PDA

View Full Version : This party's over.

Wedge in Red2
19 August 2006, 11:51 AM
Just kidding!

Howdy people,

As some of you may have noticed from the SWRPGNetworks forum, there has been a moderator reshuffle. I'm moving over here to Rumours* and Speculation to take the reins. So, yeah, er, nice to be here! I'm sure we'll get along just fine, and I look forward to chatting with you fine folk.

Cheers,

Jon

* Okay, so I'm actually a New Zealander, not English, but we spell rumour with two u's, and I'm sticking to my guns on that one :).

Lucas Carr
19 August 2006, 12:27 PM
So what Rumors and Speculations can we form about our new moderator? ;)

Ardent
19 August 2006, 12:34 PM
I hear he's a ladies' man. *rumormongers*

Rostek
19 August 2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Ardent
I hear he's a ladies' man. *rumormongers*

And a drunk, whose conversational manner gets progressively more lascivious as the night goes on...

:P

Wedge in Red2
19 August 2006, 01:10 PM
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Um, big rumours about me are that in the next month I am travelling Europe (Spain, Italy, Egypt*, Greece), before returning to New Zealand. That's the biggest rumour I can think of.

And in terms of a ladies man, I think only the lady I am currently at home with could comment on that ;).

Jon

* Yes, I know Egypt is not technically in Europe. But it's very close.

IzVenjari
20 August 2006, 03:14 PM
A New Zealander eh?

Awesome - we seem to be quite well-represented here on the boards.

Oh yeah - and that being said - i have complete confidence in your ability to quash rumours and stuff..:D

PsychoInfiltrator
20 August 2006, 04:36 PM
Oh yeah - and that being said - I have complete confidence in your ability to quash rumours and stuff...

Does this mean that you're gonna fix this forum's name? It's the most annoying blatant spelling mistake on the whole of the Holonet.

(Canada is underrepresented on the boards, but over-represented in the higher rank-echelons, btw.)

Ardent
20 August 2006, 06:20 PM
Since when is Canada overrepresented in anything except moose population? *skeptical look*

Actually, we did comment amongst ourselves the other day that this board is administered by Imperials but moderated entirely by Rebels and scoundrels. Who's propagandising now, baby?!

But I'm curious; unless I'm mistaken, of the new moderators all are American or, in Ronin's case, crazy Gaijin.

boccelounge
20 August 2006, 06:31 PM
But I'm curious; unless I'm mistaken, of the new moderators all are American or, in Ronin's case, crazy Gaijin.

Well, cold's from the hill country of Pittsburgh... that's almost America...

p.s.: GO BROWNS (http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/)!

Wedge in Red2
21 August 2006, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by PsychoInfiltrator

Does this mean that you're gonna fix this forum's name? It's the most annoying blatant spelling mistake on the whole of the Holonet.

Hmmm. While I wish I had (to quote Palpatine) "unlimited power", unfortunately I think changing the board name is beyond me. I can have a word to the admins about it...

Jon

darth_wyld
21 August 2006, 04:57 AM
Save the minorities! I demand a name change to:

Gerüchte und Spekualtionen!

Verily Yay! Rumours is written with an umlaut!

Uron Teff
21 August 2006, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by darth_wyld
Save the minorities! I demand a name change to:

Gerüchte und Spekualtionen!

Verily Yay! Rumours is written with an umlaut!

I second this motion. Long live the UMLAUT!

Wedge in Red2
21 August 2006, 06:36 AM
Help! The Germans are invading!

Okay, so given that the main language used here is English, I guess we're only really discussing the use of UK or American English. But that's for the input, darth_wyld and Uron Teff.

As a side note, do you guys read the holonet in English? Or use some sort of translation program? In fact, is there a translation option on the Holonet? I have a feeling there might be...

Edit: Yeah, there is a drop down translation box. Nifty!

Er, anyway, I guess we're getting a bit off topic here. Not that this thread really has a topic, other than "I'm the new moderator". So...

Jon

darth_wyld
21 August 2006, 06:42 AM
As a side note, do you guys read the holonet in English? Or use some sort of translation program? In fact, is there a translation option on the Holonet? I have a feeling there might be...

No, most of the time I use those bablefishoid programs to get a good laugh... take a german story, translate it to english and then back and forth and read all four stages... can be very funny... :D

No, I use only my brain for translation (and online dictionaries ;) )

PsychoInfiltrator
21 August 2006, 07:29 AM
Since when is Canada overrepresented in anything except moose population? *skeptical look*

Well, let's see...Canada has 33-34 million people, and as high-ranking active non-mods we have TJR and myself.

The US has...almost 300 million. So for every me or TJR, there should be 9 or 10 American active non-mods on the Holonet. I don't think that (with so many non-mods going mod on us) there are 20 active high-ranking non-mods period. I could be wrong, depending on the definition of 'active.' As for active rankers including those who also happen to be mods-I still think that we are overrepped. Of course, nowhere near as much as New Zealand, but still.

Hmmm. While I wish I had (to quote Palpatine) "unlimited power", unfortunately I think changing the board name is beyond me. I can have a word to the admins about it...

Jon

Anything's appreciated. :)

Psych

Ardent
21 August 2006, 08:56 AM
Well, let's see...Canada has 33-34 million people, and as high-ranking active non-mods we have [b]TJR and myself.

The US has...almost 300 million. So for every me or TJR, there should be 9 or 10 American active non-mods on the Holonet. I don't think that (with so many non-mods going mod on us) there are 20 active high-ranking non-mods period. I could be wrong, depending on the definition of 'active.' As for active rankers including those who also happen to be mods-I still think that we are overrepped. Of course, nowhere near as much as New Zealand, but still./B]
We're too busy preparing to conquer Canada to make a zillion posts!

Just kidding.

PsychoInfiltrator
21 August 2006, 12:18 PM
We're too busy preparing to conquer Canada to make a zillion posts!

Just because I have lots of time in the summer and this site is more interesting than homework (you can take that as a compliment, Moridin,) doesn't mean I make zillions of posts!

(Hmmmm...wonder when Uron's ppd will be noticed...)

PS: I skipped the nationalist jokes in this post simply to try and bring back a sense of seriousness to this thread. Not like I'm (or ever would) flip out on a moderator for cracking jokes, but the exuberance of Holonetters all over the Holonet in the last couple days is astounding.

IzVenjari
21 August 2006, 12:30 PM
PS: I skipped the nationalist jokes in this post simply to try and bring back a sense of seriousness to this thread. Not like I'm (or ever would) flip out on a moderator for cracking jokes, but the exuberance of Holonetters all over the Holonet in the last couple days is astounding. We're all trying to catch up to you Psych :P

Master Dao Rin
21 August 2006, 04:06 PM

You forgot beer. :D Don't ever forget the nectar of the gods.

PsychoInfiltrator
21 August 2006, 04:14 PM
We're all trying to catch up to you Psych :P

Most of you had a big head start. And Uron still has a bigger ppd than I.

(If I were trying to catch up to somebody, it would be Ronin, fyi. Gimme two/three years. If you want tonnes of posts, do tonnes of roleplaying.)

Wedge in Red2
21 August 2006, 11:44 PM
A friendly reminder that post count, and posts per day, are not a competition. And excess posts that are deemed to be deliberately for the purpose of inflating your post count will be deleted and will earn you a warning.

Cheers,

Jon

Uron Teff
22 August 2006, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Wedge in Red2
A friendly reminder that post count, and posts per day, are not a competition. And excess posts that are deemed to be deliberately for the purpose of inflating your post count will be deleted and will earn you a warning.

Cheers,

Jon

Does this mean, my post per day count will decrease? Nooo...

But seriously. A rank badage or a post per day count does not give you the same reputation as being a great contributor to the holonet in the various Forums.

Just a thought from a guy with a too high ppd count...

Wedge in Red2
22 August 2006, 01:09 AM
it was probably before your time, but there used to be a rating system, where you could rate the other holonetters on a scale of 1-5 based on how friendly, constructive and the like they were. So, if you thought someone was the bees knees, you could give them a 5. Your average rating then displayed up near your rank bage. So if you had 3 rankings (a 4 and two 5's) you'd have a rating of 4.7.

Unfortunately, it seemed to turn into a bit of a popularity contest, and the rating system was scrapped (it also resulted in a few people creating duplicate accounts to give each other 5's). I think it was good, though, in that it encouraged people to act in a manner that would earn them a good rating. For example, telling newbies where they should go to find the FAQ, or pointing people towards old threads that had discussed what they were talking about...

Anyway, this thread has about run it's course, so I'm going to close it shortly (unless anyone has anything else important to say).

Cheers,

Jon

SmugglerJedi
22 August 2006, 09:55 AM
Well, congratulations on your reassignment, even if I'm not in this forum very much. So hopefully, you won't have to deal with me too much. Cheers!

PsychoInfiltrator
22 August 2006, 10:07 AM
But seriously. A rank badage or a post per day count does not give you the same reputation as being a great contributor to the holonet in the various Forums.

As another person often (especially recently) being chided for a high ppd, I'd like to give hearty agreement to this statement. Nine or ten months ago I definitely wasn't on anybody's good-buddy list, (I still don't fully understand why Ronin gave me a spot in the 22nd,) and my ppd, rank, and post count were skyhigh for my period on the forums.

It's been a long road, trying to my posting, and working issues out, and I don't think I'm quite done yet, but I'm a lot better off than I was.

(Sorry, Wedge in Red2, but I felt this had to be said. Delete this post if you disagree, and there will be no complaints.