PDA

View Full Version : Rolling dice in AIM Chat Rooms, Part Two

JediStrider78
14 May 2006, 06:19 PM
Hey, everyone! Been a while since I've posted (grad school can be a beast).

I wanted to add a comment about a subject I posted on a year ago--the command that allows (or at least did at one point) people to simulate dice rolls in AOL and AIM chat rooms (the command follows the pattern //roll-dice#-sides#). I noticed that, with the most current version of AIM (AIM Triton), the command didn't work in the chat room I set up. However, I downloaded an older version of the AIM software, and the command worked fine.

Just wanted to offer that for any online gaming groups that wanted to use AIM chat rooms to play and wanted a visible means of tracking die rolls and keeping everyone honest! Have fun! :yoda:

--JediStrider78

Chabit Rane
15 May 2006, 08:04 AM
Actually, it does work JediStrider. You just don't see the result yourself. Others in the chatroom can see though. I used AIM Troton and desided that it was not worth it. Now I don't even use AIM at all. I'm using IRC. Works better in my opinion.

JediStrider78
15 May 2006, 07:08 PM
Oh, I see...I guess it's a matter of preference as to whether someone who's using AIM wants to see the results themselves.

How would I use IRC?

Chabit Rane
15 May 2006, 09:25 PM
You need to find a site that hosts it as far as I know.

JediStrider78
15 May 2006, 10:09 PM
Actually, what I meant was, how would I roll dice in IRC? Is there a special command for it?

Chabit Rane
16 May 2006, 05:58 PM
oops, sorry about that. To answer your question about the command, yes there is. One the IRC we use has the following commands:

for rolling a d6 type the following: !r # (# being the number of

dice rolled)

rolling with a pip: !r # #

rolling different types of dice: !r #d#

If your interested, PM me or look for ChabitRaine on AIM. I'll set you up the guy that set ours up. We have the wild dice and pips automatically.