PDA

View Full Version : How did that X-wing get so clean?

gmjabreson
31 August 2006, 05:19 PM
after posting at the Fav Wing poll, I thought about how did Luke's X-wing get so clean on Dagobah after being pulled out of swamp? I mean I didn't think he had a steam cleaner, and how did those engines get cleared out of gunk so quick?
I can understand the cockpit staying dry, it seals, but what about all the stuff that had to have gone into the slot for Artoo? Ooh, I can see Yoda on that with some force training for ya; remove the water, one molecule at a time you must"

Just a few questions that came up, that's all.

Rogue Trader
31 August 2006, 05:43 PM
Hmmm...

Perhaps some of the "gunk" was lost during the X-Wing's ascent back into the atmosphere -- friction and heat either burning away or peeling off a lot of what was left *on* the fighter itself from the swamp.

The "gunk" in the engines may also have been burned out after they were fired up.

cheshire
31 August 2006, 05:52 PM
Part of Luke's training was, "Wax on... Wax off..."

boccelounge
31 August 2006, 07:12 PM
Well, I think that Luke was meant to have been on Dagobah for about six months... so even if the "ship raising" happened in month 4 or 5, Artoo still had a lot of spare time. ;)

(And a lot of previously undocumented features-- like magnetic feet and booster jets... :D ;) )

EDIT:

Originally posted by cheshire
Part of Luke's training was, "Wax on... Wax off..."
Oh crap, that's REALLY funny...

Ronin
31 August 2006, 09:48 PM
As for R2`s slot, I`m guessing there`s a kinda hatch or cover that slides into place automatically when he ejects. :)

The Admiral
1 September 2006, 05:08 AM
There is indeed such a cover, in fact we can see it as it lifts R2 out of the slot. So far the only astromech equipped fighter that doesn't have a cover is the N1

As far as cleaning it goes,

A: Its not all that clean. I'd call it damn grubby.
B: as it comes back up we can see that it is mostly damp with bog weed draped over it, it wouldn't take long to get shot of it.
C: There's no indication that when luke leaves that's the fighters first flight after being raised. I certainly would want to take it for a spin before hopping across the galaxy and I feel fairly confident that any swamp goo would soon find a new home when he popped mach one.
D: As others have mentioned the single sole and solitary function of an astromech is to maintain starships. Cleaning goop out of important bits would certainly count as maintennance.
E: There are two Jedi right next to it, a simple wave of the hand would have got shot of anything unwanted. Except for snakes of course.

gmjabreson
1 September 2006, 05:36 AM
that wax on wax off lesson, he must have failed again. I'm sure there was mud that didn't "rinse out" when Yoda levitated the X-wing in for a better landing than Luke could. Hmmm, I wonder if Artoo's attachements include a steamcleaner?

Rogue Trader
1 September 2006, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by The Admiral
D: As others have mentioned the single sole and solitary function of an astromech is to maintain starships. Cleaning goop out of important bits would certainly count as maintennance.
It's entirely possible that while Luke was loading up the X-Wing after his vision about Han and Leia on Cloud City and preparing to leave, Artoo was initiating basic pre-launch maintenance routines... scouring the X-Wing in order to clean off gunk and remove potentially damaging materials from important systems.

Darth_Xanthor
1 September 2006, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by The Admiral
There is indeed such a cover, in fact we can see it as it lifts R2 out of the slot. So far the only astromech equipped fighter that doesn't have a cover is the N1

As far as cleaning it goes,

A: Its not all that clean. I'd call it damn grubby.
B: as it comes back up we can see that it is mostly damp with bog weed draped over it, it wouldn't take long to get shot of it.
C: There's no indication that when luke leaves that's the fighters first flight after being raised. I certainly would want to take it for a spin before hopping across the galaxy and I feel fairly confident that any swamp goo would soon find a new home when he popped mach one.
E: There are two Jedi right next to it, a simple wave of the hand would have got shot of anything unwanted. Except for snakes of course.

Mace Windu: I am tired of these SITHSPITTING Snakes on my SITHSPITTING Starfighter!!

Snowtiger
1 September 2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Darth_Xanthor

Mace Windu: I am tired of these SITHSPITTING Snakes on my SITHSPITTING Starfighter!!

Yoda: Snakes those are not! Cables torn out you have.
Mace: AW, SITHSPIT!
Yoda: Said it, you have.