PDA

View Full Version : Torrin

Slave_1
21 September 2006, 10:42 PM
Torrin slid in to the one-piece body glove, enjoying the fit, and the fact that it didn’t pinch in the arm pits the way the old suit did. It was made of a lightweight yet sturdy material –cordalight- that retained body heat while masking the heat signature of the wearer. It was a once piece job that covered everything from the top of his neck to his toes. It also had the added benefit of pulling moister away from the skin to the outer layer of the material which prevented chaffing and rashes.

The second layer of the suit was a composition of material and technology. The inner layer collected the sweat from the cordalight, and channeled it into reservoirs. Movement from the wearer provided pumping actions throughout the suit to move the fluids, including urine, through a series of separators and purified the water it contained. With this system, the wearer could sustain themselves for weeks rather than days, and removed the need to carry water. In fact the only reason it never made it to mass-production was the ‘ick’ factor. Most beings just could not imagine drinking what was once their own waist, even though this is exactly how most public water system in the galaxy work.

Torrin didn’t really mind, much. The fact was it was necessary for his line of work, and he rather preferred this than getting ill from the local water supplies of the various worlds he worked on. Somehow his body always took a couple of days to acclimate properly to a new water source, now matter how pure it was said to be.

The outer layer made up a semi-hard shell that ended at his neck, wrists, and ankles. While not even a match for even an old slug thrower, it would stop most blades and shrapnel from explosions.

The custom crafted armaplast made up the outer most layer of his suit. Unlike the Empire and most Bounty Hunters, Torrin kept his suit colored in dull black and grey’s in a camouflage pattern that worked best in modern urban environment, so that no light reflected from any single piece.

His helmet was a two piece design with the second plate covering his face. A small tube connected the left shoulder to the helmet, giving him access to the water filtered by the rest of the suit. It also contained the usual goodies, macro-binocular viewer/recorder, range finder, mapping capability, sonic enhancements/buffers for hearing protection, and a music player that held just over nine hours of pre-recorded tracks. His personal favorites included selection of Quarren Opera and Jazz from the Goatal home world.

As for weapons, the helmet made it difficult to fire riffles of any type with any degree of accuracy so he relied on two heavy blaster pistols that he fabricated from Blastec EE-3 blaster riffles that he carried in the classic twin shootists rig, and a medium range grenade launcher that he managed to pickup for a mere fifty credits from a friend of his on Alderan of all places.

He also wore a sturdy rucksack that contained ammo, food, a portable shelter, and few other odds and ends that he may need on a mission, including a small fusion generator to recharge his blasters, even if it would take a full day to get all of his power packs fully charged. Though he had never had to use it, he felt the investment was worth it.

His pre-combat inspection was now complete, and he had timed it perfectly. The small comm-unit in his helmet came to life, “One minute to drop, hope your ready?”

It was the voice of the smuggler he had hired to get him to the back water moon of Nar-Shaada.

“Yea.”, he stood and moved to the cargo hatch of the venerable freighter.

A grey skinned Twi’Lek stood by the door, ready and eager to remove this human from his ship. The Twi’Lek distrusted anyone that said as few words as Torrin had said during trip. He nodded once and jerked the hatch popped open.

Torrin could see the city race below the ship, and stepped out into open air. Buildings, flitters, and even droids flew past at an incredible rate as he plummeted towards the ground in a long arc, his momentum carrying forward at nearly four hundred kph. He preyed that his intelligence was correct as the ground levels came rushing up to meet him. The noise of the wind rushing past was deafening, his heart began to race. “I may have made my last mistake…” he thought to himself.

It was then that he felt the first faint tugs of the tractor beams grab hold of him. It was old system that was originally put in place to prevent suicide, and had been abandoned over the years in favor of profits. The Hutt’s had agreed to the system to prevent people from taking the easy way out of debt, but later decided it just cost too much to operate. Rather than shut it off, they just simply stopped the funding, leaving small areas of the vertical city still covered by the project.

Of course, the parts that still worked also alerted local authorities, and would drop him into their waiting stun cuffs. Already a patrol vehicle had stopped at ground level and was waiting for him. He could not afford to be known here, and his bounty was rather high in Imperial sectors. The so-called peace keepers of Nar-Shaada would have no problem collecting the reward, if they could catch him that is.

He drew his grenade launcher and took aim at the small tractor beam emitter. He had to be fast or his forward moment would be completely gone. He took aim and fired, feeling the recoil of the round as it exited the barrel of the weapon. The beam itself worked as a crude guidance system, pulling the explosive right in to the emitter array.

Just as suddenly as he had been locked in the invisible beam, he was free falling again, but now at an angle that sent him hurtling towards a large transparasteel window. If he hit the window he would merely break a few bones as he bounced off, and then plummet to his death.

Torrin had originally hoped for a soft landing on one of the balconies, but the Hutt’s had decided that they didn’t want suicidal beings any higher up than they had to be. This was his first gap in his attempt to gather as much information as he could before arriving on planet.

Ronin
22 September 2006, 08:43 AM
Very good stuff! :)
I like the detail about his suit, very practical. And the stuff about the anti-suicide tractor field was really a great idea. What gave you the inspiration?
My only suggestion would be to run it through Word to catch spelling mistakes first, but otherwise I'm looking forward to the next part...:)

Slave_1
22 September 2006, 09:20 AM
Actually I did use a spell checker ;) just not a grammer checker. Waist instead of Waste etc...

That's what I get for writting at 1am after a working a 14 hour shift. ;)

I am not sure where this story is going but I will continue to add to it now that I have a few days off. Thanks for the kind words! :D

The idea for the tractor system actually came from a SW novel. Luke was jumping from one level to another on a complex that spanned a gorge of some type and used such a system to get down a few levels. I can't remember what book it was, but somehow I remebered that part as I was writting :)

Snowtiger
22 September 2006, 11:21 AM
As far as the suit goes(assuming I get your drift right) it's heavily influenced by similar moisture collecting desert suits used on Arrakis/Dune in Frank Herbert's Dune. The difference is that this suit has been armored, and it has a helmet with advanced sensory equipment built in.

Slave_1
22 September 2006, 12:12 PM
For the most part that's true. I used the "DUNE" suits as a starting point. Not sure where it will end up though, or even if the suit will survive the story. I started this without a plan of any kind, I really have no set "plan" for what will happen.

It was mainly to get myself back in to the habit of writting, as I have been away for a while. However I do like where it is going, so I will keep this plot going for now.

Slave_1
22 September 2006, 01:41 PM
Torrin began to spin through the air as his angle of decent increased. He thumbed the lever just rear of the barrel to the right, opening the weapon and ejecting the primer base of the spent grenade. He didn’t have time to watch it spin away in a wild arc of its own. His fingers attacked the base of another round, but in his mild state of panic, pulling the round proved difficult. Three rounds emerged at the same time, with other two going in wildly different directions.

He stuffed the round in to the barrel, and closed the weapon, all while trying to get into some sort of position that faced his point of impact.

He had not counted on the speed he was still traveling when he fired. He watched the round exit the barrel at what seemed to be a bantha’s pace. With horror he calculated the blast radius of the round, and estimated the distance he would be from the round. His mind was racing with thoughts of a fiery death because of his own mistakes.

As if something from a holo-vid in slow motion, Torrin watched the liquid fire expand, and race back to meet him. A powerful concussion wave slammed his body, a moment before the fire, and had his aim been true, he would now be dead. His shot was high, and the force from the blast only steepened his decent. This allowed his now burning armor to glance off of the building and fall away from the high-rise. Like a meteorite, he spun wildly towards the ground below. However, fate was not done laughing at him just yet.

As with most buildings that towered above four hundred floors in the galaxy, the base of the building was far larger than what most people could see from the air. This building was no exception. However, rather than use nice clean lines that curved, this building was rather old, and resembled an elongated layer cake, with each section having a flat roof. Even falling away, and missing the next “layer” of the building, he could see the bottom layer racing to meet him.

Torrin had never believed in any higher power, or god, goddess or anything else that he could not see. He believed that all religion was a farce put in place in order to dupe the lesser minds of the galaxy into giving up credits. Even now he did not pray to any being to deliver him from his demise. He watched in a surreal peace that he found to be odd as the dura-crete came ever closer. No images of the past came to his vision, no memories of lost love ones or friends entered his thought. Rather, his calculating mind merely studied the event as if it would have a chance to review it at a later time.

PsychoInfiltrator
22 September 2006, 06:35 PM
It is pretty good so far, but I have one small physics issue:

He had not counted on the speed he was still traveling when he fired. He watched the round exit the barrel at what seemed to be a bantha’s pace. With horror he calculated the blast radius of the round, and estimated the distance he would be from the round. His mind was racing with thoughts of a fiery death because of his own mistakes.

Sadly, depending on what you intend, (unless Torrin is very, very fast at making distance calculations,) the physics are in error. You see, do to several laws I have forgotten the neams of, and somewhat related to the Law of Inertia, the grenade launch does not work.

You see, all speed is relative. (Exempting the speed of light, which is a constant.) An object traveling at 20 m/s North appears to be traveling at -1 m/s forward to a person traveling at 21 m/s North. Just look out the left or right side of your car when on a busy highway-you do not pass 60 miles of adjecent, bumper to bumper vehicles in an hour when your speedometer says 60 mph. More importantly, an object released that would normally travel 30 mph now travels 30 mph relative to the car. So, if it is fired forward, it goes at 90 mph relative to the gorund, and, upon being fired backward, 30 mph forward. Of course, then air friction gets to work, but you get my point. (If you do not believe me, I am pretty sure that somebody who actually knows the names of all of these laws, which I think have something to do with Newtonian physics, will be around to prove it soon.) So, consequently, the grenade would still appear to be traveling at a very high speed. However, the rest of your statement could indeed be correct. Of course, my entire discourse is moot if Torrin is just really, really good (and fast) at mental math, and that is all you meant by the uber-slow grenade bit.

Uron Teff
23 September 2006, 12:00 AM
Of course, my entire discourse is moot if Torrin is just really, really good (and fast) at mental math, and that is all you meant by the uber-slow grenade bit.

Well to quote you, PsychoInfiltrator, I think you - at least - partially missed the point. From what I can see a grenade launcher is not shooting bullets at the speed of a pistol or even of a rifle. They are much slower.
Now to discuss the whole "mental calculations", I would say that someone with enough experience could easily perform such a task, subconciously. Like a chess player who evaluades various moves in his head ahead, someone with the proper training and the experience could simply to a "good guess" where the bullet will impact.
Therefore lets just stop the physics-talk and keep in mind that we're in a Universe where guys and gals equipped with swords made of "light" have incredible reactions that they even can redirect ionized gas shot at them. Furthermore, don't forget about the "shoot lightning from the fingertips" thing. :P

Good read by the way. :)

Slave_1
23 September 2006, 10:18 AM
Well to quote you, PsychoInfiltrator, I think you - at least - partially missed the point. From what I can see a grenade launcher is not shooting bullets at the speed of a pistol or even of a rifle. They are much slower.

This is true, at least with the ones I have fired. With the MK-19 used by the army (belt fed full auto ;) ) to aim you basicaly just watch the rounds fly and adjust accordingly. With the M-203 (mounts under the M-16) to much of the weapon is in the way so you use 1 of 2 types of sight systems to aim, but if you keep both eyes open and are firing quite a ways down range you watch the round travel through the air with ease. The weapon Torrin is using is more like the single shot version that was developed and used durring the Vietnam war.

With that out of the way, on to the physics LOL! I agree that all speed is relative and that in the 'real' world this would be true. However, in SW Lucas intentionally made physics adjustable in favor of plot devices. (A burring star destoyer falls out the way of passing ships, yet it is in zero-g space, and really, unless the source of the fire generated its own oxygen there would be no fire to begin with.)

Therefore lets just stop the physics-talk and keep in mind that we're in a Universe where guys and gals equipped with swords made of "light" have incredible reactions that they even can redirect ionized gas shot at them. Furthermore, don't forget about the "shoot lightning from the fingertips" thing.

Luke: I don't believe it.....
Yoda: That is why you fail....

Ronin
24 September 2006, 05:03 AM
Physics aside (this is SW afterall;)) part II was also very good...though I'm not sure how he's going to get out of this one. He forgot a grappling hook?