PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting started

cheshire
25 August 2006, 05:31 AM
My wife and I were talking yesterday about investing in a new game, and the Star Wars miniatures came up. We're interested, but not about ready to buy yet. We've got a few questions, and I'm hoping you guys can help us out.

First, I've only seen the RotS starter set, are there alternative starter sets as well?

Second, does the starter set have enough for two to play, or just one? If just one, could we expand it to two people by bying an expansion pack or two, or is that just impractical?

Thrid, we've played Epic Duels, and very much enjoy the game. Is it a similar experience?

And finally, we've been into a customizable card game before and enjoyed it for a while. Unfortunately after we started playing it with other people there seemed to be a need to keep on buying new cards. More powerful cards would come out with the next series and if you were going to play you had to keep on buying. It was turning into cardbaord crack and so we quit. Are we going ot meet the same frustration with the minis game?

Elvenshae
25 August 2006, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by cheshire
First, I've only seen the RotS starter set, are there alternative starter sets as well?

There are, but they're out of print and somewhat unavailable (though you can still find one occasionally, and eBay's got just about everything available).

Second, does the starter set have enough for two to play, or just one? If just one, could we expand it to two people by bying an expansion pack or two, or is that just impractical?

The RotS starter set is, from what I've heard, the least "playable" starter set. It comes with 6 minis: General Greivous, two Super Battle Droids, Obi-wan Kenobi, and two Clone troopers. The original starter - Rebel Storm - came with Luke, Darth Vader, and 8 or 10 other random minis.

The match-up heavily favors Obi-wan.

What the RotS starter really gives you, however, is an excellent map and an actual rulebook. Following that, a couple boosters should give you enough to start playing with.

Thrid, we've played Epic Duels, and very much enjoy the game. Is it a similar experience?

I haven't played it, so I can't comment.

Are we going ot meet the same frustration with the minis game? [/B]

Maybe?

WotC has done a good job, IMO, of keeping the sets balanced - good pieces are scattered throughout all of them, and it is very rare that a piece completely replaces an earlier piece (e.g., the newer version of Bossk is arguably a better piece, but he costs more to play, too, creating a viable trade-off).

That being said, I've spent a little more than $150 on the game (over, say, two years), and I have more than enough minis to create a huge number of squads. The trick is the secondary market, where the cannon-fodder pieces (the ones you usually need in large numbers) can be bough for $0.08 - $0.75 each, and the ultra-rares rarely cost more than $20.

Moreover, if you're just interested in friendly games with your wife and friends, you aren't going to need the really, really expensive chase pieces (like Grand Admiral Thrawn, Aurra Sing, etc.), because you aren't going to be competing in the ultra-competitive league.

My wife and I can still play an extremely fun game using basic clones, stormtroopers, and a couple interesting commanders.

EDIT: Also, there's the issue of Factions. I believe, in the card game, there were two: light and dark.

In the minis game, there are .. 10?: Imperials, Rebels, Old Republic (KotOR-era), Sith (KotOR-era), Republic (Episode 1-3), Separatist, New Republic (Post-movies), Yuuzhan Vong, Fringe, and Mandalorian.

Fringe pieces can join any squad, and the Mandalorians are new to the upcoming set (Bounty Hunters).

If there's one or two particular factions you're interested in, that cuts down on the number of pieces you'll need to buy. For instance, I'm not interested in collecting the Vong or New Republic, so I don't need to find those pieces.

S-Hershey
25 August 2006, 10:58 AM
Lots of good info.

I've also got a blog entry about starting Star Wars Miniatures you may also find helpful.

http://blogs.starwars.com/silverforce/12

Stratos
22 September 2006, 07:05 AM
The blog is very usful indeed! I hope you find Star Wars Miniatures to be a lot of fun!

cheshire
8 October 2006, 03:47 PM
Let me first say thanks to S-Hershey for the comments on the blog. That helped quite a bit.

Okay so, the wife and I finally broke down and bought the game a couple of weeks ago, and it's really interesting.

We tried about a week of play without any expansion sets. That was okay, but not quite worth spending $25 on. We got a great looking board and a nice looking rule book, but I wasn't really convinced that the starter set was particularly balanced.

After buying a couple of booster packs the game really picked up. The ability to play with different squads made the game really varied and enjoyable. I just wish the boosters weren't so expensive. I wasn't pleased to hear from the game store manager that the prices will be going up soon.

With the exception of the price, though, the quick-play beginner rules have been fast-paced, relatively balanced, and really fun. We're about ready to start playing the advanced rules pretty soon. (Except the fact that we're ignoring factions for the sake of keeping things within a budget.)

It is, as I suspected, a bit like Epic Duels. In Epic Duels the combat is resoved in terms of cards and not dice rolls, but otherwise the basics are pretty much the same. The WotC minis game is a lot more fast-paced and a bit more interesting.

Moridin
10 October 2006, 06:19 AM
If pricing is an issue, I can't recommend GameOutfitter (http://www.gameoutfitter.com) enough. It's where I buy all my minis from. If you just want to pad your collection, a lot of online retailers sell commons for dirt cheap, so you could easily stock up on Stormtroopers and the like.

Glad to see you're enjoying the game!

Elvenshae
10 October 2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by cheshire
We tried about a week of play without any expansion sets. That was okay, but not quite worth spending $25 on. We got a great looking board and a nice looking rule book, but I wasn't really convinced that the starter set was particularly balanced.

Yeah - like I mentioned above, the RotS starter set heavily favors Obi-wan. I, however, have found it to be more than worth the money for the board and the rule books. :)

I wasn't pleased to hear from the game store manager that the prices will be going up soon.

Actually, the price changes are already in effect, so you probably already paid the [slightly] higher prices.

(Except the fact that we're ignoring factions for the sake of keeping things within a budget.)

That works - although, occasionally, you'll find that it causes some imbalances. But, since it's a friendly game to begin with, you'll be able to find those and either work around them or ignore them.

The WotC minis game is a lot more fast-paced and a bit more interesting.

Yeah - I like it a lot, too.

In regards to Moridin's recommendation of GameOutfitter, there are other good places to buy large lots of minis online.

If you're interested in buying whole boosters or cases of boosters (6 boosters per case for Huge sets like Bounty Hunters, Starships, or Universe; 12 per case for other sets), I recommend CoolStuff, Inc. (http://www.coolstuffinc.com) They always have good prices on "bulk" purchases, but I find their singles prices to be on the high side.

Then, on eBay, I shop at Auggie's (http://stores.ebay.com/Auggies-Games-n-Movies_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm). He's got some of the lowest Buy-it-Now prices, and a flat shipping rate, to boot.

Stratos
10 October 2006, 08:45 AM
In regards to Moridin's recommendation of GameOutfitter, there are other good places to buy large lots of minis online.

I use Buy.com for cases. I paid under $100.00 for a case of Bounty Hunters - shipped and all!

I use eBay for singles... if my FLGS and gaming groups can't first help me out!

- Stratos