little hope yet...

And I think there's a misconception regarding the "3-D" nature of the animated series. I think the implication is that it'll look more like the Clone Wars season 2, not "Transformers," or whatever.

Maybe some didn't notice, but the 1st CW season was traditional 2-D animation, but the 2nd season used a lot of 3-D models-- the clone trooper transport in the first episode is a good example, as are all the space battles. The BEST example is the ending fight between Grievous, Shaak-Ti, et al. in the train station. That was a pretty neat example of combining 3-D environments with a "2-D cartoon" look.

As I say, I don't know this for certain, but given what they're saying about it, I highly suspect this is the kind of "3-D" they're talking about.

EDIT: Now, about those Space Ninjas... :D

MikeLynch
9 October 2006, 11:24 AM
IIRC some bits of CW Season 1 were also CG, like Anakin's starfighter swooping away from Padme in the very first installment.

But the real reason I'm posting:

"None of the Skywalker story, none of that stuff is in there," he explained, shooting down any depiction of a young Han Solo acquiring the Millennium Falcon or running with Lando Calrissian. "It's completely different. The animated series has got all the characters in it. The one that comes after, the live-action one, is with people who were in 'Star Wars,' but they're not the main characters."

Lucas said the plot will be steered by characters such as Tie-Fighter or Rebel pilots, most only briefly glimpsed in the six "Star Wars" films.

Intriguing...

(Source, by the way, is an MTV article.)

Jame
17 October 2006, 02:28 AM
I'll happily watch whatever they put on

SO LONG AS THEY DO NOT PUT IT ON CABLE.

They need to start respecting those who can only afford non-cable TV.

wolverine
17 October 2006, 11:59 PM
The one that comes after, the live-action one, is with people who were in 'Star Wars,' but they're not the main characters."

Lucas said the plot will be steered by characters such as Tie-Fighter or Rebel pilots, most only briefly glimpsed in the six "Star Wars" films

Cool. I wonder if they might do like a "band of brothers" style show, at first, centering on a group of rebel recruits, going through boot camp, training, then later on, ending with them fighting the Hoth retreat.
or a CSI: style one for the imperials (intelligence)..

boccelounge
18 October 2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by wolverine
Cool. I wonder if they might do like a "band of brothers" style show, at first, centering on a group of rebel recruits, going through boot camp, training, then later on, ending with them fighting the Hoth retreat.

I can't begin to tell you how absolutely, deeply, emphatically, extraordinarily, prodigiously, profoundly, surpassingly, vastly, wonderfully happy that would make me. I could die a fulfilled man.

:D

wolverine
19 October 2006, 04:07 AM
SO that was a good idea then..??:D :D

schnarre
29 October 2006, 06:18 PM
Hopefully it'll be available for those of us who can't afford cable or satellite, but we'll see whenever it gets underway.

Darth Iurus
30 October 2006, 11:35 PM
The only opinion I've formed so far of the upcoming show is that when I found out Christensen is probably going to be too busy to play Vader, I almost jumped for joy.